Summary: The knowledge or communication by one person with the mental processes of another through channels other than known physical or perceptual processes.
- Telepathy: maximizing resident exposure to surgical pathology decision makingElisabeth C McLemore
Department of General Surgery, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Am J Surg 191:538-41. 2006..General surgery residents are often not present for the critical intraoperative discussion between surgeon and pathologist regarding surgical pathology findings...
- Where are you, my beloved? On absence, loss, and the enigma of telepathic dreamsOfra Eshel
Int J Psychoanal 87:1603-27. 2006The subject of dream telepathy (especially patients' telepathic dreams) and related phenomena in the psychoanalytic context has been a controversial, disturbing 'foreign body' ever since it was introduced into psychoanalysis by Freud in ..
- Oxytocin improves "mind-reading" in humansGregor Domes
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Rostock University, Rostock, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 61:731-3. 2007..The neuropeptide oxytocin plays a central role in social approach behavior in nonhuman mammals...
- Compassionate intention as a therapeutic intervention by partners of cancer patients: effects of distant intention on the patients' autonomic nervous systemDean Radin
Institute of Noetic Sciences, Petaluma, CA, USA
Explore (NY) 4:235-43. 2008....
- Haunted thoughts of the careful experimentalist: Psychical research and the troubles of experimental physicsRichard Noakes
Department of History, University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, Penryn, Cornwall TR10 9EF, United Kingdom Electronic address
Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci 48:46-56. 2014..in the established sciences to give greater plausibility to their interpretations of such puzzling phenomena as telepathy, telekinesis and ectoplasm...
- Enhancing pseudo-telepathy in the magic square gameLukasz Pawela
Institute of Theoretical and Applied Informatics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Gliwice, Poland
PLoS ONE 8:e64694. 2013..We show the benefits of our method using the quantum pseudo-telepathy Magic Square game with noise. Our strategy is to move the pseudo-telepathy region to higher noise values...
- Experiences of possession and paranormal phenomena among women in the general population: are they related to traumatic stress and dissociation?Vedat Sar
a Clinical Psychotherapy Unit and Dissociative Disorders Program and Department of Psychiatry, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Trauma Dissociation 15:303-18. 2014..Women with a dissociative disorder reported all types of possession and PNP (except telepathy) more frequently than those without...
- [Distant mental influence on living organisms]Ernesto Bonilla
Centro de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas IVIC, Sede Zulia
Invest Clin 54:427-54. 2013....
- The cultural evolution of mind readingCecilia M Heyes
All Souls College and Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 4AL, UK
Science 344:1243091. 2014....
- What do mind readers know and what do we know about mind readers?Jacqueline D Woolley
The University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA
Br J Dev Psychol 32:388-90. 2014..expect telepathic individuals to have, who children might consider to be good mind readers, why children value telepathy, and how puzzled children are by telepathy...
- A visit to the Budapest schoolElisabeth Young-Bruehl
Psychoanal Study Child 57:411-32. 2002..First, their exploration, stimulated by Ferenczi, of clairvoyance and telepathy, as these relate to the analytic situation, to transference and countertransference...
- The Illusory Beliefs Inventory: a new measure of magical thinking and its relationship with obsessive compulsive disorderBianca L Kingdon
School of Psychology and Speech Pathology and Curtin Health Research Institute, Curtin University, Perth, WA, Australia
Behav Cogn Psychother 40:39-53. 2012..Magical thinking has been proposed to have an aetiological role in obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)...
- Sensitivity to coincidences and paranormal beliefGergo Hadlaczky
National Prevention of Suicide and Mental Ill Health NASP, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Percept Mot Skills 113:894-908. 2011..The theoretical aspects of these findings were discussed...
- A phenomenological study of spontaneous spiritual and paranormal experiences in a 21st-century sample of normal peopleFredrick James Woodard
Woodard Hypnosis and Research, Inc, Milford, NH 03055, USA
Psychol Rep 110:73-132. 2012..This research illustrates how subjective experience can be adequately researched in a qualitative manner outside the confines of the laboratory setting. Limitations of the study and suggestions for further research are given...
- [Criminology and superstition at the turn of the 19th century]Christian Bachhiesl
Hans Gross Kriminalmuseum Universitätsmuseen der Karl Franzens Universität Graz
Arch Kriminol 229:126-36. 2012..However, they sometimes also considered the use of occultist practices such as telepathy and clairvoyance to solve criminal cases...
- A Bayes factor meta-analysis of recent extrasensory perception experiments: comment on Storm, Tressoldi, and Di Risio (2010)Jeffrey N Rouder
Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Psychol Bull 139:241-7. 2013Psi phenomena, such as mental telepathy, precognition, and clairvoyance, have garnered much recent attention. We reassess the evidence for psi effects from Storm, Tressoldi, and Di Risio's (2010) meta-analysis...
- Protracted parahippocampal activity associated with Sean HarribanceMichael A Persinger
Behavioural Neuroscience and Human Studies Programs, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Int J Yoga 5:140-5. 2012....
- Policing epistemic deviance: Albert Von Schrenck-Notzing and Albert Moll(1)Andreas Sommer
UCL Centre for the History of Psychological Disciplines, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Med Hist 56:255-76. 2012..Moll's analysis concluded that parapsychologists vouching for the reality of supernormal phenomena, such as telepathy, clairvoyance, telekinesis and materialisations, suffered from a morbid will to believe, which paralysed their ..
- An unexplored domain of nonlocality: toward a scientific explanation of instrumental transcommunicationErvin Laszlo
The Club of Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
Explore (NY) 4:321-7. 2008..It is queried here for its authenticity, and an interpretation is explored in the framework of theories of nonlocality, in particular the vacuum field theory advanced, among others, by this writer...
- Ganzfeld-induced hallucinatory experience, its phenomenology and cerebral electrophysiologyJiri Wackermann
Department of Empirical and Analytical Psychophysics, Institute for Frontier Areas of Psychology and Mental Health, Freiburg i Br, Germany
Cortex 44:1364-78. 2008..is devoted to the controversial topic of allegedly anomalous communication between human subjects ('ganzfeld telepathy')...
- Testing nonlocal observation as a source of intuitive knowledgeDean Radin
Institute of Noetic Sciences, Petaluma, CA, USA
Explore (NY) 4:25-35. 2008....
- Using neuroimaging to resolve the psi debateSamuel T Moulton
Harvard University, USA
J Cogn Neurosci 20:182-92. 2008Abstract Parapsychology is the scientific investigation of apparently paranormal mental phenomena (such as telepathy, i.e., "mind reading"), also known as psi...
- Information and uncertainty in remote perception researchB J Dunne
Explore (NY) 3:254-69, 343-4. 2007....
- EmbodimentRobert Langan
Center for Applied Psychoanalysis, William Alanson White Institute
Am J Psychoanal 67:249-59. 2007..necessary anchor into the reality of the physical world, whereas Groddeck's and Ferenczi's openness to ideas of telepathy and communication beyond death flirts with a disembodied transcendence of physicality...
- On: Where are you, my beloved? On absence, loss and the enigma of telepathic dreamsMoran Shoham
Int J Psychoanal 88:1061-2; author reply 1062-3. 2007
- FieldREG II: consciousness field effects: replications and explorationsR D Nelson
Explore (NY) 3:279-93, 344. 2007..91 for the mundane subset. The exploratory work suggests other venues in which anomalous effects of group consciousness can be expected, and also identifies a number of situations that do not appear to be conducive to such responses...
- A rapid online telepathy testRupert Sheldrake
Perrott Warrick Project, London, UK
Psychol Rep 104:957-70. 2009In an automated online telepathy test, each participant had four senders, two actual and two virtual, generated by the computer. In a series of 12 30-sec...
- Sensing the sending of SMS messages: an automated testRupert Sheldrake
Perrott Warrick Project, London, England, UK
Explore (NY) 5:272-6. 2009The aim of this study was to carry out automated experiments to test for telepathy in connection with text messages.
- Mesmerising mirror neuronsCecilia Heyes
All Souls College and Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, UK
Neuroimage 51:789-91. 2010..I argue that three currents of thought-relating to evolution, atomism and telepathy-have magnified the perceived importance of mirror neurons...
- A possible approach for researching purported spirit communication: an empirical-anecdotal investigationL G Russek
Human Energy Systems Laboratory, University of Arizona, USA
Adv Mind Body Med 15:295-301. 1999..The combined empirical plus anecdotal nature of research in this area are considered, along with implications of the hypothesis for mind-body and integrative medicine...
- Evidence for a communal consciousnessRobert S Bobrow
Department of Family Medicine, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Explore (NY) 7:246-8. 2011..The "emotional telepathy" of social network phenomena suggests a collective/communal consciousness as well.
- Magical thinking in somatoform disorders: an exploratory study among patients with suspected allergiesC Hausteiner-Wiehle
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, Technische Universität München TUM, Munich, Germany
Psychopathology 44:283-8. 2011..In order to reconceptualize somatoform disorders (SFDs), the psychological characteristics of SFD patients are increasingly investigated. The cognitive style of magical thinking (MT) has not been studied so far in patients with SFDs...
- Prevalence of dental caries and dental care utilisation in preschool urban children enrolled in a comparative-effectiveness studyD T Kopycka-Kedzierawski
University of Rochester, Eastman Institute for Oral Health, 625 Elmwood Ave, Box 683, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 12:133-8. 2011..To assess dental caries prevalence and dental care utilisation in pre-school children enrolled in urban childcare centres that participated in a comparative effectiveness study...
- An investigation of mediums who claim to give information about deceased personsEmily Williams Kelly
Division of Perceptual Studies, Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia Health System, 210 10th Street NE, Charlottesville, VA 22902, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 199:11-7. 2011..In the second, much larger study the results were highly significant (z = -3.89, p < 0.0001, 2-tailed). The authors discuss 2 possible weaknesses of the successful study and indicate some directions for further research...
- Coincidences in analysis: Sigmund Freud and the strange case of Dr Forsyth and Herr von VorsichtMaria Pierri
Int J Psychoanal 91:745-72. 2010..turn of the 1920s are explored, together with the opening of private and productive thoughts in the area of 'telepathy' that joined Freud, Ferenczi, and Anna Freud in a true 'dialogue of unconsciouses'...
- Meta-analysis of free-response studies, 1992-2008: assessing the noise reduction model in parapsychologyLance Storm
School of Psychology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Psychol Bull 136:471-85. 2010..We also found that selected participants (believers in the paranormal, meditators, etc.) had a performance advantage over unselected participants, but only if they were in the ganzfeld condition...
- How to seem telepathic: enabling mind reading by matching construalTal Eyal
Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, 84105, Israel
Psychol Sci 21:700-5. 2010..Accurately reading other minds to know how one is evaluated by others-or how others evaluate themselves-requires focusing one's evaluative lens at the right level of detail...
- On Hans, Zou and the others: wonder animals and the question of animal intelligence in early twentieth-century FranceSofie Lachapelle
Department of History, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada
Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci 41:12-20. 2010..Psychical researchers investigated many of these claims, including animal telepathy and ghostly apparitions...
- Correlations of random binary sequences with pre-stated operator intention: a review of a 12-year programR G Jahn
Explore (NY) 3:244-53, 341-3. 2007....
- Anomalous information reception by research mediums demonstrated using a novel triple-blind protocolJulie Beischel
Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health, Department of Psychology, The University of Arizona, USA
Explore (NY) 3:23-7. 2007..Investigating the information reported by mediums is ultimately important in determining the relationship between brain and consciousness in addition to being of deep concern to the public...
- Hindsight and confirmation biases in an exercise in telepathyJeffrey M Rudski
Department of Psychology, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA 18104 5586, USA
Psychol Rep 91:899-906. 2002..48 undergraduate college students engaged in an exercise in telepathy in which the color of cards was 'sent' to them by the experimenter under two conditions...
- Ranking of stimuli that evoked memories in significant others after exposure to circumcerebral magnetic fields: correlations with ambient geomagnetic activityJ N Booth
Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON, Canada
Percept Mot Skills 95:555-8. 2002..However, these processes may be enhanced if global geomagnetic activity is increasing during the periods of exposure...
- Enhancement of images of possible memories of others during exposure to circumcerebral magnetic fields: correlations with ambient geomagnetic activityM A Persinger
Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON, Canada
Percept Mot Skills 95:531-43. 2002..The results suggested consciousness might also be an insulator to myriad stimuli which might be accessible when brain activity is modified by circumcerebral magnetic fields with temporal configurations in the order of 20 msec...
- Distant healing revisited: time for a new epistemologyBarbara G Koopman
Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 8:100-1. 2002..To this end, we believe that broader, nonlinear thought processes would better serve us in fathoming the mysterious leap from mind to living matter...
- On "Telepathic dreams?": an unpublished paper by Robert J. StollerE L Mayer
San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute, USA
J Am Psychoanal Assoc 49:629-57. 2001..He never submitted the paper for publication, though he returned to the topic of unconscious communication and telepathy with increasing fascination in the years before his death...
- A randomized trial of distant healing for skin wartsE F Harkness
Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom
Am J Med 108:448-52. 2000..This trial was aimed at assessing the efficacy of one form of distant healing on common skin warts...
- Strong commitment to traditional Protestant religious beliefs is negatively related to beliefs in paranormal phenomenaE L Hillstrom
Department of Psychology, Wheaton College, IL 60187, USA
Psychol Rep 86:183-9. 2000..less likely than Nominal Believers or Nonbelievers to endorse reincarnation, contact with the dead, UFOs, telepathy, prophecy, psychokinesis, or healing, while the beliefs of Nominal Believers were similar to those of ..
- The ability to detect unseen staring: a literature review and empirical testsJ Colwell
Psychology Academic Group, School of Social Science, Middlesex University, UK
Br J Psychol 91:71-85. 2000..This hypothesis was supported in Expt 2 where 12 participants responded to 12 'genuinely random' sequences, and no differences in accuracy from MCE were obtained...
- Reinterpreting telepathy as unusual experiences of empathy and charismaJ M Donovan
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA
Percept Mot Skills 87:131-46. 1998b>Telepathy is often dismissed because it is judged to be contrary to the accepted facts of social psychology...
- Close encounters in the liminal zone: experiments in imaginal communication part IH Reed
Transpersonal Studies, Atlantic University, Virginia Beach 23451, USA
J Anal Psychol 41:81-116. 1996..Part II of this report will present evidence that the experienced psychic contact was more than 'just imagination', and involved transpersonal interactions, including suggestions of synchronicity and telepathy.
- Covariation bias and paranormal beliefA Schienle
Department of Clinical and Physiological Psychology, University of Giessen, Germany
Psychol Rep 78:291-305. 199622 believers and 20 skeptics of extrasensory perception (ESP) participated in a telepathy experiment. Subjects were asked to judge the covariation between transmitted symbols and the corresponding feedback given by a receiver...
- Geophysical variables and behavior: LXXI. Differential contribution of geomagnetic activity to paranormal experiences concerning death and crisis: an alternative to the ESP hypothesisM A Persinger
Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Percept Mot Skills 76:555-62. 1993..35. Although content analysis suggests that nocturnal psi experiences and temporal lobe epilepsy may share a similar mechanism, different classes of subjective psi experiences may not be affected by the same stimuli...
- Average diurnal changes in melatonin levels are associated with hourly incidence of bereavement apparitions: support for the hypothesis of temporal (limbic) lobe microseizuringM A Persinger
Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Percept Mot Skills 76:444-6. 1993..Although the hourly incidence of subjective experiences of telepathy, precognition, and bereavement apparitions were all significantly correlated with published indices of hourly ..
- Geophysical variables and behavior: LXXVII. Increased geomagnetic activity and decreased pleasantness of spontaneous narratives for percipients but not agentsD R Churchill
Department of Psychology, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Percept Mot Skills 79:387-92. 1994..Implications for the hypothesis of affective concordance between emotionally bonded human beings and its role in episodes of potentially veridical telepathic experiences are discussed...
- Correspondences and thought-transference during psychoanalysisS Silverman
Psychoanalytic Institute of New England, Brookline, MA
J Am Acad Psychoanal 16:269-94. 1988..The subject of correspondences and thought-transference in psychoanalytic treatment requires further study...
- What does a "superstitious" person believe? Impressions of participantsJeffrey Rudski
Department of Psychology, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA 18104, USA
J Gen Psychol 130:431-45. 2003..g., ghosts), spiritualism (e.g., reincarnation), or psi (e.g., telepathy). Religious beliefs were rated as not being descriptive of the fictitious superstitious person...
- Mind-reading accuracy in intimate relationships: assessing the roles of the relationship, the target, and the judgeGeoff Thomas
School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales
J Pers Soc Psychol 85:1079-94. 2003..The authors conclude that the nature of the relationship between the perceiver and the target occupies a pivotal role in determining mind-reading accuracy...
- From ether theory to ether theology: Oliver Lodge and the physics of immortalityCourtenay Grean Raia
History Department, UCLA, Westwood, CA 90095 1473, USA
J Hist Behav Sci 43:18-43. 2007..Lodge undertook the study of psychical phenomena such as telepathy, telekinesis, and "ectoplasm" to further his scientific investigations of the ether, speculating that electrical ..
- Belief in psychic ability and the misattribution hypothesis: a qualitative reviewRichard Wiseman
Psychology Department, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield Campus, College Lane, Hatfield, Herts AL10 9AB, UK
Br J Psychol 97:323-38. 2006....
- Of two minds: Sceptic-proponent collaboration within parapsychologyMarilyn Schlitz
Institute of Noetic Sciences, USA
Br J Psychol 97:313-22. 2006..The implications of this work are discussed, along with the benefits of conducting collaborative work for resolving disagreements in other controversial areas of psychology...
- Trends that will affect your future ... An American profileStephan A Schwartz
Explore (NY) 1:338-9. 2005
- Testing for telepathy in connection with e-mailsRupert Sheldrake
Percept Mot Skills 101:771-86. 2005..Further tests with 5 participants (4 women, 1 man, ages 16 to 29) were videotaped continuously. On the filmed trials, the 64 hits of 137 (47%) were significantly above chance...
- Toward general experimentation and discovery in conditioned laboratory spaces: part IV. Macroscopic information entanglement between sites approximately 6000 miles apartWilliam A Tiller
William A Tiller Foundation for New Science, Payson, AZ 85541, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:973-6. 2005..Such information entanglement has profound implications for distant healing...
- Evidence for correlations between distant intentionality and brain function in recipients: a functional magnetic resonance imaging analysisJeanne Achterberg
Earl and Doris Bakken Foundation, North Hawaii Community Hospital, Kamuela, HI 95743, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:965-71. 2005..It was concluded that instructions to a healer to make an intentional connection with a sensory isolated person can be correlated to changes in brain function of that individual...
- Rupert's resonanceMichael Shermer
Sci Am 293:38. 2005
- "Spooky actions at a distance": physics, psi, and distant healingDrew Leder
Department of Philosophy, Loyola College in Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21210, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:923-30. 2005..has accumulated evidence of the real and measureable existence of "spooky actions at a distance"--modes of telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance, and the like...
- An interdisciplinary approach to certain fundamental issues in the fields of physics and biology: towards a unified theoryFred H Thaheld
Biosystems 80:41-56. 2005....
- Distant intentionality and the feeling of being stared at: two meta-analysesStefan Schmidt
Institute of Environmental Medicine and Hospital Epidemiology, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany
Br J Psychol 95:235-47. 2004..05 (p =.50). In 15 remote staring studies a mean effect size of d = 0.13 (p =.01) was obtained. It is concluded that there are hints of an effect, but also a shortage of independent replications and theoretical concepts...
- Telepathic charm seduces audience at paranormal debateJohn Whitfield
Nature 427:277. 2004
- Nonrashes. 6. Telepathic pruritusJ D Bernhard
Division of Dermatology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655
Cutis 45:59. 1990We report the case of a paranoid schizophrenic man who suffered from the delusion that two other men used mental telepathy to make him itch over a period of thirteen years...
- THEORY BASED DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION FOR VIDEO GAMESDARION RAPOZA; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract): Telepathy Entertainment will develop and test an interactive multi-user role- playing game for the Internet that utilizes theory-driven, experimentally validated methods to promote ..
- Bayesian Hierarchical Models for Psychological ResearchJEFFREY ROUDER; Fiscal Year: 2007....