fecal microbiota transplantation
Summary: Transfer of GASTROINTESTINAL MICROBIOTA from one individual to another by infusion of donor FECES to the upper or lower GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT of the recipient.
- Sommer F, Anderson J, Bharti R, Raes J, Rosenstiel P. The resilience of the intestinal microbiota influences health and disease. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2017;15:630-638 pubmed publisher..We will discuss the concepts and mechanisms of microbial resilience against dietary, antibiotic or bacteriotherapy-induced perturbations and the implications for human health. ..
- Khanna S, Vázquez Baeza Y, Gonzalez A, Weiss S, Schmidt B, Muniz Pedrogo D, et al. Changes in microbial ecology after fecal microbiota transplantation for recurrent C. difficile infection affected by underlying inflammatory bowel disease. Microbiome. 2017;5:55 pubmed publisher..b>Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) from a healthy donor can restore gut microbial diversity and pathogen colonization resistance; ..
- Lee S, Kahn S, Delmont T, Shaiber A, Esen Ö, Hubert N, et al. Tracking microbial colonization in fecal microbiota transplantation experiments via genome-resolved metagenomics. Microbiome. 2017;5:50 pubmed publisherb>Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) is an effective treatment for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection and shows promise for treating other medical conditions associated with intestinal dysbioses...
- Moayyedi P, Yuan Y, Baharith H, Ford A. Faecal microbiota transplantation for <em>Clostridium difficile</em>-associated diarrhoea: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Med J Aust. 2017;207:166-172 pubmed..Moderate quality evidence from RCT trials indicates that FMT is more effective in patients with CDAD than vancomycin or placebo. Further investigations are needed to determine the best route of administration and FMT preparation. ..
- Uygun A, Oztürk K, Demirci H, Oger C, Avci I, Turker T, et al. Fecal microbiota transplantation is a rescue treatment modality for refractory ulcerative colitis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6479 pubmed publisher..Besides, FMT also appears to be definitely safer and more tolerable than the immunosuppressive therapy in patients with UC (NCT02575040). ..
- Moss E, Falconer S, Tkachenko E, Wang M, Systrom H, Mahabamunuge J, et al. Long-term taxonomic and functional divergence from donor bacterial strains following fecal microbiota transplantation in immunocompromised patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182585 pubmed publisher..b>Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) is a highly effective therapy for refractory or recurrent CDAD and, despite safety concerns, ..
- Laffin M, Madsen K. Fecal Microbial Transplantation in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Movement Too Big to Be Ignored. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2017;102:588-590 pubmed publisher..However, questions remain about the ultimate role of this therapy in disease management, including long term safety, and the optimal composition of transplanted stool. ..
- Ma G, Brensinger C, Wu Q, Lewis J. Increasing Incidence of Multiply Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection in the United States: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167:152-158 pubmed publisherClostridium difficile infection (CDI), the most common health care-associated infection, often recurs. Fecal microbiota transplantation is increasingly used to treat multiply recurrent CDI (mrCDI)...
- Botschuijver S, Roeselers G, Levin E, Jonkers D, Welting O, Heinsbroek S, et al. Intestinal Fungal Dysbiosis Is Associated With Visceral Hypersensitivity in Patients With Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Rats. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:1026-1039 pubmed publisher..The intestinal fungi might therefore be manipulated for treatment of IBS-related visceral hypersensitivity. ..
- Kakihana K. Fecal microbiota transplantation for acute graft-versus-host disease of the gut. Rinsho Ketsueki. 2017;58:499-505 pubmed publisher..We conducted a feasibility study of fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) for acute GVHD of the gut in four human transplant recipients...
- Yamazaki Y, Kawarai S, Morita H, Kikusui T, Iriki A. Faecal transplantation for the treatment of Clostridium difficile infection in a marmoset. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:150 pubmed publisher..This is the first reported case of successful treatment of a marmoset using oral FMT. As seen in human patients, FMT was effective for the treatment of recurrent C. difficile infection in a captive marmoset. ..
- Chitrala K, Guan H, Singh N, Busbee B, Gandy A, Mehrpouya Bahrami P, et al. CD44 deletion leading to attenuation of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis results from alterations in gut microbiome in mice. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:1188-1199 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our studies also demonstrate that the phenotype of gene knock-out animals may be shaped by gut microbiota. ..
- Wu H, Esteve E, Tremaroli V, Khan M, Caesar R, MannerÃ¥s Holm L, et al. Metformin alters the gut microbiome of individuals with treatment-naive type 2 diabetes, contributing to the therapeutic effects of the drug. Nat Med. 2017;23:850-858 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide support for the notion that altered gut microbiota mediates some of metformin's antidiabetic effects. ..
- Meighani A, Hart B, Bourgi K, Miller N, John A, Ramesh M. Outcomes of Fecal Microbiota Transplantation for Clostridium difficile Infection in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2870-2875 pubmed publisherb>Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has recently been shown to be a promising therapy for recurrent and refractory Clostridium difficile infections (CDI) despite lack of protocol standardization...
- Cohen N, Maharshak N. Novel Indications for Fecal Microbial Transplantation: Update and Review of the Literature. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:1131-1145 pubmed publisher..A PubMed search was performed using the terms "Fecal microbiota transplantation" OR "FMT" OR "Bacteriotherapy...