Summary: Diseases involving the BRONCHI.
- Gaissert H, Grillo H, Wright C, Donahue D, Wain J, Mathisen D. Complication of benign tracheobronchial strictures by self-expanding metal stents. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003;126:744-7 pubmed..The current generation of self-expanding metal stents should be avoided in benign strictures of trachea and bronchi. ..
- Madden B, Loke T, Sheth A. Do expandable metallic airway stents have a role in the management of patients with benign tracheobronchial disease?. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;82:274-8 pubmed..Although these devices have an important role in malignant disease their usefulness in benign large airway disorders is less defined...
- Thomas D, Stonell C, Hasan K. Tracheobronchopathia osteoplastica: incidental finding at tracheal intubation. Br J Anaesth. 2001;87:515-7 pubmed..The diagnosis of tracheobronchopathia osteoplastica was made after subsequent bronchoscopy and biopsy in the post-operative period. A brief review of this rare benign condition is given...
- Herrera J, McNeil K, Higgins R, Coulden R, Flower C, Nashef S, et al. Airway complications after lung transplantation: treatment and long-term outcome. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;71:989-93; discussion 993-4 pubmed..Long-term survival and FEV1 did not differ from nonstented patients. Aspergillus and airway necrosis are associated with the development of airway complications. Expanding metal stents are an effective long-term treatment. ..
- Chang J, Choi Y, Kim K, Shim Y, Lee K, Kim H, et al. Main bronchial reconstruction with sparing of pulmonary parenchyma for benign diseases. J Korean Med Sci. 2006;21:1017-20 pubmed..All of the patients are still alive without obstructive airway problem. Bronchoplasty should be considered as one of the primary treatment modalities, if it is anatomically feasible. ..
- Kim J, Kim H, Kim K, Shim Y. Open surgery for removal of a failing Gianturco stent with reversed sleeve resection of the right middle and lower lobes. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1998;14:329-31 pubmed..The authors' experience in a patient with incorrectly positioned metallic stent in the right main bronchus, which was successfully treated with bronchial sleeve resection, is presented. ..
- Paulson E, Singhal S, Kucharczuk J, Sterman D, Kaiser L, Marshall M. Bronchial sleeve resection for posttransplant stricture. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003;76:2075-6 pubmed..All attempts at conservative management failed, and the stricture was successfully treated by a parenchymal-sparing segmental sleeve resection. Although rare, this is an important technique in the management of this difficult problem. ..
- Mulligan M. Endoscopic management of airway complications after lung transplantation. Chest Surg Clin N Am. 2001;11:907-15 pubmed..Resective procedures rarely are indicated, and retransplantation should be reserved for exceptional cases. ..
- Zack J, Rozenshtein A. Tracheobronchopathia osteochondroplastica: report of three cases. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2002;26:33-6 pubmed..CT reveals tracheal nodularity with calcification and narrowing. This article reviews the cross-sectional imaging characteristics of TO...
- Noppen M, Stratakos G, D haese J, Meysman M, Vinken W. Removal of covered self-expandable metallic airway stents in benign disorders: indications, technique, and outcomes. Chest. 2005;127:482-7 pubmed..Nevertheless, new technical improvements in metallic stent design and materials may help reinforce the concept of a retrievable metallic airway stent, which may offer significant clinical advantages. ..
- Fukuoka K, Nakano Y, Nakajima A, Hontsu S, Kimura H. Endobronchial lesions involved in Mycobacterium avium infection. Respir Med. 2003;97:1261-4 pubmed..However, endobronchial lesions involved in M. avium infection are rare in either immunocompetent or immunosuppressed hosts. We report here endobronchial mycobacterial infection in a HIV-negative patient. ..
- Thornton R, Gordon R, Kerlan R, LaBerge J, Wilson M, Wolanske K, et al. Outcomes of tracheobronchial stent placement for benign disease. Radiology. 2006;240:273-82 pubmed..To retrospectively determine long-term outcomes in patients who have undergone tracheobronchial stent placement for benign diseases...
- Kono Y. [Respiratory management during endotracheal placement of the Dumon stent for tracheobronchial stenosis]. Masui. 2005;54:504-12 pubmed..Postoperatively, 21 of the 26 patients were transferred to ICU without endotracheal intubation. In a case in which severe respiratory insufficiency or airway bleeding is anticipated, PCPS on standby is necessary for safety assurance. ..
- Scheer B, Hutcheson P, Lagos J, Wood J, Slavin R. Mucoid impaction: a localized form of allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2004;25:229-32 pubmed..We found that certain human leukocyte antigen types were common among mucoid impaction patients and those with ABPA. It is possible that patients with mucoid impaction could represent a localized form of ABPA. ..
- Saad C, Murthy S, Krizmanich G, Mehta A. Self-expandable metallic airway stents and flexible bronchoscopy: long-term outcomes analysis. Chest. 2003;124:1993-9 pubmed..s: To report and analyze our 6-year experience with implanting 112 self-expandable metallic stents (SEMSs) using flexible bronchoscopy (FB)...
- Zakaluzny S, Lane J, Mair E. Complications of tracheobronchial airway stents. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003;128:478-88 pubmed..Our goal was to identify and analyze airway stent complications and to devise approaches to manage stent complications...
- Nomori H, Horio H, Imazu Y, Suemasu K. Double stenting for esophageal and tracheobronchial stenoses. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000;70:1803-7 pubmed..Because placement of stents in both the esophagus and tracheobronchus has a high risk of enlargement of the fistula, a covered metallic stent is preferable for esophageal cancer involving the tracheobronchus. ..
- Behar J, Choi Y, Hartman T, Allen N, McAdams H. Relapsing polychondritis affecting the lower respiratory tract. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;178:173-7 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to describe the CT findings of lower respiratory tract involvement by relapsing polychondritis...
- Rieger J, Hautmann H, Linsenmaier U, Weber C, Treitl M, Huber R, et al. Treatment of benign and malignant tracheobronchial obstruction with metal wire stents: experience with a balloon-expandable and a self-expandable stent type. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2004;27:339-43 pubmed..The mechanical properties of the Strecker stent seem to be less favorable compared to the Wallstent but removal is easy. For benign disease, however, the Wallstent reveals limitations due to significant side effects. ..
- Phillips M. Stenting therapy for stenosing airway diseases. Respirology. 1998;3:215-9 pubmed..Less commonly the stent may perforate the airway wall, sometimes into the accompanying blood vessel. Nonetheless, airway stents are valuable tools in the management of airway narrowing. ..
- Hautmann H, Bauer M, Pfeifer K, Huber R. Flexible bronchoscopy: a safe method for metal stent implantation in bronchial disease. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000;69:398-401 pubmed..Complications were rare and not serious. Initial misplacement of the prosthesis occurred in some cases and necessitated removal and replacement within the same procedure. ..
- Long R, Wong E, Barrie J. Bronchial anthracofibrosis and tuberculosis: CT features before and after treatment. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;184:S33-6 pubmed
- Chhajed P, Malouf M, Tamm M, Spratt P, Glanville A. Interventional bronchoscopy for the management of airway complications following lung transplantation. Chest. 2001;120:1894-9 pubmed..Patients with airway complications after lung transplantation have a higher mortality than patients without airway complications. ..
- Gelb A, Zamel N, Hogg J, Muller N, Schein M. Pseudophysiologic emphysema resulting from severe small-airways disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998;158:815-9 pubmed
- Cosio B, Villena V, Echave Sustaeta J, de Miguel E, Alfaro J, Hernandez L, et al. Endobronchial hamartoma. Chest. 2002;122:202-5 pubmed..EH frequently produces respiratory complaints and radiographic abnormalities. Patients with endobronchial obstructions had satisfactory responses to endoscopic therapy. ..
- Seo J, Song K, Lee J, Goo J, Kim H, Song J, et al. Broncholithiasis: review of the causes with radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 2002;22 Spec No:S199-213 pubmed..An awareness of the typical imaging findings of broncholithiasis, along with a knowledge of its various causes, help in establishing an accurate diagnosis to ensure proper case management...
- Rikimaru T. Therapeutic management of endobronchial tuberculosis. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2004;5:1463-70 pubmed..Our observations suggest that progression of bronchial stenosis can be prevented in patients who are treated with aerosol therapy with corticosteroids. ..
- Mayse M, Greenheck J, Friedman M, Kovitz K. Successful bronchoscopic balloon dilation of nonmalignant tracheobronchial obstruction without fluoroscopy. Chest. 2004;126:634-7 pubmed..In this series, 100% of airway obstructions were improved, and there were no clinically significant complications. BBD of a tracheobronchial obstruction without fluoroscopy is safe, efficacious, and cost-effective. ..
- Walser E. Stent placement for tracheobronchial disease. Eur J Radiol. 2005;55:321-30 pubmed..Due to the importance of pre- and post-procedural imaging in these patients, radiologists should be aware of airway anatomy suitable for stent placement and the appearance of various complications of this procedure. ..
- Chung H, Lee J. Bronchoscopic assessment of the evolution of endobronchial tuberculosis. Chest. 2000;117:385-92 pubmed..In tumorous EBTB, close and long-term follow-up is advisable because the evolution of the lesions during treatment is very complicated and bronchial stenosis may develop at a later time. ..
- End A, Hollaus P, Pentsch A, Brannath W, Janakiev D, Mueller M, et al. Bronchoplastic procedures in malignant and nonmalignant disease: multivariable analysis of 144 cases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2000;120:119-27 pubmed..Careful selection of these patients, as well as of patients with impaired lung function and cardiovascular risk factors, is mandatory. ..
- Studer S, Heitmiller R, Terry P. Mediastinal abscess due to passage of a broncholith. Chest. 2002;121:296-7 pubmed..Because radiographic evidence of abnormal calcification in the chest is common, but rarely is associated with broncholithiasis, the patient's history of lithoptysis was crucial to determining the underlying etiology of her abscess...
- Horio H, Sakaguchi K, Kuwabara K, Ohta T. [Endobronchial hamartoma removed by bronchoscopic electrosurgical snaring]. Kyobu Geka. 2005;58:559-63 pubmed..We recommend the endoscopic electrosurgical snaring to treat endobronchial hamartoma, especially when pedunculated, because this procedure is a minimal invasive technique. ..
- van de Wauwer C, Van Raemdonck D, Verleden G, Dupont L, De Leyn P, Coosemans W, et al. Risk factors for airway complications within the first year after lung transplantation. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007;31:703-10 pubmed..An end-to-end anastomosis should be preferred. Airway complications remain a matter of concern after lung transplantation. ..
- Watanabe Y, Endo C, Sakurada A, Hoshi F, Notsuda H, Eba S, et al. [Experience of a vascular stent placement under bronchoscopy for a severe airway stenosis like a pinhole]. Kyobu Geka. 2010;63:556-60 pubmed..Therefore, a vascular stent for iliac artery was chosen to treat her airway stenosis and the stent was placed to regain good patency. As a result of the treatment, she had immediate relief of symptoms and survived obstructive pneumonia. ..
- Sevy Court J, Machado Molina D, Armas Pérez L, Peralta Pérez M, Carreras Corzo L, Sánchez de la Osa R, et al. [An alternative for improving the diagnosis of smear-negative tuberculosis and other bronchopulmonary disorders in Cuba]. Arch Bronconeumol. 2008;44:604-10 pubmed..These findings indicate that the work of the commission is viable, sustainable, and useful for preventing overdiagnosis and inappropriate treatment, and that it also serves an educational purpose. ..
- Handa H, Kurimoto N, Mineshita M, Miyazawa T. Role of narrowband imaging in assessing endobronchial cryptococcosis. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2013;20:249-51 pubmed publisher..NBI might be useful to assess and follow-up endobronchial fungal infection and other inflammatory processes. ..
- Bai J, He Z, Liu G, Zhang J, Deng J, Li M, et al. Bronchial Sparganosis mansoni accompanied by abnormal hyperplasia diagnosed by bronchoscopy. Chin Med J (Engl). 2012;125:3183-7 pubmed..We introduced our experience and reviewed the clinical characteristics of three pulmonary sparganosis mansoni cases and three pleural cavity sparganosis mansoni cases that have been reported...
- Chang Y, Sung S, Kim H, Lee H. Anterior translocation of the right pulmonary artery for relief of airway compression in the repair of distal aortopulmonary window and interrupted aortic arch. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012;93:e159-61 pubmed publisher..After 37 months of follow-up, no problem was encountered with her airway or RPA. We describe the technique used and the results obtained. ..
- Al Saloos H, Al Ghamdi M, Gordon Culham J, Hosking M. Acute respiratory distress secondary to severe compression of the left main bronchus by the ductus arteriosus. Pediatr Cardiol. 2010;31:693-6 pubmed publisher..The imaging emphasizes the importance of CT angiography to understanding the three-dimensional relationships resulting in bronchial compression...
- Bolukbas S, Schirren J. Parenchyma-sparing bronchial sleeve resections in trauma, benign and malign diseases. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;58:32-7 pubmed publisher..In properly selected patients, traumatic bronchial ruptures, localized malign or benign disease can be safely resected without parenchymal loss. Excellent morbidity and mortality rates and a good long-term outcome can be achieved. ..
- Marchiori E, Pozes A, Souza Junior A, Escuissato D, Irion K, Araujo Neto C, et al. [Diffuse abnormalities of the trachea: computed tomography findings]. J Bras Pneumol. 2008;34:47-54 pubmed
- Mimur K, Mochizuki Y, Nakahara Y, Kawamura T, Mimura R, Kobashi Y. [A case of bronchocentric granulomatosis resembling lung cancer on diagnostic imaging]. Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi. 2011;49:970-5 pubmed
- Kobayashi H, Kanoh S, Motoyoshi K, Aida S. Tracheo-broncho-bronchiolar lesions in Sjögren's syndrome. Respirology. 2008;13:159-61 pubmed publisher..Erythromycin therapy resulted in improvement of the follicular bronchiolitis but not the tracheobronchopathia osteochondroplastica. ..
- ..Throughout, an emphasis is placed upon the complementary role of axial CT images and multiplanar reformation and three-dimensional reconstruction images for noninvasively assessing the large airways. ..
- Nagamine Y, Harada T, Asada M, Sumitomo M. [Anesthetic management of tracheobronchial stent insertion and extracorporeal lung assist (ECLA)]. Masui. 2008;57:708-12 pubmed..We must evaluate the severity of tracheobronchial stenosis preoperatively. In high risk cases anticipated of airway obstruction, ECLA should be used for safe anesthetic management. ..
- Bes C, Kılıçgün A, Talay F, Yilmaz F, Soy M. Bronchocentric granulomatosis in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int. 2012;32:3261-3 pubmed..Bronchocentric granulomatosis has been rarely reported in rheumatoid arthritis. This case might be a proof that bronchocentric granulomatosis may be one of the respiratory manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis. ..
- Dalal U, Dalal A, Singal R, Attri A, Arion R, Gupta S. Successful repair of tubercular tracheal stenosis: a rare case report. J Laryngol Otol. 2011;125:757-60 pubmed publisher..Surgical resection and bronchoplastic reconstruction is the established treatment for such stenosis. Patients with active tuberculosis usually respond to conventional antitubercular treatment. ..
- Higuchi T, Takahashi N, Shiotani M, Sato S, Ohta A, Maeda H, et al. Main bronchial diverticula in the subcarinal region: their relation to airflow limitations. Acta Radiol. 2012;53:44-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that the presence of a small number of tiny bronchial diverticula under the carina may not be a criterion for the diagnosis of COPD. ..
- Kim J, Shin J, Song H, Ohm J, Lee J, Lee D, et al. Palliative treatment of inoperable malignant tracheobronchial obstruction: temporary stenting combined with radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009;193:W38-42 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our treatment strategy may increase patients' quality of life by reducing stent-related complications. ..
- Brill A, Woelke K, Schädlich R, Weinz C, Laier Groeneveld G. Tracheobronchial amyloidosis--bronchoscopic diagnosis and therapy of an uncommon disease: a case report. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2007;58 Suppl 5:51-5 pubmed..Further diagnostic procedures did not show any signs of systemic or malignant disease. This led us to the diagnosis of a rare form of isolated tracheobronchial amyloidosis. ..
- Tokuda A, Ichikawa Y, Nakatsumi Y, Abe T, Fujimura M. [Case of tuberculous bronchial stenosis followed-up by spirogram and successfully treated with a Dumon stent]. Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi. 2008;46:842-6 pubmed..In this valuable case, we could observe the progress of the post-tuberculosis bronchial stenosis respiratory physiologically. ..
- Serrano C, Laborda A, Lozano J, Caballero H, Sebastián A, Lopera J, et al. Metallic stents for tracheobronchial pathology treatment. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2013;36:1614-1623 pubmed publisher..In benign lesions, the results are satisfactory, but sometimes other interventions are required to treat complications. New stent technology may improve these results. ..