Genomes and Genes
Summary: Breaks in bones.
- Slinin Y, Paudel M, Taylor B, Fink H, Ishani A, Canales M, et al. 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and cognitive performance and decline in elderly men. Neurology. 2010;74:33-41 pubmed publisher..10]), but no association with cognitive decline by Trails B. We found little evidence of independent associations between lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and baseline global and executive cognitive function or incident cognitive decline. ..
- Darling A, Millward D, Torgerson D, Hewitt C, Lanham New S. Dietary protein and bone health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;90:1674-92 pubmed publisher..Any effects found were small and had 95% CIs that were close to zero. Therefore, there is a small benefit of protein on bone health, but the benefit may not necessarily translate into reduced fracture risk in the long term. ..
- Bederman S, Bhandari M, McKee M, Schemitsch E. Do corticosteroids reduce the risk of fat embolism syndrome in patients with long-bone fractures? A meta-analysis. Can J Surg. 2009;52:386-93 pubmed..syndrome (FES) is a potentially lethal condition most commonly seen in polytrauma patients with multiple long-bone fractures. Treatment has centred around supportive care and early fracture fixation...
- McNamara L. Perspective on post-menopausal osteoporosis: establishing an interdisciplinary understanding of the sequence of events from the molecular level to whole bone fractures. J R Soc Interface. 2010;7:353-72 pubmed publisherCurrent drug treatments for post-menopausal osteoporosis cannot eliminate bone fractures, possibly because the mechanisms responsible for bone loss are not fully understood...
- Zhou F, Guo X, Gao W, Chen X, Li Z, Jiang L. [Clinical significance of MESS scoring system in the treatment of fractures of lower limb combined with vascular injuries]. Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2010;23:445-7 pubmed..5 to 1 year, the movement and sensory function of the limbs recovered well. MESS is a simple and reliable tool to determine the proper strategy for the patients suffering from vascular injuries with fractures. ..
- Lee M, Inman J, Callahan S, Ducic Y. Fracture patterns of the nasal septum. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010;143:784-8 pubmed publisher..To evaluate fracture patterns of the nasal septum...
- Cho C, Mathis J, Ortiz O. Sacral fractures and sacroplasty. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2010;20:179-86 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the incidence, causes, diagnosis, presentation, and treatment options for sacral fractures, and describes detailed technical steps of the sacroplasty procedure. ..
- Gosling C, Forbes A, McGivern J, Gabbe B. A profile of injuries in athletes seeking treatment during a triathlon race series. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38:1007-14 pubmed publisher..Shorter distance triathlons have lower injury rates and relatively minor injuries, but medical teams and race organizers should be prepared for serious injuries. ..
- Ramesh B, Shetty S, Clay N. Volar perilunate dislocation in an ununited scaphoid of a child: a case report. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2010;19:307-9 pubmed publisher..Volar perilunate dislocations of the wrist are rare. An unusual case of volar perilunate dislocation in the presence of an ununited scaphoid in a skeletally immature patient is presented. ..
- Jones R, Burdett S, Jefferies M, Guha A. Treating the boxer's fracture in Wales: a postal survey. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010;92:236-9; quiz 239 pubmed publisher..There is a need to develop evidence-based best practice guidelines which should standardise the treatment of this common injury. Perhaps, a large multicentre outcome study may enable this to be drawn up in the future. ..
- Ohshima H. [Musculoskeletal rehabilitation and bone. Musculoskeletal response to human space flight and physical countermeasures]. Clin Calcium. 2010;20:537-42 pubmed publisher..The musculoskeletal response to human space flight and current physical countermeasure program for station astronauts are described. ..
- Bilik D, McEwen L, Brown M, Pomeroy N, Kim C, Asao K, et al. Thiazolidinediones and fractures: evidence from translating research into action for diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:4560-5 pubmed publisher..In postmenopausal women, risk was associated with higher TZD dose. No difference between rosiglitazone and pioglitazone was apparent. ..
- Guthrie H, Owens R, Bircher M. Fractures of the pelvis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010;92:1481-8 pubmed publisher..We describe the most common modes of internal fixation by injury type and review the factors that influence delayed mortality, adverse functional outcome, sexual dysfunction and venous thromboembolism. ..
- Kwon J, Chacko A, Kadzielski J, Appleton P, Rodriguez E. A novel methodology for the study of injury mechanism: ankle fracture analysis using injury videos posted on YouTube.com. J Orthop Trauma. 2010;24:477-82 pubmed publisher..The current case series illustrates the method's potential and may lead to future research analyzing the validity of the Lauge-Hansen classification system as applied to in vivo injuries. ..
- Terrell K, Hui S, Castelluccio P, Kroenke K, McGrath R, Miller D. Analgesic prescribing for patients who are discharged from an emergency department. Pain Med. 2010;11:1072-7 pubmed publisher..Adult patients who were discharged home from an ED with fractures (clavicle or long bone fractures) or non-fracture musculoskeletal diagnoses (sprains, strains, sciatica, or back pain)...
- Koiwa F, Maruta Y. [CKD-MBD (Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder). Role of cinacalcet in the treatment of CKD-MBD]. Clin Calcium. 2010;20:1089-95 pubmed publisher..Various efficient role of cinacalcet in the treatment of CKD-MBD would be elucidated if results of the clinical studies ongoing now, such as EVOLVE and ADVANCE or MBD-5D planning in Japan, will be published in the near future. ..
- Zhang L, Chen J, Zheng X, Xu Y. [Treatment of tarsometatarsal joint injury combined with metatarsal fracture by open reduction and internal fixation]. Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2010;23:390-2 pubmed..Rebuilding arches of the foot guaranteed the integrity of the stress point scaffold and avoided the pain and limp. The anatomical reduction of tarsometatarsal joint and metatarsal was also important to rebuild the function of foot. ..
- Barnard A, Nelson N, Xiang H, McKenzie L. Pediatric mobility aid-related injuries treated in US emergency departments from 1991 to 2008. Pediatrics. 2010;125:1200-7 pubmed publisher..Injury patterns between younger and older children were different. Additional research is needed to identify effective injury prevention strategies for the pediatric population. ..
- Xu Y, Wen J, Dong J, Pan G, Sun Y, Sang Z, et al. [Effects on VEGF and VEGF mRNA expression of the tissues of periosteum in three-period treatment of TCM for the fractures in rabbit]. Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2010;23:120-4 pubmed..Treating fracture in stages has more predominant effect on the expression of VEGF and VEGF mRNA in the outer periosteum, endosteum and bone marrow than that of treating fracture with single prescription or drug. ..
- Dyer K, Nager C. Pelvic fracture with complete urethrovaginal complex avulsion. Obstet Gynecol. 2010;116 Suppl 2:533-5 pubmed publisher..This case supports the current anatomic understanding of a strong and dense attachment between the urethra and the anterior vaginal wall. ..
- Lee R, Lyles K, Colon Emeric C. A review of the effect of anticonvulsant medications on bone mineral density and fracture risk. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2010;8:34-46 pubmed publisher..Randomized clinical trials are needed to guide the management of bone disease among those who use anticonvulsants. ..
- Occhicone F, Quattrocchi C, Napoli N, Dell Aia P, D Agostino F, Pozzilli P, et al. Incidence of new fractures in women with osteoporosis-induced vertebral fractures detected on routine lateral chest radiographs. Radiol Med. 2010;115:815-25 pubmed publisher..Up to day there are non practice guidelines for a screening evaluation of bone fractures in elderly and most of the fractures remain undiagnosed...
- Yamauchi K, Wakahara K, Fukuta M, Matsumoto K, Sumi H, Shimizu K, et al. Characteristics of upper extremity injuries sustained by falling during snowboarding: a study of 1918 cases. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38:1468-74 pubmed publisher..9%) and upper arm fractures (60.7%) occurred because of forward falls. Two snowboarding stances as well as 2 falling directions had a significant influence on the frequency of the injured side in the upper extremity. ..
- Janezic G, Widni E, Haxhija E, Stradner M, Fröhlich E, Weinberg A. Proliferation analysis of the growth plate after diaphyseal midshaft fracture by 5'-bromo-2'-deoxy-uridine. Virchows Arch. 2010;457:77-85 pubmed publisher..This proliferation was not observed in the contra-lateral uninjured tibia. This investigation shows that the post-traumatic length discrepancy is a local biological process at the growth plate brought about by the fracture. ..
- Vertenten G, Gasthuys F, Cornelissen M, Schacht E, Vlaminck L. Enhancing bone healing and regeneration: present and future perspectives in veterinary orthopaedics. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2010;23:153-62 pubmed publisher..This review will examine the different techniques used to enhance bone regeneration, highlighting both experimental and clinically applicable methods with regard to veterinary orthopaedics. ..
- Döbele S, Horn C, Eichhorn S, Buchholtz A, Lenich A, Burgkart R, et al. The dynamic locking screw (DLS) can increase interfragmentary motion on the near cortex of locked plating constructs by reducing the axial stiffness. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2010;395:421-8 pubmed publisher..The use of DLS reduces the stiffness of the plate-screw interface and thus increases the interfragmentary motion at the near cortical side without altering the advantages of angular stability and the strength. ..
- Ramanujam C, Wade J, Selbst B, Belczyk R, Zgonis T. Recurrent acute compartment syndrome of the foot following a calcaneal fracture repair. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2010;27:469-74 pubmed publisher..This article describes a rare case demonstrating a recurrence of acute compartment syndrome within days of initial fasciotomies and surgical repair of a comminuted calcaneal fracture. ..
- Li M, Liu Y. [Treatment of complex calcaneal fractures with external fixator and limited internal fixation]. Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2010;23:217-9 pubmed..The combination of external fixator and limited internal fixation is an effective treatment for complex calcaneal fractures with few complications and good functional recovery. ..
- Keita M, Doumbia K, Diani M, Diallo M, Coulibaly M, Timbo S, et al. [Head and neck injuries: 184 cases in Mali]. Med Trop (Mars). 2010;70:172-4 pubmed..Shortage of medication and/or disposable treatment kits was a major handicap for optimal management of head and neck injuries. ..
- ..To prevent falls and fall-induced injuries and fractures, multicomponent exercise, home hazard assessment and modification and use of hip protectors have proven efficient. ..
- Patillo D, Khazzam M, Robertson M, Gainor B. Outcome of percutaneous screw fixation of scaphoid fractures. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2010;19:114-20 pubmed..0-mm AO/ASIF cannulated screw is a safe, effective technique that minimizes the need for long-term wrist immobilization, allows an expeditious return to vocational activity, and results in reliable rates of union. ..
- Duque G, Close J, de Jager J, Ebeling P, Inderjeeth C, Lord S, et al. Treatment for osteoporosis in Australian residential aged care facilities: consensus recommendations for fracture prevention. Med J Aust. 2010;193:173-9 pubmed..In general, teriparatide should not be considered as a first-line treatment for fracture prevention, particularly for people in RACFs. ..
- de Larrea C, Rosinol L, Cibeira M, Rozman M, Rovira M, Blade J. Extensive soft-tissue involvement by plasmablastic myeloma arising from displaced humeral fractures. Eur J Haematol. 2010;85:448-51 pubmed publisher..This direct mechanism of myeloma spread has been observed in experimental myeloma mouse models. ..
- Bakhireva L, Shainline M, Carter S, Robinson S, Beaton S, Nawarskas J, et al. Synergistic effect of statins and postmenopausal hormone therapy in the prevention of skeletal fractures in elderly women. Pharmacotherapy. 2010;30:879-87 pubmed publisher..Concurrent statin use and hormone therapy may have a synergistic protective effect on skeletal fractures beyond the additive effect of each individual therapy. ..
- O Brien L, Presnell S. Patient experience of distraction splinting for complex finger fracture dislocations. J Hand Ther. 2010;23:249-9; quiz 260 pubmed publisher..Early preemptive pain control may help optimize adherence to the splint and exercise regime. Findings can be applied to other acute conditions requiring cumbersome splinting and potentially uncomfortable early exercise routines. ..
- Aubry Rozier B, Lamy O. [Fracture risk, new treatments: how does the management of the osteoporosis of elderly change?]. Rev Med Suisse. 2010;6:569-70, 572-4 pubmed..With a better identification, treatment and follow-up of osteoporosis of elderly patients, we can ameliorate the patient's quality of life and decrease the number of osteoporotic fractures with a good cost-effectiveness ratio. ..
- Toussaint N, Elder G, Kerr P. A rational guide to reducing fracture risk in dialysis patients. Semin Dial. 2010;23:43-54 pubmed publisher..This review outlines available evidence on the incidence, risk factors, and management of fractures in CKD-5D with recommendations for strategies to reduce fracture risk. ..
- Dzupa V, Horak L, Gavulová E, Malek J. [Can the sacral spongiosa bleeding cause fatal complications of unstable pelvic fracture?]. Rozhl Chir. 2009;88:699-703 pubmed..The bleeding may be an essential risk for patients life and neither targeted intensive postoperative care can settle the matter. ..
- Blazar P, Leven D. Intramedullary nail fixation for metacarpal fractures. Hand Clin. 2010;26:321-5, v pubmed publisher..Intramedullary nail fixation has been successful in treating metacarpal fractures. Complications can be minimized by taking appropriate precautions and care in performing the surgery. ..
- Hiligsmann M, Vanoverberghe M, Neuprez A, Bruyere O, Reginster J. Cost-effectiveness of strontium ranelate for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2010;10:359-66 pubmed publisher..Further analyses are required to assess the effectiveness and adherence to strontium ranelate in real-life settings, as well as to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of strontium ranelate in other countries and in populations of men. ..
- Reifferscheid F, Stuhr M, Harding U, Schuler C, Thoms J, Puschel K, et al. [Medical coverage of a road bicycle race]. Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther. 2010;45:456-62 pubmed publisher..Objectives regarding the planning of future events and essential medical coverage are consequently discussed. ..
- Takhar S, Hendey G. Orthopedic illnesses in patients with HIV. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2010;28:335-42, Table of Contents pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the manifestations of HIV on musculoskeletal disease as they relate to the emergency physician. ..
- Parmar B, Longsine W, Sabonghy E, Han A, Tasciotti E, Weiner B, et al. Characterization of controlled bone defects using 2D and 3D ultrasound imaging techniques. Phys Med Biol. 2010;55:4839-59 pubmed publisher..In the future, ultrasound imaging techniques might provide a cost-effective, real-time, safe and portable diagnostic tool for bone imaging applications. ..
- Ochman S, Doht S, Paletta J, Langer M, Raschke M, Meffert R. Comparison between locking and non-locking plates for fixation of metacarpal fractures in an animal model. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35:597-603 pubmed publisher..The new generation of locking plates can be used to achieve a higher stability for fixation of metacarpal fractures. Monocortical, stable fixation can minimize flexor tendon interference and probably reduce bone and soft tissue trauma. ..
- Napiontek M, Pietrzak K. [Arthrodesis of the lisfranc joint as salvage procedure after trauma injury]. Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol. 2010;75:98-102 pubmed..Functional results in AOFAS scale ranged from 6 do 90 points (mean 63 points) of 100. Subjective results ranged from 1 to 8 points (mean 5.6 points) of 10. Two females were not satisfied with the results of treament. ..
- Nakamura M, Nakasuji M, Suh S, Nomura M, Imanaka N, Tanaka M, et al. [Ebstein's anomaly in an adult patient detected by sinus tachycardia by preoperative anesthetic interview]. Masui. 2010;59:780-3 pubmed..The number of adult patients with congenital heart disease has increased because techniques of echocardiography and surgical procedure have been improved. Anesthesiologists should be more aware of congenital heart disease in adults. ..
- Qazi R, Martin K. Vitamin D in kidney disease: pathophysiology and the utility of treatment. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2010;39:355-63, table of contents pubmed publisher..How vitamin D physiology is altered in CKD and how the various treatment modalities can alter the morbidity and mortality associated with CKD is the topic of discussion for this article. ..
- Nakagawa H, Niu K, Hozawa A, Ikeda Y, Kaiho Y, Ohmori Matsuda K, et al. Impact of nocturia on bone fracture and mortality in older individuals: a Japanese longitudinal cohort study. J Urol. 2010;184:1413-8 pubmed publisher..98, 95% CI 1.09-3.59, p = 0.03). During a 5-year observation period elderly individuals with nocturia were at greater risk for fracture and death than those without nocturia. ..
- Wei M, Giovannucci E. Vitamin D and multiple health outcomes in the Harvard cohorts. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010;54:1114-26 pubmed publisher..cohorts, including risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension, elevated plasma C-peptide, various cancers, bone fractures, and multiple sclerosis...