Genomes and Genes
zika virus infection
Summary: A viral disease transmitted by the bite of AEDES mosquitoes infected with ZIKA VIRUS. Its mild DENGUE-like symptoms include fever, rash, headaches and ARTHRALGIA. The viral infection during pregnancy, in rare cases, is a cause of congenital brain abnormalities, including MICROCEPHALY and may also lead to GUILLAIN-BARRE SYNDROME.
- Aleman T, Ventura C, Cavalcanti M, Serrano L, Traband A, Nti A, et al. Quantitative Assessment of Microstructural Changes of the Retina in Infants With Congenital Zika Syndrome. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:1069-1076 pubmed publisher..The retina as an extension of the diencephalon accessible to in vivo microcopy with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) can provide an insight into the pathophysiology of congenital Zika syndrome (CZS)...
- Fleming Dutra K, Nelson J, Fischer M, Staples J, Karwowski M, Mead P, et al. Update: Interim Guidelines for Health Care Providers Caring for Infants and Children with Possible Zika Virus Infection--United States, February 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:182-7 pubmed publisher..As new information becomes available, these guidelines will be updated: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/. ..
- L Huillier A, Hamid Allie A, Kristjanson E, Papageorgiou L, Hung S, Wong C, et al. Evaluation of Euroimmun Anti-Zika Virus IgM and IgG Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays for Zika Virus Serologic Testing. J Clin Microbiol. 2017;55:2462-2471 pubmed publisher..However, the sensitivity of the combined Euroimmun IgM/IgG against the PRNT was significantly higher (83 to 92%). More studies are needed before commercial assays are implemented for routine ZIKV serologic diagnosis. ..
- Shapiro Mendoza C, Rice M, Galang R, Fulton A, VanMaldeghem K, Prado M, et al. Pregnancy Outcomes After Maternal Zika Virus Infection During Pregnancy - U.S. Territories, January 1, 2016-April 25, 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66:615-621 pubmed publisher..women living in or traveling to areas with local mosquito-borne Zika virus transmission are at risk for Zika virus infection, which can lead to severe fetal and infant brain abnormalities and microcephaly (1)...
- Thomas D, Sharp T, Torres J, Armstrong P, Muñoz Jordán J, Ryff K, et al. Local Transmission of Zika Virus--Puerto Rico, November 23, 2015-January 28, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:154-8 pubmed publisher..2016, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the occurrence of microcephaly cases in association with Zika virus infection to be a Public Health Emergency of International Concern...
- Tripathi S, Balasubramaniam V, Brown J, Mena I, Grant A, Bardina S, et al. A novel Zika virus mouse model reveals strain specific differences in virus pathogenesis and host inflammatory immune responses. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006258 pubmed publisher..This study paves the way for the future interrogation of strain-specific changes in the ZIKV genome and their contribution to viral pathogenesis. ..
- Tan C, Wong P, Li M, Yang H, Ng L, O Neill S. wMel limits zika and chikungunya virus infection in a Singapore Wolbachia-introgressed Ae. aegypti strain, wMel-Sg. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005496 pubmed publisher..aegypti genetic background. These results also strongly suggest that female Aedes aegypti carrying Wolbachia will have a reduced capacity to transmit ZIKV and CHIKV. ..
- Adebanjo T, Godfred Cato S, Viens L, Fischer M, Staples J, Kuhnert Tallman W, et al. Update: Interim Guidance for the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Management of Infants with Possible Congenital Zika Virus Infection - United States, October 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66:1089-1099 pubmed publisher..S. health care providers caring for infants with possible congenital Zika virus infection (1) in response to recently published updated guidance for health care providers caring for pregnant women ..
- Tepper N, Goldberg H, Bernal M, Rivera B, Frey M, Malave C, et al. Estimating Contraceptive Needs and Increasing Access to Contraception in Response to the Zika Virus Disease Outbreak--Puerto Rico, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:311-4 pubmed publisherZika virus is a flavivirus transmitted primarily by Aedes species mosquitoes. Increasing evidence links Zika virus infection during pregnancy to adverse pregnancy and birth outcomes, including pregnancy loss, intrauterine growth ..
- Zin A, Tsui I, Rossetto J, Vasconcelos Z, Adachi K, Valderramos S, et al. Screening Criteria for Ophthalmic Manifestations of Congenital Zika Virus Infection. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:847-854 pubmed publisherCurrent guidelines recommend screening eye examinations for infants with microcephaly or laboratory-confirmed Zika virus infection but not for all infants potentially exposed to Zika virus in utero.
- Magnani D, Silveira C, Rosen B, Ricciardi M, Pedreño Lopez N, Gutman M, et al. A human inferred germline antibody binds to an immunodominant epitope and neutralizes Zika virus. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005655 pubmed publisher..Importantly, binding of this mAb to ZIKV was specifically inhibited by human plasma from ZIKV-exposed individuals, suggesting that it may be of value in a diagnostic setting. ..
- Reefhuis J, Gilboa S, Johansson M, Valencia D, Simeone R, Hills S, et al. Projecting Month of Birth for At-Risk Infants after Zika Virus Disease Outbreaks. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:828-32 pubmed publisher..in Brazil after a 2015 outbreak of Zika virus (Zika virus) disease suggests an association between maternal Zika virus infection and congenital microcephaly...
- Krystosik A, Curtis A, Buritica P, Ajayakumar J, Squires R, Dávalos D, et al. Community context and sub-neighborhood scale detail to explain dengue, chikungunya and Zika patterns in Cali, Colombia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181208 pubmed publisher..Resulting risk maps with local context could be leveraged to increase vector-control efficiency- targeting key areas of environmental risk. ..
- Olson J, Ksiazek T, Suhandiman -, Triwibowo -. Zika virus, a cause of fever in Central Java, Indonesia. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1981;75:389-93 pubmed..The onsets of illness clustered toward the end of the rainy season when populations of Aedes aegypti, a probable vector in Malaysia, were most abundant. ..
- Silveira E, Rogers K, Gumber S, Amancha P, Xiao P, Woollard S, et al. Immune Cell Dynamics in Rhesus Macaques Infected with a Brazilian Strain of Zika Virus. J Immunol. 2017;199:1003-1011 pubmed publisher..ZIKV infection caused a significant lymphoid tissue activation but limited induction of ZIKV-specific B cells, suggesting that these parameters need to be considered for ZIKV vaccine design. ..
- Da Silva I, Frontera J, Bispo de Filippis A, Nascimento O. Neurologic Complications Associated With the Zika Virus in Brazilian Adults. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1190-1198 pubmed publisher..There are no prospective cohort studies assessing the incidence and spectrum of neurologic manifestations secondary to Zika virus (ZIKV) infection in adults...
- ..This review provides a historical perspective at the centenary of the first description of the syndrome, insights into its pathogenesis, triage, initial immunotherapy, and management in the intensive care unit. ..
- Shan C, Muruato A, Nunes B, Luo H, Xie X, Medeiros D, et al. A live-attenuated Zika virus vaccine candidate induces sterilizing immunity in mouse models. Nat Med. 2017;23:763-767 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the safety and efficacy results suggest that further development of this promising, live-attenuated ZIKV vaccine candidate is warranted. ..
- Fernandez E, Dejnirattisai W, Cao B, Scheaffer S, Supasa P, Wongwiwat W, et al. Human antibodies to the dengue virus E-dimer epitope have therapeutic activity against Zika virus infection. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:1261-1269 pubmed publisher..Because neutralizing antibodies to EDE have therapeutic potential against ZIKV, in addition to their established inhibitory effects against DENV, it may be possible to develop therapies that control disease caused by both viruses. ..
- Deckard D, CHUNG W, Brooks J, Smith J, Woldai S, Hennessey M, et al. Male-to-Male Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus--Texas, January 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:372-4 pubmed publisherb>Zika virus infection has been linked to increased risk for Guillain-Barré syndrome and adverse fetal outcomes, including congenital microcephaly...
- Parra Saavedra M, Reefhuis J, Piraquive J, Gilboa S, Badell M, Moore C, et al. Serial Head and Brain Imaging of 17 Fetuses With Confirmed Zika Virus Infection in Colombia, South America. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;130:207-212 pubmed publisher..fetal ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging findings among a series of pregnant women with confirmed Zika virus infection to evaluate the signs of congenital Zika syndrome with respect to timing of infection...
- Nguyen S, Antony K, Dudley D, Kohn S, Simmons H, Wolfe B, et al. Highly efficient maternal-fetal Zika virus transmission in pregnant rhesus macaques. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006378 pubmed publisher..The results may also suggest that maternal-fetal ZIKV transmission in human pregnancy may be more frequent than currently appreciated. ..
- Goodridge K, Reveiz L, Elias V. An overview of financial sources being utilized to support Zika Virus published research. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183134 pubmed publisher..1%) and epidemiology (46/268, 17.2%). The evidence suggests international efforts to fund ZIKV research and a need to foster collaborative and synchronized priority setting for resource allocation. ..
- Atkinson B, Thorburn F, Petridou C, Bailey D, Hewson R, Simpson A, et al. Presence and Persistence of Zika Virus RNA in Semen, United Kingdom, 2016. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:611-615 pubmed publisher..serial semen samples from symptomatic male patients in the United Kingdom who had a diagnosis of imported Zika virus infection. Among the initial semen samples from 23 patients, Zika virus RNA was detected at high levels in 13 (56...
- Wang C, Yang S, Smith K, Forwood J, Jans D. Nuclear import inhibitor N-(4-hydroxyphenyl) retinamide targets Zika virus (ZIKV) nonstructural protein 5 to inhibit ZIKV infection. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1555-1559 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we show that 4-HPR has potent anti-ZIKV activity at low ?M concentrations. With an established safety profile for human use, 4-HPR represents an exciting possibility as an anti-ZIKV agent...
- Liu Z, Yu J, Huang X, Fan H, Li X, Deng Y, et al. Characterization of cis-Acting RNA Elements of Zika Virus by Using a Self-Splicing Ribozyme-Dependent Infectious Clone. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..This novel self-splicing ribozyme-based reverse genetics platform will be widely utilized in future ZIKV studies and provide insight for the development of infectious clones of other emerging viruses. ..
- Cavalcanti D, Alves L, Furtado G, Santos C, Feitosa F, Ribeiro M, et al. Echocardiographic findings in infants with presumed congenital Zika syndrome: Retrospective case series study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175065 pubmed publisher..However the types of defects noted were septal defects, a proportion of which would not be hemodynamically significant. ..
- Samarasekera U, Triunfol M. Concern over Zika virus grips the world. Lancet. 2016;387:521-4 pubmed
- . Interim Guidance for Zika Virus Testing of Urine - United States, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:474 pubmed publisherDiagnostic testing for Zika virus infection can be accomplished using molecular and serologic methods...
- Hastings A, Yockey L, Jagger B, Hwang J, Uraki R, Gaitsch H, et al. TAM Receptors Are Not Required for Zika Virus Infection in Mice. Cell Rep. 2017;19:558-568 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that, in mice, TAM receptors are not required for ZIKV entry and infection. ..