Genomes and Genes
Summary: The period before a surgical operation.
- Wright R, Born D, D Souza N, Hurd L, Gill R, Wright D. Why do inguinal hernia patients have pain? Histology points to compression neuropathy. Am J Surg. 2017;213:975-982 pubmed publisher..These findings support the concept that preoperative hernia pain is associated with compression neuropathy. ..
- Akamine T, Toyokawa G, Matsubara T, Kozuma Y, Haratake N, Takamori S, et al. Significance of the Preoperative CONUT Score in Predicting Postoperative Disease-free and Overall Survival in Patients with Lung Adenocarcinoma with Obstructive Lung Disease. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2735-2742 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that the CONUT score was an independent prognostic factor for disease-free and overall survival in patients with lung adenocarcinoma with obstructive lung disease. ..
- Pous Serrano S, Frasson M, Cerrillo E, Beltran B, Iborra M, Hervás D, et al. Correlation between fecal calprotectin and inflammation in the surgical specimen of Crohn's disease. J Surg Res. 2017;213:290-297 pubmed publisher..FC is an excellent biomarker of inflammatory activity in small bowel CD as it correlates with histologic inflammation in the surgical specimen. ..
- Baber U, Sartori S, Aquino M, Kini A, Kapadia S, Weiss S, et al. Use of prasugrel vs clopidogrel and outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention in contemporary clinical practice: Results from the PROMETHEUS study. Am Heart J. 2017;188:73-81 pubmed publisher..The lower ischemic and bleeding events associated with prasugrel use were no longer evident after accounting for these baseline differences. ..
- Zacharia B, Kahn S, Bander E, Cederquist G, Cope W, McLaughlin L, et al. Incidence and risk factors for preoperative deep venous thrombosis in 314 consecutive patients undergoing surgery for spinal metastasis. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;27:189-197 pubmed publisher..Understanding the preoperative thrombotic status may provide an opportunity for early intervention and risk stratification in this critically ill population. ..
- Kawata T, Matsuo T. Positive bacterial culture in conjunctival sac before cataract surgery with night stay is related to diabetes mellitus. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:14 pubmed publisher..This study would provide a hint for identifying patients at risk for carrying bacterial flora in the conjunctival sac. ..
- Myers K, Green L, Lebron L, Morris E. Imaging Appearance and Clinical Impact of Preoperative Breast MRI in Pregnancy-Associated Breast Cancer. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017;209:W177-W183 pubmed publisher..Breast MRI had a high sensitivity for PABC in our study population. MRI may play an important role in PABC because it changed the surgical management of 28% of patients. ..
- Duan C, Cao Y, Liu Y, Zhou L, Ping K, TAN M, et al. A New Preprocedure Risk Score for Predicting Contrast-Induced Acute Kidney Injury. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:714-723 pubmed publisher..This tool allows assessment of the risk of CI-AKI before contrast exposure, allowing for timely initiation of appropriate preventive measures. ..
- Barrett D, Casanueva F, Wang T. Understanding Approaches to the Dorsal Hump. Facial Plast Surg. 2017;33:125-132 pubmed publisher..Failure to anticipate the potential long-term sequelae and appropriately manage the dorsal defect can lead to a poor result and patient dissatisfaction. ..
- Luo M, Lv Y, Guo X, Song H, Su G, Chen B. Value and impact factors of multidetector computed tomography in diagnosis of preoperative lymph node metastasis in gastric cancer: A PRISMA-compliant systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7769 pubmed publisher..Proportion of serosa-invasive GC subjects, MDCT section thickness, MPR, and reference standard are the main factors influencing its diagnostic accuracy. ..
- Delibasic M, Mohamedali B, Dobrilovic N, Raman J. Pre-transplant depression as a predictor of adherence and morbidities after orthotopic heart transplantation. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2017;12:62 pubmed publisher..52). Depression was a strong predictor of poor medication compliance and higher rates of hospitalization in transplant recipients. No difference in survival between depressed and non-depressed patients after OHT was noted. ..
- Liu L, Wang F, Xu D, Xie C, Zou J. The application of wide-field laser ophthalmoscopy in fundus examination before myopic refractive surgery. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:250 pubmed publisher..In order to avoid misdiagnosis of peripheral retinal lesions, Goldmann three-mirror contact lens examination is needed. ..
- Reeh M, Ghadban T, Uzunoglu F, Nentwich M, Bockhorn M, Pantel K, et al. Hamburg-Glasgow classification: preoperative staging by combination of disseminated tumour load and systemic inflammation in oesophageal carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:612-618 pubmed publisher..To improve the clinical staging, we merged the Glasgow Prognostic Score (GPS) and disseminated tumour cells (DTC) into a new sufficient preoperative staging classification, the Hamburg-Glasgow classification (HGC)...
- Oliveira G, Oliveira S, Botelho P, Oliveira M, Bian K, Murad F. Tadalafil: Protective Action against the Development of Multiple Organ Failure Syndrome. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;32:312-317 pubmed publisher..Tadalafil would possibly act protectively by reducing cGMP degradation with consequent diffuse vasodilatation, besides reduction of platelet-induced hypercoagulation, thus, preventing multiple organ failure syndrome development...
- Kiran U, Ladha S, Makhija N, Kapoor P, Choudhury M, Das S, et al. The role of Rajyoga meditation for modulation of anxiety and serum cortisol in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery: A prospective randomized control study. Ann Card Anaesth. 2017;20:158-162 pubmed publisher..Mindbody intervention is found to effective in reducing the anxiety of the patients and modulating the cortisol level in patients undergoing wellknown stressful surgery like coronary artery bypass surgery. ..
- Fomenko Y, Sirota V, Omarova I, Kabildina N, Amanov A. NEOADJUVANT ?HEMOTHERAPY FOR LOCALLY ADVANCED BREAST CANCER. Georgian Med News. 2017;:11-16 pubmed..There was no statistically significant difference in pathological response in patients of all three groups. Arglabin has very low toxicity and eliminates the toxic effects of standard chemotherapy. ..
- Hayashi Y, Miyamoto T, Fujita S, Tomoyose K, Ishikawa N, Kokado M, et al. Bacteriology of the conjunctiva in pre-cataract surgery patients with occluded nasolacrimal ducts and the operation outcomes in Japanese patients. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:15 pubmed publisher..All the patients receiving cataract day surgery underwent the operation after the elimination of conjunctival microorganism contamination in association with nasolacrimal duct obstruction by using appropriate topical antibiotics. ..
- Chirico A, D Aiuto G, Penon A, Mallia L, De Laurentiis M, Lucidi F, et al. Self-Efficacy for Coping with Cancer Enhances the Effect of Reiki Treatments During the Pre-Surgery Phase of Breast Cancer Patients. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3657-3665 pubmed..From a practical perspective, the study provides insightful results for healthcare professionals. ..
- Wang D, Liu M, Chen Y, Zhang X, Xu Y, Wang J, et al. Differences in the corneal biomechanical changes after SMILE and LASIK. J Refract Surg. 2014;30:702-7 pubmed publisher..05). When comparing SMILE with LASIK, myopia was greater than -6.00 D, and the corneal hysteresis, corneal resistance factor, p1area, and p2area decrease was less after SMILE. ..
- Vemulapalli S, Lippmann S, Krucoff M, Hernandez A, Curtis L, Foster E, et al. Cardiovascular events and hospital resource utilization pre- and post-transcatheter mitral valve repair in high-surgical risk patients. Am Heart J. 2017;189:146-157 pubmed publisher..Payors and providers seeking to reduce HF hospitalizations and associated Medicare costs may consider MitraClip among appropriate patients likely to survive 1 year. ..
- Jammallo L, Miller C, Singer M, Horick N, Skolny M, Specht M, et al. Impact of body mass index and weight fluctuation on lymphedema risk in patients treated for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013;142:59-67 pubmed..Close monitoring or early intervention to ensure optimal treatment of the condition may be appropriate for these patients. ..
- Araújo L, Lopes L, Silva P, Perrusi V, Farias V, Azevedo E. Sensory symptoms in patients undergoing thyroidectomy. Codas. 2017;29:e20150294 pubmed publisher..Reduction in the sensory symptom of choke and in the frequency and severity of throat dryness was self-reported by thyroidectomy patients postoperatively. ..
- Matsushima K, Inaba K, Jhaveri V, Cheng V, Herr K, Siboni S, et al. Loss of muscle mass: a significant predictor of postoperative complications in acute diverticulitis. J Surg Res. 2017;211:39-44 pubmed publisher..Preoperative assessment of the psoas muscle CSA and TVD on computed tomography can be a practical method for identifying patients at risk for postoperative complications. ..
- Presl J, Ovesna P, Novotny Z, Vlasak P, Bouda J, Kostun J, et al. Importance of Preoperative Knowledge of the Biomarker HE4 in Early-stage Endometrial Cancer Regarding Surgical Management. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2697-2702 pubmed..Combination of HE4 with ultrasound does not improve the stratification of patients into low-risk and high-risk groups. Preoperative assessment of HE4 is useful providing no imaging method is available. ..
- Santos H, Lima J, de Souza M. [Comparative study of the nutritional evolution of patients/candidates for bariatric surgery attended by the Unified Health System and the Supplemental Health Network]. Cien Saude Colet. 2014;19:1359-65 pubmed..The insignificant reduction of most biochemical indicators of SUS patients can be justified by the fact that they had a more advanced degree of obesity. ..
- Wu T, Lin H, Lo L, Ho C. Postoperative outcomes of two- and three-dimensional planning in orthognathic surgery: A comparative study. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1101-1111 pubmed publisher..The 3D planning technique provided superior overall outcomes. The study findings can be used to augment clinical planning and surgical execution when using a conventional approach. ..
- Yagi Yaguchi Y, Yamaguchi T, Higa K, Suzuki T, Yazu H, Aketa N, et al. Preoperative Aqueous Cytokine Levels Are Associated With a Rapid Reduction in Endothelial Cells After Penetrating Keratoplasty. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;181:166-173 pubmed publisher..05). Higher preoperative levels of IL-10, MCP-1, and IFN-? in the AqH were associated with low ECD after PKP. ..
- Zheng H, Schnabel A, Yahiaoui Doktor M, Meissner W, Van Aken H, Zahn P, et al. Age and preoperative pain are major confounders for sex differences in postoperative pain outcome: A prospective database analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178659 pubmed publisher..These findings may in part explain why clinical studies get different results related to sex differences and renders specific awareness in older women and female patients with preoperative chronic pain. ..
- Fernandez Bustamante A, Bartels K, Clavijo C, Scott B, Kacmar R, Bullard K, et al. Preoperatively Screened Obstructive Sleep Apnea Is Associated With Worse Postoperative Outcomes Than Previously Diagnosed Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:593-602 pubmed publisher..Multidisciplinary interventions are needed for these high-risk patients. ..
- Hayashi T, Fujita K, Nojima S, Hayashi Y, Nakano K, Ishizuya Y, et al. Peripheral blood monocyte count reflecting tumor-infiltrating macrophages is a predictive factor of adverse pathology in radical prostatectomy specimens. Prostate. 2017;77:1383-1388 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to assess the association of peripheral blood monocyte count with pathological findings and local tumor-infiltrating macrophages in prostatectomy specimens...
- Liebetrau C, Kim W, Meyer A, Arsalan M, Gaede L, Blumenstein J, et al. Identification of Periprocedural Myocardial Infarction Using a High-Sensitivity Troponin I Assay in Patients Who Underwent Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1180-1186 pubmed publisher..Our new TAVI-specific reference values yield a more realistic estimation of the myocardial ischemic risk. hs-cTnI, however, does not seem to be the biomarker of choice for MI detection in this setting. ..
- Xu S, Zhang J, Xu Y, Wu H, Xue X, Wang H. Relationship between Angiotensin Converting Enzyme, Apelin, and New-Onset Atrial Fibrillation after Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:7951793 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the high ACE and low apelin preoperatively led to CRP and MDA being increased postoperatively, which was probably associated with POAF after OPCABG. Apelin may be a new predictor for POAF. ..
- Cocho L, Fernandez I, Calonge M, Sainz De La Maza M, Rovira M, Stern M, et al. Prehematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Tear Cytokines as Potential Susceptibility Biomarkers for Ocular Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4836-4846 pubmed publisher..To determine if cytokine tear levels before hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) can help anticipate the occurrence of ocular chronic graft-versus-host disease (cGVHD)...
- Ding X, Yang D, Ke C, Gong L, Zhan H, Yan R, et al. Value of evaluating procalcitonin kinetics in diagnosis of infections in patients undergoing laparoscopic radical cystectomy. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8152 pubmed publisher..This study suggest that early elevation of PCT within the first 24?hours of new onset infection, interpreted with clinical results, appears to be a promising indicator for the diagnosis of infections following LRC...
- Soto M, Salas J, Vargas Barrón J, Marquez R, Rodriguez Hernandez A, Bojalil Parra R, et al. Pre- and post-surgical evaluation of the inflammatory response in patients with aortic stenosis treated with different types of prosthesis. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2017;17:100 pubmed publisher..Both types of prosthesis are recommended, they had similarities in hemodynamic profiles registered with Doppler echocardiography. Age of the patient or the suitability use of anticoagulants determines the type of prosthesis to be used. ..
- Borgen P, Pripp A, Dybvik E, Leistad L, Dahl O, Reikeras O. Similar Clinical Outcomes with Preoperative and Postoperative Start of Thromboprophylaxis in THA: A Register-based Study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017;475:2245-2252 pubmed publisher..Methods for individual risk assessment including laboratory tests would be feasible. Level III, therapeutic study. ..
- Eschalier B, Descamps S, Pereira B, Vaillant Roussel H, Girard G, Boisgard S, et al. Randomized blinded trial of standardized written patient information before total knee arthroplasty. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178358 pubmed publisher..A study assessing the impact of the booklet combined with a exercise program would be helpful. Level I, randomized controlled double-blind trial; see S1 CONSORT Checklist. clinicaltrials.gov #NCT01747759. ..
- Kang Y, Lee G, Lee J, Lee E, Kim B, Kim S, et al. Texture Analysis of Torn Rotator Cuff on Preoperative Magnetic Resonance Arthrography as a Predictor of Postoperative Tendon Status. Korean J Radiol. 2017;18:691-698 pubmed publisher..053) and entropy (OR = 17.095) were significant predictors. Texture analysis of torn SSTs on preoperative T2-weighted MRA using the GLCM may be helpful to predict postoperative tendon state after rotator cuff repair. ..
- Yu J, Zhong J, Mei Z, Zhao F, Tao N, Xiang Y. Evaluation of biometry and corneal astigmatism in cataract surgery patients from Central China. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:56 pubmed publisher..The profile of ocular biometric data and corneal astigmatism may help ophthalmologists improve their surgical procedures and make an appropriate IOL choice to gain a high quality of postoperative vision. ..
- Pickard A, Hung Y, Lin F, Lee T. Patient Experience-based Value Sets: Are They Stable?. Med Care. 2017;55:979-984 pubmed publisher..Although societal preference weights are desirable to inform resource-allocation decision-making, patient experienced health state-based value sets can be useful for clinical decision-making, but context may matter...
- Carlo W, Clark S, Borasino S, Alten J. Impact of contrast exposure from computed tomography angiography on acute kidney injury after neonatal cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. Congenit Heart Dis. 2017;12:540-545 pubmed publisher..It is unclear if exposure to computed tomography angiography (CTA) in the preoperative period increases the risk of AKI...
- Hummelink S, Verhulst A, Maal T, Hoogeveen Y, Schultze Kool L, Ulrich D. An innovative method of planning and displaying flap volume in DIEP flap breast reconstructions. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:871-875 pubmed publisher..In our opinion, this innovative approach is the first step in consequently achieving symmetric breast volumes in DIEP flap breast reconstructions. ..
- Sobotka R, Capoun O, Kalousova M, Hanus T, Zima T, Kostirova M, et al. Prognostic Importance of Vitamins A, E and Retinol-binding Protein 4 in Renal Cell Carcinoma Patients. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3801-3806 pubmed..7-times higher with vitamin A levels under 0.52 mg/l. Low levels of vitamin A, E and RBP4 at the time of RCC diagnosis are associated with a poorer prognosis after surgery. ..
- Maheshwari K, You J, Cummings K, Argalious M, Sessler D, Kurz A, et al. Attempted Development of a Tool to Predict Anesthesia Preparation Time From Patient-Related and Procedure-Related Characteristics. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:580-592 pubmed publisher..34 for the training data set and 0.27 for the testing data set. Using preoperative factors, we could explain only about a quarter of the variance in anesthesia preparation time-an amount that is probably of limited clinical value. ..
- Schmitz A, Veldhuis W, Menke Pluijmers M, van der Kemp W, van der Velden T, Viergever M, et al. Preoperative indication for systemic therapy extended to patients with early-stage breast cancer using multiparametric 7-tesla breast MRI. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183855 pubmed publisher..Preoperatively, positive indication for systemic therapy is highly accurate. Negative indication is highly accurate (96%) for tumors sized ?2,0cm on DCE-MRI and with PME?PDE ratios on 31P-MRS. ..
- Lu K, Li Y, Shi T, Yu F, Min S, Qiao L, et al. Changes in expression of Wnt signaling pathway inhibitors dickkopf-1 and sclerostin before and after total joint arthroplasty. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8082 pubmed publisher..Increased DKK1 and decreased SOST levels may help maintain the equilibrium of the WNT pathway in OA patient's postsurgery. ..
- Yamada A, Komaki Y, Patel N, Komaki F, Aelvoet A, Tran A, et al. Risk of Postoperative Complications Among Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients Treated Preoperatively With Vedolizumab. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1423-1429 pubmed publisher..We compared the 30-day postoperative complications among patients treated preoperatively with vedolizumab, anti-tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-? agents or non-biological therapy...
- Axente C, Licker M, Moldovan R, Hogea E, Muntean D, Horhat F, et al. Antimicrobial consumption, costs and resistance patterns: a two year prospective study in a Romanian intensive care unit. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:358 pubmed publisher..The present data should represent convincing evidence for policy changes in the antibiotic therapy. ..
- Guo Y, Wu X, Zheng X, Lu J, Wang S, Huang X. Usefulness of Preoperative Transforming Growth Factor-Beta to Predict New Onset Atrial Fibrillation After Surgical Ventricular Septal Myectomy in Patients With Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:118-123 pubmed publisher..30 to 4.50, p = 0.005) predicted AF independently. In conclusion, elevated preoperative TGF-β value is an independent predictor of postoperative AF in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy patients after surgical ventricular septal myectomy. ..
- Hur M, Koo C, Lee H, Park S, Kim M, Kim W, et al. Preoperative aspirin use and acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: A propensity-score matched observational study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177201 pubmed publisher..However, differences in AKI and hospital stay were not associated with in-hospital mortality. ..
- Hylkema T, Stevens M, van Beveren J, Rijk P, van Jonbergen H, Brouwer R, et al. Preoperative characteristics of working-age patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183550 pubmed publisher..Working patients scored overall better on preoperative characteristics than retired patients, and except for physical activity scored overall worse than the general population. ..
- Yuan Z, Baker K, Redman M, Wang L, Adams S, Yu M, et al. Dynamic plasma microRNAs are biomarkers for prognosis and early detection of recurrence in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1202-1210 pubmed publisher..Pre-operative plasma miR-29a, 200b, 203, and 31 are potential CRC prognosis biomarkers. In addition, dynamic postoperative miR-31, 141 and 16 levels are potential biomarkers for the early detection of recurrence during CRC surveillance. ..
- Tang X, Wang S, An C, Du P, Yang Y. Preoperative High Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte Ratio Is Associated with High-grade Bladder Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4659-4663 pubmed..Preoperative NLR was found to be associated with pathological tumor grading, but was not associated with pathological tumor staging in patients with bladder cancer. ..
- Wu A, Weingart J, Gallia G, Lim M, Brem H, Bettegowda C, et al. Risk Factors for Preoperative Seizures and Loss of Seizure Control in Patients Undergoing Surgery for Metastatic Brain Tumors. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:120-128 pubmed publisher..Patients with preoperative seizures who underwent resection tended to have good seizure control after surgery. ..
- Chung H, Cheon G, Kang K, Kim J, Park N, Song Y. Preoperative PET/CT FDG standardized uptake value of pelvic lymph nodes as a significant prognostic factor in patients with uterine cervical cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2014;41:674-81 pubmed..Patients with SUV(LN) ? 2.36 and SUV(LN) <2.36 differed significantly in terms of recurrence (HR 15.20, P < 0.001). Preoperative pelvic LN FDG uptake showed a strong significant association with uterine cervical cancer recurrence. ..
- Lee J, Jung C, Jeon Y, Kim T, Cho Y, Koo C, et al. Effects of preoperative aspirin on perioperative platelet activation and dysfunction in patients undergoing off-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery: A prospective randomized study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180466 pubmed publisher..Our study showed that preoperative use of aspirin for OPCAB did not affect perioperative platelet activation, but it impaired platelet aggregation, which did not affect postoperative bleeding, by arachidonic acid. ..
- Mlecnik B, Van Den Eynde M, Bindea G, Church S, Vasaturo A, Fredriksen T, et al. Comprehensive Intrametastatic Immune Quantification and Major Impact of Immunoscore on Survival. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018;110: pubmed publisher..Response to treatment and prolonged survival of metastatic CRC patients were statistically significantly associated with high-immune densities quantified into the least immune-infiltrated metastasis. ..
- Gilabert M, Boher J, Raoul J, Paye F, Bachellier P, Turrini O, et al. Comparison of preoperative imaging and pathological findings for pancreatic head adenocarcinoma: A retrospective analysis by the Association Française de Chirurgie. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7214 pubmed publisher..Imaging gives a fair positive predictive value for venous or arterial invasion; venous invasion on imaging and histology was associated with a poor prognosis; arterial invasion on imaging does not have any significant prognostic value. ..
- Pöhlmann S, Harkness E, Taylor C, Gandhi A, Astley S. Preoperative implant selection for unilateral breast reconstruction using 3D imaging with the Microsoft Kinect sensor. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1059-1067 pubmed publisher..This technology has the potential to facilitate reconstruction surgery planning and implant procurement to maximise symmetry after unilateral reconstruction. ..
- Cheikh A, Belefquih B, Chajai Y, Cheikhaoui Y, El Hassani A, Benouda A. Enterobacteriaceae producing extended-spectrum ?-lactamases (ESBLs) colonization as a risk factor for developing ESBL infections in pediatric cardiac surgery patients: "retrospective cohort study". BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:237 pubmed publisher..Systematic screening of ESBL colonization for cardiac surgery could have a significant contribution, on one hand to guide prophylactic antibiotic therapy of patients, and on the other, to prevent spread of those infections. ..
- Kasai K, Kato N, Konomi K, Shinzawa M, Shimazaki J. Flattening effect of corneal cross-linking depends on the preoperative severity of keratoconus. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8160 pubmed publisher..The more flattening was obtained after CXL in cases with the more advanced keratoconus. No complication, including corneal endothelial damage, was observed even in advanced cases...
- Polin M, Kawasaki A, Amundsen C, Weidner A, Siddiqui N. Do Mixed-Flora Preoperative Urine Cultures Matter?. South Med J. 2017;110:426-429 pubmed publisher..96). In women with mixed-flora compared with no-growth preoperative urine cultures, there were no differences in the prevalence of postoperative UTI. The clinical practice of interpreting mixed-flora cultures as negative is appropriate. ..
- Takeuchi H, Kawanaka H, Fukuyama S, Kubo N, Hiroshige S, Yano T. Comparison of the prognostic values of preoperative inflammation-based parameters in patients with breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177137 pubmed publisher..Both preoperative CRP and PLR values were independently associated with poor prognosis in patients with breast carcinoma; these were superior to other inflammation-based scores in terms of prognostic ability. ..
- Cibas E, Baloch Z, Fellegara G, LiVolsi V, Raab S, Rosai J, et al. A prospective assessment defining the limitations of thyroid nodule pathologic evaluation. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:325-32 pubmed publisher..Substantial inter- and intraobserver variability exists in the cytopathologic and histopathologic evaluation of thyroid nodules, confirming an inherent limitation of visual microscopic diagnosis. Veracyte. ..
- Ubink I, Bloemendal H, Elias S, Brink M, Schwartz M, Holierhoek Y, et al. Imatinib treatment of poor prognosis mesenchymal-type primary colon cancer: a proof-of-concept study in the preoperative window period (ImPACCT). BMC Cancer. 2017;17:282 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT02685046 . Registration date: February 9, 2016. ..
- Mazzaferro D, Wes A, Naran S, Pearl R, Bartlett S, Taylor J. Orthognathic Surgery Has a Significant Effect on Perceived Personality Traits and Emotional Expressions. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:971-981 pubmed publisher..Crowdsourcing technology offers a unique opportunity for surgeons to gather data regarding laypeople's perceptions of surgical outcomes in areas such as orthognathic surgery. ..