Genomes and Genes
Summary: Transport of the OVUM or fertilized ovum (ZYGOTE) from the mammalian oviduct (FALLOPIAN TUBES) to the site of EMBRYO IMPLANTATION in the UTERUS.
- Østergård M, Børlum K, Fedder J. [Transport-in vitro-fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injections in Denmark]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2002;164:3950-3 pubmed..As reported from the Netherlands, the UK, and Argentina (Table 4) transportation of oocytes does not seem to damage their potential for fertilisation and implantation. ..
- Gupta J, Roy S. Effect of tamoxifen on cytosolic estrogen receptor in the different parts of fallopian tube and uterus during ovum transport. Exp Clin Endocrinol. 1987;90:293-300 pubmed..on estrogen cytosolic receptor was observed in different parts of fallopian tube and uterus of rabbits during ovum transport. Tubal segments viz...
- Mwanza M, Razdan P, Hultén F, Einarsson S. Transport of fertilised and unfertilized ova in sows. Anim Reprod Sci. 2002;74:69-74 pubmed..2+/-0.3 segments whereas in the N-group, ova had passed 2.6+/-0.3 segments (P=0.38). It can be concluded that there is no difference in the transportation of either fertilised or unfertilized ova in the reproductive tract of pigs. ..
- Gemzell Danielsson K, Mandl I, Marions L. Mechanisms of action of mifepristone when used for emergency contraception. Contraception. 2003;68:471-6 pubmed
- Paris D, Taggart D, Shaw G, Temple Smith P, Renfree M. Birth of pouch young after artificial insemination in the tammar wallaby (Macropus eugenii). Biol Reprod. 2005;72:451-9 pubmed..p.) but with highly motile spermatozoa. These young represent the first macropodids born by AI and the first marsupials conceived using epididymal spermatozoa. ..
- Helm G, Ekman R, Owman C. Cyclic fluctuations of vasoactive intestinal polypeptide measured radioimmunologically in various regions of the human fallopian tube. Int J Fertil. 1987;32:467-71 pubmed
- Brökelmann J. [Functional morphology of the fallopian tube]. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 1989;245:391-5 pubmed..The ovarian fimbria contains muscle bundles which may be important for the capture of the egg. ..
- Tsutsui T. Gamete physiology and timing of ovulation and fertilization in dogs. J Reprod Fertil Suppl. 1989;39:269-75 pubmed..The mating period during which conception is possible is thus about 7 days from the onset of oestrus. ..
- Kolle S, Reese S, Kummer W. New aspects of gamete transport, fertilization, and embryonic development in the oviduct gained by means of live cell imaging. Theriogenology. 2010;73:786-95 pubmed publisher..The current review will focus on a short description of recent techniques of live cell imaging in the reproductive tract followed by an overview of actual observations during the early events of reproduction...
- Moore G, Croxatto H. Synthetic microspheres transferred to the rat oviduct on day 1 of pregnancy mimic the transport of native ova. J Reprod Fertil. 1988;82:735-42 pubmed..The rat oviduct does not change the rate of transport of native eggs following transfer of synthetic surrogate ova.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Oróstica M, Zúñiga L, Utz D, Parada Bustamante A, Velasquez L, Cardenas H, et al. Tumour necrosis factor-? is the signal induced by mating to shutdown a 2-methoxyestradiol nongenomic action necessary to accelerate oviductal egg transport in the rat. Reproduction. 2013;145:109-17 pubmed publisher..We concluded that TNF-? is the signal induced by mating to shut down a 2ME nongenomic action in the rat oviduct. ..
- Halbert S, Szal S, Broderson S. Anatomical basis of a passive mechanism for ovum retention at the ampulloisthmic junction. Anat Rec. 1988;221:841-5 pubmed..We conclude that the contrasting morphology of the ampulla and isthmus may suffice to explain AIJ retention, and no special active mechanism need be postulated. ..
- Gupta J, Roy S. Effect of clomiphene on nuclear estrogen receptor of the fallopian tube during ovum transport in rabbits. Endocr Res. 1989;15:339-53 pubmedThe effect of clomiphene on nuclear estrogen receptors of the Fallopian tube during ovum transport in the rabbit has been studied...
- Shearin R, Boehlke J. Hormonal contraception. Pediatr Clin North Am. 1989;36:697-715 pubmed..All complaints of headache should be seriously evaluated. Use of minipills, medicated IUDs, implants, vaginal rings and injectables are briefly noted. ..
- Kissler S, Hamscho N, Zangos S, Gätje R, Muller A, Rody A, et al. Diminished pregnancy rates in endometriosis due to impaired uterotubal transport assessed by hysterosalpingoscintigraphy. BJOG. 2005;112:1391-6 pubmed..This resulted in diminished pregnancy rates even in women with normozoospermic partners. Therefore, IVF/ICSI may be required even when fallopian tubes are patent or semen quality is normal. ..
- Al Alem L, Bridges P, Su W, Gong M, Iglarz M, Ko C. Endothelin-2 induces oviductal contraction via endothelin receptor subtype A in rats. J Endocrinol. 2007;193:383-91 pubmed..In summary, ET(A) receptor-specific EDN2-induced contraction as a facilitator of oviductal function suggests a novel pathway involved in germ cell transport and hence mammalian fertility. ..
- Lei H, Xu Y. [Effects of gossypol acetic acid on transport and development of fertilized eggs in rats]. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 1990;25:561-5 pubmed..It is suggested that these two effects may be important causes of the antiimplantation action of gossypol. ..
- Gieseke C, Talbot P. Cigarette smoke inhibits hamster oocyte pickup by increasing adhesion between the oocyte cumulus complex and oviductal cilia. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:443-51 pubmed..The oviduct is more sensitive to the adverse effects of smoke; however, this may be caused by a combined impact on mechanisms involved in both adhesion and ciliary function. ..
- Mwanza A, Rodriguez Martinez H, Kindahl H, Einarsson S. Postovulatory effect of intravenous administration of lipopolysaccharide (E. coli, O55:B5) on the contractile activity of the oviduct, ova transport, binding of accessory spermatozoa to the zona pellucida and embryo development in sows. Reprod Domest Anim. 2002;37:269-74 pubmed
- Heifetz Y, Yu J, Wolfner M. Ovulation triggers activation of Drosophila oocytes. Dev Biol. 2001;234:416-24 pubmed..Activation also triggers meiosis to resume before the egg reaches the uterus, such that the earliest eggs that reach the uterus are in anaphase I. We discuss models for Drosophila egg activation in vivo. ..
- Shi D, Komatsu K, Uemura T, Fujimori T. Analysis of ciliary beat frequency and ovum transport ability in the mouse oviduct. Genes Cells. 2011;16:282-90 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the ciliated cells of the infundibulum can generate unidirectional flows and are able to deliver ova by their ciliary activities despite their discordance in beating periodicity. ..
- Nogueira A, Nogueira A, Gemi F. Two consecutive intrauterine pregnancies following transperitoneal ovum migration. Sao Paulo Med J. 2011;129:271-5 pubmed..The clinical and physiological implications are discussed. ..
- Kajanová M, L D, S P, Miko M, Urban L, Bokor T, et al. [The structural basis for transport through the Fallopian tube]. Ceska Gynekol. 2012;77:566-71 pubmed
- Huang S, Driessen N, Knoll M, Talbot P. In vitro analysis of oocyte cumulus complex pickup rate in the hamster Mesocricetus auratus. Mol Reprod Dev. 1997;47:312-22 pubmed..94) between OCC pickup rate and temperature. The OCC pickup rate assay can be used experimentally, and should be valuable in evaluating factors that affect rate and in studies dealing with the mechanism of OCC pickup. ..
- Halling A, von Mecklenburg C, Forsberg J. Factors of importance for decreased early embryo survival in female mice treated neonatally with diethylstilboestrol. J Reprod Fertil. 1993;99:291-7 pubmed..These studies showed that neonatal DES treatment caused changes in the adult reproductive tract as revealed by a detrimental effect upon embryo development, more rapid oviductal transport and loss of embryos from the uterus. ..
- Ortiz M, Bastias G, Darrigrande O, Croxatto H. Importance of uterine expulsion of embryos in the interceptive mechanism of postcoital oestradiol in rats. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1991;3:333-7 pubmed..These data emphasize the importance of retentive and expulsive properties of the uterus for fertility and infertility. ..
- Yang L, Xu Y, Zhao G. [Effects of isocorydine on contraction of the rabbit oviduct smooth muscle]. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 1990;25:859-61 pubmed..Isoc antagonized the norepinephrine-induced contraction of the oviduct. The transport of ova through the oviduct reduced by hCG could be delayed by Isoc. ..
- Pulkkinen M. Oviductal function is critical for very early human life. Ann Med. 1995;27:307-10 pubmed..Diverse oviductal factors affect the incidence, infection being the most significant. Optimal oviductal function is necessary to provide a proper environment for early human life. ..
- Gauwerky J, Reinecke M, Schneider K. [Regulatory peptides of the uterine tube in the human]. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 1989;245:401-4 pubmed..While NPY alone was found to exert no effects, it antagonized the action of acetylcholin. Thus, our results indicate that NT and SP may have a neurotransmitter and NPY a neuromodulator function in the regulation of oviductal motility. ..
- Krautwald Junghanns M, Kostka V, Hofbauer H. Observations on the significance of diagnostic findings in egg-binding of Psittaciformes. Vet Rec. 1998;143:498-502 pubmed..However, laminated and thin-shelled eggs could only be differentiated definitively from abdominal masses, salpingitis and cystic degeneration by means of ultrasonography...
- Viggiano M, Zicari J, Gimeno A, Gimeno M. Influence of ova within rat oviducts on spontaneous motility and on prostaglandin production. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1990;41:13-7 pubmed
- Wong C, Chan O, Lee K, O W, Chow P. Absence of paternal accessory sex glands dysregulates preimplantation embryo cell cycle and causes early oviductal-uterine transit in the golden hamster in vivo. Fertil Steril. 2008;89:1021-4 pubmed..Quantification by immunocytochemistry showed disrupted cyclicity of proliferating cell nuclear antigen, augmented p53 and p21 expression, and premature transit from oviduct to uterus. ..
- Orihuela P, Parada Bustamante A, Zúñiga L, Croxatto H. Inositol triphosphate participates in an oestradiol nongenomic signalling pathway involved in accelerated oviductal transport in cycling rats. J Endocrinol. 2006;188:579-88 pubmed..These findings clearly illustrate a non-genomic pathway triggered by E(2) that regulates a complex physiologic process accomplished by an entire organ...
- Suginami H, Yano K. An ovum capture inhibitor (OCI) in endometriosis peritoneal fluid: an OCI-related membrane responsible for fimbrial failure of ovum capture. Fertil Steril. 1988;50:648-53 pubmed..The flushed oviduct resumed its activity of ovum capture. The OCI-related membrane appeared a cause of OCI interference with fimbrial ovum capture by preventing the contact between the fimbrial cilia and the cumulus oophorus. ..
- Shafik A, El Sebai O, Shafik A, Shafik I. Oviduct contractile response to vaginal distension: identification of vagino-tubal reflex. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2005;271:148-51 pubmed..We investigated the hypothesis that vaginal distension effects oviduct contraction, which assists in ovum transport along the oviduct. Oviduct pressure was measured upon vaginal condom distension in 16 women (mean age 32.2+/-1...
- Dodds W, Miller F, Friedman C, Lisko B, Goldberg J, Kim M. The effect of preovulatory peritoneal fluid from cases of endometriosis on murine in vitro fertilization, embryo development, oviduct transport, and implantation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1992;166:219-24 pubmed
- Rios M, Hermoso M, Sánchez T, Croxatto H, Villalon M. Effect of oestradiol and progesterone on the instant and directional velocity of microsphere movements in the rat oviduct: gap junctions mediate the kinetic effect of oestradiol. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2007;19:634-40 pubmed..Gap junctions are probably involved as smooth muscle synchronisers in this kinetic effect of E2, but the opposing effects of E2 and P are not exerted at the level of Cx43 transcription...
- Isla M, Costa G, Garcia Pascual A, Triguero D, Garcia Sacristan A. Intrinsic spontaneous activity and beta-adrenoceptor-mediated tubal dilatation affect ovum transport in the oviduct of the cow. J Reprod Fertil. 1989;85:79-87 pubmed
- Priyadarsana M, Wijayagunawardane B, Miyamoto A. Endothelin-1 system in the bovine oviduct: a regulator of local contraction and gamete transport. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004;44 Suppl 1:S248-51 pubmed..In conclusion, the oviductal ET system enhances the release of contraction-related substances and modulates local contraction to optimize the oviductal transport of the gametes and embryo. ..
- Cefalu E, Cittadini E, Balmaceda J, Guastella G, Ord T, Rojas F, et al. Successful gamete intrafallopian transfer following failed artificial insemination by donor: evidence for a defect in gamete transport?. Fertil Steril. 1988;50:279-82 pubmed..Eight miscarriages occurred during the first trimester (29% of all pregnancies), whereas no ectopic pregnancies were observed. These data conclusively show the value of the GIFT procedure in the treatment of cases with failed AID. ..
- Korenaga M, Kadota T. Changes in mechanical properties of the circular muscle of the isthmus of the human fallopian tube in relation to hormonal domination and postovulatory time. Fertil Steril. 1981;36:343-50 pubmed
- Sreenivasulu S, Singh M, Kamboj V. Effect of a new anti-oestrogen and anti-implantation agent, CDRI-85/287, on tubal transport, development and viability of rat embryos. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1994;6:241-6 pubmed..The compound therefore did not seem to have any deleterious direct effect on development or viability of rat embryos. ..
- Kanayama K, Osada H. Relationship between changes in volume of the oviductal fluid in the ampulla and the descent of ovulated eggs from the ampulla to the isthmus in mice. J Int Med Res. 2000;28:20-3 pubmed..The peak in the volume of oviductal fluid seen at day 3 is likely to coincide with the opening of the ampullary-isthmic junction of the oviduct. ..
- Wang H, Guo Y, Wang D, Kingsley P, Marnett L, Das S, et al. Aberrant cannabinoid signaling impairs oviductal transport of embryos. Nat Med. 2004;10:1074-80 pubmed..Besides uncovering a new regulatory mechanism, this study could be clinically relevant to ectopic pregnancy. ..
- Schorn M. How does oral emergency contraception work?. Nursing. 2006;36:31 pubmed
- Dunselman G, Land J, Bouckaert P, Evers J. Effect of endometriosis on ovulation, ovum pickup, fertilization and tubal transport in the rabbit. J Reprod Fertil. 1988;82:193-7 pubmed..e. development of the pre-implantation embryo or implantation. ..
- Fuentealba B, Nieto M, Croxatto H. Ovum transport in pregnant rats is little affected by RU486 and exogenous progesterone as compared to cycling rats. Biol Reprod. 1987;37:768-74 pubmed..Thus, RU486 failed to accelerate ovum transport during the first three days of treatment in pregnant rats, in spite of the fact that no progesterone receptors ..
- Mwanza A, Einarsson S, Madej A, Lundeheim N, Rodriguez Martinez H, Kindahl H. Postovulatory effect of repeated administration of prostaglandin F2alpha on the endocrine status, ova transport, binding of accessory spermatozoa to the zona pellucida and embryo development of recently ovulated sows. Theriogenology. 2002;58:1111-24 pubmed..Furthermore, repeated PGF2alpha administration might be associated with a delayed ova transport and an increased number of accessory spermatozoa bound to the ZP. However, the effect of PGF2alpha on embryo development is unclear. ..
- Velasquez L, Aguilera J, Croxatto H. Possible role of platelet-activating factor in embryonic signaling during oviductal transport in the hamster. Biol Reprod. 1995;52:1302-6 pubmed..These results suggest that preimplantation hamster embryos produce PAF-like activity that mediates embryonic signaling to the oviduct as well as pregnancy-associated thrombocytopenia. ..
- Fahiminiya S, Gerard N. [Follicular fluid in mammals]. Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2010;38:402-4 pubmed publisher..The aim of this paper is to review current knowledge on the formation, composition and roles of follicular fluid. ..
- Orihuela P, Croxatto H. Acceleration of oviductal transport of oocytes induced by estradiol in cycling rats is mediated by nongenomic stimulation of protein phosphorylation in the oviduct. Biol Reprod. 2001;65:1238-45 pubmed..Mating changes the mechanism of action of E2 in the oviduct by waiving this nongenomic action as a requirement for E2-induced embryo transport acceleration. ..
- Menkhorst E, Ezard N, Selwood L. Induction of ovulation and natural oestrous cycling in the Stripe-faced Dunnart, Sminthopsis macroura. Reproduction. 2007;133:495-502 pubmed
- Athanasas Platsis S, Morton H, Dunglison G, Kaye P. Antibodies to early pregnancy factor retard embryonic development in mice in vivo. J Reprod Fertil. 1991;92:443-51 pubmed..The delay in development did not appear to be caused by a disruption of the normal pattern of circulating progesterone, as progesterone concentrations on Day 4 were within the normal range for Quackenbush mice. ..