Genomes and Genes
respiratory tract diseases
Summary: Diseases involving the RESPIRATORY SYSTEM.
- Tao Y, Huang W, Huang X, Zhong L, Lu S, Li Y, et al. Estimated acute effects of ambient ozone and nitrogen dioxide on mortality in the Pearl River Delta of southern China. Environ Health Perspect. 2012;120:393-8 pubmed publisher..We conducted a four-city time-series study to investigate acute effects of O? and NO? in the Pearl River Delta (PRD) of southern China, using data from 2006 through 2008...
- Wisnivesky J, Teitelbaum S, Todd A, Boffetta P, Crane M, Crowley L, et al. Persistence of multiple illnesses in World Trade Center rescue and recovery workers: a cohort study. Lancet. 2011;378:888-97 pubmed publisher..These findings emphasise the need for continued monitoring and treatment of the WTC rescue and recovery population. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. ..
- Henderson S, Brauer M, MacNab Y, Kennedy S. Three measures of forest fire smoke exposure and their associations with respiratory and cardiovascular health outcomes in a population-based cohort. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:1266-71 pubmed publisher..Some agreement between TEOM and the other metrics suggests that exposure assessment tools that are independent of air quality monitoring may be useful with further refinement. ..
- Laumbach R, Kipen H. Respiratory health effects of air pollution: update on biomass smoke and traffic pollution. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012;129:3-11; quiz 12-3 pubmed publisher..and modeling these exposures are beginning to unravel complex associations with asthma and other respiratory tract diseases. These studies indicate that air pollution from these sources is a major preventable cause of increased ..
- Zeleke Z, Moen B, Bratveit M. Lung function reduction and chronic respiratory symptoms among workers in the cement industry: a follow up study. BMC Pulm Med. 2011;11:50 pubmed publisher..The high prevalence of chronic respiratory symptoms and reduction in lung function is probably associated with high cement dust exposure. Preventive measures are needed to reduce the dust exposure. ..
- Samoli E, Kougea E, Kassomenos P, Analitis A, Katsouyanni K. Does the presence of desert dust modify the effect of PM10 on mortality in Athens, Greece?. Sci Total Environ. 2011;409:2049-54 pubmed publisher..Our analyses indicate that traffic related particles, which prevail on non-desert dust days, have more toxic effects than the ones originating from long-range transport, such as Sahara dust. ..
- Bentayeb M, Simoni M, Baïz N, Norback D, Baldacci S, Maio S, et al. Adverse respiratory effects of outdoor air pollution in the elderly. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:1149-61 pubmed publisher..In this context, the underlying biological, physiological and toxicological mechanisms need to be explored to better understand the phenomenon through a multidisciplinary approach. ..
- Zhou J, Ito K, Lall R, Lippmann M, Thurston G. Time-series analysis of mortality effects of fine particulate matter components in Detroit and Seattle. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:461-6 pubmed publisher..The effects of PM2.5 on daily mortality vary with source, season, and locale, consistent with the hypothesis that PM composition has an appreciable influence on the health effects attributable to PM. ..
- Cambra K, Martínez Rueda T, Alonso Fustel E, Cirarda F, Ibanez B, Esnaola S, et al. Mortality in small geographical areas and proximity to air polluting industries in the Basque Country (Spain). Occup Environ Med. 2011;68:140-7 pubmed publisher..Further epidemiological and environmental investigations around metal-processing and energy-producing plants are required. ..
- Henderson S, Johnston F. Measures of forest fire smoke exposure and their associations with respiratory health outcomes. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012;12:221-7 pubmed publisher..Studies with varied approaches to exposure assessment and varied measures of respiratory outcomes were consistent among themselves, and consistent with most previous work. ..
- Ristovski Z, Miljevic B, Surawski N, Morawska L, Fong K, Goh F, et al. Respiratory health effects of diesel particulate matter. Respirology. 2012;17:201-12 pubmed publisher..Understanding the mechanisms of lung injury from DPM will enhance efforts to protect at-risk individuals from the harmful respiratory effects of air pollutants. ..
- Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Alleyne G, Horton R, Li L, Lincoln P, et al. UN High-Level Meeting on Non-Communicable Diseases: addressing four questions. Lancet. 2011;378:449-55 pubmed publisher..Long-term success requires inspired and committed national and international leadership. ..
- Sacks J, Stanek L, Luben T, Johns D, Buckley B, Brown J, et al. Particulate matter-induced health effects: who is susceptible?. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:446-54 pubmed publisher..In addition, we crafted a comprehensive definition of susceptibility that can be used to encompass all populations potentially at increased risk of adverse health effects as a consequence of exposure to an air pollutant. ..
- Yang C, Yang H, Guo S, Wang Z, Xu X, Duan X, et al. Alternative ozone metrics and daily mortality in Suzhou: the China Air Pollution and Health Effects Study (CAPES). Sci Total Environ. 2012;426:83-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, maximum 8-hour average and 1-hour maximum concentrations of O(3) are associated with daily mortality in Suzhou. Our analyses strengthen the rationale for further limiting levels of O(3) pollution in the city. ..
- Perez L, Tobias A, Querol X, Pey J, Alastuey A, Diaz J, et al. Saharan dust, particulate matter and cause-specific mortality: a case-crossover study in Barcelona (Spain). Environ Int. 2012;48:150-5 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of which of the different PM size fractions brought by Saharan dust is more likely to accelerate adverse effects may help better understand mechanisms of toxicity. ..
- Winquist A, Klein M, Tolbert P, Flanders W, Hess J, Sarnat S. Comparison of emergency department and hospital admissions data for air pollution time-series studies. Environ Health. 2012;11:70 pubmed publisher..The strengths of observed associations with air pollutants sometimes varied between different health care visit types, but the relative strengths of association generally were specific to the pollutant-outcome combination. ..
- Kumar R, Lawrence M, Watt J, Cooksey A, Burgess S, Nanduri B. RNA-seq based transcriptional map of bovine respiratory disease pathogen "Histophilus somni 2336". PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29435 pubmed publisher..This observation suggests that a number of the newly identified sRNAs in strain 2336 may be involved in strain-specific adaptations...
- Barnett A, Fraser J, Munck L. The effects of the 2009 dust storm on emergency admissions to a hospital in Brisbane, Australia. Int J Biometeorol. 2012;56:719-26 pubmed publisher..Emergency departments should be prepared for a short-term increase in admissions during dust storms. ..
- Najnin N, Sinclair M, Forbes A, Leder K. Community based study to compare the incidence and health services utilization pyramid for gastrointestinal, respiratory and dermal symptoms. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:211 pubmed publisher..Measuring and comparing the community based burden of these symptom complexes will assist evidence-based allocation of resources. ..
- Lobdell D, Isakov V, Baxter L, Touma J, Smuts M, Ozkaynak H. Feasibility of assessing public health impacts of air pollution reduction programs on a local scale: New Haven case study. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:487-93 pubmed publisher..In contrast, exploratory epidemiological simulations suggest that it may be possible to demonstrate the health impacts of PM reductions by predicting intraurban pollution gradients within New Haven using coupled models. ..
- Dennekamp M, Abramson M. The effects of bushfire smoke on respiratory health. Respirology. 2011;16:198-209 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that PM(10) from bushfire smoke is at least as toxic as urban PM(10), but more research is needed. ..
- Lall R, Ito K, Thurston G. Distributed lag analyses of daily hospital admissions and source-apportioned fine particle air pollution. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:455-60 pubmed publisher..Differing lag structures and disease specificity observed for steel-related versus traffic-related PM2.5 raise the possibility of distinct mechanistic pathways of health effects for particles of differing chemical composition. ..
- Eng S, Defelice M. The Role and Immunobiology of Eosinophils in the Respiratory System: a Comprehensive Review. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2016;50:140-58 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this article is to further explore the topic of eosinophilic presence, activity, and pathology in the respiratory tract, as well as discuss current and future treatment options through a detailed literature review. ..
- Garcia C, Yap P, Park H, Weller B. Association of long-term PM2.5 exposure with mortality using different air pollution exposure models: impacts in rural and urban California. Int J Environ Health Res. 2016;26:145-57 pubmed publisher..Given the results seen, future mortality studies should consider adjusting for differences with rural-urban variables. ..
- Manuel A, Witmans M, El Hakim H. Children with a history of prematurity presenting with snoring and sleep-disordered breathing: a cross-sectional study. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:2030-4 pubmed publisher..Respiratory comorbidity was negatively predictive of severity of SDB. Inversely, children with untreated pulmonary comorbidities are more likely to have postoperative complications. ..
- Gordon S, Bruce N, Grigg J, Hibberd P, Kurmi O, Lam K, et al. Respiratory risks from household air pollution in low and middle income countries. Lancet Respir Med. 2014;2:823-60 pubmed publisher..To make clean energy available to all people is the long-term goal, with an intermediate solution being to make available energy that is clean enough to have a health impact. ..
- Guillam M, Pédrono G, le Bouquin S, Huneau A, Gaudon J, Leborgne R, et al. Chronic respiratory symptoms of poultry farmers and model-based estimates of long-term dust exposure. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2013;20:307-11 pubmed
- Sofianopoulou E, Pless Mulloli T, Rushton S, Diggle P. Modeling Seasonal and Spatiotemporal Variation: The Example of Respiratory Prescribing. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;186:101-108 pubmed publisher..The diagnostic procedures indicated that there was no need to model any remaining correlation explicitly. ..
- Ruiz de Adana M, Colomo N, Maldonado Araque C, Fontalba M, Linares F, GarcÃa Torres F, et al. Randomized clinical trial of the efficacy and safety of insulin glargine vs. NPH insulin as basal insulin for the treatment of glucocorticoid induced hyperglycemia using continuous glucose monitoring in hospitalized patients with type 2 diabetes and . Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015;110:158-65 pubmed publisher..The results of this study showed that insulin glargine and NPH insulin are equally effective in a basal-bolus insulin protocol to treat glucocorticoid-induced hyperglycemia in people with T2DM on a pneumology ward. ..
- Urtecho J, Snapp M, Sperling M, Maltenfort M, Vibbert M, Athar M, et al. Hospital mortality in primary admissions of septic patients with status epilepticus in the United States*. Crit Care Med. 2013;41:1853-62 pubmed publisher..More aggressive electrophysiological monitoring and a high level of suspicion for the diagnosis of status epilepticus may be indicated in those patients with central nervous system organ dysfunction after sepsis. ..
- Alagappan V, de Boer W, Misra V, Mooi W, Sharma H. Angiogenesis and vascular remodeling in chronic airway diseases. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2013;67:219-34 pubmed publisher..In this review article we address recent advances in pulmonary angiogenesis and remodelling that contribute in the pathogenesis of chronic airway diseases. ..
- Principi N, Esposito S. Nasal Irrigation: An Imprecisely Defined Medical Procedure. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..NI is not included or is only briefly mentioned by experts in the guidelines for treatment of upper respiratory tract diseases. In this review, present knowledge about NI and its relevance in clinical practice is discussed to ..
- Wang H, Zheng Y, Deng J, Wang W, Liu P, Yang F, et al. Prevalence of respiratory viruses among children hospitalized from respiratory infections in Shenzhen, China. Virol J. 2016;13:39 pubmed publisher..Nasopharyngeal swab specimens were obtained from 30,443 hospitalized children younger than 14 years with respiratory tract diseases in Shenzhen Children's Hospital from January 2012 to December 2015...
- Katz A. Noncommunicable diseases: global health priority or market opportunity? An illustration of the World Health Organization at its worst and at its best. Int J Health Serv. 2013;43:437-58 pubmed..Comparison of the reports offers an illustration of the World Health Organization at its worst, operating under the influence of the private sector, and at its best, operating according to its constitutional mandate. ..
- Hoek G, Krishnan R, Beelen R, Peters A, Ostro B, Brunekreef B, et al. Long-term air pollution exposure and cardio- respiratory mortality: a review. Environ Health. 2013;12:43 pubmed publisher..We identified studies through a search in the databases Medline and Scopus and previous reviews until January 2013 and performed a meta-analysis if more than five studies were available for the same exposure metric. ..
- Yao L, McDonald D. Plasticity of airway lymphatics in development and disease. Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol. 2014;214:41-54 pubmed publisher..Also addressed is the limited reversibility of changes in lymphatics during the resolution of inflammation. ..
- Takayanagi N. Biological agents and respiratory infections: Causative mechanisms and practice management. Respir Investig. 2015;53:185-200 pubmed publisher..To decrease the incidence of infections and reduce mortality, we should know the epidemiology, risk factors, management, and methods of prevention of respiratory infections in patients receiving biological agents. ..
- Sun X, Chen J, Shi Y, Zeng Q, Wei N, Xie R, et al. Measuring health literacy regarding infectious respiratory diseases: a new skills-based instrument. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64153 pubmed publisher..05, GFI?=?0.998, TLI?=?0.988, AGFI?=?0.992, RMSEA?=?0.028). The new instrument has good reliability and validity, and it could be used to assess the health literacy regarding respiratory infectious disease status of different groups. ..
- Hanzlicek G, Renter D, White B, Wagner B, Dargatz D, Sanderson M, et al. Management practices associated with the rate of respiratory tract disease among preweaned beef calves in cow-calf operations in the United States. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013;242:1271-8 pubmed publisher..Management practices associated with preweaning BRDC rates may be potential indicators or predictors of preweaning BRDC rates in cow-calf production systems. ..
- Ciuffini F, Marijke O, Lavizzari A, Ghirardi B, Musumeci S, Dusi E, et al. [Assessment of pulmonary function in a follow-up of premature infants: our experience]. Pediatr Med Chir. 2013;35:212-6 pubmed..The ability to assess lung function helps to define the mechanisms of respiratory failure, improving the treatment and its effects and is therefore a useful tool in the follow-up of newborn and infant with pulmonary disease. ..
- Dimakopoulou K, Samoli E, Beelen R, Stafoggia M, Andersen Z, Hoffmann B, et al. Air pollution and nonmalignant respiratory mortality in 16 cohorts within the ESCAPE project. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;189:684-96 pubmed publisher..Most hazard ratios were slightly below unity, with the exception of the traffic-proximity indicators. In this study of 16 cohorts, there was no association between air pollution exposure and nonmalignant respiratory mortality. ..
- Tarnoki D, Tarnoki A, Medda E, Littvay L, Lazar Z, Toccaceli V, et al. Genetic influence on the relation between exhaled nitric oxide and pulse wave reflection. J Breath Res. 2013;7:026008 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with an overlap among the sets of genes involved in the expression of these phenotypes and provides a basis for further genetic studies on cardiovascular and respiratory diseases. ..
- Garcia Rio F, Calle M, Burgos F, Casan P, del Campo F, Galdiz J, et al. Spirometry. Spanish Society of Pulmonology and Thoracic Surgery (SEPAR). Arch Bronconeumol. 2013;49:388-401 pubmed publisher..Finally, lines of adaptation and integration of spirometry in the field of new technologies are considered. ..
- Lappin M, Blondeau J, Boothe D, Breitschwerdt E, Guardabassi L, Lloyd D, et al. Antimicrobial use Guidelines for Treatment of Respiratory Tract Disease in Dogs and Cats: Antimicrobial Guidelines Working Group of the International Society for Companion Animal Infectious Diseases. J Vet Intern Med. 2017;31:279-294 pubmed publisher
- Martin K, Hanigan I, Morgan G, Henderson S, Johnston F. Air pollution from bushfires and their association with hospital admissions in Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong, Australia 1994-2007. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2013;37:238-43 pubmed publisher..Implications : Public health impacts from bushfire pollution events are likely to increase in association with a warming climate and more frequent severe fire weather. ..
- Wright T, Gibson P, Simpson J, McDonald V, Wood L, Baines K. Neutrophil extracellular traps are associated with inflammation in chronic airway disease. Respirology. 2016;21:467-75 pubmed publisher..NETs are present in the airways of subjects with asthma and COPD. Accumulation of excessive NETs was associated with activation of innate immune responses contributing to disease pathogenesis in chronic airway disease. ..
- McEvoy C, Schilling D, Clay N, Jackson K, Go M, Spitale P, et al. Vitamin C supplementation for pregnant smoking women and pulmonary function in their newborn infants: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014;311:2074-82 pubmed publisher..Vitamin C in pregnant smokers may be an inexpensive and simple approach to decrease the effects of smoking in pregnancy on newborn pulmonary function and respiratory morbidities. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00632476. ..
- Dalphin J, Didier A. [Environmental causes of the distal airways disease. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis and rare causes]. Rev Mal Respir. 2013;30:669-81 pubmed publisher..Finally, the complex lung exposure observed in some rare cases (such as the World Trade Center fire or during wars) may lead to a less characteristic pattern of small airways disease. ..
- Edward J, Sanyal M, Ramakrishnan V, Le W, Nguyen A, Kingdom T, et al. Systemic prednisone administration selectively alters granulocyte subsets in nasal polyps from aspirin-exacerbated respiratory disease and chronic rhinosinusitis patients. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2013;3:866-76 pubmed publisher..These data provide direct insights into the cellular effects of routine prednisone exposure in CRS patients, and highlight a unique microenvironment present within NP lesions. ..
- Lipkin E, Strillacci M, Eitam H, Yishay M, Schiavini F, Soller M, et al. The Use of Kosher Phenotyping for Mapping QTL Affecting Susceptibility to Bovine Respiratory Disease. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153423 pubmed publisher..Kosher phenotyping was shown to be a reliable means to map QTLs affecting BRD morbidity. ..
- Brackbill R, Cone J, Farfel M, Stellman S. Chronic physical health consequences of being injured during the terrorist attacks on World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:1076-85 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should be aware of the heightened risk of chronic heart and respiratory conditions among injured persons. ..