Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pathological processes involving any part of the LUNG.
- Verleden S, Vos R, Geenens R, Ruttens D, Vaneylen A, Dupont L, et al. Vitamin D deficiency in lung transplant patients: is it important?. Transplantation. 2012;93:224-9 pubmed publisher..This study raises the potential need for additional vitamin D treatment in lung transplantation and clearly indicates the role of a randomized placebo-controlled trial with vitamin D supplementation, which is ongoing in our center. ..
- Rosanna D, Salvatore C. Reactive oxygen species, inflammation, and lung diseases. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18:3889-900 pubmed..is conceivable that chronic inflammation-induced production of ROS in the lung may predispose individuals to lung diseases. In this review, we discuss mechanisms of oxidant stress in the lung, the role of oxidants in lung disease ..
- Beghe B, Rabe K, Fabbri L. Phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitor therapy for lung diseases. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;188:271-8 pubmed publisher..is highly expressed in leukocytes and other inflammatory cells involved in the pathogenesis of inflammatory lung diseases, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), inhibition of PDE4 has been predicted to ..
- David S, Beddy P, Babar J, Devaraj A. Evolution of CT pulmonary angiography: referral patterns and diagnostic yield in 2009 compared with 2006. Acta Radiol. 2012;53:39-43 pubmed publisher..44). The numbers of CTPAs being performed has increased in three years. The incidence of PE identified has fallen and there has been a modest increase in the number of alternative diagnoses. ..
- Shim B, Pacheco Rodriguez G, Kato J, Darling T, Vaughan M, Moss J. Sex-specific lung diseases: effect of oestrogen on cultured cells and in animal models. Eur Respir Rev. 2013;22:302-11 pubmed publisher..suggests that sex-specific hormones may contribute to the pathogenesis and/or progression of at least some lung diseases, such as lung adenocarcinoma, lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) and benign metastasising leiomyoma (BML)...
- Inamdar A, Inamdar A. Mesenchymal stem cell therapy in lung disorders: pathogenesis of lung diseases and mechanism of action of mesenchymal stem cell. Exp Lung Res. 2013;39:315-27 pubmed publisher..before MSCs reach to other organ systems thus indicating the feasible and promising approach of MSCs therapy for lung diseases. In this review, we discuss the mechanistic basis for MSCs therapy for asthma, ARDS, COPD, and ILD.
- Hansell D. Classification of diffuse lung diseases: why and how. Radiology. 2013;268:628-40 pubmed publisherThe understanding of complex lung diseases, notably the idiopathic interstitial pneumonias and small airways diseases, owes as much to repeated attempts over the years to classify them as to any single conceptual breakthrough...
- Ferrand R, Desai S, Hopkins C, Elston C, Copley S, Nathoo K, et al. Chronic lung disease in adolescents with delayed diagnosis of vertically acquired HIV infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55:145-52 pubmed publisher..This condition is not obvious at rest. Etiology, prognosis, and response to treatment are currently unknown. ..
- Topic A, Stankovic M, Divac Rankov A, Petrovic Stanojevic N, Mitic Milikic M, Nagorni Obradovic L, et al. Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency in Serbian adults with lung diseases. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2012;16:1282-6 pubmed publisher..Our aim was to determine the distribution of the A1ATD phenotypes/alleles in patients with lung diseases as well as in the Serbian population...
- Rowan C, Hansell D, Renzoni E, Maher T, Wells A, Polkey M, et al. Diffuse cystic lung disease of unexplained cause with coexistent small airway disease: a possible causal relationship?. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012;36:228-34 pubmed publisher..The driving factor remains unknown. ..
- Volpicelli G, Elbarbary M, Blaivas M, Lichtenstein D, Mathis G, Kirkpatrick A, et al. International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound. Intensive Care Med. 2012;38:577-91 pubmed publisher..Recommendations were produced to guide implementation, development, and standardization of lung ultrasound in all relevant settings. ..
- Devine M, Garcia C. Genetic interstitial lung disease. Clin Chest Med. 2012;33:95-110 pubmed publisherThe interstitial lung diseases (ILDs), or diffuse parenchymal lung diseases, are a heterogeneous collection of more than 100 different pulmonary disorders that affect the tissue and spaces surrounding the alveoli...
- Roberts M, Mapel D. Limited lung function: impact of reduced peak expiratory flow on health status, health-care utilization, and expected survival in older adults. Am J Epidemiol. 2012;176:127-34 pubmed publisher..69, 95% CI: 1.24, 2.30). PEF is a valid measure of health status in older persons, and low PEF is an independent predictor of hospitalization and poor subjective mortality assessment. ..
- Jastrzebski D, Ochman M, Ziora D, Labus L, Kowalski K, Wyrwol J, et al. Pulmonary rehabilitation in patients referred for lung transplantation. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;755:19-25 pubmedEffectiveness of pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with chronic obstructive lung diseases, cystic fibrosis, and interstitial lung disease is well documented but little is known about the results of pulmonary rehabilitation in patients ..
- Matveychuk A, Fuks L, Priess R, Hahim I, Shitrit D. Clinical and radiological features of Mycobacterium kansasii and other NTM infections. Respir Med. 2012;106:1472-7 pubmed publisher..kansasii and other nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) because of a lack of direct comparative studies. This retrospective study sought to identify their clinical and radiological features systematically...
- Joseph M, Charles A. Early extracorporeal life support as rescue for Wegener granulomatosis with diffuse alveolar hemorrhage and acute respiratory distress syndrome: a case report and literature review. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2011;27:1163-6 pubmed publisher..The cautious use of anticoagulation should be balanced with the risk of bleeding, mindful of the need for other measures to mitigate severe bleeding if this should occur. ..
- Matsui S, Hebisawa A, Sakai F, Yamamoto H, Terasaki Y, Kurihara Y, et al. Immunoglobulin G4-related lung disease: clinicoradiological and pathological features. Respirology. 2013;18:480-7 pubmed publisher..Because some lymphoproliferative disorders show similar findings, the correlation of clinicoradiological and pathological characteristics is crucial for the diagnosis of IgG4-related lung disease. ..
- Reeves E, Molloy K, Pohl K, McElvaney N. Hypertonic saline in treatment of pulmonary disease in cystic fibrosis. ScientificWorldJournal. 2012;2012:465230 pubmed publisher..This review aims to discuss the described therapeutic benefits of hypertonic saline and specifically to identify novel models of hypertonic saline action independent of airway hydration. ..
- Jørgensen T, Hallas J, Friis S, Herrstedt J. Comorbidity in elderly cancer patients in relation to overall and cancer-specific mortality. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:1353-60 pubmed publisher..Comorbidity was associated with increased overall mortality in elderly cancer patients but not consistently with cancer-specific mortality. ..
- Zheng Y, Bai C, Wang X. Potential significance of telocytes in the pathogenesis of lung diseases. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2012;6:45-9 pubmed publisherMultiple cells play critical roles in the pathogenesis of lung diseases, even though the exact mechanisms are still not clear...
- Davis M, Montpetit A, Hunt J. Exhaled breath condensate: an overview. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2012;32:363-75 pubmed publisher..The nonvolatile constituents and the water-soluble volatile constituents are of particular interest. Several key issues are discussed in this article. ..
- Del Carlo Bernardi F, Ctenas B, da Silva L, Nicodemo A, Saldiva P, Dolhnikoff M, et al. Immune receptors and adhesion molecules in human pulmonary leptospirosis. Hum Pathol. 2012;43:1601-10 pubmed publisher..015). Our results indicate that immune receptors and adhesion molecules participate in the phenomena leading to pulmonary hemorrhage in leptospirosis...
- Luisetti M, Balfour Lynn I, Johnson S, Miravitlles M, Strange C, Trapnell B, et al. Perspectives for improving the evaluation and access of therapies for rare lung diseases in Europe. Respir Med. 2012;106:759-68 pubmed publisher..Small patient cohorts alter clinical trial design and limit enrollment, and the picture for rare lung diseases is further complicated by the fact that most are composed of a variety of clinical phenotypes...
- Turner G, Bunthi C, Wonodi C, Morpeth S, Molyneux C, Zaki S, et al. The role of postmortem studies in pneumonia etiology research. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54 Suppl 2:S165-71 pubmed publisher..However, previous autopsy studies have confirmed the value of histological examination in revealing unsuspected pathogens and influencing clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of future pneumonia cases. ..
- Furuya M, Tanaka R, Koga S, Yatabe Y, Gotoda H, Takagi S, et al. Pulmonary cysts of Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 9 families. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012;36:589-600 pubmed publisher..We propose a new insight, namely, that the BHD syndrome-associated pulmonary cyst may be considered a hamartoma-like cystic alveolar formation associated with deranged mTOR signaling. ..
- von Ranke F, Zanetti G, Hochhegger B, Marchiori E. Infectious diseases causing diffuse alveolar hemorrhage in immunocompetent patients: a state-of-the-art review. Lung. 2013;191:9-18 pubmed publisher..Based on a search of the PubMed and Scopus databases, we review the infectious diseases that may cause DAH in immunocompetent patients...
- Castellucci M, Rossato M, Calzetti F, Tamassia N, Zeminian S, Cassatella M, et al. IL-10 disrupts the Brd4-docking sites to inhibit LPS-induced CXCL8 and TNF-Î± expression in monocytes: Implications for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015;136:781-791.e9 pubmed publisher..Data identify novel molecular targets for therapeutic strategies aimed at dampening inflammation in pathologies such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, in which reduced intracellular HDAC2 levels have been described. ..
- Meteran H, Backer V, Kyvik K, Skytthe A, Thomsen S. Comorbidity between chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and type 2 diabetes: A nation-wide cohort twin study. Respir Med. 2015;109:1026-30 pubmed publisher..The increased risk of type 2 diabetes should be accommodated in the management of patients with chronic bronchitis or COPD. ..
- Ferguson G, Reisner C, Pearle J, DePetrillo P, Maes A, Martin U. Cardiovascular safety profile of a fixed-dose combination of glycopyrrolate and formoterol fumarate delivered via metered dose inhaler using co-suspension delivery technology. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2018;49:67-74 pubmed publisher..4â€¯Î¼g. Furthermore, there were no unexpected safety findings reported in either healthy volunteers or patients with COPD. ..
- Spilsbury K, Rosenwax L. Community-based specialist palliative care is associated with reduced hospital costs for people with non-cancer conditions during the last year of life. BMC Palliat Care. 2017;16:68 pubmed publisher..Community-based specialist palliative care was associated with hospital cost reductions across multiple life-limiting conditions. ..
- Hocke A, Suttorp N, Hippenstiel S. Human lung ex vivo infection models. Cell Tissue Res. 2017;367:511-524 pubmed publisher..models suffer from species differences, which are of particular importance for the investigation of zoonotic lung diseases. The use of cultured ex vivo infected human lung tissue may overcome some of these limitations and complement ..
- Marrie R, Patten S, Tremlett H, Svenson L, Wolfson C, Yu B, et al. Chronic lung disease and multiple sclerosis: Incidence, prevalence, and temporal trends. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2016;8:86-92 pubmed publisher..Given the prevalence of CLD in the MS population, further attention to the effects of CLD on outcomes in MS and approaches to mitigating those effects are warranted. ..
- Poudel R, Shrestha S, Piryani R, Prajapati A, Khatiwada D. Face-to-face Training as an Effective Approach for Teaching Rotahaler Technique in Newly Diagnosed Patients of Asthma and COPD. JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc. 2015;53:148-50 pubmed..Fourteen patients (70%) were able to perform all the steps correctly giving overall median score of eight (7-8). Face-to-face training seems to be effective approach for teaching rotahaler technique in asthma and COPD patients. ..
- Venkatramani R, Kamath S, Wong K, Olch A, Malvar J, Sposto R, et al. Pulmonary outcomes in patients with Hodgkin lymphoma treated with involved field radiation. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014;61:1277-81 pubmed publisher..In survivors of pediatric HL, involved field irradiation was accompanied by a low prevalence of pulmonary symptoms but substantial subclinical dysfunction. Older age at irradiation was associated with worse pulmonary outcomes. ..
- Chung M, Jones R, Harding S, Campbell J. Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Among Older Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Psychiatr Q. 2016;87:605-618 pubmed..In particular, it impacted on the elevated emotional arousal of COPD severity. In turn, COPD severity impacted on older patients' general psychological well-being and depression. ..
- Mariani T. Update on Molecular Biology of Lung Development--Transcriptomics. Clin Perinatol. 2015;42:685-95 pubmed publisher..Additional comments address how these new insights may be informative for chronic lung diseases that occur, or initiate, in the neonatal period...
- Havakuk O, Konigstein M, Ben Assa E, Arbel Y, Abramowitz Y, Halkin A, et al. Steroid therapy and conduction disturbances after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Cardiovasc Ther. 2016;34:325-9 pubmed publisher..Thirty-day mortality and complication rates were similar between the groups. Although safe, steroid treatment prior to TAVI failed to reduce the incidence of new conduction defects and the need for pacemaker implantation. ..
- Kim N, Duncan G, Hanes J, Suk J. Barriers to inhaled gene therapy of obstructive lung diseases: A review. J Control Release. 2016;240:465-488 pubmed publisherKnowledge of genetic origins of obstructive lung diseases has made inhaled gene therapy an attractive alternative to the current standards of care that are limited to managing disease symptoms...
- Chen J, Zhao Q, Liu B, Wang J, Xu H, Zhang Y, et al. [Airway oxidative stress and inflammation markers in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases(COPD) patients are linked with exposure to traffic-related air pollution: a panel study]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2016;50:411-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that short-term exposure to traffic-related air pollution was responsible for exacerbation of airway oxidative stress and inflammation in COPD patients. ..
- Frisk B, Hardie J, Espehaug B, Strand L, Moe Nilssen R, Eagan T, et al. Peak oxygen uptake and breathing pattern in COPD patients--a four-year longitudinal study. BMC Pulm Med. 2015;15:93 pubmed publisher..Increasing static hyperinflation and increasing airway obstruction were related to a reduction in exercise capacity. The breathing pattern changed towards more shallow breathing, and was related to increasing airway obstruction. ..
- Gabel J, Jabo B, Patel S, Kiang S, Bianchi C, Chiriano J, et al. Smoking Habits of Patients Undergoing Treatment for Intermittent Claudication in the Vascular Quality Initiative. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017;44:261-268 pubmed publisher..Elderly patients and those undergoing open procedures were more likely to quit smoking during follow up. These findings suggest opportunities for greater smoking cessation efforts before invasive therapies for intermittent claudication. ..
- Ubags N, Marsland B. Mechanistic insight into the function of the microbiome in lung diseases. Eur Respir J. 2017;50: pubmed publisher..This review provides an overview of the current mechanistic understanding of the microbiome, crosstalk between tissue compartments, and its involvement in respiratory diseases. ..
- Green A, Leff B, Wang Y, Spatz E, Masoudi F, Peterson P, et al. Geriatric Conditions in Patients Undergoing Defibrillator Implantation for Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death: Prevalence and Impact on Mortality. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016;9:23-30 pubmed publisher..These patients had significantly higher 1-year mortality than those with other common chronic conditions. Frailty and dementia should be considered in clinical decision-making and guideline development. ..
- McBain H, Shipley M, Newman S. The impact of self-monitoring in chronic illness on healthcare utilisation: a systematic review of reviews. BMC Health Serv Res. 2015;15:565 pubmed publisher..Further work is needed to determine how these findings affect healthcare costs. ..
- Bokov P, Delclaux C. [Interpretation and use of routine pulmonary function tests: Spirometry, static lung volumes, lung diffusion, arterial blood gas, methacholine challenge test and 6-minute walk test]. Rev Med Interne. 2016;37:100-10 pubmed publisher..The most convenient exertional test is the 6-minute walk test that allows the assessment of walking performance, the search for arterial desaturation and the quantification of dyspnoea complaint. ..
- Baba S, Takashima T, Hirota M, Kawashima M, Horikawa E. Relationship between pulmonary function and elevated glycated hemoglobin levels in health checkups: A cross-sectional observational study in Japanese participants. J Epidemiol. 2017;27:511-515 pubmed publisher..In preventive medicine, PFT by spirometry should be performed in elderly participants with elevated HbA1c levels who are current or former smokers. ..
- Lam M, Royce S, Samuel C, Bourke J. Serelaxin as a novel therapeutic opposing fibrosis and contraction in lung diseases. Pharmacol Ther. 2018;187:61-70 pubmed publisherThe most common therapies for asthma and other chronic lung diseases are anti-inflammatory agents and bronchodilators...
- Ferro B, Srivastava S, Deshpande D, Pasipanodya J, van Soolingen D, Mouton J, et al. Tigecycline Is Highly Efficacious against Mycobacterium abscessus Pulmonary Disease. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:2895-900 pubmed publisher..5 mg/liter. Tigecycline is the most active single agent evaluated to date, and we propose that 200 mg/day be examined as the backbone of new combination therapy regimens to replace current treatment. ..
- Johnson K, Bryan S, Ghanbarian S, Sin D, Sadatsafavi M. Characterizing undiagnosed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Respir Res. 2018;19:26 pubmed publisher..Undiagnosed patients had less severe airflow obstruction and fewer respiratory symptoms than diagnosed patients. The lower disease burden in undiagnosed patients may significantly delay the diagnosis of COPD. ..