Summary: Treatment designed to help prevent a relapse of a disease following the successful primary treatments (INDUCTION CHEMOTHERAPY and CONSOLIDATION CHEMOTHERAPY) with a long-term low-dose drug therapy.
- Godet C, Couturaud F, Ragot S, Laurent F, Brun A, Bergeron A, et al. [Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis: Evaluation of a maintenance therapy with nebulized Ambisome®]. Rev Mal Respir. 2017;34:581-587 pubmed publisher..The results will guide practitioners in the management of ABPA treatments and help to define the place of aerosols of LAmB on "evidence base medicine" criteria. ..
- Martin P, Ghione P, Dreyling M. Mantle cell lymphoma - Current standards of care and future directions. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017;58:51-60 pubmed publisher..Indeed, there has never been a time that management of MCL was as complicated while the promise for real improvements in outcomes is so great. ..
- Benson A, Arnoletti J, Bekaii Saab T, Chan E, Chen Y, Choti M, et al. Colon cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2011;9:1238-90 pubmed
- Pujade Lauraine E, Ledermann J, Selle F, Gebski V, Penson R, Oza A, et al. Olaparib tablets as maintenance therapy in patients with platinum-sensitive, relapsed ovarian cancer and a BRCA1/2 mutation (SOLO2/ENGOT-Ov21): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1274-1284 pubmed publisher..Apart from anaemia, toxicities with olaparib were low grade and manageable. AstraZeneca. ..
- Weinblatt M, Bingham C, Burmester G, Bykerk V, Furst D, Mariette X, et al. A Phase III Study Evaluating Continuation, Tapering, and Withdrawal of Certolizumab Pegol After One Year of Therapy in Patients With Early Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:1937-1948 pubmed publisher..The study failed to meet its primary end point. However, there were no clinically meaningful differences between the standard and reduced frequency doses of CZP plus MTX; both controlled RA more effectively than stopping CZP. ..
- García Donas J, Font A, Pérez Valderrama B, Virizuela J, Climent M, Hernando Polo S, et al. Maintenance therapy with vinflunine plus best supportive care versus best supportive care alone in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma with a response after first-line chemotherapy (MAJA; SOGUG 2011/02): a multicentre, randomised, controlled,. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:672-681 pubmed publisher..Vinflunine maintenance had an acceptable safety profile. Further studies of the role of vinflunine are warranted. Pierre-Fabre Médicament. ..
- de Joode A, Sanders J, PuÃ©chal X, Guillevin L, Hiemstra T, Flossmann O, et al. Long term azathioprine maintenance therapy in ANCA-associated vasculitis: combined results of long-term follow-up data. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1894-1901 pubmed publisher..ANCA specificity has more effect on relapse-free survival than duration of maintenance therapy and should be used to tailor therapy individually. ..
- Sengsayadeth S, Malard F, Savani B, Garderet L, Mohty M. Posttransplant maintenance therapy in multiple myeloma: the changing landscape. Blood Cancer J. 2017;7:e545 pubmed publisher..Herein we discuss the data currently available to support the use of maintenance therapy in patients after ASCT as well as the newer available agents that may be a part of its changing landscape in the years to come...
- Thieblemont C, Tilly H, Gomes da Silva M, Casasnovas R, Fruchart C, Morschhauser F, et al. Lenalidomide Maintenance Compared With Placebo in Responding Elderly Patients With Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Treated With First-Line Rituximab Plus Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, and Prednisone. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:2473-2481 pubmed publisher..Conclusion Lenalidomide maintenance for 24 months after obtaining a CR or PR to R-CHOP significantly prolonged PFS in elderly patients with DLBCL. ..
- Zaza G, Dalla Gassa A, Felis G, Granata S, Torriani S, Lupo A. Impact of maintenance immunosuppressive therapy on the fecal microbiome of renal transplant recipients: Comparison between an everolimus- and a standard tacrolimus-based regimen. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178228 pubmed publisher..However, multicenter studies including healthy controls should be undertaken to better address this objective. ..
- Attal M, Lauwers Cances V, Hulin C, Leleu X, Caillot D, Escoffre M, et al. Lenalidomide, Bortezomib, and Dexamethasone with Transplantation for Myeloma. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:1311-1320 pubmed publisher..Supported by Celgene and others; IFM 2009 Study ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01191060 .). ..
- Rudin S, Marable M, Huang R. The Promise of Pharmacogenomics in Reducing Toxicity During Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Maintenance Treatment. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2017;15:82-93 pubmed publisher..It is clear that pharmacogenomics should be incorporated as a dosage-calibrating tool in pediatric ALL treatment in order to predict and minimize the occurrence of serious toxicities for these patients. ..
- Karras A, Pagnoux C, Haubitz M, Groot K, Puechal X, Tervaert J, et al. Randomised controlled trial of prolonged treatment in the remission phase of ANCA-associated vasculitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1662-1668 pubmed publisher..Prolonged remission maintenance therapy with azathioprine/prednisolone, beyond 24 months after diagnosis reduces relapse risk out to 48 months and improves renal survival in AAV. ISRCTN13739474. ..
- ..This article summarizes the milestones in the development of niraparib leading to its first global approval for the maintenance treatment of adult patients with recurrent epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube or primary peritoneal cancer. ..
- Gervasini G, de Murillo S, Jimenez M, de la Maya M, Vagace J. Dihydrofolate Reductase Genetic Polymorphisms Affect Methotrexate Dose Requirements in Pediatric Patients With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on Maintenance Therapy. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2017;39:589-595 pubmed publisher..04). Overall, our findings suggest that the identification of DHFR polymorphisms in the promoter region of the gene may be helpful in tailoring MTX doses for ALL pediatric patients on maintenance therapy. ..
- Deng D, Zhang P, Guo Y, Lim T. A randomised double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of allogeneic umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stem cell for lupus nephritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1436-1439 pubmed publisher..hUC-MSC has no apparent additional effect over and above standard immunosuppression. NCT01539902; Results. ..
- Toksvang L, De Pietri S, Nielsen S, Nersting J, Albertsen B, Wehner P, et al. Hepatic sinusoidal obstruction syndrome during maintenance therapy of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia is associated with continuous asparaginase therapy and mercaptopurine metabolites. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..05-1.14). Six-week PEG-asparaginase intervals significantly reduced SOS-specific hazards (P < 0.01). PEG-asparaginase increases cytotoxic 6MP metabolite levels and risk of SOS, potentially interacting with other chemotherapy pulses. ..
- McCarthy P, Holstein S, Petrucci M, Richardson P, Hulin C, Tosi P, et al. Lenalidomide Maintenance After Autologous Stem-Cell Transplantation in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma: A Meta-Analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:3279-3289 pubmed publisher..Conclusion This meta-analysis demonstrates a significant OS benefit and confirms the PFS benefit with lenalidomide maintenance after ASCT in patients with NDMM when compared with placebo or observation. ..
- Battipaglia G, Ruggeri A, Massoud R, El Cheikh J, Jestin M, Antar A, et al. Efficacy and feasibility of sorafenib as a maintenance agent after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for Fms-like tyrosine kinase 3-mutated acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer. 2017;123:2867-2874 pubmed publisher..Further analysis is needed to evaluate the immunomodulating role of sorafenib after HSCT. The data from the current support prospective controlled trials of sorafenib after HSCT. Cancer 2017;123:2867-74. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Ma J, Yang Q, Ling Y. Rechallenge and maintenance therapy using cetuximab and chemotherapy administered to a patient with metastatic colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:132 pubmed publisher..Rechallenge and maintenance therapy with cetuximab-based chemotherapy were relatively effective for managing a female patient with WT KRAS. Optimization of this strategy requires further in-depth investigations of more patients. ..
- Ciuleanu T, Ahmed S, Kim J, Mezger J, Park K, Thomas M, et al. Randomised Phase 2 study of maintenance linsitinib (OSI-906) in combination with erlotinib compared with placebo plus erlotinib after platinum-based chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:757-766 pubmed publisher..This highlights the need for robust biomarkers of response for combinations that incorporate IGFR-targeted therapies in maintenance or other therapeutic settings. ..
- Chisholm J, Merks J, Casanova M, Bisogno G, Orbach D, Gentet J, et al. Open-label, multicentre, randomised, phase II study of the EpSSG and the ITCC evaluating the addition of bevacizumab to chemotherapy in childhood and adolescent patients with metastatic soft tissue sarcoma (the BERNIE study). Eur J Cancer. 2017;83:177-184 pubmed publisher..four cycles of IVADo + five cycles of IVA, ±bevacizumab), surgery and/or radiotherapy, followed by maintenance chemotherapy (12 cycles of low-dose cyclophosphamide + vinorelbine, ±bevacizumab)...
- Greuter T, Bussmann C, Safroneeva E, Schoepfer A, Biedermann L, Vavricka S, et al. Long-Term Treatment of Eosinophilic Esophagitis With Swallowed Topical Corticosteroids: Development and Evaluation of a Therapeutic Concept. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1527-1535 pubmed publisher..Female gender is the only prognostic factor for attainment of such remission. After treatment cessation, the majority experienced a clinical relapse. ..
- Sandborn W, Su C, Sands B, D Haens G, Vermeire S, Schreiber S, et al. Tofacitinib as Induction and Maintenance Therapy for Ulcerative Colitis. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:1723-1736 pubmed publisher..Funded by Pfizer; OCTAVE Induction 1, OCTAVE Induction 2, and OCTAVE Sustain ClinicalTrials.gov numbers, NCT01465763 , NCT01458951 , and NCT01458574 , respectively.). ..
- Khan N, Moskowitz A. Where Do the New Drugs Fit in for Relapsed/Refractory Hodgkin Lymphoma?. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2017;12:227-233 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss our management of rel/ref HL, with particular focus on how BV, nivolumab, and pembrolizumab are currently incorporated into the treatment paradigms for rel/ref HL. ..
- Nagahori M, Kochi S, Hanai H, Yamamoto T, Nakamura S, Omuro S, et al. Real life results in using 5-ASA for maintaining mild to moderate UC patients in Japan, a multi-center study, OPTIMUM Study. BMC Gastroenterol. 2017;17:47 pubmed publisher..UMIN 000008563 (the date of registration: July 30, 2012), ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01654783 (the date of registration: July 30, 2012). ..
- Sudo K, Hara R, Nakamura K, Kita E, Tsujimoto A, Yamaguchi T. Phase II study of induction gemcitabine and S-1 followed by chemoradiotherapy and systemic chemotherapy using S-1 for locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2017;80:195-202 pubmed publisher..4 Gy in 28 fractions). Maintenance chemotherapy with S-1 was started 1-4 weeks after CRT until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity was observed...
- Stark D, Cook A, Brown J, Brundage M, Embleton A, Kaplan R, et al. Quality of life with cediranib in relapsed ovarian cancer: The ICON6 phase 3 randomized clinical trial. Cancer. 2017;123:2752-2761 pubmed publisher..This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. ..
- Ibrahim F, Lorente Cánovas B, Doré C, Bosworth A, Ma M, Galloway J, et al. Optimizing treatment with tumour necrosis factor inhibitors in rheumatoid arthritis-a proof of principle and exploratory trial: is dose tapering practical in good responders?. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:2004-2014 pubmed publisher..The aim of the Optimizing Treatment with Tumour Necrosis Factor Inhibitors in Rheumatoid Arthritis trial was to evaluate whether tapering TNFi doses causes loss of clinical response...