Summary: Selection of a type of occupation or profession.
Publications270 found, 100 shown here
- Rural practice preferences among medical students in Ghana: a discrete choice experimentMargaret E Kruk
Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 1415 Washington Heights M3166 SPH II, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States of America
Bull World Health Organ 88:333-41. 2010..To determine how specific job attributes influenced fourth year medical students' stated preference for hypothetical rural job postings in Ghana...
- Choosing general practice as a career - the influences of education and trainingJeremy Bunker
Sydney Institute of General Practice Education and Training, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 38:341-4. 2009In Australia, most medical students graduate without a firm career choice, with this decision being made during their early postgraduate years...
- Becoming a general practitioner--which factors have most impact on career choice of medical students?Kathrin Kiolbassa
Department of General Practice and Health Services Research, University Hospital Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Fam Pract 12:25. 2011..The factors influencing the career choice of German medical students are poorly understood...
- Policy interventions that attract nurses to rural areas: a multicountry discrete choice experimentD Blaauw
Centre for Health Policy, University of the Witwatersrand, Private Bag X3, Johannesburg, 2050, South Africa
Bull World Health Organ 88:350-6. 2010..To evaluate the relative effectiveness of different policies in attracting nurses to rural areas in Kenya, South Africa and Thailand using data from a discrete choice experiment (DCE)...
- The decline of family medicine as a career choiceWalter W Rosser
Department of Family Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, ON
CMAJ 166:1419-20. 2002
- Career choice of new medical students at three Canadian universities: family medicine versus specialty medicineBruce Wright
Department of Family Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta
CMAJ 170:1920-4. 2004..preference at the time that students begin medical school may be significantly associated with their ultimate career choice. We sought to identify the career preferences students have at entry to medical school and the factors related ..
- The influence of controllable lifestyle and sex on the specialty choices of graduating U.S. medical students, 1996-2003E Ray Dorsey
University of Rochester, School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1351 Mt Hope Avenue, Suite 223, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Acad Med 80:791-6. 2005..To determine whether the preferences of female medical students are sufficient to explain the recent trend of U.S. medical students choosing specialties with controllable lifestyles...
- Career choices of medical students: a national survey of 1780 studentsJeremie H Lefevre
Department of Digestive Surgery, Saint Antoine Hospital Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris AP HP, Pierre et Marie Curie Faculty of Medicine, University of Paris VI, Paris, France
Med Educ 44:603-12. 2010....
- How, when, and why do physicians choose careers in academic medicine? A literature reviewNicole J Borges
Medical Education Research and Evaluation for the Office of Academic Affairs, Department of Community Health, Boonshoft School of Medicine, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio 45435 0001, USA
Acad Med 85:680-6. 2010..Clinical practice, research, and academia are common paths. The authors examined the literature to identify research-based factors influencing physicians to choose a career path in academic medicine...
- Results of the 2010 national resident matching program: family medicinePerry A Pugno
American Academy of Family Physicians, Leawood, KS 66211, USA
Fam Med 42:552-61. 2010....
- Spousal perspectives on factors influencing recruitment and retention of rural family physiciansErin Mayo
Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Nfld
Can J Rural Med 11:271-6. 2006..This study describes the factors that both directly and indirectly influence spousal contentment and explores how these factors contribute toward recruitment and retention of physicians to rural practice locations...
- Determinants of choosing a career in family medicineIan Scott
Department of Family Practice, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
CMAJ 183:E1-8. 2011....
- Career choice in academic medicine: systematic reviewSharon E Straus
Division of General Internal Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Gen Intern Med 21:1222-9. 2006..To review systematically the evidence about what factors influence the decision to choose or not choose a career in academic medicine...
- Changes in U.S. medical students' specialty interests over the course of medical schoolMichael T Compton
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1095-100. 2008..Studies have examined factors affecting medical students' specialty choice, but little research exists on stability of these specialty interests...
- Becoming a nurse: a meta-study of early professional socialization and career choice in nursingSheri L Price
Women s Health, IWK Health Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Adv Nurs 65:11-9. 2009This paper is a report of a meta-study of early professional socialization and career choice in nursing.
- Respect from specialists: concerns of family physiciansDonna Manca
Can Fam Physician 54:1434-5, 1435.e1-5. 2008..To explore potential solutions to the challenge of gaining more respect for FPs from other specialists...
- Choosing general practice - a review of career choice determinantsNarelle Shadbolt
Discipline of General Practice, University of Sydney, Academic General Practice Unit, Hornsby Hospital, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 38:53-5. 2009..Addressing the Australian general practice workforce crisis requires an understanding of career choice motivators.
- Factors associated with the subspecialty choices of internal medicine residents in CanadaLeora Horn
Department of Medical Oncology, Vanderbilt University, 777 Preston Research Building, 2220 Pierce Avenue, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
BMC Med Educ 8:37. 2008..To address the concern about physician imbalances in internal medicine subspecialties, we need to examine the factors that motivate residents when making career decisions...
- Who wants to work in a rural health post? The role of intrinsic motivation, rural background and faith-based institutions in Ethiopia and RwandaPieter Serneels
University of East Anglia, Norwich, England
Bull World Health Organ 88:342-9. 2010..To understand the factors influencing health workers' choice to work in rural areas as a basis for designing policies to redress geographic imbalances in health worker distribution...
- Attitude of medical students towards general practice and general practitionersEmma Henderson
Department of Primary Health Care and General Practice, Imperial College School of Medicine, London
Br J Gen Pract 52:359-63. 2002..The stimuli for this work came from the need to identify and understand the origin of students' attitudes towards general practice in the context of undergraduate curriculum reform and concerns about recruitment...
- Why would I choose a career in family medicine?: Reflections of medical students at 3 universitiesIan Scott
University of British Columbia, Department of Family Practice Undergraduate Office, David Strangway Bldg, Suite 300, 5950 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC
Can Fam Physician 53:1956-7. 2007..To describe the factors that medical students report influence them to pursue careers in family medicine...
- Career choices of United Kingdom medical graduates of 2002: questionnaire surveyTrevor W Lambert
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Med Educ 40:514-21. 2006..To report the specialty choices of UK medical graduates of 2002, and to compare their choices with those of qualifiers in previous years and with the profile of career grade doctors in different specialties in England...
- Factors related to the choice of family medicine: a reassessment and literature reviewJanet H Senf
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 85719, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 16:502-12. 2003..Recent decreases in the number of students entering family medicine has prompted reconsideration of what is known about the factors affecting specialty choice...
- Where have all the doctors gone? Career choices of Wits medical graduatesMax Price
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr Med J 95:414-9. 2005....
- The physician-scientist career pipeline in 2005: build it, and they will comeTimothy J Ley
Section of Stem Cell Biology, Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine, Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
JAMA 294:1343-51. 2005..A variety of factors were thought to contribute to this problem, including increasing indebtedness of medical school graduates caused by rapidly rising medical school tuition costs...
- [The image of general practitioners' profession in a changing society]Iris Natanzon
Abteilung Allgemeinmedizin und Versorgungsforschung, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Vossstrasse 2, Geb 37, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Med Klin (Munich) 104:601-7. 2009..The aim of this study was to explore, which image exists of general practitioners' profession from their viewpoint and which social developments influence their image...
- Women's underrepresentation in science: sociocultural and biological considerationsStephen J Ceci
Department of Human Development, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Psychol Bull 135:218-61. 2009....
- Medical students, money, and career selection: students' perception of financial factors and remuneration in family medicineDante J Morra
Department of Medicine, Wilson Centre for Research in Education, University of Toronto, and Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Fam Med 41:105-10. 2009..Some studies have shown a small inverse relationship between debt levels and primary care, but it is unclear how students perceive remuneration in different specialties and how these perceptions might influence career choice.
- Science education. And then there was oneJeffrey Mervis
Science 321:1622-8. 2008
- Effects of international health electives on medical student learning and career choice: results of a systematic literature reviewJessica Jeffrey
David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Fam Med 43:21-8. 2011The present study reviewed the published literature to examine the effects of international health electives (IHEs) on medical student learning and career choice.
- Influences on choice of surgery as a career: a study of consecutive cohorts in a medical schoolDejano T Sobral
Faculty of Medicine, University of Brasilia, Brazil
Med Educ 40:522-9. 2006..To examine the differential impact of person-based and programme-related features on graduates' dichotomous choice between surgical or non-surgical field specialties for first-year residency...
- A comparative investigation of dental and medical student's motivation towards career choiceM L Crossley
Turner Dental School, University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester M15 6FH
Br Dent J 193:471-3. 2002A number of recent studies have investigated the motivations underlying the career choice of dental and medical students, suggesting that they may be very different...
- Specialty choice in UK junior doctors: is psychiatry the least popular specialty for UK and international medical graduates?Seena Fazel
University of Oxford, Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK
BMC Med Educ 9:77. 2009..We aimed to determine what specialties were the most popular and desirable among candidates for training posts, and whether this differed by country of undergraduate training...
- Does students' exposure to gender discrimination and sexual harassment in medical school affect specialty choice and residency program selection?Terry D Stratton
Student Assessment and Program Evaluation, Office of Academic Affairs, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, MN104 Medical Science Building, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Acad Med 80:400-8. 2005..To examine the role of gender discrimination and sexual harassment in medical students' choice of specialty and residency program...
- Mentoring in academic medicine: a systematic reviewDario Sambunjak
Croatian Medical Journal, Zagreb, Croatia
JAMA 296:1103-15. 2006..Therefore, evidence for the value of mentoring needs to be evaluated...
- Changes in medical students' views of internal medicine careers from 1990 to 2007Mark D Schwartz
Divisions of General Internal Medicine, Departments of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10010, USA
Arch Intern Med 171:744-9. 2011..The United States faces a shortage of primary care physicians and declining number of medical students choosing primary care careers...
- [Motives for choice of specialty during and after medical school]Olaf Gjerløw Aasland
Legeforeningens forskningsinstitutt og Institutt for helseledelse og helseøkonomi Universitetet i Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 128:1833-7. 2008..The basis for preference and choice of specialty is a complicated mixture of individual interests and job opportunities. We wanted to investigate the possible explanations for such preferences and choices...
- Applying to plastic surgery residency: factors associated with medical student career choiceArin K Greene
Division of Plastic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02114, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:1049-53; discussion 1054. 2008..During this period, medical education, reimbursement, work hours, and media coverage have changed...
- Choosing a medical specialty--study of Finnish doctors graduating in 1977-2006Teppo Heikkilä
Unit of General Practice, Kuopio University Hospital, Asemakatu 44 A 4, 70110 Kuopio, Finland
Med Teach 33:e440-5. 2011..Although there has been some research in this area of interest, there has not been much research where the profession has been researched as a whole, or where trend data over different generations has been presented...
- The "gender gap" in authorship of academic medical literature--a 35-year perspectiveReshma Jagsi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Office for Women s Careers, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 355:281-7. 2006..Advancement is largely driven by peer-reviewed original research, so we sought to determine the representation of female physician-investigators among the authors of selected publications during the past 35 years...
- Whether or wither some specialties: a survey of Canadian medical student career interestIan M Scott
Department of Family Practice, University of British Columbia, 300 5950 niversity Boulevard, Vancouver BC V6T1Z3, Canada
BMC Med Educ 9:57. 2009..Given the looming shortage of physicians in Canada, we wished to determine how closely the career preference of students entering Canadian medical schools was aligned with the current physician mix in Canada...
- The impact of mentoring during postgraduate training on doctors' career successMartina Stamm
Department of Research and Education, Zurich University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Med Educ 45:488-96. 2011..This study made use of a longitudinal design to investigate the impact of mentoring during postgraduate specialist training on the career success of doctors...
- Doctors who considered but did not pursue specific clinical specialties as careers: questionnaire surveysMichael J Goldacre
Medical Careers Research Group, Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
J R Soc Med 105:166-76. 2012..To report doctors' rejection of specialties as long-term careers and reasons for rejection...
- The reputation and professional identity of family medicine practice according to medical students: a Spanish case studySofía López-Roig
Department of Health Psychology, Faculty of Medicine, Miguel Hernandez University, Spain
Aten Primaria 42:591-601. 2010Over the last decade, family medicine has been progressively rejected by medical students as a career choice in many Western countries...
- Pakistani medical students' specialty preference and the influencing factorsAnis Rehman
Dow Medical College, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 61:713-8. 2011..To elucidate the specialty preferences of Pakistani medical students and the factors which influence medical students to make the decision regarding which specialty to pursue...
- When, what and how South Australian pre-registration junior medical officers' career choices are madeCaroline Laurence
Adelaide to Outback GP Training Program, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Med Educ 41:467-75. 2007....
- Primary care specialty choices of United States medical graduates, 1997-2006Donna B Jeffe
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MS, USA
Acad Med 85:947-58. 2010..To describe trends in specialty choice and to identify predictors of primary care specialty choices among graduates of U.S. MD-granting medical schools...
- The new generation of family physicians--career motivation, life goals and work-life balanceBarbara Buddeberg-Fischer
Department of Psychosocial Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 138:305-12. 2008..concerning personality factors, career motivation, career success, importance of life goals and work-life balance; further, the stability in career choice of family physicians from medical school through to residency was evaluated.
- Internal medicine resident self-report of factors associated with career decisionsColin P West
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:946-9. 2009..Little is known about factors contributing to the career decisions of internal medicine residents...
- Shortage specialties: changes in career intentions from medical student to newly qualified doctorRachel Mahoney
Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London Camde, Islington Mental Health and Social Care Trust, London, UK
Med Teach 26:650-4. 2004..Early career advice and support during medical school and immediately after graduation may help doctors to be confident in pursuing shortage specialties to which they were originally attracted...
- Relating medical students' knowledge, attitudes, and experience to an interest in geriatric medicineJames T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, The University of Michigan Medical School, 1107 Towsley Center, Box 0201, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0201, USA
Gerontologist 43:849-55. 2003..This study examined medical students' interest in geriatrics: Are knowledge, positive attitudes, and prior experience with older adults associated with an interest in geriatric medicine?..
- Factors affecting medical students in formulating their specialty preferences in JordanYousef Khader
Department of Public Health, Community Medicine and Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
BMC Med Educ 8:32. 2008..Therefore, we carried out this study to investigate the career preferences of medical students at Jordan University of Science and Technology and determine factors that might influence their career decisions...
- [Career wishes and career worries of medical students--results of focus group interviews]B Buddeberg-Fischer
Abteilung Psychosoziale Medizin, Universitatsspital Zurich, Switzerland
Gesundheitswesen 64:353-63. 2002..experiences by medical students during their clinical year, 2. their understanding of career, 3. their career desires and worries regarding the compatibility of profession and family, and 4. their wishes of career promotion...
- Our compact with tomorrow's doctorsJordan J Cohen
Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Acad Med 77:475-80. 2002....
- Insights into medical students' career choices based on third- and fourth-year students' focus-group discussionsS Mutha
Division of General Medical Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Acad Med 72:635-40. 1997..To identify previously unrecognized factors influencing medical students' career choices and to better characterize the effects of educational experiences, role models, and educational debt on career decisions...
- Factors in recruiting and retaining health professionals for rural practiceZina M Daniels
Physical Therapy Program, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
J Rural Health 23:62-71. 2007..Rural communities, often with complex health care issues, have difficulty creating and sustaining an adequate health professional workforce...
- Factors associated with medical students' career choices regarding internal medicineKaren E Hauer
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 533 Parnassus Ave, U137, Box 0131, San Francisco, CA 94143 0131, USA
JAMA 300:1154-64. 2008..The factors influencing current students' career choices regarding IM are unclear...
- Why nurses are attracted to rural and remote practiceDesley Hegney
Centre for Rural and Remote Area Nursing, University of Southern Queensland, PO Darling Heights, Toowoomba, Queensland 4350, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 10:178-86. 2002..The paper makes recommendations to attract nurses to the rural and remote work force...
- Reasons why some UK medical graduates who initially choose psychiatry do not pursue it as a long-term careerTrevor W Lambert
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Department of Public Health, Oxford University
Psychol Med 36:679-84. 2006..Some doctors who initially choose psychiatry do not pursue it as a long-term career. The study seeks to identify reasons for leaving psychiatry...
- Intelligence, personality, and interests: evidence for overlapping traitsP L Ackerman
Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Psychol Bull 121:219-45. 1997..They identify 4 trait complexes: social, clerical/conventional, science/math, and intellectual/cultural...
- [Perspectives and experiences of vocational trainers in General Practice: a survey in Baden-Wuerttemberg]Stefanie Joos
Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Abteilung Allgemeinmedizin und Versorgungsforschung, Heidelberg und Kompetenzzentrum Allgemeinmedizin Baden Württemberg
Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 105:97-104. 2011..The aim of this survey was to explore perspectives and experiences of GP trainers focusing on their needs in view of a possible qualification course...
- Where do I go from here: we've got enough seniors?Selena Gillham
Monash University School of Rural Health, Centre for Multidisciplinary Studies in Rural Health, MOE, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 15:313-20. 2007..To identify recruitment and retention issues for allied health professionals at two rural health services...
- Doctor-patient interaction in Finnish primary health care as perceived by first year medical studentsJuhani Miettola
Department of Public Health and General Practice, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
BMC Med Educ 5:34. 2005..Focused on doctor-patient relationship, we analysed the reports of 2002 first year medical students in the University of Kuopio. The students observed GPs' work during their 2-day visit to primary health care centres...
- Improving health workforce recruitment and retention in rural and remote regions of NigeriaNiyi Awofeso
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Rural Remote Health 10:1319. 2010....
- The effect of a psychiatric attachment on students' attitudes to and intention to pursue psychiatry as a careerMonica McParland
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University College London, UK
Med Educ 37:447-54. 2003..The relationships between attitudes, career intentions and academic performance were examined...
- A future career in general practice? A longitudinal study of medical students and pre-registration house officersHazel K Sinclair
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Eur J Gen Pract 12:120-7. 2006..preferences of medical students throughout their undergraduate years and into their postgraduate career, and to evaluate which factors may influence career choice intentions, and when this happens, over time. Design: Longitudinal study.
- Does community-based experience alter career preference? New evidence from a prospective longitudinal cohort study of undergraduate medical studentsA Howe
Institute of General Practice and Primary Care, Community Sciences Centre, University of Sheffield, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Med Educ 35:391-7. 2001....
- [Young physicians' view on factors that increase the attractiveness of general practice]B Buddeberg-Fischer
Psychosoziale Medizin, Universitatsspital Zurich, Haldenbachstrasse 18 8091 Zürich, Schweiz
Gesundheitswesen 70:123-8. 2008....
- [Family and career planning in young physicians]Barbara Buddeberg-Fischer
Abteilung Psychosoziale Medizin, Universitatsspital Zurich, Zurich, Schweiz
Gynakol Geburtshilfliche Rundsch 48:234-40. 2008..The study investigates in what way physicians integrate their desire to have children into their career planning...
- Rural intentions: factors affecting the career choices of family medicine graduatesDiane J Lu
Department of Family Medicine at University of Calgary in Alberta
Can Fam Physician 54:1016-1017.e5. 2008..To investigate the reasons for family medicine graduates' career choices...
- [Occupational decisions of young physicians and possible future consequences for the provision of medical care. Results of an anonymous questionnaire]K Gensch
Bayerisches Staatsinstitut für Hochschulforschung und Hochschulplanung
Gesundheitswesen 69:359-70. 2007..This study was undertaken following a request of the Bavarian Ministry of Sciences, Research and the Arts to analyse the future provision in different occupational areas...
- Impact of desire to work in underserved communities on selection of specialty among fourth-year medical studentsMohsen Bazargan
Department of Family Medicine, Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, 1731 E 120th St, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 98:1460-5. 2006..Special attention is given to the influence of desire to work in underserved communities on selection of a specialty...
- Surgery or general medicine--a study of the reasons underlying the choice of medical specialtyPatrícia Lacerda Bellodi
Hospital da Clínicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 122:81-6. 2004..The reality of medical services in Brazil points towards expansion and diversification of medical knowledge. However, there are few Brazilian studies on choosing a medical specialty...
- Medical specialty prestige and lifestyle preferences for medical studentsPeter A Creed
School of Psychology, Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus, Qld 4222, Australia
Soc Sci Med 71:1084-8. 2010..Having access to and understanding these rankings will assist career counsellors to aid student and junior doctor decision-making and aid workforce planners to address gaps in medical specialty health services...
- Medical students' attitudes to modernising medical careers: will it affect training or career choice?M F Nixon
Department of Orthopaedics, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 67:M126-9. 2006
- General pediatrics resident perspectives on training decisions and career choiceGary L Freed
Child Health Evaluation and Research Unit, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0456, USA
Pediatrics 123:S26-30. 2009....
- Factors influencing the choice of specialty among medical students in LebanonBeatrice Khater-Menassa
Department of Family Medicine, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Lebanon
J Med Liban 53:16-20. 2005..schools in Lebanon to identify the proportions who select primary care careers, to highlight factors that are considered when making a career choice, and to compare these among primary care (PC) and non-primary care (NPC) candidates.
- Who does become an internist?P M J Stuyt
Department of General Internal Medicine, UMC St Radboud, PO Box 91o01, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 62:98-101. 2004....
- The subspecialization rate of third year internal medicine residents from 1992 through 1998Louis J Grosso
American Board of Internal Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106 3699, USA
Teach Learn Med 16:7-13. 2004..S. physician workforce size and the proportion of generalists versus specialists have long been debated. Difficulty collecting reliable data and varying methodologies complicate clear analysis of workforce questions...
- Educational debt and reported career plans among internal medicine residentsFurman S McDonald
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Intern Med 149:416-20. 2008..Physicians often enter the workplace with substantial debt. The relationship between debt and reported career plans among internal medicine residents is unknown...
- [Perspectives and challenges to guarantee training and renewal in general internal medicine]G Waeber
Service de Medecine Interne, Departement de Medecine Interne, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 5:232-6. 2009..In this article we will approach these challenges by formulating some proposals--nonexhaustive--in order to guarantee sufficient renewal in general internal medicine...
- Career goals of trainee physicians in internal medicineMuhammad Junaid Patel
Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 18:352-6. 2008..To survey Internal Medicine trainees' future career choices and factors influencing their decision-making...
- Internal medicine resident perceptions of optimal training durationKris G Thomas
Division of Primary Care Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Acad Med 82:996-9. 2007..To describe internal medicine residents' opinions regarding the optimal duration of internal medicine residency training, and to assess whether these opinions are associated with specific career interests...
- Perceptions of family medicine and career choice among first year medical students: a cross-sectional survey in a Turkish medical schoolAlis Ozcakir
Department of Family Medicine, Uludag University School of Medicine, Bursa, Turkey
Coll Antropol 31:595-600. 2007..Greater undergraduate exposure to family medicine is needed in order to increase knowledge of the field and influence student career choices...
- A new model to understand the career choice and practice location decisions of medical graduatesP Stagg
Flinders University Rural Clinical School, Renmark, South Australia, Australia
Rural Remote Health 9:1245. 2009..The aim of this research was to identify what factors influence the career choices of PRCC graduates...
- Becoming a GP--a qualitative study of the career interests of medical studentsHelen Tolhurst
University of Newcastle, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 34:204-6. 2005..The factors influencing medical students toward general practice as a career choice are poorly understood, even though this is important to the makeup of the medical workforce.
- [Job satisfaction and prospects of internal medicine specialists in Austria--an analysis of the profession]Rudolf Puchner
Zentrum für Management und Qualität im Gesundheitswesen, Donau Universität Krems, Krems, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:503-11. 2007..In the second half of the 20th century the medical profession has changed considerably. "The golden age of medicine" seems to be over. This study analyses job satisfaction and prospects of Austrian physicians in the twenty-first century...
- Motivation to pursue surgical subspecialty training: is there a gender difference?Jaime H McCord
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
J Am Coll Surg 205:698-703. 2007..Few studies have examined whether women and men identify the same factors as important in choosing their specialty. We sought to evaluate whether the factors influencing residents' choice of surgical specialty differed by gender...
- Career choices for paediatrics: national surveys of graduates of 1974-2002 from UK medical schoolsG Turner
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Department of Public Health, Oxford University, Old Road Campus, Oxford, UK
Child Care Health Dev 33:340-6. 2007..Knowledge of UK doctors' career intentions and pathways is essential for understanding future workforce requirements. The aim of this study was to report career choices for and career progression in paediatrics in the UK...
- Does a clerkship in psychiatry contribute to changing medical students' attitudes towards psychiatry?Tsvi Fischel
Geha Mental Health Center, Helsinky 1, Petach Tikva, 97222, Israel
Acad Psychiatry 32:147-50. 2008..clerkship is perceived as an intervention point in medical students' attitude toward psychiatry and career choice after graduation...
- Career choices made for the hospital medical specialties by graduates from UK medical schools, 1974-2005Michael J Goldacre
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Department of Public Health, Oxford University
Clin Med 9:42-8. 2009..This uncertainty needs to be considered by those planning postgraduate medical education for the hospital medical specialties, particularly now that postgraduate training in the UK has become much more structured...
- Attitudes toward psychiatry among final-year medical students in kumasi, ghanaRichard Laugharne
Peninsula Medical School, Mental Health Research Group, Wonford House Hospital, Exeter, Devon EX2 5AD, United Kingdom
Acad Psychiatry 33:71-5. 2009..The authors evaluated the attitudes toward a career in psychiatry of final-year medical students in Kumasi, Ghana, and compare these with attitudes of medical students in Spain and the United States...
- Factors considered by medical students when formulating their specialty preferences in Japan: findings from a qualitative studyPriya Saigal
University of Michigan Medical School, M4101 MSI Box 0624, 1301 Catherine Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
BMC Med Educ 7:31. 2007..Little research addresses how medical students develop their choice of specialty training in Japan. The purpose of this research was to elucidate factors considered by Japanese medical students when formulating their specialty choice...
- Free choice and career choice: Clerkship electives in medical educationTanis Mihalynuk
Faculty of Medicine, Undergraduate Education, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Med Educ 40:1065-71. 2006Medical education experiences, particularly in clinical years, are reported determinants of career choice. Less is known about features of clinical education experiences including length, discipline, setting and choice, which may serve ..
- Gender-related differences in general practice preferences: longitudinal evidence from the Netherlands 1982-2001Tanja Mayorova
Faculty of Medicine, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
Health Policy 72:73-80. 2005..Also, as many female GPs abstain from practicing after having finished a vocational GP training program it will be essential to create work facilities to keep them available for the GP labour market...
- Views of doctors in training on the importance and availability of career advice in UK medicineTrevor W Lambert
Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Med Educ 41:460-6. 2007....
- The attractions of medicine: the generic motivations of medical school applicants in relation to demography, personality and achievementI C McManus
Department of Psychology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
BMC Med Educ 6:11. 2006....
- Why are you draining your brain? Factors underlying decisions of graduating Lebanese medical students to migrateElie A Akl
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, ECMC CC 142, 462 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY 14215, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:1278-84. 2007..The marketing of abroad training and the culture of migration are prevalent in the academic institutions...
- Person-oriented versus technique-oriented specialties: early preferences and eventual choiceR Stephen Manuel
Office of Admissions and Student Affairs, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0552, USA
Med Educ Online 14:4. 2009....
- Career progression and destinations, comparing men and women in the NHS: postal questionnaire surveysKathryn S Taylor
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Oxford University, Oxford, OX3 7LF
BMJ 338:b1735. 2009..To study the career progression of NHS doctors, comparing men and women...
- Career-success scale - a new instrument to assess young physicians' academic career stepsBarbara Buddeberg-Fischer
Department of Psychosocial Medicine, Zurich University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Health Serv Res 8:120. 2008..Furthermore the influence of personality factors, the participants' personal situation, and career related factors on their career success was investigated...
- Institutional Training Program in Oral Health ResearchChristopher Squier; Fiscal Year: 2007..summer experiences before entering dental school, short-term training during dental school that will influence career choice, training at the MS and PhD level and postdoctoral experience that will have an impact on the development of ..
- MINORITY PROGRAM FOR SOCIETY OF TOXICOLOGY MEETINGJOSE MANAUTOU; Fiscal Year: 2007..programs and undergraduate science departments by providing focused information on toxicology as a biomedical career choice. Progress toward these goals will be evaluated via the use of several evaluation tools including; student and ..
- 31st Pediatric Nephrology SeminarJOSE STRAUSS; Fiscal Year: 2005..First, and foremost, is to stimulate interest in pediatric nephrology as a career choice. This is accomplished by actively encouraging the attendance of young trainees who have evidenced an interest ..
- Short-term Training Students-Health Professional SchoolsKENNETH CIUFFREDA; Fiscal Year: 2006..this experience will foster an interest in them to include vision research as one critical component of their career choice. In the most favorable scenario, they may then wish to enter our combined O.D./M.S. or O.D./Ph.D...
- NIMH-COR Honors High School Research Education GrantPamela Banks; Fiscal Year: 2005..to stimulate interest and motivation among high school students from racial/ethnic minority groups to make a career choice in science disciplines related to mental health. Four high school students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (4...
- Addiction Counseling: Career Paths & ProfessionalizationDiana Wall; Fiscal Year: 2002..with addictions counselors in order to gather information regarding the interviewer's understanding of their career choice and the training process...
- Climbing Up and Reaching Back: Ladder of Support for Research Careers in BiomedicSTEPHANIE TIMMONS BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010..RELEVANCE: This project will help to clarify the decision-making processes regarding college education and career choice of high achieving high school students in underserved communities...
- STD/HIV RESEARCH TRAINING FOR MINORITY STUDENTSWARREN ASHE; Fiscal Year: 2007..still engaged in their post graduate training, preliminary data indicate that a number have made this their career choice. Support for nine (9) trainees per/year for five (5) years is being requested...
- HARVARD-LONGWOOD RESEARCH TRAINING IN VASCULAR SURGERYFrank Logerfo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Selection of the trainees is based on candidates' demonstrated ability and career choice of academic practice. Applicants are resident physicians who have completed two, three or five years (i.e...
- Student Research: Stimulus for Academic Research CareersDerrick Beech; Fiscal Year: 2007..through the residency match selection process, and track the students through residency training and ultimate career choice. 5...