Genomes and Genes
Summary: A general term for diseases caused by viruses.
- Khamis F, al Kobaisi M, Al Areimi W, al Kindi H, Al Zakwani I. Epidemiology of respiratory virus infections among infants and young children admitted to hospital in Oman. J Med Virol. 2012;84:1323-9 pubmed publisher..80%; P?=?0.039), and bronchiolitis (57% vs. 38%; P?=?0.024). The study indicated that respiratory viruses are highly prevalent in children ?5 years presenting with acute respiratory infections in Oman, of which RSV is the most prominent...
- Chhabra P, Payne D, Szilagyi P, Edwards K, Staat M, Shirley S, et al. Etiology of viral gastroenteritis in children <5 years of age in the United States, 2008-2009. J Infect Dis. 2013;208:790-800 pubmed publisher..Although rotavirus and norovirus cause nearly 40% of severe endemic acute gastroenteritis (AGE) in children <5 years of age in the United States, there are limited data on the etiologic role of other enteric viruses in this age group...
- Kwofie T, Anane Y, Nkrumah B, Annan A, Nguah S, Owusu M. Respiratory viruses in children hospitalized for acute lower respiratory tract infection in Ghana. Virol J. 2012;9:78 pubmed publisher..Information on the viral aetiology of acute respiratory infections in developing countries is very limited. The study was done to identify viruses associated with acute lower respiratory tract infection among children less than 5 years...
- Forman M, Advani S, Newman C, Gaydos C, Milstone A, Valsamakis A. Diagnostic performance of two highly multiplexed respiratory virus assays in a pediatric cohort. J Clin Virol. 2012;55:168-72 pubmed publisher..Multiplex nucleic acid tests (NATs) have begun to replace conventional methods as gold standards for respiratory virus detection...
- Kossiva L, Gourgiotis D, Tsentidis C, Anastasiou T, Marmarinos A, Vasilenko H, et al. Serum hepcidin and ferritin to iron ratio in evaluation of bacterial versus viral infections in children: a single-center study. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012;31:795-8 pubmed publisher..Hepcidin is a central component of blood iron, and ferritin alterations occur during infections. We measured hepcidin changes and evaluated ferritin to iron ratio (FIR) in patients with suspected infections...
- Schaffner F, Medlock J, Van Bortel W. Public health significance of invasive mosquitoes in Europe. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013;19:685-92 pubmed publisher..Beside vector surveillance, enhanced disease surveillance will enable the early detection of cases and the prompt implementation of control measures. ..
- Reich N. A death-promoting role for ISG54/IFIT2. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2013;33:199-205 pubmed publisher..The apoptotic response to ISG54/IFIT2 may contribute to other functions that have been reported, including translational regulation, inhibition of tumor colonization, and protection against a lethal viral infection...
- Yamashita M, Chattopadhyay S, Fensterl V, Saikia P, Wetzel J, Sen G. Epidermal growth factor receptor is essential for Toll-like receptor 3 signaling. Sci Signal. 2012;5:ra50 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results reveal a connection between antiviral innate immunity and cell growth regulators...
- Taylor K, Mossman K. Recent advances in understanding viral evasion of type I interferon. Immunology. 2013;138:190-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, some viruses disrupt IFN responses by co-opting negative regulatory systems, whereas others use antiviral mechanisms to their own advantage. Here, we review recent developments in this field...
- Netherton C, Wileman T. Virus factories, double membrane vesicles and viroplasm generated in animal cells. Curr Opin Virol. 2011;1:381-7 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss how three supergroups of (+)RNA viruses generate replication sites from membrane-bound organelles and highlight research on perinuclear factories induced by the nucleocytoplasmic large DNA viruses...
- Chang C, Tan A, Or M, Toh K, Lim P, Chia A, et al. Conditional ligands for Asian HLA variants facilitate the definition of CD8+ T-cell responses in acute and chronic viral diseases. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:1109-20 pubmed publisher..This flow cytometry-based technology therefore holds considerable promise for monitoring clinically relevant antigen-specific T-cell responses in populations of distinct ethnicity...
- Diamond M, Farzan M. The broad-spectrum antiviral functions of IFIT and IFITM proteins. Nat Rev Immunol. 2013;13:46-57 pubmed publisher..This Review focuses on recent advances in identifying the unique mechanisms of action of IFIT and IFITM proteins, which explain their broad-spectrum activity against the replication, spread and pathogenesis of a range of human viruses...
- Choi S, Hong S, Ko G, Lee Y, Park H, Park S, et al. Viral infection in patients with severe pneumonia requiring intensive care unit admission. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012;186:325-32 pubmed publisher..The role of viruses in pneumonia in adults and the impact of viral infection on mortality have not been elucidated. Previous studies have significant limitations in that they relied predominantly on upper respiratory specimens...
- Babady N, Mead P, Stiles J, Brennan C, Li H, Shuptar S, et al. Comparison of the Luminex xTAG RVP Fast assay and the Idaho Technology FilmArray RP assay for detection of respiratory viruses in pediatric patients at a cancer hospital. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:2282-8 pubmed publisher..The sensitivity, simplicity, and random-access platform make FA RVP an excellent choice for laboratory on-demand service with low to medium volume...
- Huguenin A, Moutte L, Renois F, Leveque N, Talmud D, Abely M, et al. Broad respiratory virus detection in infants hospitalized for bronchiolitis by use of a multiplex RT-PCR DNA microarray system. J Med Virol. 2012;84:979-85 pubmed publisher..It should improve the clinical management, the epidemiological survey, and the prevention of the nosocomial transmission of respiratory viruses in pediatric wards...
- Liu H, Hicks J, Yoo D. Proteomic dissection of viral pathogenesis. Dev Biol (Basel). 2008;132:43-53 pubmed..In this review, the focus is on various proteomic approaches to dissecting the mechanisms of viral pathogenesis...
- . Causes and outcomes of sepsis in southeast Asia: a multinational multicentre cross-sectional study. Lancet Glob Health. 2017;5:e157-e167 pubmed publisher..National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, USA, and Wellcome Trust, UK. ..
- Rai M, Deshmukh S, Ingle A, Gupta I, Galdiero M, Galdiero S. Metal nanoparticles: The protective nanoshield against virus infection. Crit Rev Microbiol. 2016;42:46-56 pubmed publisher..It is also focused on how silver nanoparticles can be used in therapeutics by considering their cytotoxic level, to avoid human and environmental risks. ..
- Broyles J, Alrakan M, Ensor C, Khalifian S, Kotton C, Avery R, et al. Characterization, prophylaxis, and treatment of infectious complications in craniomaxillofacial and upper extremity allotransplantation: a multicenter perspective. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133:543e-51e pubmed publisher..Because of the anatomy, mucosal exposure, and differing donor flora, however, the face or limb transplant is susceptible to invasive diseases from a variety of microbes. ..
- Mocarski E, Kaiser W, Livingston Rosanoff D, Upton J, Daley Bauer L. True grit: programmed necrosis in antiviral host defense, inflammation, and immunogenicity. J Immunol. 2014;192:2019-26 pubmed publisher..The entwined relationship of apoptosis and necrosis evolved in response to pathogen-encoded suppressors to support host defense and contribute to inflammation. ..
- Jackman J, Lee J, Cho N. Nanomedicine for Infectious Disease Applications: Innovation towards Broad-Spectrum Treatment of Viral Infections. Small. 2016;12:1133-9 pubmed publisher..With these exciting opportunities, due attention is also given to the clinical translation of nanomedicines for infectious disease applications, especially as pharmaceutical drug-discovery pipelines demand new routes of innovation. ..
- Chen Y, Shi M, Cheng Y, Zhang W, Tang Q, Xia X. FVD: The fish-associated virus database. Infect Genet Evol. 2018;58:23-26 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it may facilitate the surveillance and prevention of fish viral diseases. Database URL: http://bioinfo.ihb.ac.cn/fvd. ..
- Quicke K, Diamond M, Suthar M. Negative regulators of the RIG-I-like receptor signaling pathway. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:615-628 pubmed publisher..This review highlights contemporary findings on negative regulators of the RLR signaling pathway, with specific focus on the proteins and biological processes that directly regulate RIG-I, MDA5 and MAVS signaling function...
- Yang Y, Debold V. A longitudinal analysis of the effect of nonmedical exemption law and vaccine uptake on vaccine-targeted disease rates. Am J Public Health. 2014;104:371-7 pubmed publisher..If all states increased their NME law restrictiveness by 1 level and diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus uptake by 1%, national annual pertussis cases could decrease by 1.14% (171 cases) and 0.04% (5 cases), respectively. ..
- Carosella E. [HLA-G: from feto-maternal tolerance to organ acceptance]. Bull Acad Natl Med. 2014;198:801-11; discussion 812 pubmed..HLA-G can also be expressed by tumor cells and their microenvironment, endowing them with significant local tolerance. The same is true in some inflammatory and viral diseases. ..
- Nie Y, Ran Y, Zhang H, Huang Z, Pan Z, Wang S, et al. GPATCH3 negatively regulates RLR-mediated innate antiviral responses by disrupting the assembly of VISA signalosome. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006328 pubmed publisher..Taking together, our findings demonstrate that GPATCH3 interacts with VISA and disrupts the assembly of virus-induced VISA signalosome therefore acts as a negative regulator of RLR-mediated innate antiviral immune responses. ..
- D Cruz A, Kershaw N, Chiang J, Wang M, Nicola N, Babon J, et al. Crystal structure of the TRIM25 B30.2 (PRYSPRY) domain: a key component of antiviral signalling. Biochem J. 2013;456:231-40 pubmed publisher..This was supported by mutagenesis and functional analyses, which identified two key residues (Asp(488) and Trp(621)) in the TRIM25 B30.2 domain as being critical for binding to the RIG-I CARDs. ..
- Serdar T, Derek L, Unic A, Marijancevic D, Marković D, Primorac A, et al. Occupational exposures in healthcare workers in University Hospital Dubrava--10 year follow-up study. Cent Eur J Public Health. 2013;21:150-4 pubmed..It is therefore deemed necessary to prevent occupational exposure to blood-borne infections. The most important preventive action in respect to HBV, HCV and HIV infections is nonspecific pre-exposure prophylaxis. ..
- Lee R, Lessler J, Lee R, Rudolph K, Reich N, Perl T, et al. Incubation periods of viral gastroenteritis: a systematic review. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:446 pubmed publisher..This can translate into improved prevention and control efforts in settings with transmission or the risk of transmission. ..
- Schilimow A, Wiechens B. [Central scotoma after viral prodrome]. Ophthalmologe. 2016;113:240-3 pubmed publisher..As a rule the disease has a spontaneous and favorable course. ..
- Goyal M, Johnson T, Chamberlain J, Casper T, Simmons T, Alessandrini E, et al. Racial and Ethnic Differences in Antibiotic Use for Viral Illness in Emergency Departments. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Future research should seek to understand why racial and ethnic differences in overprescribing exist, including parental expectations, provider perceptions of parental expectations, and implicit provider bias. ..
- Enan K, Nabeshima T, Kubo T, Buerano C, El Hussein A, Elkhidir I, et al. Survey of causative agents for acute respiratory infections among patients in Khartoum-State, Sudan, 2010-2011. Virol J. 2013;10:312 pubmed publisher..In Sudan, the existence of respiratory viruses in patients with acute respiratory infection was confirmed and characterized for the first time by using molecular techniques. ..
- Li L, Wang Q, Han L, Wang J, Shao S, Wang L, et al. Molecular characterization of Sp110 gene in pigs. Mol Genet Genomics. 2016;291:1431-42 pubmed publisher..Overall the data provide potential resource for molecular breeding of pig resistant to diseases and contributes to breeding pigs resistant to viral infection. ..
- Eze J, Scott E, Pollock K, Stidson R, Miller C, Lee D. The association of weather and bathing water quality on the incidence of gastrointestinal illness in the west of Scotland. Epidemiol Infect. 2014;142:1289-99 pubmed publisher..Future climate change and prolonged precipitation events may result in increasing levels of faecal indicator organisms in bathing waters leading to likely increases in IIDs. ..
- Malinowska M, Niedźwiedzka Rystwej P, Tokarz Deptuła B, Deptuła W. Stress granules (SG) and processing bodies (PB) in viral infections. Acta Biochim Pol. 2016;63:183-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, there are viruses like West Nile Virus, Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) or human Herpes viruses, which influence the functioning of the granules. ..
- Kouadio K, Okeibunor J, Nsubuga P, Mihigo R, Mkanda P. Polio infrastructure strengthened disease outbreak preparedness and response in the WHO African Region. Vaccine. 2016;34:5175-5180 pubmed publisher..Angola, Nigeria and Ethiopia, many disease epidemics including Marburg Hemorrhagic fever, Dengue fever, Ebola Virus Diseases (EVD), Measles, Anthrax and Shigella have been controlled using existing polio Eradication Initiatives ..
- Kenney A, Dowdle J, Bozzacco L, McMichael T, St Gelais C, Panfil A, et al. Human Genetic Determinants of Viral Diseases. Annu Rev Genet. 2017;51:241-263 pubmed publisher..Understanding the genetic underpinnings that affect infectious disease outcomes should allow tailored treatment and prevention approaches in the future. ..
- Heider S, Reimhult E, Metzner C. Real-time analysis of protein and protein mixture interaction with lipid bilayers. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr. 2018;1860:319-328 pubmed publisher..We believe that this methodology may be developed into a new approach in virology and membrane research by enabling the combination of biophysical and biochemical information. ..
- Rani S, Kumar S. Evaluation of infectious bursal disease virus stability at different conditions of temperature and pH. Biologicals. 2015;43:515-8 pubmed publisher..The study will be useful in estimating an optimum storage condition for IBDV vaccines without causing any deterioration in its viability and effectiveness. ..
- Shartouny J, Jacob J. Mining the tree of life: Host defense peptides as antiviral therapeutics. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2018;: pubmed publisher..This review looks at the discovery and therapeutic potential of HDPs for human viral infections. ..
- Zimbres F, Tarnok A, Ulrich H, Wrenger C. Aptamers: novel molecules as diagnostic markers in bacterial and viral infections?. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:731516 pubmed publisher..In this minireview we will discuss the current status of the SELEX technique applied on bacterial and viral pathogens. ..
- Dong C, Wang Z, Weng S, He J. Occurrence of a lethal ranavirus in hybrid mandarin (Siniperca scherzeri×Siniperca chuatsi) in Guangdong, South China. Vet Microbiol. 2017;203:28-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that MRV is an emerging causative agent of mass mortality in mandarin species. ..
- Esposito S, Passera S. Vaccination in patients with disorders of the muscle and neuromuscular junction. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2013;12:1341-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, annual influenza vaccination and pneumococcal vaccination are recommended for almost all patients with disorders of the muscle and neuromuscular junction. ..
- Quach H, Rotival M, Pothlichet J, Loh Y, Dannemann M, Zidane N, et al. Genetic Adaptation and Neandertal Admixture Shaped the Immune System of Human Populations. Cell. 2016;167:643-656.e17 pubmed publisher..Together, our study uncovers evolutionarily important determinants of differences in host immune responsiveness between human populations. ..
- Srugo I, Klein A, Stein M, Golan Shany O, Kerem N, Chistyakov I, et al. Validation of a Novel Assay to Distinguish Bacterial and Viral Infections. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Assay was significantly more accurate than CRP, procalcitonin, and routine laboratory parameters. Additional studies are warranted to support its potential to improve antimicrobial treatment decisions. ..
- Chang M, Zou J, Nie P, Huang B, Yu Z, Collet B, et al. Intracellular interferons in fish: a unique means to combat viral infection. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003736 pubmed publisher..These results show that fish possess a functioning iIFN system that may act as a novel defence to combat viral infection. ..
- Niu J, Smagghe G, De Coninck D, Van Nieuwerburgh F, Deforce D, Meeus I. In vivo study of Dicer-2-mediated immune response of the small interfering RNA pathway upon systemic infections of virulent and avirulent viruses in Bombus terrestris. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;70:127-37 pubmed publisher..This report may also enhance the current understanding of the siRNA pathway in the innate immunity of non-model insects upon different viral infections. ..
- Delli K, Spijkervet F, Vissink A. Salivary gland diseases: infections, sialolithiasis and mucoceles. Monogr Oral Sci. 2014;24:135-48 pubmed publisher..They result from extravasation of saliva into the surrounding soft tissues or from retention of saliva within the duct...
- Doherty M, Ford N, Vitoria M, Weiler G, HIRNSCHALL G. The 2013 WHO guidelines for antiretroviral therapy: evidence-based recommendations to face new epidemic realities. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2013;8:528-34 pubmed publisher..The review summarizes the key new recommendations of the WHO 2013 guidelines for antiretroviral therapy and describes the potential impact of these recommendations on the HIV epidemic...
- Richardson L, Brite J, del Castillo M, Childers T, Sheahan A, Huang Y, et al. Comparison of respiratory virus shedding by conventional and molecular testing methods in patients with haematological malignancy. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016;22:380.e1-380.e7 pubmed publisher..In high-risk oncology settings for respiratory illness due to RSV and PIV, the virus is detectable by PCR for a longer period of time than by culture and extended shedding is observed. ..
- Lupo J, Morel Baccard C, Michard Lenoir A, Germi R, Pothier P, Ambert Balay K, et al. Fatal case of acute gastroenteritis with multiple viral coinfections. J Clin Virol. 2016;74:54-6 pubmed publisher..We discuss whether concomitant viral infections could be a risk factor for severe outcome in gastroenteritis cases. Individual risk factors are also addressed. ..
- ..One can thus conclude that the continuous interaction between viruses and cells, all along the history of life, has been, and still is, a major engine of biological evolution. ..
- Fletcher A, Acton S, Knoblich K. Lymph node fibroblastic reticular cells in health and disease. Nat Rev Immunol. 2015;15:350-61 pubmed..Lastly, we review emerging therapeutic advances that harness the immunoregulatory properties of FRCs...
- Hewitt R, Farne H, Ritchie A, Luke E, Johnston S, Mallia P. The role of viral infections in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2016;10:158-74 pubmed publisher..In this review we discuss current knowledge of virus-induced exacerbations of asthma and COPD with a particular focus on mechanisms, human studies, virus-bacteria interactions and therapeutic advances. ..
- Li X, Liu C, Xue W, Zhang Y, Jiang S, Yin Q, et al. Coordinated circRNA Biogenesis and Function with NF90/NF110 in Viral Infection. Mol Cell. 2017;67:214-227.e7 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore implicate a coordinated regulation of circRNA biogenesis and function by NF90/NF110 in viral infection. ..
- Huber L, Isenring B, Schuurmans M. [Diagnosis, therapy and prevention of respiratory virus infections in lung transplant recipients]. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2014;103:453-9 pubmed publisher..Treatment duration is often longer than in immunocompetent patients. As preventive measures we provide vaccination against seasonal influenza and recommend specific daily hygiene measures. ..
- Court D, Gan J, Liang Y, Shaw G, Tropea J, Costantino N, et al. RNase III: Genetics and function; structure and mechanism. Annu Rev Genet. 2013;47:405-31 pubmed publisher..Recent insight into the mechanism of dsRNA binding and processing, gained from structural studies of RNase III, is reviewed. Structural studies also reveal new cleavage sites in the enzyme that can generate longer 3' overhangs. ..
- AntÃ³n A, Marcos M, Torner N, Isanta R, Camps M, MartÃnez A, et al. Virological surveillance of influenza and other respiratory viruses during six consecutive seasons from 2006 to 2012 in Catalonia, Spain. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016;22:564.e1-9 pubmed publisher..A wide knowledge of the seasonality patterns of the RV in the general population is well-appreciated, but it is a challenge due to the unpredictable circulation of RV, highlighting the value of local and global RV surveillance. ..
- Ezelle H, Malathi K, Hassel B. The Roles of RNase-L in Antimicrobial Immunity and the Cytoskeleton-Associated Innate Response. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..In order to better understand the significance and context of these novel binding partners in the antimicrobial response, other innate immune protein interactions with the cytoskeleton are also discussed. ..
- Misumi I, Whitmire J. IFN-? exerts opposing effects on T cell responses depending on the chronicity of the virus infection. J Immunol. 2014;192:3596-606 pubmed publisher..Thus, the immune-regulatory functions for IFN-?R are complex and vary with the overall inflammatory environment...
- Shan Z, Han Q, Nie J, Cao X, Chen Z, Yin S, et al. Negative regulation of interferon-induced transmembrane protein 3 by SET7-mediated lysine monomethylation. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:35093-103 pubmed publisher..These findings may have important implications in the design of therapeutics targeting protein methylation against infectious diseases. ..
- Jean Beltran P, Cook K, Cristea I. Exploring and Exploiting Proteome Organization during Viral Infection. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Here, we highlight recent advances in microscopy and proteomic methods that have helped and will continue to help define mechanisms used by viruses to exploit host proteome organization. ..
- Pillet S, Lardeux M, Dina J, Grattard F, Verhoeven P, Le Goff J, et al. Comparative evaluation of six commercialized multiplex PCR kits for the diagnosis of respiratory infections. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72174 pubmed publisher..The spectrum of tested agents and the technology used to reveal the PCR products as well as the laboratory organization are determinant for the selection of a kit. ..
- Miner J, Diamond M. Mechanisms of restriction of viral neuroinvasion at the blood-brain barrier. Curr Opin Immunol. 2016;38:18-23 pubmed publisher..This review highlights how different inflammatory cytokines or signaling pathways disrupt or enhance BBB integrity in a way that regulates entry of neurotropic viruses into the CNS. ..
- Wortzman M, Clouthier D, McPherson A, Lin G, Watts T. The contextual role of TNFR family members in CD8(+) T-cell control of viral infections. Immunol Rev. 2013;255:125-48 pubmed publisher..Such therapies will require thorough and specific optimization to avoid pathology induced by hyperstimulation of these pathways. ..
- Wierucka Rybak M, Bojanowska E. Bacteria, viruses, and hypothalamic inflammation: potential new players in obesity. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2014;68:271-9 pubmed
- Batista P. The RNA Modification N6-methyladenosine and Its Implications in Human Disease. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2017;15:154-163 pubmed publisher..Disruption of these pathways impairs gene expression and cellular function. This review focuses on the links between the RNA modification m6A and its implications in human diseases. ..
- Kuchynka P, Palecek T, Grus T, Schramlova J, Krsek D, Vitkova I, et al. A high frequency of viral agents yet absence of Borrelia burgdorferi is seen within the myocardium of subjects with normal left ventricular systolic function: an electron microscopy study. Folia Microbiol (Praha). 2016;61:129-35 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the presence of Bb was found only within myocardial samples of patients with DCM; this finding supports the idea of a causal relationship between Bb infection and DCM development. ..
- Jouanguy E, Gineau L, Cottineau J, Beziat V, Vivier E, Casanova J. Inborn errors of the development of human natural killer cells. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;13:589-95 pubmed publisher..We review here recent progress in the genetic dissection of these NK deficiencies (NKDs)...
- Ouyang J, Hu J, Chen J. lncRNAs regulate the innate immune response to viral infection. Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA. 2016;7:129-43 pubmed publisher..WIREs RNA 2016, 7:129-143. doi: 10.1002/wrna.1321 For further resources related to this article, please visit the WIREs website. ..
- Hurwitz S, Schinazi R. Prodrug strategies for improved efficacy of nucleoside antiviral inhibitors. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2013;8:556-64 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the chemical and pharmacological rationale behind the development of nucleoside antiviral prodrugs (NAPs)...
- Sadat M, Moir S, Chun T, Lusso P, Kaplan G, Wolfe L, et al. Glycosylation, hypogammaglobulinemia, and resistance to viral infections. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:1615-1625 pubmed publisher..A shortened immunoglobulin half-life was determined to be the mechanism underlying the hypogammaglobulinemia. Impaired viral replication and cellular entry may explain a decreased susceptibility to infections. ..
- van der Lee R, Wiel L, van Dam T, Huynen M. Genome-scale detection of positive selection in nine primates predicts human-virus evolutionary conflicts. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:10634-10648 pubmed publisher..Our curated dataset of positive selection is a rich source for studying the genetics underlying human (antiviral) phenotypes. Procedures and data are available at https://github.com/robinvanderlee/positive-selection...
- Durán A, Gonzalez A, Delgado L, Mosquera J, Valero N. Serum level of C-reactive protein is not a parameter to determine the difference between viral and atypical bacterial infections. J Med Virol. 2016;88:351-5 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that CRP values are useful to define viral and atypical bacterial infections compared with normal values, but, it is not useful to define type of infection...
- Rogers M, Rohde J, Blumberg N. Haemovigilance of reactions associated with red blood cell transfusion: comparison across 17 Countries. Vox Sang. 2016;110:266-77 pubmed publisher..The lack of universal leucoreduction of RBC units may be a contributing factor to the higher rate of some adverse events in the United States. ..