orthognathic surgical procedures
Summary: Surgery performed to repair or correct the skeletal anomalies of the jaw and its associated dental and facial structures (e.g. CLEFT PALATE).
- Villegas C, Uribe F, Sugawara J, Nanda R. Expedited correction of significant dentofacial asymmetry using a "surgery first" approach. J Clin Orthod. 2010;44:97-103; quiz 105 pubmed
- Al Moraissi E, Wolford L, Perez D, Laskin D, Ellis E. Does Orthognathic Surgery Cause or Cure Temporomandibular Disorders? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75:1835-1847 pubmed publisher..The presence of presurgical TMD symptoms or the type of jaw deformity did not identify which patients' TMDs would improve, remain the same, or worsen after surgery. ..
- Zhu M, Chai G, Zhang Y, Ma X, Gan J. Registration strategy using occlusal splint based on augmented reality for mandibular angle oblique split osteotomy. J Craniofac Surg. 2011;22:1806-9 pubmed publisher..Augmented reality tools like ARToolKit may be helpful for control of maxillary translocation in orthognathic surgery. ..
- Gaber R, Shaheen E, Falter B, Araya S, Politis C, Swennen G, et al. A Systematic Review to Uncover a Universal Protocol for Accuracy Assessment of 3-Dimensional Virtually Planned Orthognathic Surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75:2430-2440 pubmed publisher..Hence, a protocol is suggested for accuracy assessment of virtually planned orthognathic surgery with the lowest margin of error. ..
- Veeramani A, Sawh R, Steinbacher D. Orthognathic Surgery and Rhinoplasty to Address Nasomaxillary Hypoplasia. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:930-932 pubmed publisher..This article details the diagnosis and treatment of nasomaxillary hypoplasia, demonstrating the senior author's (D.M.S.) preferred approach and technical steps...
- Morawska Kochman M, Marycz K, Jermakow K, Nelke K, Pawlak W, Bochnia M. The presence of bacterial microcolonies on the maxillary sinus ciliary epithelium in healthy young individuals. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176776 pubmed publisher..Because the biofilm is detected on healthy individuals sinus mucosa, the clinical question if it may become pathogenic is unclear and require an explanation. ..
- Chang Y, Ruellas A, Yatabe M, Westgate P, Cevidanes L, Huja S. Soft Tissue Changes Measured With Three-Dimensional Software Provides New Insights for Surgical Predictions. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75:2191-2201 pubmed publisher..In addition, predictive equations for various landmarks were developed and can be used in computer-based prediction programs to aid in treatment planning of soft tissue changes. ..
- Aristizabal J, Martínez Smit R, Villegas C. The "surgery first" approach with passive self-ligating brackets for expedited treatment of skeletal Class III malocclusion. J Clin Orthod. 2015;49:361-70 pubmed
- Yang L, Xiao Y, Liang Y, Wang X, Li J, Liao G. Does the Surgery-First Approach Produce Better Outcomes in Orthognathic Surgery? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75:2422-2429 pubmed publisher..SFA offers an efficient alternative to CTM with shorter total treatment duration, similar postoperative stability, and other surgical results but longer postoperative orthodontic time. ..
- Tan S, Leung W, Tang A, Zwahlen R. Effects of mandibular setback with or without maxillary advancement osteotomies on pharyngeal airways: An overview of systematic reviews. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185951 pubmed publisher..PROSPERO (registration number: CRD42016046484). ..
- Wu T, Lin H, Lo L, Ho C. Postoperative outcomes of two- and three-dimensional planning in orthognathic surgery: A comparative study. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1101-1111 pubmed publisher..The 3D planning technique provided superior overall outcomes. The study findings can be used to augment clinical planning and surgical execution when using a conventional approach. ..
- de Lima V, Lemos C, Faverani L, Santiago Júnior J, Pellizzer E. Effectiveness of Corticoid Administration in Orthognathic Surgery for Edema and Neurosensorial Disturbance: A Systematic Literature Review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75:1528.e1-1528.e8 pubmed publisher..Administering CSs in orthognathic surgery improved the regression of facial edema independent of the dosage used but did not influence neurosensory disorders. ..