Genomes and Genes
Summary: An extra tooth, erupted or unerupted, resembling or unlike the other teeth in the group to which it belongs. Its presence may cause malposition of adjacent teeth or prevent their eruption.
- Rani A K, Metgud S, Yakub S, Pai U, Toshniwal N, Bawaskar N. Endodontic and esthetic management of maxillary lateral incisor fused to a supernumerary tooth associated with a talon cusp by using spiral computed tomography as a diagnostic aid: a case report. J Endod. 2010;36:345-9 pubmed publisher..report is to present an endodontically and esthetically managed maxillary left lateral incisor fused to a supernumerary tooth associated with a talon cusp...
- Townsend G, Richards L, Hughes T, Pinkerton S, Schwerdt W. Epigenetic influences may explain dental differences in monozygotic twin pairs. Aust Dent J. 2005;50:95-100 pubmed..We postulate that minor variations in epigenetic events during odontogenesis may account for these distinct differences. ..
- Ghoddusi J, Zarei M, Jafarzadeh H. Endodontic treatment of a supernumerary tooth fused to a mandibular second molar: a case report. J Oral Sci. 2006;48:39-41 pubmed..In this paper we report a rare case of a fused molar and supernumerary tooth and describe its management. Caries was removed from the tooth complex under local anesthesia...
- Olszewska A. Dental treatment strategies in a 40-year-old patient with cleidocranial dysplasia. J Appl Genet. 2006;47:199-201 pubmed..Therapy included surgical exposure of impacted teeth in combination with removal of supernumerary teeth...
- Chokron A, Reveret S, Salmon B, Vermelin L. Strategies for treating an impacted maxillary central incisor. Int Orthod. 2010;8:152-76 pubmed publisher..These different requirements must form part of a customized multidisciplinary treatment strategy. ..
- Rao P, Chidzonga M. Supernumerary teeth: literature review. Cent Afr J Med. 2001;47:22-6 pubmed..The aim of this review is to provide reference material for dental practitioners in Zimbabwe. ..
- Cho S. Six mandibular permanent incisors: report of a case. Gen Dent. 2006;54:428-30 pubmed..Dentists who treat children should be aware of this condition when unusual crowding and displacement is seen in the mandibular incisor region. ..
- Karacay S, Guven G, Koymen R. Management of a fused central incisor in association with a macrodont lateral incisor: a case report. Pediatr Dent. 2006;28:336-40 pubmed..In the radiographic evaluation, it was determined that the fused tooth had 2 separate roots. The supernumerary tooth was extracted after hemisection, and endodontic treatment was performed on the remaining portion...
- King N, Tongkoom S, Itthagarun A, Wong H, Lee C. A catalogue of anomalies and traits of the primary dentition of southern Chinese. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2008;32:139-46 pubmed..The characteristics of these anomalies and traits are presented along with the prevalence figures for their occurrence in primary dentition of southern Chinese...
- Ranalli D, Buzzato J, Braun T, Murphy S. Long-term interdisciplinary management of multiple mesiodens and delayed eruption: report of case. ASDC J Dent Child. 1988;55:376-80 pubmed..This report adds to existing knowledge on the treatment of mesiodens, emphasizing the need to individualize the treatment plan, and demonstrates the importance of interdisciplinary cooperation in total patient care. ..
- Stermer Beyer Olsen E, Bjertness E, Eriksen H, Hansen B. Comparison of oral radiographic findings among 35-year-old Oslo citizens in 1973 and 1984. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1989;17:68-70 pubmed..The findings revealed a statistically significant reduction in the prevalence of marginal bone loss. The frequencies of endodontically treated teeth and teeth with apical radiolucencies were unchanged. ..
- Hagman F. Anomalies of form and number, fused primary teeth, a correlation of the dentitions. ASDC J Dent Child. 1988;55:359-61 pubmed..Patients with fused primary lateral incisors and canines have about a 75 percent chance of lacking the succedaneous lateral incisor. Patients with fused incisors have less than a 20 percent chance of having a missing permanent tooth. ..
- Lehi G, Kaur A. Supernumerary teeth in the primary dentition: a report of two cases. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2002;20:21-2 pubmed..Mesiodens is a supernumerary tooth with a cone shaped crown and a short root...
- Meningaud J, Donsimoni J, Lantieri L. [ Facial allograft transplantation and basal implantology(cortically anchored disk-design implants)]. Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac. 2009;110:353-8 pubmed publisher..We would like to stress that the only objective of this observation was to document a specific case and possibly to open the way to a scientific study in accordance with the regulations of clinical research. ..
- Kitai N, Fujii Y, Murakami S, Takada K. Three-dimensional evaluation of a rare case with multiple impacted teeth using CT. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2003;27:117-21 pubmed..A detailed description of the positional relationship between each impacted tooth and the neighboring tooth was given using the 3D CT-image. ..
- Gibson N. A late developing mandibular premolar supernumerary tooth. Aust Dent J. 2001;46:51-2 pubmedThis paper presents a case of a patient who developed a mandibular premolar supernumerary tooth between the age of 11 and 20 years. Evidence for the late development of the supernumerary tooth comes from consecutive panoramic radiographs...
- Olsen C, Johnston T, Desai M, Peake G. Management of fused supernumerary teeth in children using guided tissue regeneration: long-term follow up of 2 cases. Pediatr Dent. 2002;24:566-71 pubmed..has been successfully employed to promote periodontal healing, after 2 cases of surgical removal of a supernumerary tooth fused to a permanent maxillary lateral incisor tooth...
- Orhan A, Ozer L, Orhan K. Familial occurrence of nonsyndromal multiple supernumerary teeth. A rare condition. Angle Orthod. 2006;76:891-7 pubmed..This article reports the presence of nonsyndromal multiple supernumerary teeth involving both jaws in children and in their mothers. The clinical and radiographic appearance of the anomalies and treatment modalities are discussed. ..
- Jiménez Rubio A, Segura J, Feito J. A case of combined dental development abnormalities: importance of a thorough examination. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1998;14:99-102 pubmed..e., a numerical anomaly (the supernumerary tooth), an alteration of dental position (the ectopic eruption), an alteration of dental morphology (the aberrant ..
- Bartake A, Punnya V, Sudeendra P, Rekha K. Two adenomatoid odontogenic tumours of the maxilla: a case report. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;47:638-40 pubmed publisher..They were associated with unusual findings such as relatively large size, a supernumerary tooth, rapid growth with cortical perforation, and multilocular appearance with root resorption on plain ..
- Paripaty S. Dubious diagnosis. Br Dent J. 2006;200:419 pubmed
- Lorena S, Oliveira D, Odellt E. Multiple dental anomalies in the maxillary incisor region. J Oral Sci. 2003;45:47-50 pubmed..The patient also exhibited Carabelli's cusp on both maxillary first molars. No developmental syndrome was identified. This very unusual combination of anomalies has not been reported previously. ..
- Bartolo A, Camilleri A, Camilleri S. Unerupted incisors--characteristic features and associated anomalies. Eur J Orthod. 2010;32:297-301 pubmed publisher..006) was found between unerupted incisors and other inherited dental anomalies, namely ectopic teeth, hyperdontia, and enamel hypoplasia. Unerupted incisors may be considered part of a spectrum of inheritable dental anomalies. ..
- Tomizawa M, Shimizu A, Hayashi S, Noda T. Bilateral maxillary fused primary incisors accompanied by succedaneous supernumerary teeth: report of a case. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2002;12:223-7 pubmed..After 6 months observation, surgical exposure of the two crowns of the permanent maxillary central incisors was performed. The teeth began to erupt and have since been kept under observation. ..
- Valmaseda Castellón E, Berini Aytes L, Gay Escoda C. Supernumerary premolars. Report of 10 cases. Bull Group Int Rech Sci Stomatol Odontol. 2001;43:19-25 pubmed..Hyperdontia affecting premolars can be single (when only one supernumerary tooth is found), multiple (if several teeth are involved) or related to a syndrome such as cleidocranial ..
- Han Q, Jia J, Zhao Y. Periodontal ligament cells from redundant teeth are supposed to be resources for stem-cell-mediated periodontal regeneration. Med Hypotheses. 2008;70:207-8 pubmed
- Ferreira O, Cardoso C, Capelozza A, Yaedú R, da Costa A. Odontogenic keratocyst and multiple supernumerary teeth in a patient with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome--a case report and review of the literature. Quintessence Int. 2008;39:251-6 pubmed..There is no report in the literature of the simultaneous occurrence of these alterations. The article further highlights the importance of EDS diagnosis in patients who need dental treatment and the due care for their assistance. ..
- Bayram M, Ozer M, Sener I. Bilaterally impacted maxillary central incisors: surgical exposure and orthodontic treatment: a case report. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2006;7:98-105 pubmed..The surgical exposure and orthodontic traction of bilaterally impacted central incisors after removal of impacted supernumerary teeth is presented in this report. ..
- Chelvan H, Malathi N, Kailasam V, Ponnudurai A. Cleidocranial dysplasia: a family report. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2009;27:249-52 pubmed publisher..Interdisciplinary treatment approach is obligatory for rehabilitation of these patients. In confirmed cases, genetic counseling for family planning should certainly be advised...
- Uslu O, Akcam M, Evirgen S, Cebeci I. Prevalence of dental anomalies in various malocclusions. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2009;135:328-35 pubmed publisher..A remarkably high rate of dental anomalies was recorded in orthodontic patients; therefore, orthodontists should carefully examine pretreatment records for dental anomalies to include their management in the treatment planning. ..
- Goursand D, Ramos Jorge M, de Oliveria G, Drummond A, de Araujo Z, Paiva S. Surgical and orthodontic conduct in the treatment of mesiodens: a case report. Gen Dent. 2007;55:136-40 pubmed..This treatment produced satisfactory results in terms of both esthetics and functionality. ..
- Pripatnanont P, Nuntanaranont T, Chungpanich S. Two uncommon uses of Bio-Oss for GTR and ridge augmentation following extractions: two case reports. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2002;22:279-85 pubmed..Four months after grafting, an orthodontic treatment was applied to move the two adjacent teeth through the grafted site and align them in the proper position. The clinical results of the two cases were satisfactory. ..
- Piattelli A, Scarano A, Piattelli M. Microscopic and histochemical evaluation of demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft in association with implant placement: a case report. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1998;18:355-61 pubmed..In the case presented, significant new vital bone formation was observed 6 months after placement of a demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft. ..
- Zanganah Y. Incidental finding. Br Dent J. 2004;197:62 pubmed
- Fernández Montenegro P, Valmaseda Castellón E, Berini Aytés L, Gay Escoda C. Retrospective study of 145 supernumerary teeth. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2006;11:E339-44 pubmed..Generally, supernumerary premolars are eumorphic and are casually discovered during radiological exam, if not producing any symptomology. ..
- Moore S, Wilson D, Kibble J. Sequential development of multiple supernumerary teeth in the mandibular premolar region -- a radiographic case report. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2002;12:143-5 pubmed..The importance of regular radiographic review and appropriate management for such cases is discussed. ..
- Mopager V, Sudha P, Anegundi R, Kulkarni S, Tavarageri A. Supplemental premolars in a 13 year old child--a case report. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2002;20:169-72 pubmed..Radiograph revealed presence of five more supernumerary teeth unerupted in both maxilla and mandible. The implications of early diagnosis and management to prevent further complications are discussed. ..
- Kim N, Baek S. Cleft sidedness and congenitally missing or malformed permanent maxillary lateral incisors in Korean patients with unilateral cleft lip and alveolus or unilateral cleft lip and palate. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006;130:752-8 pubmed..These are important characteristics to be considered in the diagnosis and treatment planning of cleft patients. ..
- Sekletov G. [Disturbance of dentoalveolar arch formation in the front part of the maxilla due to 11, 21 teeth retention. Treatment]. Stomatologiia (Mosk). 2006;85:67-70 pubmed..A positive result of the treatment was achieved with the use of surgical and orthodontic methods. The distinctive feature of the orthodontic method was retained tooth displacement (by traction) into the dentition. ..
- Wörtche R, Hassfeld S, Lux C, Mussig E, Hensley F, Krempien R, et al. Clinical application of cone beam digital volume tomography in children with cleft lip and palate. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2006;35:88-94 pubmed..The potential role for three-dimensional imaging in cleft lip and palate patients is illustrated on the basis of clinical examples...
- Batra P, Duggal R, Parkash H. Non-syndromic multiple supernumerary teeth transmitted as an autosomal dominant trait. J Oral Pathol Med. 2005;34:621-5 pubmed..We describe the occurrence of multiple supernumerary teeth in a family occurring as a non-syndromal trait. The autosomal dominant transmission of non-syndromal multiple supernumerary teeth is new. ..
- Webb M, Unkel J. Anesthetic management of the trigeminocardiac reflex during mesiodens removal-a case report. Anesth Prog. 2007;54:7-8 pubmed..The management of the case, as well as the reflex arc, is discussed. ..
- Fujita Y, Hidaka A, Nishida I, Morikawa K, Hashiguchi D, Maki K. Developmental anomalies of permanent lateral incisors in young patients. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2009;33:211-5 pubmed..4%). Two of five patients presented with a disturbed eruption owing to an odontoma or a supernumerary tooth. In our study, the prevalence of agenesis of the lateral incisors was higher in Japanese children than in ..
- Swart R, Kiekens R, Borstlap W, Kuijpers Jagtman A. [Orthodontics in general practice 4. Impaction of maxillary front teeth]. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2008;115:252-8 pubmed..Conventional two-dimensional radiographs can sometimes unjustifiably suggest a bad prognosis of an impacted tooth. Cone-beam CT scanning, which gives a three-dimensional image, can provide important additional diagnostic information. ..
- Smailiene D, Sidlauskas A, Bucinskiene J. Impaction of the central maxillary incisor associated with supernumerary teeth: initial position and spontaneous eruption timing. Stomatologija. 2006;8:103-7 pubmed..the impacted maxillary incisor on spontaneous eruption frequency and timing after surgical removal of the supernumerary tooth. Records of 33 patients with unilateral impaction of upper central incisor caused by supernumerary teeth ..
- Balaton G, Tarjan I, Balaton P, Barabasi Z, Gyulai Gál S, Nagy K, et al. [Orthodontic and oral surgery therapy in cleidocranial dysplasia]. Fogorv Sz. 2007;100:17-21 pubmed..The presented case and the literature data support the importance of early diagnosis of CCD. The good collaboration of the orthodontic and maxillo-facial surgery specialists help achieve the correct rehabilitation of the patient. ..
- Hibbert S. A previously unreported association between Nance-Horan syndrome and spontaneous dental abscesses. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005;99:207-11 pubmed..This report details the patient's dental management and discusses the possible pathogenesis of the dental abscesses, together with the genetic implications of this syndrome...
- Holtzclaw D, Toscano N. Alternative anesthetic technique for maxillary periodontal surgery. J Periodontol. 2008;79:1769-72 pubmed..The AMSA injection is a novel anesthetic technique that may prove useful for certain maxillary periodontal surgeries. ..
- da Silva Dalben G, Richieri Costa A, de Assis Taveira L. Tooth abnormalities and soft tissue changes in patients with velocardiofacial syndrome. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;106:e46-51 pubmed publisher..Future studies should further investigate these aspects in larger samples compared to control groups, as well as employing molecular genetics techniques. ..
- Sivolella S, Bressan E, Mirabal V, Stellini E, Berengo M. Extraoral endodontic treatment, odontotomy and intentional replantation of a double maxillary lateral permanent incisor: case report and 6-year follow-up. Int Endod J. 2008;41:538-46 pubmed publisher..Maintenance of the root and alveolar bone in young adults at least until full skeletal maturation should be the main treatment objective. ..
- Nortje C. General practitioner's radiology case 4. Cleidocranial dysplasia. SADJ. 2002;57:343-4 pubmed
- Baccetti T. A controlled study of associated dental anomalies. Angle Orthod. 1998;68:267-74 pubmed..The existence of associations between different tooth anomalies is clinically relevant, as the early diagnosis of one anomaly may indicate an increased risk for others. ..
- Boeddinghaus R, Whyte A. Trends in maxillofacial imaging. Clin Radiol. 2018;73:4-18 pubmed publisher..Osteonecrosis of the jaws may follow radiotherapy or the use of bisphosphonates and other drugs. Imaging of the temporomandibular joints and the potential role of imaging in obstructive sleep apnoea are also discussed. ..