Summary: Pathological processes involving any part of the LARYNX which coordinates many functions such as voice production, breathing, swallowing, and coughing.
- Anbar R, Hehir D. Hypnosis as a diagnostic modality for vocal cord dysfunction. Pediatrics. 2000;106:E81 pubmed..He also was referred for counseling. To our knowledge this is the first description in the medical literature of the use of hypnotic suggestion for making a diagnosis of VCD. (ABSTRACT TRUNCATED) ..
- Gunter H. A mechanical model of vocal-fold collision with high spatial and temporal resolution. J Acoust Soc Am. 2003;113:994-1000 pubmed..79), vertical shear stress (r2 = 0.69), and Von Mises stress (r2 = 0.83) in the tissue. These results guide the interpretation of experimental measurements by relating them to a quantity that is important in tissue damage. ..
- Sulica L, Behrman A. Management of benign vocal fold lesions: a survey of current opinion and practice. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2003;112:827-33 pubmed..Therefore, traditional diagnostic categories do not seem to be useful guides to treatment, and may need to be reevaluated in light of improvements in diagnostic technology and surgical technique. ..
- Nazaroglu H, Ozates M, Uyar A, Deger E, Simsek M. Laryngopyocele: signs on computed tomography. Eur J Radiol. 2000;33:63-5 pubmed..An infected laryngocele is called a laryngopyocele. Our experience with a case of laryngopyocele with signs on computed tomography before and after antibiotic therapy is presented since laryngopyocele is more unusual...
- Kastanos N, Estopá Miró R, Marín Pérez A, Xaubet Mir A, Agusti Vidal A. Laryngotracheal injury due to endotracheal intubation: incidence, evolution, and predisposing factors. A prospective long-term study. Crit Care Med. 1983;11:362-7 pubmed..Severe respiratory failure, high cuff pressure, and secretion infection showed a statistical correlation to tracheal injury...
- Zeitels S, Hillman R, Desloge R, Mauri M, Doyle P. Phonomicrosurgery in singers and performing artists: treatment outcomes, management theories, and future directions. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol Suppl. 2002;190:21-40 pubmed
- Martinez Devesa P, Ghufoor K, Lloyd S, Howard D. Endoscopic CO2 laser management of laryngocele. Laryngoscope. 2002;112:1426-30 pubmed
- Mortensen M, Woo P. Office steroid injections of the larynx. Laryngoscope. 2006;116:1735-9 pubmed..05). There were no complications. Only two patients could not tolerate office injection. Office steroid injections are a valuable adjunct in management of vocal fold scars, polyps, nodules, and granulomas. ..
- Ettema S, Carothers D, Hoffman H. Laryngocele resection by combined external and endoscopic laser approach. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2003;112:361-4 pubmed..A case is presented to help define the technique. ..
- ..If voice therapy fails, phonosurgical intervention is recommended, since vocal fold nodules can persist into adulthood with a negative impact on voice quality. ..
- Singh S, Kalra R, Chhabra S, Agarwal R, Garg S, Mathur S. Variable clinical presentations of histoplasmosis: a report of six cases. Trop Doct. 2012;42:32-4 pubmed publisher..The possibility of histoplasmosis should always be borne in mind, especially in immunocompromised patients, as it can have variable clinical presentations...
- Martins R, Branco A, Tavares E, Iyomasa R, Carvalho L, Henry M. Laryngeal and voice disorders in patients with gastroesophageal symptoms. Correlation with pH-monitoring. Acta Cir Bras. 2012;27:821-8 pubmed
- Lalich I, Olsen S, Ekbom D. Robotic microlaryngeal surgery: feasibility using a newly designed retractor and instrumentation. Laryngoscope. 2014;124:1624-30 pubmed publisher..The overall efficacy of our retractor will need to be examined in an in vivo human model. NA. ..
- Yung K, Courey M. The Effect of office-based flexible endoscopic surgery on hemodynamic stability. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:2231-6 pubmed publisher..Significant changes in hemodynamic status occur during OBFES. Clinicians should be aware of this and consider the risks these changes may pose to their patients. Monitoring during these procedures may be indicated. ..
- Kim J, Cho S, Son H, Park J, Woo S. Analysis of clinical feature and management of laryngeal fracture: recent 22 case review. Yonsei Med J. 2012;53:992-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, if the fractured laryngeal framework was corrected at appropriate times, voice results were good. ..
- Yazici H, Dogan S, Sunter A, Yilmaz E, Daşkaya H. Surprising cause of respiratory distress in child: laryngeal leech. J Craniofac Surg. 2012;23:e272-3 pubmed publisher..A dark green living body in the larynx was detected and removed urgently under sedo-analgesia. The living body was seen as a leech that is 5 cm in length. ..
- Guo Y, Lin S, Xu X, Zhou L, Zhuang P, Jiang J. [Role of aerodynamic parameters in voice function assessment]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2012;47:858-60 pubmed..01). The aerodynamic parameters can objectively and effectively evaluate the variations of vocal function, and have good auxiliary diagnostic value. ..
- Over L. Maxillofacial prosthetic rehabilitation for esophageal and laryngeal laxity due to the hypermobility syndrome: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2015;113:656-9 pubmed publisher..This clinical report describes the design and fabrication of a support to stabilize the patient's laryngeal and esophageal structures to her midline. ..
- Brady S, Donzelli J. The modified barium swallow and the functional endoscopic evaluation of swallowing. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2013;46:1009-22 pubmed publisher..The use of the MBS and FEES has advantages and disadvantages and both should be considered the gold standard for evaluating swallow function. ..
- Fjordbakk C, Holcombe S, Fintl C, Chalmers H, Strand E. A novel treatment for dynamic laryngeal collapse associated with poll flexion: the modified checkrein. Equine Vet J. 2012;44:207-13 pubmed publisher..The modified checkrein seems promising in offering a method of conservative management in harness racehorses affected with this disorder. ..
- Korn G, Moraes M, Vilanova L, Moraes B, Madazio G, Padovani M, et al. Comparison of clinical characteristics of patients with adductor laryngeal dystonia in the focal and segmental types. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2011;77:413-7 pubmed
- Egawa A, Hirabayashi Y, Seo N. [Case of unexpected difficult intubation caused by asymptomatic congenital laryngeal web]. Masui. 2011;60:1211-3 pubmed..We finally could insert a tracheal tube of ID 6.5 mm into the dorsal side of the glottis. Airway Scope may be a useful device for unexpected difficult tracheal intubation. ..
- Yamamoto T, Kohno T. [Case of airway management by laryngeal mask airway for a child with laryngeal web undergoing adenotonsillectomy]. Masui. 2011;60:214-6 pubmed..Using the LMA and Davis-Crowe mouth gag, we were able to provide the surgeon with the same exposure as with intubation while effectively managing the airway. ..
- McDermott M, Branstetter B. Percutaneous drainage of postoperative laryngoceles. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011;32:E87-9 pubmed publisher..We describe a technique for percutaneous drainage of postoperative laryngoceles and the outcome in a small series of patients. ..
- Acar G, Tekin M, Cam O. Laryngeal inflammatory pseudotumor: a case report. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg. 2012;22:50-3 pubmed publisher..In this article, we present a 64-year-old male with a local IMP of the larynx. The clinical presentation, diagnosis, histopathology, and management of this uncommon tumor were also discussed. ..
- Wang S, Park H, Lee B, Lee S, Ko B, Lee S, et al. A new videokymography system for evaluation of the vibration pattern of entire vocal folds. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2016;43:315-21 pubmed publisher..Although further studies are required to confirm its clinical efficacy for the evaluation of vocal folds, the system can be applied to evaluate the static and dynamic status of vocal folds in patients with vocal cord diseases. ..
- Sachs A, Bielamowicz S, Stager S. Treatment effectiveness for aging changes in the larynx. Laryngoscope. 2017;127:2572-2577 pubmed publisher..Likewise, 64% of patients who had thyroplasty surgery reported a significant treatment effect compared to 33% for injection augmentation. 4. Laryngoscope, 127:2572-2577, 2017. ..
- Shah R, Deal A, Buckmire R. Multidimensional voice outcomes after type I Gore-Tex thyroplasty in patients with nonparalytic glottic incompetence: a subgroup analysis. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:1742-5 pubmed publisher..Although showing trends toward improvement, vocal fold scar patients performed worse than all other subgroups across all three voice outcome measures. ..
- AlQudehy Z, Norton J, El Hakim H. Electromyography in children's laryngeal mobility disorders: a proposed grading system. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;138:936-41 pubmed publisher..No predictors for tracheostomy were identified. The LEMG grading was accurate and correlated with the requirement for tracheostomy. Combined with endoscopy, the grading may help better characterize laryngeal mobility disorders. ..
- Abdel Razek A. Imaging of scleroma in the head and neck. Br J Radiol. 2012;85:1551-5 pubmed publisher..Imaging is essential for the early diagnosis of scleroma and for differentiating it from other granulomatous and neoplastic lesions. Also, imaging is important for treatment planning and follow-up of patients after therapy. ..
- Zawadzka Glos L, Jakubowska A, Frackiewicz M, Brzewski M. External laryngeal injuries in children--comparison of diagnostic methods. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013;77:1582-4 pubmed publisher..Direct laryngoscopy is a standard in diagnostics of the injuries of the larynx. Ultrasonography of the larynx is recommended in every case of laryngeal injury as an additional non-invasive complementary diagnostic examination. ..
- Ganeshalingham A, Murdoch I, Davies B, Menson E. Fatal laryngeal diphtheria in a UK child. Arch Dis Child. 2012;97:748-9 pubmed publisher..Prompt recognition and timely administration of antitoxin may be life-saving. ..
- Rodrigues A, Jacomelli M, Baldow R, Barbas C, Figueiredo V. Laryngeal and tracheobronchial involvement in Wegener's granulomatosis. Rev Bras Reumatol. 2012;52:231-5 pubmed..Bronchoscopy allows for diagnosing, monitoring, and treating the airway lesions in WG, being a minimally invasive therapeutic option in selected cases. ..
- Ju Y, Jung K, Kwon S, Woo J, Cho J, Park M, et al. Effect of voice therapy after phonomicrosurgery for vocal polyps: a prospective, historically controlled, clinical study. J Laryngol Otol. 2013;127:1134-8 pubmed publisher..Following surgery for vocal polyps, post-operative voice therapy can improve patients' vocal discomfort, emotional responses and everyday self-perception. ..
- Garrett K, Woodie J, Embertson R. Association of treadmill upper airway endoscopic evaluation with results of ultrasonography and resting upper airway endoscopic evaluation. Equine Vet J. 2011;43:365-71 pubmed publisher..CSA of the left CALM and vocalis muscle was not different between groups. Laryngeal ultrasonography has high accuracy for diagnosing abnormal AM. Ultrasonography is a valuable addition to the diagnostic evaluation of the equine UA. ..
- Boltežar I, Bahar M, Zargi M, Gale N, Maticic M, Poljak M. Adjuvant therapy for laryngeal papillomatosis. Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat. 2011;20:175-80 pubmed..The results of adjuvant therapy of laryngeal papillomatosis at the University Department of ORL & HNS in Ljubljana are comparable to the results in other centers around the world. ..
- Vukasinovic M, Djukic V, Stankovic P, Krejović Trivić S, Trivic A, Pavlovic B. [Phoniatricians aspect of international statistical classification of diseases and related health problems]. Acta Chir Iugosl. 2009;56:65-9 pubmed..The role of phoniatrician is necessary and logical in this system. The phoniatrician aspect of contribution in next Revision, is presented. ..
- Szkiełkowska A, Miaśkiewicz B, Remacle M, Skarzynski H. [Quality of voice after implantation of hyaluronic acid to the vocal folds - preliminary report]. Otolaryngol Pol. 2011;65:436-42 pubmed publisher..This method is a simply, effective and quickly to improve of voice disorders. ..
- Pearson J, Parikh S, Orlando R, Allen J, Tinling S, Johnston N, et al. Review article: reflux and its consequences--the laryngeal, pulmonary and oesophageal manifestations. Conference held in conjunction with the 9th International Symposium on Human Pepsin (ISHP) Kingston-upon-Hull, UK, 21-23 April 2010. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011;33 Suppl 1:1-71 pubmed publisher..In addition methods for diagnosis of reflux disease and treatment strategies, especially with reference to non-acid reflux, were considered. ..
- Marks J. Update in pulmonary medicine. Adolesc Med State Art Rev. 2013;24:307-29, xvi pubmed..If disease control is inadequate, referral to a pulmonary specialist can be helpful to verify the correct diagnosis(es) and ensure that the most appropriate therapies are used. ..
- de Las Casas Battifora R, Ramada Rodillac J. [Functional dysphonia and benign vocal cord lesions in professional voice users]. Arch Prev Riesgos Labor. 2012;15:21-6 pubmed publisher..Los servicios de prevención deberían evaluar este riesgo laboral siempre que la voz sea una herramienta de trabajo primaria, con el fin de poder establecer medidas preventivas precoces. ..
- Sun J, Zhang Y, Yan D, Ma H, Jiang Z, Geng X. [Effects on function rehabilitation of vocal cord after vocal cord polyps surgery treated with acupuncture at Sheng's four points of throat]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2010;30:822-5 pubmed..The effect on function rehabilitation of vocal cord after vocal cord polyps surgery treated with the combined therapy group of Four Points of Throat and routine medication is favorable, superior to that with routine medication therapy. ..
- Garrett K, Woodie J, Cook J, Williams N. Imaging diagnosis--nasal septal and laryngeal cyst-like malformationsin a Thoroughbred weanling colt diagnosed using ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2010;51:504-7 pubmed..This is a unique congenital condition, in which premortem imaging was instrumental in defining the abnormalities. ..
- Just T, Lankenau E, Prall F, Huttmann G, Pau H, Sommer K. Optical coherence tomography allows for the reliable identification of laryngeal epithelial dysplasia and for precise biopsy: a clinicopathological study of 61 patients undergoing microlaryngoscopy. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:1964-70 pubmed publisher..OCT allows for a fairly accurate assessment of benign and dysplastic laryngeal epithelial lesion and greatly facilitates the taking of precise biopsies. Laryngoscope, 2010. ..
- Wolraich D, Vasile Marchis Crisan C, Redding N, Khella S, Mirza N. Laryngeal tremor: co-occurrence with other movement disorders. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2010;72:291-4 pubmed publisher..Otolaryngologists may be the first to evaluate a patient for tremors. It is important to consider other movement disorders when examining these patients as neurologic assessment and treatment of other tremors may be beneficial. ..
- Chen T, Dailey S, Naze S, Jiang J. The head-mounted microscope. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:781-4 pubmed publisher..A head-mounted microscope decreases the working distance and provides better ergonomics in laryngoscopic microsurgery. These advances provide the potential to promote precision in phonomicrosurgery. ..
- Mansi N, De Maio V, Della Volpe A, Ripa G, Malafronte L, de Filippis C. Ear, nose and throat manifestation of viral systemic infections in pediatric patients. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;73 Suppl 1:S26-32 pubmed publisher..Cooperation between otolaryngologist, paediatrician and virologist can be considered and excellent tool in diagnosis and treatment of these diseases in particular when complications occur. ..
- Dhungel K, Gupta M, Ahmad K, Sah P, Rauniyar R. Laryngocele masquerading as a soft tissue neck mass. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ). 2009;7:423-5 pubmed..Ultrasonography (USG) and CT features of laryngocele is also presented here. ..
- Garcia G. [Vocal cord dysfunction]. Rev Prat. 2011;61:904-6 pubmed..The diagnosis of vocal cord dysfunction can thus be mistakenly ruled out based on the absence of abnormalities on laryngoscopic examination. Therapeutic management focuses on phoniatric rehabilitation. ..
- Gong X, Wang X, Yang L, Sun M, Du J, Zhang W. Detecting Laryngopharyngeal Reflux by Immunohistochemistry of Pepsin in the Biopsies of Vocal Fold Leukoplakia. J Voice. 2018;32:352-355 pubmed publisherLaryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) may contribute to the development of laryngeal diseases including vocal fold leukoplakia. Clinical methods of determining LPR are limited. Pepsin, as an exogenous protein, is considered as a biomarker of LPR...