Summary: The washing of a body cavity or surface by flowing water or solution for therapy or diagnosis.
- Borody T, George L, Andrews P, Brandl S, Noonan S, Cole P, et al. Bowel-flora alteration: a potential cure for inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome?. Med J Aust. 1989;150:604 pubmed
- Law D, Goh E. Incision-sparing management of canaliculitis: an efficacious alternative to surgical management. Can J Ophthalmol. 2017;52:258-263 pubmed publisher..In our experience, incision-sparing modalities are effective in the treatment of canaliculitis and have low recurrence rates. ..
- Gopalakrishnan P, Goel N, Banerjee S. Saline irrigation for the management of skin extravasation injury in neonates. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;7:CD008404 pubmed publisher..It will also be important for investigators to determine effect size by examining the timing of the intervention, the nature of the infusate, and severity of injury at the time of intervention. ..
- Hjortrup A, Moesgaard F, Kjaergård J. Fibrin adhesive in the treatment of perineal fistulas. Dis Colon Rectum. 1991;34:752-4 pubmed..The method seems to be a valuable alternative in the treatment of a persistent, long and narrow perineal sinus or fistula. ..
- . A multi-centre randomized controlled trial comparing arthroscopic osteochondroplasty and lavage with arthroscopic lavage alone on patient important outcomes and quality of life in the treatment of young adult (18-50) femoroacetabular impingement. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015;16:64 pubmed publisher..Few orthopaedic surgical trials have similar potential to shift the paradigm of care dramatically towards (or away) from surgical bony and soft tissue interventions. The FIRST trial is registered with clinicaltrials.gov (NCT01623843). ..
- Miadonna A, Tedeschi A, Arnoux B, Sala A, Zanussi C, Benveniste J. Evidence of PAF-acether metabolic pathway activation in antigen challenge of upper respiratory airways. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1989;140:142-7 pubmed..On the basis of these results, it is conceivable that these ether-phospholipids may be involved in allergic inflammation of human nasal airways. ..
- Fry D. Pressure Irrigation of Surgical Incisions and Traumatic Wounds. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:424-430 pubmed publisher..There is need for randomized clinical trials to validate pressure lavage in the prevention of infections in soft tissue injuries or high-risk surgical incisions. ..
- Smith M. Arthroscopic treatment of the septic knee. Arthroscopy. 1986;2:30-4 pubmed..7%) of 30 patients. There were no poor results or recurrences, and no cases of osteomyelitis occurred. This method of treatment markedly reduces the morbidity and hospital stay of patients with a septic knee. ..
- Loktionov D, Oduola O, Cloherty J, Warner S, Purandare N. Comparison of costs associated with substituting culture medium with saline solution for follicular flushing during oocyte retrieval. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2017;139:180-184 pubmed publisher..Switching from culture medium to normal saline for follicular flushing significantly reduced oocyte-retrieval costs without adversely affecting reproductive outcomes. ..
- Leggieri E, Tedeschi A, Lorini M, Bianco A, Miadonna A. Study of the effects of paf-acether on human nasal airways. Allergy. 1991;46:466-71 pubmed..02). Nasal effects of paf were not mediated by histamine, since no increase in histamine levels was observed in nasal washings following paf insufflation. We conclude that paf may have pathogenetic relevance in allergic rhinitis. ..
- van der Bel R, Blokhuis T. Increased osteogenic capacity of Reamer/Irrigator/Aspirator derived mesenchymal stem cells. Injury. 2014;45:2060-4 pubmed..This study provides further evidence indicating that RIA bone graft provides superior osteogenic properties compared to iliac crest bone graft. ..
- Zeng R, Wu R, Lv Q, Tong N, Zhang Y. The association of hypernatremia and hypertonic saline irrigation in hepatic hydatid cysts: A case report and retrospective study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7889 pubmed publisher..Hypernatremia after HS irrigation remains rare but might cause severe complications. Monitoring and appropriate treatment are needed to improve prognosis. ..
- Spear G, Al Harthi L, Sha B, Saarloos M, Hayden M, Massad L, et al. A potent activator of HIV-1 replication is present in the genital tract of a subset of HIV-1-infected and uninfected women. AIDS. 1997;11:1319-26 pubmed..This factor could potentially affect sexual or vertical transmission of HIV-1 by altering genital tract virus load or virus expression. ..
- Costabel U, Bross K, Reuter C, Ruhle K, Matthys H. Alterations in immunoregulatory T-cell subsets in cigarette smokers. A phenotypic analysis of bronchoalveolar and blood lymphocytes. Chest. 1986;90:39-44 pubmed..These results suggest that cellular immunoregulation is disturbed in the lungs of cigarette smokers. This may play a role in pulmonary defense mechanisms and tumor immunity. ..
- Esterhai J, Gelb I. Adult septic arthritis. Orthop Clin North Am. 1991;22:503-14 pubmed
- Gupta M, Singh S, Singh H, Chauhan B. To study the role of antibiotic+steroid irrigation of the middle ear in active chronic otitis media with small perforation and pulsatile discharge. B-ENT. 2014;10:35-40 pubmed..Patients with chronic suppurative otitis media involving small perforations and pulsatile discharge can be managed conservatively with simple suction cleaning + middle ear irrigation with antibiotics + steroid drops. ..
- Wellmann W, Fink P, Benner F, Schmidt F. Endotoxaemia in active Crohn's disease. Treatment with whole gut irrigation and 5-aminosalicylic acid. Gut. 1986;27:814-20 pubmed..Earlier improvement after whole gut irrigation indicates its beneficial effect in active Crohn's disease. ..
- Gabriel E, Singla S, Kim M, Fisher D, Powers C, Visioni A, et al. Water lavage as an adjunct to cytoreductive surgery with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (CRS-HIPEC). Am J Surg. 2017;214:462-467 pubmed publisher..32 vs WL-:0.39, pÂ =Â 0.47). A subset analysis for patients with PCI >20 showed no difference between groups. WL offers a low cost, safe and theoretically efficacious method of tumor cell lysis for peritoneal malignancy. ..
- Bhandari M, Schemitsch E, Adili A, Lachowski R, Shaughnessy S. High and low pressure pulsatile lavage of contaminated tibial fractures: an in vitro study of bacterial adherence and bone damage. J Orthop Trauma. 1999;13:526-33 pubmed..This finding may have clinical significance in the development of infection following open tibial fractures. ..
- Allgen L, Norlén H, Kolmert T, Berg K. Absorption and elimination of mannitol solution when used as an isotonic irrigating agent in connection with transurethral resection of the prostate. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 1987;21:177-84 pubmed..This shows that, in spite of the theoretical assumptions made in the calculation of absorbed fluid volume from the plasma mannitol concentration, this method of calculation is valid.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Madden K, Scott T, McKay P, Petrisor B, Jeray K, Tanner S, et al. Predicting and Preventing Loss to Follow-up of Adult Trauma Patients in Randomized Controlled Trials: An Example from the FLOW Trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:1086-1092 pubmed publisher..Therefore, strategies should be targeted to these participants. Use of the planning and prevention strategies outlined in the current study can minimize loss to follow-up in orthopaedic trials. ..
- Erjefalt I, Persson C. On the use of absorbing discs to sample mucosal surface liquids. Clin Exp Allergy. 1990;20:193-7 pubmed..As demonstrated in this study by the elevated content of a plasma tracer molecule an inflammatory process may, nevertheless, be traced in the mixture of surface and tissue fluids that is sampled by the discs. ..
- Shulman G, Waugh T. Acute bacterial arthritis in the adult. Orthop Rev. 1988;17:955-60 pubmed..The clinical features, pathophysiology, and treatment of this disorder are reviewed. ..
- Jackson R. The septic knee--arthroscopic treatment. Arthroscopy. 1985;1:194-7 pubmed
- Moosmayer S, Ekeberg O, Hallgren H, Heier I, Kvalheim S, Blomquist J, et al. KALK study: ultrasound guided needling and lavage (barbotage) with steroid injection versus sham barbotage with and without steroid injection - protocol for a randomized, double-blinded, controlled, multicenter study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:138 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT02419040 , registered 10 April 2015 EudraCT: 2015-002343-34, registered 23 September 2015 (retrospectively registered). ..
- Gokturk H, Ozkocak I, Buyukgebiz F, Demir O. Effectiveness of various irrigation protocols for the removal of calcium hydroxide from artificial standardized grooves. J Appl Oral Sci. 2017;25:290-298 pubmed publisher..05). Nevertheless, none of the investigated protocols were able to completely remove all CH from all three root regions. LAI and PUI showed less residual CH than the other protocols from artificial grooves. ..
- de Jonge S, Boldingh Q, Solomkin J, Allegranzi B, Egger M, Dellinger E, et al. Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials Evaluating Prophylactic Intra-Operative Wound Irrigation for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infections. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:508-519 pubmed publisher..63). Low-quality evidence suggests considering the use of prophylactic incisional wound irrigation to prevent SSI with an aqueous povidone-iodine solution. Antibiotic irrigation does not show a benefit and therefore is discouraged. ..
- Rogers D, Blouin G, O Leary J. Povidone-iodine wound irrigation and wound sepsis. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1983;157:426-30 pubmed..The potential of an alpha or a beta error is discussed. ..
- Blitzer C. Arthroscopic management of septic arthritis of the hip. Arthroscopy. 1993;9:414-6 pubmed..Follow-up averaged 20.4 months. Arthroscopic treatment of septic arthritis of the hip is as effective as open arthrotomy, yet with much lower morbidity. ..
- Stollman N, Manten H. Angioedema from oral polyethylene glycol electrolyte lavage solution. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996;44:209-10 pubmed
- Neumann P, Berglund J, Fernandez Mondejar E, Magnusson A, Hedenstierna G. Dynamics of lung collapse and recruitment during prolonged breathing in porcine lung injury. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1998;85:1533-43 pubmed..In this experimental setting, expiration times <0.6 s are required to avoid cyclic alveolar collapse during mechanical ventilation without extrinsic positive end-expiratory pressure. ..
- Tamai K, Suzuki A, Takahashi S, Akhgar J, Rahmani M, Hayashi K, et al. The incidence of nerve root injury by high-speed drill can be reduced by chilled saline irrigation in a rabbit model. Bone Joint J. 2017;99-B:554-560 pubmed publisher..Chilled saline irrigation had a more prominent effect than RT in reducing the incidence of the thermal injury during extended drilling. Cite this article: Bone Joint J 2017;99-B:554-60. ..
- Jensen D, Machicado G. Diagnosis and treatment of severe hematochezia. The role of urgent colonoscopy after purge. Gastroenterology. 1988;95:1569-74 pubmed..However, the examinations may be complementary. (e) Hemostasis via colonoscopy has a definitive role in the treatment of some focal colonic lesions such as bleeding angiomata. ..
- Vladimirova T, Barishevskaya L, Lyamin A, Kondratenko O, Velikanov A. [Applicability of antibacterial agents in chronic tonsillitis treatment]. Vestn Otorinolaringol. 2017;82:55-59 pubmed publisher..3-? ?????? ?? ??? ?? ???????? ???????????? ?????????. ?????????? ???????????? ??????? ? ???????????? ???????????? ?????????? ???????? ? ?????????????? ??????? ???????????? ??????????. ..
- Ohman K, Wan L, Guthrie T, Johnston B, Leinicke J, Glasgow S, et al. Combination of Oral Antibiotics and Mechanical Bowel Preparation Reduces Surgical Site Infection in Colorectal Surgery. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:465-471 pubmed publisher..1 to 0.9; p = 0.006). Implementation of an IPB was successful in decreasing SSI rates in colorectal surgery patients. The combination of oral antibiotics with a mechanical bowel preparation was the strongest predictor of decreased SSI. ..
- Fels A, Cohn Z. The alveolar macrophage. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1986;60:353-69 pubmed
- Oikawa R, Watanabe Y, Miyamoto S, Sato Y, Ono S, Mabe K, et al. Enrichment of Helicobacter pylori mutant strains after eradication therapy analyzed by gastric wash-based quantitative pyrosequencing. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317734865 pubmed publisher..Being sensitive and representative, our assay will be useful in effectively addressing gastric cancer development by enhancing the long-term success of intervention strategies and consecutive surveillance for H. pylori eradication...
- Lapointe J, Laverty S, Lavoie J. Septic arthritis in 15 standardbred racehorses after intra-articular injection. Equine Vet J. 1992;24:430-4 pubmed..The results of bacterial cultures suggest that the initial antimicrobial agents used should be effective against penicillin-resistant staphylococci. ..
- Hobeika M, Dar W, Hall D, Bynon J. Retrograde Flushing of Living Donor Renal Allografts via the Renal Vein: A Simple, Effective Technique. Transplantation. 2017;101:2111-2114 pubmed publisher..The RF technique is simple and safe, with results equivalent to the PF technique. The RF technique may be especially useful after recovering kidneys with small and/or multiple arteries. ..
- Lu C, Hao J, Liu X, Liang L, Zhou D. Pseudomonas aeruginosa endophthalmitis caused by accidental iatrogenic ocular injury with a hypodermic needle. J Int Med Res. 2017;45:882-885 pubmed publisher..The patient remained stable during the 2-month follow-up. Standard practice should be adopted when irrigating the eye to prevent this type of injury, and emergent surgical intervention is very important to preserve visual function. ..
- Gower E, Lindsley K, Tulenko S, Nanji A, Leyngold I, McDonnell P. Perioperative antibiotics for prevention of acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;2:CD006364 pubmed publisher..It is a potentially vision-threatening complication of cataract surgery. Prophylactic measures for endophthalmitis are targeted against various sources of infection...
- Kaysinger K, Nicholson N, Ramp W, Kellam J. Toxic effects of wound irrigation solutions on cultured tibiae and osteoblasts. J Orthop Trauma. 1995;9:303-11 pubmed..These results suggest that the use of irrigation solutions containing H2O2, Betadine solution, or Betadine scrub on exposed bone tissue should be considered with caution. ..
- Klein L, Huelster J, Adil U, Rischall M, Brunette D, Kempainen R, et al. Endovascular rewarming in the emergency department for moderate to severe accidental hypothermia. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1624-1629 pubmed publisher..The endovascular temperature control system was not associated with an increased rate of rewarming in this cohort with moderate to severe hypothermia; however, this technique appears to be safe and feasible. ..
- Sun Y, Jiang W, Cory E, Caffrey J, Hsu F, Chen A, et al. Pulsed lavage cleansing of osteochondral grafts depends on lavage duration, flow intensity, and graft storage condition. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176934 pubmed publisher..Pulsed lavage of OCAs with consistent time and flow intensity will help standardize marrow cleansing and may improve clinical outcomes. ..
- Abuzeid W, Peterson A, Rathor A, Xu J, Velasquez N, Rashan A, et al. Enhanced Irrigant Delivery to the Ethmoid Sinuses Directly Following Ethmoid Punch Sinusotomy. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:804-812 pubmed publisher..This adjunctive work investigates the technical characteristics of EPS and determines if EPS measurably alters the topical delivery of irrigant into the ethmoid sinuses in a cadaveric model...