vagus nerve stimulation
Summary: An adjunctive treatment for PARTIAL EPILEPSY and refractory DEPRESSION that delivers electrical impulses to the brain via the VAGUS NERVE. A battery implanted under the skin supplies the energy.
- Bonaz B, Sinniger V, Pellissier S. Vagus nerve stimulation: a new promising therapeutic tool in inflammatory bowel disease. J Intern Med. 2017;282:46-63 pubmed publisher..tone and plasma TNFα level in patients with CD, and have reported, for the first time, that chronic vagus nerve stimulation has anti-inflammatory properties in a rat model of colitis and in a pilot study performed in seven ..
- Giordano F, Zicca A, Barba C, Guerrini R, Genitori L. Vagus nerve stimulation: Surgical technique of implantation and revision and related morbidity. Epilepsia. 2017;58 Suppl 1:85-90 pubmed publisherIndications for vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) therapy include focal, multifocal epilepsy, drop attacks (tonic/atonic seizures), Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC)-related multifocal epilepsy, and unsuccessful ..
- Sundman E, Olofsson P. Neural control of the immune system. Adv Physiol Educ. 2014;38:135-9 pubmed..production and alleviates experimental shock and autoimmune disease, and recent data have suggested that vagus nerve stimulation can improve symptoms in human rheumatoid arthritis...
- Beaumont E, Campbell R, Andresen M, Scofield S, Singh K, Libbus I, et al. Cervical vagus nerve stimulation augments spontaneous discharge in second- and higher-order sensory neurons in the rat nucleus of the solitary tract. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H354-H367 pubmed publisherb>Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) currently treats patients with drug-resistant epilepsy, depression, and heart failure...
- Bayasgalan B, Matsuhashi M, Fumuro T, Nohira H, Nakano N, Iida K, et al. We could predict good responders to vagus nerve stimulation: A surrogate marker by slow cortical potential shift. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:1583-1589 pubmed publisherWe investigated whether vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) induces a positive shift of slow cortical potentials (SCPs) in patients with >50% seizure reduction (responders) but not in non-responders...