Genomes and Genes
Summary: A group of QUINOLONES with at least one fluorine atom and a piperazinyl group.
- Maruri F, Sterling T, Kaiga A, Blackman A, van der Heijden Y, Mayer C, et al. A systematic review of gyrase mutations associated with fluoroquinolone-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis and a proposed gyrase numbering system. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:819-31 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis isolates had mutations in DNA gyrase, but a substantial proportion did not. The proposed consensus numbering system can improve molecular detection of resistance and identification of novel mutations. ..
- Miotto P, Cabibbe A, Mantegani P, Borroni E, Fattorini L, Tortoli E, et al. GenoType MTBDRsl performance on clinical samples with diverse genetic background. Eur Respir J. 2012;40:690-8 pubmed publisher..The performances of the MTBDRsl in detecting resistance to fluoroquinolones (FQ), second-line injectable drugs (SLID), and ethambutol (EMB) on clinical isolates were similar (..
- Horvath A, Dobay O, Kardos S, Ghidán A, Toth A, Pászti J, et al. Varying fitness cost associated with resistance to fluoroquinolones governs clonal dynamic of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012;31:2029-36 pubmed publisher..The Ser80???Phe mutation in the grlA gene may have seriously compromised viability. Surprisingly silent nucleotide substitutions in the grlB gene seemed to impact fitness in derivatives of the ST30-MRSA-IV isolate. ..
- Sung L, Manji A, Beyene J, Dupuis L, Alexander S, Phillips R, et al. Fluoroquinolones in children with fever and neutropenia: a systematic review of prospective trials. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012;31:431-5 pubmed publisherThere has been reluctance to use fluoroquinolones in children because of arthropathy in animal models; experience in pediatric fever and neutropenia (FN) has been limited...
- Wang L, Yuanshu Z, Yuhan Z, Yaojie -, Yingxia L. Mutant prevention concentrations of fluoroquinolones against Campylobacter jejuni isolated from chicken. Vet Microbiol. 2010;144:409-14 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the development and mechanisms of FQ resistance in Campylobacter. ..
- Ferjani S, Saidani M, Ennigrou S, Hsairi M, Ben Redjeb S. Virulence determinants, phylogenetic groups and fluoroquinolone resistance in Escherichia coli isolated from cystitis and pyelonephritis. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2012;60:270-4 pubmed publisherThe aim of this study is to assess the relation between virulence genotype, phylogenetic group and susceptibility to fluoroquinolones and the urinary tract infection type including pyelonephritis and cystitis due to Escherichia coli.
- Vallet C, Marquez B, Ngabirano E, Lemaire S, Mingeot Leclercq M, Tulkens P, et al. Cellular accumulation of fluoroquinolones is not predictive of their intracellular activity: studies with gemifloxacin, moxifloxacin and ciprofloxacin in a pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic model of uninfected and infected macrophages. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2011;38:249-56 pubmed publisherb>Fluoroquinolones enter eukaryotic cells but the correlation between cellular accumulation and activity remains poorly established. Gemifloxacin is known to accumulate to a larger extent than most other fluoroquinolones in tissues...
- Kontsevaya I, Mironova S, Nikolayevskyy V, Balabanova Y, Mitchell S, Drobniewski F. Evaluation of two molecular assays for rapid detection of mycobacterium tuberculosis resistance to fluoroquinolones in high-tuberculosis and -multidrug-resistance Settings. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:2832-7 pubmed publisher..Rapid diagnosis of resistance to fluoroquinolones (FQs) using molecular assays is essential for the implementation of appropriate drug regimens and prevention ..
- Costa S, Falcão C, Viveiros M, Machado D, Martins M, Melo Cristino J, et al. Exploring the contribution of efflux on the resistance to fluoroquinolones in clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus. BMC Microbiol. 2011;11:241 pubmed publisher..a hospital in Lisbon, Portugal, in order to understand the role played by these systems in the resistance to fluoroquinolones. Augmented efflux activity was detected in 12 out of 52 isolates and correlated with increased resistance to ..
- Hu Y, Mathema B, Wang W, Kreiswirth B, Jiang W, Xu B. Population-based investigation of fluoroquinolones resistant tuberculosis in rural eastern China. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011;91:238-43 pubmed publisherEmpirical use of fluoroquinolones (FQ) to treat a variety of bacterial infections may inadvertently select for FQ-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis(MTB), especially in rural China where the use of FQ in treating infections ..
- Lemaire S, Tulkens P, Van Bambeke F. Contrasting effects of acidic pH on the extracellular and intracellular activities of the anti-gram-positive fluoroquinolones moxifloxacin and delafloxacin against Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:649-58 pubmed publisherIn contrast to currently marketed fluoroquinolones, which are zwitterionic, delafloxacin is an investigational fluoroquinolone with an anionic character that is highly active against Gram-positive bacteria...
- Wispelwey B, Schafer K. Fluoroquinolones in the management of community-acquired pneumonia in primary care. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2010;8:1259-71 pubmed publisher..search was conducted to evaluate the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profile of the respiratory fluoroquinolones (gemifloxacin, levofloxacin and moxifloxacin) and their efficacy and safety in the management of community-..
- El Garch F, Lismond A, Piddock L, Courvalin P, Tulkens P, Van Bambeke F. Fluoroquinolones induce the expression of patA and patB, which encode ABC efflux pumps in Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010;65:2076-82 pubmed publisherActive efflux is a common mechanism of resistance to fluoroquinolones in Streptococcus pneumoniae...
- Yan H, Wang H, Qin X, Liu B, Du J. Ultrasound-assisted dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction for determination of fluoroquinolones in pharmaceutical wastewater. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2011;54:53-7 pubmed publisher..coupled with liquid chromatography-ultraviolet detection (LC-UV) was developed for the determination of four fluoroquinolones (ofloxacin, norfloxacin, enrofloxacin, and lomefloxacin) in pharmaceutical wastewater samples...
- Disratthakit A, Doi N. In vitro activities of DC-159a, a novel fluoroquinolone, against Mycobacterium species. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:2684-6 pubmed publisher..The anti-tubercle bacilli activity of DC-159a was 4- to 32-fold more potent than those of currently available quinolones. DC-159a also demonstrated the highest activities against clinically important nontuberculous mycobacteria. ..
- Caminero J, Sotgiu G, Zumla A, Migliori G. Best drug treatment for multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10:621-9 pubmed publisher..The second group is the fluoroquinolones, of which the first choice is high-dose levofloxacin...
- Boulund F, Johnning A, Pereira M, Larsson D, Kristiansson E. A novel method to discover fluoroquinolone antibiotic resistance (qnr) genes in fragmented nucleotide sequences. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:695 pubmed publisher..An implementation of the method is freely available at http://bioinformatics.math.chalmers.se/qnr/. ..
- Lau R, Ho P, Kao R, Yew W, Lau T, Cheng V, et al. Molecular characterization of fluoroquinolone resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: functional analysis of gyrA mutation at position 74. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:608-14 pubmed publisher..effect of the Ala74Ser mutant was verified through the study of the DNA supercoiling inhibitory activity of fluoroquinolones against the recombinant gyrase...
- Etminan M, Forooghian F, Brophy J, Bird S, Maberley D. Oral fluoroquinolones and the risk of retinal detachment. JAMA. 2012;307:1414-9 pubmed publisherb>Fluoroquinolones are commonly prescribed classes of antibiotics. Despite numerous case reports of ocular toxicity, a pharmacoepidemiological study of their ocular safety, particularly retinal detachment, has not been performed...