Summary: Substances and materials manufactured for use in various technologies and industries and for domestic use.
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- The potential environmental impact of engineered nanomaterialsVicki L Colvin
Department of Chemistry, Center for Biological and Environmental Nanotechnology, MS 60 6100 Main Street, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, USA
Nat Biotechnol 21:1166-70. 2003..To date, few studies have investigated the toxicological and environmental effects of direct and indirect exposure to nanomaterials and no clear guidelines exist to quantify these effects...
- Double Dirac cones in triangular-lattice metamaterialsKazuaki Sakoda
Photonic Materials Unit, National Institute for Materials Science, 1 1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0044, Japan
Opt Express 20:9925-39. 2012..To the best of the author's knowledge, this is the first prediction of the presence of a double Dirac cone in metamaterials...
- Tuning of superconducting niobium nitride terahertz metamaterialsJingbo Wu
Research Institute of Superconductor Electronics, School of Electronic Science and Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Opt Express 19:12021-6. 2011..We have found that, as the resonance frequency approaches f(g), the relative tuning range of MMs is quite wide (30%). We attribute this observation to the large change of kinetic inductance of superconducting film...
- Biphasic calcium phosphate nanocomposite porous scaffolds for load-bearing bone tissue engineeringHassna R R Ramay
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Biomaterials 25:5171-80. 2004..8 +/- 0.3 MPa, comparable to the high-end value (2-10 MPa) of cancellous bone. The toughness of the scaffold increased from 1.00+/-0.04 to 1.72+/-0.02 kN/m, as the concentration of HA nanofibers increased from 0 to 5 wt %...
- A possible route to large-scale production of SWNTs through a combination of the substrate and floating catalyst methodsM Endo
Faculty of Engineering, Shinshu University, 4 17 1 Wakasato, Nagano shi, 380 8553, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:132-5. 2004..The SWNTs obtained by this method exhibit large variations of texture (isolated tubes and bundles) and a wide range of diameters (0.4-4 nm)...
- Dip-pen nanolithography with poly(diallyl dimethyl ammonium) chlorideBumsu Kim
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:221-5. 2004..At the same scan rate, widths and heights of patterning decreased with increasing PDAC molecular weight. The dependence of line width on inverse writing speed was found to be consistent with a modified diffusion model...
- A two-step sol-gel method for synthesis of nanoporous TiO2I Kartini
Nanomaterials Centre, School of Engineering, University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:270-4. 2004..8 m2/g) and large pore volume (0.17 cm3/g) with uniform mesopores. These materials are envisaged to be used as precursors for mesoporous titania films as a wide band gap semiconductor in dye-sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cells...
- ZnO nanocrystals synthesized by physical vapor depositionHansoo Kim
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:275-8. 2004..The values for the thickness of ZnO sheets are scattered, averaging 100 nm. The tetrapods may have a different number of projections radiating from one central node...
- Electrochemical epitaxial polymerization of single-molecular wiresHiroshi Sakaguchi
Research Institute of Electronics, Shizuoka University, Johoku, Hamamatsu 432 8011, Japan
Nat Mater 3:551-7. 2004..The results may also open the door to mass-production of molecular-scale devices based on conjugated polymers...
- Contact-damage-resistant ceramic/single-wall carbon nanotubes and ceramic/graphite compositesXiaotong Wang
Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Institute of Materials Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269 3136, USA
Nat Mater 3:539-44. 2004..These composites may find use in engineering and biomedical applications where contact loading is important...
- Polymer-assisted deposition of metal-oxide filmsQ X Jia
Superconductivity Technology Center, Division of Materials Science and Technology, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
Nat Mater 3:529-32. 2004..The latter feature makes it possible to grow simple and complex crack-free epitaxial metal-oxides...
- Self-assembly of a silica-surfactant nanocomposite in a porous alumina membraneAkira Yamaguchi
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Nat Mater 3:337-41. 2004..Our proposed membrane system has a potential use not only for separation science, but also catalysis and chip technologies...
- Processing, annealing and sterilisation of poly-L-lactideN A Weir
School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Queen s University Belfast, Ashby Building, Stranmillis Road, Belfast BT9 5AH, UK
Biomaterials 25:3939-49. 2004..The results from this investigation suggest that PLLA is sensitive to processing and sterilisation, altering properties critical to its degradation rate...
- Novel polyphosphazene-hydroxyapatite composites as biomaterialsA M Ambrosio
Pennsylvania State University, USA
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 22:18-26. 2003
- Preparation and characteristics of hybrid scaffolds composed of beta-chitin and collagenSang Bong Lee
School of Chemical Engineering, College of Engineering, Hanyang University, Haengdang dong, Seungdong ku, Seoul 133 791, South Korea
Biomaterials 25:2309-17. 2004..After 14 days, the fibroblasts showed a good affinity to and proliferation on all collagen-coated chitins...
- Injectable self-curing bioactive acrylic-glass composites charged with specific anti-inflammatory/analgesic agentJ A Mendez
Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnologi a de Poli meros, CSIC, Macromolecular Chemistry, c Juan de la Cierva, 3 28006, Madrid, Spain
Biomaterials 25:2381-92. 2004..The response to cements prepared with bioactive glasses and fosfosal showed a mild inflammatory reaction with the formation of the typical fibrous capsule around the implanted material...
- Synthesis of bioactive organic-inorganic nanohybrid for bone repair through sol-gel processingToshiki Miyazaki
Graduate School of Life Science and Systems Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Fukuoka 808 0196, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:511-5. 2003..Such nanohybrids have potential as novel bone substitutes with both high bioactivity and high flexibility...
- Enhanced mechanical properties of polyacrylonitrile/multiwall carbon nanotube composite fibersM C Weisenberger
University of Kentucky Center for Applied Energy Research, Lexington, Kentucky 40511, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:535-9. 2003....
- Formation of carbon nanotubes without iron inclusion and their alignment through ferrocene and ferrocene-ethylene pyrolysisKalpana Awasthi
Department of Physics, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:540-4. 2003..These carbon nanotubes have been found to have an outer diameter between approximately 20 and 60 nm and lengths between approximately 15 and 20 microns...
- Fabrication of low temperature macroporous hydroxyapatite scaffolds by foaming and hydrolysis of an alpha-TCP pasteA Almirall
Biomaterials Division, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Biomedical Engineering Research Centre, Technical University of Catalonia UPC, Av Diagonal 647, E08028 Barcelona, Spain
Biomaterials 25:3671-80. 2004..It was shown that it was possible to control the porosity, and pore size and shape by different processing parameters such as the liquid-to-powder ratio, the concentration of the H2O2 solution and the particle size of the powder...
- Bioresorbable composite bone paste using polysaccharide based nano hydroxyapatiteR Murugan
Nanobioengineering Laboratory, Division of Bioengineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, NUS Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Initiative, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Biomaterials 25:3829-35. 2004..These findings suggest that the HA/chitosan composites may have a great impact on human health care systems as bioresorbable bone substitute...
- Feasibility of knitted carbon/PEEK composites for orthopedic bone platesK Fujihara
Division of Bioengineering, The National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Biomaterials 25:3877-85. 2004..2mm thickness can be suitable for forearm or humerus treatment especially when damaged bones need higher deformation to encourage bone ossification...
- Self-assembled single-crystal ferromagnetic iron nanowires formed by decompositionL Mohaddes-Ardabili
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Nat Mater 3:533-8. 2004..The high magnetization and sizable coercivity of the nanowires make them desirable for high-density data storage and other magnetic-device applications...
- Crystallographic alignment of high-density gallium nitride nanowire arraysTevye Kuykendall
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nat Mater 3:524-8. 2004..The MOCVD process is entirely compatible with the current GaN thin-film technology, which would lead to easy scale-up and device integration...
- Control of cellular organization in three dimensions using a microfabricated polydimethylsiloxane-collagen composite tissue scaffoldJames J Norman
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston University, MA 02215, USA
Tissue Eng 11:378-86. 2005..2 degrees in controls. The morphology of the cells was also affected by the PDMS scaffold. The nuclei were longer (1.25x) and thinner (0.75x) than in control gels; however, no changes in diameter of the cells in the z direction were seen...
- Fabrication of implantable microelectrode arrays by laser cutting of silicone rubber and platinum foilM Schuettler
Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, University College London, Implanted Devices Group, Malet Place Engineering Building, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Neural Eng 2:S121-8. 2005..The method does not require expensive clean room facilities and offers an extremely short design-to-prototype time of below 1 day. First prototypes demonstrate a minimal achievable feature size of about 30 microm...
- Preparation of gamma-PGA/chitosan composite tissue engineering matricesChien Yang Hsieh
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan, ROC
Biomaterials 26:5617-23. 2005..In summary, the gamma-PGA/chitosan composite matrices, due to their better hydrophilic, cytocompatible, and mechanical properties, are very promising biomaterials for tissue engineering applications...
- Photomechanical actuation in polymer-nanotube compositesSamit V Ahir
Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 0HE, UK
Nat Mater 4:491-5. 2005..It is thought that no other materials can display this continuously reversible response of so large a magnitude, making rubber nanocomposites important for actuator applications...
- Near net-shape fabrication of hydroxyapatite glass compositesQingshan Zhu
Multiphase Reaction Lab, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, PO Box 353, Beijing 100080, People s Republic of China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:1187-91. 2004..1%. Preliminary mechanical tests showed that the fracture strength and toughness of the infiltrated HA/glass composite are comparable with dense HA...
- Effect of filling on the compressibility of carbon nanotubes: predictions from molecular dynamics simulationsHeather Trotter
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 5:536-41. 2005..The mechanical response of the nanowire filled CNT is remarkably similar to the response of the similarly sized multiwalled CNT...
- Structure and growth mechanism study of Wurtzite CdSe nanorods grown by solvothermal techniquesU Pal
Instituto de Fisica, Universidad Autonoma de Puebla, Apdo Postal J 48, Puebla, Pue 72570, Mexico
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 5:609-14. 2005..The size, shape and strain structures in the nanorods are defined by their growth mechanism...
- Novel biodegradable films and scaffolds of chitosan blended with poly(3-hydroxybutyrate)Wenling Cao
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 16:1379-94. 2005..These advantageous properties indicate that the blended chitosan/PHB material is promising for tissue engineering applications...
- Preparation and characterization of porous beta-tricalcium phosphate/collagen composites with an integrated structureChao Zou
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Biomaterials 26:5276-84. 2005....
- Free-form fabrication and micro-CT characterization of poly-epsilon-caprolactone tissue scaffoldsAndrew L Darling
Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics Department, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 24:78-83. 2005
- Guided bone regeneration membrane made of polycaprolactone/calcium carbonate composite nano-fibersK Fujihara
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576
Biomaterials 26:4139-47. 2005..Because of good cell attachment manner, there is a potential to utilize PCL/CaCO3 composite nano-fibers to GBR membranes...
- Nanoceramic composites: tough to testBrian W Sheldon
Nat Mater 3:505-6. 2004
- Subwavelength-scale tailoring of surface phonon polaritons by focused ion-beam implantationN Ocelic
Nano Photonics Group, Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Nat Mater 3:606-9. 2004..The near-field images also demonstrate nanometre-scale resolved infrared mapping of crystal quality useful in semiconductor processing or crystal growth...
- Mechanical and biological properties of hydroxyapatite reinforced with 40 vol. % titanium particles for use as hard tissue replacementChenglin Chu
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing 210018, China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:665-70. 2004..Ti composite has excellent biocompatibility and could integrate with bone. In the early stage after the implantation of the samples, the osteointegration ability of the composite is better than that of pure titanium...
- The effect of hot pressing on the physical properties of glass reinforced hydroxyapatiteG Georgiou
Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, London, WC1X 8LD, UK
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:705-10. 2004..It must be brought to attention that densification of hot pressed HA and GR-HA composites is reached at a lower temperature compared to a previous study on the same materials that have undergone pressureless sintering...
- Preparation and characterization of macroporous chitosan/wollastonite composite scaffolds for tissue engineeringLi Zhao
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Research Center, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1295 Dingxi Road, Shanghai 200050, P R China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:625-9. 2004..The macroporous chitosan/wollastonite scaffolds may be a potential candidate for application in tissue engineering...
- Acetylcholinesterase-based biosensor electrodes for organophosphate pesticide detection. I. Modification of carbon surface for immobilization of acetylcholinesteraseA Vakurov
School of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Biosens Bioelectron 20:1118-25. 2004..The detection limit of the biosensors produced by non-covalent immobilization of acetylcholinesterase onto polyethyleneimine modified carbon electrodes was found to be about 10(-10) M for the organophosphate pesticide dichlorvos...
- A composite coating by electrolysis-induced collagen self-assembly and calcium phosphate mineralizationYuwei Fan
Department of Materials Engineering, The University of British Columbia, 309 6350 Stores Road, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Biomaterials 26:1623-32. 2005..The results not only provide a novel bioactive coating for biomedical implants, but also establish a new experimental protocol for studying biomineralization mechanisms of collagen based biological tissues...
- Effect of glass composition on the degradation properties and ion release characteristics of phosphate glass--polycaprolactone compositesRoopa L Prabhakar
Division of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Biomaterials 26:2209-18. 2005..To summarise, these results show that by combining phosphate glasses with biodegradable polymer, it is possible to create composites whose rate of degradation can be controlled to meet the needs of their end application...
- Manufacturing of an absorbing filter controlled with a broadband optical monitoringBruno Badoil
Laboratoire Institut Fresnel, Universite Paul Cezanne, 13388 Marseille cedex 20, France
Opt Express 16:12008-17. 2008..This method has potential for thin metallic layers coatings. We then describe layer after layer the strategy for the control and manufacturing of a filter with given colorimetric properties...
- Studies of the optical properties of metal-pliable polymer composite materialsKathleen S Giesfeldt
Department of Chemistry, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 1600, USA
Appl Spectrosc 57:1346-52. 2003..Sample Raman spectral data collected with the composite as a SERS substrate are included. A practical technological characteristic of these composite materials arises from their potential to be molded into functional devices...
- Study on physical properties and nerve cell affinity of composite films from chitosan and gelatin solutionsMingyu Cheng
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Biomaterials 24:2871-80. 2003..The results suggest that the soft and elastic complex of chitosan and gelatin, which has better nerve cell affinity compared to chitosan, is a promising candidate biomaterial for nerve regeneration...
- A reversible copper extrusion-insertion electrode for rechargeable Li batteriesM Morcrette
LRCS, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, 33 rue Saint Leu, 80039, Amiens, France
Nat Mater 2:755-61. 2003..Fully reversible displacement reactions could provide a new direction for developing an alternative class of higher energy density Li storage electrodes...
- Wear performance of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene/quartz compositesX L Xie
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Biomaterials 24:1889-96. 2003..At about 0.5phr organsiloxane while the degree of crystallinity of the composite is at the peak value of 57%, the mechanical properties and the wear resistance of UHMWPE/quartz composites reaches their maximum...
- Nanostructured Ti-based multi-component alloys with potential for biomedical applicationsG He
IFW Dresden, Institut für Metallische Werkstoffe, Postfach 270016, Dresden D 01171, Germany
Biomaterials 24:5115-20. 2003..The combination of high strength and low elastic modulus offers potential advantages in biomedical applications...
- Nanoindentation properties of compression-moulded ultra-high molecular weight polyethyleneS P Ho
Department of Preventative and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 217:357-66. 2003..Additionally, it was concluded that the nanomechanical response of material with higher percentage crystallinity (67 per cent) was predominantly determined by the crystalline regions within the semi-crystalline UHMWPE nanostructure...
- Microstructure and mechanical properties of plasma sprayed HA/YSZ/Ti-6Al-4V composite coatingsK A Khor
School of Mechanical and Production Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Nanyang Ave, Singapore 639798, Singapore
Biomaterials 25:4009-17. 2004....
- Preparation of hydroxyapatite-gelatin nanocompositeMyung Chul Chang
MDRCBB, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, 16 280 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware S E Minneapolis, MN 55455 0329, USA
Biomaterials 24:2853-62. 2003..This in turn will lead to the creation of a large number of tiny nanocrystals at this higher GEL concentration...
- Mechanical and magnetic properties of nickel-dispersed tetragonal zirconia nanocompositesH Kondo
Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, 8 1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2:485-90. 2002..A new function arising from magnetomechanical effects of metallic Ni is also discussed for the present nanocomposites...
- Physical and biological evaluations of sintered hydroxyapatite/silicone composite with covalent bonding for a percutaneous implant materialTsutomu Furuzono
Department of Bioengineering, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, 5 7 1 Fujishiro dai, Suita, Osaka 565 8565, Japan
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 65:217-26. 2003..HA-particle coating on silicone with covalent linkage gave the inert surface bioactivity. The HA composite thus effectively prevents germ infection percutaneously...
- Nanostructured artificial nacreZhiyong Tang
Department of Chemistry, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078, USA
Nat Mater 2:413-8. 2003..Structural and functional resemblance makes clay- polyelectrolyte multilayers a close replica of natural biocomposites. Their nanoscale nature enables elucidation of molecular processes occurring under stress...
- Tensile properties, tension-tension fatigue and biological response of polyetheretherketone-hydroxyapatite composites for load-bearing orthopedic implantsM S Abu Bakar
Biomedical Engineering Research Center, Nanyang Technological University, Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798, Singapore
Biomaterials 24:2245-50. 2003..The biological responses of PEEK-HA composites carried out in vivo verified the biocompatibility and bioactive nature of the composite materials...
- Preparation and characterization of biodegradable chitosan/hydroxyapatite nanocomposite rods via in situ hybridization: a potential material as internal fixation of bone fractureQiaoling Hu
Institute of Polymer Composites, Zhejiang University, 310027 Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
Biomaterials 25:779-85. 2004..The phenomenon can be predicted with the fit exponential function according the data measured...
- Encapsulation and exfoliation of inorganic lamellar fillers into polycaprolactone by electrospinningValentina Romeo
Chemical and Food Engineering Department, Salerno University, Via Don Melillo, 84084, Fisciano Sa Italy
Biomacromolecules 8:3147-52. 2007..The structural parameters, such as degradation temperature and crystallinity, were investigated for all the samples and correlated with the electrospinning process...
- Mechanical properties of glass-ceramic A-W-polyethylene composites: effect of filler content and particle sizeJ A Juhasz
Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3QZ, UK
Biomaterials 25:949-55. 2004..A transition in fracture behaviour from ductile to brittle behaviour was observed in samples containing between 30 and 40 vol% filler...
- Altered responses of chondrocytes to nanophase PLGA/nanophase titania compositesJennifer K Savaiano
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, 1296 Potter Eng Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1296, USA
Biomaterials 25:1205-13. 2004....
- SEM-EDS analysis and discrimination of forensic soilSalih Cengiz
Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 141:33-7. 2004..It also includes the detection of such manufactured materials such as ions from synthetic fertilizers and from different environments (e.g...
- LCA comparison of container systems in municipal solid waste managementJesús Rives
SosteniPrA UAB IRTA, Institute of Environmental Science and Technology ICTA, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona UAB, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Waste Manag 30:949-57. 2010..factors such as the volume of the containers, from small bins of 60-80l to containers of 2400l, and on the manufactured materials, steel and high-density polyethylene (HDPE)...
- Nanotechnology: the coming revolution and its implications for consumers, clinicians, and informaticsNancy Staggers
Informatics Program, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Nurs Outlook 56:268-74. 2008Nanotechnology promises to revolutionize manufactured materials as we know them, creating a vast array of new products, drug delivery devices, and monitoring mechanisms. The promise of these products and devices is tremendous...
- Nanofiber applications for burn careMichael Hromadka
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
J Burn Care Res 29:695-703. 2008Nanotechnology is a growing field of manufactured materials with sizes less than 1 mum, and it is particularly useful in the field of medicine because these applications replicate components of a cell's in vivo environment...
- Quantification of allergenic urushiols in extracts of Ginkgo biloba leaves, in simple one-step extracts and refined manufactured material (EGb 761)Karl Schötz
Dr Willmar Schwabe Arzneimittel, Phytochemical Department, Willmar Schwabe Str 4, D 76227 Karlsruhe, Germany
Phytochem Anal 15:1-8. 2004..available for the identification and quantification of these allergens at extremely low levels in refined manufactured materials. GC-MS analysis of samples collected at various stages during the production process of a standardised ..
- In vitro versus in vivo concordance: a case study of the replacement of an animal potency test with an immunochemical assayT Schofield
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Dev Biol (Basel) 111:299-304. 2002..Based on measurements made on manufactured materials, combined with experiments contrived to yield a wide range of reactivity in the two assays, concordance ..
- Visual field magnification and touch perception when exploring surfaces with the index finger and a rigid instrumentDavid Gonzalez
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hum Factors 49:679-87. 2007..The aim of this project was to compare texture discrimination when both touch and vision were perturbed...
- Bone engineering: combining smart biomaterials and the application of stem cellsSarah Lechner
University of Munich, Klinikum Starnberg Teaching Hospital, Department of Surgery, Starnberg, Germany
Artif Organs 30:770-4. 2006..model, using bone marrow and peripheral blood-derived murine progenitor cells as well as industrially manufactured materials generating composite grafts...
- ATR-FTIR spectroscopy as a way to identify natural protein-based materials, tortoiseshell and horn, from their protein-based imitation, galalithCéline Paris
Laboratoire de Dynamique, Interaction et Réactivité, CNRS UPMC 2 rue Henri Dunant, F 94320 Thiais, France
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 62:532-8. 2005..This differentiation is applicable to both raw and manufactured materials. Then, we applied our models to identify what unknown object was made of.
- Prediction of metal precipitates in tannery sludge leachate based on thermodynamic calculationsS B Shen
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique (INRS-Eau, , Sainte-Foy, Canada
Environ Technol 22:961-70. 2001..2H2O(gypsum). The solubility of these precipitates was found to decrease with the increase in the ionic strength (or sludge solids concentration). The results of computations were supported by the experimental observations...
- Neutron shielding material based on colemanite and epoxy resinKoichi Okuno
Technical Research Institute, Hazama Corporation, 515 1 Karima, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki Ken, 305 0822, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 115:258-61. 2005..The results show that the shielding performance is better than concrete and polyethylene mixed with 10 wt% boron oxide. From the result, we confirmed that the performance of the new material is suitable for practical use...
- Biocomposites from abaca strands and polypropylene. Part I: Evaluation of the tensile propertiesFabiola Vilaseca
Grup Lepamap, Departament d Enginyeria Química Agrària i Tecnologia Agroalimentària, Universitat de Girona, Campus Montilivi s n, 17071 Girona, Spain
Bioresour Technol 101:387-95. 2010..The mechanical improvement was compared to that obtained for fiberglass-reinforced PP composites and evaluated under an economical and technical point of view...
- Self-collimation and focusing effects in zero-average index metamaterialsRémi Pollès
LASMEA UMR CNRS 6602 Université Clermont Ferrand II, Aubiere, France
Opt Express 19:6149-54. 2011..This beam shaping is explained in the framework of a beam propagation model by introducing an harmonic average index parameter...
- Active tuning of mid-infrared metamaterials by electrical control of carrier densitiesYoung Chul Jun
Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies CINT, Sandia National Laboratories, PAlbuquerque, New Mexico 87185, USA
Opt Express 20:1903-11. 2012..This electrical tuning is generally applicable to a variety of infrared metamaterials and plasmonic structures, which can find novel applications in chip-scale active infrared devices...
- Evaluation of the protective effectiveness of gloves from occupational exposure to 2-methoxyethanol using the biomarkers of 2-methoxyacetic acid levels in the urine and plasmaH Y Chang
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Occup Environ Med 61:697-702. 2004....
- Stabilization of phosphogypsum using class C fly ash and lime: assessment of the potential for marine applicationsKelly A Rusch
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
J Hazard Mater 93:167-86. 2002..Development of the ruptures in the composites must be considered when the composites are used for aquatic applications...
- Experimental demonstration of tunable phase in a thermochromic infrared-reflectarray metamaterialD J Shelton
CREOL, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816 2700, USA
Opt Express 18:1330-5. 2010..2 to 11.2 mum as the sample is heated from 45 through 65 degrees C. These results are in agreement with finite-element method simulations using the optical properties of VO(2) which are measured by infrared ellipsometry...
- Electrophoresis microchip fabricated by a direct-printing process with end-channel amperometric detectionWendell K Tomazelli Coltro
Instituto de Quimica de Sao Carlos, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Carlos SP, Brazil
Electrophoresis 25:3832-9. 2004..The performance of this device was evaluated by amperometric detection of iodide and ascorbate. The detection limits found were 500 nmol.L(-1) (135 amol) and 1.8 micromol.L(-1) (486 amol) for iodide and ascorbate, respectively...
- Micro-machiningEkkard Brinksmeier
Laboratory for Precision Machining, University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 370:3973-92. 2012..In this paper, we will outline the development of precision engineering, highlight modern achievements of ultra-precision machining and discuss the necessity of a deeper physical understanding of micro-machining...
- J. M. Despréaux' lichens from the Canary Islands and West Africa: an account of a 19th century collection found in an English archiveBegoña Aguirre-Hudson
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK
Bot J Linn Soc 166:185-211. 2011..The herbarium also includes authentic material of "Parmotrema tinctorum" and a probable syntype of "Seirophora scorigena". Most of these species are known as a source of the purple dye orchil, which was used to dye silk and wool...
- Sorption mechanisms of zinc to calcium silicate hydrate: X-ray absorption fine structure (XAFS) investigationF Ziegler
Department of Resource and Waste Management, Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Dubendorf
Environ Sci Technol 35:1550-5. 2001..Previous work has been able to show that Zn(II) diffuses into the C-S-H(I) particles and does not form discrete precipitates, so the findings appear to confirm the incorporation of Zn(II) in the interlayer of C-S-H(I)...
- Fishnet metamaterials--rules for refraction and limits of homogenizationL Jelinek
Department of Electromagnetic Field, Czech Technical University in Prague, 16627 Prague, Czech Republic
Opt Express 18:17940-9. 2010..Finally, possible homogenization of the fishnet metamaterial is considered, showing that only for small angles of incidence and in the immediate vicinity of Wood's anomaly can the fishnet be seen as homogenizable uniaxial medium...
- Non-covalent side-chain polymers: design principles, functionalization strategies, and perspectivesJoel M Pollino
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0400, USA
Chem Soc Rev 34:193-207. 2005..This tutorial review describes recent advances in the literature and establishes basic design principles and synthetic approaches towards the fabrication of supramolecular materials that are based on side-chain functionalized polymers...
- [Advance in detection methods of microbes on historic stones--a review]Miao Yu
National Key Subject of Microbiology, Department of Microbiology, College of Life Sciences, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 51:1447-53. 2011..The establishment of rapid detection of microorganisms on the historic stones is important to prevent corrosion caused by microorganisms and to protect our valuable cultural heritage...
- Evaluation of asbestos exposure within the automotive repair industry: a study involving removal of asbestos-containing body sealants and drive clutch replacementCharles L Blake
Bureau Veritas North America, Inc, Kennesaw, GA 30144, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 52:324-31. 2008..1f/cc. The airborne asbestos concentrations observed during the servicing of vintage vehicles with asbestos-containing seam sealant and clutches are comparable to levels reported for repair work involving brake components and gaskets...
- Persistent organic pollutants in cork used for production of wine stoppersV Mazzoleni
Istituto di Enologia e Ingegneria Alimentare, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Via Emilia Parmense, 84, 29100 Piacenza, Italy
Chemosphere 58:1547-52. 2005..It was not possible to find a significant correlation between POPs concentration and origin of cork. Globally, the detected amounts are consistent with values found in foods, so the investigated cork show a suitable hygienic quality...
- Shallow donors with high n-type electrical conductivity in homoepitaxial deuterated boron-doped diamond layersZéphirin Teukam
Laboratoire de Physique des Solides et de Cristallogénèse, UMR CNRS 8635, 1 place A Briand, 92195 Meudon Cedex, France
Nat Mater 2:482-6. 2003..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time such an effect has been observed in an elemental semiconductor...
- Fundamental modal properties of SRR metamaterials and metamaterial based waveguiding structuresRui Yang
National Laboratory of Antennas and Microwave Technology, Xidian University, Xi an 710071
Opt Express 17:6101-17. 2009..Fortunately, for other modes, leakage can be reduced due to the magnetoelectric coupling. When the metamaterials are of single negative parameters, leakage elimination can be achieved...
- Sharp Fano resonances in THz metamaterialsRanjan Singh
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078, USA
Opt Express 19:6312-9. 2011..Such sharp resonances could be exploited for biochemical sensing. Besides, the strong current oscillations excited at the Fano resonance frequency could lead to the design of novel terahertz narrow band emitters...
- Controlled assembly of preformed ceria nanocrystals into highly ordered 3D nanostructuresAtul S Deshpande
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Research Campus Golm, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Small 1:313-6. 2005
- Treating chemical mechanical polishing (CMP) wastewater by electro-coagulation-flotation process with surfactantC Y Hu
Graduate Institute of Environmental Engineering, National Taiwan University, Chou Shan Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan, ROC
J Hazard Mater 120:15-20. 2005..The residual turbidity and dissolved silicon dropped with the increase of charge loading. No CTAB pollution problem exists after the ECF process...
- An anisotropic negative refractive index medium operated at multiple-angle incidencesTien Chung Yang
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Tsing Hua University, 101, Sec 2, Kuang Fu Road, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan
Opt Express 17:24189-97. 2009....
- Asbestos exposure during routine brake lining manufactureHossein Kakooei
Department of Occupational Health, School of Public Health, Medical Science University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Ind Health 45:787-92. 2007..During an 8-h shift, the average asbestos fiber exposure (0.78 f/cc) were 7.8 time in excess of OSHA PEL. Additional studies in occupational exposure to asbestos are needed...
- Synthetic fuel for imitation of municipal solid waste in experimental studies of waste incinerationS S Thipse
Department of Mechanical Engineering, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark 07102-1982, USA
Chemosphere 44:1071-7. 2001..The predicted concentrations of carbon monoxide, nitric oxides, and oxygen in the combustion products are compared with the respective experimental concentrations in the pilot-scale incinerator exhaust...
- A (59)Co NMR study to observe the effects of ball milling on small ferromagnetic cobalt particlesR Speight
Department of Physics, University of Warwick, Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Solid State Nucl Magn Reson 35:67-73. 2009..The hcp+fcc-->hcp phase transition encouraged by ball-milling was observed and quantitative values for each Co environment were obtained...
- Material experiments: Environment and engineering institutions in the early American republicAnn Johnson
Department of History, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Osiris 24:53-74. 2009..As such, engineers' appreciation of natural bounty both emerged from and contributed to larger values about exceptionalism and the practical character of Americans...
- Rapid electrochemical genosensor assay using a streptavidin carbon-polymer biocomposite electrodeE Williams
Grup de Sensors i Biosensors, Departament de Quimica, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Catalonia, Spain
Biosens Bioelectron 19:165-75. 2003..This innovative developed material may be used for the detection of any analyte that can be coupled to the biotin-streptavidin reaction, as is the case of immunoassays...
- Characteristics of microfiber Fabry-Perot resonators fabricated by UV exposureJie Li
Institute of Photonics Technology, Jinan University, Guangzhou 510632, China
Opt Express 21:12111-21. 2013..The FP spectral dependencies on external strain, temperature, and refractive index are also investigated. Our fabricated structures can have potential of acting as photonic sensors or polarization related filters...
- Tailor the surface-wave properties of a plasmonic metal by a metamaterial cappingZhengyong Song
State Key Laboratory of Surface Physics and Physics Department, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
Opt Express 21:18178-87. 2013..Several potential applications of the proposed system are discussed in the end. ..
- OSHA compliance issues. Styrene overexposure in a bathtub manufacturing facilitySandra Swearngin
U S Department of Labor, OSHA, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 2:D82-6. 2005
- Genetic optimization of photonic crystal waveguide termination for both on-axis and off-axis highly efficient directional emissionLiyong Jiang
Department of Physics, Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Nanjing, China
Opt Express 17:10126-35. 2009..The interference of light emitted from the outlet of waveguide and surfaces modes in gratinglike surface is believed to account for the directional beaming effect in our designs...
- EVALUATING EXPOSURES UNDER OSHAS 1984 ETO STANDARDRobert Herrick; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Multiprojection optical diffusion tomographyVadim Markel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 3: To use the experimental device of the Specific Aim 2 to image a small animal, such as a laboratory mouse. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Arsenic Exposure and Bladder Cancer in MichiganJerome Nriagu; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- WORK RETIREMENT AND DRINKING AMONG BLUE COLLAR WORKERSSamuel Bacharach; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., isolation, stress, marginalization) and its effects on their drinking behavior, ..