Summary: Pathological processes involving the NASOPHARYNX.
- Ozcan C, Vaysoğlu Y, Güçlütürk T, Apa D, Gorur K. Nasopharyngeal tuberculosis presenting as massive cervical lymphadenopathy and hearing loss. J Craniofac Surg. 2012;23:e341-3 pubmed publisher..In this report, a nasopharyngeal tuberculosis case associated with massive cervical lymphadenopathy was reported, and etiopathogenesis and treatment were also discussed. ..
- Ngoc Limb N, Minh Thong T, Sao Trung N, Truong Minh Ky E, Vuong P. [Nasopharyngeal rhinosporidosis mimicking angiofibroma in a Cambodian adolescent]. Presse Med. 2003;32:27 pubmed
- Krespi Y, Kacker A. Management of nasopharyngeal stenosis after uvulopalatoplasty. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000;123:692-5 pubmed..The repair of NPS with a CO(2) laser and a nasopharyngeal obturator in severe cases helps in restoring nasopharyngeal patency. This technique provided a reliable method of correcting postuvulopalatoplasty NPS. ..
- Takagi A, Nagayasu F, Sugama Y, Shiraishi S. [Primary nasopharyngeal tuberculosis]. Kekkaku. 2013;88:485-9 pubmed
- Jans L, Lemmerling M, Verstraete K. Tornwaldt's cyst. JBR-BTR. 2005;88:209 pubmed
- Dobroś W, Pacura B, Fraczek W, Klisowski T, Potempa J, Kozieł J. [Identification of Staphylococcus aureus in homogenates of hypertrophic adenoid (a preliminary report)]. Przegl Lek. 2010;67:355-6 pubmed..Results of plating were confirmed by molecular test (PCR- polymerase chain reaction). Inconsistent results between swabs and homogenate plating may indicate intracellular localization of S. aureus the tissue of hypertrophic adenoids. ..
- Owens D, Alderson D, Garrido C. Nasopharyngeal hamartoma: importance of routine complete nasal examination. J Laryngol Otol. 2004;118:558-60 pubmed..In addition to describing a rare presentation the authors believe this case highlights the importance of complete examination in all patients with nasal symptoms. ..
- Gaynor B, Chidambaram J, Cevallos V, Miao Y, Miller K, Jha H, et al. Topical ocular antibiotics induce bacterial resistance at extraocular sites. Br J Ophthalmol. 2005;89:1097-9 pubmed..Surprisingly, topical tetracycline may also increase nasopharyngeal pneumococcal resistance. Topical antibiotics may have an effect on extraocular bacterial resistance. ..
- Yilmaz I, Caylakli F, Yilmazer C, Sener M, Ozluoglu L. Correlation of diagnostic systems with adenoidal tissue volume: a blind prospective study. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2008;72:1235-40 pubmed publisher..Nasal endoscopy is considered the most important tool to indicate adenoidectomy. This study showed that nasal endoscopy and palpation provide the most accurate determination of the volume of adenoidal tissues dissected by adenoidectomy. ..
- He H, Wang M, Huang W. Infectious mononucleosis mimicking malignant T-cell lymphoma in the nasopharynx: a case report and review of the literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6:105-9 pubmed..The histopathologic features of IM could mimic malignant T-cell lymphoma. It should be differentiate reactive T-cell lymphoproliferation from malignant lymphoma in the nasopharynx. ..
- Park S, Jung H, Yang Y. Mesenchymal hamartoma in nasopharynx: a case report. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2008;35:437-9 pubmed..The mass was resected endoscopically and confirmed histologically as a lymphoid hamartoma. We report and discuss the pathological features of this rare nasopharyngeal hamartoma. ..
- Kondo E, Aoba T. Nonsurgical and nonextraction treatment of skeletal Class III open bite: its long-term stability. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2000;117:267-87 pubmed..Myofunctional therapy after lingual and labial frenectomy was assisted by vigorous gum chewing during and after treatment, together with a tooth positioner. Normal nasal breathing was achieved...
- Abdullahi O, Karani A, Tigoi C, Mugo D, Kungu S, Wanjiru E, et al. Rates of acquisition and clearance of pneumococcal serotypes in the nasopharynges of children in Kilifi District, Kenya. J Infect Dis. 2012;206:1020-9 pubmed publisher..In Kilifi, young children experience approximately 8 episodes of carriage per year. The declining prevalence with age is attributable to increasing clearance rates. ..
- Lui P, Chan A, Chan K, Choi C, Tse G. Melanocytic and non-melanocytic oncocytic metaplasia of the nasopharynx. Pathology. 2004;36:504-5 pubmed
- Agulles Fornés M, Agut Fuster M, Grau Alario E, Del Campo Biosca J, Viel Martínez J, Ferrer Rodríguez A, et al. [Primary nasal tuberculosis: a forgotten disease?]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2004;55:240-3 pubmed..Antituberculosis treatment is satisfactory with standard anti-tuberculous chemotherapy. Although this is a rare finding, it should be considered when a patient presents with nasal obstruction. ..
- Talavera Lopez J, Josefa Fernandez Del Palacio M, Cano F, Del Rio A. Nasopharyngeal stenosis secondary to soft palate dysgenesis in a cat. Vet J. 2009;181:200-4 pubmed publisher..Surgical reconstruction was not recommended. The cat was clinically stable with mild respiratory symptoms 17 months after the diagnosis. ..
- Wehner A, Crochik S, Howerth E, Koenig A. Diagnosis and treatment of blastomycosis affecting the nose and nasopharynx of a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008;233:1112-6 pubmed publisher..In dogs, nasal and nasopharyngeal blastomycosis can result in severe osteolysis of the nasal bone. Resolution of disease can be achieved with oral administration of itraconazole for a period of at least 5 months. ..
- Nakao Y, Shibata R, Murohara T, Tanigawa T. Primary nasopharyngeal tuberculosis: a case report. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16:121 pubmed publisher..We recommend endoscopic examination for patients suffering from chronic postnasal drips to avoid inappropriate diagnosis. ..
- Lee L, Glastonbury C, Lin D. Rosai-Dorfman disease presenting as an isolated extranodal mass of the carotid sheath: a case report. Ear Nose Throat J. 2007;86:624-7 pubmed..We present a case of isolated extranodal Rosai-Dorfman disease involving the carotid sheath, without the typical massive adenopathy. ..
- Pawar S, Lim H, Gill M, Smith T, Merati A, Toohill R, et al. Treatment of postnasal drip with proton pump inhibitors: a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Am J Rhinol. 2007;21:695-701 pubmed publisher..The effect on laryngeal findings is mixed and patients may experience symptomatic improvement before changes in laryngoscopic appearance. ..
- Pribitkin E, Friedman O, O Hara B, Cunnane M, Levi D, Rosen M, et al. Amyloidosis of the upper aerodigestive tract. Laryngoscope. 2003;113:2095-101 pubmed..Regular follow-up with laryngoscopy is indicated for early diagnosis of recurrence, and multiple surgical procedures may be required to control symptoms. ..
- Ayanoglu E, Uneri C, Turoglu T, Dogan V. Reflux of nasopharyngeal content into middle ear through the eustachian tube. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2004;261:439-44 pubmed..Our study does not support the hypothesis that nasopharyngeal content passes directly through the eustachian tube into the middle ear and causes deleterious effects. ..
- Hayashi S, Mori I, Nonoyama T. Spontaneous proliferative lesions in the nasopharyngeal meatus of F344 rats. Toxicol Pathol. 1998;26:419-27 pubmed..In addition, mutations of the ras genes may be an important step in the early stages of carcinogenesis in the rat nasopharyngeal meatus, whereas p53 mutations could occur relatively late. ..
- Hamer D, Egas J, Estrella B, MacLeod W, Griffiths J, Sempertegui F. Assessment of the Binax NOW Streptococcus pneumoniae urinary antigen test in children with nasopharyngeal pneumococcal carriage. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:1025-8 pubmed..3 of 71 children; chi2=10.8; P<.001). The rate of nasopharyngeal carriage of S. pneumoniae decreased with increasing age; the lowest rates were found in children with the worst nutritional status. ..
- Zong Y, Zhang J, Li Z, Chen G, Rong Z, Wu W. Epstein-Barr virus infection in nasopharyngeal lymphoid hyperplasia. Chin Med J (Engl). 1999;112:845-9 pubmed..The NPLH without epithelial dysplasia can not be recognized as a precancerous lesion, and EBV infection in these lesions is not an important event, having no substantial significance in development of NPC. ..
- Ronen O, Uri N. A case of nasogastric tube perforation of the nasopharynx causing a fatal mediastinal complication. Ear Nose Throat J. 2009;88:E17-8 pubmed..We also review the proper technique for inserting these tubes. ..
- Roh J. Transoral endoscopic resection of a nasopharyngeal hairy polyp. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2004;68:1087-90 pubmed..The endoscope-guided surgery may help avoid undesirable complications as well as completely excise the lesions attached close to the eustachian tube openings. ..
- Jensen I, Thisted E, Glikmann G, Obel N, Kofoed P, Sambo M, et al. Secretory IgM and IgA antibodies to respiratory syncytial virus in nasopharyngeal aspirates: a diagnostic supplement to antigen detection. Clin Diagn Virol. 1997;8:219-26 pubmed..RSV-IgM disappeared in 8/11 (73%) and RSV-IgA in 7/8 (88%) between day 30-60. Specific RSV-IgM is a valuable supplement to RSV-antigen detection for the diagnosis of acute and recent RSV infection. ..
- Oryan A, Valinezhad A, Moraveji M. Prevalence and pathology of camel nasal myiasis in eastern areas of Iran. Trop Biomed. 2008;25:30-6 pubmed..This investigation was designed to record the prevalence together with gross and histopathological changes observed due to C. titillator in camels in eastern provinces of Iran. ..
- Fitzgerald D. Nasopharyngeal abscess and facial paralysis as complications of petrous apicitis: a case report. Ear Nose Throat J. 2001;80:305-7, 310-2 pubmed..This article describes the management of this patient and reviews the historical, medical, and surgical aspects of petrous apicitis. ..
- Lonks J, Garau J, Medeiros A. Implications of antimicrobial resistance in the empirical treatment of community-acquired respiratory tract infections: the case of macrolides. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2002;50 Suppl S2:87-92 pubmed..Furthermore, they favour guidelines for the empirical treatment of outpatients with community-acquired pneumonia that recommend high-dose oral amoxicillin and reserve coverage of atypical pathogens for selected high-risk populations. ..
- Norman T, Chaffin M, Bissett W, Thompson J. Risk factors associated with nasopharyngeal cicatrix syndrome in horses. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013;242:1267-70 pubmed publisher..The risk factors for NCS identified in this study may support chronic environmental exposure to an irritant or infectious agent as the cause of NCS. Information gained from this study should be useful for investigating the cause of NCS. ..
- Motosugi U, Ichikawa T, Araki T, Endo S, Masuyama K, Nakazawa T. Localized nasopharyngeal amyloidosis with remarkable early enhancement on dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging. Eur Radiol. 2007;17:852-3 pubmed
- Krasny M, Wysocki J, Zadurska M, Skarzynski P. Relative nasopharyngeal patency index as possible objective indication for adenoidectomy in children with orthodontic problems. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2011;75:250-5 pubmed publisher..Relative nasopharyngeal flow below 38% should constitute an indication for adenoidectomy, due to the exceeded adaptive capabilities of the body. ..
- Habesoglu T, Habesoglu M, Surmeli M, Uresin T, Egeli E. Unilateral sinonasal symptoms. J Craniofac Surg. 2010;21:2019-22 pubmed publisher..The aim of the study was to describe the pathology in patients with unilateral sinonasal symptoms and to identify variables that may predict neoplastic pathology...
- Di Lella F, Vincenti V, Zennaro D, Afeltra A, Baldi A, Giordano D, et al. Mucocutaneous leishmaniasis: report of a case with massive involvement of nasal, pharyngeal and laryngeal mucosa. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006;35:870-2 pubmed
- Reed N, Gunn Moore D. Nasopharyngeal disease in cats: 2. Specific conditions and their management. J Feline Med Surg. 2012;14:317-26 pubmed publisher..The information presented in this article is based on peer-reviewed publications and the clinical experience of the authors. ..
- Eppley B, Sadove A, Hennon D, van Aalst J. Treatment of nasopharyngeal stenosis by prosthetic hollow stents: Clinical experience in eight patients. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2006;43:374-8 pubmed..Improved nasopharyngeal patency with this device may be due to greater patient tolerance and subsequent longer use. ..
- Akst L, Albani B, Strome M. Subacute infratemporal fossa cellulitis with subsequent abscess formation in an immunocompromised patient. Am J Otolaryngol. 2005;26:35-8 pubmed..To present a case of subacute infratemporal fossa cellulitis with subsequent abscess formation to show important anatomic relationships as they effect presentation and treatment of infections in this area...
- DeAngelo A, Mysliwiec V. Resolution of severe sleep-disordered breathing with a nasopharyngeal obturator in 2 cases of nasopharyngeal stenosis complicating uvulopalatopharyngoplasty. Sleep Breath. 2004;8:49-55 pubmed..Polysomnographic demonstration of the effectiveness of this therapy has not previously been reported. Future questions include duration of nasopharyngeal stenting and timing of follow-up polysomnography. ..
- Abut L, Apan T, Otlu B, Caliskan A, Durmaz R. The characteristics of nasopharyngeal Streptococcus pneumoniae in children attending a daycare unit. New Microbiol. 2008;31:357-62 pubmed..Therefore, to prevent S. pneumoniae infection in closed crowded areas, the summer months should not be overlooked. ..
- Gurney T, Murr A. Otolaryngologic manifestations of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2003;36:607-24 pubmed..The presentation of problems subsequent to HIV infection is quite varied, but close investigation will often reveal treatable problems. ..
- Anderson T, Beynon K, Murdoch D. Comparison of real-time PCR and conventional hemi-nested PCR for the detection of Bordetella pertussis in nasopharyngeal samples. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2003;9:746-9 pubmed..These results suggest that the hemi-nested assay is more sensitive than the real-time assay for detecting B. pertussis. ..
- Thornton R, Wiertsema S, Kirkham L, Rigby P, Vijayasekaran S, Coates H, et al. Neutrophil extracellular traps and bacterial biofilms in middle ear effusion of children with recurrent acute otitis media--a potential treatment target. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53837 pubmed publisher..Biopsies can be difficult to obtain from children and their small size limits analysis...
- Aktan B, Selimoglu E, Ucuncu H, Sutbeyaz Y. Primary nasopharyngeal tuberculosis in a patient with the complaint of snoring. J Laryngol Otol. 2002;116:301-3 pubmed..After anti-tuberculosis therapy, the snoring stopped and the nasopharyngeal examination was normal. ..
- Noone K. Rhinoscopy, pharyngoscopy, and laryngoscopy. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2001;31:671-89 pubmed..They are simple to perform, yield important information, spare the patient from undergoing invasive rhinotomy, and improve client relations when a diagnosis is reached. ..
- Smith C, Taylor R, Dixon P. Unilateral ventral displacement of the roof of the nasopharynx as a cause of stridor in a pony. Vet Rec. 1994;134:140-1 pubmed
- Catalano Pons C, Vallet C, Lebon P, Gendrel D. [Human bocavirus infections]. Med Mal Infect. 2009;39:353-5 pubmed publisher..Because of a high rate of viral co-infections, its pathogenic role in these infections should be documented. Further studies are required to determine the role of this possibly systemic virus in other affections. ..
- Sze L, Fretz C, Hildebrandt G, Westphal K, Brandle M. A patient with a "good nose". Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2008;116:129-31 pubmed..We conclude that biopsy or excision of nasopharyngeal masses should always be considered carefully, especially in patients with facial anomalies. ..
- Karimi K, Chheda N. Nasopharyngeal amyloidosis: a case report. Laryngoscope. 2010;120 Suppl 4:S197 pubmed publisher..Treatment of systemic disease is complex, and should be managed by a Hematologist/Oncologist. Amyloidosis can be associated with malignancy, thus proper workup is important even when isolated lesions are discovered. ..
- Grimmer I, Boenke S, Poller S. [Bacterial colonization of the nasopharynx in a comparison of home reared and day care children]. Padiatr Grenzgeb. 1990;29:K1-3 pubmed..In vitro the efficiency of erythromycine against bacteria of the nose-pharynx-area is broader then that of Penicilline and the combination Trimethoprime plus Sulfonamide. ..
- Ogawa T, Shibata A, Maeda Y, Uno Y, Okano M, Nishizaki K, et al. Component analysis and growth process of nasopharyngeal calculus as revealed by Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2003;49:621-6 pubmed