medical reference books
Summary: Books in the field of medicine intended primarily for consultation.
- Jackson M. Asthma, illness, and identity. Lancet. 2008;372:1030-1 pubmed
- Coumou H, Meijman F. How do primary care physicians seek answers to clinical questions? A literature review. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:55-60 pubmed..Primary care physicians have several options for finding quick answers: building a question-and-answer database, consulting filtered information sources, or using an intermediary such as a clinical librarian. ..
- Tillman K, Burton B, Jacques L, Phurrough S. Compendia and anticancer therapy under Medicare. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150:348-50 pubmed
- Due S. Australian medical pioneers index. J Med Biogr. 2004;12:121 pubmed
- Corsi A. Books for free? How can this be? - A PubMed resource you may be overlooking. Biol Cell. 2006;98:439-43 pubmed..This article includes a representative list of the resources currently available on the Bookshelf, as well as instructions on how to access the information in these resources. ..
- Keplar K, Urbanski C. Personal digital assistant applications for the healthcare provider. Ann Pharmacother. 2003;37:287-96 pubmed..To avoid the benefits of this technology might be a step backward. ..
- Lee C, Hur D, Roh H, Rha K, Jin H, Rhee C, et al. Survival rates of sinonasal squamous cell carcinoma with the new AJCC staging system. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;133:131-4 pubmed..The new AJCC staging system seems to be more accurate in predicting the survival rates for patients with advanced but surgically resectable sinonasal squamous cell carcinoma (stage IVA). ..
- Madineh S. Avicenna's Canon of Medicine and Modern Urology. Part III: other bladder diseases. Urol J. 2009;6:138-44 pubmed..His approach to diagnoses complies with the modern methodology, and even in some interventions such as routes of drug administration and catheterization, his points are astonishing. ..
- Sarrafzadeh A, Sarafian N, von Gladiss A, Unterberg A, Lanksch W. Ibn Sina (Avicenna). Historical note. Neurosurg Focus. 2001;11:E5 pubmed..In this article the authors present a unique picture of the neurosurgical technique of Ibn Sina and briefly summarize his life and work. ..
- Riha O. [Theory and practice in medieval surgery]. Medizinhist J. 2006;41:137-55 pubmed..Thus, this article may be read as a contribution to the current discussion in the history of mentalities and in cultural studies. ..
- Balint G, Kullmann L. [Rehabilitation and balneotherapy, wellness--2004]. Orv Hetil. 2006;147:1521-2 pubmed
- Madineh S. Avicenna's Canon of Medicine and Modern Urology: part I: bladder and its diseases. Urol J. 2008;5:284-93 pubmed..His methodology is completely scientific, based on experiments and truly a basis of the modern medicine. This article is a review of Avicenna's views in medicine and their comparison with the modern urology. ..
- Burkhart C. The diminishing value of the Physicians' Desk Reference and drug package inserts as a medical and legal standard of medical usage of pharmaceutical drugs. J Drugs Dermatol. 2005;4:414-5 pubmed
- Shpilko I. Locating grey literature on communication disorders. Med Ref Serv Q. 2005;24:67-80 pubmed..Conclusions presented in this article are considered complementary to traditionally published information resources on communication disorders, such as scholarly journals, online databases, etc. ..
- Vince J, Mokela D. Thirty years of the Paediatric Standard Treatment Book. P N G Med J. 2006;49:147-55 pubmed
- Evans G. Some dusty old books. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;115:651-3 pubmed
- Smith R. Books@Ovid: a product review. Med Ref Serv Q. 2001;20:27-38 pubmed..How this product competes with its counterparts in print is also treated in the discussion. ..
- Kelly B. Inaccessibility of online PDR to pharmacists. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2005;62:355 pubmed
- Gillick M. Controlling off-label medication use. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150:344-7 pubmed..The CMS would pay only for off-label uses for which there is adequate evidence in its National Coverage Determination process. Other insurance companies would probably adopt the recommendations of CMS. ..
- Martins A. ["Let's raise your child": puericulture doctors and maternal pedagogy in the twentieth century]. Hist Cienc Saude Manguinhos. 2008;15:135-54 pubmed
- Lin D, Zhou C, Lai X, Yang S. [Research and analysis of data source--analysis of the items of medical plants in Xiandai Bencao Gangmu]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2008;33:2094-6 pubmed
- Gorman P. Information needs in primary care: a survey of rural and nonrural primary care physicians. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2001;84:338-42 pubmed..Rural physicians reported less access to some information resources, but little difference in use of resources. Further studies are needed to determine how these differences impact rural practitioners and their patients. ..
- Wagner T, Hibbard J. Who uses self-care books, advice nurses, and computers for health information?. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2001;17:590-600 pubmed..intervention, this study explored access, health, and demographic factors related to the use of medical reference books, telephone advice nurses, and computers for health information...
- Qian C. [Distinguishing some falsifications in Fuqingzhunuke (Fu Qingzhu's Obstetrics and Gynecology)]. Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi. 2009;39:232-40 pubmed..Distinguishing the fake and genuine of Fuqingzhunuke necessitates making a comparative study of the style of writing through other works of FU Shan to arrive at a reliable conclusion. ..
- Shields K, McQueen C, Bryant P. National survey of dietary supplement resources at drug information centers. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2004;44:36-40 pubmed
- Abernethy A, Raman G, Balk E, Hammond J, Orlando L, Wheeler J, et al. Systematic review: reliability of compendia methods for off-label oncology indications. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150:336-43 pubmed..Current compendia lack transparency, cite little current evidence, and lack systematic methods to review or update evidence. ..
- Mallows J, Chan B, Graudins A. Quality of poisoning management advice in the Monthly Index of Medical Specialties Annual. Emerg Med Australas. 2005;17:511-9 pubmed..It contains a number of significant inaccuracies pertaining to management of poisonings and should not be used as a primary reference for poisoning advice. ..
- Joosse N. ['The spirit has left the bottle': the medieval Arabic physician 'Abd al-Lat?f ibn Y?suf al-Baghd?d?: his medical work and his bizarre affiliation with twentieth-century spiritualism]. Gewina. 2007;30:211-29 pubmed..He became known as Abduhl Latif the great Persian physician and acted as a control of mediums. Until the late sixties, he practised the art of healing as the head of a medical mission somewhere in the Spheres. ..
- Geist M. Dangerous copyright proposals hit medical community hard. CMAJ. 2005;172:989-90 pubmed
- Lepicard E. An alternative to the cosmic and mechanic metaphors for the human body? The house illustration in Ma'aseh Tuviyah (1708). Med Hist. 2008;52:93-105 pubmed
- de Micheli A, Izaguirre Avila R. [On Mexican medicinal plants]. Arch Cardiol Mex. 2009;79 Suppl 2:95-101 pubmed..Mexican botanical-pharmacological tradition remains alive and vigorous in the modern scientific institutes of the country. ..
- Cooke M. Getting back in rhythm. Emerg Nurse. 2007;15:5 pubmed
- Sackett D, Straus S. Finding and applying evidence during clinical rounds: the "evidence cart". JAMA. 1998;280:1336-8 pubmed..Making evidence quickly available to clinicians on a busy medical inpatient service using an evidence cart increased the extent to which evidence was sought and incorporated into patient care decisions. ..
- Ring M. The first medical book in Yiddish: its dental writings. Alpha Omegan. 2003;96:25-9 pubmed
- Lesende I. [Care of the elderly in primary care. Need for training]. Aten Primaria. 2004;33:415-6 pubmed
- Porter J, Lopez T. Maximum intravenous morphine push rate: discrepancies between the primary and tertiary literature. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2005;19:67-8 pubmed
- Subhose V, Srinivas P, Narayana A. Biography of M?dhavakara: his scholarly contribution. Bull Indian Inst Hist Med Hyderabad. 2005;35:113-30 pubmed..The work is translated into English, Italian, Hindi, Bengali, Telugu etc., including some regional languages of India. ..
- Maiga A, Diallo D, Fane S, Sanogo R, Paulsen B, Cisse B. A survey of toxic plants on the market in the district of Bamako, Mali: traditional knowledge compared with a literature search of modern pharmacology and toxicology. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;96:183-93 pubmed..The information includes the botanical name, literature survey on the pharmacology of the plants, the healers' knowledge on plant toxicity and its prevention by some of the healers...
- Snyder R, Green J. A review of the genotoxicity of marketed pharmaceuticals. Mutat Res. 2001;488:151-69 pubmed..Statistical analyses suggested that no combination of gene-tox assays provided a higher predictivity of rodent carcinogenesis than the bacterial mutagenicity test itself. ..
- Madge B. Elizabeth Blackwell--the forgotten herbalist?. Health Info Libr J. 2001;18:144-52 pubmed
- Brockmann C. ["Great was the name of Galen". The physician's self-portrayal in his works]. Medizinhist J. 2009;44:109-29 pubmed
- Check J. The diagnosis and treatment of infertility. One person's philosophic approach. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2006;33:69-70 pubmed..Only areas where the author is most experienced will be discussed. The author promises a non-conventional approach which will lead to lots of controversy. ..
- Bernier J. [Medical libraries in Quebec of the 18th and 19th centuries: the example of tuberculosis]. Can Bull Med Hist. 2006;23:331-54 pubmed..quot; After 1815, there was a broader diversity of opinions. The books on phthisis most widely consulted from 1700 to 1868 are almost completely unknown today. ..
- Smith C. Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802). J Med Biogr. 2005;13:1 pubmed
- Ring M. Dental writings in a medical self-help book of 1650. J Hist Dent. 2004;52:125-9 pubmed..We derive an interesting picture of what dental treatment was like in the mid-seventeenth century. ..
- Young R. Howard Atwood Kelly, Elizabeth Hurdon, and their great work: "The vermiform appendix and its diseases". Semin Diagn Pathol. 2004;21:77-85 pubmed
- Goldstein N. Sir William Osler. Hawaii Med J. 2004;63:200 pubmed
- Weinfeld J, Finkelstein K. How to answer your clinical questions more efficiently. Fam Pract Manag. 2005;12:37-41 pubmed
- Abarca J, Malone D, Armstrong E, Grizzle A, Hansten P, Van Bergen R, et al. Concordance of severity ratings provided in four drug interaction compendia. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2004;44:136-41 pubmed..A concerted effort to identify DDIs of the highest clinical importance is needed to design effective strategies to avoid and manage them. ..
- van der Weide M, Smits J. Adoption of innovations by specialised nurses: personal, work and organisational characteristics. Health Policy. 2004;68:81-92 pubmed..In addition, the degree of innovativeness of the atmosphere at the department and the relevance of the innovation for nursing practice are important factors influencing the success or failure of innovations in nursing practice. ..
- MacCall S. Online medical books: their availability and an assessment of how health sciences libraries provide access on their public Websites. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:75-80 pubmed
- Gurunluoglu R, Gurunluoglu A. Paulus Aegineta, a seventh century encyclopedist and surgeon: his role in the history of plastic surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001;108:2072-9 pubmed