Genomes and Genes
Summary: A system for verifying and maintaining a desired level of quality in a product or process by careful planning, use of proper equipment, continued inspection, and corrective action as required. (Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed)
Publications328 found, 100 shown here
- The MicroArray Quality Control (MAQC)-II study of common practices for the development and validation of microarray-based predictive modelsLeming Shi
National Center for Toxicological Research, US Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, Arkansas, USA
Nat Biotechnol 28:827-38. 2010..The conclusions and recommendations from MAQC-II should be useful for regulatory agencies, study committees and independent investigators that evaluate methods for global gene expression analysis...
- A comparison of normalization methods for high density oligonucleotide array data based on variance and biasB M Bolstad
Group in Biostatistics, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Bioinformatics 19:185-93. 2003..Normalization is a process for reducing this variation. It is common to see non-linear relations between arrays and the standard normalization provided by Affymetrix does not perform well in these situations...
- The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviewsPenny Whiting
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, England, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 3:25. 2003..The aim of this project was to combine empirical evidence and expert opinion in a formal consensus method to develop a tool to be used in systematic reviews to assess the quality of primary studies of diagnostic accuracy...
- Quality control and preprocessing of metagenomic datasetsRobert Schmieder
Department of Computer Science, Computational Science Research Center, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
Bioinformatics 27:863-4. 2011Here, we present PRINSEQ for easy and rapid quality control and data preprocessing of genomic and metagenomic datasets...
- NGS QC Toolkit: a toolkit for quality control of next generation sequencing dataRavi K Patel
Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics Laboratory, National Institute of Plant Genome Research NIPGR, New Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 7:e30619. 2012..However, quality control (QC) of sequence data generated from these technologies is extremely important for meaningful downstream ..
- Empirical studies assessing the quality of health information for consumers on the world wide web: a systematic reviewGunther Eysenbach
Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, Toronto General Hospital, 190 Elizabeth St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
JAMA 287:2691-700. 2002..The quality of consumer health information on the World Wide Web is an important issue for medicine, but to date no systematic and comprehensive synthesis of the methods and evidence has been performed...
- Nonsense-mediated mRNA decay in human cells: mechanistic insights, functions beyond quality control and the double-life of NMD factorsPamela Nicholson
Institute of Cell Biology, University of Bern, Baltzerstrasse 4, 3012, Bern, Switzerland
Cell Mol Life Sci 67:677-700. 2010..However, as we review here, NMD is far from being a simple quality control mechanism; it also regulates the stability of many wild-type transcripts...
- The RIN: an RNA integrity number for assigning integrity values to RNA measurementsAndreas Schroeder
Agilent Technologies, Hewlett Packard Strasse 8, 76337 Waldbronn, Germany
BMC Mol Biol 7:3. 2006..The advent of microcapillary electrophoretic RNA separation provides the basis for an automated high-throughput approach, in order to estimate the integrity of RNA samples in an unambiguous way...
- Evaluation of QUADAS, a tool for the quality assessment of diagnostic accuracy studiesPenny F Whiting
MRC Health Services Research Collaboration, Department of Social Medicine, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 6:9. 2006..Although QUADAS has been used in several systematic reviews, it has not been formally validated. The objective was to evaluate the validity and usefulness of QUADAS...
- The relationship of previous training and experience of journal peer reviewers to subsequent review qualityMichael L Callaham
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, United States of America
PLoS Med 4:e40. 2007..More objective selection of peer reviewers might improve the journal peer review process and thus the quality of published science...
- Data quality control in genetic case-control association studiesCarl A Anderson
Genetic and Genomic Epidemiology Unit, Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Nat Protoc 5:1564-73. 2010..Issues concerning study design and marker selection in case-control studies have been discussed in our earlier protocols. This protocol, which is routinely used in our labs, should take approximately 8 h to complete...
- Laboratory evolution of fast-folding green fluorescent protein using secretory pathway quality controlAdam C Fisher
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2351. 2008..This prompted us to hypothesize that the folding quality control inherent to this secretory pathway could be used as a platform for engineering similar 'superfolded' proteins...
- Does the CONSORT checklist improve the quality of reports of randomised controlled trials? A systematic reviewAmy C Plint
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Med J Aust 185:263-7. 2006..To determine whether the adoption of the CONSORT checklist is associated with improvement in the quality of reporting of randomised controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Comparative proteomic analysis identifies a role for SUMO in protein quality controlMichael H Tatham
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Sci Signal 4:rs4. 2011..Together, these findings suggest multiple, proteasome-independent roles for SUMOs in the cellular response to the accumulation of misfolded proteins...
- Adjustment of systematic microarray data biasesMonica Benito
Department of Statistics and Econometrics, University of Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Bioinformatics 20:105-14. 2004..These systematic effects present a substantial hurdle to the analysis of microarray data...
- NORDCAN--a Nordic tool for cancer information, planning, quality control and researchGerda Engholm
NORDCAN Secretariat, Department of Cancer Prevention and Documentation, Danish Cancer Society, Strandboulevarden 49, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Acta Oncol 49:725-36. 2010....
- Quality control and quality assurance in genotypic data for genome-wide association studiesCathy C Laurie
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Genet Epidemiol 34:591-602. 2010..attention to data quality has been appreciated for some time in this field, and a number of strategies for quality control and quality assurance (QC/QA) have been developed...
- Reported methodologic quality and discrepancies between large and small randomized trials in meta-analysesL L Kjaergard
Cochrane Hepato Biliary Group, Copenhagen Trial Unit, Center for Clinical Intervention Research, Copenhagen University Hospital, H S Rigshospitalet, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Intern Med 135:982-9. 2001..To explore whether reported methodologic quality affects estimated intervention effects in randomized trials and contributes to discrepancies between the results of large randomized trials and small randomized trials in meta-analyses...
- Quality control parameters on a large dataset of regionally dissected human control brains for whole genome expression studiesDaniah Trabzuni
Reta Lilla Weston Laboratories and Departments of Molecular Neuroscience, UCL Institute of Neurology, London, UK
J Neurochem 119:275-82. 2011..We assessed the accuracy of the array data using QuantiGene, as an independent non-PCR-based method. These quality control parameters will allow database users to assess data accuracy...
- Strategies for quality control of Chinese medicinesS P Li
State Key Laboratory for Quality Research in Chinese Medicine and Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau, Macao SAR, China
J Pharm Biomed Anal 55:802-9. 2011Chinese medicines (CM) have been attracting interest and acceptance in many countries. Quality control is vital for ensuring the safety and efficacy of CM...
- Simpleaffy: a BioConductor package for Affymetrix Quality Control and data analysisClaire L Wilson
Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester M20 4BX, UK
Bioinformatics 21:3683-5. 2005b>Quality Control is a fundamental aspect of successful microarray data analysis...
- Improved quality control method for Fufang Danshen preparations through simultaneous determination of phenolic acids, saponins and diterpenoid quinones by HPLC coupled with diode array and evaporative light scattering detectorsYing Jie Wei
Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines, China Pharmaceutical University, Ministry of Education, Nanjing 210009, China
J Pharm Biomed Anal 45:775-84. 2007..by various manufacturers with the raw materials from different sources, pose a serious challenge to the quality control of this herb medicine...
- Statistical issues in quality control of proteomic analyses: good experimental design and planningDavid A Cairns
Clinical and Biomedical Proteomics Group, Section of Oncology and Clinical Research, Leeds Cancer Research UK Centre, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Proteomics 11:1037-48. 2011b>Quality control is becoming increasingly important in proteomic investigations as experiments become more multivariate and quantitative. Quality control applies to all stages of an investigation and statistics can play a key role...
- Quality control in microarray assessment of gene expression in human airway epitheliumTina Raman
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
BMC Genomics 10:493. 2009..The focus of this study was to establish rigorous quality control parameters to ensure that microarray assessment of the airway epithelium is not confounded by experimental ..
- Transcriptome sequencing of the Microarray Quality Control (MAQC) RNA reference samples using next generation sequencingShrinivasrao P Mane
Department of Biological Sciences, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
BMC Genomics 10:264. 2009..As a preliminary evaluation of these promising technologies, we performed deep sequencing of cDNA synthesized from the Microarray Quality Control (MAQC) reference RNA samples using Roche's 454 Genome Sequencer FLX.
- Production, quality control, stability and pharmacotoxicity of cGMP-produced Plasmodium falciparum AMA1 FVO strain ectodomain expressed in Pichia pastorisBart W Faber
Department of Parasitology, Biomedical Primate Research Center, Lange Kleiweg 139, 2288 GJ Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Vaccine 26:6143-50. 2008..These formulations also showed no pharmacotoxicity in rabbits. The final product conformed to preset criteria and was judged suitable for use in human clinical trials...
- DrugBank: a comprehensive resource for in silico drug discovery and explorationDavid S Wishart
Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E8
Nucleic Acids Res 34:D668-72. 2006..DrugBank is available at http://redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca/drugbank/...
- Randomized trials published in some Chinese journals: how many are randomized?Taixiang Wu
Chinese Cochrane Centre, Chinese Evidence Based Medicine Centre, International Clinical Epidemiology Network INCLEN, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, PR China
Trials 10:46. 2009..We investigated the adequacy of randomization of clinical trials published in recent years in China to determine how many of them met acceptable standards for allocating participants to treatment groups...
- The Alzheimer's Association external quality control program for cerebrospinal fluid biomarkersNiklas Mattsson
Clinical Neurochemistry Laboratory, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Psychiatry and Neurochemistry, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Molndal, Sweden
Alzheimers Dement 7:386-395.e6. 2011..The Alzheimer's Association has initiated a global quality control program to estimate and monitor variability of measurements, quantify batch-to-batch assay variations, and ..
- Highly parallel SNP genotypingJ B Fan
llumina, Inc, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 68:69-78. 2003
- Anti-malarial drug quality in Lagos and Accra - a comparison of various quality assessmentsRoger Bate
American Enterprise Institute, Washington, D C, USA
Malar J 9:157. 2010..Since intelligence provided by investigators indicates that some counterfeit producers may be adapting products to pass Minilab tests, the results are compared with those from a Raman spectrometer and discrepancies are discussed...
- The CONSORT statement: revised recommendations for improving the quality of reports of parallel-group randomised trialsD Moher
University of Ottawa, Thomas C Chalmers Centre for Systematic Reviews, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Lancet 357:1191-4. 2001..In sum, the CONSORT statement is intended to improve the reporting of an RCT, enabling readers to understand a trial's conduct and to assess the validity of its results...
- NCBI reference sequences (RefSeq): a curated non-redundant sequence database of genomes, transcripts and proteinsKim D Pruitt
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Rm 6An 12J, 45 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 6510, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:D61-5. 2007..The format of all RefSeq records is validated, and an increasing number of tests are being applied to evaluate the quality of sequence and annotation, especially in the context of complete genomic sequence...
- Quality control and data reduction procedures for accelerometry-derived measures of physical activityRachel Colley
Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario
Health Rep 21:63-9. 2010This article describes four key quality control and data reduction issues that researchers should consider when using accelerometry to measure physical activity: monitor reliability, spurious data, monitor wear time, and number of valid ..
- Analytical methods for quality control of propolisP G Pietta
C N R, I T B, V le F lli Cervi, 93, Segrate MI, Italy
Fitoterapia 73:S7-20. 2002..Direct analysis by APCI-IT-MS represents a valuable alternative to obtain typical fingerprints of propolis and a reliable identification of a large number of propolis components...
- Guidelines on good clinical laboratory practice: bridging operations between research and clinical research laboratoriesJ Ezzelle
PPD Inc, 929 North Front Street, Wilmington, NC 28401 3331, United States
J Pharm Biomed Anal 46:18-29. 2008....
- The quality of reporting of trial abstracts is suboptimal: survey of major general medical journalsOtavio Berwanger
Research Institute of Heart Hospital IEP HCor, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
J Clin Epidemiol 62:387-92. 2009..To evaluate the quality of reporting of abstracts describing randomized controlled trials (RCTs) published in four major general medical journals...
- mRNA and microRNA quality control for RT-qPCR analysisC Becker
Physiology Weihenstephan, Technical University Munich, Freising, Germany
Methods 50:237-43. 2010..RNA quality control may also be integrated in the routine analysis of new applications like the investigation of microRNA (miRNA) ..
- Quality control for genome-wide association studiesMichael E Weale
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, King s College London, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Methods Mol Biol 628:341-72. 2010This chapter is a comprehensive review of quality control (QC) methods for SNP-based genotyping panels used in genome-wide association studies...
- No-go decay: a quality control mechanism for RNA in translationYuriko Harigaya
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0106, USA
Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA 1:132-41. 2010Eukaryotic cells have evolved multiple quality control mechanisms that recognize and eliminate defective mRNA during the process of translation...
- Improving the quality of reporting alcohol outcome studies: effects of the CONSORT statementBenjamin O Ladd
Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions CASAA, 2650 Yale Blvd SE, MSC11 6280, Albuquerque, NM 87106, USA
Addict Behav 35:660-6. 2010..Results suggest that efforts to improve reporting such as the CONSORT guidelines can be useful and influential...
- 111In-pentetreotide scintigraphy: procedure guidelines for tumour imagingEmilio Bombardieri
Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 37:1441-8. 2010..The aim of this guideline is to assist nuclear medicine physicians in recommending, performing, reporting and interpreting the results of (111)In-pentetreotide scintigraphy...
- Simultaneous quantification of 14 ginsenosides in Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer (Korean red ginseng) by HPLC-ELSD and its application to quality controlSu Na Kim
Natural Products Research Institute, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul 110 460, South Korea
J Pharm Biomed Anal 45:164-70. 2007..The amounts of the 14 ginsenosides in the various ginseng samples could be analyzed simultaneously. This validated HPLC method is expected to provide a new basis for the quality assessment of ginseng products...
- Identifying actives from HTS data sets: practical approaches for the selection of an appropriate HTS data-processing method and quality control reviewTong Ying Shun
University of Pittsburgh Drug Discovery Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Biomol Screen 16:1-14. 2011..Step 1 is to determine the most appropriate HTS data-processing method and establish criteria for quality control review and active identification from 3-day assay signal window and DMSO validation tests...
- Has the quality of abstracts for randomised controlled trials improved since the release of Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trial guideline for abstract reporting? A survey of four high-profile anaesthesia journalsOzlem S Can
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 28:485-92. 2011..The current study assessed whether there has been an improvement in the quality of RCT abstracts published in main anaesthesia journals since this new guideline was introduced...
- Empirical evidence of design-related bias in studies of diagnostic testsJ G Lijmer
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JAMA 282:1061-6. 1999..The literature contains a large number of potential biases in the evaluation of diagnostic tests. Strict application of appropriate methodological criteria would invalidate the clinical application of most study results...
- A simple and fast two-locus quality control test to detect false positives due to batch effects in genome-wide association studiesSang Hong Lee
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Queensland, Australia
Genet Epidemiol 34:854-62. 2010The impact of erroneous genotypes having passed standard quality control (QC) can be severe in genome-wide association studies, genotype imputation, and estimation of heritability and prediction of genetic risk based on single nucleotide ..
- DNA yield and quality of saliva samples and suitability for large-scale epidemiological studies in childrenA C Koni
College of Medicine, Veterinary and Life Sciences, Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Int J Obes (Lond) 35:S113-8. 2011..To evaluate two saliva collection methods for DNA yield and quality as applied to a large, integrated, multicentre, European project involving the collection of biological material from children...
- PRIDE: quality control in a proteomics data repositoryAttila Csordas
EMBL Outstation, European Bioinformatics Institute EBI, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK
Database (Oxford) 2012:bas004. 2012..Here, we describe the PRIDE curation pipeline and its practical application in quality control of complex data depositions. DATABASE URL: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pride/.
- Live cell quality control and utility of real-time cell electronic sensing for assay developmentShelli L Kirstein
ACEA Biosciences Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Assay Drug Dev Technol 4:545-53. 2006..that provide a quantitative account of cell behavior and can be used as a diagnostic tool for cellular quality control. The utility of the specific signature patterns was shown by demonstrating the significant differences in ..
- pH measurement as quality control on human post mortem brain tissue: a study of the BrainNet Europe consortiumC M Monoranu
Department of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 35:329-37. 2009..Here we examine the influence of several premortem and post mortem factors on pH, and discuss the role of pH as a biochemical marker for brain tissue quality...
- Digital slides: present status of a tool for consultation, teaching, and quality control in pathologyRafael Rocha
Department of Pathology Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Pathol Res Pract 205:735-41. 2009..Overcoming this major drawback may revolutionize the surgical pathologist's activity and slide storing...
- External quality assessment for KRAS testing is needed: setup of a European program and report of the first joined regional quality assessment roundsEllen Bellon
University of Leuven, Centre for Human Genetics, Research Unit Biomedical Quality Assurance Leuven, Herestraat 49, Box 602, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Oncologist 16:467-78. 2011..We aim to further expand this program to more laboratories to provide a robust estimate of the quality of KRAS testing in Europe, and provide the basis for remedial measures and harmonization...
- Substandard tuberculosis drugs on the global market and their simple detectionK F Laserson
Division of TB Elimination, National Centers for HIV AIDS, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 5:448-54. 2001..The prevalence of substandard anti-tuberculosis drugs is unknown. To maximize the effectiveness of tuberculosis (TB) control efforts, simple, inexpensive drug quality screening methods are needed...
- Recognition of errors in three-dimensional structures of proteinsM J Sippl
Center for Applied Molecular Engineering, University of Salzburg, Austria
Proteins 17:355-62. 1993..The techniques are even applicable in cases where only the C alpha trace of a protein conformation is available. The capabilities of the technique are demonstrated using correct and incorrect protein folds...
- An endoribonuclease functionally linked to perinuclear mRNP quality control associates with the nuclear pore complexesMichal Skruzny
Biochemie Zentrum der Universität Heidelberg BZH, Heidelberg, Germany
PLoS Biol 7:e8. 2009..Here we report that the conserved PIN domain protein Swt1 is an RNA endonuclease that participates in quality control of nuclear mRNPs and can associate with the nuclear pore complex (NPC)...
- Diagnostic challenges for multiplexed protein microarraysStephen R Master
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Drug Discov Today 11:1007-11. 2006..this new assay format presents several new operational issues for the clinical laboratory, such as the quality control of protein-microarray-based assays, the release of unrequested test data and the use of diagnostic algorithms ..
- Quality control of Cordyceps sinensis, a valued traditional Chinese medicineS P Li
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau, Taipa, Macau SAR, China
J Pharm Biomed Anal 41:1571-84. 2006..Therefore, quality control of C. sinensis and its products is very important to ensure their safety and efficacy...
- Consistency of predictive signature genes and classifiers generated using different microarray platformsX Fan
College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Pharmacogenomics J 10:247-57. 2010..As part of the MicroArray Quality Control Phase II (MAQC-II) project, we show in this study 80-90% cross-platform prediction consistency using a large ..
- Standardization and quality control studies of 'real-time' quantitative reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction of fusion gene transcripts for residual disease detection in leukemia - a Europe Against Cancer programJ Gabert
Department of Hematology Biology, Institut Paoli Calmettes, France
Leukemia 17:2318-57. 2003..During our program, three quality control rounds on a large series of coded RNA samples were performed including a balanced randomized assay, which ..
- Investigation of product quality between extemporaneously compounded progesterone vaginal suppositories and an approved progesterone vaginal gelVorapann Mahaguna
PharmaForm, LLC, Austin, TX 78758, USA
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 30:1069-78. 2004..This data indicates that pharmacy compounded delivery systems for progesterone should be used with caution...
- Assessment of the quality of reporting in abstracts of randomized controlled trials published in five leading Chinese medical journalsYaolong Chen
Chinese Cochrane Centre, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
PLoS ONE 5:e11926. 2010..However, little is known about the quality of reporting in abstracts of RCTs published in medical journals in China...
- Validation and application of a liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric method for determination of artesunate in pharmaceutical samplesN Lindegardh
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
J Pharm Biomed Anal 45:149-53. 2007..3 (70:30, v/v) at a flow rate of 1 mL/min. The assay was implemented for the analysis of artesunate for injection purchased from Guilin Pharmaceutical Company in China...
- Influence of trial registration on reporting quality of randomized trials: study from highest ranked journalsL Reveiz
Colombian Cochrane Branch, Fundación Universitaria Sanitas, Bogota, Colombia
J Clin Epidemiol 63:1216-22. 2010..To evaluate the reporting quality of key methodological items of randomized control trials (RCTs) in 55 of the highest ranked journals...
- Opportunities and challenges for improving the quality of reporting clinical research: CONSORT and beyondDavid Moher
Chalmers Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L1, Canada
CMAJ 171:349-50. 2004
- Analysis of cell-based RNAi screensMichael Boutros
Signaling and Functional Genomics, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 580, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Genome Biol 7:R66. 2006..dkfz.de/signaling/cellHTS). The method is useful for the analysis and documentation of individual RNAi screens. Moreover, it is a prerequisite for the integration of multiple experiments...
- Quality control for quantitative PCR based on amplification compatibility testAles Tichopad
Technical University Munich, Physiology Weihenstephan, Weihenstephaner Berg 3, 85354 Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
Methods 50:308-12. 2010..Finally we stress that the performance of the amplification compatibility test as a quality control procedure depends on the quality of the reference set.
- Microarray meta-analysis database (M(2)DB): a uniformly pre-processed, quality controlled, and manually curated human clinical microarray databaseWei Chung Cheng
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Environmental Sciences, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
BMC Bioinformatics 11:421. 2010..However, collecting data of special interest from public microarray repositories often present major practical problems. Moreover, including low-quality data may significantly reduce meta-analysis efficiency...
- AAPM/RSNA physics tutorial for residents: MR artifacts, safety, and quality controlJiachen Zhuo
Department of Radiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 22 S Greene St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Radiographics 26:275-97. 2006....
- User attitudes in analyzing digital slides in a quality control test bed: a preliminary studyVincenzo Della Mea
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine, Italy
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 82:177-86. 2006..Possible applications of digital slides are then discussed, including undergraduate and professional education, quality control, and image analysis on full samples as well as on tissue microarrays.
- Identification and correction of abnormal, incomplete and mispredicted proteins in public databasesAlinda Nagy
Institute of Enzymology, Biological Research Center, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, H 1113 Budapest, Hungary
BMC Bioinformatics 9:353. 2008..Here we describe the MisPred approach that may provide an efficient means for the quality control of databases...
- Challenges in routine implementation and quality control of rapid diagnostic tests for malaria--Rufiji District, TanzaniaMeredith L McMorrow
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:385-90. 2008..Current World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines for quality control of RDTs provide detailed instructions on pre-field testing, but offer little guidance for quality assurance ..
- In vitro antimicrobial activity of a new cephalosporin, ceftaroline, and determination of quality control ranges for MIC testingSteven D Brown
The Clinical Microbiology Institute, 9725 SW Commerce Circle, Wilsonville, Oregon 97070, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1271-4. 2009..For the majority of species, the activity of ceftaroline was comparable or superior to that of ceftriaxone. MIC and/or disk diffusion quality control ranges of ceftaroline were determined for five standard ATCC reference strains.
- Mesenchymal content of fresh bone marrow: a proposed quality control method for cell therapyRichard Veyrat-Masson
Hematology Biology Department, U F de Biologie et Caractérisation Cellulaires, Hotel Dieu, CHU, Clermont Ferrand, France
Br J Haematol 139:312-20. 2007..We propose a cell quality control on un-manipulated BM cell suspensions to quantify the mesenchymal compartment with regard to varying donor ..
- Quality control for functional magnetic resonance imaging using automated data analysis and Shewhart chartingA Simmons
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Institute of Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Magn Reson Med 41:1274-8. 1999A data acquisition and analysis protocol for quality control (QC) of functional magnetic resonance imaging studies is presented...
- The revised CONSORT statement for reporting randomized trials: explanation and elaborationD G Altman
ICRF Medical Statistics Group, Centre for Statistics in Medicine, Institute of Health Sciences, Old Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, United Kingdom
Ann Intern Med 134:663-94. 2001..consort-statement.org ) should be helpful resources to improve reporting of randomized trials. Throughout the text, terms marked with an asterisk are defined at end of text...
- Protein N-glycosylation along the secretory pathway: relationship to organelle topography and function, protein quality control, and cell interactionsJürgen Roth
Division of Cell and Molecular Pathology, Department of Pathology, University of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Chem Rev 102:285-303. 2002
- Quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials in general endocrinology literatureLorena P Rios
Father Sean O Sullivan Research Centre, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4A6 Canada
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3810-6. 2008..The reporting quality of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) is poor in general medicine and several areas of specialization but unknown in endocrinology...
- How to interpret a genome-wide association studyThomas A Pearson
Office of Population Genomics, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2154, USA
JAMA 299:1335-44. 2008..This article describes the design, interpretation, application, and limitations of GWA studies for clinicians and scientists for whom this evolving science may have great relevance...
- Quality control of ribosomal RNA mediated by polynucleotide phosphorylase and RNase RZhuan Fen Cheng
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL 33101, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:6388-93. 2003..The data are consistent with a model in which PNPase and RNase R mediate a previously unknown quality control process that normally removes defective rRNAs as soon as they are generated...
- Production and validation of durable, high quality standardized malaria microscopy slides for teaching, testing and quality assurance during an era of declining diagnostic proficiencyJason D Maguire
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2 NAMRU 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Malar J 5:92. 2006..Sets of Giemsa-stained, blood smear slides with systematically verified composite diagnoses would contribute substantially to development of externally validated quality assurance systems for the microscopic diagnosis of malaria...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon exposures of children in low-income familiesJ C Chuang
National Exposure Research Laboratory, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 9:85-98. 1999..S. EPA's Integrated Risk System), most of which are of low volatility. The analysis of variance results showed that inner city participants had higher total exposure to B2 PAH than did rural participants...
- PRISM framework: a paradigm shift for designing, strengthening and evaluating routine health information systemsAnwer Aqil
MEASURE Evaluation, 1616 N Fort Mayer Drive, Arlington, VA 22209, USA
Health Policy Plan 24:217-28. 2009....
- Improving the quality of Web surveys: the Checklist for Reporting Results of Internet E-Surveys (CHERRIES)Gunther Eysenbach
J Med Internet Res 6:e34. 2004..It is hoped that author adherence to the checklist will increase the usefulness of such reports...
- Statistical analysis of real-time PCR dataJoshua S Yuan
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 7:85. 2006..Based on the standard curve method and other useful data analysis methods, we present and compare four statistical approaches and models for the analysis of real-time PCR data...
- Computerised reminders and feedback in medication management: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsJohn W Bennett
University Health Service, University of Queensland, Gordon Greenwood Building, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Med J Aust 178:217-22. 2003..To systematically review randomised controlled trials (RCTs) of computer-generated medication reminders or feedback directed to healthcare providers or patients...
- Where is the evidence that animal research benefits humans?Pandora Pound
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 2PR
BMJ 328:514-7. 2004
- Incongruence between test statistics and P values in medical papersEmili García-Berthou
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Girona, E 17071 Girona, Spain
BMC Med Res Methodol 4:13. 2004..Given an observed test statistic and its degrees of freedom, one may compute the observed P value with most statistical packages. It is unknown to what extent test statistics and P values are congruent in published medical papers...
- MicroPreP: a cDNA microarray data pre-processing frameworkSacha A F T van Hijum
Molecular Genetics, University of Groningen, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, Haren, The Netherlands
Appl Bioinformatics 2:241-4. 2003..The main features of this software are: LOWESS normalisation; merging of DNA microarray data from changing slide versions; outlier detection; and slide quality assessment...
- Extended guidelines for mtDNA typing of population data in forensic scienceWalther Parson
Institute of Legal Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Forensic Sci Int Genet 1:13-9. 2007..guidelines became necessary in regard to sample selection, amplification and sequencing strategies, as well as a posteriori quality control of mtDNA profiles. The notation of sequence data should thus reflect this growing knowledge.
- Improving the reporting quality of nonrandomized evaluations of behavioral and public health interventions: the TREND statementDon C Des Jarlais
Baron Edmond de Rothschild Chemical Dependency Institute, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York City, USA
Am J Public Health 94:361-6. 2004..These guidelines emphasize the reporting of theories used and descriptions of intervention and comparison conditions, research design, and methods of adjusting for possible biases in evaluation studies that use nonrandomized designs...
- Mapping of quantitative trait loci affecting quality and production traits in egg layersM Tuiskula-Haavisto
Animal Production Research, Animal Breeding, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, Jokioinen
Poult Sci 81:919-27. 2002..The most significant QTL explains 25.8% of the phenotypic variance in F2 of body weight. An area affecting the age at first egg, egg weight, and the number of eggs was located on chromosome Z...
- Gene expression profiles from formalin fixed paraffin embedded breast cancer tissue are largely comparable to fresh frozen matched tissueLorenza Mittempergher
Divisions of Experimental Therapy, Molecular Biology, Surgical Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e17163. 2011..To this end we profiled, in duplicate, 20 FFPE tissues and 20 matched FF tissues and evaluated the concordance of the DASL results from FFPE and matched FF material...
- Dried tube specimens: a simple and cost-effective method for preparation of HIV proficiency testing panels and quality control materials for use in resource-limited settingsBharat S Parekh
International Laboratory Branch, Division of Global AIDS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30345, USA
J Virol Methods 163:295-300. 2010..Traditional PT programs and quality control reagents use serum or plasma specimens requiring stringent conditions for storage and transportation...
- Quantitative expression profiling in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded samples by affymetrix microarraysDiana Abdueva
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Research Institute and Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Mol Diagn 12:409-17. 2010..This study provides guidelines for application of these methods in the discovery, validation, and clinical application of microarray expression profiling with FFPE material...
- Protein extraction from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections: quality evaluation by mass spectrometryShan Rong Shi
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine HMR 204, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 54:739-43. 2006....
- k-Nearest neighbor models for microarray gene expression analysis and clinical outcome predictionR M Parry
Biomedical Engineering Department, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Pharmacogenomics J 10:292-309. 2010..appealing, large performance variations were found among experienced data analysis teams in the MicroArray Quality Control Phase II (MAQC-II) project...
- Comparison of three management strategies for patients with atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance: baseline results from a randomized trialD Solomon
Breast and Gynecologic Cancer Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:293-9. 2001..Effective colposcopy triage strategies are needed to identify the minority of women who have clinically significant disease while avoiding excessive follow-up evaluation for others...
- The World Health Organization African region laboratory accreditation process: improving the quality of laboratory systems in the African regionGuy Michel Gershy-Damet
Regional Program on AIDS, Inter Country Support Team West Africa, World Health Organization Regional Office for Africa, Ouagadougou 03, Burkina Faso
Am J Clin Pathol 134:393-400. 2010..We believe that the WHO-AFRO approach for laboratory accreditation is affordable, sustainable, effective, and scalable...
- Online verification of human cell line identity by STR DNA typingWilhelm G Dirks
DSMZ Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen, Braunschweig, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 731:45-55. 2011..nibio.go.jp/cellbank_e.html , http://www.dsmz.de/STRanalysis ). The following sections describe a rapid, practical, inexpensive, and reliable method available to students, technicians, and scientists...
- Effect of open peer review on quality of reviews and on reviewers' recommendations: a randomised trialS van Rooyen
BMJ Editorial, BMA House, London WC1H 9JR, UK
BMJ 318:23-7. 1999..To examine the effect on peer review of asking reviewers to have their identity revealed to the authors of the paper...
- ROBBINS Glycosylation and Glycosidases-Cell and Molecular BiologyPhillips W Robbins; Fiscal Year: 2010..while the truncated N-glycan precursors of Entamoeba and Trichomonas are sufficient for N- glycan-dependent quality control (QC) of protein folding, N-glycan-dependent QC is absent from Giardia and Plasmodium...
- Photonic Crystal Surfaces for Label-Free Detection and Fluorescence AmplificationLILA OTT VODKIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..we describe how replacement of the glass surface with a special-purpose optical transducer can provide quality control information on the interspot and intraspot density of microarray spots that is currently completely lacking ..
- Photonic Crystal Surfaces for Label-Free Detection and Fluorescence AmplificationBrian Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2009..we describe how replacement of the glass surface with a special-purpose optical transducer can provide quality control information on the interspot and intraspot density of microarray spots that is currently completely lacking ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF PRE-MRNA SPLICINGADRIAN KRAINER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed studies are aimed at understanding basic cellular mechanisms of gene expression, and may provide the basis for developing or improving diagnostic tools and therapeutic agents for these diseases. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF PRE-MRNA SPLICINGADRIAN KRAINER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed studies are aimed at understanding basic cellular mechanisms of gene expression, and may provide the basis for developing or improving diagnostic tools and therapeutic agents for these diseases. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF AN IMPLANTABLE EMG MICRO-TELEMETERDAVID EDELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..e. wrist, thumb, fingers) could be accomplished if multiple sources of high quality control signals were available...
- DEVELOPMENT OF AN IMPLANTABLE EMG MICRO-TELEMETERDAVID EDELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. wrist, thumb, fingers) could be accomplished if multiple sources of high quality control signals were available...
- Replication of Association Signals Identified in Ulcerative Colitis GWASRichard H Duerr; Fiscal Year: 2010..ulcerative colitis GWAS using Illumina genotyping beadchip data from 977 cases and 2,122 controls that passed quality control and were matched, by gender and ancestry...
- Replication of Association Signals Identified in Ulcerative Colitis GWASRichard Duerr; Fiscal Year: 2009..ulcerative colitis GWAS using Illumina genotyping beadchip data from 977 cases and 2,122 controls that passed quality control and were matched, by gender and ancestry...
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF PRE-MRNA SPLICINGAdrian R Krainer; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies are aimed at understanding basic cellular mechanisms of gene expression, and may provide the basis for developing or improving diagnostic tools and therapeutic agents for these diseases. ..
- A Screen for Small Molecule Compounds that Inhibit Bacterial ToxinsDavid Haslam; Fiscal Year: 2007..This recently discovered pathway likely represents a recycling and cellular quality control mechanism that has as yet been poorly characterized...
- Proteasome, protein oxidation, and cardiomyocyte function.Xuejun Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Given the major role that proteasome plays in protein quality control and removal of oxidized/damaged proteins, it seems reasonable to suggest that one consequence of proteasome ..
- A Phase l Study of Pyrimethamine in patients with GM-2 GangliosidosisBijan Almassian; Fiscal Year: 2007..to obtain and/or retain its native 3-dimensional fold in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) where intracellular quality control is performed to retain and degrade defective enzymes...
- Autophagy and protein translation in neural function & neurodegenerationAlbert La Spada; Fiscal Year: 2009..autophagy maintains normal cellular function by degrading aggregate-prone proteins and by supporting protein quality control. Reduced TOR signaling, imposed by rapamycin or dietary restriction, can delay neurological disease onset and ..
- Autophagy and protein translation in neural function & neurodegenerationAlbert R La Spada; Fiscal Year: 2010..autophagy maintains normal cellular function by degrading aggregate-prone proteins and by supporting protein quality control. Reduced TOR signaling, imposed by rapamycin or dietary restriction, can delay neurological disease onset and ..
- Delayed Rectifier K Channel Biogenesis is Unveiled in Models of Long QT SyndromeBRIAN DELISLE; Fiscal Year: 2009..that hypothesis: The ER retention of LQT1 and LQT2 mutations is regulated by different components of cellular quality control, and Kv7.1 and Kv11.1 traffic in distinct vesicular transport pathways...
- Screening for Inhibitors of the Integrated Stress ResponseDavid Ron; Fiscal Year: 2007..the ER can have important pathophysiological consequences: For example, evidence suggests that loosening the quality control in the ER might allow mildly misfolded proteins that are otherwise functional to escape ER retention and ..
- Disruption of Cellular Messenger RNA Processing Events by the Kaposi's Sarcoma-AsBritt A Glaunsinger; Fiscal Year: 2010..the nascent hyperadenylated cellular mRNAs are not exported, and we predict they are destroyed by cellular quality control mechanisms...
- Neonatal Chest Phantom for Computed Radiography TestingSteven Don; Fiscal Year: 2006..to reduce the risk of induced malignancy from radiation exposure, In practice this requires a rigorous quality control process for clinical operations in radiology...
- TRANSIENT GLUCOSYLATION OF GLYCOPROTEINSArmando Parodi; Fiscal Year: 2009The quality control (QC) of glycoprotein folding in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) involves the interplay of a glucosyltransferase (GT) that only glycosylates not properly folded glycoprotein conformers, glucosidase II that removes ..
- PROTEIN QUALITY CONTROL IN THE ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUMKARL WITTRUP; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract]: Misfolded and unassembled proteins are retained in the endoplasmic reticulum via a process termed "quality control," ensuring that only native proteins are secreted to the extracellular space...
- The role of mitochondria-associated RING finger proteins in mitochondrial qualityMariusz Karbowski; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, despite their importance, the mechanisms of mitochondrial quality control, as well as the signaling mechanisms between mitochondria and other cell compartments, are largely unknown...
- TRANSIENT GLUCOSYLATION OF GLYCOPROTEINSArmando Parodi; Fiscal Year: 2007The quality control of glycoprotein folding in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) involves the interplay of a glucosyltransferase (GT) that only glycosylates not properly folded protein conformers, glucosidase lI (GII) that removes residues ..
- Metabolomics-Measured Urinary Metabolites, Diet & BP, 17 Population Samples: INTEJeremiah Stamler; Fiscal Year: 2007..2 from each of the 4, 680 participants plus 10% randomly selected, blinded split specimens for external quality control)...
- Metabolomics-Measured Urinary Metabolites, Diet & BP, 17 Population Samples: INTEJeremiah Stamler; Fiscal Year: 2010..2 from each of the 4, 680 participants plus 10% randomly selected, blinded split specimens for external quality control)...
- Metabolomics-Measured Urinary Metabolites, Diet & BP, 17 Population Samples: INTEJeremiah Stamler; Fiscal Year: 2009..2 from each of the 4, 680 participants plus 10% randomly selected, blinded split specimens for external quality control)...
- CELLULAR PROTEIN MATURATION AND DEGRADATIONDaniel Hebert; Fiscal Year: 2003The overall goal of this proposal is to understand the biological processes involved in the protein folding, quality control and degradation of the membrane glycoprotein tyrosinase...
- Role of ER-Localized Chaperones in Toxin PathogenesisDavid Haslam; Fiscal Year: 2006..This recently discovered pathway from the endoplasmic reticulum lumen to the cytoplasm represents a cellular quality control mechanism responsible for degrading host proteins that misfold in the ER lumen (termed ER-associated ..
- Quality Control of Protein TranslationA Wali Karzai; Fiscal Year: 2009..One of the most fascinating quality control mechanisms involves tmRNA, also known as SsrA or 10Sa RNA...
- CELLULAR PROTEIN MATURATION AND DEGRADATIONDaniel Hebert; Fiscal Year: 2007The overall goal of this proposal is to elucidate the role of N-linked glycans in the maturation and quality control of proteins that traverse the secretory pathway...
- Quality control mechanisms against misfolded rhodopsins in Drosophila.HYUNG D RYOO; Fiscal Year: 2010..As most cells have robust quality control mechanisms that can help eliminate such misfolded proteins from the ER, a better understanding of these ..
- TREATMENT OF PANIC DISORDER--LONG TERM STRATEGIESScott Woods; Fiscal Year: 2003..began somewhat later than we predicted because of rigorous attention to state-of-the-art assessment and quality control procedures. Careful thought about essential assessment domains appears to have been well worth the effort...
- TREATMENT OF PANIC DISORDER--LONG TERM STRATEGIESJack Gorman; Fiscal Year: 2003..began somewhat later than we predicted because of rigorous attention to state-of-the -art assessment and quality control procedures. Careful thought about essential assessment domains appears to have been well worth the effort...
- ABCA3 and the Response to Lung InjuryRASHMIN SAVANI; Fiscal Year: 2009..When this quality control system is overwhelmed, mutant protein accumulates in the ER and triggers the activation/expression of stress ..
- CYTOSOLIC GLYCOSYLATIONChristopher West; Fiscal Year: 2005..evidence for Skp 1-enzyme interactions, we hypothesize that the Skp1 modification pathway has chaperone/quality control activity that facilitates and monitors folding of Skp1 for entry into the SCF complex and ultimately the ..
- Glycosylation of Thrombospondin Type 1 RepeatsRobert S Haltiwanger; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent studies show that Pofutl is localized to the ER and may participate in quality control of EGF repeat folding...