Summary: Conceptual system developed by Freud and his followers in which unconscious motivations are considered to shape normal and abnormal personality development and behavior.
- Joksimovic L, Wöller W, Kunzke D. [Basic thoughts on psychopharmacological interventions through psychotherapy of severe forms of post-traumatic stress disorder: a case study]. Z Psychosom Med Psychother. 2013;59:378-84 pubmed..Using a case study, we discuss problems in this field against the background of psychodynamic and psychotraumatological theories. We also present strategies for the appropriate use of psychotropic drugs in the psychotherapy of PTSD. ..
- Németh N. [Neuropsychoanalysis: the science of the unconscious in the 21st century: definition and scientific roots]. Psychiatr Hung. 2011;26:290-310 pubmed
- Lilliengen P, Werbart A. Therapists' view of therapeutic action in psychoanalytic psychotherapy with young adults. Psychotherapy (Chic). 2010;47:570-85 pubmed publisher..Implications for practice and further research are suggested. ..
- Taubner S, Hasper F, Wahl K. [Xenophobia and experienced abandonment--a depth-hermeneutic analysis of a single case]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2013;62:758-77 pubmed
- Elisei S, Anastasi S, Verdolini N. The continuum between Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder. Psychiatr Danub. 2012;24 Suppl 1:S143-6 pubmed..However, better diagnostic theories, psychiatrist's empathy and patience remain the essential tool to understand and to face human suffering. ..
- Castillo Mendoza C. Mutuality: clinical and metapsychological potentials of a failed experiment. Am J Psychoanal. 2012;72:16-32 pubmed publisher..Incidences of rupture, distortion of the core of mutuality in the psychic life, its loss and disadjustment, by means of external traumatizing forces, and some clinical implications are described. ..
- Dardenne P. A time to experience and a time to narrate. J Physiol Paris. 2011;105:149-52 pubmed publisher..Great authors, such as Balzac and Proust thought that their work contributed to scientific psychology. Their legacy in this field appears important to take into account. ..
- Diederichs Paeschke V, Forkel C, Held U, Jaletzke C, Stafski B, Bilke Hentsch O. [Psychoanalytic initial interview and OPD-CA interview--no balancing act!]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2011;60:4-26 pubmed..They are balanced with scenic points of view. Possible difficulties and suggestions for the practical handling are discussed on the basis of a case vignette. ..
- Subic Wrana C, Greenberg L, Lane R, Michal M, Wiltink J, Beutel M. Affective Change in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: Theoretical Models and Clinical Approaches to Changing Emotions. Z Psychosom Med Psychother. 2016;62:207-23 pubmed publisher..Emotional memories need to be activated in order to be modified, therefore, we propose to include techniques into psychodynamic therapy that stimulate emotional experience. ..
- Vollmer Filho G, Pires A. Benign and disruptive disturbances of the supervisory field. Int J Psychoanal. 2010;91:895-913 pubmed publisher..We illustrate both disturbances using supervisory material. Our purpose is to show how to detect these disturbances, understand them, and manage them. ..
- Dendy E. Inherent contradictions in the ego ideal. Psychoanal Q. 2010;79:991-1023 pubmed..A section on romantic love points to a second contradiction within the ego ideal, beyond its contradictory content: a contradiction of aim. ..
- van de Ven N, Zeelenberg M, Pieters R. Why envy outperforms admiration. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2011;37:784-95 pubmed publisher..Implications of these findings for theories of social emotions such as envy, social comparisons, and for understanding the influence of role models are discussed. ..
- Froján Parga M, Calero Elvira A, Montaño Fidalgo M. Study of the Socratic method during cognitive restructuring. Clin Psychol Psychother. 2011;18:110-23 pubmed publisher..We discuss the long-term potential clinical benefits of the current proposal.? ..
- Neuman Y. Empathy: from mind reading to the reading of a distant text. Integr Psychol Behav Sci. 2010;44:235-44 pubmed publisher..The paper concludes by pointing to the danger of empathy as a hidden form of projective identification that provides the reader with a false sense of control rather than with negative capability for otherness. ..
- Miller B. Expressions of homosexuality and the perspective of analytical psychology. J Anal Psychol. 2010;55:112-24; discussion 125-9 pubmed publisher..Categories of 'sexual orientation' may defend against personal analysis, deflecting the essential fluidity and mystery of Eros. This is illustrated with samples of the variety found in 'homosexual' material. ..
- ..His influence on post-Freudian ego-psychology is finally being acknowledged as are his ideas about creativity, will, life-fear and death-fear, guilt, and ethics. ..
- Naziri D, Feld Elzon E. Becoming a mother by "AID" within a lesbian couple: the issue of the third. Psychoanal Q. 2012;81:683-711 pubmed..The complexity of the issue of the third in same-sex parenting is highlighted. Excerpts from clinical interviews with two lesbian couples are used to illustrate and support the authors' hypotheses. ..
- Mechelli A. Psychoanalysis on the couch: can neuroscience provide the answers?. Med Hypotheses. 2010;75:594-9 pubmed publisher..However, it is important that any intellectual exchange is not motivated only by declining confidence in psychoanalytic theory and practice or awareness of the rising fortunes of the brain sciences...
- Vijselaar J, Abma R. [Psychiatry in multiplicity]. Studium (Rotterdam). 2010;3:79-81 pubmed..As a result a further qualification of the image of the pendulum is argued for. ..
- Pine F. Beyond pluralism: psychoanalysis and the workings of mind. Psychoanal Q. 2011;80:823-56 pubmed..Additionally, substantial integrative proposals are offered with respect to the central tasks of individual development, theories of mind, the relational turn, and aspects of technique. ..
- De Bont R. Schizophrenia, evolution and the borders of biology: on Huxley et al.'s 1964 paper in Nature. Hist Psychiatry. 2010;21:144-59 pubmed..As such, the Huxley et al. paper can be used to study the central issues of psychiatry in a pivotal era of its history. ..
- Billow R. Developing the nuclear idea: concept, technique, and process. Int J Group Psychother. 2013;63:544-70 pubmed publisher..Clinical vignettes illustrate how the therapist may develop nuclear ideas thematically, conceptualize further, and negotiate meaning with the co-participation of other group members. ..
- Donate Bartfield E, Spellecy R, Shane N. Maximizing beneficence and autonomy. Ethical support for the use of nonpharmacological methods for managing dental anxiety. J Am Coll Dent. 2010;77:26-34 pubmed
- Gilman S. Seeing bodies in pain: from Hippocrates to Freud. Int J Psychoanal. 2011;92:661-74 pubmed publisher..That the problem was also central to one of the early 20th century thinkers most indebted to Darwin, Sigmund Freud, is less well known and how he resolved this paradox of self-reporting versus seeing seems to have been overlooked. ..
- Chessick R. The rise and fall of the autochthonous self: from Italian Renaissance art and Shakespeare to Heidegger, Lacan, and intersubjectivism. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2010;38:625-53 pubmed publisher..The author contends that this attitude makes it less likely for the psychoanalyst to focus on the regressive transferences from which derivatives of the private self arise and to grasp the phenomenological whole of the patient. ..
- Greenberg J. Action, agency, and empathy: Schafer on the analyst's dilemma. Psychoanal Q. 2013;82:63-76 pubmed publisher..In this paper, the author highlights Schafer's focus on activity, notes some clinical problems to which it can give rise, and suggests the way that Schafer has attempted to deal with these difficulties. ..
- Silke W, Möller B. [The transgenerational transmission of traumatic experiences of the Second World War over three generations--a psychoanalytical perspective]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2012;61:610-22 pubmed
- Kalisch K. [Mentalisation and affect regulation--how the infantile self develops]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2012;61:336-47 pubmed..The text is based above all on Martin Dornes' approaches on this topic (2004, 2006). ..
- Bacciagaluppi M. The study of psychic trauma. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2011;39:525-38 pubmed publisher..The most recent advances are located in neurobiology. The discussion makes a preliminary investigation of the remote causes of war and sexual violence. ..
- Abramson R. Psychotherapy of psychoses: some principles for practice in the real world. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2010;38:483-502 pubmed publisher..These principles are easy to keep in mind and are compatible with cognitive and behavioral techniques as well as other psychoanalytic theories and approaches. ..
- Malancharuvil J. Empathy deficit in antisocial personality disorder: a psychodynamic formulation. Am J Psychoanal. 2012;72:242-50 pubmed publisher..The author discusses some of the treatment implications from this dynamic formulation. ..
- MacDuffie K, Mashour G. Dreams and the temporality of consciousness. Am J Psychol. 2010;123:189-97 pubmed..We argue that disparate dream theories may not be mutually exclusive but rather relate to different temporal domains of the dream state. ..
- ..The authors suggest that the two-system model allows for the reintegration of defense into a multidimensional psychoanalytic theory and multimodal therapeutic technique.
- Gostecnik C, Repic T, Cvetek M, Cvetek R. The salvational process in relationships: A view from projective-introjective identification and repetition compulsion. J Relig Health. 2009;48:496-506 pubmed publisher..Some basic biblical theological concepts are applied. These provide the basis for integrating the psychological and theological domains of family systems. ..
- Skogstad W. Impervious and intrusive: the impenetrable object in transference and countertransference. Int J Psychoanal. 2013;94:221-38 pubmed publisher..He gives clinical material that demonstrates such work by the analyst and illustrates the shift from an impenetrable object to a more permeable one in the patient's internal world. ..
- Fischbein S. The use of dreams in the clinical context: convergencies and divergencies: an interdisciplinary proposal. Int J Psychoanal. 2011;92:333-58 pubmed publisher..To do so, it combines certain lines of psychoanalytic thought with ideas coming from C. S. Peirce's analytic semiotics. Clinical material is included to illustrate this viewpoint. ..
- Weinstein L, Winer J, Ornstein E. Supervision and self-disclosure: modes of supervisory interaction. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2009;57:1379-400 pubmed publisher..To illustrate these ideas, a supervisory hour that dealt with the issue of self-disclosure is presented. A nonjudgmental awareness of the various modes of supervisory interaction enriches the supervisory process. ..
- Namer A. Some thoughts on the diffusion of psychoanalysis: the group dimension, ethics and the sense of identity. Int J Psychoanal. 2011;92:1603-16 pubmed publisher..This is sometimes due to the absence of a common object, formed within and by the group, and to the emergence of manic defences in the group. ..
- Self L, Shevell M. More than Freud: Clark University's Child Welfare Conference--1909. J Child Neurol. 2012;27:540-3 pubmed publisher..were a seminal event in intellectual history most remembered for the lectures given by Freud on psychoanalytic theory and practice...
- ..We think that each of these poles should have their own investigation field and their specific methods. We defend the idea that creating subjects such as neuropsychoanalysis is an illusion. ..
- ..Schafer prefers continuing explorations over arriving at conclusions, the author notes, and believes that students should remain faithful to their mentors' thinking-until it is time for them to move beyond it. ..
- Hayakawa N, Koide T, Okada T, Murase S, Aleksic B, Furumura K, et al. The postpartum depressive state in relation to perceived rearing: a prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50220 pubmed publisher..28, p = 0.013). The present study suggests that perceived rearing is not a strong risk factor for postpartum depression as measured by the EPDS. Furthermore, the results indicated the state dependency of the PBI maternal care score. ..
- Palagini L, Rosenlicht N. Sleep, dreaming, and mental health: a review of historical and neurobiological perspectives. Sleep Med Rev. 2011;15:179-86 pubmed publisher..and only later did dream theory become linked with the functioning of the brain, perhaps most famously in psychoanalytic theory. The development of sleep laboratory techniques ushered in a new era of the dream study and their ..
- Appelbaum D. On learning to inquire: Revisiting the detailed inquiry. Am J Psychoanal. 2010;70:78-85 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Interpersonal approaches that make free use of inquiry are discussed in light of the author's clinical experience that learning to inquire contributed to a more finely tuned awareness of the analytic process. ..
- Vermorel H. The presence of Spinoza in the exchanges between Sigmund Freud and Romain Rolland. Int J Psychoanal. 2009;90:1235-54 pubmed publisher..In the light of this correspondence, the creation of psychoanalysis turns out to be a quest for the sacred that has disappeared in modernity; Freud, though, was able to find it inside man's unconscious. ..
- Danto E. "The environment as a cause of disease in children": Josef Friedjung's transnational influence on modern child welfare theory. Child Welfare. 2013;92:159-79 pubmed..In many ways, child welfare as we know it emerged as a practical implementation of that ideology. ..