organ sparing treatments
Summary: Techniques, procedures, and therapies carried out on diseased organs in such a way to avoid complete removal of the organ and preserve the remaining organ function.
- Onesti M, Maruccia M, Di Taranto G, Albano A, Soda G, Ballesio L, et al. Clinical, histological, and ultrasound follow-up of breast reconstruction with one-stage muscle-sparing "wrap" technique: A single-center experience. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1527-1536 pubmed publisher..The results of this new surgical technique in selected cases are promising in terms of effectiveness and low rate of postoperative complications, but further long-terms evaluations are required. ..
- Rego P, Mascarenhas V, Collado D, Coelho A, Barbosa L, Ganz R. Arterial Topographic Anatomy Near the Femoral Head-Neck Perforation with Surgical Relevance. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:1213-1221 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, it is a prerequisite for a surgeon to understand the normal anatomy and use those boundaries to prevent mistakes during intra-articular joint-preserving hip surgical procedures. ..
- Rha K, Abdel Raheem A, Park S, Kim K, Kim H, Koo K, et al. Impact of preoperative calculation of nephron volume loss on future of partial nephrectomy techniques; planning a strategic roadmap for improving functional preservation and securing oncological safety. BJU Int. 2017;120:682-688 pubmed publisher..The RAIV could lead our research to the level of prediction of the amount of PRF decline after PN and thus would be appropriate for assessing the technical advantages of emerging techniques. ..
- Sbitany H, Piper M, Lentz R. Prepectoral Breast Reconstruction: A Safe Alternative to Submuscular Prosthetic Reconstruction following Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:432-443 pubmed publisher..This technique is now considered for all patients who are safe oncologic candidates and are undergoing nipple-sparing mastectomy and prosthetic reconstruction. Therapeutic, III. ..
- Dias R, Duncan J, de Souza Dinato F, Araújo L, Issa H, Fernandes F, et al. Does aortic valve repair in valve-sparing aortic root reconstruction compromise the longevity of the procedure?. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2017;72:207-212 pubmed publisher..Valve-sparing operation is a safe and long-lasting procedure and performance of aortic valve repair when necessary does not increase risk of reoperation on the aortic valve. ..
- Borah B, Yao X, Laughlin Tommaso S, Heien H, Stewart E. Comparative Effectiveness of Uterine Leiomyoma Procedures Using a Large Insurance Claims Database. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;130:1047-1056 pubmed publisher..Compared with women undergoing myomectomy, women undergoing uterine artery embolization had a higher risk of reintervention, lower risk of subsequent complications, but similar rate of adverse reproductive outcomes. ..
- Yu G. [Paying attention to the protection of the function organ of submandibular gland]. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;52:204-205 pubmed publisher..igg4????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????. ..
- Komyakov B, Sergeev A, Fadeev V, Ismailov K, Ulyanov A, Shmelev A, et al. [Concomitant oncopathological changes in the prostate of urinary bladder cancer patients undergoing radical cystoprostateectomy]. Urologiia. 2017;:42-45 pubmed..3%) patients. We believe that the high oncological risk of prostate sparing cystectomy, despite some functional advantages, dictates the need for complete removal of the prostate in the surgical treatment of bladder cancer. ..
- Zhu H, Wang L, Li Z, Li X, Zhang X, Sun Y. Sphincter-preserving surgery for low-middle rectal cancer: Can we predict feasibility with high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging?. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7418 pubmed publisher..996 (95% CI, 0.989-1.000) and an overall accuracy of 99.1%.MR-based distance from lower edge of tumor to upper margin of the internal sphincter could be used to help the surgeons to predict the feasibility of SSS preoperatively. ..
- Faermann R, Sperber F, Schneebaum S, Barsuk D. Tumor-to-breast volume ratio as measured on MRI: a possible predictor of breast-conserving surgery versus mastectomy. Isr Med Assoc J. 2014;16:101-5 pubmed..It is recommended that MRI-determined tumor-to-breast volume ratio become part of the surgical planning protocol for patients diagnosed with breast cancer. ..
- Kim H, Kim M, Luo Y, Lee M, Song Y. Favorable factors for preserving bladder function after nerve-sparing radical hysterectomy: A protocol-based validation study. J Surg Oncol. 2017;116:492-499 pubmed publisher..IB1 disease and SqCC are favorable for preserving the pelvic autonomic nerves and subsequent bladder function without compromising survival outcomes in patients treated with NSRH. ..
- Sugrue J, Mantilla N, Abcarian A, Kochar K, Marecik S, Chaudhry V, et al. Sphincter-Sparing Anal Fistula Repair: Are We Getting Better?. Dis Colon Rectum. 2017;60:1071-1077 pubmed publisher..Sphincter-sparing repairs are commonly used to treat anal fistulas with significant muscle involvement...
- Glybochko P, Alyaev Y, Rapoport L, Grigorev N, Bezrukov E, Tsarichenko D, et al. [The role of waterjet dissection in improving erectile function and continence after nerve-sparing prostatectomy]. Urologiia. 2017;:43-49 pubmed..Waterjet dissection of NVB significantly improves patients postoperative quality of life due to early recovery of urinary continence and EF. ..
- Huddart R, Birtle A, Maynard L, Beresford M, Blazeby J, Donovan J, et al. Clinical and patient-reported outcomes of SPARE - a randomised feasibility study of selective bladder preservation versus radical cystectomy. BJU Int. 2017;120:639-650 pubmed publisher..Due to the few participants, firm conclusions about disease and toxicity outcomes cannot be drawn. ..
- Kinoshita Y, Ohkusa T, Izukura R, Chishaki A, Mibu R. Effects of chemotherapy on the health-related quality of life of Japanese lower rectal cancer patients after sphincter-saving surgery. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2017;35:468-482 pubmed publisher..Healthcare providers should be alert for adverse events in patients with lower-rectal cancer and promptly address such conditions. ..
- Arikan A, Omay O, Aydin F, Kanko M, Gur S, Dervis E, et al. Aortic valve replacement for papillary fibroelastoma. J Card Surg. 2017;32:347-354 pubmed publisher..Rarely, aortic valve replacement (AVR) is needed. We present a case requiring AVR for an aortic valve PFE and review the literature to determine the risk factors for failure of aortic valve-sparing techniques in patients with PFE. ..
- Pradhan A, Grimer R, Abudu A, Tillman R, Carter S, Jeys L, et al. Epithelioid sarcomas: How important is loco-regional control?. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1746-1752 pubmed publisher..This finding is likely due to patients with larger, deeper and more locally advanced tumors requiring amputation. However, we could not prove that immediate amputation was likely to affect overall survival. ..
- Takamoto A, Araki M, Wada K, Sugimoto M, Kobayashi Y, Sasaki K, et al. A Combination Therapy of Partial Nephrectomy and Cryoablation Achieved Good Cancer Control and Renal Function in Bilateral Synchronous Renal Cell Carcinoma. Acta Med Okayama. 2017;71:187-190 pubmed publisher..The prognosis of bilateral synchronous RCC is better than that of dialysis patients. The novel approach of combining cryoablation and partial nephrectomy can achieve good cancer control and renal function in bilateral RCC. ..
- Pinkawa M, Berneking V, Schlenter M, Krenkel B, Eble M. Quality of Life After Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer With a Hydrogel Spacer: 5-Year Results. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:374-377 pubmed publisher..Further studies with dose-escalated or re-irradiation concepts can be encouraged. ..
- Solanki A, Martin B, Korpics M, Small C, Harkenrider M, Mitin T. Bladder-Preserving Therapy Patterns of Care: A Survey of US Radiation Oncologists. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:383-387 pubmed publisher..Further research and education are needed to determine the optimal radiation therapy target, dose/fractionation, and concurrent chemotherapy regimen. ..
- Gaujoux S, Mihai R. European Society of Endocrine Surgeons (ESES) and European Network for the Study of Adrenal Tumours (ENSAT) recommendations for the surgical management of adrenocortical carcinoma. Br J Surg. 2017;104:358-376 pubmed publisher..The present evidence-based recommendations provide comprehensive advice on the optimal perioperative care for patients undergoing surgery for ACC. ..
- Pushkar D, Dyakov V, Vasilyev A, Kotenko D. [Comparison of functional outcomes after retropubic and robot-assisted radical nerve-sparing prostatectomy conducted by surgeons with total caseloads of over 1000 prostatectomies]. Urologiia. 2017;:50-53 pubmed..05). The study findings showed the superiority of RARP over RRP performed by nerve-sparing technique in restoring continence and erectile function. ..
- Yorke E, Jackson A, Kuo L, Ojo A, Panchoo K, Adusumilli P, et al. Heart Dosimetry is Correlated With Risk of Radiation Pneumonitis After Lung-Sparing Hemithoracic Pleural Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:61-69 pubmed publisher..001) and also significant with RP3+. Heart dose correlated strongly with symptomatic RP in this large cohort of MPM patients with 2 lungs treated with IMPRINT. Planning constraints to reduce future heart doses are suggested. ..
- White V, Marco D, Bolton D, Davis I, Jefford M, Hill D, et al. Trends in the surgical management of stage 1 renal cell carcinoma: findings from a population-based study. BJU Int. 2017;120 Suppl 3:6-14 pubmed publisher..Between 2009 and 2013 clinical practice for the treatment of small renal tumours in Australia has increasingly conformed to international guidelines. ..
- Malakorn S, Sammour T, Khomvilai S, Chowchankit I, Gunarasa S, Kanjanasilp P, et al. Ligation of Intersphincteric Fistula Tract for Fistula in Ano: Lessons Learned From a Decade of Experience. Dis Colon Rectum. 2017;60:1065-1070 pubmed publisher..Ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract is an effective technique for the treatment of fistula in ano, including recurrent or unhealed fistula after other procedures. See Video Abstract at http://links.lww.com/DCR/A387. ..
- Kurokawa S, Tozawa K, Umemoto Y, Yasui T, Mizuno K, Okada A, et al. Transurethral marking incision of the bladder neck: a helpful technique in robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy involving post-transurethral resection of the prostate and cancers protruding into the bladder neck. BMC Urol. 2013;13:40 pubmed publisher
- Wei J, Zhang W, Feng L, Gao W. Comparison of fertility-sparing treatments in patients with early endometrial cancer and atypical complex hyperplasia: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8034 pubmed publisher..Further randomized-controlled studies are warranted to find out a better solution. ..
- Korpics M, Block A, Martin B, Hentz C, Gaynor E, Henry E, et al. Concurrent chemotherapy is associated with improved survival in elderly patients with bladder cancer undergoing radiotherapy. Cancer. 2017;123:3524-3531 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:3524-31. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Redmond K, Hales R, Anderson Keightly H, Zhou X, Kummerlowe M, Sair H, et al. Prospective Study of Hippocampal-Sparing Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation in Limited-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:603-611 pubmed publisher..These data strongly support continued enrollment on ongoing cooperative group randomized trials. Clinical Trials registration number: NCT01797159. ..
- Faught A, Miyasaka Y, Kadoya N, Castillo R, Castillo E, Vinogradskiy Y, et al. Evaluating the Toxicity Reduction With Computed Tomographic Ventilation Functional Avoidance Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:325-333 pubmed publisher..3% for individual patients. Our work provides seminal data for determining the potential toxicity benefit from incorporating CT ventilation into thoracic treatment planning. ..
- Koga F, Yokoyama M, Fukushima H. Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a contemporary review with a special focus on bladder-sparing treatments. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2013;13:1269-79 pubmed..The authors also discuss bladder-sparing approaches for SCCUB patients, compared to those for conventional bladder urothelial carcinoma patients. ..
- Cooke A, Diaz Abele J, Hayakawa T, Buchel E, Dalke K, Lambert P. Radiation Therapy Versus No Radiation Therapy to the Neo-breast Following Skin-Sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Autologous Free Flap Reconstruction for Breast Cancer: Patient-Reported and Surgical Outcomes at 1 Year-A Mastectomy Reconstruction Outcom. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:165-172 pubmed publisher..Patient-reported results at 1Â year after surgery suggest RT following immediate autologous free flap breast reconstruction is well tolerated. ..
- Kurokawa Y, Yang H, Cho H, Ryu M, Masuzawa T, Park S, et al. Phase II study of neoadjuvant imatinib in large gastrointestinal stromal tumours of the stomach. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:25-32 pubmed publisher..Neoadjuvant imatinib treatment for 6-9 months is a promising treatment for large gastric GISTs, allowing a high R0 resection rate with acceptable toxicity. ..
- Lee Y, Kim D, Suh D, Kim J, Kim Y, Kim Y, et al. Feasibility of uterine preservation in the management of early-stage uterine adenosarcomas: a single institute experience. World J Surg Oncol. 2017;15:87 pubmed publisher..However, a detailed explanation of the risk of recurrence is necessary, especially in patients with sarcomatous overgrowth, which seems to be associated with a higher risk of recurrence. Retrospectively registered. ..
- Wang J, Wu K, Shi L, Sun Y, Li F, Xie L. In situ preservation of the inferior parathyroid gland during central neck dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1514-1522 pubmed publisher..Applying the proposed surgical concept improved the rate of inferior parathyroid gland preservation in situ and decreased the incidence of transient postoperative hypoparathyroidism. ..
- Weniger M, Andrassy J, Weig T, Grabein B, Crispin A, Rentsch M, et al. Temporary Intra-Operative Portocaval Shunts, Post-Operative Infections, and Mid-Term Survival after Cava-Sparing Liver Transplantation. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:803-809 pubmed publisher..03). Survival of patients may be improved by usage of a TPCS when gut-specific pathogens are covered by intra-operative antibiotic prophylaxis. ..
- Bailey C, Ogbuagu O, Baltodano P, Simjee U, Manahan M, Cooney D, et al. Quality-of-Life Outcomes Improve with Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy and Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:219-226 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic, III. ..
- Kneisl J, Ferguson C, Robinson M, Crimaldi A, Ahrens W, Symanowski J, et al. The effect of radiation therapy in the treatment of adult soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities: a long-term community-based cancer center experience. Cancer Med. 2017;6:516-525 pubmed publisher..Efficacy benefits of RT should be weighed against potential complications. External beam RT should be considered in patients with resected high-grade sarcomas. ..
- Dent B, Miller J, Eden D, Swistel A, Talmor M. Tumor-to-Nipple Distance as a Predictor of Nipple Involvement: Expanding the Inclusion Criteria for Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:1e-8e pubmed publisher..6 percent versus 14.3 percent; p = 0.535). A tumor-to-nipple distance as small as 1 cm, as measured by sonography or magnetic resonance imaging, should not be considered a contraindication to nipple-sparing mastectomy. Risk, II. ..
- Esaki J, Leshnower B, Binongo J, Lasanajak Y, McPherson L, Guyton R, et al. Risk Factors for Late Aortic Valve Dysfunction After the David V Valve-Sparing Root Replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1479-1487 pubmed publisher..Durable valve function can be expected; however, aortic root size 55 cm or more, bicuspid valve anatomy, and cusp repair represent independent risk factors for late aortic valve dysfunction after these procedures. ..
- Ribeiro R, Rebolho J, Tsumanuma F, Brandalize G, Trippia C, Saab K. Uterine transposition: technique and a case report. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:320-324.e1 pubmed publisher..Uterine transposition might represent a valid option for fertility preservation in women who require pelvic radiotherapy and want to bear children. However, studies that assess its viability, effectiveness, and safety are required. ..
- Karimi Zarchi M, Forat Yazdi M, Vafaeenasab M, Nakhaie Moghadam M, Miratashi Yazdi A, Teimoori S, et al. Evaluation of the effect of GnRH agonist on menstrual reverse in breast cancer cases treated with cyclophosphamide. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2014;35:59-61 pubmed..001). GnRH agonists significantly improve ovarian function andfertility. They also lead to spontaneous menstrual reverse in negative ER/PR breast cancer cases. ..
- Pereira N, Hubschmann A, Lekovich J, Schattman G, Rosenwaks Z. ExÂ vivo retrieval and cryopreservation of oocytes from oophorectomized specimens for fertility preservation in a BRCA1 mutation carrier with ovarian cancer. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:357-360 pubmed publisher..By avoiding follicular puncture within the pelvic cavity, it minimizes the risk of malignant cell spillage and cancer upstaging. ..
- Nevens D, Nuyts S. Can sparing of the superficial contralateral parotid lobe reduce xerostomia following radiotherapy for head and neck cancer?. Br J Radiol. 2017;90:20170596 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study is to see whether sparing the superficial contralateral parotid lobe can help limiting xerostomia following radiotherapy for head and neck cancer...
- Orcutt S, O Donoghue C, Smith P, Laronga C. Expanding Eligibility Criteria for Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy. South Med J. 2017;110:654-659 pubmed publisher..As the use of nipple-sparing mastectomy increases, it is important to continually assess the eligibility of patients for this technique. ..
- Ghavami Y, Haidar Y, Maducdoc M, Tjoa T, Moshtaghi O, Lin H, et al. Tympanic Membrane and Ossicular-Sparing Modified Lateral Temporal Bone Resection. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;157:530-532 pubmed publisher..In the short term, oncologic results of mLTBR appear equivalent to the LTBR. However, long-term follow-up is needed for >5-year outcomes. ..
- Lampé R, Poka R. [Comparison of laparoscopic and open radical hysterectomies in the surgical treatment of cervical cancer]. Orv Hetil. 2017;158:1403-1409 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic way may have a priority because of the general advantages of laparoscopic surgery in the surgical treatment of early stage cervical cancer. Orv Hetil. 2017; 158(36): 1403-1409. ..
- Gaudino M, Di Franco A, Weltert L, Benedetto U, Lau C, Gambardella I, et al. The role of neo-sinus reconstruction in aortic valve-sparing surgery. J Card Surg. 2017;32:328-333 pubmed publisher..Need for aortic valve repair was the only independent predictor of recurrent AI, whereas a bicuspid aortic valve was a protective factor. Re-creation of the SV does not affect short-term outcomes following VSO. ..