Genomes and Genes
Summary: A condition characterized by infiltration of the lung with EOSINOPHILS due to inflammation or other disease processes. Major eosinophilic lung diseases are the eosinophilic pneumonias caused by infections, allergens, or toxic agents.
- Kim H, Lee D, Lee S, Seong A, Gin D, Hwang J, et al. Chlorogenic acid suppresses pulmonary eosinophilia, IgE production, and Th2-type cytokine production in an ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma: activation of STAT-6 and JNK is inhibited by chlorogenic acid. Int Immunopharmacol. 2010;10:1242-8 pubmed publisher..CGA significantly reduced pulmonary eosinophilia and expression of IL-4, IL-5 and TNF-? in the lung as well as the serum levels of total and OVA-specific ..
- Jeong Y, Kim K, Seo I, Lee C, Lee K, Kim K, et al. Eosinophilic lung diseases: a clinical, radiologic, and pathologic overview. Radiographics. 2007;27:617-37; discussion 637-9 pubmed..They are classified as eosinophilic lung diseases of unknown cause (simple pulmonary eosinophilia [SPE], acute eosinophilic pneumonia [AEP], chronic eosinophilic pneumonia [CEP], idiopathic ..
- Katz U, Shoenfeld Y. Pulmonary eosinophilia. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2008;34:367-71 pubmed publisher..Migratory peripheral infiltrates are seen in the chest x-ray film. Both acute and chronic eosinophilic pneumonia are treated by glucocorticoids and respiratory support as well as avoidance of any recognized trigger. ..
- Chitkara R, Krishna G. Parasitic pulmonary eosinophilia. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;27:171-84 pubmed..b>Pulmonary eosinophilia occurs in almost all metazoan infections...
- Allen J. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;27:142-7 pubmed..In some patients, acute eosinophilic pneumonia may be caused by drugs, tobacco smoke, or other inhaled substances; however, in the majority of patients, the condition is idiopathic. ..
- Johnson T, Rothenberg M, Graham B. Pulmonary eosinophilia requires interleukin-5, eotaxin-1, and CD4+ T cells in mice immunized with respiratory syncytial virus G glycoprotein. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:748-59 pubmed publisherSevere illness, type 2 cytokine production, and pulmonary eosinophilia are adverse immune responses resulting from respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) challenge of vvGs-immunized mice...
- Kahn J, Girszyn N, Bletry O. [Diagnosis of non-parasitic hypereosinophilia]. Presse Med. 2006;35:144-52 pubmed..Corticosteroids are the first-line therapy. Mepolizumab, an anti-IL-5 monoclonal antibody, currently being evaluated, seems promising. Despite recent progress, about 40% of the cases of hypereosinophilic syndrome remain unexplained. ..
- Miller B, Gray A, Leblanc T, Sexton D, Martin A, Slama T. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia secondary to daptomycin: a report of three cases. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:e63-8 pubmed publisher..Clinical suspicion for this adverse drug event and cessation of daptomycin until definitive diagnosis can be made is crucial. ..
- Wood L, Powell H, Gibson P. Mannitol challenge for assessment of airway responsiveness, airway inflammation and inflammatory phenotype in asthma. Clin Exp Allergy. 2010;40:232-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that mannitol can be used to induce good-quality sputum, useful for analysis of inflammatory mediators and for predicting the inflammatory phenotype in asthma. ..
- Vijayan V. Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia: pathogenesis, diagnosis and management. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2007;13:428-33 pubmedTropical pulmonary eosinophilia is predominantly seen in the tropical and subtropical regions of the world. It is being increasingly reported from other parts of world, however, due to increases in global travel and migration...
- Melendi G, Hoffman S, Karron R, Irusta P, Laham F, Humbles A, et al. C5 modulates airway hyperreactivity and pulmonary eosinophilia during enhanced respiratory syncytial virus disease by decreasing C3a receptor expression. J Virol. 2007;81:991-9 pubmed..was characterized by immune complex-mediated airway hyperreactivity and a severe pneumonia associated with pulmonary eosinophilia. In this paper, we show that complement factors contribute to enhanced-disease phenotypes...
- Jeong K, Hwang S, Oh G, Park J. FICZ, a tryptophan photoproduct, suppresses pulmonary eosinophilia and Th2-type cytokine production in a mouse model of ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma. Int Immunopharmacol. 2012;13:377-85 pubmed publisher..FICZ significantly reduced pulmonary eosinophilia and Th2 cytokine expression in the lungs...
- Gauvreau G, Boulet L, Cockcroft D, Baatjes A, Cote J, Deschesnes F, et al. Antisense therapy against CCR3 and the common beta chain attenuates allergen-induced eosinophilic responses. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008;177:952-8 pubmed publisher..05). No serious adverse events were reported. TPI ASM8 attenuates the allergen-induced increase in target gene mRNA and airway responses in subjects with mild asthma. Clinical trial registered with www.clinicaltrials.gov (NCT 00264966). ..
- Esnault S, Rosenthal L, Shen Z, Sedgwick J, Szakaly R, Sorkness R, et al. A critical role for Pin1 in allergic pulmonary eosinophilia in rats. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;120:1082-8 pubmed..We sought to determine the effect of Pin1 inhibition on pulmonary eosinophilia after allergen challenge...
- Campos L, Pereira L. Pulmonary eosinophilia. J Bras Pneumol. 2009;35:561-73 pubmedb>Pulmonary eosinophilia comprises a heterogeneous group of diseases defined by eosinophilia in pulmonary infiltrates (bronchoalveolar lavage fluid) or in tissue (lung biopsy specimens)...
- Solomon J, Schwarz M. Drug-, toxin-, and radiation therapy-induced eosinophilic pneumonia. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;27:192-7 pubmed..Radiation therapy has also been associated with the development of eosinophilic pneumonia in patients receiving this treatment for breast cancer. ..
- Murdock B, Falkowski N, Shreiner A, Sadighi Akha A, McDonald R, White E, et al. Interleukin-17 drives pulmonary eosinophilia following repeated exposure to Aspergillus fumigatus conidia. Infect Immun. 2012;80:1424-36 pubmed publisher..These observations point to an expanded role for IL-17 in driving T(H)2-type inflammation to repeated inhalation of fungal conidia. ..
- Taylor D, Pijnenburg M, Smith A, de Jongste J. Exhaled nitric oxide measurements: clinical application and interpretation. Thorax. 2006;61:817-27 pubmed..However, a number of issues still need to be resolved, including the diagnostic role of F(E)NO in preschool children and the use of reference values versus individual F(E)NO profiles in managing patients with difficult or severe asthma. ..
- Chen L, Lai K, Xie J, Zhong N. Establishment of airway eosinophilic bronchitis mouse model without hyperresponsiveness by ovalbumin. Clin Exp Med. 2011;11:19-24 pubmed publisher..A mouse model of EB without AHR can be established by 10 ?g OVA challenge and provides a useful tool for studying AHR mechanisms. ..
- Brightling C, Monteiro W, Ward R, Parker D, Morgan M, Wardlaw A, et al. Sputum eosinophilia and short-term response to prednisolone in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2000;356:1480-5 pubmed..The possibility that sputum eosinophilia identifies a subgroup of patients who particularly respond to long-term treatment with inhaled corticosteroids should be investigated. ..
- Hall L, Mehlotra R, Higgins A, Haxhiu M, Pearlman E. An essential role for interleukin-5 and eosinophils in helminth-induced airway hyperresponsiveness. Infect Immun. 1998;66:4425-30 pubmed..parasitic helminth Brugia malayi can result in development of a severe asthmatic response termed tropical pulmonary eosinophilia. This disease, thought to result from a host inflammatory response to blood parasites which become trapped ..
- Philit F, Etienne Mastroianni B, Parrot A, Guerin C, Robert D, Cordier J. Idiopathic acute eosinophilic pneumonia: a study of 22 patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166:1235-9 pubmed..is characterized by acute febrile respiratory failure associated with diffuse radiographic infiltrates and pulmonary eosinophilia. We conducted a multicenter retrospective study to characterize this rare clinical entity further and to ..
- Cottin V, Frognier R, Monnot H, Levy A, DeVuyst P, Cordier J. Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia after radiation therapy for breast cancer. Eur Respir J. 2004;23:9-13 pubmed
- Shorr A, Scoville S, Cersovsky S, Shanks G, Ockenhouse C, Smoak B, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia among US Military personnel deployed in or near Iraq. JAMA. 2004;292:2997-3005 pubmed..All but 1 reported significant exposure to fine airborne sand or dust. Known causes of pulmonary eosinophilia (eg, drug exposures or parasitic disease) were not identified...
- Kung T, Crawley Y, Jones H, Luo B, Gilchrest H, Greenfeder S, et al. Tachykinin NK3-receptor deficiency does not inhibit pulmonary eosinophilia in allergic mice. Pharmacol Res. 2004;50:611-5 pubmed..These results find no role for tachykinin NK3-receptors on the pulmonary eosinophilia and lung damage after antigen challenge in mice.
- Riffo Vasquez Y, Spina D, Thomas M, Gilbey T, Kemeny D, Page C. The role of CD23 on allergen-induced IgE levels, pulmonary eosinophilia and bronchial hyperresponsiveness in mice. Clin Exp Allergy. 2000;30:728-38 pubmed
- Mehlotra R, Hall L, Haxhiu M, Pearlman E. Reciprocal immunomodulatory effects of gamma interferon and interleukin-4 on filaria-induced airway hyperresponsiveness. Infect Immun. 2001;69:1463-8 pubmedTropical pulmonary eosinophilia (TPE) is a severe asthmatic syndrome of lymphatic filariasis, in which an allergic response is induced to microfilariae (Mf) in the lungs...
- Zhang Y, Rogers K, Lewis D. Beta 2-microglobulin-dependent T cells are dispensable for allergen-induced T helper 2 responses. J Exp Med. 1996;184:1507-12 pubmed..OVA-treated beta 2m -/- mice had circulating levels of total and OVA-specific IgE, pulmonary eosinophilia, and expression of IL-4, IL-5, and IL-13 mRNA in bronchial lymph node tissue similar to that of OVA-..
- Gibson P, Dolovich J, Denburg J, Ramsdale E, Hargreave F. Chronic cough: eosinophilic bronchitis without asthma. Lancet. 1989;1:1346-8 pubmed..Airway inflammation with eosinophils and metachromatic cells is not always accompanied by increased airway responsiveness, and current definitions of obstructive airways disease may need to be revised. ..
- Broide D, Sullivan S, Gifford T, Sriramarao P. Inhibition of pulmonary eosinophilia in P-selectin- and ICAM-1-deficient mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1998;18:218-25 pubmed..These studies suggest an important role for ICAM-1 and P-selectin in eosinophil recruitment to the lung after allergen challenge. ..
- Russo M, Nahori M, Lefort J, Gomes E, de Castro Keller A, Rodriguez D, et al. Suppression of asthma-like responses in different mouse strains by oral tolerance. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2001;24:518-26 pubmed..Collectively, our findings show for the first time the beneficial and detrimental effects of oral Ag administration on the development of experimental asthma. ..
- Oh J, Seroogy C, Meyer E, Akbari O, Berry G, Fathman C, et al. CD4 T-helper cells engineered to produce IL-10 prevent allergen-induced airway hyperreactivity and inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;110:460-8 pubmed
- Jaffar Z, Sivakuru T, Roberts K. CD4+CD25+ T cells regulate airway eosinophilic inflammation by modulating the Th2 cell phenotype. J Immunol. 2004;172:3842-9 pubmed..Conceivably, this is partly a consequence of regulatory T cells facilitating the production of IL-10. ..
- Shinagawa K, Kojima M. Mouse model of airway remodeling: strain differences. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003;168:959-67 pubmed..In particular, useful qualitative and quantitative information relating to the structural and histologic changes in the lungs may be obtainable using this model. ..
- Nutman T, Vijayan V, Pinkston P, Kumaraswami V, Steel C, Crystal R, et al. Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia: analysis of antifilarial antibody localized to the lung. J Infect Dis. 1989;160:1042-50 pubmedAcute tropical pulmonary eosinophilia (TPE) is characterized by wheezing, pulmonary infiltrates, marked peripheral blood eosinophilia, and very high serum levels of filaria-specific antibodies...
- Crosby J, Shen H, Borchers M, Justice J, Ansay T, Lee J, et al. Ectopic expression of IL-5 identifies an additional CD4(+) T cell mechanism of airway eosinophil recruitment. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2002;282:L99-108 pubmed..1726 CD4(-/-) mice, suggesting that eosinophil trafficking during allergic inflammatory responses is a consequence of a CD4(+) cell-mediated event(s) in addition to IL-5 expression and the establishment of a pulmonary chemokine gradient...
- Lobos E, Nutman T, Hothersall J, Moncada S. Elevated immunoglobulin E against recombinant Brugia malayi gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase in patients with bancroftian filariasis: association with tropical pulmonary eosinophilia or putative immunity. Infect Immun. 2003;71:747-53 pubmed..malayi, a homologue of gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (gamma-GT), is involved in the pathology of tropical pulmonary eosinophilia (TPE) through its potent allergenicity and the induction of antibodies against the host pulmonary ..
- Peixoto C, Alves L, Ferreira Da Silva L, Pires M, Rocha A. Localisation and distribution of Wuchereria bancrofti antigens recognised by antisera from tropical pulmonary eosinophilia and from individuals with intestinal helminths. J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol. 2003;35:61-8 pubmedSerological analyses of sera from patients with a typical picture of filarial tropical pulmonary eosinophilia (TPE) and sera from patients from a region non-endemic for filariasis harbouring intestinal helminths, as Ascaris lumbricoides ..
- Humphreys I, Edwards L, Walzl G, Rae A, Dougan G, Hill S, et al. OX40 ligation on activated T cells enhances the control of Cryptococcus neoformans and reduces pulmonary eosinophilia. J Immunol. 2003;170:6125-32 pubmedb>Pulmonary eosinophilia induced in C57BL/6 mice after Cryptococcus neoformans infection is driven by CD4(+) Th2 cells. The immunological mechanisms that protect against eosinophilia are not fully understood...
- Kobayashi T, Iijima K, Kita H. Marked airway eosinophilia prevents development of airway hyper-responsiveness during an allergic response in IL-5 transgenic mice. J Immunol. 2003;170:5756-63 pubmed..Overall, the roles of eosinophils in asthma and in animal models need to be addressed carefully for their potentially detrimental and beneficial effects. ..
- Haynes L, Jones L, Barskey A, Anderson L, Tripp R. Enhanced disease and pulmonary eosinophilia associated with formalin-inactivated respiratory syncytial virus vaccination are linked to G glycoprotein CX3C-CX3CR1 interaction and expression of substance P. J Virol. 2003;77:9831-44 pubmed..Enhanced pulmonary disease is characterized by pulmonary eosinophilia and is associated with a substantial inflammatory response...
- Rom W, Weiden M, Garcia R, Yie T, Vathesatogkit P, Tse D, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia in a New York City firefighter exposed to World Trade Center dust. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166:797-800 pubmed..Acute eosinophilic pneumonia is a rare consequence of acute high dust exposure. World Trade Center dust consists of large particle-size silicates, but fly ash and asbestos fibers may be found in bronchoalveolar lavage cells. ..
- Marchand E, Etienne Mastroianni B, Chanez P, Lauque D, Leclerc P, Cordier J. Idiopathic chronic eosinophilic pneumonia and asthma: how do they influence each other?. Eur Respir J. 2003;22:8-13 pubmed..The occurrence of idiopathic chronic eosinophilic pneumonia in asthmatics is often associated with the development of severe asthma. ..
- Uller L, Persson C, Kallstrom L, Erjefält J. Lung tissue eosinophils may be cleared through luminal entry rather than apoptosis: effects of steroid treatment. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164:1948-56 pubmed
- Camus P, Fanton A, Bonniaud P, Camus C, Foucher P. Interstitial lung disease induced by drugs and radiation. Respiration. 2004;71:301-26 pubmed..Rechallenge is justified in a minority of patients, and is discouraged for diagnostic purposes only. Pneumotox (www.pneumotox.com) provides updated information on drug-induced respiratory disease. ..
- Magnaval J, Berry A. Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:635-6 pubmed
- Johkoh T, Muller N, Akira M, Ichikado K, Suga M, Ando M, et al. Eosinophilic lung diseases: diagnostic accuracy of thin-section CT in 111 patients. Radiology. 2000;216:773-80 pubmed..with allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA), 13 with acute eosinophilic pneumonia, 12 with simple pulmonary eosinophilia, 11 with drug-induced eosinophilic pneumonia, and three with hypereosinophilic syndrome-were assessed ..
- Wang J, Palmer K, Lotvall J, Milan S, Lei X, Matthaei K, et al. Circulating, but not local lung, IL-5 is required for the development of antigen-induced airways eosinophilia. J Clin Invest. 1998;102:1132-41 pubmed..These findings also provide the rationale for developing strategies to target circulating IL-5 and/or its receptors in bone marrow to effectively control asthmatic airways eosinophilia. ..
- Katoh S, Matsumoto N, Matsumoto K, Fukushima K, Matsukura S. Elevated interleukin-18 levels in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of patients with eosinophilic pneumonia. Allergy. 2004;59:850-6 pubmed..Our findings suggest that IL-18 may contribute to Th2 cytokine-dominant responses in patients with EP in collaboration with IL-2. ..
- Srikiatkhachorn A, Braciale T. Virus-specific CD8+ T lymphocytes downregulate T helper cell type 2 cytokine secretion and pulmonary eosinophilia during experimental murine respiratory syncytial virus infection. J Exp Med. 1997;186:421-32 pubmed..to RSV-G (attachment) glycoprotein exhibit a strong interleukin (IL)-4 and IL-5 response and develop pulmonary eosinophilia, whereas mice sensitized to RSV-F (fusion) glycoprotein develop a predominantly T helper cell (Th)1 ..
- O Bryan L, Pinkston P, Kumaraswami V, Vijayan V, Yenokida G, Rosenberg H, et al. Localized eosinophil degranulation mediates disease in tropical pulmonary eosinophilia. Infect Immun. 2003;71:1337-42 pubmedTo explore the mechanisms underlying the eosinophil-mediated inflammation of tropical pulmonary eosinophilia (TPE), bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid, serum, and supernatants from pulmonary and blood leukocytes (WBC) from patients with ..
- Wubbel C, Fulmer D, Sherman J. Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia: a case report and national survey. Chest. 2003;123:1763-6 pubmed..The survey showed a low prevalence of acute eosinophilic pneumonia and CEP in the pediatric population, with an overall male/female ratio of 1.6:1. ..
- Walter D, McIntire J, Berry G, McKenzie A, Donaldson D, DeKruyff R, et al. Critical role for IL-13 in the development of allergen-induced airway hyperreactivity. J Immunol. 2001;167:4668-75 pubmed..Therefore, treatment of human asthma with antagonists of IL-13 may be very effective. ..