Summary: The Christian faith, practice, or system of the Catholic Church, specifically the Roman Catholic, the Christian church that is characterized by a hierarchic structure of bishops and priests in which doctrinal and disciplinary authority are dependent upon apostolic succession, with the pope as head of the episcopal college. (From Webster, 3d ed; American Heritage Dictionary, 2d college ed)
- Schlairet M, Cohen R. Allow-natural-death (AND) orders: legal, ethical, and practical considerations. HEC Forum. 2013;25:161-71 pubmed publisher..This is followed by argument and counter-argument focused on ethical, legal, and practical issues germane to EOL care decision-making associated with use of AND orders. ..
- Brosens I. Are Catholic universities giving up reproductive medicine?. Reprod Biomed Online. 2007;15 Suppl 2:43-6 pubmed..Comparison of the scientific performances by the Catholic universities with and without IVF shows that the absence of IVF is disastrous for research in reproductive medicine. ..
- Williams S, Karahalios V, Ferrari J. First-generation college students and U.S. citizens: is the university perceived like family or strangers?. J Prev Interv Community. 2013;41:45-54 pubmed publisher..Future research should explore why there is a differing impact on school sense of community and campus mission perception for students who are first-generation U.S. citizens or first-generation college students. ..
- Boyd C, Johansen B. A cultural shift. Resident-directed care at Providence Mount St. Vincent in Seattle places elders at the center of the universe. Health Prog. 2008;89:37-42 pubmed
- Terry K, Freilich J. Understanding child sexual abuse by Catholic priests from a situational perspective. J Child Sex Abus. 2012;21:437-55 pubmed publisher..The article concludes with a discussion about how ecological information can be used to craft intervention policies to prevent sexual offenses. ..
- Smith S. Precision and certitude: laws governing laws. Health Prog. 2008;89:6-7 pubmed
- Laval E. [Petrus Hispanus, medieval physician elected as Pope named John XXI: Sketck of medicine in the Middle Age]. Rev Chilena Infectol. 2013;30:562-5 pubmed publisher..He was archbishop of Braga and Cardinal in 1272 and 1273, respectively. Elected Pope in 1276, he died tragically on May 20, 1277. Precedes this article a sketch of Medieval Medicine with emphasis on the XII and XIII centuries. ..
- Zhang Q. Hybridizing scholastic psychology with Chinese medicine: a seventeenth-century Chinese Catholic's conceptions of xin (mind and heart). Early Sci Med. 2008;13:313-60 pubmed
- Mishtal J, Dannefer R. Reconciling religious identity and reproductive practices: the Church and contraception in Poland. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2010;15:232-42 pubmed publisher..Despite restrictions on FP services, modern contraceptive use among our sample was 56%, up from 19% in 1991. Catholicism played a relatively small role in respondents' contraceptive decisions; though 94...
- Jurado V, Porca E, Pastrana M, Cuezva S, Fernandez Cortes A, Saiz Jimenez C. Microbiological study of bulls of indulgence of the 15th-16th centuries. Sci Total Environ. 2010;408:3711-5 pubmed publisher..This can be explained considering that the documents were found on pelvic region, and were contaminated by body fluids and putrefaction. ..
- ..But this account does require that providers attend meaningfully to the suffering of patients and seek feedback on whether their intervention has effectively addressed that suffering. ..
- Peitl M, Peitl V, Pavlovic E. Influence of religion on sexual self-perception and sexual satisfaction in patients suffering from schizophrenia and depression. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2009;39:155-67 pubmed
- ..An adapted and more persuasive version of Pascal's Wager is presented and offered as a conclusive argument in favour of utilizing cryonic suspension. ..
- Nau J. [The archbishop of Paris and the status of the human embryo (I)]. Rev Med Suisse. 2008;4:555 pubmed
- Bouchard C. Health care as 'ministry': common usage, confused theology. What does it mean to the future of Catholic health care?. Health Prog. 2008;89:26-30 pubmed
- Duffin J. The doctor was surprised; or, how to diagnose a miracle. Bull Hist Med. 2007;81:699-729 pubmed..From this analysis, medicine and religion emerge as parallel semiotic endeavors, using their canons of wisdom and careful observation to derive meaning in suffering. ..
- Himle J, Taylor R, Chatters L. Religious involvement and obsessive compulsive disorder among African Americans and Black Caribbeans. J Anxiety Disord. 2012;26:502-10 pubmed publisher..With regard to demographic factors, persons of older age and higher education levels were significantly less likely to have OCD. ..
- Brown D, Conley K, Resnicow K, Murphy J, Sanchez B, Cowdery J, et al. Stroke Health and Risk Education (SHARE): design, methods, and theoretical basis. Contemp Clin Trials. 2012;33:721-9 pubmed publisher..Persistence testing is performed at 18 months in the intervention group. The trial is registered with clinicaltrials.gov (NCT01378780). ..
- Ferrari J, Bottom T. Who do we say we are? Publically proclaiming one's university mission identity. Introduction. J Prev Interv Community. 2013;41:1-3 pubmed publisher..School administrators and those interested in community engagement impacts on students may find these articles useful and informative. ..
- Dufault K. Offering a flickering light. How caregivers contribute to atmospheres of hope. Health Prog. 2008;89:57-61 pubmed
- Kang Sim D, Hofstetter C, Irvin V, Ayers J, Macera C, Ji M, et al. Do christian denominations exhibit higher rates of alcohol consumption? A study of Korean American women in California. J Relig Health. 2013;52:285-98 pubmed publisher..Path analysis suggested that specific denominations had both direct and indirect effects on the outcome of interest, and that religious commitment and drinking models served as moderators for this phenomenon. ..
- Colzato L, van Beest I, van den Wildenberg W, Scorolli C, Dorchin S, Meiran N, et al. God: Do I have your attention?. Cognition. 2010;117:87-94 pubmed publisher..is significantly reduced in Calvinism, a religion emphasizing individual responsibility, and increased in Catholicism and Judaism, religions emphasizing social solidarity...
- Radkowska Walkowicz M. The creation of "monsters": the discourse of opposition to in vitro fertilization in Poland. Reprod Health Matters. 2012;20:30-7 pubmed publisher..Although the world of families with IVF does not provide examples of children who could be considered monsters in any of these terms, these arguments have become the primary reasons given for banning IVF. ..
- Brody H, Hermer L, Scott L, Grumbles L, Kutac J, McCammon S. Artificial nutrition and hydration: the evolution of ethics, evidence, and policy. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26:1053-8 pubmed publisher..Discussions of ANH today are often conducted without any understanding of this historical context. Patients' interests could be better protected through remedial action at both the individual and the policy levels. ..
- Watzka C, Jelínek P. [Medical hospitals in pre-Enlightenment central Europe. The example of the Hospital of the Order of St. John of God in Feldsberg/Valtice and its patients 1630-1660]. Medizinhist J. 2009;44:235-73 pubmed..Most of them had worked as servants or craftsmen, and a considerable number were migrants. ..
- Knights W. Richard Clarke Cabot, M.D., a unitarian critique. J Pastoral Care Counsel. 2011;65:1-8 pubmed..This article places Cabot in his family and historical contexts, his involvement in CPE, and comments on his theology, noting how this differed from the prevailing Unitarian theology of his day. ..
- Paglieri F, Borghi A, Colzato L, Hommel B, Scorolli C. Heaven can wait. How religion modulates temporal discounting. Psychol Res. 2013;77:738-47 pubmed publisher..We conclude that temporal discounting is specifically modulated by religious upbringing rather than by generic cultural differences. ..
- Jungnitz B. [Paris 1633--a milestone in the development of modern nursing. Vincent de Paul and the sisterhood of the Daughters of charity]. Hist Hosp. 2010;27:223-38 pubmed..Nursing sisterhoods in Germany were modelled for the French Daughters of Charity that had been planted in 1633 by Vincent de Paul and Louise de Marillac in Paris. Models for this planting are pointed to. ..
- Al Ramiah A, Hewstone M, Voci A, Cairns E, Hughes J. It's never too late for 'us' to meet 'them': prior intergroup friendships moderate the impact of later intergroup friendships in educational settings. Br J Educ Psychol. 2013;83:57-75 pubmed publisher..We discuss these findings in terms of the impact of mixing in educational contexts, especially in Northern Ireland, and outline suggestions for future research. ..
- Mellagi A, Monteiro Y. [The religious imaginary of Hansen's disease patients: a comparative study of former inmates of the asylums of São Paulo and current Hansen's disease patients]. Hist Cienc Saude Manguinhos. 2009;16:489-504 pubmed..Five questionnaires were also given to DHDS health professionals, who presented their considerations concerning the patient's religion and the treatment. ..
- Orr R, McKeown S, Cairns E, Stringer M. Examining non-racial segregation: a micro-ecological approach. Br J Soc Psychol. 2012;51:717-23 pubmed publisher..The success of this methodology in capturing this information has far-reaching implications for the future study of the micro-ecology of contact. ..
- Hoga L, Tiburcio C, Borges A, Zoboli E, Chavez Alvarez R. Counseling regarding sexual and reproductive behavior: principles and practices of catholic priests. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2010;18:1237-45 pubmed
- Bilal M, Tubbs R. Popes convict dead Pope Twice! The unbelievable Cadaver Synod. Clin Anat. 2016;29:140-3 pubmed publisher..Pope Formosus joins other notable historical figures such as St. Thomas Becket and John Wycliffe who were tried and punished after death. ..
- Lesac A. [Friar Ambroz Testen: Friar's visions turned to paintings]. Acta Med Hist Adriat. 2011;9:327-40 pubmed..This article describes the use of psychodynamic analysis to interpret Fra Testen's paintings. ..
- Pawlikowski J, Sak J, Marczewski K. [Polish physicians'opinions concerning morally controversial medical practices]. Wiad Lek. 2012;65:90-6 pubmed..Physician-patient relationship's models should take into account physicians'cultural beliefs and not only the cultural beliefs of the patients. ..
- Nugent J. The sword and the prayerbook: ideals of authentic Irish manliness. Vic Stud. 2008;50:587-613 pubmed..By folding the mystical rhetoric of Catholicism into the search for national identity, the League altered the course of Irish nationalism and inflected the ..
- Hubbert A. A partnership of a Catholic faith-based health system, nursing and traditional American Indian medicine practitioners. Contemp Nurse. 2008;28:64-72 pubmed..Examples of actual nursing decisions and actions are provided including outcomes from the program within the healthcare system and globally. ..
- Rodríguez Sala M. [Convent of "Nuestra Señora de la Concepción": Medical-surgical care for the female population]. Cir Cir. 2007;75:507-13 pubmed..The number of surgeons serving in this monastery were all those that we were able to find. ..
- Trocchio J. The tradition of responding to elders continues today. Health Prog. 2008;89:6 pubmed
- McHugh T. Expanding women's rural medical work in early modern Brittany: the Daughters of the Holy Spirit. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2012;67:428-56 pubmed publisher..This article argues that the medical knowledge and expertise of these sisters from the nursing orders were highly valued by the elites of early modern Brittany. ..
- Coleman G. Direct and indirect abortion in the Roman Catholic tradition: a review of the Phoenix case. HEC Forum. 2013;25:127-43 pubmed publisher..In addition, the importance of a breakdown in communication between the local bishop and the administration of the hospital is shown to have contributed to the ultimate loss of Catholic sponsorship of the hospital. ..
- Polednik B. Particle exposure in a baroque church during Sunday Masses. Environ Res. 2013;126:215-20 pubmed publisher..The exposure to particles experienced by the churchgoers, especially priests and church workers who participated in several Masses on that day, was considerably higher than the exposure experienced at the same time outdoors. ..
- Hennigan M. Catholic Relief Services provides health and hope in the developing world. Md Med. 2007;8:10, 12 pubmed
- Sawchuk L, Tripp L, Melnychenko U. The Jewish advantage and household security: life expectancy among 19th Century Sephardim of Gibraltar. Econ Hum Biol. 2013;11:360-70 pubmed publisher..This suggests that a positive amplification effect arose from their co-residence with the Jews. ..
- Casey M, O BRIEN R, Rendell M, Salzman T. Ethical dilemma of mandated contraception in pharmaceutical research at catholic medical institutions. Am J Bioeth. 2012;12:34-7 pubmed publisher..At the same time, our proposal respects the interests of pharmaceutical research agencies and Catholic moral precepts, and fully abides by regulatory guidance. ..
- Cohen M. An old god awakens, briefly. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2009;37:35-43 pubmed publisher..The interaction suggests that, although one's god representation may undergo maturation, old relationships with divinity may not be completely suppressed. ..