Genomes and Genes
Summary: The introduction of whole blood or blood component directly into the blood stream. (Dorland, 27th ed)
- Alshryda S, Sarda P, Sukeik M, Nargol A, Blenkinsopp J, Mason J. Tranexamic acid in total knee replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011;93:1577-85 pubmed publisher..TXA led to a significant reduction in the proportion of patients requiring blood transfusion (risk ratio (RR) 2.56, 95% confidence interval (CI) 2.1 to 3.1, p < 0...
- Litton E, Xiao J, Ho K. Safety and efficacy of intravenous iron therapy in reducing requirement for allogeneic blood transfusion: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. BMJ. 2013;347:f4822 pubmed publisher..This potential benefit is counterbalanced by a potential increased risk of infection. ..
- Konig G, Hamlin B, Waters J. Topical tranexamic acid reduces blood loss and transfusion rates in total hip and total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2013;28:1473-6 pubmed publisher..Topical application of TXA significantly reduces postoperative blood loss and transfusion risk in TKA and THA. ..
- Wind T, Barfield W, Moskal J. The effect of tranexamic acid on transfusion rate in primary total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2014;29:387-9 pubmed publisherTotal hip arthroplasty (THA) may produce blood loss requiring allogenic blood transfusion. Recently several authors have reported success decreasing their transfusion rate with tranexamic acid (TXA)...
- Liu L, Wang Z, Jiang S, Shao B, Liu J, Zhang S, et al. Perioperative allogenenic blood transfusion is associated with worse clinical outcomes for hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64261 pubmed publisherThe impact of perioperative allogenenic blood transfusion (ABT) on clinical outcomes for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is conflicting and unclear...
- Blomberg M. Maternal obesity and risk of postpartum hemorrhage. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118:561-8 pubmed publisher..86, 95% CI 2.22-3.68). The increased risk for atonic postpartum hemorrhage in the obese group has important clinical implications, such as considering administration of prophylactic postpartum uterotonic drugs to this group. II. ..
- Echeverri D, Barreto D, Osorio L, Cortés A, Martinez E. [A case report of transfusion-transmitted Plasmodium vivax malaria from an asymptomatic donor to a premature newborn]. Biomedica. 2012;32 Suppl 1:8-12 pubmed publisher..vivax infection. This case suggests the need for reviewing donor selection criteria and deferral strategies to prevent possible cases of transfusion-transmitted malaria. ..
- Görlinger K, Dirkmann D, Hanke A, Kamler M, Kottenberg E, Thielmann M, et al. First-line therapy with coagulation factor concentrates combined with point-of-care coagulation testing is associated with decreased allogeneic blood transfusion in cardiovascular surgery: a retrospective, single-center cohort study. Anesthesiology. 2011;115:1179-91 pubmed publisherb>Blood transfusion is associated with increased morbidity and mortality...
- Gilstad C, Roschewski M, Wells J, Delmas A, Lackey J, Uribe P, et al. Fatal transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease with concomitant immune hemolysis in a group A combat trauma patient resuscitated with group O fresh whole blood. Transfusion. 2012;52:930-5 pubmed publisher..graft-versus-host disease (TA-GVHD) is a rare but well-established fatal complication of blood transfusion. It can occur in immunocompetent patients when they receive transfusions from human leukocyte antigen-..
- Crescenti A, Borghi G, Bignami E, Bertarelli G, Landoni G, Casiraghi G, et al. Intraoperative use of tranexamic acid to reduce transfusion rate in patients undergoing radical retropubic prostatectomy: double blind, randomised, placebo controlled trial. BMJ. 2011;343:d5701 pubmed publisher..Trial registration ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00670345. ..
- Cotton B, Faz G, Hatch Q, Radwan Z, Podbielski J, Wade C, et al. Rapid thrombelastography delivers real-time results that predict transfusion within 1 hour of admission. J Trauma. 2011;71:407-14; discussion 414-7 pubmed publisher..the timeliness of r-TEG results, their correlation with CCTs, and the ability of r-TEG to predict early blood transfusion. Over a 5-month period, 583 consecutive major trauma activations were prospectively entered into a database, ..
- DiTomasso J, Liu Y, Heddle N. The Canadian Transfusion Surveillance System: what is it and how can the data be used?. Transfus Apher Sci. 2012;46:329-35 pubmed publisher..Although hemovigilance data has been successfully used to improve blood safety, we must continue to explore ways to utilize such data to improve and implement safe transfusion practices. ..
- Strait R, Hicks W, Barasa N, Mahler A, Khodoun M, Köhl J, et al. MHC class I-specific antibody binding to nonhematopoietic cells drives complement activation to induce transfusion-related acute lung injury in mice. J Exp Med. 2011;208:2525-44 pubmed publisher..lung injury (TRALI), a form of noncardiogenic pulmonary edema that develops during or within 6 h after a blood transfusion, is the most frequent cause of transfusion-associated death in the United States...
- Carson J, Terrin M, Noveck H, Sanders D, Chaitman B, Rhoads G, et al. Liberal or restrictive transfusion in high-risk patients after hip surgery. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:2453-62 pubmed publisher..We conducted a randomized trial to determine whether a higher threshold for blood transfusion would improve recovery in patients who had undergone surgery for hip fracture...
- Schöchl H, Cotton B, Inaba K, Nienaber U, Fischer H, Voelckel W, et al. FIBTEM provides early prediction of massive transfusion in trauma. Crit Care. 2011;15:R265 pubmed publisher..83). FIBTEM A10 and FIBTEM MCF provided similar predictive values for massive transfusion in trauma patients to the most predictive laboratory parameters. Prospective studies are needed to confirm these findings. ..
- Lee S, Yahng S, Cho B, Eom K, Kim Y, Lee S, et al. Improvement in hematopoiesis after iron chelation therapy with deferasirox in patients with aplastic anemia. Acta Haematol. 2013;129:72-7 pubmed publisher..Further long-term studies in larger patient cohorts are needed to clarify the effect of the restoration of hematopoiesis after iron chelation therapy. ..
- Williams D, Galvin T, Gao Y, O Neill C, Glasner D, Khan A. No evidence of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus transmission by blood transfusion from infected rhesus macaques. J Virol. 2013;87:2278-86 pubmed publisher..XMRV transmission was evaluated by whole-blood transfusion in rhesus macaques...
- Macdougall I, Obrador G. How important is transfusion avoidance in 2013?. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013;28:1092-9 pubmed publisher..The aim of this review is to reassess how important transfusion avoidance is in 2013, and whether we should still have the same concerns about HLA sensitization that we had 20 years ago. ..
- Lutomski J, Byrne B, Devane D, Greene R. Increasing trends in atonic postpartum haemorrhage in Ireland: an 11-year population-based cohort study. BJOG. 2012;119:306-14 pubmed publisher..rates of postpartum haemorrhage (PPH), and to investigate trends associated with method of delivery, blood transfusion and morbidly adherent placenta (accreta, percreta and increta). Population-based retrospective cohort study...
- Farrokhi M, Kazemi A, Eftekharian H, Akbari K. Efficacy of prophylactic low dose of tranexamic acid in spinal fixation surgery: a randomized clinical trial. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2011;23:290-6 pubmed publisher..The administration of a prophylactic low dose of TXA did not have a significant effect in the management of intraoperative blood loss and transfusion requirements in patients undergoing spinal fixation surgery. ..