Genomes and Genes
Summary: Differentiated tissue of the central nervous system composed of NERVE CELLS, fibers, DENDRITES, and specialized supporting cells.
- Berning M, Boergens K, Helmstaedter M. SegEM: Efficient Image Analysis for High-Resolution Connectomics. Neuron. 2015;87:1193-206 pubmed publisher..a robust classifier selection procedure for finding the best automated image classifier for different types of nerve tissue. We applied these methods to a volume of 44 Ã— 60 Ã— 141 Î¼m(3) SBEM data from mouse retina and a ..
- Aizawa Y, Leipzig N, Zahir T, Shoichet M. The effect of immobilized platelet derived growth factor AA on neural stem/progenitor cell differentiation on cell-adhesive hydrogels. Biomaterials. 2008;29:4676-83 pubmed publisher..immobilized PDGF-AA. These results demonstrate for the first time, that it is possible to control the differentiation of NSPCs, and specifically to oligodendrocytes, in cell-adhesive matrices with immobilized PDGF-AA. ..
- Wang D, Li G, Fan Y, Zhang D, Bi R, Yu X, et al. The mtDNA replication-related genes TFAM and POLG are associated with leprosy in Han Chinese from Southwest China. J Dermatol Sci. 2017;88:349-356 pubmed publisher..The eQTL analysis showed that rs1049432 was a significant cis eQTL for TFAM in nerve tissue (P=1.20×10-12), and rs3176238 was a significant cis eQTL for POLG in nerve (P=3...
- Nazempour A, Quisenberry C, Van Wie B, Abu Lail N. Nanomechanics of Engineered Articular Cartilage: Synergistic Influences of Transforming Growth Factor-?3 and Oscillating Pressure. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2016;16:3136-3145 pubmedArticular cartilage (AC), tissue with the lowest volumetric cellular density, is not supplied with blood and nerve tissue resulting in limited ability for self-repair upon injury...
- Ratnarajah N, Simmons A, Hojjatoleslami A. Probabilistic clustering and shape modelling of white matter fibre bundles using regression mixtures. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2011;14:25-32 pubmed..A statistical shape model is calculated for each clustered fibre bundle using fitted parameters of the probabilistic clustering. We illustrate the potential of our clustering approach on synthetic and real data. ..
- Tosun D, Rettmann M, Han X, Tao X, Xu C, Resnick S, et al. Cortical surface segmentation and mapping. Neuroimage. 2004;23 Suppl 1:S108-18 pubmed..Results demonstrating the application of this approach to a study of cortical thickness changes in aging are presented. ..
- Wang A, Tang Z, Park I, Zhu Y, Patel S, Daley G, et al. Induced pluripotent stem cells for neural tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2011;32:5023-32 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that iPSC-derived multipotent NCSCs can be directly used for tissue engineering and that the approach that combines stem cells and scaffolds has tremendous potential for regenerative medicine applications. ..
- Hader M, Sporer M, Roche A, Unger E, Bergmeister K, Wakolbinger R, et al. Fascicular shifting: a novel technique to overcome large nerve defects. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;:1-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, limited donor sites often necessitate a significant mismatch of needed nerve tissue, especially for large proximal nerve defects such as brachial plexus lesions...
- Rabinovich S, Seledtsov V, Banul N, Poveshchenko O, Senyukov V, Astrakov S, et al. Cell therapy of brain stroke. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2005;139:126-8 pubmed..No serious complications of cell therapy were observed. Presumably, cell therapy is a more or less safe method of treatment, which can be effectively used in the treatment of brain stroke consequences. ..
- Zilic L, Garner P, Yu T, Roman S, Haycock J, Wilshaw S. An anatomical study of porcine peripheral nerve and its potential use in nerve tissue engineering. J Anat. 2015;227:302-14 pubmed publisherCurrent nerve tissue engineering applications are adopting xenogeneic nerve tissue as potential nerve grafts to help aid nerve regeneration...
- Xiao Y, Martin D, Cui X, Shenai M. Surface modification of neural probes with conducting polymer poly(hydroxymethylated-3,4- ethylenedioxythiophene) and its biocompatibility. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2006;128:117-30 pubmed..An in vitro experiment demonstrated that the neuroblastoma cells grew preferentially on the PEDOT-MeOH/CDPGYIGSR-coated electrode sites and spread beyond the electrode area. ..
- O Rourke C, Day A, Murray Dunning C, Thanabalasundaram L, Cowan J, Stevanato L, et al. An allogeneic 'off the shelf' therapeutic strategy for peripheral nerve tissue engineering using clinical grade human neural stem cells. Sci Rep. 2018;8:2951 pubmed publisher..This provides a potential 'off the shelf' tissue engineering solution for the treatment of nerve injury, overcoming the limitations associated with nerve autografts or the reliance on autologous cells for populating repair constructs. ..
- Fisher S, Novak J, Agranoff B. Inositol and higher inositol phosphates in neural tissues: homeostasis, metabolism and functional significance. J Neurochem. 2002;82:736-54 pubmed
- Wang S, Jeffries E, Gao J, Sun L, You Z, Wang Y. Polyester with Pendent Acetylcholine-Mimicking Functionalities Promotes Neurite Growth. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2016;8:9590-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, PSeD-Ach exhibited favorable mechanical and degradation properties for nerve tissue engineering application. Humidified PSeD-Ach had an elastic modulus of 76...
- Santosa K, Jesuraj N, Viader A, MacEwan M, Newton P, Hunter D, et al. Nerve allografts supplemented with schwann cells overexpressing glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor. Muscle Nerve. 2013;47:213-23 pubmed publisher..The combined results suggest that consistent overexpression of GDNF by G-SCs trapped axons in the graft and prevented functional regeneration. ..
- Anaf V, El Nakadi I, De Moor V, Chapron C, Pistofidis G, Noel J. Increased nerve density in deep infiltrating endometriotic nodules. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2011;71:112-7 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the significantly increased number of nerve structures in the endometriotic nodules may contribute to the occurrence of severe and neuropathic pain that characterizes these lesions. ..
- Wang L, Wang W, Di L, Lu Y, Wang J. Protein adsorption under electrical stimulation of neural probe coated with polyaniline. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2010;80:72-8 pubmed publisher..We also found that the protein adsorption decreased conductivity of PANI films, which maybe due to the protein barriers formed on them. These results provided a good reference for the use of conducting polymers as neural probe coating. ..
- Maudsley S, Martin B, Luttrell L. G protein-coupled receptor signaling complexity in neuronal tissue: implications for novel therapeutics. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2007;4:3-19 pubmed..As a more comprehensive understanding of the complexity of GPCR signaling is developed, the rational design of ligands possessing increased specific efficacy and attenuated side effects may become the standard mode of drug development. ..
- Denny Brown D, Adams R. The pathology of injury to nerve induced by cold. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1945;4:305-23 pubmed
- Shi X, Ma G, Li B, Yang J, Yu Wang -, Li Y, et al. Detection of bovine central nervous system tissue as bovine spongiform encephalopathy risk material by real-time reverse transcriptase-PCR in raw and cooked beef products. Anim Biotechnol. 2008;19:225-30 pubmed publisher..001%; and (4) the assay was unaffected by heat treatment at 100 degrees C for 30 min or storage at room temperature for 4 days, and at 4 degrees C for at least 15 days. ..
- Gage A, Baust J, Baust J. Experimental cryosurgery investigations in vivo. Cryobiology. 2009;59:229-43 pubmed publisher..In vivo experiments with major organs, including wound healing, the putative immunological response following thawing, and the use of cryoadjunctive strategies to enhance cancer cell sensitivity to freezing, are described. ..
- Tehrani S, Delf R, Cepurna W, Davis L, Johnson E, Morrison J. In Vivo Small Molecule Delivery to the Optic Nerve in a Rodent Model. Sci Rep. 2018;8:4453 pubmed publisher..Cyt D delivery was quantified by liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry of isolated optic nerve tissue. One day after Cyt D delivery, anterior ONH filamentous actin bundle content was significantly reduced as ..
- Zou C, Xie K, Kou R, Gao Y, Song F. [Effect of 2,5-hexanedione on light-molecular-weight neurofilaments (NF-L) degradation of rat nerve tissues]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2012;30:418-22 pubmed..01). HD poisoning significantly inhibits NF-L degradation in the sciatic nerve, which may be associated with NF degeneration and accumulation in the axons of patients with n-hexane neuropathy. ..
- Aktekin M, Demiryurek D, Bayramoglu A, Tuccar E. The significance of the neurovascular structures passing through the spinoglenoid notch. Saudi Med J. 2003;24:933-5 pubmed
- Hou X, Aguilar M, Small D. Transthyretin and familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy. Recent progress in understanding the molecular mechanism of neurodegeneration. FEBS J. 2007;274:1637-50 pubmed
- En J, Goto M, Nakanaga K, Higashi M, Ishii N, Saito H, et al. Mycolactone is responsible for the painlessness of Mycobacterium ulcerans infection (buruli ulcer) in a murine study. Infect Immun. 2008;76:2002-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, mice injected with 200 microg of mycolactone showed pulmonary hemorrhage. This is the first study to demonstrate the systemic effects of mycolactone. ..
- Lautrup B, Appali R, Jackson A, Heimburg T. The stability of solitons in biomembranes and nerves. Eur Phys J E Soft Matter. 2011;34:57 pubmed publisher..Large-amplitude solitons fall apart into several pulses and small-amplitude noise upon collision when the maximum density of the membrane is limited by the density of the solid phase membrane. ..
- French R, Zamponi G. Voltage-gated sodium and calcium channels in nerve, muscle, and heart. IEEE Trans Nanobioscience. 2005;4:58-69 pubmed..Crucial to these advances are studies of bacterial homologues of ion channels from man and other eukaryotes, and the use of naturally occurring peptide toxins which target different ion channel types with exquisite specificity. ..
- Dobretsov M, Stimers J. Neuronal function and alpha3 isoform of the Na/K-ATPase. Front Biosci. 2005;10:2373-96 pubmed
- Fei J, Wen X, Lin X, Saijilafu -, Wang W, Ren O, et al. Biocompatibility and neurotoxicity of magnesium alloys potentially used for neural repairs. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2017;78:1155-1163 pubmed publisher..g., nerve guidance conduit (NGC), to guide the regeneration of nerve tissue is a promising approach for treating the large-size nerve defect...
- Jia H, Wang Y, Tong X, Liu G, Li Q, Zhang L, et al. Biocompatibility of acellular nerves of different mammalian species for nerve tissue engineering. Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol. 2011;39:366-75 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, acellular nerves of different species possess favorable biocompatibility, and xenogenic acellular nerves combined with BMSCs have potential to replace allografts for peripheral nerve reconstruction. ..
- Okumura A, Noda E, Ikuta T, Natsume J, Nagai T, Gotoh Y, et al. Transient encephalopathy with reversible white matter lesions in children. Neuropediatrics. 2006;37:159-62 pubmed..These abnormalities disappeared along with the neurological symptoms within a week in both patients. These children represent a characteristic group of patients among childhood acute encephalopathy. ..
- Petrova E, Otellin V. Study of mitotic activity and degeneration of cells in the dorsolateral wall of the anterior cerebral vesicle in rat embryos on the model of ectopic neurotransplantation. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2006;142:270-3 pubmed..Serotonin plays a role in the regulation of neuroepithelial cell proliferation and prevents cell death in the developing neocortex. ..
- Zotova E, Schaumburg H, Raine C, Cannella B, Tar M, Melman A, et al. Effects of hyperglycemia on rat cavernous nerve axons: a functional and ultrastructural study. Exp Neurol. 2008;213:439-47 pubmed publisher..The physiologic techniques outlined in these studies are feasible in most electrophysiologic laboratories and could substantially enhance our sensitivity to the onset and progression of small fiber diabetic neuropathy. ..
- Davenport K, Hoover C, Bian J, Telling G, Mathiason C, Hoover E. PrPC expression and prion seeding activity in the alimentary tract and lymphoid tissue of deer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183927 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PrPC expression is not the sole driver of prion accumulation and that alimentary tract tissues accumulate prions before centrifugal spread from the brain occurs. ..
- Rice C, Halfpenny C, Scolding N. Cell therapy in demyelinating diseases. NeuroRx. 2004;1:415-23 pubmed..We attempt to highlight those areas where difficulties have yet to be resolved and draw on a variety of more recent experimental findings to speculate on how remyelinating therapies are likely to develop in the foreseeable future. ..
- Bjurulf B, Spetalen S, Erichsen A, Vanier M, Strøm E, Strømme P. Niemann-Pick disease type C2 presenting as fatal pulmonary alveolar lipoproteinosis: morphological findings in lung and nervous tissue. Med Sci Monit. 2008;14:CS71-5 pubmed..Evidence that NPC2 is associated with severe pulmonary alveolar lipoproteinosis is supported. There were extensive neuropathological changes with storage material in swollen perikarya and a few axonal spheroids. ..
- Hu J, Gu H, Ding W, Zhong M, Yuan S. [Correlation between brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in the nerve system and erectile dysfunction in diabetic rats]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2006;12:1066-71 pubmed..05). As time went on, BDNF declined progressively. BDNF decreases in the central and peripheral nerve system in the early stage of diabetes mellitus, wich is closely correlated with diabetic ED. ..
- Fonseca D, Sheehy M, Blackman N, Shelton P, Prior A. Reversal of a hallmark of brain ageing: lipofuscin accumulation. Neurobiol Aging. 2005;26:69-76 pubmed..If non-disruptive ways to accelerate lipofuscin removal can be found, our results suggest that therapeutic reversal of this most universal manifestation of cellular ageing may be possible. ..
- Wu M, Huang H, Chen Q, Li D, Zheng Z, Xiong W, et al. Leucine-rich repeat C4 protein is involved in nervous tissue development and neurite outgrowth, and induction of glioma cell differentiation. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2007;39:731-8 pubmed
- Wu E, Cheung M. MR diffusion kurtosis imaging for neural tissue characterization. NMR Biomed. 2010;23:836-48 pubmed publisher..By estimating both diffusivity and kurtosis, it may provide improved sensitivity and specificity in MR diffusion characterization of neural tissues. ..
- Tong K, Rong W, Li L, Cao J. Effects of consecutive slips in nerve signals recorded by implanted cuff electrode. Med Eng Phys. 2008;30:460-5 pubmed..When the slip signal is used as a feedback and control signal for FES, two different thresholds or scaling factors should be applied for consecutive slips. ..
- Seymour J, Kipke D. Neural probe design for reduced tissue encapsulation in CNS. Biomaterials. 2007;28:3594-607 pubmed..There were no significant differences among platform designs. These results suggest that neural probe geometry is an important parameter for reducing chronic tissue encapsulation. ..
- Weitz J, Pautke C, Wolff K, Kolk A. Can the inferior alveolar nerve be used as a marker in frozen section for free margin control after segmental mandibulectomy in tumour ablation?. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;45:1366-1371 pubmed publisher..b>Nerve tissue could be identified in 25 of the 27 specimens collected. No specimen revealed tumour invasion...
- Fletcher R, Baker J, Harland R. FGF8 spliceforms mediate early mesoderm and posterior neural tissue formation in Xenopus. Development. 2006;133:1703-14 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, FGF8 signaling is necessary for proper posterior neural formation; loss of either FGF8a or a reduction in both FGF8a and FGF8b causes a reduction in the hindbrain and spinal cord domains...
- Hu J, Kai D, Ye H, Tian L, Ding X, Ramakrishna S, et al. Electrospinning of poly(glycerol sebacate)-based nanofibers for nerve tissue engineering. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2017;70:1089-1094 pubmed publisherb>Nerve tissue engineering (TE) requires biomimetic scaffolds providing essential chemical and topographical cues for nerve regeneration...
- Weir K, Lunam C. Immunohistochemical study of cutaneous nerves in the emu. Cell Tissue Res. 2006;326:697-705 pubmed..Herbst corpuscles therefore may have a different chemical content in a flightless species from that in volant birds. ..
- Mitrabhakdi E, Shuangshoti S, Wannakrairot P, Lewis R, Susuki K, Laothamatas J, et al. Difference in neuropathogenetic mechanisms in human furious and paralytic rabies. J Neurol Sci. 2005;238:3-10 pubmed..We conclude that differential sites of neural involvement and possibly different neuropathogenetic mechanisms may explain the clinical diversity in human rabies. ..
- Oh S, Lee J. Fabrication and characterization of hydrophilized porous PLGA nerve guide conduits by a modified immersion precipitation method. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2007;80:530-8 pubmed
- Benfante R, Flora A, Di Lascio S, Cargnin F, Longhi R, Colombo S, et al. Transcription factor PHOX2A regulates the human alpha3 nicotinic receptor subunit gene promoter. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:13290-302 pubmed..As the alpha3 subunit is expressed in every terminally differentiated ganglionic cell, this is the first example of a "pan-autonomic" gene whose expression is regulated by PHOX2 proteins. ..