Genomes and Genes
Summary: Abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues of any part of the LARYNX, commonly associated with laryngeal injuries and allergic reactions.
- Suominen P, Taivainen T, Tuominen N, Voipio V, Wirtavuori K, Hiller A, et al. Optimally fitted tracheal tubes decrease the probability of postextubation adverse events in children undergoing general anesthesia. Paediatr Anaesth. 2006;16:641-7 pubmed..Adverse events after removal of TT were more likely to occur in children with an absent air leak at 25 cmH(2)O pressure and in children whose anesthesia was provided by a less experienced anesthetist. ..
- Dursun G, Ozgursoy O, Kemal O, Coruh I. One-year follow-up results of combined use of CO2 laser and cold instrumentation for Reinke's edema surgery in professional voice users. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;264:1027-32 pubmed..However, it does not imply that our method is superior to others', but this procedure constitutes an effective treatment of choice for Reinke's edema patients, including professional voice users. ..
- Ding L, Wang H, Wu H, Chang C, Yang P. Laryngeal ultrasound: a useful method in predicting post-extubation stridor. A pilot study. Eur Respir J. 2006;27:384-9 pubmed..The air-column width during cuff deflation was a potential predictor of post-extubation stridor. ..
- Fan T, Wang G, Mao B, Xiong Z, Zhang Y, Liu X, et al. Prophylactic administration of parenteral steroids for preventing airway complications after extubation in adults: meta-analysis of randomised placebo controlled trials. BMJ. 2008;337:a1841 pubmed publisher..Prophylactic administration of steroids in multidose regimens before planned extubation reduces the incidence of laryngeal oedema after extubation and the consequent reintubation rate in adults, with few adverse events. ..
- Marcotullio D, Magliulo G, Pezone T. Reinke's edema and risk factors: clinical and histopathologic aspects. Am J Otolaryngol. 2002;23:81-4 pubmed..Longer durations of exposure to cigarette smoke result in higher degrees of histologic damage. ..
- Jaber S, Chanques G, Matecki S, Ramonatxo M, Vergne C, Souche B, et al. Post-extubation stridor in intensive care unit patients. Risk factors evaluation and importance of the cuff-leak test. Intensive Care Med. 2003;29:69-74 pubmed..A low cuff-leak volume (<130 ml or 12%) around the endotracheal tube prior to extubation is useful in identifying patients at risk for post-extubation stridor. ..
- Oksuz D, Uzel O, Yildirim A, Yetmen O, Sahinler I, Turkan S. Significance of laryngeal edema after partial laryngectomy and radiotherapy in supraglottic cancer. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;37:681-8 pubmedTo evaluate the impact of the presence of laryngeal edema on outcome and the other potential prognostic factors in patients with supraglottic larynx carcinoma treated with radiotherapy after partial laryngectomy. A retrospective analysis...
- Francois B, Bellissant E, Gissot V, Desachy A, Normand S, Boulain T, et al. 12-h pretreatment with methylprednisolone versus placebo for prevention of postextubation laryngeal oedema: a randomised double-blind trial. Lancet. 2007;369:1083-9 pubmed..Such pretreatment should be considered in adult patients before a planned extubation that follows a tracheal intubation of more than 36 h. ..
- Sakae F, Imamura R, Sennes L, Mauad T, Saldiva P, Tsuji D. Disarrangement of collagen fibers in Reinke's edema. Laryngoscope. 2008;118:1500-3 pubmed publisher..47, P = .037). Our findings suggest that the flexible framework which maintains the uniformity of the lamina propria was lost in RE caused by the disarrangement of the collagen fibers. ..
- Chung Y, Chao T, Chiu C, Lin M. The cuff-leak test is a simple tool to verify severe laryngeal edema in patients undergoing long-term mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2006;34:409-14 pubmed..test has been proposed as a simple tool to clinically predict stridor or respiratory distress secondary to laryngeal edema following extubation...
- Bork K, Hardt J, Staubach Renz P, Witzke G. Risk of laryngeal edema and facial swellings after tooth extraction in patients with hereditary angioedema with and without prophylaxis with C1 inhibitor concentrate: a retrospective study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011;112:58-64 pubmed publisher..Facial swelling or potentially life-threatening laryngeal edema, or both, occurred in 124/577 tooth extractions (21.5%) without prophylaxis...
- Roberts R, Welch S, Devlin J. Corticosteroids for prevention of postextubation laryngeal edema in adults. Ann Pharmacother. 2008;42:686-91 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the efficacy and safety of prophylactic corticosteroid therapy in preventing postextubation laryngeal edema (PELE) and the need for reintubation in adults...
- Bork K, Barnstedt S. Treatment of 193 episodes of laryngeal edema with C1 inhibitor concentrate in patients with hereditary angioedema. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161:714-8 pubmed..95 patients with HAE and a functional deficiency of C1-INH belonging to 59 families underwent screening for laryngeal edema. Double-blind treatment of randomized patients was not justifiable because of the life-threatening nature of ..
- Flores Nava G, Mateos Sánchez L, Jurado Hernández V. [Injury in air way of newborn with mechanical ventilation]. Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc. 2008;46:63-6 pubmed..The airway lesions were (%); bronchial stenosis 25.4, laryngotracheobronchitis 18.1, laryngeal edema 10.9, laryngotracheitis 7.2, laryngomalacia 7.2 %, ulcer 7.2, cord paralysis 5.4, granulom 3.6 and normal 3.6...
- Waseem M, Kane M. An uncommon cause of throat pain. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009;25:35-6 pubmed publisher..This injury is rarely seen in isolation. We present a case of laryngeal injury due to blunt trauma to the neck. This case illustrates the potentially serious consequence after an apparently minor traumatic injury...
- Holst B, Berry S, Evans D, Evans R. Laryngeal oedema complicating extubation. Anaesthesia. 2007;62:199-200 pubmed
- Delides A, Sakagiannis G, Maragoudakis P, Gouloumi Î, Katsimbri P, Giotakis I, et al. Dysphagia Caused by Chronic Laryngeal Edema. Dysphagia. 2015;30:583-5 pubmed publisherA rare case of a young female with chronic diffuse laryngeal edema causing severe swallowing difficulty is presented. The patient was previously treated with antibiotics and steroids with no improvement...
- Perera P, Kularathne K, Gawarammana I. Laryngeal edema and metabolic acidosis after Omnicide ingestion. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2008;46:858-60 pubmed publisher..She developed respiratory distress and severe metabolic acidosis 10 hours after admission. Marked laryngeal edema was noted when she was being intubated...
- Miles A, McLellan N, Machan R, Vokes D, Hunting A, McFarlane M, et al. Dysphagia and laryngeal pathology in post-surgical cardiothoracic patients. J Crit Care. 2018;45:121-127 pubmed publisher..Prevalence of abnormality included 39% silent aspiration, 65% laryngeal edema and 61% vocal paralysis. The incidence of pneumonia was 36% with a post-operative stroke rate of 14%...
- Walshe P, Hamilton S, McShane D, McConn Walsh R, Walsh M, Timon C. The potential of virtual laryngoscopy in the assessment of vocal cord lesions. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 2002;27:98-100 pubmed..Its disadvantages are that it does not provide histology, it requires an air-mucosa interface to produce an image and it cannot identify functional lesions of the vocal cords. ..
- Hynam P. An interesting case of postoperative stridor. Anaesthesia. 2003;58:1124-5 pubmed
- Hahn J, Trainotti S, Hoffmann T, Greve J. Drug-Induced Inhibition of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme and Dipeptidyl Peptidase 4 Results in Nearly Therapy Resistant Bradykinin Induced Angioedema: A Case Report. Am J Case Rep. 2017;18:576-579 pubmed..On admission, there was no pharyngeal or laryngeal edema and no dyspnea. Treatment with glucocorticoids and antihistamines had no response...
- Garmendia Zallo M, Sánchez Azkarate A, Kraemer Mbula R, Liarte Ruano I, Nuñez Hernandez A, Cid de Rivera C. [Cross reactivity among proton pump inhibitors: does it exits?]. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2004;32:92-5 pubmed..Skin prick tests may be useful for the diagnosis of cases of suspected allergy to omeprazole and its analogs. We found cross reactivity between three proton pump inhibitors detected by skin tests. ..
- Tsunoda K, Takanozawa M, Choh K. Sudden onset aphonia caused by a Japanese-style bath. J Laryngol Otol. 1998;112:480-1 pubmed..This difference could cause a cold or heat-induced allergic reaction. We strongly recommend a laryngeal study in case of sudden onset aphonia. ..
- Munson P, Saad A, El Jamal S, Dai Y, Bower C, Richter G. Submucosal nerve hypertrophy in congenital laryngomalacia. Laryngoscope. 2011;121:627-9 pubmed publisher..The pathologic finding of nerve hypertrophy in children with laryngomalacia provides new evidence to support neurologic dysfunction as the etiologic theory of laryngomalacia. ..
- Venkatesh K, Rao G. Treatment of supraglottic airway edema by local hyaluronidase. Anesthesiology. 2007;106:1254-5 pubmed
- Krecicki T, Zalesska Krecicka M, Pastuszek P, Rak J, Morawska Kochman M, Zatonski M. Treatment of Reincke's edema among different professional groups: presentation of results. Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2004;17:279-84 pubmed..001). The perceptual assessment of voice, before and after treatment, revealed statistically significant post-treatment improvement in voice quality. ..
- Zuraw B, Christiansen S. Pathophysiology of hereditary angioedema. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2011;25:373-8 pubmed publisher..Because the characteristics and treatment of these angioedemas are quite distinct from each other and from histamine-mediated angioedema, it is crucial that the physician be able to recognize and distinguish these swelling disorders. ..
- Foland J, Super D, Dahdah N, Mhanna M. The use of the air leak test and corticosteroids in intubated children: a survey of pediatric critical care fellowship directors. Respir Care. 2002;47:662-6 pubmed..At an air leak of >or= 30 cm H(2)O most of the surveyed physicians would delay extubation and initiate glucocorticosteroids. ..
- Wang J, Fang R, Peterson A, Jiang J. The Protective Role of Autophagy in Human Vocal Fold Fibroblasts under Cigarette Smoke Extract Exposure: A New Insight into the Study of Reinke's Edema. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2016;78:26-35 pubmed publisher..Autophagy can be induced by CSE in hVFFs, and it is a protective response of hVFFs to the exposure of CSE. This study provides a new insight into the process involved in the development of RE. ..
- Koufman J, Belafsky P. Unilateral or localized Reinke's edema (pseudocyst) as a manifestation of vocal fold paresis: the paresis podule. Laryngoscope. 2001;111:576-80 pubmed..The finding of unilateral Reinke's edema or pseudocyst should alert the clinician to the likelihood of vocal cord paresis. Surgical intervention with medialization laryngoplasty appears to be beneficial. ..
- Paw H, Sharma S. Cricothyroidotomy: a short-term measure for elective ventilation in a patient with challenging neck anatomy. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2006;34:384-7 pubmed..Surgical tracheostomy was considered the preferred option, but this was deemed impossible due to the challenging neck anatomy in this case. ..
- San Luis Calo E, Ares Rodríguez X, Blanco Casais N, Masid Gómez A, Cortinas Diaz J, Alvarez Escudero J. [Utility of heliox during treatment of upper airway obstruction secondary to bilateral vocal cord paralysis after thyroidectomy]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2009;56:319-21 pubmed..Heliox was used temporarily to reduce respiratory effort and avoid the need for tracheal intubation while the obstruction was being treated with antiinflammatory drugs...
- Ino H, Sato H, Furuya A, Okuyama K, Iwashita H, Okawa I, et al. [Spinal anesthesia for a inguinal hernia repair in a small child with laryngeal stenosis]. Masui. 2009;58:1017-20 pubmed..combination with general anesthesia in a 4-year-old child with functional laryngeal stenosis and tendency of laryngeal edema. His airway was managed without endotracheal tube or laryngeal mask airway because these devices could worsen ..
- Beato Martínez A, Moreno Juara A, López Moya J. [Fracture of thyroid cartilage after a sneezing episode]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2007;58:73-4 pubmed..An anterior thyroid fracture without displacement, and a subcutaneous emphysema could be seen on the CT. Thyroid fracture because of this aetiology is most exceptional; only 1 similar case report has been described in the literature. ..
- Hattori Y, Oi Y, Matsuoka R, Daimon Y, Ito A, Kubota W, et al. Pediatric mumps with laryngeal edema. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013;29:1104-6 pubmed publisherMumps virus infection primarily affects the salivary glands and may incur various complications. Laryngeal edema is such a rare complication that few adult cases have been reported...
- Rancati T, Schwarz M, Allen A, Feng F, Popovtzer A, Mittal B, et al. Radiation dose-volume effects in the larynx and pharynx. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;76:S64-9 pubmed publisherThe dose-volume outcome data for RT-associated laryngeal edema, laryngeal dysfunction, and dysphagia, have only recently been addressed, and are summarized...
- Choi J. Two cases of pharyngolaryngeal zoster advanced to multiple cranial neuropathy. Am J Otolaryngol. 2013;34:369-72 pubmed publisher..All of these lesions tended to lateralize to the ipsilateral side and endoscopic findings suggested VZV infections, which were confirmed by serial serologic examinations. ..
- Brockow K, Ring J. [Emergency treatment and management of anaphylaxis]. Hautarzt. 2013;64:81-7 pubmed publisher..Patient educational intervention increases knowledge about anaphylaxis, and practical competence and thus, is a basis of a successful management of anaphylaxis. ..
- Palmiere C, Tettamanti C, Scarpelli M. Vaccination and anaphylaxis: a forensic perspective. Croat Med J. 2017;58:14-25 pubmed..Mast cell tryptase and total IgE concentration was assessed exclusively in one case. Laryngeal edema was not detected in any of these cases, whereas eosinophil or mast cell infiltration was observed in lymphoid ..
- Tsikoudas A, Kochillas X, Vernham G. Reinke's oedema, hormones and hormone replacement therapy. J Laryngol Otol. 2006;120:849-52 pubmed..Some new ideas regarding hormonal factors in Reinke's oedema are discussed. ..
- Saunders M, Rojas A, Parmar M, Dische S. Mature results of a randomized trial of accelerated hyperfractionated versus conventional radiotherapy in head-and-neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;77:3-8 pubmed publisher..002 to 0.05). Severe xerostomia, laryngeal edema, and mucosal necrosis were also significantly lower with CHART (p = 0.02 to 0.05)...
- Mongil E, Muñecas A, Ortega L, Arizaga A. [Airtraq laryngoscope in 3 cases of difficult intubation]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2007;54:451-3 pubmed
- Sato K. Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease with nocturnal gastric acid breakthrough while on proton pump inhibitor therapy. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;263:1121-6 pubmed..The symptoms of the pharynx and esophagus disappeared after taking H2 receptor antagonist (H2RA) additionally before bedtime. ..
- Peters M, Ryley D, Lockwood C. Hereditary angioedema and immunoglobulin A deficiency in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 1988;72:454-5 pubmed..These rarely coexisting conditions may affect pregnancy. We report a gravida with the combination who developed severe acute laryngeal edema.
- Kraft M, Glanz H, Gerlach S, Wisweh H, Lubatschowski H, Arens C. [Morphologic classification of Reinke's edema through optical coherence tomography]. Laryngorhinootologie. 2010;89:224-7 pubmed publisher..The objective of the present study is to evaluate the ability of optical coherence tomography (OCT) to attain a reproducible graduation of Reinke's edema...
- Branski R, Zhou H, Kraus D, Sivasankar M. The effects of cigarette smoke condensate on vocal fold transepithelial resistance and inflammatory signaling in vocal fold fibroblasts. Laryngoscope. 2011;121:601-5 pubmed publisher..These data may suggest a role for the interaction between the inflammatory response in the mucosa and compromised epithelial barrier function, as has been shown in other tissues. ..
- Sommer C, Schultz Coulon H. [Long-term results after microlaryngoscopic removal of Reinke's edema]. HNO. 2007;55:365-74 pubmed..The elimination of etiological factors is of highly significant in terms of the prognosis. Before surgery patients should be fully informed of how uncertain the prognosis is. ..
- Low I, Stables S. Anaphylactic deaths in Auckland, New Zealand: a review of coronial autopsies from 1985 to 2005. Pathology. 2006;38:328-32 pubmed..In many cases, no specific macroscopic or microscopic findings were detected at autopsy. In the presence of a typical clinical history, postmortem measurement of serum tryptase levels can be a useful diagnostic aid. ..
- Ito J, Ohtsuka M, Kurahashi K. [Case of laryngopharyngeal edema after a spinal tumor resection in prone position with extensive neck flexion]. Masui. 2012;61:189-92 pubmed
- Artico M, Bronzetti E, Ionta B, Bruno M, Greco A, Ruoppolo G, et al. Reinke's edema: investigations on the role of MIB-1 and hepatocyte growth factor. Eur J Histochem. 2010;54:e30 pubmed..The latter is necessary for the cellular connections reconstruction, after the inflammatory infiltration. ..
- Kosztyła Hojna B. [Video-laryngo-stroboscopy in diagnosis of senile voice disorders]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2001;11:221-3 pubmed..This method can find application in training and therapeutic procedures in patients with senile dysphonia. ..
- Siupsinskiene N, Skumaniene M. [Phonatory characteristics following different endolaryngeal microsurgical techniques in Reinke's disease]. Medicina (Kaunas). 2002;38:982-9 pubmed..Clinical voice assessment may be useful for evaluation of surgical treatment efficacy as well as for comparison of surgical techniques. ..