Genomes and Genes
physiological pattern recognition
Summary: The analysis of a critical number of sensory stimuli or facts (the pattern) by physiological processes such as vision (PATTERN RECOGNITION, VISUAL), touch, or hearing.
- Shi L, Law Y. Masking effects of speech and music: does the masker's hierarchical structure matter?. Int J Audiol. 2010;49:296-308 pubmed publisher..This effect seemed to lend support to the auditory stream segregation theory. ..
- Chen J, Penhune V, Zatorre R. Moving on time: brain network for auditory-motor synchronization is modulated by rhythm complexity and musical training. J Cogn Neurosci. 2008;20:226-39 pubmed publisher..We argue that the superior ability of musicians to deconstruct and organize a rhythm's temporal structure relates to the greater involvement of the prefrontal cortex mediating working memory. ..
- Mei L, Chen C, Xue G, He Q, Li T, Xue F, et al. Neural predictors of auditory word learning. Neuroreport. 2008;19:215-9 pubmed publisher..These results confirmed the hypothesis that preexisting individual differences in neural activities can predict the efficiency in learning words in a new language. ..
- Auvray M, Gallace A, Tan H, Spence C. Crossmodal change blindness between vision and touch. Acta Psychol (Amst). 2007;126:79-97 pubmed..These results suggest that certain of the processes underlying change blindness are multisensory in nature. We discuss these findings in relation to recent claims regarding the crossmodal nature of spatial attention. ..
- Poirier C, De Volder A, Tranduy D, Scheiber C. Pattern recognition using a device substituting audition for vision in blindfolded sighted subjects. Neuropsychologia. 2007;45:1108-21 pubmed..These results suggest that visual imagery processes could be involved in pattern recognition and that perception through the substitution device could be visual-like. ..
- Koniaris C, Kuropatwinski M, Kleijn W. Auditory-model based robust feature selection for speech recognition. J Acoust Soc Am. 2010;127:EL73-9 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that selecting MFCCs in their natural order results in subsets with good performance. ..
- Honing H. Evidence for tempo-specific timing in music using a web-based experimental setup. J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform. 2006;32:780-6 pubmed
- Schvartz K, Chatterjee M, Gordon Salant S. Recognition of spectrally degraded phonemes by younger, middle-aged, and older normal-hearing listeners. J Acoust Soc Am. 2008;124:3972-88 pubmed publisher..Such findings have important implications for the counseling and rehabilitation of adult CI recipients. ..
- Field S, Rickard N, Toukhsati S, Gibbs M. Maternal hen calls modulate memory formation in the day-old chick: the role of noradrenaline. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2007;88:321-30 pubmed..The current data suggest that call meaning and rhythmicity interact to yield the appropriate levels of beta(2)-adrenergic activation required to facilitate retention for a discriminative task. ..
- McHugh T, Jones M, Quinn J, Balthasar N, Coppari R, Elmquist J, et al. Dentate gyrus NMDA receptors mediate rapid pattern separation in the hippocampal network. Science. 2007;317:94-9 pubmed..These results provide evidence that NMDA receptors in the granule cells of the dentate gyrus play a crucial role in the process of pattern separation. ..
- Bhattacharya A, Zeng F. Companding to improve cochlear-implant speech recognition in speech-shaped noise. J Acoust Soc Am. 2007;122:1079-89 pubmed..While the observed results could be attributed to the enhanced spectral contrast, it is likely that the corresponding temporal changes caused by companding also played a significant role and should be addressed by future studies. ..
- Bruzzo A, Gesierich B, Wohlschläger A. Simulating biological and non-biological motion. Brain Cogn. 2008;66:145-9 pubmed
- Lazzari S, Mottet D, Vercher J. Eye-hand coordination in rhythmical pointing. J Mot Behav. 2009;41:294-304 pubmed publisher..The authors conclude that eye and hand movements in a rhythmical Fitts's task are dynamically synchronized to produce the best behavioral performance. ..
- Remenyi J, Marshall A, Enticott J, Briggs R. The prognostic value of speech recognition scores at diagnosis of vestibular schwannoma. J Clin Neurosci. 2009;16:1460-3 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that patients with PIS are more vulnerable to progressive hearing loss than those with GIS. Observation may be a suitable management option for all patients with small VS, particularly those with GIS. ..
- Friedrich M, Herold B, Friederici A. ERP correlates of processing native and non-native language word stress in infants with different language outcomes. Cortex. 2009;45:662-76 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that variability in expressive language development has precursors in infants' ERP correlates of word stress processing. ..
- Gangloff M, Gay N. Baseless assumptions: activation of TLR9 by DNA. Immunity. 2008;28:293-4 pubmed publisher..Previous studies suggested that signaling required unmethylated CpG dinucleotides, but in this issue of Immunity, Haas et al. (2008) challenge this view, showing that DNA can activate TLR9 in a sequence-independent manner. ..
- Vicario C, Martino D, Spata F, Defazio G, Giacchè R, Martino V, et al. Time processing in children with Tourette's syndrome. Brain Cogn. 2010;73:28-34 pubmed publisher..Our data also support an enhancement of cognitive control processes in TS children, probably facilitated by effortful tic suppression. ..
- Eckmiller R, Neumann D, Baruth O. Tunable retina encoders for retina implants: why and how. J Neural Eng. 2005;2:S91-S104 pubmed..For retina implant applications, RE* can be tuned to generate optimal ganglion cell codes for epiretinal stimulation. ..
- Hannon E, Johnson S. Infants use meter to categorize rhythms and melodies: implications for musical structure learning. Cogn Psychol. 2005;50:354-77 pubmed..Results indicate that infants can infer meter from rhythmic patterns, and that they may use this metrical structure to bootstrap their knowledge acquisition in music learning. ..
- Holderied M, Von Helversen O. 'Binaural echo disparity' as a potential indicator of object orientation and cue for object recognition in echolocating nectar-feeding bats. J Exp Biol. 2006;209:3457-68 pubmed..Our results suggest that the evaluation of binaural echo disparity has a greater importance for these tasks than has previously been assumed. ..
- Velázquez Perez L, Fernandez Ruiz J, Diaz R, González R, Ochoa N, Cruz G, et al. Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2 olfactory impairment shows a pattern similar to other major neurodegenerative diseases. J Neurol. 2006;253:1165-9 pubmed
- Legenstein R, Pecevski D, Maass W. A learning theory for reward-modulated spike-timing-dependent plasticity with application to biofeedback. PLoS Comput Biol. 2008;4:e1000180 pubmed publisher..In addition our model demonstrates that reward-modulated STDP can be applied to all synapses in a large recurrent neural network without endangering the stability of the network dynamics. ..
- Phillips Silver J, Trainor L. Feeling the beat: movement influences infant rhythm perception. Science. 2005;308:1430 pubmed..Visual information is not necessary for the effect, indicating that it likely reflects a strong, early-developing interaction between auditory and vestibular information in the human nervous system. ..
- Reznikova Z. [The study of tool use as the way for general estimation of cognitive abilities in animals]. Zh Obshch Biol. 2006;67:3-22 pubmed..Individuals that are predisposed to learn specific connections do this too quickly and thus become enslaved by stereotypic solutions of raising problems. ..
- Widmann A, Gruber T, Kujala T, Tervaniemi M, Schroger E. Binding symbols and sounds: evidence from event-related oscillatory gamma-band activity. Cereb Cortex. 2007;17:2696-702 pubmed..Gamma-band responses were not present for unexpected incongruent sounds. A model explaining the anticipatory activation of cortical auditory representations and the match of experience against expectation is presented. ..
- Lange K. Brain correlates of early auditory processing are attenuated by expectations for time and pitch. Brain Cogn. 2009;69:127-37 pubmed publisher..Effects of temporal expectations were also evident in a P300-like deflection, suggesting that temporal expectations also affect decision- or response-related processing stages. ..
- Fisher A, Barnes G, Hillebrand A, Holliday I, Witton C, Richards I. Abnormality of mismatch negativity in response to tone omission in dyslexic adults. Brain Res. 2006;1077:90-8 pubmed..These results cannot support the hypothesis of a prolonged time window of integration, but rather indicate auditory grouping deficits in the dyslexic population. ..
- Wilson R, Burks C, Weakley D. A comparison of word-recognition abilities assessed with digit pairs and digit triplets in multitalker babble. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2005;42:499-510 pubmed..For equal intelligibility, the listeners with hearing loss required an approximately 10 dB more favorable S/B than the listeners with normal hearing. The distributions of the 50% points for the two groups had no overlap. ..
- Pailhas Y, Capus C, Brown K, Moore P. Analysis and classification of broadband echoes using bio-inspired dolphin pulses. J Acoust Soc Am. 2010;127:3809-20 pubmed publisher..This leads to the proposal of a broadband classifier which operates by extracting the notch positions in the target echo spectra. ..
- Ihalainen J, Sarajärvi T, Kemppainen S, Keski Rahkonen P, Lehtonen M, Tanila H. A novel delayed non-match to sample object recognition task that allows simultaneous in vivo microdialysis. J Neurosci Methods. 2010;189:210-5 pubmed publisher..This novel experimental model offers a good tool to study the impact of selective lesions or pharmacological manipulation simultaneously on neurotransmitter levels and memory task performance. ..
- Elhilali M, Shamma S. A cocktail party with a cortical twist: how cortical mechanisms contribute to sound segregation. J Acoust Soc Am. 2008;124:3751-71 pubmed publisher..The implications of this model are discussed with respect to the physiological correlates of streaming in the cortex as well as the role of attention and other top-down influences in guiding sound organization. ..
- Marrone N, Mason C, Kidd G. Tuning in the spatial dimension: evidence from a masked speech identification task. J Acoust Soc Am. 2008;124:1146-58 pubmed publisher..Overall, the spatial tuning observed appears to depend on the presence of interaural differences that improve the perceptual segregation of sources and facilitate the focus of attention at a point in space. ..
- Chai X, Zhang L, Li W, Shao F, Yang K, Ren Q. Study of tactile perception based on phosphene positioning using simulated prosthetic vision. Artif Organs. 2008;32:110-5 pubmed publisher..The dispersion, the accuracy, and the response speed were better when using the visual guide. Moreover, the widely used method of using the left hand as reference and the right hand to point the phosphene may cause geographic error. ..
- Tye Murray N, Sommers M, Spehar B, Myerson J, Hale S, Rose N. Auditory-visual discourse comprehension by older and young adults in favorable and unfavorable conditions. Int J Audiol. 2008;47 Suppl 2:S31-7 pubmed publisher..When attempting to comprehend discourse, older adults may draw upon verbal and cognitive abilities that are relatively insensitive to age. ..
- He N, Mills J, Ahlstrom J, Dubno J. Age-related differences in the temporal modulation transfer function with pure-tone carriers. J Acoust Soc Am. 2008;124:3841-9 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with a general age-related decline in the synchronization of neural responses to both the carrier waveform and envelope fluctuation. ..
- Shin J, Aparicio P, Ivry R. Multidimensional sequence learning in patients with focal basal ganglia lesions. Brain Cogn. 2005;58:75-83 pubmed..Sequence learning was not correlated with maximum tapping rate, a simple measure of motor impairment. These results raise questions concerning the use of Parkinson's disease as a model for studying basal ganglia dysfunction. ..
- Shikauchi M, Ishii S, Shibata T. Prediction of aperiodic target sequences by saccades. Behav Brain Res. 2008;189:325-31 pubmed publisher..Although their performances were not optimal, learning of the AR dynamics was observed for first-order AR sequences, suggesting that the subjects attempted to predict the next target position based on partially identified AR dynamics. ..
- Mehta J, Jerger S, Jerger J, Martin J. Electrophysiological correlates of word comprehension: event-related potential (ERP) and independent component analysis (ICA). Int J Audiol. 2009;48:1-11 pubmed publisher..The morphologies of the four ICA waveforms were consistent with a parallel processing, interactive model of word recognition, and subsequent semantic categorization. ..
- D yakonova T, D Yakonova V. Modification of the effects of glutamate by nitric oxide (NO) in a pattern-generating network. Neurosci Behav Physiol. 2008;38:407-13 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that: 1) the responses of the central generator of the buccal motor rhythm to glutamate depend on the NO level, and 2) this regulatory mechanism can modify feeding behavior. ..
- Mohamed I, Cheyne D, Gaetz W, Otsubo H, Logan W, Carter Snead O, et al. Spatiotemporal patterns of oscillatory brain activity during auditory word recognition in children: a synthetic aperture magnetometry study. Int J Psychophysiol. 2008;68:141-8 pubmed publisher..As well, this demonstrates the utility of SAM analyses to detect subtle sequential task-related neural activations. ..
- Jerke S, Srinivasan A, McSorley S. Expression of Toll/IL-1R domain-containing adaptor protein (TIRAP) is detrimental to primary clearance of Salmonella and is not required for the generation of protective immunity. Immunol Lett. 2008;116:64-71 pubmed..Together these data indicate that TIRAP-mediated signaling is completely dispensable for clearance of Salmonella infection, and actually has a mild deleterious effect upon the resolution of primary infection. ..
- Caillé S, Sauerwein H, Schiavetto A, Villemure J, Lassonde M. Sensory and motor interhemispheric integration after section of different portions of the anterior corpus callosum in nonepileptic patients. Neurosurgery. 2005;57:50-9; discussion 50-9 pubmed..The specific disconnections deficits observed in this study may provide the surgeon with information regarding the consequences of anterior callosotomy and allow for remedial measures to be implemented if required. ..
- Harris K, Dubno J, Keren N, Ahlstrom J, Eckert M. Speech recognition in younger and older adults: a dependency on low-level auditory cortex. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6078-87 pubmed publisher..More broadly, the results suggest the possibility that aging may exaggerate developmental limitations on the ability to recognize speech. ..
- He C, Hotson L, Trainor L. Development of infant mismatch responses to auditory pattern changes between 2 and 4 months old. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;29:861-7 pubmed publisher..This indicates that the MMN response to a change in pattern at 4 months reflects the activation of a change-detection mechanism similarly as in adults. ..
- Rossi Katz J, Arehart K. Message and talker identification in older adults: effects of task, distinctiveness of the talkers' voices, and meaningfulness of the competing message. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2009;52:435-53 pubmed publisher..Age-related declines in multitalker environments are not solely due to lower-level deficits in perceptual organization but are also a consequence of an interaction between lower-level and higher-level processes. ..
- Variagina O, Radionova E. [Individual specificities of tested individuals in lateralisation of mobile an stationary sound images]. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol. 2004;40:441-9 pubmed
- Stich K, Winter Y. Lack of generalization of object discrimination between spatial contexts by a bat. J Exp Biol. 2006;209:4802-8 pubmed..We suggest a dissociation between 2-AFC task acquisition and novel object discrimination learning to resolve the issue. ..
- Berryhill M, Chiu T, Hughes H. Smooth pursuit of nonvisual motion. J Neurophysiol. 2006;96:461-5 pubmed..The results demonstrate high gains for visual pursuit, low gains for auditory pursuit, and intermediate, statistically indistinguishable gains for tactile, proprioceptive, and proprioceptive + tactile pursuit. ..
- Zaitseva K, Korolev V. [Time microstructure of the echo signal in mechanisms of discrimination of small size targets by dolphins Tursiops truncatus]. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol. 2005;41:364-70 pubmed
- Pitcher B, Harcourt R, Charrier I. Rapid onset of maternal vocal recognition in a colonially breeding mammal, the Australian sea lion. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12195 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration of the timing of the onset of maternal vocal recognition in a pinniped species. ..