Genomes and Genes
maus elberfeld virus
Summary: A strain of ENCEPHALOMYOCARDITIS VIRUS, a species of CARDIOVIRUS, usually causing an inapparent intestinal infection in mice. A small number of mice may show signs of flaccid paralysis.
- Prayoonwiwat N, Rodriguez M. The potential for oligodendrocyte proliferation during demyelinating disease. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1993;52:55-63 pubmed..These experiments support the hypothesis that factors within a demyelinating lesion promote the proliferation and differentiation of cells within the oligodendroglial lineage. ..
- McAllister A, Tangy F, Aubert C, Brahic M. Molecular cloning of the complete genome of Theiler's virus, strain DA, and production of infectious transcripts. Microb Pathog. 1989;7:381-8 pubmed..At this stage no RNA or antigens were found in neurons. Therefore the phenotype of R1-DA was indistinguishable from that of genuine DA Theiler's virus. ..
- Schmeisser H, Mejido J, Balinsky C, Morrow A, Clark C, Zhao T, et al. Identification of alpha interferon-induced genes associated with antiviral activity in Daudi cells and characterization of IFIT3 as a novel antiviral gene. J Virol. 2010;84:10671-80 pubmed publisher..Transcription of AV genes after the treatment of cells with higher concentrations of IFN having an AP effect on Daudi cells suggested pleiotropic functions of identified gene products. ..
- Fujinami R, Zurbriggen A, Powell H. Monoclonal antibody defines determinant between Theiler's virus and lipid-like structures. J Neuroimmunol. 1988;20:25-32 pubmed..Thus, an immune response generated by virus that cross-reacts with a myelin element such as galactocerebroside could play a role in directing autoimmune processes toward myelin destruction. ..
- Peterson J, Karpus W, Clatch R, Miller S. Split tolerance of Th1 and Th2 cells in tolerance to Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus. Eur J Immunol. 1993;23:46-55 pubmed
- Clatch R, Miller S, Metzner R, Dal Canto M, Lipton H. Monocytes/macrophages isolated from the mouse central nervous system contain infectious Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus (TMEV). Virology. 1990;176:244-54 pubmed..On the basis of these findings, limited replication in macrophages is consistent with the total CNS virus content detected at any time during the persistent phase of the infection as well as the slow pace of the infection. ..
- Hirasawa K, Jun H, Han H, Zhang M, Hollenberg M, Yoon J. Prevention of encephalomyocarditis virus-induced diabetes in mice by inhibition of the tyrosine kinase signalling pathway and subsequent suppression of nitric oxide production in macrophages. J Virol. 1999;73:8541-8 pubmed..We conclude that EMC-D virus-induced activation of macrophages resulting in macrophage-mediated beta-cell destruction can be prevented by the inhibition of a tyrosine kinase signalling pathway involved in macrophage activation. ..
- Rubio N, Cuesta A. Lack of cross-reaction between myelin basic proteins and putative demyelinating virus envelope proteins. Mol Immunol. 1989;26:663-8 pubmed..In the human situation, antibodies against SV5 and measles viruses, both etiologically linked with multiple sclerosis, also failed to recognize MBP. These results rule out molecular mimicry as a cause of demyelination...
- Kong W, Ghadge G, Roos R. Involvement of cardiovirus leader in host cell-restricted virus expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:1796-800 pubmed..The functions of L, and even its presence within the genome, vary among picornaviruses, reflecting the various requirements for viral growth among different host cells. ..
- Cash E, Bandeira A, Chirinian S, Brahic M. Characterization of B lymphocytes present in the demyelinating lesions induced by Theiler's virus. J Immunol. 1989;143:984-8 pubmed..Therefore, it is likely that Igs secreted at the site of infection play a role in limiting virus spread. It is also possible that virus induced autoreactive antibodies participate in demyelination. ..
- Rozengurt N, Sanchez S. A spontaneous outbreak of Theiler's encephalomyelitis in a colony of severe combined immunodeficient mice in the UK. Lab Anim. 1993;27:229-34 pubmed..This is the first report of this disease in SCID mice and, to our knowledge, also the first reported outbreak of Theiler's encephalomyelitis in the UK. ..
- Fu J, Stein S, Rosenstein L, Bodwell T, Routbort M, Semler B, et al. Neurovirulence determinants of genetically engineered Theiler viruses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:4125-9 pubmed..Genomic sequences 5' to this region of GDVII RNA also contribute to expression of the full neurovirulence phenotype. These data demonstrate the multigenic nature of TMEV neurovirulence, as has been reported for other viruses. ..
- Rodriguez M. Immunoglobulins stimulate central nervous system remyelination: electron microscopic and morphometric analysis of proliferating cells. Lab Invest. 1991;64:358-70 pubmed..These experiments suggest that immunoglobulins to a spinal cord antigen may induce proliferation of cells in the central nervous system to promote remyelination. ..
- Fiette L, Aubert C, Brahic M, Rossi C. Theiler's virus infection of beta 2-microglobulin-deficient mice. J Virol. 1993;67:589-92 pubmed..These results demonstrate that CD8+ T cells are required to clear Theiler's virus infection. In contrast with a current hypothesis, they also demonstrate that CD8+ T cells are not major mediators of the demyelinating disease. ..
- Yamada M, Zurbriggen A, Fujinami R. The relationship between viral RNA, myelin-specific mRNAs, and demyelination in central nervous system disease during Theiler's virus infection. Am J Pathol. 1990;137:1467-79 pubmed
- Kurtz C, Sun X, Fujinami R. Protection of SJL/J mice from demyelinating disease mediated by Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus. Microb Pathog. 1995;18:11-27 pubmed
- Mulvey M, Fang H, Scraba D. Purification and characterization of the U-particle, a cellular constituent whose synthesis is stimulated by Mengovirus infection. Arch Virol Suppl. 1994;9:299-306 pubmed..U-particles are capable of inhibiting mRNA translation in vitro...