Summary: Diseases that are underfunded and have low name recognition but are major burdens in less developed countries. The World Health Organization has designated six tropical infectious diseases as being neglected in industrialized countries that are endemic in many developing countries (HELMINTHIASIS; LEPROSY; LYMPHATIC FILARIASIS; ONCHOCERCIASIS; SCHISTOSOMIASIS; and TRACHOMA).
- Bonell A, Lubell Y, Newton P, Crump J, Paris D. Estimating the burden of scrub typhus: A systematic review. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005838 pubmed publisher..Unfortunately, the quality and quantity of the available data on scrub typhus epidemiology is currently too limited for any economical, mathematical modeling or mapping approaches. ..
- Previti S, Ettari R, Cosconati S, Amendola G, Chouchene K, Wagner A, et al. Development of Novel Peptide-Based Michael Acceptors Targeting Rhodesain and Falcipain-2 for the Treatment of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs). J Med Chem. 2017;60:6911-6923 pubmed publisher..97 ?M), thus being considered as a novel lead compound for the discovery of novel effective antitrypanosomal agents. ..
- Marks M, Mitjà O, Fitzpatrick C, Asiedu K, Solomon A, Mabey D, et al. Mathematical Modeling of Programmatic Requirements for Yaws Eradication. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:22-28 pubmed publisher..At high estimates of R0 with 12 monthly rounds of treatment, no combination of variables achieved eradication. Models should be used to guide the scale-up of yaws eradication. ..
- Fitzpatrick C, Sankara D, Agua J, Jonnalagedda L, Rumi F, Weiss A, et al. The cost-effectiveness of an eradication programme in the end game: Evidence from guinea worm disease. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005922 pubmed publisher..We analyze the cost-effectiveness of the GWEP in the end game, when the number of cases is lower and the cost per case is higher than at any other time. Ours is the first economic evaluation of the GWEP since a World Bank study in 1997...
- Kihembo C, Masiira B, Lali W, Matwale G, Matovu J, Kaharuza F, et al. Risk Factors for Podoconiosis: Kamwenge District, Western Uganda, September 2015. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;96:1490-1496 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this reported elephantiasis is podoconiosis associated with prolonged foot exposure to volcanic soil. We recommended foot hygiene and universal use of protective shoes. ..
- Solomon N, Zeyhle E, Carter J, Wachira J, Mengiste A, Romig T, et al. Cystic Echinococcosis in Turkana, Kenya: The Role of Cross-Sectional Screening Surveys in Assessing the Prevalence of Human Infection. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:587-595 pubmed publisher..6% in the 1980s to 1.9-3.8% in 2010-2012 and the shift in age distribution of CE-infected individuals over time indicate that the prevalence of CE in Turkana has decreased since the control program began. ..
- da Silva V, Campos B, de Oliveira J, Decout J, do Carmo Alves de Lima M. Medicinal chemistry of antischistosomal drugs: Praziquantel and oxamniquine. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:3259-3277 pubmed publisher..Using the information about more than 200 PZQ new derivatives synthetized during almost 35years since its discovery, a deep structure-activity relationship (SAR) is also proposed in this study. ..
- Aksoy S, Büscher P, Lehane M, Solano P, Van den Abbeele J. Human African trypanosomiasis control: Achievements and challenges. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005454 pubmed publisher..Here we review the status of HAT disease at the current time and the toolbox available for its control. We also highlight future opportunities under development towards novel or improved interventions. ..
- Beck Peccoz P, Rodari G, Giavoli C, Lania A. Central hypothyroidism - a neglected thyroid disorder. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2017;13:588-598 pubmed publisher..In this Review, we discuss current knowledge of the causes of central hypothyroidism, emphasizing possible pitfalls in the diagnosis and treatment of this disorder. ..
- . WHO Alliance for the Global Elimination of Blinding Trachoma by the year 2020. Progress report on elimination of trachoma, 2013. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2014;89:421-8 pubmed
- . Global programme to eliminate lymphatic filariasis: progress report, 2013. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2014;89:409-18 pubmed
- . Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet. 2015;386:743-800 pubmed publisher..Our results can guide future health initiatives through examination of epidemiological trends and a better understanding of variation across countries. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. ..
- Yerramilli A, Tay E, Stewardson A, Kelley P, Bishop E, Jenkin G, et al. The location of Australian Buruli ulcer lesions-Implications for unravelling disease transmission. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005800 pubmed publisher..ulcerans transmission may be the same across the globe. Our findings also aid clinical diagnosis and provide quantitative background information for further research investigating disease transmission. ..
- Queiroz Telles F, Fahal A, Falci D, Caceres D, Chiller T, Pasqualotto A. Neglected endemic mycoses. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:e367-e377 pubmed publisher..Cutaneous implantation and systemic mycoses are neglected diseases that affect millions of individuals worldwide, especially in low-income countries where their management is ..
- Globisch D, Eubanks L, Shirey R, Pfarr K, Wanji S, Debrah A, et al. Validation of onchocerciasis biomarker N-acetyltyramine-O-glucuronide (NATOG). Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:3436-3440 pubmed publisher..Based on these extended studies, we suggest NATOG as a biomarker for tracking active onchocerciasis infections and provide a threshold concentration value of NATOG for future diagnostic tool development. ..
- Dichiara M, Marrazzo A, Prezzavento O, Collina S, Rescifina A, Amata E. Repurposing of Human Kinase Inhibitors in Neglected Protozoan Diseases. ChemMedChem. 2017;12:1235-1253 pubmed publisher..This collection aims to provide insight into repurposed human kinase inhibitors and their importance in the development of new chemical entities with potential beneficial effects on the diseases caused by trypanosomatids. ..
- Piseddu T, Brundu D, Stegel G, Loi F, Rolesu S, Masu G, et al. The disease burden of human cystic echinococcosis based on HDRs from 2001 to 2014 in Italy. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005771 pubmed publisher..It demonstrates the need of implementing a CE control program aimed at preventing the considerable economic and social losses it causes in high incidence areas. ..
- Deiner M, Worden L, Rittel A, Ackley S, Liu F, Blum L, et al. Short-term leprosy forecasting from an expert opinion survey. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182245 pubmed publisher..Even for a disease whose epidemiology changes on a slow time scale, forecasting exercises such as we conducted are simple and practical. We believe they can be used on a routine basis in public health...
- Amaral K, Silva T, Dias F, Malta K, Rosa F, Costa Neto S, et al. Histological assessment of granulomas in natural and experimental Schistosoma mansoni infections using whole slide imaging. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184696 pubmed publisher..Thus, WSI may be a suitable tool for detailed and precise histological analysis of granulomas and other pathological aspects for clinical and research studies of schistosomiasis. ..
- Zijlstra E. Visceral leishmaniasis: a forgotten epidemic. Arch Dis Child. 2016;101:561-7 pubmed publisher..Control efforts focus on case finding, availability of diagnostic tools, reservoir control and protection from sand flies (insecticides, bed nets). There is no human vaccine. ..
- Yeoh D, Anderson A, Cleland G, Bowen A. Are scabies and impetigo "normalised"? A cross-sectional comparative study of hospitalised children in northern Australia assessing clinical recognition and treatment of skin infections. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005726 pubmed publisher..Improving the recognition and treatment of skin infections by clinicians is a priority to reduce the high burden of skin infection and subsequent sequelae in paediatric populations where scabies and impetigo are endemic. ..
- Thomas B, Kollie K, Koudou B, Mackenzie C. Commentary: restarting NTD programme activities after the Ebola outbreak in Liberia. Infect Dis Poverty. 2017;6:52 pubmed publisher..There appears to be a strong desire by the communities to resume NTD programme activities, although it is clear that some important challenges remain, the most prominent being those resulting from the severe loss of trained staff. ..
- Monteiro L, Mota R, Martins Melo F, Alencar C, Heukelbach J. Social determinants of leprosy in a hyperendemic State in North Brazil. Rev Saude Publica. 2017;51:70 pubmed publisher..Os programas de controle precisam focar as atividades em municípios de maior vulnerabilidade social com investimentos intersetoriais para a melhoria das condições de vida da população. ..
- Fitzpatrick C, Haines A, Bangert M, Farlow A, Hemingway J, Velayudhan R. An economic evaluation of vector control in the age of a dengue vaccine. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005785 pubmed publisher..High-burden endemic countries should proceed to map populations to be covered by sustained vector control. ..
- Lee B, Bartsch S. How to determine if a model is right for neglected tropical disease decision making. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005457 pubmed publisher..Thus, decision makers need to better understand if a particular model actually fits their needs. Here are a series of questions that a decision maker can ask when determining whether a model is right for him or her. ..