Summary: Absence of air in the entire or part of a lung, such as an incompletely inflated neonate lung or a collapsed adult lung. Pulmonary atelectasis can be caused by airway obstruction, lung compression, fibrotic contraction, or other factors.
- Rothen H, Sporre B, Engberg G, Wegenius G, Reber A, Hedenstierna G. Atelectasis and pulmonary shunting during induction of general anaesthesia--can they be avoided?. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1996;40:524-9 pubmed..By using a mixture containing 30% oxygen in nitrogen, the early formation of atelectasis and pulmonary shunt may, at least in part, be avoided. ..
- Retamal J, Bergamini B, Carvalho A, Bozza F, Borzone G, Borges J, et al. Non-lobar atelectasis generates inflammation and structural alveolar injury in the surrounding healthy tissue during mechanical ventilation. Crit Care. 2014;18:505 pubmed publisher..The present findings suggest that a local non-lobar atelectasis acts as a stress concentrator, generating structural alveolar injury and inflammation in the surrounding lung tissue. ..
- Brooks Brunn J. Postoperative atelectasis and pneumonia: risk factors. Am J Crit Care. 1995;4:340-9; quiz 350-1 pubmed..Early identification of patients at risk for postoperative pulmonary complications can guide our respiratory care to prevent or minimize these complications. ..
- Farneti P, Sciarretta V, Macrì G, Piccin O, Pasquini E. Silent sinus syndrome and maxillary sinus atelectasis in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;98:150-157 pubmed publisher..Chronic maxillary atelectasis or SSS should be considered as a possible cause of persistent headache of unknown origin in pediatric patients. ..
- Baraka A, Moghrabi R, Yazigi A. Unilateral pulmonary oedema/atelectasis in the lateral decubitus position. Anaesthesia. 1987;42:171-4 pubmed..This appears to have been due to ventilation-perfusion mismatch, although other factors were considered. The patient recovered following 36 hours of intermittent positive pressure ventilation of the lungs. ..
- Strandberg A, Tokics L, Brismar B, Lundquist H, Hedenstierna G. Constitutional factors promoting development of atelectasis during anaesthesia. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1987;31:21-4 pubmed..This finding might partly explain why overweight patients develop postoperative pulmonary complications more often than non-obese patients. ..
- Dolovich M, Rushbrook J, Churchill E, Mazza M, Powles A. Effect of continuous lateral rotational therapy on lung mucus transport in mechanically ventilated patients. J Crit Care. 1998;13:119-25 pubmed..Positional drainage effected by short duration CLRT did not appear to stimulate significant mucous removal from the lung in critically ill patients but also did not cause any adverse effects. ..
- Chang S, Chang H, Shiao G, Perng R. Effect of body position on gas exchange in patients with unilateral central airway lesions. Down with the good lung?. Chest. 1993;103:787-91 pubmed
- Hedenstierna G, Tokics L, Lundquist H, Andersson T, Strandberg A, Brismar B. Phrenic nerve stimulation during halothane anesthesia. Effects of atelectasis. Anesthesiology. 1994;80:751-60 pubmed..5 and 5.2 cm2, respectively. The findings indicate that contracting the diaphragm in the anesthetized subject reduces the size of atelectasis. ..
- Scelsi C, Khasnavis T, Patel N, Keshavamurthy J, Davis W. Persistent Lobar Atelectasis in a Patient With Chronic Hoarseness. Chest. 2017;151:e107-e113 pubmed publisher..She denied any worsening hoarseness or any other vocal changes. She did report a positive family history of squamous cell lung cancer in her father. ..
- Ozturk E, Tanıdır I, Yildiz O, Ergul Y, Guzeltas A. The Efficacy of Thoracic Ultrasonography in Postoperative Newborn Patients after Cardiac Surgery. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;32:283-287 pubmed publisher..In this study, the efficacy of thoracic ultrasonography during echocardiography was evaluated in newborns...
- Liu J, Chen S, Liu F, Li Q, Kong X, Feng Z. The diagnosis of neonatal pulmonary atelectasis using lung ultrasonography. Chest. 2015;147:1013-1019 pubmed publisher..many kinds of lung conditions, but few studies have investigated ultrasound for the diagnosis of neonatal pulmonary atelectasis (NAP). In this study, we evaluated the usefulness of lung ultrasonography for the diagnosis of NPA...
- Neumann P, Berglund J, Fernandez Mondejar E, Magnusson A, Hedenstierna G. Dynamics of lung collapse and recruitment during prolonged breathing in porcine lung injury. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1998;85:1533-43 pubmed..In this experimental setting, expiration times <0.6 s are required to avoid cyclic alveolar collapse during mechanical ventilation without extrinsic positive end-expiratory pressure. ..
- Brismar B, Hedenstierna G, Lundquist H, Strandberg A, Svensson L, Tokics L. Pulmonary densities during anesthesia with muscular relaxation--a proposal of atelectasis. Anesthesiology. 1985;62:422-8 pubmed..The four awake subjects showed no lung densities after 90 min in the supine position. It is suggested that these crest-shaped densities represent atelectases, which develop by compression of lung tissue rather than by resorption of gas. ..
- Neumann P, Rothen H, Berglund J, Valtysson J, Magnusson A, Hedenstierna G. Positive end-expiratory pressure prevents atelectasis during general anaesthesia even in the presence of a high inspired oxygen concentration. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1999;43:295-301 pubmed..PEEP = 10 cmH2O reduced atelectasis formation after a VCM, when FiO2 = 1.0 was used. Thus, a VCM followed by PEEP = 10 cmH2O should be considered when patients are ventilated with a high FiO2 and gas exchange is impaired. ..
- Domino K, Wetstein L, Glasser S, Lindgren L, Marshall C, Harken A, et al. Influence of mixed venous oxygen tension (PVO2) on blood flow to atelectatic lung. Anesthesiology. 1983;59:428-34 pubmed..A 40% reduction in cardiac output significantly decreased transmural pulmonary artery pressure but did not affect PaO2, QS/QT%, or QL%.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Guimarães M, El Dib R, Smith A, Matos D. Incentive spirometry for prevention of postoperative pulmonary complications in upper abdominal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;:CD006058 pubmed publisher..There is a case for large randomized trials of high methodological rigour in order to define any benefit from the use of incentive spirometry regarding mortality. ..
- Gentilello L, Thompson D, Tonnesen A, Hernandez D, Kapadia A, Allen S, et al. Effect of a rotating bed on the incidence of pulmonary complications in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med. 1988;16:783-6 pubmed..50 were not significantly different, but tended to be higher in the control group. Survival and the incidence of decubitus ulcers were similar. ..
- . Haemolytic disease of the newborn with pulmonary atelectasis. Bristol Med Chir J. 1967;82:46-53 pubmed
- Hasan F, Beller T, Sobonya R, Heller N, Brown G. Effect of positive end-expiratory pressure and body position in unilateral lung injury. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol. 1982;52:147-54 pubmed
- Rothen H, Sporre B, Engberg G, Wegenius G, Reber A, Hedenstierna G. Prevention of atelectasis during general anaesthesia. Lancet. 1995;345:1387-91 pubmed..Use of a lower oxygen concentration than is now standard practice might prevent the early formation of atelectasis. ..
- Suki B, Alencar A, Sujeer M, Lutchen K, Collins J, Andrade J, et al. Life-support system benefits from noise. Nature. 1998;393:127-8 pubmed
- Patterson J, Graham D, George A, Will M, Sutter D. Right Middle Lobe Collapse and Pleural Effusion in an 18-Year-Old Man. Chest. 2017;152:e33-e38 pubmed publisher..He denied any other recent travel or contact with persons with pulmonary TB or other respiratory illnesses. His medical history was significant for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and sickle cell trait. ..
- McCulloch P, Forkert P, Froese A. Lung volume maintenance prevents lung injury during high frequency oscillatory ventilation in surfactant-deficient rabbits. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1988;137:1185-92 pubmed..For optimal outcome using high frequency oscillatory ventilation, alveoli must be actively reexpanded and then kept expanded using appropriate mean airway pressures. ..
- Maddali M, Kandachar P, Al Hanshi S, Al Ghafri M, Valliattu J. Mechanical cause for acute left lung atelectasis after neonatal aortic arch repair with arterial switch operation: Conservative management. Ann Card Anaesth. 2017;20:252-255 pubmed publisher..Fiber-optic bronchoscopy revealed vascular compression as the real culprit. The child was successfully managed conservatively. ..
- Reber A, Nylund U, Hedenstierna G. Position and shape of the diaphragm: implications for atelectasis formation. Anaesthesia. 1998;53:1054-61 pubmed..This minor movement of the diaphragm may play an additional role in atelectasis formation. ..
- Bendixen H, Hedley Whyte J, Laver M. IMPAIRED OXYGENATION IN SURGICAL PATIENTS DURING GENERAL ANESTHESIA WITH CONTROLLED VENTILATION. A CONCEPT OF ATELECTASIS. N Engl J Med. 1963;269:991-6 pubmed
- Klingstedt C, Hedenstierna G, Baehrendtz S, Lundqvist H, Strandberg A, Tokics L, et al. Ventilation-perfusion relationships and atelectasis formation in the supine and lateral positions during conventional mechanical and differential ventilation. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1990;34:421-9 pubmed..DV + SPEEP was more effective than CV + PEEP in decreasing shunt flow and increasing PaO2 in the lateral position; in addition to this, cardiac output was not affected. ..