Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diseases involving the TEETH.
- Aubry M, Mafart B, Donat B, Brau J. Brief communication: Study of noncarious cervical tooth lesions in samples of prehistoric, historic, and modern populations from the South of France. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2003;121:10-4 pubmed..The reasons underlying the total absence of NCTL in archaeological samples are discussed. The most likely explanations involve differences in lifestyle, diet, and dental condition. ..
- Robinson P, Gibson B, Khan F, Birnbaum W. Validity of two oral health-related quality of life measures. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003;31:90-9 pubmed..The additive method may be used to calculate the total score for OHIP 14. ..
- Scardina G, Messina P. [Nutrition and oral health]. Recenti Prog Med. 2008;99:106-11 pubmed..Furthermore, optimizing oral health is important in maximizing functional capacity to consume a healthful and varied diet. A varied diet is, otherwise, fundamental to save oral health. ..
- Wood I, Jawad Z, Paisley C, Brunton P. Non-carious cervical tooth surface loss: a literature review. J Dent. 2008;36:759-66 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this literature review was to review and critically appraise the literature as it relates to the prevalence, aetiology and treatment of non-carious cervical tooth surface loss...
- Brennan D, Spencer A. Dimensions of oral health related quality of life measured by EQ-5D+ and OHIP-14. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2004;2:35 pubmed
- Pahel B, Rozier R, Slade G. Parental perceptions of children's oral health: the Early Childhood Oral Health Impact Scale (ECOHIS). Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2007;5:6 pubmed..84. The ECOHIS performed well in assessing OHRQL among children and their families. Studies in other populations are needed to further establish the instrument's technical properties. ..
- Michael J, Townsend G, Greenwood L, Kaidonis J. Abfraction: separating fact from fiction. Aust Dent J. 2009;54:2-8 pubmed publisher..It is recommended that destructive, irreversible treatments aimed at treating so-called abfraction lesions, such as occlusal adjustment, be avoided. ..
- Estilo C, Huryn J, Kraus D, Sklar C, Wexler L, Wolden S, et al. Effects of therapy on dentofacial development in long-term survivors of head and neck rhabdomyosarcoma: the memorial sloan-kettering cancer center experience. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2003;25:215-22 pubmed..The care of the long-term survivor requires a multidisciplinary approach, including early involvement of the dental team. ..
- Nurko C, Aponte Merced L, Bradley E, Fox L. Dental caries prevalence and dental health care of Mexican-American workers' children. ASDC J Dent Child. 1998;65:65-72 pubmed..05). This study demonstrated a general lack of dental health knowledge, a disproportionate prevalence of decayed teeth and unmet dental need in the Mexican-American migrant workers' children. ..
- Srisilapanan P, Sheiham A. The prevalence of dental impacts on daily performances in older people in Northern Thailand. Gerodontology. 2001;18:102-8 pubmed..001), missing anterior and posterior teeth (p<0.001). Oral impacts that affected quality of life of older people were relatively common but not severe. The impacts were related to some social and clinical variables. ..
- Locker D, Jokovic A, Stephens M, Kenny D, Tompson B, Guyatt G. Family impact of child oral and oro-facial conditions. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2002;30:438-48 pubmed..The Family Impact Scale had good technical properties. Its evaluative properties need to be tested in longitudinal studies. ..
- Brennan D, Spencer A. Comparison of a generic and a specific measure of oral health related quality of life. Community Dent Health. 2005;22:11-8 pubmed..Both measures performed similarly in multivariate analysis. ..
- Pow E, McMillan A, Leung W, Kwong D, Wong M. Oral health condition in southern Chinese after radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: extent and nature of the problem. Oral Dis. 2003;9:196-202 pubmed..Dry mouth and tooth hypersensitivity were the most common oral problems perceived by the NPC survivors. Despite having regular dental follow-ups, oral health was compromised in NPC survivors 1-4 years postradiotherapy. ..
- Petersen P. The World Oral Health Report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century--the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003;31 Suppl 1:3-23 pubmed..The current oral health situation and development trends at global level are described and WHO strategies and approaches for better oral health in the 21st century are outlined. ..
- Jham B, Reis P, Miranda E, Lopes R, Carvalho A, Scheper M, et al. Oral health status of 207 head and neck cancer patients before, during and after radiotherapy. Clin Oral Investig. 2008;12:19-24 pubmed..The demographic profile herein presented will be useful as baseline data to provide additional epidemiological information and to determine future measures for prevention and treatment of RT-induced complications and sequelae. ..
- Niemiec B, Furman R. Canine dental radiography. J Vet Dent. 2004;21:186-90 pubmed
- Ramos Martinez K, González Martínez F, Luna Ricardo L. [Oral and nutritional health status in children attending a school in Cartagena, 2009]. Rev Salud Publica (Bogota). 2010;12:950-60 pubmed..000 and OR=2.63;1.02-6.76 95 % CI;p=0.04, respectively). A direct association between malnutrition and oral pathologies could not be determined;alterationssuch as fluorosis and hypoplasia could be influenced by malnutrition. ..
- Ryan P, McMahon G. Severe dental infections in the emergency department. Eur J Emerg Med. 2012;19:208-13 pubmed publisher..The aim of this review was to describe the clinical presentation, evaluation, and management of patients presenting with severe or potentially severe dental infection. ..
- Guarnizo Herreño C, Wehby G. Children's dental health, school performance, and psychosocial well-being. J Pediatr. 2012;161:1153-9 pubmed publisher..Preventing and treating dental problems and improving dental health may benefit child academic achievement and cognitive and psychosocial development. ..
- Kimura Y, Tanabe M, Imai H, Amano Y, Masuda Y, Yamada Y. Histological examination of experimentally infected root canals after preparation by Er:YAG laser irradiation. Lasers Med Sci. 2011;26:749-54 pubmed publisher..Er:YAG laser irradiation is thus a potential therapy for human infected root canals. ..
- Dixon P, du Toit N, Staszyk C. A fresh look at the anatomy and physiology of equine mastication. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract. 2013;29:257-72, v pubmed publisher..Many important developments in equine dental anatomy are summarized in this article. ..
- Kumaraguru N, Mantegazza C, KÃ¶glmeier J. A survey of oral and dental health in children on home parenteral nutrition. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2016;17:57-9 pubmed..However the overall prevalence was similar in the adult and paediatric age group receiving long-term HPN highlighting the need for specific health advice in this patient group. ..
- Hegde A, Kavita R, Sushma K, Suchetha S. Salivary sialic acid levels and dental health in children with congenital heart disease. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2012;36:293-6 pubmed..Therefore the amount of sialic acid in the saliva can be a useful index of the severity of oral disease. ..
- Zaitsu T, Ueno M, Shinada K, Ohara S, Wright F, Kawaguchi Y. Association of clinical oral health status with self-rated oral health and GOHAI in Japanese adults. Community Dent Health. 2011;28:297-300 pubmed..Subjects did not recognise periodontal disease as a quality of life impacting condition or as a health problem. ..
- Ramalingam K, Kaliyamurthy S, Govindarajan M, Swathi S. Seckel syndrome: a report of a case. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2012;30:258-61 pubmed publisher..A case of the Seckel syndrome is presented. ..
- Bilodeau E, Parashar V, Yeung A, Potluri A. Acute cervicofacial necrotizing fasciitis: three clinical cases and a review of the current literature. Gen Dent. 2012;60:70-4 pubmed..Patients were treated with broad-spectrum antibiotic therapy, extensive surgical drainage, debridement, and supportive care. Awareness in the dental community of the signs of NF will facilitate optimal patient management. ..
- Sanchez Rodriguez F, Rivera R, Suarez Gonzalez J, Gonzalez Claudio G. Prevention of infective endocarditis: a review of the American Heart Association guidelines. Bol Asoc Med P R. 2008;100:25-8 pubmed
- Raymundo de Andrade L, de Souza Rocha B, Castro G, Ribeiro de Souza I. Impact of oral problems on daily activities of HIV-infected children. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2011;12:75-80 pubmed..7% perceived the impact of HIV-infection on general health. Most children suffered the impact of oral problems on their daily activities, mainly functional impacts. ..
- Digman S, Abramowicz S. Pediatric dentoalveolar surgery. Dent Clin North Am. 2012;56:183-207, ix pubmed publisher..The long-term effects that treatments have on these children must always be taken into consideration. A clear understanding of the growth and development of pediatric patients is necessary to correctly identify dental abnormalities...
- Yuvaraj V, Alexander M, Pasupathy S. Microflora in maxillofacial infections--a changing scenario?. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;70:119-25 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the results indicated no change in microflora-causing infections in the maxillofacial region and penicillin remains the drug of choice in treating these infections. ..
- Quiñonez C, Gibson D, Jokovic A, Locker D. Emergency department visits for dental care of nontraumatic origin. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2009;37:366-71 pubmed publisher..Over the study period, these visits were greater than for diabetes and hypertensive diseases. Policy efforts are needed to provide alternative options for seeking emergency dental care in Ontario. ..
- Rhoads S, Hendricks H, Frazier Bowers S. Establishing the diagnostic criteria for eruption disorders based on genetic and clinical data. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013;144:194-202 pubmed publisher..Our results further suggest that PFE and ankylosis might be clinically indistinguishable without knowledge of prior trauma, treatment history, genetic information, or obliteration of the periodontal ligament space. ..
- Salem K, Eshghi P. Dental health and oral health-related quality of life in children with congenital bleeding disorders. Haemophilia. 2013;19:65-70 pubmed publisher..Oral bleeding was the only significant factor related to OHR-QoL in CBD. It shows an overall importance of development of comprehensive care centres for CBD as the main cause of this achievement. ..
- Proust Lemoine E, Guyot S. [Oral diseases in auto-immune polyendocrine syndrome type 1]. Presse Med. 2017;46:853-863 pubmed publisher..Oral components of APS1 should be diagnosed and rigorously treated. Dental enamel hypoplasia and/or recurrent oral candidiasis in association with auto-immune diseases in a young child should prompt APS1 diagnosis. ..
- Ferraz E, Campos E, Sarmento V, Silva L. The oral manifestations of celiac disease: information for the pediatric dentist. Pediatr Dent. 2012;34:485-8 pubmed..The presence of these clinical features in children may signal the need for early investigation of possible celiac disease, especially in asymptomatic cases. ..
- Akiyama F, Aoki A, Miura Uchiyama M, Sasaki K, Ichinose S, Umeda M, et al. In vitro studies of the ablation mechanism of periodontopathic bacteria and decontamination effect on periodontally diseased root surfaces by erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser. Lasers Med Sci. 2011;26:193-204 pubmed publisher..Er:YAG laser ablates periodontopathic bacteria with thermal vaporization, and its bacterial elimination effect on the diseased root surfaces appears to be superior to that of the ultrasonic scaler. ..
- Krämer S, Serrano M, Zillmann G, Gálvez P, Araya I, Yanine N, et al. Oral health care for patients with epidermolysis bullosa--best clinical practice guidelines. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2012;22 Suppl 1:1-35 pubmed publisher..A preventive protocol is today's dental management approach of choice. ..
- Pfeiffer R. Gastrointestinal dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2011;17:10-5 pubmed publisher..The pathophysiologic basis for this dysfunction entails both central and enteric nervous system involvement. ..
- Vishnu Rekha C, Arangannal P, Shahed H. Oral health status of children with autistic disorder in Chennai. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2012;13:126-31 pubmed..15%). All the oral conditions were seen more in boys than girls. Autistic children have significantly poor oral hygiene and higher incidence of malocclusion and dental caries when compared to other oral conditions. ..
- Klineberg I, Trulsson M, Murray G. Occlusion on implants - is there a problem?. J Oral Rehabil. 2012;39:522-37 pubmed publisher..Acknowledging these features should address potential problems associated with the occlusion in implant therapy. ..
- Zuluaga D, Ferreira J, Montoya J, Willumsen T. Oral health in institutionalised elderly people in Oslo, Norway and its relationship with dependence and cognitive impairment. Gerodontology. 2012;29:e420-6 pubmed publisher..016). A high percentage of participants had unacceptable oral hygiene. Residents whose teeth were cleaned by the nurses had poorer oral hygiene. Unco-operative residents had the worst oral hygiene and more caries. ..
- Klein H. The family and dental disease; dental disease (DMF) experience in parents and offspring. J Am Dent Assoc. 1946;33:735-43 pubmed
- Rawlinson J, Earley E. Advances in the treatment of diseased equine incisor and canine teeth. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract. 2013;29:411-40, vi-vii pubmed publisher..Easy access to equid incisor and canine teeth offers a variety of therapeutic options, and this article reviews some of the practical procedures available. ..
- Anilkumar K, Monisha A. Role of friendly bacteria in oral health - a short review. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2012;10:3-8 pubmed..This article summarises the currently available data on the potential benefits of probiotics for oral health. ..
- Figueiredo R, Hwang S, Quiñonez C. Dental health of homeless adults in Toronto, Canada. J Public Health Dent. 2013;73:74-8 pubmed publisher..Homeless adults in Toronto have poor oral health, significant oral health treatment needs, and a lack of access to dental care. ..
- Halperin Sternfeld M, Levin L. Do we really know how to evaluate tooth prognosis? A systematic review and suggested approach. Quintessence Int. 2013;44:447-56 pubmed publisher..Due to the fact that accurate tooth prognosis evaluation is still (and might forever be) unavailable, a more humble and less aggressive approach should be adopted, trying to preserve more and extract less. ..
- Tetradis S, Anstey P, Graff Radford S. Cone beam computed tomography in the diagnosis of dental disease. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2010;38:27-32 pubmed..The authors discuss cone beam computed tomography applications in dental disease diagnosis, reviewing the pertinent literature when available. ..
- Bell J, Huebner C, Reed S. Oral health need and access to dental services: evidence from the National Survey of Children's Health, 2007. Matern Child Health J. 2012;16 Suppl 1:S27-34 pubmed publisher..Public health efforts to educate parents to seek early and ongoing preventive oral health care, rather than services in response to problems, may yield oral health benefits later in childhood and over the life course. ..
- Mendes D, Poswar F, de Oliveira M, Haikal D, da Silveira M, Martins A, et al. Analysis of socio-demographic and systemic health factors and the normative conditions of oral health care in a population of the Brazilian elderly. Gerodontology. 2012;29:e206-14 pubmed publisher..Elderly 60-64 years old and those who are employed had a significant association with periodontal disease. Socio-demographic factors were associated with some notable oral diseases in the elderly. ..
- Da Silva M, Kortegaard H, Choong S, Arnbjerg J, Bertelsen M. Resorptive tooth root lesions in the Malayan tapir (Tapirus indicus). J Zoo Wildl Med. 2011;42:40-3 pubmed..Dental disease, Malayan tapir, radiology, resorptive lesions, Tapirus indicus. ..
- Kubota T. [Updates on rickets and osteomalacia. dental diseases in rickets]. Clin Calcium. 2013;23:1497-502 pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary for elucidating mechanisms of dentin mineralization defect and the occurrence of periradicular abscesses and for developing preventive and curative measures in XLH. ..