Genomes and Genes
collecting kidney tubules
Summary: Straight tubes commencing in the radiate part of the kidney cortex where they receive the curved ends of the distal convoluted tubules. In the medulla the collecting tubules of each pyramid converge to join a central tube (duct of Bellini) which opens on the summit of the papilla.
- Vinciguerra M, Hasler U, Mordasini D, Roussel M, Capovilla M, Ogier Denis E, et al. Cytokines and sodium induce protein kinase A-dependent cell-surface Na,K-ATPase recruitment via dissociation of NF-kappaB/IkappaB/protein kinase A catalytic subunit complex in collecting duct principal cells. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:2576-85 pubmed
- Frindt G, Palmer L. Na channels in the rat connecting tubule. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2004;286:F669-74 pubmed..This capacity is approximately 10 times higher than that of the CCT. ..
- Ge Y, Stricklett P, Hughes A, Yanagisawa M, Kohan D. Collecting duct-specific knockout of the endothelin A receptor alters renal vasopressin responsiveness, but not sodium excretion or blood pressure. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;289:F692-8 pubmed..Furthermore, the CD ET(A) receptor does not appear to be involved in modulation of systemic blood pressure or renal Na excretion under physiological conditions. ..
- Bhalla V, Daidié D, Li H, Pao A, LaGrange L, Wang J, et al. Serum- and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase 1 regulates ubiquitin ligase neural precursor cell-expressed, developmentally down-regulated protein 4-2 by inducing interaction with 14-3-3. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:3073-84 pubmed..These results demonstrate a novel, physiologically significant role for 14-3-3 proteins in modulating ubiquitin ligase-dependent pathways in the control of epithelial ion transport. ..
- Rodionova E, Kuznetsova A, Shakhmatova E, Prutskova N, Nielsen S, Holtback U, et al. Urinary aquaporin-2 in children with acute pyelonephritis. Pediatr Nephrol. 2006;21:361-7 pubmed..Increased urinary AQP2 levels suggest that a compensatory activation of apical plasma membrane targeting of AQP2 may occur in pyelonephritis. ..
- Nissant A, Paulais M, Lachheb S, Lourdel S, Teulon J. Similar chloride channels in the connecting tubule and cortical collecting duct of the mouse kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;290:F1421-9 pubmed..This indicates that Cl- and K+ channels are located in different cell types, which we suggest may be the intercalated cells and principal cells, respectively. ..
- Veizis I, Cotton C. Abnormal EGF-dependent regulation of sodium absorption in ARPKD collecting duct cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;288:F474-82 pubmed..The results of these studies reveal that the mislocalized apical EGF receptors are functionally coupled to the ERK pathway and that abnormal EGF-dependent regulation of ENaC function and expression may contribute to PKD pathophysiology...
- Pisitkun T, Bieniek J, Tchapyjnikov D, Wang G, Wu W, Shen R, et al. High-throughput identification of IMCD proteins using LC-MS/MS. Physiol Genomics. 2006;25:263-76 pubmed..A 28-protein vasopressin signaling network was constructed using literature-based network analysis software focusing on the newly identified proteins, providing several new hypotheses for future studies. ..
- Wright J, Risk M, Hotaling J, Lin D. Effect of collecting duct histology on renal cell cancer outcome. J Urol. 2009;182:2595-9 pubmed publisher..Further research into the biology of this rare tumor is required to explain these results. ..
- Babilonia E, Li D, Wang Z, Sun P, Lin D, Jin Y, et al. Mitogen-activated protein kinases inhibit the ROMK (Kir 1.1)-like small conductance K channels in the cortical collecting duct. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:2687-96 pubmed..It is concluded that low K intake-induced increases in superoxide levels are responsible for stimulation of P38 and ERK and that MAPK inhibit the SK channels by stimulating PTK expression and via a PTK-independent mechanism. ..
- Fröhlich O, Aggarwal D, Klein J, Kent K, Yang Y, Gunn R, et al. Stimulation of UT-A1-mediated transepithelial urea flux in MDCK cells by lithium. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F518-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the effect of Li in this MDCK model of renal cells does not involve cAMP or at least utilizes an additional signaling pathway independent of cAMP. ..
- Pisitkun T, Jacob V, Schleicher S, Chou C, Yu M, Knepper M. Akt and ERK1/2 pathways are components of the vasopressin signaling network in rat native IMCD. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;295:F1030-43 pubmed publisher..Based on the current findings integrated with previous findings in the IMCD, we now report a 33-node vasopressin signaling network involved in vasopressin regulation of IMCD function. ..
- Evan A, Coe F, Lingeman J, Shao Y, Matlaga B, Kim S, et al. Renal crystal deposits and histopathology in patients with cystine stones. Kidney Int. 2006;69:2227-35 pubmed..The pattern of IMCD dilation, and loss of medullary structures is most compatible with such obstruction, either from BD lumen plugs or urinary tract obstruction from stones themselves. ..
- Hoffert J, Wang G, Pisitkun T, Shen R, Knepper M. An automated platform for analysis of phosphoproteomic datasets: application to kidney collecting duct phosphoproteins. J Proteome Res. 2007;6:3501-8 pubmed..Using a label-free quantification approach, we identified phosphoproteins that changed in abundance with vasopressin exposure including aquaporin-2 (AQP2), Hnrpa3, IP3 receptor 3, and pur-beta. ..
- Biver S, Belge H, Bourgeois S, Van Vooren P, Nowik M, Scohy S, et al. A role for Rhesus factor Rhcg in renal ammonium excretion and male fertility. Nature. 2008;456:339-43 pubmed publisher..We anticipate a critical role for Rhcg in ammonium handling and pH homeostasis both in the kidney and the male reproductive tract. ..
- Zhang Y, Nelson R, Carlson N, Kamerath C, Kohan D, Kishore B. Potential role of purinergic signaling in lithium-induced nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F1194-201 pubmed publisher..Our study also reveals the potential beneficial effects of P(2y) receptor antagonists in the treatment and/or prevention of Li-induced NDI. ..
- Fu Y, Kim I, Lian P, Li A, Zhou L, Li C, et al. Loss of Bicc1 impairs tubulomorphogenesis of cultured IMCD cells by disrupting E-cadherin-based cell-cell adhesion. Eur J Cell Biol. 2010;89:428-36 pubmed publisher..The observation of aberrant cellular behaviors in Bicc1-silenced IMCD cells reveal functions for Bicc1 in renal epithelial cells and provides insight into a potential pathogenic mechanism of polycystic kidney disease. ..
- Rohatgi R, Battini L, Kim P, Israeli S, Wilson P, Gusella G, et al. Mechanoregulation of intracellular Ca2+ in human autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease cyst-lining renal epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F890-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, human ARPKD cells exhibit an exaggerated Gd(3+)-sensitive mechano-induced Ca(2+) response compared with controls; whether this represents dysregulated polycystin-2 activity in ARPKD cells remains to be explored. ..
- Chiu M, Johnson T, Woolf A, Dahm Vicker E, Long D, Guay Woodford L, et al. Galectin-3 associates with the primary cilium and modulates cyst growth in congenital polycystic kidney disease. Am J Pathol. 2006;169:1925-38 pubmed..These data raise the possibility that galectin-3 may act as a natural brake on cystogenesis in cpk mice, perhaps via ciliary roles...
- Ge Y, Bagnall A, Stricklett P, Strait K, Webb D, Kotelevtsev Y, et al. Collecting duct-specific knockout of the endothelin B receptor causes hypertension and sodium retention. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;291:F1274-80 pubmed..CD ETA and ETB receptors do not fully account for the antihypertensive and natriuretic effects of CD-derived ET-1, suggesting paracrine effects of this peptide. ..
- Smith J, Pozzi A, Dhawan P, Singh A, Harris R. Soluble HB-EGF induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in inner medullary collecting duct cells by upregulating Snail-2. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F957-65 pubmed publisher..In summary, sustained exposure to sHB-EGF induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition of IMCD cells, in part by upregulating the E-cadherin transcriptional repressor Snail-2. ..
- Blount M, Klein J, Martin C, Tchapyjnikov D, Sands J. Forskolin stimulates phosphorylation and membrane accumulation of UT-A3. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F1308-13 pubmed
- Sun P, Liu W, Lin D, Yue P, Kemp R, Satlin L, et al. Epoxyeicosatrienoic acid activates BK channels in the cortical collecting duct. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:513-23 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, high dietary K stimulates the renal CYP-epoxygenase pathway, which plays an important role in activating BK channels and flow-stimulated K secretion in the CCD. ..
- Norgett E, Borthwick K, Al Lamki R, Su Y, Smith A, Karet F. V1 and V0 domains of the human H+-ATPase are linked by an interaction between the G and a subunits. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:14421-7 pubmed..These interactions represent a novel link between the V(1) and V(0) domains in man, which is known to be required for H(+)-ATPase assembly and regulation. ..
- Gu Y. Effects of [Ca2+]i and pH on epithelial Na+ channel activity of cultured mouse cortical collecting ducts. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:3167-73 pubmed publisher..0) enhanced the ENaC open probability as shown in augmented opening time. pHi did not cause any alteration in channel conductance. The effects of pHi on ENaC open probability could be summarized as an S-shaped curve around pH 7.2. ..
- Duong Van Huyen J, Cheval L, Bloch Faure M, Belair M, Heudes D, Bruneval P, et al. GDF15 triggers homeostatic proliferation of acid-secreting collecting duct cells. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:1965-74 pubmed publisher..During this phase, cells divided transversely. In summary, acid-secreting cells proliferate as the collecting duct adapts to metabolic acidosis, and GDF15 seems to be an important determinant of collecting duct lengthening. ..
- Reisenauer M, Anderson M, Huang L, Zhang Z, Zhou Q, Kone B, et al. AF17 competes with AF9 for binding to Dot1a to up-regulate transcription of epithelial Na+ channel alpha. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:35659-69 pubmed publisher..Therefore, AF17 competes with AF9 to bind Dot1a, decreases Dot1a nuclear expression by possibly facilitating its nuclear export, and relieves Dot1a.AF9-mediated repression of alpha-ENaC and other target genes. ..
- Burt L, Forbes M, Thornhill B, Kiley S, Chevalier R. Renal vascular endothelial growth factor in neonatal obstructive nephropathy. I. Endogenous VEGF. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;292:F158-67 pubmed..Following UUO in the adult, the VEGF receptor is upregulated. Endogenous VEGF may serve an adaptive role in responding to tubular injury caused by UUO and may modulate adaptation by the contralateral kidney. ..
- Jasiewicz M, Mysliwiec J. [Current knowledge on aquaporin water channels: clinical implications]. Endokrynol Pol. 2006;57:149-57 pubmed..At least 11 human aquaporins have been identified. Definition of sites of their expression enabled explanation of their physiological role as well as pathological importance in congenital cataract or nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. ..
- Tsuruoka S, Watanabe S, Purkerson J, Fujimura A, Schwartz G. Endothelin and nitric oxide mediate adaptation of the cortical collecting duct to metabolic acidosis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;291:F866-73 pubmed
- Taniguchi J, Imai M. Computer analysis of the significance of the effective osmolality for urea across the inner medullary collecting duct in the operation of a single effect for the counter-current multiplication system. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2006;10:236-43 pubmed..The model of sigma(urea)* = 0.7 is more efficient than that of sigma(urea)* = 1.0. ..
- Li Z, Jerebtsova M, Liu X, Tang P, Ray P. Novel cystogenic role of basic fibroblast growth factor in developing rodent kidneys. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;291:F289-96 pubmed..To the best of our knowledge, these experiments show for the first time that overexpression of bFGF in developing rodent kidneys can induce the formation of renal cysts in vivo. ..
- Kim H, Baylis C, Verlander J, Han K, Reungjui S, Handlogten M, et al. Effect of reduced renal mass on renal ammonia transporter family, Rh C glycoprotein and Rh B glycoprotein, expression. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F1238-47 pubmed..We conclude that altered subcellular localization of Rhcg contributes to adaptive changes in single-nephron ammonia metabolism and maintenance of acid-base homeostasis in response to reduced renal mass. ..
- Tchapyjnikov D, Li Y, Pisitkun T, Hoffert J, Yu M, Knepper M. Proteomic profiling of nuclei from native renal inner medullary collecting duct cells using LC-MS/MS. Physiol Genomics. 2010;40:167-83 pubmed publisher..The newly identified proteins have been incorporated into the IMCD Proteome Database (http://dir.nhlbi.nih.gov/papers/lkem/imcd/). ..
- Chang C, Sun C, Pong C, Chen Y, Lin G, Chang T, et al. Interaction of estrogen and progesterone in the regulation of sodium channels in collecting tubular cells. Chang Gung Med J. 2007;30:305-12 pubmed..The effects might suggest that pre-menstruation edema is a result of subtle interaction between the female gender steroid hormones on ENaC in renal collecting tubule cells. ..
- Kang J, Toma I, Sipos A, Meer E, Vargas S, Peti Peterdi J. The collecting duct is the major source of prorenin in diabetes. Hypertension. 2008;51:1597-604 pubmed publisher..These novel findings suggest that, in a rat model of diabetes, prorenin content and release from the CD may be more important than the juxtaglomerular apparatus in contrast to the existing paradigm. ..
- Khodus G, Solenov E, Nesterov V, Katkova L, Ivanova L. [Calciumdependent mechanisms in vasopressin regulation of osmotic water permeability in the mouse kidney collecting duct cells]. Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova. 2006;92:626-32 pubmed..The PKC activity and calciumdependent second messengers seem to be important for regulation of water permeability by vasopressin. ..
- Corvin S, Ulbrich D, Laible V, Nagele U, Stenzl A. [Laparoscopic pyeloplasty in a complicated duplicated collecting system]. Urologe A. 2008;47:863-5 pubmed publisher..The present data demonstrate that laparoscopic pyeloplasty is an applicable tool even in patients with upper urinary tract anomalies such as duplicated collecting systems. ..
- Engel A. Remarkable results in study by Riethmüller et al. Biophys J. 2008;94:333 pubmed
- Loffing Cueni D, Flores S, Sauter D, Daidié D, Siegrist N, Meneton P, et al. Dietary sodium intake regulates the ubiquitin-protein ligase nedd4-2 in the renal collecting system. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:1264-74 pubmed..It is concluded that Nedd4-2 abundance is regulated by Na(+) diet, by a mechanism that likely involves aldosterone. This regulation may contribute to adaptation of apical ENaC activity to altered Na(+) intake...
- Mukhin Y, Gooz M, Raymond J, Garnovskaya M. Collagenase-2 and -3 mediate epidermal growth factor receptor transactivation by bradykinin B2 receptor in kidney cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;318:1033-43 pubmed..This study demonstrates a novel role for collagenase-2 and -3 in signaling of the G(q)-coupled BK B(2) receptor in mIMCD-3 cells. ..
- Damaraju V, Elwi A, Hunter C, Carpenter P, Santos C, Barron G, et al. Localization of broadly selective equilibrative and concentrative nucleoside transporters, hENT1 and hCNT3, in human kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F200-11 pubmed
- Liu W, Morimoto T, Woda C, Kleyman T, Satlin L. Ca2+ dependence of flow-stimulated K secretion in the mammalian cortical collecting duct. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F227-35 pubmed
- Emerson L, Carney H, Layfield L, Sherbotie J. Collecting duct carcinoma arising in association with BK nephropathy post-transplantation in a pediatric patient. A case report with immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization study. Pediatr Transplant. 2008;12:600-5 pubmed publisher..The finding of T-Ag protein expression in both intraepithelial and invasive neoplastic tissues in our case raises the possibility of BK virus as a causative agent in oncogenesis. ..
- Algaba F, Arce Y, Trias I, Santaularia J, Antonio Rosales A. [Usefulness of the present renal cell carcinoma classifications]. Actas Urol Esp. 2006;30:372-85 pubmed
- Khandrika L, Kim F, Campagna A, Koul S, Meacham R, Koul H. Primary culture and characterization of human renal inner medullary collecting duct epithelial cells. J Urol. 2008;179:2057-63 pubmed publisher..These cells will serve as essential tools in helping us fill the gaps in our understanding of the events associated with the physiology and pathophysiology of human renal inner medullary collecting duct epithelium. ..
- Hill W, Butterworth M, Wang H, Edinger R, Lebowitz J, Peters K, et al. The epithelial sodium channel (ENaC) traffics to apical membrane in lipid rafts in mouse cortical collecting duct cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37402-11 pubmed..We conclude that ENaC is present in and regulated by lipid rafts. The data are consistent with a model in which rafts mediate the constitutive apical delivery of ENaC. ..