man machine systems
Summary: A system in which the functions of the man and the machine are interrelated and necessary for the operation of the system.
- Cardin M, Wang J, Lobaugh N, Guimont I, Plewes D. A quantitative evaluation of human coordination interfaces for computer assisted surgery. Comput Aided Surg. 2007;12:71-81 pubmed..Our findings suggest that care is needed when using expensive and sometimes cumbersome virtual visualization technologies for CAS, and that simpler, non-stereo presentation may be sufficient for specific surgical tasks. ..
- Wang L, Jamieson G, Hollands J. Trust and reliance on an automated combat identification system. Hum Factors. 2009;51:281-91 pubmed..To engender appropriate reliance on CID systems, users should be made aware of system reliability. The findings can be applied to the design of information displays for individual CID systems and soldier training. ..
- Morris M, Cassanego A, Paepcke A, Winograd T, Piper A, Huang A. Mediating group dynamics through tabletop interface design. IEEE Comput Graph Appl. 2006;26:65-73 pubmed
- van der Kooij H, Veneman J, Ekkelenkamp R. Design of a compliantly actuated exo-skeleton for an impedance controlled gait trainer robot. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:189-93 pubmed..This paper describes the philosophy behind the design of LOPES, motivates the choices that have been made and gives some exemplary results of the ranges of mechanical impedances that can be achieved. ..
- Micera S, Navarro X. Bidirectional interfaces with the peripheral nervous system. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2009;86:23-38 pubmed publisher..Biological and technical issues are reviewed relative to the problems of electrode design and tissue injury. The last sections review different strategies for the use of peripheral neural interfaces in biomedical applications. ..
- Qian M, Aguilar M, Zachery K, Privitera C, Klein S, Carney T, et al. Decision-level fusion of EEG and pupil features for single-trial visual detection analysis. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2009;56:1929-37 pubmed publisher..Here, the goal is to support increased classification confidence through the inherent modality complementarities. The fusion results show significant improvement over classification performance based on a single modality. ..
- Khan A, O Sullivan L, Gallwey T. Effects of combined wrist deviation and forearm rotation on discomfort score. Ergonomics. 2009;52:345-61 pubmed publisher..Reference to these can help to reduce the risk of musculoskeletal injury associated with the tasks or tools by avoiding poor postures with unacceptable deviations from neutral posture. ..
- Shin D, Kim J, Hallbeck M, Haight J, Jung M. Ergonomic hand tool and desk and chair development process. Int J Occup Saf Ergon. 2008;14:247-52 pubmed..The case studies showed how design difficulties were overcome by integrating ergonomics guidelines in the process. ..
- Zeng Q, Teo C, Rebsamen B, Burdet E. A collaborative wheelchair system. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2008;16:161-70 pubmed publisher..The results show that path guidance drastically simplifies the control. Using the CWA, the wheelchair user needs little effort from the first trial, while moving efficiently with a conventional wheelchair requires adaptation. ..
- Velliste M, Perel S, Spalding M, Whitford A, Schwartz A. Cortical control of a prosthetic arm for self-feeding. Nature. 2008;453:1098-101 pubmed publisher..This demonstration of multi-degree-of-freedom embodied prosthetic control paves the way towards the development of dexterous prosthetic devices that could ultimately achieve arm and hand function at a near-natural level. ..
- Adams P, David G. Light vehicle fuelling errors in the UK: the nature of the problem, its consequences and prevention. Appl Ergon. 2007;38:499-511 pubmed..It is proposed that errors are best prevented by applying ergonomic principles to the design, and/or modification of filling station layout and equipment. In this way, the error pathways may be broken and successful fuelling encouraged. ..
- Boostani R, Graimann B, Moradi M, Pfurtscheller G. A comparison approach toward finding the best feature and classifier in cue-based BCI. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2007;45:403-12 pubmed..Genetic feature combination results have been compared with the simple feature combination to show the performance of the Genetic algorithm. ..
- Nguan C, Miller B, Patel R, Luke P, Schlachta C. Pre-clinical remote telesurgery trial of a da Vinci telesurgery prototype. Int J Med Robot. 2008;4:304-9 pubmed publisher..This study clearly demonstrated the feasibility of remote telesurgery using the da Vinci platform to perform a complex surgical task. ..
- Popova I, Goncharov I, Anokhina L. [Information technologies of medical data storage on the International Space Station program]. Aviakosm Ekolog Med. 2007;41:56-8 pubmed
- Micera S, Sergi P, Carpaneto J, Citi L, Bossi S, Koch K, et al. Experiments on the development and use of a new generation of intra-neural electrodes to control robotic devices. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2940-3 pubmed..Extensive experiments will be carried out in the future to validate these results. ..
- Mahmoudi B, Principe J, Sanchez J. An Actor-Critic architecture and simulator for goal-directed Brain-Machine Interfaces. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:3365-8 pubmed publisher..In this framework, the naïve decoder was able to reach targets in the presence of noise in the error signal and neural motor command with 98% accuracy. ..
- Sprigle S, Maurer C, Soneblum S, Sorenblum S. Load redistribution in variable position wheelchairs in people with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2010;33:58-64 pubmed..Recognizing that each method had clinical benefits and drawbacks, the results of this study indicate that tilt, recline, and standing systems should be considered as a means of weight shifting for wheelchair users. ..
- Galindo C, Gonzalez J, Fernández Madrigal J. Control architecture for human-robot integration: application to a robotic wheelchair. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern. 2006;36:1053-67 pubmed..In particular, several real experiences have been conducted on a robotic wheelchair aimed to provide mobility to elderly people. ..
- van Erp J, Eriksson L, Levin B, Carlander O, Veltman J, Vos W. Tactile cueing effects on performance in simulated aerial combat with high acceleration. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2007;78:1128-34 pubmed..It is expected that the added value of tactile displays may further increase after formal training and in situations of unexpected target pop-up. ..
- Pineau J, Guez A, Vincent R, Panuccio G, Avoli M. Treating epilepsy via adaptive neurostimulation: a reinforcement learning approach. Int J Neural Syst. 2009;19:227-40 pubmed..This work highlights the crucial role that modern machine learning techniques can play in the optimization of treatment strategies for patients with chronic disorders such as epilepsy. ..
- Veneman J, Kruidhof R, Hekman E, Ekkelenkamp R, Van Asseldonk E, van der Kooij H. Design and evaluation of the LOPES exoskeleton robot for interactive gait rehabilitation. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2007;15:379-86 pubmed..The possibilities and limitations to using the device as gait measurement tool are also shown at the moment position measurements are not accurate enough for inverse-dynamical gait analysis. ..
- Cherng J, Eksioglu M, Kizilaslan K. Vibration reduction of pneumatic percussive rivet tools: mechanical and ergonomic re-design approaches. Appl Ergon. 2009;40:256-66 pubmed publisher..The details of the experience learned, design modifications, test methods, mathematical models and the results are included in the paper. ..
- Menendez C, Amick B, Jenkins M, Caroom C, Robertson M, Harrist R, et al. Upper extremity pain and computer use among engineering graduate students: a replication study. Am J Ind Med. 2009;52:113-23 pubmed publisher..Am. J. Ind. Med. 52:113-123, 2009. (c) 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Vázquez López J, Sibenaller S, Ding D, Riviere C. Toward filtering of athetoid motion with neural networks. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:1434-6 pubmed..This paper presents unfiltered test data that have been collected from patients, and describes the planned filtering approach. ..
- Barer A. [The ergonomic aspects of space vehicle manual motion control during re-entry]. Aviakosm Ekolog Med. 2006;40:3-8 pubmed..The store of knowledge acquired in those studies does not lose significance for the present-day piloted space programs. ..
- Teo E, Huang A, Lian Y, Guan C, Li Y, Zhang H. Media communication center using brain computer interface. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2954-7 pubmed..Data from 5 subjects is used to obtain the false rejection rate and false acceptance rate of the BCI system. Our study shows that different mental activities show different impacts on the false acceptance performances. ..
- Gouy Pailler C, Achard S, Rivet B, Jutten C, Maby E, Souloumiac A, et al. Topographical dynamics of brain connections for the design of asynchronous brain-computer interfaces. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:2520-3 pubmed..This method is applied to an auditive steady-state evoked potentials experiment (dichotic binaural listening) and compared to a more classical method based on spectral filtering. ..
- Lee J. Review of a pivotal Human Factors article: "Humans and automation: use, misuse, disuse, abuse". Hum Factors. 2008;50:404-10 pubmed..Understanding this coevolution has important philosophical implications for the nature of human cognition and practical implications for satisfaction, performance, and safety. ..
- Mainardi E, Davalli A. Controlling a prosthetic arm with a throat microphone. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:3035-9 pubmed..The idea of controlling a prosthesis with vocal commands is quite recent but seems to be promising in helping users to better control their devices, improving the quality of their life. ..
- Darmanjian S, Cieslewski G, Morrison S, Dang B, Gugel K, Principe J. A reconfigurable neural signal processor (NSP) for brain machine interfaces. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2502-5 pubmed..Then it wirelessly transmits the predicted results to a simulated robot arm. This system has been built and successfully tested with real and simulated data. ..
- Pardowitz M, Knoop S, Dillmann R, Zöllner R. Incremental learning of tasks from user demonstrations, past experiences, and vocal comments. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern. 2007;37:322-32 pubmed..The results of the incremental growth of the task knowledge when more task demonstrations become available and their fusion with relevance information gained from speech comments is demonstrated within the task of laying a table. ..
- Yuen S, Yip M, Vasilyev N, PERRIN D, del Nido P, Howe R. Robotic force stabilization for beating heart intracardiac surgery. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2009;12:26-33 pubmed..This confers a 50% reduction in force fluctuations when compared to a standard force controller and a 75% reduction in fluctuations when compared to manual attempts to maintain the same force. ..
- Brook Carter N, Stevens A, Reed N, Thompson S. Practical issues in the application of occlusion to measure visual demands imposed on drivers by in-vehicle tasks. Ergonomics. 2009;52:177-86 pubmed publisher..Findings from the study are discussed in terms of future application of the occlusion technique to assess in-vehicle information systems (IVIS). ..
- Rivet B, Souloumiac A, Attina V, Gibert G. xDAWN algorithm to enhance evoked potentials: application to brain-computer interface. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2009;56:2035-43 pubmed publisher..Data recorded on three subjects were used to evaluate the proposed method. The results, which are presented using a Bayesian linear discriminant analysis classifier , show that the proposed method is efficient and accurate. ..
- Bagarinao E, Nakai T, Tanaka Y. Real-time functional MRI: development and emerging applications. Magn Reson Med Sci. 2006;5:157-65 pubmed..We discuss these developments and focus on methods enabling real-time analysis of fMRI data sets, novel research applications arising from these approaches, and potential use of real-time fMRI in clinical settings. ..
- Chella A. A robot architecture based on higher order perception loop. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;657:267-83 pubmed publisher..The resulting architecture based on higher order perceptions has been implemented and tested in a project regarding a robotic touristic guide acting in the Botanical Garden of the University of Palermo. ..
- Yamagishi K, Hori J, Miyakawa M. Development of EOG-based communication system controlled by eight-directional eye movements. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2574-7 pubmed..As experimental results using a projected screen keyboard, processing speed was improved to 12.1 letters/min. while the accuracy was 90.4% ..
- Citi L, Tonet O, Marinelli M. Matching brain-machine interface performance to space applications. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2009;86:199-212 pubmed publisher..Robotic arms and manipulators could be the next frontier for noninvasive BMIs. Integrating smart controllers in HBSs could improve interactivity and boost the use of BMI technology in space applications. ..
- Madhavan P, Wiegmann D. Effects of information source, pedigree, and reliability on operator interaction with decision support systems. Hum Factors. 2007;49:773-85 pubmed..The results provide a reference point for deriving indices of "optimal" user interaction with decision aids and for developing frameworks of trust in decision support systems. ..
- Patrick E, Ordonez M, Alba N, Sanchez J, Nishida T. Design and fabrication of a flexible substrate microelectrode array for brain machine interfaces. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2966-9 pubmed..The gold-plated electrode site has an impedance value of 0.9 M Omega at 1 kHz. Acute neural recording provided high neuronal yields, peak-to-peak amplitudes (as high as 100 microV), and signal-to-noise ratios (27 dB). ..
- van Wyk P, Weir P, Andrews D, Fiedler K, Callaghan J. Determining the optimal size for posture categories used in video-based posture assessment methods. Ergonomics. 2009;52:921-30 pubmed publisher..Across all conditions, the posture category sizes were comparable to those used in published ergonomic tools. ..
- Merritt S, Ilgen D. Not all trust is created equal: dispositional and history-based trust in human-automation interactions. Hum Factors. 2008;50:194-210 pubmed..Potential applications include the design of flexible automation training programs tailored to individuals who differ in systematic ways. ..
- Seo N, Armstrong T, Drinkaus P. A comparison of two methods of measuring static coefficient of friction at low normal forces: a pilot study. Ergonomics. 2009;52:121-35 pubmed publisher..The tilt method described in this study can easily be used by ergonomic practitioners to estimate static friction coefficients in the field in a timely manner. ..
- Paques J, Gauthier F, Perez A. Analysis and classification of the tools for assessing the risks associated with industrial machines. Int J Occup Saf Ergon. 2007;13:173-87 pubmed..This paper presents the main quantitative results of the analysis of the methods and tools. ..
- Vidaurre C, Schlogl A, Cabeza R, Scherer R, Pfurtscheller G. Study of on-line adaptive discriminant analysis for EEG-based brain computer interfaces. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2007;54:550-6 pubmed..Finally a static subject-specific baseline was also provided and used to compare performance measurements of both types of adaptation. ..
- Petersen A, Barrett R. Postural stability and vehicle kinematics during an evasive lane change manoeuvre: a driver training study. Ergonomics. 2009;52:560-8 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study provide some preliminary evidence to suggest that postural stability may be an important consideration when instructing individuals on how to safely negotiate obstacles during driving. ..
- Rittenberry R. A de-stressing situation. Occup Health Saf. 2007;76:22 pubmed
- Fischer S, Wells R, Dickerson C. The effect of added degrees of freedom and handle type on upper limb muscle activity during simulated hand tool use. Ergonomics. 2009;52:25-35 pubmed publisher..Handle type also influenced the magnitude of the muscular activity. ..
- Hidler J, Wisman W, Neckel N. Kinematic trajectories while walking within the Lokomat robotic gait-orthosis. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2008;23:1251-9 pubmed publisher..These results are clinically important as a variable step pattern has been shown to be a more effective gait training strategy than one which forces the same kinematic pattern in successive steps. ..
- Piccigallo M, Focacci F, Tonet O, Megali G, Quaglia C, Dario P. Hand-held robotic instrument for dextrous laparoscopic interventions. Int J Med Robot. 2008;4:331-8 pubmed publisher..The instrument presented is the result of a global study involving mechanical, electronic and ergonomic aspects, with the aim of developing an instrument that enhances the dexterity of the surgeon while having an intuitive interface. ..