Genomes and Genes
Summary: The instillation or other administration of drugs into the bladder, usually to treat local disease, including neoplasms.
- Kuo H, Liu H, Yang W. Therapeutic effect of multiple resiniferatoxin intravesical instillations in patients with refractory detrusor overactivity: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. J Urol. 2006;176:641-5 pubmed..The therapeutic effect of resiniferatoxin was significantly superior to that of placebo. ..
- De Boer E, Rooijakkers S, Schamhart D, Kurth K. Cytokine gene expression in a mouse model: the first instillations with viable bacillus Calmette-Guerin determine the succeeding Th1 response. J Urol. 2003;170:2004-8 pubmed..Whether such an approach could decrease BCG therapy toxicity, while maintaining antitumor efficacy, remains to be further investigated in patients. ..
- Kohjimoto Y, Iba A, Shintani Y, Uekado Y, Shinka T. [Treatment of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin refractory superficial bladder cancer: further intravesical therapy]. Hinyokika Kiyo. 2005;51:533-8 pubmed..Two patients achieved CR and maintained a tumor-free status beyond 14 months, suggesting that the intravesical gemcitabine is a promising salvage therapy for BCG-refractory superficial bladder cancer. ..
- Falkensammer C, Gozzi C, Hager M, Maier H, Bartsch G, Holtl L, et al. Late occurrence of bilateral tuberculous-like epididymo-orchitis after intravesical bacille Calmette-Guérin therapy for superficial bladder carcinoma. Urology. 2005;65:175 pubmed..This case demonstrates the late adverse effects that can occur after intravesical BCG therapy, which in our patient ended in surgical removal of both gonads...
- van der Meijden A, Brausi M, Zambon V, Kirkels W, de Balincourt C, Sylvester R. Intravesical instillation of epirubicin, bacillus Calmette-Guerin and bacillus Calmette-Guerin plus isoniazid for intermediate and high risk Ta, T1 papillary carcinoma of the bladder: a European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer genit. J Urol. 2001;166:476-81 pubmed..Further followup is required before long-term conclusions can be made for progression-to-muscle invasive disease and survival. ..
- Gontero P, Casetta G, Maso G, Sogni F, Pretti G, Zitella A, et al. Phase II study to investigate the ablative efficacy of intravesical administration of gemcitabine in intermediate-risk superficial bladder cancer (SBC). Eur Urol. 2004;46:339-43 pubmed..It is worth testing the drug in phase III trials to assess for durability of response. ..
- Elmer A, Bermes U, Drath L, Büscher E, Viertel A. [Sepsis and multiple organ failure after BCG-instillation for bladder cancer]. Internist (Berl). 2004;45:935-9 pubmed..The patient developed severe sepsis and suffered from multiple organ failure. Despite partial improvement, the course was complicated by intracranial sinus thrombosis, and the patient died two month after admission. ..
- Laufer M, Ramalingam S, Schoenberg M, Haisfield Wolf M, Zuhowski E, Trueheart I, et al. Intravesical gemcitabine therapy for superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a phase I and pharmacokinetic study. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:697-703 pubmed..No dFdU was measured in voided urine. Intravesical gemcitabine, at doses up to 2 g/wk, is well tolerated, is associated with minimal systemic absorption, and has promising efficacy in treatment of superficial bladder cancer. ..
- Saint F, Salomon L, Quintela R, Cicco A, Hoznek A, Abbou C, et al. Do prognostic parameters of remission versus relapse after Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) immunotherapy exist?. analysis of a quarter century of literature. Eur Urol. 2003;43:351-60; discussion 360-1 pubmed..Sophisticated individual therapeutic approaches (SITA) appear to be the most promising. Nomograms based on host, tumor and immunological characteristics may help with clinical decision-making and with rationalized BCG schedule design. ..
- Atkins H, Davies B, Kirby J, Kelly J. Polarisation of a T-helper cell immune response by activation of dendritic cells with CpG-containing oligonucleotides: a potential therapeutic regime for bladder cancer immunotherapy. Br J Cancer. 2003;89:2312-9 pubmed..Given the toxicity of LPS, our data suggest that CpG-oligonucleotides may be beneficial for intravesical therapy of bladder cancer. ..
- Saban M, Saban R, Hammond T, Haak Frendscho M, Steinberg H, Tengowski M, et al. LPS-sensory peptide communication in experimental cystitis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2002;282:F202-10 pubmed..These findings suggest that LPS amplifies neurogenic inflammation, thereby playing a role in the pathogenesis of neurogenic cystitis. ..
- Silva C, Silva J, Ribeiro M, Avelino A, Cruz F. Urodynamic effect of intravesical resiniferatoxin in patients with neurogenic detrusor overactivity of spinal origin: results of a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial. Eur Urol. 2005;48:650-5 pubmed..Intravesical RTX is effective in increasing bladder capacity in spinal NDO patients. Such increment might contribute to decrease urinary frequency and incontinence of these patients. ..
- Campodonico F, Canepa G, Capponi G, Bozzo L, Maffezzini M. Intravesical gemcitabine in recurrent superficial bladder carcinoma: preliminary results on ablative efficacy and tolerability. Anticancer Res. 2005;25:2381-4 pubmed..Intravesical gemcitabine administered at 40 mg/mL showed the capability of ablating small volume, superficial TCC in 50% of the population under study, with acceptable tolerability. ..
- Shapiro A, Vakar F, Kamat A. Diffuse granulomatous mesenteric disease caused by intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin instillation masquerading as peritoneal carcinomatosis. Urol Oncol. 2005;23:352-3 pubmed..This patient was thought to have peritoneal carcinomatosis. One must be cognizant of the possibility when evaluating patients with similar findings and images after bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy. ..
- Bartoletti R, Cai T, Gacci M, Giubilei G, Viggiani F, Santelli G, et al. Intravesical gemcitabine therapy for superficial transitional cell carcinoma: results of a Phase II prospective multicenter study. Urology. 2005;66:726-31 pubmed..The treatment schedule proposed resulted in high patient compliance, and the results can be compared with the results of studies using other intravesical treatments. ..
- Colombo R, Da Pozzo L, Salonia A, Rigatti P, Leib Z, Baniel J, et al. Multicentric study comparing intravesical chemotherapy alone and with local microwave hyperthermia for prophylaxis of recurrence of superficial transitional cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:4270-6 pubmed
- Chuang Y, Fraser M, Yu Y, Chancellor M, de Groat W, Yoshimura N. The role of bladder afferent pathways in bladder hyperactivity induced by the intravesical administration of nerve growth factor. J Urol. 2001;165:975-9 pubmed..evaluated the role of Adelta and C fiber afferents in the type of bladder hyperactivity induced by the intravesical administration of nerve growth factor...
- Fujiyama C, Jones A, Fuggle S, Bicknell R, Cranston D, Harris A. Human bladder cancer invasion model using rat bladder in vitro and its use to test mechanisms and therapeutic inhibitors of invasion. Br J Cancer. 2001;84:558-64 pubmed..In conclusion, this model shows the urokinase system is important for bladder invasion and can be used to investigate other mechanisms of bladder cancer invasion and also for the testing of intravesical drugs. ..
- Silva C, Ribeiro M, Cruz F. The effect of intravesical resiniferatoxin in patients with idiopathic detrusor instability suggests that involuntary detrusor contractions are triggered by C-fiber input. J Urol. 2002;168:575-9 pubmed..Substances that block C-fiber input may represent a new strategy for treating this bladder dysfunction. ..
- Newling D, Hetherington J, Sundaram S, Robinson M, Kisbenedek L. The use of valrubicin for the chemoresection of superficial bladder cancer -- a marker lesion study. Eur Urol. 2001;39:643-7 pubmed
- De Waele J, Pletinckx P, Blot S, Hoste E. Saline volume in transvesical intra-abdominal pressure measurement: enough is enough. Intensive Care Med. 2006;32:455-9 pubmed..The objective was to determine the minimum volume of instillation fluid for intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) measurement, and to evaluate the effect of instillation volume on transvesically measured IAP...
- Cliff A, Heatherwick B, Scoble J, Parr N. The effect of fasting or desmopressin before treatment on the concentration of mitomycin C during intravesical administration. BJU Int. 2000;86:644-7 pubmed..These measures increase the area under the concentration-time curve for mitomycin C and potentially increase the efficacy of treatment. ..
- Nogawa M, Yuasa T, Kimura S, Tanaka M, Kuroda J, Sato K, et al. Intravesical administration of small interfering RNA targeting PLK-1 successfully prevents the growth of bladder cancer. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:978-85 pubmed..We believe intravesical siRNA instillation against bladder cancer will be useful as a therapeutic tool. ..
- Apostolidis A, Brady C, Yiangou Y, Davis J, Fowler C, Anand P. Capsaicin receptor TRPV1 in urothelium of neurogenic human bladders and effect of intravesical resiniferatoxin. Urology. 2005;65:400-5 pubmed..Although it is not known whether similar pathogenic mechanisms are involved in the increase of urothelial and neuronal TRPV1, both may be targeted by successful RTX therapy. ..
- De Boer E, de Reijke T, Vos P, Kurth K, Schamhart D. Immunostimulation in the urinary bladder by local application of Nocardia rubra cell-wall skeletons (Rubratin) and bacillus Calmette-Guérin as therapy for superficial bladder cancer: a comparative study. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31 Suppl 3:S109-14 pubmed
- Peyriere H, Klouche K, Beraud J, Blayac J, Hillaire Buys D. Fatal systemic reaction after multiple doses of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin for polyposis. Ann Pharmacother. 2000;34:1279-82 pubmed
- Pages F, Lebel Binay S, Vieillefond A, Deneux L, Cambillau M, Soubrane O, et al. Local immunostimulation induced by intravesical administration of autologous interferon-gamma-activated macrophages in patients with superficial bladder cancer. Clin Exp Immunol. 2002;127:303-9 pubmedWe conducted a phase I/II clinical trial of the safety and efficacy of intravesical administration of autologous IFN-gamma-activated macrophages (MAK) in patients with superficial bladder cancer...
- Wada Y, Sugiyama Y, Kikukawa H, Kuwahara T, Takahashi W, Takamiya T, et al. Isolated renal tuberculosis following intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy for bladder cancer. Urol Int. 2004;72:257-60 pubmed
- De Berardinis E, Antonini G, Peters G, Loves W, van der Born K, Codacci Pisanelli G, et al. Intravesical administration of gemcitabine in superficial bladder cancer: a phase I study with pharmacodynamic evaluation. BJU Int. 2004;93:491-4 pubmed..A phase II trial of intravesical gemcitabine at 2000 mg given weekly for six consecutive weeks is now in progress in patients with superficial bladder cancer. ..
- Xiao Z, Brown K, Tulip J, Moore R. Whole bladder photodynamic therapy for orthotopic superficial bladder cancer in rats: a study of intravenous and intravesical administration of photosensitizers. J Urol. 2003;169:352-6 pubmed..Intravesical instillation of Photofrin or ALA can achieve the same photodynamic therapy efficacy as intravenous Photofrin in this orthotopic rat bladder tumor model with less phototoxicity to normal tissues. ..
- Giannantoni A, Di Stasi S, Stephen R, Bini V, Costantini E, Porena M. Intravesical resiniferatoxin versus botulinum-A toxin injections for neurogenic detrusor overactivity: a prospective randomized study. J Urol. 2004;172:240-3 pubmed..Botulinum-A toxin injections provided superior clinical and urodynamic benefits compared to those of intravesical resiniferatoxin. ..
- Griffiths T, Charlton M, Neal D, Powell P. Treatment of carcinoma in situ with intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin without maintenance. J Urol. 2002;167:2408-12 pubmed..Better outcomes in each of the 3 groups may have occurred with maintenance BCG. ..
- Crawford E. Intravesical therapy for superficial cancer: need for more options. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20:3185-6 pubmed
- Dalbagni G, Russo P, Sheinfeld J, Mazumdar M, Tong W, Rabbani F, et al. Phase I trial of intravesical gemcitabine in bacillus Calmette-Guérin-refractory transitional-cell carcinoma of the bladder. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20:3193-8 pubmed..Therapy given twice weekly was associated with minimal bladder irritation and tolerable myelosuppression. The recommended phase II dose for twice-weekly therapy is 2,000 mg. ..
- Uchio E, Linehan W, Figg W, Walther M. A phase I study of intravesical suramin for the treatment of superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. J Urol. 2003;169:357-60 pubmed..Phase II studies are needed to assess the antitumor activity of suramin in patients with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. ..
- Weiss G, O Donnell M, Loughlin K, Zonno K, Laliberte R, Sherman M. Phase 1 study of the intravesical administration of recombinant human interleukin-12 in patients with recurrent superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. J Immunother. 2003;26:343-8 pubmed..In summary, intravesical rhIL-12 was well tolerated by patients with recurrent STCC but showed no clinically relevant evidence of antitumor or immunologic effects. ..
- Lee S, Kim S, Chung H, Park Y, Choi Y, Cho Y, et al. Bioadhesive drug delivery system using glyceryl monooleate for the intravesical administration of paclitaxel. Chemotherapy. 2005;51:311-8 pubmed..We conclude that GMO has a significantly increased bioadhesiveness to bladder mucosa. Therefore, intravesical administration of GMO/paclitaxel/water provides a significant advantage for drugs targeting the bladder tissue, and ..
- Gofrit O, Shapiro A, Pode D, Sidi A, Nativ O, Leib Z, et al. Combined local bladder hyperthermia and intravesical chemotherapy for the treatment of high-grade superficial bladder cancer. Urology. 2004;63:466-71 pubmed..Ablation of high-grade bladder tumors is feasible, achieving a complete response in about three quarters of the patients. ..
- Brady C, Apostolidis A, Harper M, Yiangou Y, Beckett A, Jacques T, et al. Parallel changes in bladder suburothelial vanilloid receptor TRPV1 and pan-neuronal marker PGP9.5 immunoreactivity in patients with neurogenic detrusor overactivity after intravesical resiniferatoxin treatment. BJU Int. 2004;93:770-6 pubmed..As baseline nerve fibre values were similar in responders and nonresponders, an additional factor may account for the difference in treatment outcome. ..
- De Boer E, Rooyakkers S, Schamhart D, de Reijke T, Kurth K. BCG dose reduction by decreasing the instillation frequency: effects on local Th1/Th2 cytokine responses in a mouse model. Eur Urol. 2005;48:333-8 pubmed..Whether such a reduced BCG frequency schedule has immune stimulating capacity and therapeutic efficacy associated with less side effects in patients remains to be investigated. ..
- Apostolidis A, Gonzales G, Fowler C. Effect of intravesical Resiniferatoxin (RTX) on lower urinary tract symptoms, urodynamic parameters, and quality of life of patients with urodynamic increased bladder sensation. Eur Urol. 2006;50:1299-305 pubmed
- Miyake H, Eto H, Hara I, So A, Li D, Gleave M. Synergistic antitumor activity by combined treatment with gemcitabine and antisense oligodeoxynucleotide targeting clusterin gene in an intravesical administration model against human bladder cancer kotcc-1 cells. J Urol. 2004;171:2477-81 pubmed..The intraperitoneal tumor cell injection model, which mimics intravesical administration therapy against bladder cancer, was used to evaluate the efficacy of combined AS clusterin ODN and ..
- Sylvester R, van der Meijden A, Lamm D. Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin reduces the risk of progression in patients with superficial bladder cancer: a meta-analysis of the published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol. 2002;168:1964-70 pubmed..Thus, it is the agent of choice for patients with intermediate and high risk papillary tumors and those with carcinoma in situ. ..
- Shimasaki N, Yamasaki I, Kamada M, Syuin T. [Two cases of successful treatments with steroid for local and systemic hypersensitivity reaction following intravesical instillation of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin]. Hinyokika Kiyo. 2001;47:281-4 pubmed..The signs and symptoms mentioned above were decreased immediately and disappeared after the second steroid pulse therapy. ..
- Mitropoulos D. Novel insights into the mechanism of action of intravesical immunomodulators. In Vivo. 2005;19:611-21 pubmed..Tumor cell killing is mediated through FasLigand, perforin and TNF-alpha. In a recent study, we found that BCG up-regulated iNOS expression in normal human urothelium in vivo, suggesting a role for NO in BCG-mediated antitumor activity. ..
- Taneja R, Jawade K. A rational combination of intravesical and systemic agents for the treatment of interstitial cystitis. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2007;41:511-5 pubmed..3 months. A combination of intravesical hydrocortisone and heparin, along with oral bladder sedatives and systemic steroids, has been used with encouraging results in a small group of patients with interstitial cystitis. ..
- Gazzaniga P, Silvestri I, Gradilone A, Aglianò A. Re: The increasing use of intravesical therapies for stage T1 bladder cancer coincides with decreasing survival after cystectomy. BJU Int. 2008;101:127 pubmed
- Lopez J, Angulo J. Growth pattern in superficial urothelial bladder carcinomas. Histological review and clinical relevance. Int Urol Nephrol. 2009;41:847-54 pubmed publisher..Some cases may have been previously considered pTa, but follow an intermediate clinical course between pTa and pT1 tumours with infiltrating growth pattern. ..
- Guy L, Quintens H, Pfister C. [Intravesical instillations in the elderly subject]. Prog Urol. 2009;19 Suppl 3:S133-4 pubmed publisher..With no scientific data, instillations should be proposed according to the risk of the bladder tumor, but by adapting them to the physiological age and the potential risks of this management strategy. ..
- Lazarus J. Intravesical oxybutynin in the pediatric neurogenic bladder. Nat Rev Urol. 2009;6:671-4 pubmed publisher..Intravesical instillations offer an effective alternative; this Review considers their indications, administration, safety and efficacy. ..
- Segawa N, Nishida T, Takahara K, Nomi H, Azuma H, Katsuoka Y. [Intravesical instillation with epirubicin as a prophylactic treatment for superficial bladder cancer--using two different schedules]. Hinyokika Kiyo. 2008;54:711-6 pubmed..There was no adverse event that forced discontinuation of the therapy. In conclusion, epirubicin instillation influenced the prevention of recurrence, but the benefit of long-term period was not confirmed. ..
- Adamopoulos V, Filiadis I, Konstandinidis E. Intravesical anesthesia for bladder tissue biopsies. Comparison of two methods. Int Braz J Urol. 2008;34:277-81; discussion 281-2 pubmed..The analgesic effect that was obtained with the combination of intravesical instillation and subepithelial injection of ropivacaine provides a safe method of anesthesia for transurethral bladder biopsy. ..
- Mahawong P, Chaiyaprasithi B, Soontrapa S, Tappayuthapijarn P. A role of intravesical capsaicin instillation in benign prostatic hyperplasia with overactive bladder symptoms: the first reported study in the literature. J Med Assoc Thai. 2007;90:1821-7 pubmed..No serious adverse effect occurred in the present study. Intravesical capsaicin instillation is an effective treatment for overactive bladder symptoms in benign prostatic hyperplasia patients. ..