Genomes and Genes
Summary: Spasmodic contraction of the smooth muscle of the bronchi.
- Regal J, Bell R. Mediators of C5a-induced bronchoconstriction in the guinea pig. Int Arch Allergy Appl Immunol. 1987;84:414-23 pubmed
- Fontaine M, Dubost J, Bienvenu F, Ferrenq Dubost R, Proton G, Piriou V. [Severe bronchospasm using Diprivan® in a patient allergic to peanut and birch]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2011;30:147-9 pubmed publisher..In fact, this child had asthma and allergy to peanuts, raising the problem of cross allergy between birch, peanut, soy and Diprivan®. ..
- Mansournia M, Jamali M, Mansournia N, Yunesian M, Moghadam K. Exercise-induced bronchospasm among students of Tehran University of Medical Sciences in 2004. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2007;28:348-52 pubmed..Although among all determinants proposed for EIB, respiratory symptoms are closely related to the disease, diagnosis based on only these symptoms is not recommended because of high false positive and false negative results. ..
- Okamoto L. Outcomes and humanistic issues related to treatment of acute bronchospasm. Pharmacotherapy. 2006;26:175S-80S pubmed..Thus, providers, payers, and patients should examine all the scientific evidence (safety, efficacy or effectiveness, economics, and humanistic benefits) to make the most informed health care decision. ..
- Hermansen C, Kirchner J. Identifying exercise-induced bronchospasm. Treatment hinges on distinguishing it from chronic asthma. Postgrad Med. 2004;115:15-6, 21-5 pubmed..In this article, Drs Hermansen and Kirchner review the incidence, diagnosis, and treatment of EIB and explain how to distinguish EIB from chronic asthma. ..
- Puntambekar P, Basha M, Zak I, Madhavan R. Rare sensory and autonomic disturbances associated with vitamin B12 deficiency. J Neurol Sci. 2009;287:285-7 pubmed publisher..We emphasize the importance of awareness of autonomic disturbances in B12 deficient individuals. ..
- Raghunathan K, Nagajothi N. Paradoxical bronchospasm: a potentially life threatening adverse effect of albuterol. South Med J. 2006;99:288-9 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of paradoxical bronchospasm to levalbuterol inhalation solution. ..
- Jenne J, Shaughnessy T, Druz W, Manfredi C, Vestal R. In vivo functional antagonism between isoproterenol and bronchoconstrictants in the dog. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1987;63:812-9 pubmed..These findings demonstrate in vivo functional antagonism between isoproterenol and the dose of bronchoconstrictant but not necessarily resistance increase per se. ..
- Shah G, Parmar N. Antiasthmatic property of polyherbal preparation E-721 B. Phytother Res. 2003;17:1092-7 pubmed..Contrary to these findings E-721B produced dose-dependent contraction of the rat anococcygeus muscle which was blocked by prazosin. Thus our observations establish the antiasthmatic potential of this herbal formulation. ..
- Brotman D, Frost S. The JNC 7 hypertension guidelines. JAMA. 2003;290:1313-4; author reply 1314-5 pubmed
- Pirozyński M, Skucha W, Słomiński M, Chyczewska E, Malinowski J, Nowak D, et al. [The effect of fenspiride on the number of exacerbations and the time of first exacerbation in patients with chronic bronchitis]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2005;19:139-43 pubmed..Number of side effects observed did not differ between groups. Fenspiride treatment was assessed as relatively effective in terms of influence on exacerbations, and well tolerated during six month therapy. ..
- Hoffman D. Psyllium: keeping this boon for patients from becoming a bane for providers. J Fam Pract. 2006;55:770-2 pubmed
- Alagarsamy V, Parthiban P. Design and synthesis of novel 2-(3-substituted propyl)-3-(2-methyl phenyl) quinazolin-4-(3H)-ones as a new class of H1-antihistaminic agents. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2013;28:65-71 pubmed publisher..09% protection). Compound OT5 shows negligible sedation (7%) compared to chlorpheniramine maleate (33%). Therefore, compound OT5 can serve as the leading molecule for further development into a new class of H(1)-antihistaminic agents. ..
- Ritchie D, Kirchner T, Moore J, Dodd J, Ahmed T, Anderson D, et al. Experimental antiasthmatic activity of RWJ 22108: a bronchoselective calcium entry blocker. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 1993;100:274-82 pubmed..These data suggest that RWJ 22108 may have pharmacological potential in the clinical management of asthma. ..
- Jacqmarcq O, Karila C, Carli P. [Latex-induced anaphylactic shock following graft reperfusion during renal transplantation]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2005;24:547-50 pubmed..We feel it essential that donor organs should be removed in a totally latex-free environment. Such conditions will remove the risk of anaphylactic shock at the point of reperfusion of the transplant. ..
- Woods B, Sladen R. Perioperative considerations for the patient with asthma and bronchospasm. Br J Anaesth. 2009;103 Suppl 1:i57-65 pubmed publisher..Many routinely used anaesthetic agents have an ameliorative effect on airway constriction. Nonetheless, acute bronchospasm can still occur, especially at induction and emergence, and should be promptly and methodically managed. ..
- Bakke S, Laursen S. [Treatment with disulfiram can be dangerous]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2011;173:3192-3 pubmed..Fomepizole, an alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor, was advocated as a specific treatment for DER. This case highlights the potential danger of DER. ..
- Burki N, Alam M, Lee L. The pulmonary effects of intravenous adenosine in asthmatic subjects. Respir Res. 2006;7:139 pubmed..The increased intensity of adenosine-induced dyspnea in the asthmatic subjects suggests that airways inflammation may have sensitized the vagal C fibers. ..
- Christe A, Aghayev E, Jackowski C, Thali M, Vock P. Drowning--post-mortem imaging findings by computed tomography. Eur Radiol. 2008;18:283-90 pubmed..The advantage of MSCT was the direct detection of bronchospasm, haemodilution and water in the paranasal sinus, which is rather complicated or impossible at the classical autopsy...
- Carroll C, Goodman D. Endotracheal albuterol treatment of acute bronchospasm. Am J Emerg Med. 2004;22:506-7 pubmed
- Kuschner W, Chitkara R, Sarinas P. Occupational asthma. Practical points for diagnosis and management. West J Med. 1998;169:342-50 pubmed..Finally, we review the medical-legal implications of occupational asthma. ..
- Hermansen C. Exercise-induced bronchospasm vs. exercise-induced asthma. Am Fam Physician. 2004;69:808; author reply 808, 810 pubmed
- Pershad J, Chin T. Early detection of cardiac disease masquerading as acute bronchospasm: The role of bedside limited echocardiography by the emergency physician. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2003;19:E1-3 pubmed
- Henriet A, Marchand Adam S, Mankikian J, Diot P. [Respimat®, first Soft Mist™ inhaler: new perspectives in the management of COPD]. Rev Mal Respir. 2010;27:1141-9 pubmed publisher..Respimat® SMI offers new perspectives for the management of chronic respiratory diseases, particularly in newly diagnosed or poorly compliant patients. ..
- Reina Ferragut C, López Herce J. [Mechanical ventilation in pediatrics (III). Weaning, complications and other types of ventilation. Compications of mechanical ventilation]. An Pediatr (Barc). 2003;59:160-5 pubmed..The most important chronic problems are subglottal stenosis, chronic pulmonary injury, and psychological alterations...
- Namba M, Chihara E, Ibuki T, Ashida H, Fukushima H, Tanaka Y. [Clinical evaluation of roxatidine acetate hydrochlorides as a preanesthetic medication]. Masui. 2001;50:127-35 pubmed..not only because it decreases the risk for aspiration pneumonia but also because it reduces the risk of bronchial spasm induced by gastroesophageal reflux of acidic gastric content...
- Kubitz J, Krause T, Dietz R, Friederich P, Goetz A. [Severe anaphylaxis from rocuronium]. Anaesthesist. 2006;55:1169-71 pubmed..Mechanical ventilation was nearly impossible. The patient required a multimodal antiallergic therapy and a high-dose catecholamine therapy for stabilization. Rocuronium was identified as the allergic agent using intradermal testing. ..
- Aoki M, Yamamoto S, Kobayashi M, Ohga K, Kanoh H, Miyata K, et al. Antiasthmatic effect of YM976, a novel PDE4 inhibitor, in guinea pigs. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001;297:165-73 pubmed..In conclusion, YM976 may have potential therapeutic value in the treatment of asthma through its anti-inflammatory activities. ..
- Chen H, Tseng H, Huang J, Dai Z. Coexistence of left pulmonary artery sling and aortopulmonary window complicated with difficult airway-a rare congenital cardiopulmonary defect. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005;28:900-2 pubmed..A case of two such rare lesions coexisting was not to be found in the literature review, so we report this case because of its rarity and clinical interest. ..
- Volkman J, Pontikes P. Leukotriene modifiers to prevent aspirin-provoked respiratory reactions in asthmatics. Ann Pharmacother. 2002;36:1457-61 pubmed..The efficacy of these agents ranged from complete inhibition to no blockade. Patients who experience aspirin-sensitive asthma should be cautious when taking aspirin and NSAIDs, despite treatment with leukotriene inhibitors. ..
- van Gestel Y, Hoeks S, Sin D, Stam H, Mertens F, Bax J, et al. Beta-blockers and health-related quality of life in patients with peripheral arterial disease and COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2009;4:177-83 pubmed..This suggests that beta-blockers can, in most circumstances, be administered to patients with COPD without impairment in HRQOL. ..
- Angulo F, Alvarado Y, Chokesuwattanaskul W, Roongsritong C. Troponin I elevation in a patient with acute severe bronchospasm. Am J Med Sci. 2005;329:320-1 pubmed..We report a case of troponin I elevation in a 40-year-old woman who presented with acute severe bronchospasm and had a negative evaluation for coronary artery disease. ..
- Samaké B, Keita M, Magalie I, Diallo G, Diallo A. [Adverse events of anesthesia in pediatric surgery scheduled at Gabriel Toure hospital]. Mali Med. 2010;25:1-4 pubmed..This study estimates the incidence of adverse events in anesthesia during pediatric surgery. The overall rate of patients experiencing an adverse event is relatively high. Children age less than or equal to one year are most vulnerable. ..
- Malamed S. Emergency medicine in pediatric dentistry: preparation and management. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2003;31:749-55 pubmed..As with the adult patient, effective management of pain (local anesthesia) and anxiety (behavioral management, conscious sedation) will minimize the development of medical emergencies. ..
- Fozard J, Buescher H. Comparison of the anti-bronchoconstrictor activities of inhaled formoterol, its (R,R)- and (S,S)-enantiomers and salmeterol in the rhesus monkey. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2001;14:289-95 pubmed
- Thompson M, Wise S, Rodenberg H. A preliminary comparison of levalbuterol and albuterol in prehospital care. J Emerg Med. 2004;26:271-7 pubmed..dual isomer preparations, and to the time frames of EMS care. Further efforts correlating EMS and ED data may better define the use of levalbuterol in prehospital care. ..
- Patel K, Bhalodia P, Patel A, Patel K, Gandhi T. Evaluation of bronchodilator and anti-anaphylactic activity of Myrica sapida. Iran Biomed J. 2008;12:191-6 pubmed..Myrica sapida is known traditionally in Ayurveda to possess anti-asthmatic activity. Hence, the present investigation was undertaken to evaluate the bronchodilator and anti-anaphylactic activity of the stem bark of Myrica sapida...
- Macesic N, Urbancic K, Ierino F, Grayson M. Is Aerosolized Pentamidine for Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis in Renal Transplant Recipients Not as Safe as We Might Think?. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:2502-4 pubmed publisher..We report our experience with aerosolized pentamidine use in 56 renal transplant recipients. We found high rates of adverse reactions in patients with chronic respiratory disease. ..
- Reinero C, Decile K, Byerly J, Berghaus R, Walby W, Berghaus L, et al. Effects of drug treatment on inflammation and hyperreactivity of airways and on immune variables in cats with experimentally induced asthma. Am J Vet Res. 2005;66:1121-7 pubmed..Inhaled corticosteroids can be considered as an alternate method for decreasing airway inflammation in cats with asthma. ..
- Fernández de Sevilla M, Alayeto J, Fernandez Y, Munoz Almagro C, Luaces C, Garcia Garcia J. [Low prevalence of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in children with acute pharyngitis]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2009;27:403-5 pubmed publisher..In healthy patients (control group) all M. pneumoniae testing by PCR was negative; therefore, the possible pathological significance of all cases of acute pharyngitis PCR-positive for M. pneumoniae should be evaluated. ..
- Karagoz A, Uzümcügil F, Celebi N, Canbay O, Ozgen S. Anesthetic management of a 2-year-old male with propionic acidemia. Paediatr Anaesth. 2006;16:1290-1 pubmed
- Flores Sandoval G, Orea Solano M, Cortés Padilla V, Santos Argumedo L. [Measurement of cytokines in patients with exercise-induced asthma treated with anti-leukotrienes]. Rev Alerg Mex. 2002;49:143-8 pubmed..The anti-leukotriene improved the bronchospastic answer during the early and late phases, reducing the FEV-1, decreasing the recovering phase. ..
- Roberts W, Black H, Bakris G, Mason R, Giles T, Sulkes D. The editor's roundtable: revisiting the role of beta blockers in hypertension. Am J Cardiol. 2007;100:253-67 pubmed
- Streck E, Jörres R, Huber R, Bergner A. Effects of cigarette smoke extract and nicotine on bronchial tone and acetylcholine-induced airway contraction in mouse lung slices. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2010;20:324-30 pubmed..In the present study, we analyzed whether tobacco smoke has acute or chronic effects on bronchial tone and whether it alters bronchial reactivity in vitro...
- Pleasants R. Review of guidelines and the literature in the treatment of acute bronchospasm in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pharmacotherapy. 2006;26:156S-63S pubmed..Prevention strategies have been developed for acute exacerbations, and management strategies include using short-acting beta(2)-agonists, systemic corticosteroids, and antibiotics, in both at home and hospital settings. ..
- Fardin B, Weissgold D. Central serous chorioretinopathy after inhaled steroid use for post-mycoplasmal bronchospasm. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86:1065-6 pubmed
- Valladares Otero G, Martínez Navas A, Olmedo Granados L, Echevarría Moreno M. [Emergency axillary brachial plexus block in a patient allergic to atropine]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2006;53:184-6 pubmed..It provided satisfactory conditions for surgery and made it possible to avoid administering drugs with vagotonic effects that are often used for general anesthesia and require the use of atropine. ..
- Damas C, Hespanhol V. [Bronchospasm and hemoptysis. Could have the same cause?]. Rev Port Pneumol. 2005;11:67-72 pubmed..It is a very rare pathology, with a variable clinical expression, which must be considered whenever there is respiratory complaints in association with hilar or mediastinic calcifications. ..
- Lewis C, Broadley K. Airway hyper- or hyporeactivity to inhaled spasmogens 24 h after ovalbumin challenge of sensitized guinea-pigs. Br J Pharmacol. 1995;116:2351-8 pubmed..This was presumed to be due to an inhibition of cholinergic pathways by the OA challenge. Adenosine caused a bronchoconstriction in the sensitized animals but this was not enhanced by the OA challenge. ..
- Mahairidou A, Rodopoulou S, Tomos I, Maratou E, Manali E, Raptakis T, et al. Exhaled Breath Condensate Acidification Occurs During Surgery for Abdominal Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3315-3321 pubmed..EBC acidification occurs in patients undergoing abdominal cancer resection and is associated with the occurrence of acute bronchospasm intraoperatively. ..
- Venuta F, De Giacomo T, Rendina E, Ciccone A, Diso D, Perrone A, et al. Bronchoscopic lung-volume reduction with one-way valves in patients with heterogenous emphysema. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:411-6; discussion 416-7 pubmed..Bronchoscopic lung-volume reduction with one-way valves can be performed with acceptable short-term safety and worthwhile functional benefits. ..
- Gesek D. Respiratory anesthetic emergencies in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2013;25:479-86, vii pubmed publisher..The effective management of respiratory anesthetic emergencies includes both strong didactic and clinical skills. ..