Summary: A variety of techniques used to help individuals utilize their voice for various purposes and with minimal use of muscle energy.
- Silverio K, Gonçalves C, Penteado R, Vieira T, Libardi A, Rossi D. Actions in vocal health: a proposal for improving the vocal profile of teachers. Pro Fono. 2008;20:177-82 pubmed..health actions, such as voice workshops, are important to trigger changes in the work environment as well as in the health of teachers. ..
- Ramig L, Sapir S, Countryman S, Pawlas A, O BRIEN C, Hoehn M, et al. Intensive voice treatment (LSVT) for patients with Parkinson's disease: a 2 year follow up. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2001;71:493-8 pubmed..The findings provide evidence for the efficacy of the LSVT as well as the long term maintenance of these effects in the treatment of voice and speech disorders in patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease. ..
- Holmberg E, Hillman R, Hammarberg B, Södersten M, Doyle P. Efficacy of a behaviorally based voice therapy protocol for vocal nodules. J Voice. 2001;15:395-412 pubmed
- el Sharkawi A, Ramig L, Logemann J, Pauloski B, Rademaker A, Smith C, et al. Swallowing and voice effects of Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT): a pilot study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2002;72:31-6 pubmed..LSVT seemingly improved neuromuscular control of the entire upper aerodigestive tract, improving oral tongue and tongue base function during the oral and pharyngeal phases of swallowing as well as improving vocal intensity. ..
- Jacobs M, Kenny D. Effects of topical anesthetic and flexible fiberoptic laryngoscopy on professional sopranos. J Voice. 2005;19:645-64 pubmed..Results will need to be replicated on less accomplished singers before concluding that this medical procedure does not affect the operatic singing voice. ..
- Van Leer E, Connor N. Patient perceptions of voice therapy adherence. J Voice. 2010;24:458-69 pubmed publisher..This study yields information toward the development of scales to measure adherence-related constructs and strategies to improve treatment adherence in voice therapy. ..
- Nguyen D, Kenny D. Randomized controlled trial of vocal function exercises on muscle tension dysphonia in Vietnamese female teachers. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;38:261-78 pubmed..However, the magnitude of change and the number of participants with positive changes were larger in the FE group. The data showed that vocal function exercises may be a cost-effective treatment for MTD. ..
- Gamberini L, Carding P, Drinnan M. Comparing two models of voice care delivery. Clin Otolaryngol. 2007;32:122-5 pubmed..The study provides a firm base for continued research. ..
- Marszałek S, Zebryk Stopa A, Wojnowski W, Wiskirska Woźnica B, Golusinski W. [The application of the manual physiotherapy treatment for patient with after trauma dysphonia]. Otolaryngol Pol. 2011;65:285-8 pubmed publisher..This procedure is an effective complement to logopedic and phoniatric therapy for patients after trauma of the larynx. ..
- Zraick R, Birdwell K, Smith Olinde L. The effect of speaking sample duration on determination of habitual pitch. J Voice. 2005;19:197-201 pubmed..Implications for the use of various speaking durations when determining habitual pitch are discussed, as is the possibility of a speaking duration effect on determination of other pitch-related voice parameters. ..
- John A, Enderby P, Hughes A. Comparing outcomes of voice therapy: a benchmarking study using the therapy outcome measure. J Voice. 2005;19:114-23 pubmed..Benchmarking can provide useful information through use of routinely collected clinical data. ..
- Lindhe C, Hartelius L. Speech-language pathology students' self-reports on voice training: easier to understand or to do?. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2009;34:51-9 pubmed publisher..Results are interpreted within in a theoretical framework of approaches to learning. The findings support the importance of both the physical and reflective aspects of the voice training process.
- Gartner Schmidt J, Roth D, Zullo T, Rosen C. Quantifying component parts of indirect and direct voice therapy related to different voice disorders. J Voice. 2013;27:210-6 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that although SLPs may individualize their approach to indirect voice therapy, when it comes to direct voice therapy, SLPs have a common approach to voice therapy regardless of voice disorder. ..
- Rocha C, Moraes M, Behlau M. Pain in popular singers. J Soc Bras Fonoaudiol. 2012;24:374-80 pubmed..These data justify the investigation and attention to body pain symptoms by the professionals responsible for the treatment of this population. ..
- Van Lierde K, D haeseleer E, Baudonck N, Claeys S, De Bodt M, Behlau M. The impact of vocal warm-up exercises on the objective vocal quality in female students training to be speech language pathologists. J Voice. 2011;25:e115-21 pubmed publisher..Hypothetically, one can assume that the objective vocal quality will increase after vocal WU exercises in SLPs in comparison with the matched control group that receives no WU program...
- Miśkiewicz B, Szkiełkowska A, Ratynska J, Skoczylas A, Skarzynski H. [Phoniatric and laryngologic symptoms in motor neuron disease (MND)]. Otolaryngol Pol. 2010;64:171-6 pubmed publisher..Acoustic analysis of voice (MDVP) presents more often disorders in frequency range than amplitude changes; 4. Intensive and regular excercises are crucial for the improvement in speech communication. ..
- Roubeau B, Castellengo M, Bodin P, Ragot M. [Laryngeal registers as shown in the voice range profile]. Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2004;56:321-33 pubmed..Results are discussed in relation to sex category and vocal training of subjects. Exploring systematically VRP for each mechanism gives new and valuable information on register managing in singing practice. ..
- Sinkiewicz A, Betlejewski S, Betlejewski A, Mackiewicz H. [Proposal of rehabilitation standard after total laryngectomy]. Otolaryngol Pol. 2004;58:753-6 pubmed..The authors express the opinion, that the introduction of a uniform in structure standard of rehabilitation may be helpful in improvement of medical care of laryngectomized patients in Poland. ..
- Bruno E, de Padova A, Napolitano B, Marroni P, Batelli R, Ottaviani F, et al. Voice disorders and posturography: variables to define the success of rehabilitative treatment. J Voice. 2009;23:71-5 pubmed..Body sway significantly decreased during voice production in patients after voice training. Spectral frequency analysis of body sway showed a significantly decreased body sway at middle frequencies on ..
- Stepp C, Merchant G, Heaton J, Hillman R. Effects of voice therapy on relative fundamental frequency during voicing offset and onset in patients with vocal hyperfunction. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2011;54:1260-6 pubmed publisher..Results are discussed further in terms of necessary research to incorporate RFF as a clinical measure of vocal hyperfunction. ..
- Costa C, Costa L, Oliveira G, Behlau M. Immediate effects of the phonation into a straw exercise. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2011;77:461-5 pubmed..The straw phonation exercise caused positive effects, seen upon voice self-assessment, indicating an easier and better voice upon phonation. ..
- Ellis L, Beltyukova S. Effects of compliance monitoring of vocal function exercises on voice outcome measures for normal voice. Percept Mot Skills. 2011;112:729-36 pubmed
- Master S, De Biase N, Pedrosa V, Chiari B. [The long-term average spectrum in research and in the clinical practice of speech therapists]. Pro Fono. 2006;18:111-20 pubmed
- Lamarche A, Westerlund J, Verduyckt I, Ternström S. The Swedish version of the Voice Handicap Index adapted for singers. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2010;35:129-37 pubmed publisher..It can be considered a useful tool in the clinical assessment of Swedish healthy or pathological singers. ..
- Fuchs M, Meuret S, Thiel S, Täschner R, Dietz A, Gelbrich G. Influence of singing activity, age, and sex on voice performance parameters, on subjects' perception and use of their voice in childhood and adolescence. J Voice. 2009;23:182-9 pubmedThe aim of the study was to investigate the extent to which regular singing activity and voice training in children and adolescents enhance their voice performance parameters and their perception of their own voice and the extent to which ..
- Whitehill T, Wong L. Effect of intensive voice treatment on tone-language speakers with Parkinson's disease. Clin Linguist Phon. 2007;21:919-25 pubmed..The lack of improvement in lexical tones may support previous claims of a dissociation in fundamental frequency control for intonation and lexical tone production. ..
- Sloan T. Family therapy with selectively mute children: a case study. J Marital Fam Ther. 2007;33:94-105 pubmed
- Rinta T, Welch G. Should singing activities be included in speech and voice therapy for prepubertal children?. J Voice. 2008;22:100-12 pubmed..Based on this theoretical framework, implications for further empirical research and practice are suggested. ..
- Schneider B, Bigenzahn W. How we do it: voice therapy to improve vocal constitution and endurance in female student teachers. Clin Otolaryngol. 2005;30:66-71 pubmed..Voice therapy is effective to improve vocal endurance and voice constitution. Elucidation of constitutionally weak voices in teachers is recommended prior to their professional career. ..
- Sapir S, Spielman J, Ramig L, Hinds S, Countryman S, Fox C, et al. Effects of intensive voice treatment (the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment [LSVT]) on ataxic dysarthria: a case study. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2003;12:387-99 pubmed..Potential neural mechanisms that may underlie the effects of loud phonation and LSVT are addressed. ..
- Hosokawa K, Yoshida M, Yoshii T, Takenaka Y, Hashimoto M, Ogawa M, et al. Effectiveness of the computed analysis of electroglottographic signals in muscle tension dysphonia. Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2012;64:145-50 pubmed publisher..EGG parameters related to the regularity of vocal fold vibration, but not to the degree of vocal fold contact (mean CQ), are useful for the diagnosis and estimation of voice therapy outcome in MTD. ..
- Gorman S, Weinrich B, Lee L, Stemple J. Aerodynamic changes as a result of vocal function exercises in elderly men. Laryngoscope. 2008;118:1900-3 pubmed publisher..Decrease in glottic airflow was achieved, with a concomitant increase in subglottic pressure, but without an increase in acoustic power (comfortable and low pitch). Improvement in VFE MPT mirrored the improvement in vocal aerodynamics. ..
- Le Huche F. [Pedagogy of inspiration]. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord). 2002;123:338-9 pubmed..A training that would preserve the natural nature of the gesture thanks to the practice of relaxation, permits however to avoid this difficulty and to lead to a better rehabilitation of the phonatory behaviour. ..
- Sinkiewicz A, Pawlak A, Wojnowski W, Owczarzak H. [Assessment of rehabilitation of teachers' voice disorders]. Otolaryngol Pol. 2003;57:417-20 pubmed
- Smadja M, Tessier C, Menard M, Brasnu D, Crevier Buchman L. [Evaluation of the handicap by means of the EORTC scale in partial glossectomies]. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord). 2005;126:315-22 pubmed..It is a reliable and reproducible tool for a follow up study of patients. It allows proposing specific rehabilitation procedures in the post operative period. ..
- Levi S, Winters S, Pisoni D. Effects of cross-language voice training on speech perception: whose familiar voices are more intelligible?. J Acoust Soc Am. 2011;130:4053-62 pubmed publisher..After voice training, both groups of listeners completed a word recognition task with English words produced by both familiar and ..
- Achey M, He M, Akst L. Vocal Hygiene Habits and Vocal Handicap Among Conservatory Students of Classical Singing. J Voice. 2016;30:192-7 pubmed publisher..These students may have elevated risk for dysphonia and voice disorders which is not effectively addressed through common vocal hygiene recommendations alone. ..
- Meulenbroek L, van Opstal M, Claes L, Marres H, de Jong F. The impact of the voice in relation to psychosomatic well-being after education in female student teachers: a longitudinal, descriptive study. J Psychosom Res. 2012;72:230-5 pubmed publisher..Student teachers can benefit from interdisciplinary collaboration between a psychologist and voice therapist in reducing psychosocial risk factors. ..
- ..The VoiceRelease treatment should closely interact with functional voice training and should therefore be carried out by the speech-language therapist (SLT)...
- van Gogh C, Verdonck de Leeuw I, Langendijk J, Kuik D, Mahieu H. Long-term efficacy of voice therapy in patients with voice problems after treatment of early glottic cancer. J Voice. 2012;26:398-401 pubmed publisher..Future long-term randomized controlled trials are needed to confirm our findings. ..
- PATEL R, Bless D, Thibeault S. Boot camp: a novel intensive approach to voice therapy. J Voice. 2011;25:562-9 pubmed publisher..This article discusses the conceptual, theoretical, and practical foundations of this novel therapy approach. ..
- Bele I. Artificially lengthened and constricted vocal tract in vocal training methods. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2005;30:34-40 pubmed..The influence of sufficient acoustic impedance on vocal fold vibration and economical voice production is presented. ..
- Smith L, Sataloff R. Vocal fold polyp in a professional singer. Ear Nose Throat J. 2005;84:552 pubmed
- Fischer M, Gutenbrunner C, Ptok M. Intensified voice therapy: a new model for the rehabilitation of patients suffering from functional dysphonias. Int J Rehabil Res. 2009;32:348-55 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the results suggest that ambulatory rehabilitative measures are most effective in patients with moderate functional dysphonias, and that severe dysphonias with organic backgrounds may require longer rehabilitation phases. ..
- Betz A, Higbee T, Kelley K, Sellers T, Pollard J. Increasing response variability of mand frames with script training and extinction. J Appl Behav Anal. 2011;44:357-62 pubmed publisher..Results demonstrated that extinction following script training was effective for increasing variability for 2 of the 3 participants. ..
- Schindler A, Mozzanica F, Ginocchio D, Maruzzi P, Atac M, Ottaviani F. Vocal improvement after voice therapy in the treatment of benign vocal fold lesions. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2012;32:304-8 pubmed..Quello riportato è uno dei primi studi che ha cercato di analizzare l'efficacia della terapia logopedica nel trattamento delle lesioni cordali benigne. Occorrono pertanto ulteriori studi che possano confermare questi dati preliminari. ..
- Baker J. Persistent dysphonia in two performers affecting the singing and projected speaking voice: a report on a collaborative approach to management. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2002;27:179-87 pubmed..The second, a 34-year-old female alto with strained phonation and perceived stutter of the vocal folds was diagnosed with "adductor spasmodic dysphonia" or "focal laryngeal dystonia" of neurological origin. ..
- Enflo L, Sundberg J, Romedahl C, McAllister A. Effects on vocal fold collision and phonation threshold pressure of resonance tube phonation with tube end in water. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2013;56:1530-8 pubmed publisher..Resonance tube phonation significantly raised CTP and tended to improve perceptual ratings of voice quality. The effect on PTP did not reach significance. ..
- Fu S, Theodoros D, Ward E. Delivery of Intensive Voice Therapy for Vocal Fold Nodules Via Telepractice: A Pilot Feasibility and Efficacy Study. J Voice. 2015;29:696-706 pubmed publisher..Pending final verification with a FTF comparison group, telepractice could be recommended as an alternate treatment modality for patients with vocal fold nodules. ..
- JOHNSON A, Kempster G. Classification of the classical male singing voice using long-term average spectrum. J Voice. 2011;25:538-43 pubmed publisher..LTAS remains a promising tool to aid in singing-voice classification. However, how to best use LTAS in classification remains unclear because of the influence of sample length and phonetic and pitch content on LTAS. ..