Summary: Substances and materials manufactured for use in various technologies and industries and for domestic use.
Publications189 found, 100 shown here
- Double Dirac cones in triangular-lattice metamaterialsKazuaki Sakoda
Photonic Materials Unit, National Institute for Materials Science, 1 1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0044, Japan
Opt Express 20:9925-39. 2012..To the best of the author's knowledge, this is the first prediction of the presence of a double Dirac cone in metamaterials...
- Tuning of superconducting niobium nitride terahertz metamaterialsJingbo Wu
Research Institute of Superconductor Electronics, School of Electronic Science and Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Opt Express 19:12021-6. 2011..We have found that, as the resonance frequency approaches f(g), the relative tuning range of MMs is quite wide (30%). We attribute this observation to the large change of kinetic inductance of superconducting film...
- The potential environmental impact of engineered nanomaterialsVicki L Colvin
Department of Chemistry, Center for Biological and Environmental Nanotechnology, MS 60 6100 Main Street, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, USA
Nat Biotechnol 21:1166-70. 2003..To date, few studies have investigated the toxicological and environmental effects of direct and indirect exposure to nanomaterials and no clear guidelines exist to quantify these effects...
- Polymer-assisted deposition of metal-oxide filmsQ X Jia
Superconductivity Technology Center, Division of Materials Science and Technology, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
Nat Mater 3:529-32. 2004..The latter feature makes it possible to grow simple and complex crack-free epitaxial metal-oxides...
- Contact-damage-resistant ceramic/single-wall carbon nanotubes and ceramic/graphite compositesXiaotong Wang
Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Institute of Materials Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269 3136, USA
Nat Mater 3:539-44. 2004..These composites may find use in engineering and biomedical applications where contact loading is important...
- Self-assembled single-crystal ferromagnetic iron nanowires formed by decompositionL Mohaddes-Ardabili
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Nat Mater 3:533-8. 2004..The high magnetization and sizable coercivity of the nanowires make them desirable for high-density data storage and other magnetic-device applications...
- Electrochemical epitaxial polymerization of single-molecular wiresHiroshi Sakaguchi
Research Institute of Electronics, Shizuoka University, Johoku, Hamamatsu 432 8011, Japan
Nat Mater 3:551-7. 2004..The results may also open the door to mass-production of molecular-scale devices based on conjugated polymers...
- ZnO nanocrystals synthesized by physical vapor depositionHansoo Kim
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:275-8. 2004..The values for the thickness of ZnO sheets are scattered, averaging 100 nm. The tetrapods may have a different number of projections radiating from one central node...
- Crystallographic alignment of high-density gallium nitride nanowire arraysTevye Kuykendall
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nat Mater 3:524-8. 2004..The MOCVD process is entirely compatible with the current GaN thin-film technology, which would lead to easy scale-up and device integration...
- A two-step sol-gel method for synthesis of nanoporous TiO2I Kartini
Nanomaterials Centre, School of Engineering, University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:270-4. 2004..8 m2/g) and large pore volume (0.17 cm3/g) with uniform mesopores. These materials are envisaged to be used as precursors for mesoporous titania films as a wide band gap semiconductor in dye-sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cells...
- Dip-pen nanolithography with poly(diallyl dimethyl ammonium) chlorideBumsu Kim
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:221-5. 2004..At the same scan rate, widths and heights of patterning decreased with increasing PDAC molecular weight. The dependence of line width on inverse writing speed was found to be consistent with a modified diffusion model...
- A possible route to large-scale production of SWNTs through a combination of the substrate and floating catalyst methodsM Endo
Faculty of Engineering, Shinshu University, 4 17 1 Wakasato, Nagano shi, 380 8553, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 4:132-5. 2004..The SWNTs obtained by this method exhibit large variations of texture (isolated tubes and bundles) and a wide range of diameters (0.4-4 nm)...
- Biphasic calcium phosphate nanocomposite porous scaffolds for load-bearing bone tissue engineeringHassna R R Ramay
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Biomaterials 25:5171-80. 2004..8 +/- 0.3 MPa, comparable to the high-end value (2-10 MPa) of cancellous bone. The toughness of the scaffold increased from 1.00+/-0.04 to 1.72+/-0.02 kN/m, as the concentration of HA nanofibers increased from 0 to 5 wt %...
- Self-assembly of a silica-surfactant nanocomposite in a porous alumina membraneAkira Yamaguchi
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Nat Mater 3:337-41. 2004..Our proposed membrane system has a potential use not only for separation science, but also catalysis and chip technologies...
- Processing, annealing and sterilisation of poly-L-lactideN A Weir
School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Queen s University Belfast, Ashby Building, Stranmillis Road, Belfast BT9 5AH, UK
Biomaterials 25:3939-49. 2004..The results from this investigation suggest that PLLA is sensitive to processing and sterilisation, altering properties critical to its degradation rate...
- Feasibility of knitted carbon/PEEK composites for orthopedic bone platesK Fujihara
Division of Bioengineering, The National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Biomaterials 25:3877-85. 2004..2mm thickness can be suitable for forearm or humerus treatment especially when damaged bones need higher deformation to encourage bone ossification...
- Bioresorbable composite bone paste using polysaccharide based nano hydroxyapatiteR Murugan
Nanobioengineering Laboratory, Division of Bioengineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, NUS Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Initiative, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Biomaterials 25:3829-35. 2004..These findings suggest that the HA/chitosan composites may have a great impact on human health care systems as bioresorbable bone substitute...
- Fabrication of low temperature macroporous hydroxyapatite scaffolds by foaming and hydrolysis of an alpha-TCP pasteA Almirall
Biomaterials Division, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Biomedical Engineering Research Centre, Technical University of Catalonia UPC, Av Diagonal 647, E08028 Barcelona, Spain
Biomaterials 25:3671-80. 2004..It was shown that it was possible to control the porosity, and pore size and shape by different processing parameters such as the liquid-to-powder ratio, the concentration of the H2O2 solution and the particle size of the powder...
- Encapsulation and exfoliation of inorganic lamellar fillers into polycaprolactone by electrospinningValentina Romeo
Chemical and Food Engineering Department, Salerno University, Via Don Melillo, 84084, Fisciano Sa Italy
Biomacromolecules 8:3147-52. 2007..The structural parameters, such as degradation temperature and crystallinity, were investigated for all the samples and correlated with the electrospinning process...
- Nanoceramic composites: tough to testBrian W Sheldon
Nat Mater 3:505-6. 2004
- Subwavelength-scale tailoring of surface phonon polaritons by focused ion-beam implantationN Ocelic
Nano Photonics Group, Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Nat Mater 3:606-9. 2004..The near-field images also demonstrate nanometre-scale resolved infrared mapping of crystal quality useful in semiconductor processing or crystal growth...
- Near net-shape fabrication of hydroxyapatite glass compositesQingshan Zhu
Multiphase Reaction Lab, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, PO Box 353, Beijing 100080, People s Republic of China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:1187-91. 2004..1%. Preliminary mechanical tests showed that the fracture strength and toughness of the infiltrated HA/glass composite are comparable with dense HA...
- Photomechanical actuation in polymer-nanotube compositesSamit V Ahir
Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 0HE, UK
Nat Mater 4:491-5. 2005..It is thought that no other materials can display this continuously reversible response of so large a magnitude, making rubber nanocomposites important for actuator applications...
- Preparation of gamma-PGA/chitosan composite tissue engineering matricesChien Yang Hsieh
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan, ROC
Biomaterials 26:5617-23. 2005..In summary, the gamma-PGA/chitosan composite matrices, due to their better hydrophilic, cytocompatible, and mechanical properties, are very promising biomaterials for tissue engineering applications...
- Fabrication of implantable microelectrode arrays by laser cutting of silicone rubber and platinum foilM Schuettler
Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, University College London, Implanted Devices Group, Malet Place Engineering Building, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Neural Eng 2:S121-8. 2005..The method does not require expensive clean room facilities and offers an extremely short design-to-prototype time of below 1 day. First prototypes demonstrate a minimal achievable feature size of about 30 microm...
- Control of cellular organization in three dimensions using a microfabricated polydimethylsiloxane-collagen composite tissue scaffoldJames J Norman
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston University, MA 02215, USA
Tissue Eng 11:378-86. 2005..2 degrees in controls. The morphology of the cells was also affected by the PDMS scaffold. The nuclei were longer (1.25x) and thinner (0.75x) than in control gels; however, no changes in diameter of the cells in the z direction were seen...
- Preparation and characterization of porous beta-tricalcium phosphate/collagen composites with an integrated structureChao Zou
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Biomaterials 26:5276-84. 2005....
- Free-form fabrication and micro-CT characterization of poly-epsilon-caprolactone tissue scaffoldsAndrew L Darling
Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics Department, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 24:78-83. 2005
- Guided bone regeneration membrane made of polycaprolactone/calcium carbonate composite nano-fibersK Fujihara
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576
Biomaterials 26:4139-47. 2005..Because of good cell attachment manner, there is a potential to utilize PCL/CaCO3 composite nano-fibers to GBR membranes...
- Effect of glass composition on the degradation properties and ion release characteristics of phosphate glass--polycaprolactone compositesRoopa L Prabhakar
Division of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Biomaterials 26:2209-18. 2005..To summarise, these results show that by combining phosphate glasses with biodegradable polymer, it is possible to create composites whose rate of degradation can be controlled to meet the needs of their end application...
- A composite coating by electrolysis-induced collagen self-assembly and calcium phosphate mineralizationYuwei Fan
Department of Materials Engineering, The University of British Columbia, 309 6350 Stores Road, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Biomaterials 26:1623-32. 2005..The results not only provide a novel bioactive coating for biomedical implants, but also establish a new experimental protocol for studying biomineralization mechanisms of collagen based biological tissues...
- Acetylcholinesterase-based biosensor electrodes for organophosphate pesticide detection. I. Modification of carbon surface for immobilization of acetylcholinesteraseA Vakurov
School of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Biosens Bioelectron 20:1118-25. 2004..The detection limit of the biosensors produced by non-covalent immobilization of acetylcholinesterase onto polyethyleneimine modified carbon electrodes was found to be about 10(-10) M for the organophosphate pesticide dichlorvos...
- Preparation and characterization of macroporous chitosan/wollastonite composite scaffolds for tissue engineeringLi Zhao
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Research Center, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1295 Dingxi Road, Shanghai 200050, P R China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:625-9. 2004..The macroporous chitosan/wollastonite scaffolds may be a potential candidate for application in tissue engineering...
- The effect of hot pressing on the physical properties of glass reinforced hydroxyapatiteG Georgiou
Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, London, WC1X 8LD, UK
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:705-10. 2004..It must be brought to attention that densification of hot pressed HA and GR-HA composites is reached at a lower temperature compared to a previous study on the same materials that have undergone pressureless sintering...
- Mechanical and biological properties of hydroxyapatite reinforced with 40 vol. % titanium particles for use as hard tissue replacementChenglin Chu
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing 210018, China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:665-70. 2004..Ti composite has excellent biocompatibility and could integrate with bone. In the early stage after the implantation of the samples, the osteointegration ability of the composite is better than that of pure titanium...
- Effect of filling on the compressibility of carbon nanotubes: predictions from molecular dynamics simulationsHeather Trotter
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 5:536-41. 2005..The mechanical response of the nanowire filled CNT is remarkably similar to the response of the similarly sized multiwalled CNT...
- Manufacturing of an absorbing filter controlled with a broadband optical monitoringBruno Badoil
Laboratoire Institut Fresnel, Universite Paul Cezanne, 13388 Marseille cedex 20, France
Opt Express 16:12008-17. 2008..This method has potential for thin metallic layers coatings. We then describe layer after layer the strategy for the control and manufacturing of a filter with given colorimetric properties...
- Structure and growth mechanism study of Wurtzite CdSe nanorods grown by solvothermal techniquesU Pal
Instituto de Fisica, Universidad Autonoma de Puebla, Apdo Postal J 48, Puebla, Pue 72570, Mexico
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 5:609-14. 2005..The size, shape and strain structures in the nanorods are defined by their growth mechanism...
- Formation of carbon nanotubes without iron inclusion and their alignment through ferrocene and ferrocene-ethylene pyrolysisKalpana Awasthi
Department of Physics, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:540-4. 2003..These carbon nanotubes have been found to have an outer diameter between approximately 20 and 60 nm and lengths between approximately 15 and 20 microns...
- Enhanced mechanical properties of polyacrylonitrile/multiwall carbon nanotube composite fibersM C Weisenberger
University of Kentucky Center for Applied Energy Research, Lexington, Kentucky 40511, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:535-9. 2003....
- Synthesis of bioactive organic-inorganic nanohybrid for bone repair through sol-gel processingToshiki Miyazaki
Graduate School of Life Science and Systems Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Fukuoka 808 0196, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:511-5. 2003..Such nanohybrids have potential as novel bone substitutes with both high bioactivity and high flexibility...
- Altered responses of chondrocytes to nanophase PLGA/nanophase titania compositesJennifer K Savaiano
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, 1296 Potter Eng Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1296, USA
Biomaterials 25:1205-13. 2004....
- Novel biodegradable films and scaffolds of chitosan blended with poly(3-hydroxybutyrate)Wenling Cao
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 16:1379-94. 2005..These advantageous properties indicate that the blended chitosan/PHB material is promising for tissue engineering applications...
- Nanostructured artificial nacreZhiyong Tang
Department of Chemistry, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078, USA
Nat Mater 2:413-8. 2003..Structural and functional resemblance makes clay- polyelectrolyte multilayers a close replica of natural biocomposites. Their nanoscale nature enables elucidation of molecular processes occurring under stress...
- Mechanical and magnetic properties of nickel-dispersed tetragonal zirconia nanocompositesH Kondo
Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, 8 1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2:485-90. 2002..A new function arising from magnetomechanical effects of metallic Ni is also discussed for the present nanocomposites...
- Mechanical properties of glass-ceramic A-W-polyethylene composites: effect of filler content and particle sizeJ A Juhasz
Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3QZ, UK
Biomaterials 25:949-55. 2004..A transition in fracture behaviour from ductile to brittle behaviour was observed in samples containing between 30 and 40 vol% filler...
- Preparation and characterization of biodegradable chitosan/hydroxyapatite nanocomposite rods via in situ hybridization: a potential material as internal fixation of bone fractureQiaoling Hu
Institute of Polymer Composites, Zhejiang University, 310027 Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
Biomaterials 25:779-85. 2004..The phenomenon can be predicted with the fit exponential function according the data measured...
- Preparation of hydroxyapatite-gelatin nanocompositeMyung Chul Chang
MDRCBB, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, 16 280 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware S E Minneapolis, MN 55455 0329, USA
Biomaterials 24:2853-62. 2003..This in turn will lead to the creation of a large number of tiny nanocrystals at this higher GEL concentration...
- A reversible copper extrusion-insertion electrode for rechargeable Li batteriesM Morcrette
LRCS, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, 33 rue Saint Leu, 80039, Amiens, France
Nat Mater 2:755-61. 2003..Fully reversible displacement reactions could provide a new direction for developing an alternative class of higher energy density Li storage electrodes...
- Nanostructured Ti-based multi-component alloys with potential for biomedical applicationsG He
IFW Dresden, Institut für Metallische Werkstoffe, Postfach 270016, Dresden D 01171, Germany
Biomaterials 24:5115-20. 2003..The combination of high strength and low elastic modulus offers potential advantages in biomedical applications...
- Study on physical properties and nerve cell affinity of composite films from chitosan and gelatin solutionsMingyu Cheng
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Biomaterials 24:2871-80. 2003..The results suggest that the soft and elastic complex of chitosan and gelatin, which has better nerve cell affinity compared to chitosan, is a promising candidate biomaterial for nerve regeneration...
- Tensile properties, tension-tension fatigue and biological response of polyetheretherketone-hydroxyapatite composites for load-bearing orthopedic implantsM S Abu Bakar
Biomedical Engineering Research Center, Nanyang Technological University, Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798, Singapore
Biomaterials 24:2245-50. 2003..The biological responses of PEEK-HA composites carried out in vivo verified the biocompatibility and bioactive nature of the composite materials...
- Biodegradable polylactide/montmorillonite nanocompositesSuprakas Sinha Ray
Advanced Polymeric Materials Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Toyota Technological Institute, Nagoya 468 8511, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:503-10. 2003..All nanocomposites exhibited significant improvement in crystallization behavior, mechanical properties, flexural properties, heat distortion temperature, and O2 gas permeability when compared with pure PLA...
- Microstructure and mechanical properties of plasma sprayed HA/YSZ/Ti-6Al-4V composite coatingsK A Khor
School of Mechanical and Production Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Nanyang Ave, Singapore 639798, Singapore
Biomaterials 25:4009-17. 2004....
- Wear performance of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene/quartz compositesX L Xie
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Biomaterials 24:1889-96. 2003..At about 0.5phr organsiloxane while the degree of crystallinity of the composite is at the peak value of 57%, the mechanical properties and the wear resistance of UHMWPE/quartz composites reaches their maximum...
- Injectable self-curing bioactive acrylic-glass composites charged with specific anti-inflammatory/analgesic agentJ A Mendez
Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnologi a de Poli meros, CSIC, Macromolecular Chemistry, c Juan de la Cierva, 3 28006, Madrid, Spain
Biomaterials 25:2381-92. 2004..The response to cements prepared with bioactive glasses and fosfosal showed a mild inflammatory reaction with the formation of the typical fibrous capsule around the implanted material...
- Preparation and characteristics of hybrid scaffolds composed of beta-chitin and collagenSang Bong Lee
School of Chemical Engineering, College of Engineering, Hanyang University, Haengdang dong, Seungdong ku, Seoul 133 791, South Korea
Biomaterials 25:2309-17. 2004..After 14 days, the fibroblasts showed a good affinity to and proliferation on all collagen-coated chitins...
- Physical and biological evaluations of sintered hydroxyapatite/silicone composite with covalent bonding for a percutaneous implant materialTsutomu Furuzono
Department of Bioengineering, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, 5 7 1 Fujishiro dai, Suita, Osaka 565 8565, Japan
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 65:217-26. 2003..HA-particle coating on silicone with covalent linkage gave the inert surface bioactivity. The HA composite thus effectively prevents germ infection percutaneously...
- Novel polyphosphazene-hydroxyapatite composites as biomaterialsA M Ambrosio
Pennsylvania State University, USA
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 22:18-26. 2003
- Studies of the optical properties of metal-pliable polymer composite materialsKathleen S Giesfeldt
Department of Chemistry, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 1600, USA
Appl Spectrosc 57:1346-52. 2003..Sample Raman spectral data collected with the composite as a SERS substrate are included. A practical technological characteristic of these composite materials arises from their potential to be molded into functional devices...
- Nanoindentation properties of compression-moulded ultra-high molecular weight polyethyleneS P Ho
Department of Preventative and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 217:357-66. 2003..Additionally, it was concluded that the nanomechanical response of material with higher percentage crystallinity (67 per cent) was predominantly determined by the crystalline regions within the semi-crystalline UHMWPE nanostructure...
- SEM-EDS analysis and discrimination of forensic soilSalih Cengiz
Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 141:33-7. 2004..It also includes the detection of such manufactured materials such as ions from synthetic fertilizers and from different environments (e.g...
- LCA comparison of container systems in municipal solid waste managementJesús Rives
SosteniPrA UAB IRTA, Institute of Environmental Science and Technology ICTA, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona UAB, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Waste Manag 30:949-57. 2010..factors such as the volume of the containers, from small bins of 60-80l to containers of 2400l, and on the manufactured materials, steel and high-density polyethylene (HDPE)...
- Nanotechnology: the coming revolution and its implications for consumers, clinicians, and informaticsNancy Staggers
Informatics Program, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Nurs Outlook 56:268-74. 2008Nanotechnology promises to revolutionize manufactured materials as we know them, creating a vast array of new products, drug delivery devices, and monitoring mechanisms. The promise of these products and devices is tremendous...
- Nanofiber applications for burn careMichael Hromadka
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
J Burn Care Res 29:695-703. 2008Nanotechnology is a growing field of manufactured materials with sizes less than 1 mum, and it is particularly useful in the field of medicine because these applications replicate components of a cell's in vivo environment...
- In vitro versus in vivo concordance: a case study of the replacement of an animal potency test with an immunochemical assayT Schofield
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Dev Biol (Basel) 111:299-304. 2002..Based on measurements made on manufactured materials, combined with experiments contrived to yield a wide range of reactivity in the two assays, concordance ..
- Quantification of allergenic urushiols in extracts of Ginkgo biloba leaves, in simple one-step extracts and refined manufactured material (EGb 761)Karl Schötz
Dr Willmar Schwabe Arzneimittel, Phytochemical Department, Willmar Schwabe Str 4, D 76227 Karlsruhe, Germany
Phytochem Anal 15:1-8. 2004..available for the identification and quantification of these allergens at extremely low levels in refined manufactured materials. GC-MS analysis of samples collected at various stages during the production process of a standardised ..
- Visual field magnification and touch perception when exploring surfaces with the index finger and a rigid instrumentDavid Gonzalez
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hum Factors 49:679-87. 2007..The aim of this project was to compare texture discrimination when both touch and vision were perturbed...
- Bone engineering: combining smart biomaterials and the application of stem cellsSarah Lechner
University of Munich, Klinikum Starnberg Teaching Hospital, Department of Surgery, Starnberg, Germany
Artif Organs 30:770-4. 2006..model, using bone marrow and peripheral blood-derived murine progenitor cells as well as industrially manufactured materials generating composite grafts...
- ATR-FTIR spectroscopy as a way to identify natural protein-based materials, tortoiseshell and horn, from their protein-based imitation, galalithCéline Paris
Laboratoire de Dynamique, Interaction et Réactivité, CNRS UPMC 2 rue Henri Dunant, F 94320 Thiais, France
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 62:532-8. 2005..This differentiation is applicable to both raw and manufactured materials. Then, we applied our models to identify what unknown object was made of.
- A new class of electrically tunable metamaterial terahertz modulatorsRusen Yan
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Opt Express 20:28664-71. 2012....
- Mechanical characterization of injection-molded macro porous bioceramic bone scaffoldsJuan Vivanco
Materials Science Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 9:137-52. 2012..These findings support the development of clinically successful bioceramic scaffolds that may stimulate bone regeneration and scaffold integration while providing structural integrity...
- Transient wave propagation in the ring stiffened laminated composite cylindrical shells using the method of reverberation ray matrixChun Chuan Liu
P O Box 423, School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin 150001, People s Republic of China
J Acoust Soc Am 133:770-80. 2013..Furthermore, the influences of the ring stiffener number and impact load types on the early short time transient responses of the ring stiffened laminated cylindrical shells are also investigated...
- Ecotoxicity test methods for engineered nanomaterials: practical experiences and recommendations from the benchRichard D Handy
Ecotoxicology Research and Innovation Centre, School of Biomedical and Biological Sciences, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, UK
Environ Toxicol Chem 31:15-31. 2012..The existing bioaccumulation tests are conceptually flawed and require considerable modification, or a new test, to work for ENMs. Overall, most methodologies need some amendments, and recommendations are made to assist researchers...
- Giant topological insulator gap in graphene with 5d adatomsJun Hu
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Phys Rev Lett 109:266801. 2012..Realizing this potential will likely be facilitated by the discovery of new, easily manufactured materials in this class...
- Cellular effects of manufactured nanoparticles: effect of adsorption ability of nanoparticlesMasanori Horie
Institute of Industrial Ecological Sciences, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka, Japan
Arch Toxicol 87:771-81. 2013..The flow field-flow fractionation method is one of the efficient techniques for determining proteins on the surface of nanoparticles. The cellular effects caused by nanoparticles should be carefully considered...
- Luminescence properties, crystal structure and LED package of potential blue-emitting phosphors--Ca2BN2F:Eu2+Yi Chen Chiu
Material and Chemical Research Laboratories, ITRI, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan
Opt Express 20:27361-6. 2012..The preliminary data demonstrate that the novel blue-emitting phosphor exhibits the potential to be an n-UV convertible phosphor...
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy: how reliable is a homemade 1-g monofilament for screening?Matthew E Bourcier
Strelitz Diabetes Institutes, Department of Internal Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA, USA
J Fam Pract 55:505-8. 2006
- Nanotechnology: the next big thing, or much ado about nothing?Andrew D Maynard
Chief Science Advisor, Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington DC 20004 30275, USA
Ann Occup Hyg 51:1-12. 2007..However, with foresight, sound science and strategic research, we have the opportunity to ensure that emerging nanotechnologies are as safe as possible, while reaching their full potential...
- A new elastic-wave-based imaging method for scanning the defects inside the structureJian Hua Tong
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, HungKung University, Taichung 433, Taiwan, ROC
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 54:128-37. 2007..Both the results from the numerical simulations and the experimental tests indicate that this elastic-wave-based method exhibits high potential in inspecting the defects of in-situ concrete structures by imaging...
- Cleaning the medical electronic environment: how you can contributeDavid A Stiles
Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, CA, USA
Biomed Instrum Technol 41:453-4. 2007
- Perfectly matched layer absorption boundary condition in planewave based transfer-scattering matrix method for photonic crystal device simulationMing Li
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Opt Express 16:11548-54. 2008..The mode profile of one dimensional dielectric waveguide and the optical properties of sub-wavelength aluminum grating with semi-infinite substrate are studied to illustrate the accuracy and power of this approach...
- Protection from physical noxaeN Y Schurer
Department of Dermatology, Human Sciences, University of Osnabruck, Osnabruck, Germany
Curr Probl Dermatol 34:98-110. 2007..On the one hand, the literature reveals epidemiological studies and case reports and on the other hand murine studies. The combination of both views may permit new insights into the pathogenic mechanisms of PICD and its prevention...
- SAW parameters on Y-cut langasite structured materialsDerek Puccio
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816 2450, USA
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 54:1873-81. 2007..Detailed descriptions of the SAW parameter extraction techniques are given. A discussion of the results is provided, including a comparison of extracted parameters and an overview of possible SAW applications...
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis in a hardwood processing plant related to heavy mold exposureMarc Veillette
Institut de cardiologie et de pneumologie de l Université Laval, Unite de Recherche, 2725 Chemin Ste Foy, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
J Occup Environ Hyg 3:301-7. 2006..This rate is much higher than what is commonly seen in other environments associated with HP. The drying process is suspected of being responsible for the massive Paecilomyces contamination likely responsible for the HP...
- An efficient way to reduce losses of left-handed metamaterialsJiangfeng Zhou
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Opt Express 16:11147-52. 2008..Increasing the effective inductance to capacitance ratio, L/C, reduces the losses and the figure of merit can increase substantially, especially at THz frequencies and in the optical regime...
- Sub-diffraction-limited interference photolithography with metamaterialsTing Xu
State Key Laboratory of Optical Technologies for Microfabrication, Institute of Optics and Electronics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, PO Box 350, Chengdu 610209, China
Opt Express 16:13579-84. 2008..Rigorous coupled wave analysis shows that with 442nm exposure light, one-dimensional periodical structures with 40nm features can be patterned. This technique provides an alternative method to fabricate large-area nanostructures...
- Minimal analytical characterization of engineered nanomaterials needed for hazard assessment in biological matricesHans Bouwmeester
RIKILT Institute of Food Safety, Wageningen UR, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Nanotoxicology 5:1-11. 2011..In addition, increased effort is needed to develop and validate analytical methods to determine these metrics in a complex matrix...
- Documentation of a heroin manufacturing process in AfghanistanU Zerell
Federal Criminal Police Office, Wiesbaden, Germany
Bull Narc 57:11-31. 2005..The present article demonstrates that this kind of heroin can be produced in Afghanistan...
- N-nitrosamines are associated with shorter telomere lengthHuiqi Li
Section of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Scand J Work Environ Health 37:316-24. 2011..Aiming to examine the relationship between DNA-damaging agents and average telomere length in peripheral blood, we conducted a cross-sectional study among 157 workers working in the rubber industry in Sweden...
- Large positive and negative lateral shifts near pseudo-Brewster dip on reflection from a chiral metamaterial slabY Y Huang
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Thin Films, Department of Physics, Soochow University, Suzhou, China
Opt Express 19:1310-23. 2011..The validity of the stationary-phase analysis is demonstrated by numerical simulations of a Gaussian-shaped beam...
- Evaluating cell proliferation based on internal pore size and 3D scaffold architecture fabricated using solid freeform fabrication technologyJin Woo Lee
Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712 0292, USA
J Mater Sci Mater Med 21:3195-205. 2010..The results showed that cell proliferation on the MSTL scaffold was clearly superior and indicated that MSTL would be a good replacement for current conventional methods...
- Assessment of radiological hazards of clay bricks fabricated in the Punjab province of PakistanM Asghar
Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences, PO, Nilore, Islamabad, Pakistan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 142:369-77. 2010..Annual effective dose E(ff) in the bricks-made room was calculated and the average value of the dose was 0.80 mSv y(-1), which is about twice the worldwide background value of 0.41 mSv y(-1)...
- Stopping of light by the dynamic tuning of photonic crystal slow light deviceYuji Saito
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Yokohama National University, 79 5 Tokiwadai, Hodogayaku, Yokohama 240 8501, Japan
Opt Express 18:17141-53. 2010..Taking into account carrier distribution and free carrier absorption, the actual behaviors of stopped light are estimated. We define and evaluate an effective delay-bandwidth product, which is affected by free carrier absorption...
- Measurements of respirable dust and nanoparticle concentrations in a titanium dioxide pigment production factoryCheng Hsiung Huang
Department of Environmental Engineering and Health, Yuanpei University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 45:1227-33. 2010..During sampling, particle metallic content analysis is essential for identifying the source of particles and for measuring respirable dust and nanoparticle concentrations...
- Surface phonon polariton characteristics of In(0.04)Al(0.06)Ga(0.90)N/AlN/Al(2)O(3) heterostructureS S Ng
Nano Optoelectronic Research Laboratory, School of Physics, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
Opt Express 18:10354-9. 2010..No surface mode feature originating from the AlN layer is observed because it is too thin. Overall, the observations are in good agreement with the theoretical predictions...
- Use of polymeric materials in orally inhaled and nasal drug productsD M Dohmeier
International Pharmaceutical Aerosol Consortium on Regulation and Science, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Med Device Technol 20:32, 34, 36-8. 2009..Best practices in information sharing, particularly in relation to change control, are outlined here...
- Comparison of dust released from sanding conventional and nanoparticle-doped wall and wood coatingsIsmo Kalevi Koponen
National Research Centre for Working Environment, Lersø Park Alle 105, DK 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 21:408-18. 2011..However, we observed considerable differences in the number concentrations in the different size modes, but still without revealing a clear effect of ENPs on dust emissions from sanding...
- Suitability of live and fire-killed small-diameter ponderosa and lodgepole pine trees for manufacturing a new structural wood compositeJ M Linton
Department of Forest Products, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS 39762 9820, USA
Bioresour Technol 101:6242-7. 2010..The use of a sonic compression wave tester for NDE evaluation of modulus of rupture showed some promise with SPSL but requires further research...
- Diffusive spreading of time-dependent pressures in elastic microfluidic devicesBernhard K Wunderlich
Lehrstuhl für Zellbiophysik E27, Technische Universitat Munchen, Garching, Germany
Lab Chip 10:1025-9. 2010..The combination of different microparticle tracking techniques allows the determination of pressure and flow profiles at any point in the channel and excellent agreement with theoretical predictions is obtained...
- Experimental realization of a broadband bend structure using gradient index metamaterialsZhong Lei Mei
State Key Laboratory of Millimeter Waves, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
Opt Express 17:18354-63. 2009..Field mapping measurement validates the design. The method can be directly and easily extended to the design of directional cloaks, microwave lens, beam shifters, and beam-steering devices...
- IVUS Detection of Rupture Prone PlaquesMarvin M Doyley; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Personal Aerosol Sensor Platform to Link Children's Exposures to Asthma SeverityCharles Rodes; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Arsenic Exposure and Bladder Cancer in MichiganJerome Nriagu; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Gene-environment Cancer Risks in MelanomaMelissa Gonzales; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- WORK RETIREMENT AND DRINKING AMONG BLUE COLLAR WORKERSSamuel Bacharach; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., isolation, stress, marginalization) and its effects on their drinking behavior, ..
- IVUS Detection of Rupture Prone PlaquesMarvin M Doyley; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- AMORPHOUS CALCIUM PHOSPHATE BASED DENTAL MATERIALSDrago Skrtic; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, this technology may also lead to a bondable, remineralizing material that adheres to tooth structures and could mitigate root caries. ..
- AMORPHOUS CALCIUM PHOSPHATE BASED DENTAL MATERIALSDrago Skrtic; Fiscal Year: 2009..Additionally, this technology may also lead to a bondable, remineralizing material that adheres to tooth structures and could mitigate root caries. ..
- WORK RETIREMENT AND DRINKING AMONG BLUE COLLAR WORKERSSamuel Bacharach; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., isolation, stress, marginalization) and its effects on their drinking behavior, ..
- WORKER HEALTH AND SAFETY TRAINING COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTCarol Rice; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the end of the first year, we will have completed the work to multiply the training delivery capabilities of the Midwest Consortium and the ATU for Years 02-05. Hazardous Waste Worker Training Program (HWWTP) ..
- AMORPHOUS CALCIUM PHOSPHATE BASED DENTAL MATERIALSDrago Skrtic; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed studies should lead to the design of ACP composites for a variety of Dental applications and the formulation of a prototype orthodontic cement that is suitable for clinical evaluation. ..
- WORK RETIREMENT AND DRINKING AMONG BLUE COLLAR WORKERSSamuel Bacharach; Fiscal Year: 2003..These survey data will be analyzed using linear structural equation techniques to test the plausibility of alternative models of retirement-related variables and alcohol abuse. ..
- EVALUATING EXPOSURES UNDER OSHAS 1984 ETO STANDARDRobert Herrick; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- AMORPHOUS CALCIUM PHOSPHATE BASED DENTAL MATERIALSDrago Skrtic; Fiscal Year: 2003..The extended, time-releasing nature of these ACP based polymeric materials should be especially useful in dental sealant and adhesive applications for preventing demineralization or promoting remineralization. ..
- Multiprojection optical diffusion tomographyVadim Markel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 3: To use the experimental device of the Specific Aim 2 to image a small animal, such as a laboratory mouse. ..