high frequency jet ventilation
Summary: Respiratory support system used primarily with rates of about 100 to 200/min with volumes of from about one to three times predicted anatomic dead space. Used to treat respiratory failure and maintain ventilation under severe circumstances.
- Knüttgen D, Zeidler D, Vorweg M, Doehn M. [Unilateral high-frequency jet ventilation supporting one-lung ventilation during thoracic surgical procedures]. Anaesthesist. 2001;50:585-9 pubmed..of the non-dependent (right) side was performed simultaneously in both patients by means of high frequency jet ventilation (HFJV)...
- Romand J, Treggiari Venzi M, Bichel T, Suter P, Pinsky M. Hemodynamic effects of synchronized high-frequency jet ventilation compared with low-frequency intermittent positive-pressure ventilation after myocardial revascularization. Anesthesiology. 2000;92:24-30 pubmed..These findings contrast with the beneficial effects of sync-HFJV, resulting in marked hypocapnia, on cardiac performance observed in patients with terminal left-ventricular failure. ..
- Lin C, Li J, Hsu J, Yang C. Combined conventional and jet ventilation in airway management in tracheal tumor. Chang Gung Med J. 2001;24:455-9 pubmed..Because we could not insert the jet catheter past the mass, high frequency jet ventilation to ventilate the dependent lung could not be applied...
- Miyawaki J, Shono S, Katori K, Sakuragi T, Higa K. Subglottic jet ventilation for pediatric microlaryngosurgery: a case report. J Clin Anesth. 2003;15:363-5 pubmed..It was passed through the light channel of the suspension laryngoscope and firmly affixed to it. There was no hypoxia or barotrauma to the lungs during the surgery. The postoperative course was uneventful. ..
- Abe K, Oka J, Takahashi H, Funatsu T, Fukuda H, Miyamoto Y. Effect of high-frequency jet ventilation on oxygenation during one-lung ventilation in patients undergoing thoracic aneurysm surgery. J Anesth. 2006;20:1-5 pubmed..6% +/- 8.5% (T4) in the CPAP group (P < 0.05). The arterial saturation of oxygen (Sa(O) (2)) increased significantly after the application of either HFJV or CPAP (P < 0.05). Both HFJV and CPAP can improve oxygenation during OLV. ..
- Atkins J, Mirza N, Mandel J. Case report: respiratory inductance plethysmography as a monitor of ventilation during laser ablation and balloon dilatation of subglottic tracheal stenosis. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2009;71:289-91 pubmed publisher..RIP may be an important safety monitor during jet ventilation for patients with obstructive tracheal lesions to lessen the risk of both barotrauma and hypoventilation. RIP remains under active study by our group for this purpose. ..
- Guo G, Li Y, Liu Z, Fan K, Zhao Y, Liao L, et al. [Respiratory support with high frequency jet ventilation in severely burned patients with inhalation injury during early postburn stage]. Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi. 2002;18:155-8 pubmedTo observe the effects of respiratory support with high frequency jet ventilation (HFJV) in severely burned patients with inhalation injury during early postburn stage. Twenty severely burned patients with TBSA of 79.6 +/- 29...
- Biro P, Spahn D, Pfammatter T. High-frequency jet ventilation for minimizing breathing-related liver motion during percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of multiple hepatic tumours. Br J Anaesth. 2009;102:650-3 pubmed publisher..The technical and anaesthetic considerations are discussed, and a specific limitation of transcutaneous PCO(2) measurement during activation of the ablation is reported for the first time. ..
- Kraincuk P, Körmöczi G, Prokop M, Ihra G, Aloy A. Alveolar recruitment of atelectasis under combined high-frequency jet ventilation: a computed tomography study. Intensive Care Med. 2003;29:1265-72 pubmed..It offers an effective and advantageous alternative to conventional ventilation for ventilatory management of respiratory insufficient patients. ..
- Arabi Y, Kumar A, Wood K, Flaten A. The feasibility of nitric oxide delivery with high frequency jet ventilation. Respirology. 2005;10:673-7 pubmed..and severe barotrauma during conventional mechanical ventilation, the patient was switched to high frequency jet ventilation (HFJV) as a salvage therapy. Her refractory hypoxaemia improved temporarily but worsened again...
- Boisson Bertrand D. [Meeting report of the Anesthesia-Resuscitation in ORL Club (Carorl)]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2002;21:f155-6 pubmed
- Datta D, McNamee M. Use of activated protein C (drotrecogin alfa) in a patient with sepsis and respiratory failure on ultra high frequency jet ventilation. Conn Med. 2003;67:11-2 pubmed..We describe a patient with sepsis and respiratory failure on Ultra High Frequency Jet Ventilator, who was started on drotrecogin alfa, without the development of any significant bleeding. ..
- Guo G, Qian K, Zhu F, Xiong L, Wang L, Li G, et al. [The influence of high frequency partial liquid ventilation on the cardiopulmonary function in dogs with inhalation injury]. Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi. 2002;18:346-9 pubmed..Compared with simple HFJV, high frequency partial liquid ventilation seemed to be beneficial to the oxygenation after inhalation injury and to be no influence on the hemodynamics. ..
- Salah N, Mhuircheartaigh R, Hayes N, McCaul C. A comparison of four techniques of emergency transcricoid oxygenation in a manikin. Anesth Analg. 2010;110:1083-5 pubmed publisher..There were no differences between the other groups at any time. Time to ventilation improved with repetition in all groups. Skills were retained at 1 month...
- Hamaekers A, Gotz T, Borg P, Enk D. Achieving an adequate minute volume through a 2 mm transtracheal catheter in simulated upper airway obstruction using a modified industrial ejector. Br J Anaesth. 2010;104:382-6 pubmed publisher..6 litre min(-1) could be achieved through a 2 mm ID TTC in a simulated obstructed airway. The principle of ejector-based EVA seems promising and deserves further evaluation. ..
- Zeidan A. Total airway obstruction during tracheostomy in a patient with multiple tracheal stenosis--A case report. Middle East J Anaesthesiol. 2006;18:911-3 pubmed
- Higgs A, Vijayanand P. Prophylactic percutaneous transtracheal catheterisation. Anaesthesia. 2005;60:1245-6 pubmed
- Papoff P, Caresta E, Manganaro M, Cicchetti R, Mancuso M, Ferro V, et al. [Ventilatory care]. Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:133-5 pubmed..g., CPAP, HFOV, NIV, permissive hypercapnia, surfattant), of which neonatologists are particularly expert. ..
- Chong C, Wang T, Chang H. Percutaneous transtracheal ventilation without a jet ventilator. Am J Emerg Med. 2003;21:507-8 pubmed
- Hautmann H, Gamarra F, Henke M, Diehm S, Huber R. High frequency jet ventilation in interventional fiberoptic bronchoscopy. Anesth Analg. 2000;90:1436-40 pubmedb>High frequency jet ventilation (HFJV) is a well accepted method for securing ventilation in rigid and interventional bronchoscopy...
- Cneude F, Deliège R, Barbier C, Durand Joly I, Bourlet A, Sonna M, et al. [Septic shock due to congenital disseminated toxoplasmosis?]. Arch Pediatr. 2003;10:326-8 pubmed..The patient died early despite therapy. Septic shock is unusual in congenital toxoplasmosis, although it has been described in immunocompromised patients, notably in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. ..
- Barreca M, Maronian N, Bowdle T, Sinanan M. Combined use of high-frequency jet ventilation and abdominal lift for laparoscopic cholecystectomy in a patient with glottic impairment. Surg Endosc. 2003;17:658 pubmed..Using these techniques, a laparoscopic cholecystectomy was performed successfully without endotracheal intubation or the need for a tracheostomy. ..
- Jonson B, Lachmann B. Setting and monitoring of high-frequency jet ventilation in severe respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care Med. 1989;17:1020-4 pubmed..This study illustrates that HFJV is efficient in RDS; VE and external PEEP strongly influence oxygenation and may be used to regulate this factor, and frequency affects CO2 elimination, thus suggesting a method of PaCO2 control...
- Abdulla W, Netter U, Abdulla S, Isaak I. Tracheostomy under jet-ventilation--an alternative approach to ventilating patients undergoing surgically created or percutaneous dilational tracheostomy. Middle East J Anaesthesiol. 2008;19:803-18 pubmed..Under these circumstances, PDT is an acceptable approach to inserting a tracheostomy tube under jet-ventilation via bronchoscope, particularly for the management of difficult airway in critically ill patients. ..
- Perkins P. High-frequency jet ventilation during radiofrequency ablation: a case report. AANA J. 2008;76:209-12 pubmed..This event, its management, and the following discussion on the mechanics of HFJV and its use in radiofrequency ablation procedures make this case an educational value to all anesthesia providers. ..
- Lucangelo U, Zin W. High-frequency ventilation is/is not the optimal physiological approach to ventilate ARDS patients. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;104:1238-9 pubmed
- Mandel J, Weller G, Chennupati S, Mirza N. Transglottic high frequency jet ventilation for management of laryngeal fracture associated with air bag deployment injury. J Clin Anesth. 2008;20:369-371 pubmed publisher..The advantages of this technique in the management of patients who are not good candidates for awake tracheostomy are discussed. ..
- Green L. Can't intubate, can't ventilate! A survey of knowledge and skills in a large teaching hospital. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2009;26:480-3 pubmed..All participants received a demonstration of equipment, were shown the location and given the opportunity to rehearse a 'can't intubate, can't ventilate' drill. ..
- Jaquet Y, Monnier P, van Melle G, Ravussin P, Spahn D, Chollet Rivier M. Complications of different ventilation strategies in endoscopic laryngeal surgery: a 10-year review. Anesthesiology. 2006;104:52-9 pubmed..The anesthetist's vigilance in clinically detecting and preventing outflow airway obstruction remains the best prevention of barotrauma during subglottic jet ventilation. ..
- Ezri T, Konichezky S, Geva D, Warters R, Szmuk P, Hagberg C. Difficult airway management patterns among attending anaesthetists practising in Israel. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2003;20:619-23 pubmed..There is a high degree of adherence by Israeli anaesthetists to the American Society of Anesthesiologists' difficult airway algorithm. Current airway management practice patterns in Israel are presented. ..
- Govindarajan R, Mathur A, Aransohn J, Saweris W, Ghosh B, Sathyamoorthy M. Anesthetic management of bronchopleurocutaneous fistula--an alternate approach. Can J Anaesth. 2005;52:993 pubmed
- Atkins J, Mandel J, Weinstein G, Mirza N. A pilot study of respiratory inductance plethysmography as a safe, noninvasive detector of jet ventilation under general anesthesia. Anesth Analg. 2010;111:1168-75 pubmed publisher..This pilot study demonstrates the feasibility of respiratory inductance plethysmography as a monitor for use during jet ventilation. ..
- Tsai F, Wang K, Chen L, Fan S. Alteration of capnogram as the first sign of pneumothorax in an infant who underwent bronchoscopy with jet ventilation. Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan. 2009;47:92-4 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we strongly recommend that continuous capnographic surveillance be applied during bronchoscopy with jet ventilation. ..
- Ikegaki J, Katoh H. A single lobal inflation technique using bronchofiberoptic jet ventilation during video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for bullae. Anesth Analg. 2002;95:1462 pubmed
- Fritz P, Kraus H, Mühlnickel W, Sassmann V, Hering W, Strauch K. High-frequency jet ventilation for complete target immobilization and reduction of planning target volume in stereotactic high single-dose irradiation of stage I non-small cell lung cancer and lung metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;78:136-42 pubmed publisher..Tentative planning facilitated the selection of patients who could better undergo radiation in respiratory standstill, both with greater accuracy and lung protection. ..
- Larsen D, Berg J, Illum P. [Laryngomalacia treated with CO2 laser]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2010;172:2043-4 pubmed..The patient was observed at the hospital for one week after surgery and discharged. Four weeks after treatment, the patient was free of airway obstruction and feeding problems. ..
- Koga H, Shitomi R, Shingu C, Noguchi T. [New technique for identification of the pulmonary segment using high frequency jet ventilation and bronchofiberscopy]. Masui. 2008;57:895-6 pubmedWe report a simple and quick technique for the identification of the pulmonary segment using high frequency jet ventilation and bronchofiberscopy...
- Eltzschig H, Palmer G, Brustowicz R. Colobronchial fistula in a pediatric patient: diagnostic value of isolated single-lung ventilation and intraoperative use of high frequency oscillatory ventilation. Anesth Analg. 2002;95:621-3, table of contents pubmed..In addition, the intraoperative use of high frequency oscillatory ventilation in combination with conventional ventilation of the nonoperative side is described. ..
- Biro P, Eyrich G, Rohling R. The efficiency of CO2 elimination during high-frequency jet ventilation for laryngeal microsurgery. Anesth Analg. 1998;87:180-4 pubmed..The individual assessment of ECCO2 enables one to find adequate ventilator settings, resulting in lower airway pressure and less cooling and drying of the tracheobronchial mucosa. ..
- Schmalisch G, Schmidt M, Proquitte H, Foitzik B, Rudiger M, Wauer R. Measurement of changes in respiratory mechanics during partial liquid ventilation using jet pulses. Crit Care Med. 2003;31:1435-41 pubmed
- Ferguson N, Slutsky A. Point: High-frequency ventilation is the optimal physiological approach to ventilate ARDS patients. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;104:1230-1 pubmed
- Yildiz Y, Preussler N, Schreiber T, Hueter L, Gaser E, Schubert H, et al. Percutaneous transtracheal emergency ventilation during respiratory arrest: comparison of the oxygen flow modulator with a hand-triggered emergency jet injector in an animal model. Am J Emerg Med. 2006;24:455-9 pubmed..With both devices, pulmonary resuscitation was successful. Whereas PaO2 differed not significantly between the two devices, PaCO2 was lower during percutaneous transtracheal ventilation with the hand-triggered emergency jet injector. ..
- Naghibi K, Hashemi S, Sajedi P. Anaesthetic management of tracheobronchial rupture following blunt chest trauma. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2003;47:901-3 pubmed..The anaesthetic management of tracheobronchial repair is discussed. ..
- Levitan R, Kush S, Hollander J. Devices for difficult airway management in academic emergency departments: results of a national survey. Ann Emerg Med. 1999;33:694-8 pubmed..Only half of residency program directors had any experience with these devices, and among those that reported any experience, they are used rarely. ..
- Platt D, Swanton D, Blackney D. Inhaled nitric oxide (iNO) delivery with high-frequency jet ventilation (HFJV). J Perinatol. 2003;23:387-91 pubmed..Nitric oxide therapy can be reliably administered during HFJV with the INOvent delivery system when NO is injected exclusively via the HFJV circuit. ..
- Gaunt A, Jaggar S, Morgan C. End-tidal capnography in rigid bronchoscopy. Anaesthesia. 2002;57:1039-40 pubmed
- Stix M, Borromeo C, Ata S, Teague P. A modified intubating laryngeal mask for endotracheal tube exchange. Anesth Analg. 2000;91:1021-3, table of contents pubmed..This can be a risky procedure. This report describes a technique for changing an endotracheal tube by using a modified "intubating laryngeal mask" (a commonly used airway and breathing device) and a fiberoptic bronchoscope. ..
- Friedlich P, Subramanian N, Sebald M, Noori S, Seri I. Use of high-frequency jet ventilation in neonates with hypoxemia refractory to high-frequency oscillatory ventilation. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2003;13:398-402 pubmed..These findings suggest that not all high-frequency ventilatory devices yield the same clinical results. ..
- Hano K, Nakamura A, Yamaguchi M, Nakahara T. [Relationship between driving pressure and tidal volume during high frequency jet ventilation for the tracheal resection]. Masui. 2004;53:888-92 pubmedb>High frequency jet ventilation (HFJV) is a method of ventilation for tracheal resection because it provides a good surgical field and decreases surgical complications...
- Gupta V, Grayck E, Cheifetz I. Heliox administration during high-frequency jet ventilation augments carbon dioxide clearance. Respir Care. 2004;49:1038-44 pubmed..Improvements in gas exchange occurred rapidly. The combination of heliox and high frequency jet ventilation resulted in improved carbon dioxide clearance, respiratory stabilization, and the ability to wean ..