Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diseases that do not exhibit symptoms.
- Crawley P, Mahlow W, Huntsinger D, Afiniwala S, Wortham D. Giant coronary artery aneurysms: review and update. Tex Heart Inst J. 2014;41:603-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, we provide a review of the medical literature on giant coronary artery aneurysms. ..
- Ferraz de Souza B, Corrêa P. Diagnosis and treatment of Paget's disease of bone: a mini-review. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2013;57:577-82 pubmed..This mini-review focuses on important aspects of the diagnosis and treatment of PDB. ..
- Rowe M, Melnick J, Gerwien R, Legutki J, Pfeilsticker J, Tarasow T, et al. An ImmunoSignature test distinguishes Trypanosoma cruzi, hepatitis B, hepatitis C and West Nile virus seropositivity among asymptomatic blood donors. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005882 pubmed publisher..Despite the complexity of the ligand presentation and large quantitative readouts, performing an IST test is simple, scalable and reproducible. ..
- Voigtländer R, Fuhrer D. [Subclinical hypothyroidism - laboratory finding or disease?]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2016;141:1134-6 pubmed publisher..In case of autoimmune thyroiditis or previous thyroid therapy (surgery, radioiodine treatment) the risk of progression to overt hypothyroidism has to be considered and there is no doubt that the latter should be avoided. ..
- Ungprasert P, Crowson C, Simonetto D, Matteson E. Clinical Characteristics and Outcome of Hepatic Sarcoidosis: A Population-Based Study 1976-2013. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1556-1563 pubmed publisher..Generalizability of the observations to other populations may be limited, as the studied population was predominantly Caucasian. The prevalence of liver disease may be higher in more diverse populations. ..
- Elefteriades J, Ziganshin B. Paradigm for Detecting Silent Thoracic Aneurysm Disease. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;28:776-782 pubmed publisher..This article introduces the "Guilt by Association" paradigm for detection of silent thoracic aortic disease based on detection of clinical markers associated with this condition. ..
- Lal B, Meschia J, Brott T. Clinical need, design, and goals for the Carotid Revascularization and Medical Management for Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis trial. Semin Vasc Surg. 2017;30:2-7 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02089217. ..
- Qaseem A, Hopkins R, Sweet D, Starkey M, Shekelle P. Screening, monitoring, and treatment of stage 1 to 3 chronic kidney disease: A clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:835-47 pubmed..Grade: strong recommendation, moderate-quality evidence). ..
- Martin G, Dénier C, Zambrowski O, Grevent D, Bruère L, Brousse V, et al. Visual Function in Asymptomatic Patients With Homozygous Sickle Cell Disease and Temporal Macular Atrophy. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:1100-1105 pubmed publisher..Optical coherence tomographic imaging may be warranted when evaluating patients with sickle cell disease, even if asymptomatic with 20/20 visual acuity. ..
- Bibbins Domingo K, Grossman D, Curry S, Barry M, Davidson K, Doubeni C, et al. Screening for Thyroid Cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. JAMA. 2017;317:1882-1887 pubmed publisher..The USPSTF therefore determined that the net benefit of screening for thyroid cancer is negative. The USPSTF recommends against screening for thyroid cancer in asymptomatic adults. (D recommendation). ..
- Rinaldo L, Brinjikji W, Cloft H, DeMartino R, Lanzino G. Investigation into drivers of cost of stenting for carotid stenosis. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:786-793 pubmed publisher..Admission to an intensive care unit, symptomatic stenosis, and obesity were associated with increased costs in patients undergoing CAS. These data may aid in identifying opportunities to improve the cost-effectiveness of this procedure. ..
- Grimm J, Schindler A, Freilinger T, Cyran C, Bamberg F, Yuan C, et al. Comparison of symptomatic and asymptomatic atherosclerotic carotid plaques using parallel imaging and 3 T black-blood in vivo CMR. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2013;15:44 pubmed publisher..Best predictors of the symptomatic side were a ruptured fibrous cap, AHA-LT 6, juxtaluminal hemorrhage/thrombus, and intraplaque hemorrhage. ..
- Bennett K, Hoch J, Scarborough J. Predictors of 30-day postoperative major adverse clinical events after carotid artery stenting: An analysis of the procedure-targeted American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1093-1099 pubmed publisher..Elderly patients (?80 years), female patients, and black patients as well as those receiving more than one stent are at increased risk of negative outcome after CAS. ..
- Morilla A, Melon S, Alvarez Argüelles M, Armesto E, Villar H, de Ona M. Utility of normalized genome quantification of Helicobacter pylori in gastric mucosa using an in-house real-time polymerase chain reaction. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178674 pubmed publisher..pylori infection. It also permits normalized bacterial load quantification, which is important to differentiate between asymptomatic colonisation and infection. ..
- Hamilton Craig C, Chow C, Younger J, Jelinek V, Chan J, Liew G. Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand position statement executive summary: coronary artery calcium scoring. Med J Aust. 2017;207:357-361 pubmed..High risk patients are treated with a high efficacy statin and aspirin. Very low risk patients (ie, CAC score of zero) do not benefit from treatment...
- Abworo E, Onzere C, Oluoch Amimo J, Riitho V, Mwangi W, Davies J, et al. Detection of African swine fever virus in the tissues of asymptomatic pigs in smallholder farming systems along the Kenya-Uganda border: implications for transmission in endemic areas and ASF surveillance in East Africa. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1806-1814 pubmed publisher..This study significantly increases scientific knowledge of the epidemiology of ASF in the field in Africa, which will contribute to the design of effective surveillance and control strategies. ..
- Moyer V. Screening for peripheral artery disease and cardiovascular disease risk assessment with the ankle-brachial index in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:342-8 pubmed publisher..The USPSTF concludes that the current evidence is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of screening for PAD and CVD risk assessment with the ABI in adults. (I statement). ..
- Harris R, Wilt T, Qaseem A. A value framework for cancer screening: advice for high-value care from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162:712-7 pubmed publisher..The authors conclude that increasing intensity beyond an optimal level leads to low-value screening and speculate about pressures that encourage overly intensive, low-value screening. ..
- Caobelli F, Haaf P, Chronis J, Haenny G, Brinkert M, Pfisterer M, et al. Prognostic Usefulness of Cardiac Stress Test Modalities in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Who Underwent Myocardial Perfusion Scintigraphy (from the Basel Asymptomatic High-Risk Diabetics' Outcome Trial). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1098-1103 pubmed publisher..MPS provided an incremental prognostic value in pharmacological patients and in patients with <6METs. In contrast, patients who were able to achieve ?6 METs were at low risk and do not need further risk stratification. ..
- Rossi E, Felici A, Banteyrga L. Subclinical rheumatic heart disease in an Eritrean high-school population, detected by echocardiography. J Heart Valve Dis. 2014;23:235-9 pubmed..This has now been commenced in Eritrean primary schools, with the collaboration of local teachers. ..
- Kurosaki Y, Yoshida K, Fukuda H, Handa A, Chin M, Yamagata S. Asymptomatic Carotid T1-High-Intense Plaque as a Risk Factor for a Subsequent Cerebrovascular Ischemic Event. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2017;43:250-256 pubmed publisher..8-27.4; p = 0.004) were associated with the occurrence of subsequent ischemic cerebrovascular events. Asymptomatic carotid T1-high-intense plaque might be a potential high-risk factor for a subsequent cerebrovascular ischemic event. ..
- Koborová I, Gurecká R, Hlavata A, Sebekova K. [Association between asymptomatic hyperuricaemia and metabolic syndrome in the adolescents]. Vnitr Lek. 2015;61:42-9 pubmed..Randomized controlled prospective clinical studies are needed to elucidate whether uric acid-lowering management would beneficially affect the prevalence of metabolic syndrome, and the incidence of cardiovascular disease. ..
- LeBlanc E, Zakher B, Daeges M, Pappas M, Chou R. Screening for vitamin D deficiency: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162:109-22 pubmed publisher..Treatment of vitamin D deficiency in asymptomatic persons might reduce mortality risk in institutionalized elderly persons and risk for falls but not fractures. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. ..
- Guerbaii R, Fustier G, Ennezat P, Ringle A, Trouillet C, Graux P, et al. Asymptomatic aortic stenosis: An assessment of patients' and of their general practitioners' knowledge, after an indexed specialized assessment in community practice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178932 pubmed publisher..AS patients were not properly informed about their diagnosis and symptomatology. Hence, therapeutic education should be improved for patients with asymptomatic AS and continuous medical education on VHD should be reinforced, for GPs. ..
- Moyer V. Screening for gestational diabetes mellitus: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:414-20 pubmed publisher..B recommendation)The USPSTF concludes that the current evidence is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of screening for GDM in asymptomatic pregnant women before 24 weeks of gestation. (I statement). ..
- Wasel B, Keough V, Huang W, Molinari M. Histological percutaneous diagnosis of stage IV microcystic serous cystadenocarcinoma of the pancreas. BMJ Case Rep. 2013;2013: pubmed publisher..Subsequent investigations revealed an additional large mass in the pancreas and percutaneous biopsies of both lesions revealed histological features consistent with malignant SCN metastasised to the left hepatic lobe. ..
- Lin J, Olson C, Johnson E, Whitlock E. The ankle-brachial index for peripheral artery disease screening and cardiovascular disease prediction among asymptomatic adults: a systematic evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:333-41 pubmed publisher..Adding the ABI to the FRS probably has limited value for predicting CAD or CVD. Treatment benefits for asymptomatic individuals with screen-detected PAD are not established. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. ..
- Zhang Q, Jiang R, Wang Y, Zhang S, Chen S, Zhang Y, et al. Relation of Ideal Cardiovascular Health Metrics to Asymptomatic Polyvascular Disease in a Chinese Population. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:393-398 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we observed a significant inverse gradient association between the number of ideal CVH metrics and prevalence of asymptomatic polyVD. ..
- Urfer S, Kaeberlein T, Mailheau S, Bergman P, Creevy K, Promislow D, et al. Asymptomatic heart valve dysfunction in healthy middle-aged companion dogs and its implications for cardiac aging. GeroScience. 2017;39:43-50 pubmed publisher..Future studies should address whether dogs with asymptomatic valve disease are at higher risk for subsequent morbidity or early death. ..
- López Melgar B, Fernandez Friera L, Oliva B, García Ruíz J, Peñalvo J, Gómez Talavera S, et al. Subclinical Atherosclerosis Burden by 3D Ultrasound in Mid-Life: The PESA Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:301-313 pubmed publisher..Progression of Early Subclinical Atherosclerosis [PESA] Study; NCT01410318). ..
- Loeffler J, Obara H, Fujimura N, Bove P, Newton D, Zettervall S, et al. Medical therapy and intervention do not improve uncomplicated isolated mesenteric artery dissection outcomes over observation alone. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:202-208 pubmed publisher..Symptomatic isolated mesenteric artery dissection without evidence of ischemia does not require anticoagulation and may be treated with antiplatelet therapy or observation alone. ..
- Shpakov A. [The role of alterations in the brain signaling systems regulated by insulin, IGF-1 and leptin in the transition of impaired glucose tolerance to overt type 2 diabetes mellitus]. Tsitologiia. 2014;56:789-99 pubmed
- Wilt T, Harris R, Qaseem A. Screening for cancer: advice for high-value care from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162:718-25 pubmed publisher..The ACP strongly encourages clinicians to adopt a cancer screening strategy that focuses on reaching all eligible persons with these high-value screening options while reducing overly intensive, low-value screening. ..
- Bredin S, Gledhill N, Jamnik V, Warburton D. PAR-Q+ and ePARmed-X+: new risk stratification and physical activity clearance strategy for physicians and patients alike. Can Fam Physician. 2013;59:273-7 pubmed
- Madder R, VanOosterhout S, Klungle D, Mulder A, Elmore M, Decker J, et al. Multimodality Intracoronary Imaging With Near-Infrared Spectroscopy and Intravascular Ultrasound in Asymptomatic Individuals With High Calcium Scores. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..This observation may have implications on coronary risk among individuals with a high CACS considering that it is coronary LRP, rather than calcification, that underlies the majority of acute coronary events. ..
- Masoomi R, Shah Z, Dawn B, Vamanan K, Nanjundappa A, Gupta K. Progression of external and internal carotid artery stenosis is associated with a higher risk of ischemic neurologic events in patients with asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. Vasc Med. 2017;22:418-423 pubmed publisher..The ECA is routinely evaluated in clinical practice, and it could serve as an additional marker for identifying higher risk patients with ACAS. ..
- Moifo B, Moulion Tapouh J, Dongmo Fomekong S, Djomou F, Manka a Wankie E. Ultrasonographic prevalence and characteristics of non-palpable thyroid incidentalomas in a hospital-based population in a sub-Saharan country. BMC Med Imaging. 2017;17:21 pubmed publisher..3% and potential risk of malignancy in 12.9%. Prevalence had a tendency to increase with age and in female. Cystic nodules were the most prevalent. Potential for malignancy would be increased for larger and solid nodules. ..
- Phan B, Weigel B, Ma Y, Scherzer R, Li D, Hur S, et al. Utility of 2013 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Cholesterol Guidelines in HIV-Infected Adults With Carotid Atherosclerosis. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..HIV-specific guidelines that include detection of subclinical atherosclerosis may help to identify HIV-infected adults who are at increased atherosclerotic CVD risk and may be considered for statins. ..
- King J, Patrick M, Schnetzer R, Farmer K, Struk A, Garvan C, et al. Multivariate Analysis of Blood Transfusion Rates After Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2017;26:40-47 pubmed..Protocol based on symptomatic anemia results in low transfusion rates after primary TSA and RTSA. ..