Genomes and Genes
Summary: Human behavior or decision related to REPRODUCTION.
- Schmidt L, Sobotka T, Bentzen J, Nyboe Andersen A. Demographic and medical consequences of the postponement of parenthood. Hum Reprod Update. 2012;18:29-43 pubmed publisher..Increasing public awareness of the impact of advanced female and male age on the reproductive outcome is essential for people to make well-informed decisions on when to start family formation...
- Craft S, Delaney R, Bautista D, Serovich J. Pregnancy decisions among women with HIV. AIDS Behav. 2007;11:927-35 pubmed..Women with a procreative inclination were more likely to choose to become pregnant which outweighed social support and personal health concerns. Implications and suggestions for future research are noted. ..
- Chi B, Rasch V, Thi Thúy Hanh N, Gammeltoft T. Pregnancy decision-making among HIV positive women in Northern Vietnam: reconsidering reproductive choice. Anthropol Med. 2011;18:315-26 pubmed publisher..Based on the findings, it is recommended that pregnancy counseling is offered not only to the woman herself, but also, if she desires, involves members of her extended family. ..
- Tough S, Tofflemire K, Benzies K, Fraser Lee N, Newburn Cook C. Factors influencing childbearing decisions and knowledge of perinatal risks among Canadian men and women. Matern Child Health J. 2007;11:189-98 pubmed..Poor understanding of the links between childbearing after age 35, pregnancy complications and increased risk of adverse infant outcomes limits adults' ability to make informed decisions about timing of childbearing. ..
- Tough S, Benzies K, Newburn Cook C, Tofflemire K, Fraser Lee N, Faber A, et al. What do women know about the risks of delayed childbearing?. Can J Public Health. 2006;97:330-4 pubmed..There are missed opportunities in preconception counselling and education, which should be addressed to allow for more informed decision-making about family planning. ..
- Daniluk J, Koert E, Cheung A. Childless women's knowledge of fertility and assisted human reproduction: identifying the gaps. Fertil Steril. 2012;97:420-6 pubmed publisher..This study offers important mental health contributions to infertility prevention and public health education efforts. ..
- Ndlovu V. Considering childbearing in the age of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART): Views of HIV-positive couples. SAHARA J. 2009;6:58-68 pubmed..The study also notes that there is a need to make available complete and unbiased information on HAART, mother-to-child transmission risk (MTCT) and pregnancy to HIV-positive couples so as to enable them to make informed decisions. ..
- Gettler L, McDade T, Feranil A, Kuzawa C. Prolactin, fatherhood, and reproductive behavior in human males. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2012;148:362-70 pubmed publisher..Philippines to evaluate relationships between prolactin, assayed from dried blood spots, and components of reproductive behavior and relationship status. In this sample, fathers had higher prolactin than nonfathers (P = 0...
- Murphy M. Where have all the children gone? Women's reports of more childlessness at older ages than when they were younger in a large-scale continuous household survey in Britain. Popul Stud (Camb). 2009;63:115-33 pubmed publisher..The findings have implications for the interpretation of retrospective data in surveys and for the availability of informal care for older people. ..
- Feldman R, Maposhere C. Safer sex and reproductive choice: findings from "positive women: voices and choices" in Zimbabwe. Reprod Health Matters. 2003;11:162-73 pubmed..Better economic opportunities for women, and integrated pregnancy and delivery care, family planning, STI and HIV-related services are needed which take account of HIV-positive women's needs. ..
- Cwikel J, Gramotnev H, Lee C. Never-married childless women in Australia: health and social circumstances in older age. Soc Sci Med. 2006;62:1991-2001 pubmed..Overall, there is no evidence to suggest that these women are a "problem" group. Rather, it seems that their life experiences and opportunities prepare them for a successful and productive older age. ..
- Heffner L. Advanced maternal age--how old is too old?. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1927-9 pubmed
- Skirbekk V, Kohler H, Prskawetz A. Birth month, school graduation, and the timing of births and marriages. Demography. 2004;41:547-68 pubmed..The relevance of social age is likely due to social interactions and peer-group influences exerted by individuals who are in the same school cohort but are not necessarily of the same age. ..
- Chou K, Chi I. Childlessness and psychological well-being in Chinese older adults. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2004;19:449-57 pubmed..Therefore, aged care service practitioners must take this risk factor into consideration in their preventive intervention and treatment for psychological well-being. ..
- Auger A. Steroid receptor control of reproductive behavior. Horm Behav. 2004;45:168-72 pubmed..For example, progestin receptors in rodent brain are sensitive to progesterone and to social cues in the environment. This review discusses these emerging mechanisms for steroid receptor control in developing and adult brain. ..
- Jorm A, Christensen H, Rodgers B, Jacomb P, Easteal S. Association of adverse childhood experiences, age of menarche, and adult reproductive behavior: does the androgen receptor gene play a role?. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2004;125B:105-11 pubmed..Earlier age of menarche was found to be associated with adverse childhood experiences and earlier sexual activity. However, the androgen receptor gene polymorphism was unrelated to adverse fathering behavior or to marital breakdown. ..
- Ali M, Cleland J, Shah I. Trends in reproductive behavior among young single women in Colombia and Peru: 1985-1999. Demography. 2003;40:659-73 pubmed..In both countries, sharp declines occurred in the proportion of premaritally conceived births that were reported as being wanted. ..
- Hammarberg K, Clarke V. Reasons for delaying childbearing--a survey of women aged over 35 years seeking assisted reproductive technology. Aust Fam Physician. 2005;34:187-8, 206 pubmed..Some reported reasons for delaying childbearing were beyond personal control. Lack of awareness of the impact of age on fertility may have contributed to the delay in a proportion of the women surveyed. ..
- Basu D, de Jong R. Son targeting fertility behavior: some consequences and determinants. Demography. 2010;47:521-36 pubmed..We find that income and geographic location of families significantly affect son targeting behavior. ..
- McConkie Rosell A, Heise E, Spiridigliozzi G. Influence of genetic risk information on parental role identity in adolescent girls and young women from families with fragile X syndrome. J Genet Couns. 2012;21:59-71 pubmed publisher..Findings offer valuable insight into the impact of genetic risk information on developing perceptions of the parental role and offer new directions for genetic counseling with adolescents and young women with a family history of FXS. ..
- Murtagh G. Ethical reflection on the harm in reproductive decision-making. J Med Ethics. 2007;33:717-20 pubmed..The purpose is to demonstrate that Harris's general conception of the moral limits of reproductive autonomy obscures the issues raised by particular cases, which in themselves may reveal important directions for our ethical inquiry. ..
- Bourey C, Stephenson R, Hindin M. Reproduction, functional autonomy and changing experiences of intimate partner violence within marriage in rural India. Int Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2013;39:215-26 pubmed publisher..4). Future research to inform interventions to reduce intimate partner violence should consider how changes in women's reproductive experiences and functional autonomy may be linked to changes in intimate partner violence. ..
- Keogh S, Urassa M, Kumogola Y, Mngara J, Zaba B. Reproductive behaviour and HIV status of antenatal clients in northern Tanzania: opportunities for family planning and preventing mother-to-child transmission integration. AIDS. 2009;23 Suppl 1:S27-35 pubmed publisher..The differences in reproductive history and intentions between HIV-positive and HIV-negative women highlight the necessity of tailoring family planning counselling to their specific needs. ..
- Schwarz E, Parisi S, Handler S, Koren G, Cohen E, Shevchik G, et al. Clinical decision support to promote safe prescribing to women of reproductive age: a cluster-randomized trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2012;27:831-8 pubmed publisher..CDS systems hold promise for increasing provision of family planning services when fertile women are prescribed potentially teratogenic medications, but further refinement of these systems is needed. ..
- Finocchario Kessler S, Mabachi N, Dariotis J, Anderson J, Goggin K, Sweat M. "We weren't using condoms because we were trying to conceive": the need for reproductive counseling for HIV-positive women in clinical care. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012;26:700-7 pubmed publisher..Provider initiated reproductive counseling is needed to strategically avoid or plan pregnancy and reduce risk of transmission to partners and infants rather than leaving it to chance, which can have major health implications. ..
- Polis C, Phillips S, Curtis K. Hormonal contraceptive use and female-to-male HIV transmission: a systematic review of the epidemiologic evidence. AIDS. 2013;27:493-505 pubmed publisher..To systematically review epidemiologic evidence assessing whether hormonal contraception alters the risk of HIV transmission from an HIV-positive woman to an HIV-negative male partner...
- Negash S, Yusuf L, Tefera M. Fertility desires predictors among people living with HIV/AIDS at art care centers of two teaching hospitals in Addis Ababa. Ethiop Med J. 2013;51:1-11 pubmed..We suggest a large scale studies to be undertaken in the future. ..
- Bute J, Jensen R. Low-income women describe fertility-related expectations: descriptive norms, injunctive norms, and behavior. Health Commun. 2010;25:681-91 pubmed publisher..We discuss these results in light of the extant literature on social norms. ..
- Shkedi Rafid S, Hashiloni Dolev Y. Egg freezing for non-medical uses: the lack of a relational approach to autonomy in the new Israeli policy and in academic discussion. J Med Ethics. 2012;38:154-7 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, they promote 'individual autonomy' as exercised through informed consent. Our study suggests that a relational approach to autonomy may be a more suitable model for considering women's choices about egg freezing. ..
- Daniluk J, Koert E. Childless Canadian men's and women's childbearing intentions, attitudes towards and willingness to use assisted human reproduction. Hum Reprod. 2012;27:2405-12 pubmed publisher..This research was funded by a grant from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and Assisted Human Reproduction Canada #PAH-103594, 2009/10. No competing interests. ..
- Levandowski B, Pearson E, Lunguzi J, Katengeza H. Reproductive health characteristics of young Malawian women seeking post-abortion care. Afr J Reprod Health. 2012;16:253-61 pubmed..Programs to increase access to pregnancy prevention services and protect young women from unsafe abortions are greatly needed. ..
- McAllister L, Pepper G, Virgo S, Coall D. The evolved psychological mechanisms of fertility motivation: hunting for causation in a sea of correlation. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371:20150151 pubmed publisher..We also discuss weaknesses in the experimental research, including limited work with non-WEIRD (western, educated, industrialized, rich and democratic) populations. ..
- Chuang C, Velott D, Weisman C. Exploring knowledge and attitudes related to pregnancy and preconception health in women with chronic medical conditions. Matern Child Health J. 2010;14:713-719 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the development of preconception care for women with chronic medical conditions...
- Smith L. Chastity belts and birthing girdles. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2007;33:285-6 pubmed
- Davis A, Pack A, Kritzer J, Yoon A, Camus A. Reproductive history, sexual behavior and use of contraception in women with epilepsy. Contraception. 2008;77:405-9 pubmed publisher..Of those using contraception, only 53% used a highly effective method. Future studies should determine generalizability of these findings and explore reasons for inadequate family planning in women with epilepsy. ..
- Stulp G, Barrett L. Wealth, fertility and adaptive behaviour in industrial populations. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371:20150153 pubmed publisher..We conclude by discussing whether the wealth-fertility relationship can inform us about the adaptiveness of modern fertility behaviour, and argue against simplistic claims regarding maladaptive behaviour in humans. ..
- Doshi A. The cost of clear skin: balancing the social and safety costs of iPLEDGE with the efficacy of Accutane (isotretinoin). Seton Hall Law Rev. 2007;37:625-60 pubmed
- Neuman S. Is fertility indeed related to religiosity? A note on: 'marital fertility and religion in Spain, 1985 and 1999', Population Studies 60(2): 205-221 by Alicia Adsera. Popul Stud (Camb). 2007;61:219-24; discussion 225-30 pubmed
- Smith M, Aguirre R. Reproductive attitudes and behaviors in people with sickle cell disease or sickle cell trait: a qualitative interpretive meta-synthesis. Soc Work Health Care. 2012;51:757-79 pubmed publisher..Implications for prevention programming involving improved education and awareness about the disease and reproduction are discussed. ..
- Bressan P, Stranieri D. The best men are (not always) already taken: female preference for single versus attached males depends on conception risk. Psychol Sci. 2008;19:145-51 pubmed publisher..As predicted, partnered women favored attached men at the low-fertility phases of the menstrual cycle, but preferred single men (if masculine, i.e., advertising good genetic quality) when conception risk was high. ..
- Gavin L, Catalano R, David Ferdon C, Gloppen K, Markham C. A review of positive youth development programs that promote adolescent sexual and reproductive health. J Adolesc Health. 2010;46:S75-91 pubmed publisher..However, more research is needed before a specific list of program characteristics can be viewed as a "recipe" for success. ..
- Chang E, Wilber K, Silverstein M. The effects of childlessness on the care and psychological well-being of older adults with disabilities. Aging Ment Health. 2010;14:712-9 pubmed publisher..This finding has important implications, as it is projected that 30% of baby boomers who will need assistance will lack care from spouses or adult children. Further exploration of compensatory resources is suggested. ..
- Sebo P, Jackson Y, Haller D, Gaspoz J, Wolff H. Sexual and reproductive health behaviors of undocumented migrants in Geneva: a cross sectional study. J Immigr Minor Health. 2011;13:510-7 pubmed publisher..Our study underlines the real need for specific sexual and reproductive educational programs targeting this hard to reach population. ..
- Riegler A, Marroni F, Pattaro C, Gueresi P, Pramstaller P. Isolation and marriage patterns in four South Tyrolean villages (Italy) during the nineteenth century. J Biosoc Sci. 2008;40:787-91 pubmed
- Cliffe S, Townsend C, Cortina Borja M, Newell M. Fertility intentions of HIV-infected women in the United Kingdom. AIDS Care. 2011;23:1093-101 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the need for specialised family planning and reproductive health services targeting this population. ..
- Nabukera S, Wingate M, Kirby R, Owen J, Swaminathan S, Alexander G, et al. Interpregnancy interval and subsequent perinatal outcomes among women delaying initiation of childbearing. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2008;34:941-7 pubmed publisher..As numbers of women delaying childbearing beyond age 30 increase, providers should consider these risks in counseling women about their reproductive plans. ..
- Beets G. Baby booms and busts: waves in fertility patterns. Anthropol Anz. 2009;67:461-72 pubmed..Evidence comes from three European countries in the past decades. Politicians should keep distant from trying to change fertility levels as that easily can lead to regrettable waves in age group sizes. ..
- Wierckx K, Van Caenegem E, Pennings G, Elaut E, Dedecker D, Van De Peer F, et al. Reproductive wish in transsexual men. Hum Reprod. 2012;27:483-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, more attention should be paid to this topic during the diagnostic phase of transition and to the consequences for genetic parenthood after starting sex reassignment therapy. ..
- Hickman T, McKenzie L, Schlenker T, Pinasco M. First successful delivery in Texas using vitrified human oocytes: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2013;58:538-40 pubmed..We report the first live births in Texas using vitrified oocytes. Vitrification may serve as a useful tool in the preservation of oocytes for women who wish to delay child bearing for medical or social reasons. ..
- Levin R. Sexual arousal--its physiological roles in human reproduction. Annu Rev Sex Res. 2005;16:154-89 pubmed..The review examines the physiological roles of human sexual arousal in the mechanisms of reproduction in males and especially in females. ..