Genomes and Genes
Summary: The state wherein the person is well adjusted.
Publications376 found, 100 shown here
- The British Child and Adolescent Mental Health Survey 1999: the prevalence of DSM-IV disordersTamsin Ford
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, Denmark Hill, London SE58AF, England
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 42:1203-11. 2003..To describe the prevalence of DSM-IV disorders and comorbidity in a large population-based sample of British children and adolescents...
- Association of torture and other potentially traumatic events with mental health outcomes among populations exposed to mass conflict and displacement: a systematic review and meta-analysisZachary Steel
Psychiatry Research and Teaching Unit, School of Psychiatry, University New South Wales, Liverpool New South Wales, Australia
JAMA 302:537-49. 2009....
- Physical activity and mental health in children and adolescents: a review of reviewsStuart J H Biddle
Physical Activity and Public Health, School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 3TU, UK
Br J Sports Med 45:886-95. 2011..reviews investigating physical activity and depression, anxiety, self-esteem and cognitive functioning in children and adolescents and to assess the association between sedentary behaviour and mental health by performing a brief review.
- A compilation of strategies for implementing clinical innovations in health and mental healthByron J Powell
George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Med Care Res Rev 69:123-57. 2012..and implement evidence-based treatments have been prioritized in order to improve the quality of health and mental health care delivery...
- Social ties and mental healthI Kawachi
The Department of Health and Social Behavior, Harvard Center for Society and Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Urban Health 78:458-67. 2001..In this targeted review, we highlight four sets of insights that emerge from the literature on social ties and mental health outcomes (defined as stress reactions, psychological well-being, and psychological distress, including ..
- The Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Well-being Scale (WEMWBS): development and UK validationRuth Tennant
Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Health Qual Life Outcomes 5:63. 2007..Demand for instruments to monitor mental well-being at a population level and evaluate mental health promotion initiatives is growing...
- Psychosocial work environment and mental health--a meta-analytic reviewStephen Stansfeld
Centre for Psychiatry, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Joseph Rotblat Building, Barts and London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London EC1 6BQ, United Kindom
Scand J Work Environ Health 32:443-62. 2006....
- Mechanisms linking social ties and support to physical and mental healthPeggy A Thoits
Department of Sociology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
J Health Soc Behav 52:145-61. 2011....
- A prospective study of diet quality and mental health in adolescentsFelice N Jacka
Barwon Psychiatric Research Unit, Deakin University, Geelong, Australia
PLoS ONE 6:e24805. 2011..However, there are no existing prospective studies of this association in adolescents, the onset period of most disorders, limiting inferences regarding possible causal relationships...
- Change in level of positive mental health as a predictor of future risk of mental illnessCorey L M Keyes
Department of Sociology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Public Health 100:2366-71. 2010We sought to describe the prevalence of mental health and illness, the stability of both diagnoses over time, and whether changes in mental health level predicted mental illness in a cohort group.
- Life expectancy at birth for people with serious mental illness and other major disorders from a secondary mental health care case register in LondonChin Kuo Chang
King s College London Institute of Psychiatry, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e19590. 2011..The electronic database from a large and comprehensive secondary mental healthcare provider in London was utilized to assess the impact of SMI diagnoses on life expectancy at birth...
- Mental health and quality of life survey among child survivors of the 2008 Sichuan earthquakeZhaobao Jia
Faculty of Health Service, Second Military Medical University, 200433, Shanghai, China
Qual Life Res 19:1381-91. 2010To characterize child survivors' mental health and quality of life after a massive earthquake.
- Psychological and physical well-being during unemployment: a meta-analytic studyFrances McKee-Ryan
Department of Management, Marketing, and International Business, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
J Appl Psychol 90:53-76. 2005..mature unemployed) moderated the relationship between mental health and unemployment, but the current unemployment rate and the amount of unemployment benefits did not...
- Scale up of services for mental health in low-income and middle-income countriesJulian Eaton
CBM International, Abuja, Nigeria
Lancet 378:1592-603. 2011..One response to this issue has been the call to scale up mental health services...
- Population-based cohort study of incident and persistent arm pain: role of mental health, self-rated health and health beliefsK T Palmer
MRC Epidemiology Resource Centre, Community Clinical Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, England SO16 6YD, UK
Pain 136:30-7. 2008..At baseline questions were asked about pain in the arm (lasting >or=1day in the prior 12months), mental health (Short-Form 36 (SF-36MH)), somatising tendency (the Brief Symptom Inventory (BSI)), SRH, and beliefs about ..
- Is physical activity in natural environments better for mental health than physical activity in other environments?Richard Mitchell
Centre for Research on Environment, Society and Health, Institute of Health and Wellbeing, University of Glasgow, 1, Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G20 0TY, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 91:130-4. 2013..of contact with a natural environment; physical activity in a natural environment might produce greater mental health benefits than physical activity elsewhere...
- The mental health risks of economic crisis in Spain: evidence from primary care centres, 2006 and 2010Margalida Gili
Institut Universitari d Investigacio en Ciencies de la Salut IUNICS, University of Balearic Islands, 07122 Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Eur J Public Health 23:103-8. 2013..We investigated the associations of the recession on the frequency of mood, anxiety, somatoform, alcohol-related and eating disorders among those visiting Spanish primary care settings...
- Mental disorders in megacities: findings from the São Paulo megacity mental health survey, BrazilLaura Helena Andrade
Section of Psychiatric Epidemiology LIM 23, Department and Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
PLoS ONE 7:e31879. 2012..We examined socio-demographic correlates, aspects of urban living such as internal migration, exposure to violence, and neighborhood-level social deprivation with 12-month mental disorders...
- The association between tinnitus and mental health in a general population sample: results from the HUNT StudyNorun Hjertager Krog
Division of Mental Health, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
J Psychosom Res 69:289-98. 2010Clinical studies indicate a strong association between tinnitus and mental health, but results from general population data are missing...
- Mental health and well-being within rural communities: the Australian rural mental health studyBrian J Kelly
Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health, University of Newcastle, Orange, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 18:16-24. 2010This paper outlines the methods and baseline data from a multisite cohort study of the determinants and outcomes of mental health and well-being within rural and remote communities.
- Mental health and disclosure of HIV status in Zambian adolescents with HIV infection: implications for peer-support programsAnitha Menon
Department of Psychology, University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:349-54. 2007To examine emotional and behavioural difficulties in HIV positive Zambian adolescents and to determine the relationship between disclosure of HIV status and mental health.
- What is the best dose of nature and green exercise for improving mental health? A multi-study analysisJo Barton
Interdisciplinary Centre for Environment and Society, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U K
Environ Sci Technol 44:3947-55. 2010..regime of dose(s) of acute exposure to green exercise required to improve self-esteem and mood (indicators of mental health). The research used meta-analysis methodology to analyze 10 UK studies involving 1252 participants...
- Longitudinal assessment of mental health problems among active and reserve component soldiers returning from the Iraq warCharles S Milliken
Division of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
JAMA 298:2141-8. 2007To promote early identification of mental health problems among combat veterans, the Department of Defense initiated population-wide screening at 2 time points, immediately on return from deployment and 3 to 6 months later...
- Urinary incontinence and its relationship to mental health and health-related quality of life in men and women in Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United StatesKarin S Coyne
United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Eur Urol 61:88-95. 2012..Additional research is needed to examine the prevalence and burden of UI subtype including postmicturition incontinence, nocturnal enuresis, coital incontinence, and incontinence for unspecified reasons...
- Employment status is associated with both physical and mental health quality of life in people living with HIVSergio Rueda
Mental Health Service, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
AIDS Care 23:435-43. 2011..We performed regression analyses to evaluate the contribution of employment status to the physical and mental health components of quality of life (QOL)...
- Mental health promotion as a new goal in public mental health care: a randomized controlled trial of an intervention enhancing psychological flexibilityMartine Fledderus
Department of Psychology and Communication of Health and Risk, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Am J Public Health 100:2372. 2010We assessed whether an intervention based on acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) and mindfulness was successful in promoting positive mental health by enhancing psychological flexibility.
- Identifying psychosocial interventions that improve both physical and mental health in patients with diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysisElaine Harkness
National Institute for Health Research School for Primary Care Research, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Diabetes Care 33:926-30. 2010Patients with diabetes suffer high rates of mental health problems, and this combination is associated with poor outcomes...
- Stepped care for maternal mental health: a case study of the perinatal mental health project in South AfricaSimone Honikman
Perinatal Mental Health Project, The Alan J Flisher Centre for Public Mental Health, University of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
PLoS Med 9:e1001222. 2012As one article in a series on Global Mental Health Practice, Simone Honikman and colleagues from South Africa provide a case study of the Perinatal Mental Health Project, which delivered mental health care to pregnant women in a ..
- Climate change and mental health: a causal pathways frameworkHelen Louise Berry
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, College of Medicine, Biology and Environment, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Int J Public Health 55:123-32. 2010..change will bring more frequent, long lasting and severe adverse weather events and these changes will affect mental health. We propose an explanatory framework to enhance consideration of how these effects may operate and to ..
- Place of death: correlations with quality of life of patients with cancer and predictors of bereaved caregivers' mental healthAlexi A Wright
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:4457-64. 2010..To determine whether the place of death for patients with cancer is associated with patients' quality of life (QoL) at the end of life (EOL) and psychiatric disorders in bereaved caregivers...
- Mental health and HIV sexual risk behavior among patrons of alcohol serving venues in Cape Town, South AfricaKathleen J Sikkema
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 57:230-7. 2011..Understanding the association between mental health and risk behaviors in these settings may inform interventions that address alcohol use and HIV prevention.
- MicroRNAs in mental health: from biological underpinnings to potential therapiesJoshua G Hunsberger
Laboratory of Molecular Pathophysiology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Building 35, 1C912, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuromolecular Med 11:173-82. 2009..Clearly, considerable research is required to better determine any therapeutic potential of targeting miRNAs; however, these agents may provide the next generation of effective therapies for psychiatric illnesses...
- Predisplacement and postdisplacement factors associated with mental health of refugees and internally displaced persons: a meta-analysisMatthew Porter
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, Department of Pediatric Psychiatry, New York, NY 10032, USA
JAMA 294:602-12. 2005..To date, no empirical synthesis of research on these issues has been undertaken...
- War exposure, daily stressors, and mental health in conflict and post-conflict settings: bridging the divide between trauma-focused and psychosocial frameworksKenneth E Miller
Harvard School of Public Health, Research Program on Children and Global Adversity, Francois Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights, 651 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Soc Sci Med 70:7-16. 2010..divisive split between advocates of trauma-focused and psychosocial approaches to understanding and addressing mental health needs in conflict and post-conflict settings by emphasizing the role that daily stressors play in mediating ..
- Associations between end-of-life discussions, patient mental health, medical care near death, and caregiver bereavement adjustmentAlexi A Wright
Department of Medical Oncology and Center for Psycho Oncology and Palliative Care Research, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 550 Shields Warren, 44 Binney St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
JAMA 300:1665-73. 2008..Talking about death can be difficult. Without evidence that end-of-life discussions improve patient outcomes, physicians must balance their desire to honor patient autonomy against a concern of inflicting psychological harm...
- Risky families: family social environments and the mental and physical health of offspringRena L Repetti
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1563, USA
Psychol Bull 128:330-66. 2002..This integrated biobehavioral profile leads to consequent accumulating risk for mental health disorders, major chronic diseases, and early mortality...
- Social disconnectedness, perceived isolation, and health among older adultsErin York Cornwell
Department of Sociology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Health Soc Behav 50:31-48. 2009..extent to which social disconnectedness and perceived isolation have distinct associations with physical and mental health among older adults...
- Twelve-month prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts in the World Health Organization World Mental Health SurveysGuilherme Borges
National Institute of Psychiatry, Mexico City, Mexico
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1617-28. 2010....
- Measuring well-being rather than the absence of distress symptoms: a comparison of the SF-36 Mental Health subscale and the WHO-Five Well-Being ScalePer Bech
Psychiatric Research Unit, Frederiksborg General Hospital, Hillerod, Denmark
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 12:85-91. 2003The health status questionnaire Short-Form 36 (SF-36) includes subscales measuring both physical health and mental health. Psychometrically, the mental health subscale contains a mixture of mental symptoms and psychological well-being ..
- Mental health of Cambodian refugees 2 decades after resettlement in the United StatesGrant N Marshall
RAND, Santa Monica, Calif 90407, USA
JAMA 294:571-9. 2005Little is known about the long-term mental health of trauma-exposed refugees years after permanent resettlement in host countries.
- Violence against women by their intimate partner during pregnancy and postnatal depression: a prospective cohort studyAna Bernarda Ludermir
Programa de Pós Graduação Integrado em Saúde Coletiva, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Hospital das Clinicas, Cidade Universitaria, Recife, PE, Brazil
Lancet 376:903-10. 2010Partner violence against women is common during pregnancy and might have an adverse effect on the mental health of women after delivery...
- Postpartum mental health screening and diagnosis by obstetrician-gynecologistsMeaghan Leddy
Department of Research, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington, DC 20024, USA
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 32:27-34. 2011..Ob-gyns are screening for PPD/PPP, though not universally so. Future research should identify ways to mitigate screening barriers...
- Exploring the associations between intimate partner violence and women's mental health: evidence from a population-based study in ParaguayKanako Ishida
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy, NE Mail Stop K 23, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Soc Sci Med 71:1653-61. 2010..Health, we examine the association between emotional, physical, and sexual intimate partner violence (IPV) and mental health among women aged 15-44 years who have ever been married or in a consensual union...
- Change in mental health after smoking cessation: systematic review and meta-analysisGemma Taylor
School of Health and Population Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
BMJ 348:g1151. 2014To investigate change in mental health after smoking cessation compared with continuing to smoke.
- Lifestyle and mental healthRoger Walsh
University of California, Irvine College of Medicine, 92697 1675, USA
Am Psychol 66:579-92. 2011b>Mental health professionals have significantly underestimated the importance of lifestyle factors (a) as contributors to and treatments for multiple psychopathologies, (b) for fostering individual and social well-being, and (c) for ..
- Association between fear of crime and mental health and physical functioningMai Stafford
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, London, UK
Am J Public Health 97:2076-81. 2007..Studies have reported an inverse association between fear of crime and subjective mental and physical health. We investigated the direction of causality and the curtailment of physical and social activities as a possible mediating pathway...
- A meta-analysis of pathological gaming prevalence and comorbidity with mental health, academic and social problemsChristopher J Ferguson
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Texas A and M International University, Laredo, TX 78041, USA
J Psychiatr Res 45:1573-8. 2011b>Mental health professionals, policy makers and the general public continue to debate the issue of pathological video gaming. Scholars disagree on the prevalence and diagnostic criteria for this potential new disorder...
- Does violence affect one gender more than the other? The mental health impact of violence among male and female university studentsPatrizia Romito
Department of Psychology, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Soc Sci Med 65:1222-34. 2007..b>Mental health outcomes included: depression, panic attacks, heavy alcohol use, eating problems, suicidal ideation and ..
- Crime, fear of crime, environment, and mental health and wellbeing: mapping review of theories and causal pathwaysTheo Lorenc
Department of Social and Environmental Health Research, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 15 17 Tavistock Place, London WC1H 9SH, UK
Health Place 18:757-65. 2012..The framework also helps to identify unexpected factors which may affect intervention success, such as the risk of adverse effects from crime prevention interventions as a result of raising awareness of crime...
- Youth, sexual risk-taking behavior, and mental health: a study of university students in UgandaAnette Agardh
Social Medicine and Global Health, Department of Clinical Sciences Malmo, Lund University, CRC, Entrance 72, Malmo University Hospital, 205 02, Malmo, Sweden
Int J Behav Med 19:208-16. 2012Little focus has been paid to the role of mental health among young people with regard to risky sexual behavior and HIV prevention in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Conceptual framework for personal recovery in mental health: systematic review and narrative synthesisMary Leamy
King s College London, Health Service and Population Research Department Box P029, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, UK
Br J Psychiatry 199:445-52. 2011..No systematic review and narrative synthesis on personal recovery in mental illness has been undertaken...
- The effect of physical multimorbidity, mental health conditions and socioeconomic deprivation on unplanned admissions to hospital: a retrospective cohort studyRupert A Payne
Cambridge Centre for Health Services Research, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
CMAJ 185:E221-8. 2013..Furthermore, socioeconomic deprivation and mental health comorbidity may lead to additional unplanned admissions...
- Screening for mood and anxiety disorders with the five-item, the three-item, and the two-item Mental Health InventoryPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatry Res 168:250-5. 2009The Mental Health Inventory (MHI)-5 is an attractive, brief screening questionnaire for depression and anxiety disorders...
- Multilevel analyses of neighbourhood socioeconomic context and health outcomes: a critical reviewK E Pickett
Department of Health Studies, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 2007, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 55:111-22. 2001..Multilevel or contextual analyses of social factors and health represent a possible reconciliation between two divergent epidemiological paradigms-individual risk factor epidemiology and an ecological approach...
- Resilience and mental healthDmitry M Davydov
Moscow Research Centre of Narcology, Russia
Clin Psychol Rev 30:479-95. 2010The relationship between disease and good health has received relatively little attention in mental health. Resilience can be viewed as a defence mechanism, which enables people to thrive in the face of adversity and improving resilience ..
- Mental health problems among children one-year after Sichuan earthquake in China: a follow-up studyMingxin Liu
Key Laboratory of Mental Health, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 6:e14706. 2011..The main purpose of the study was to provide a better understanding of mental health problems and associated risk factors among children after earthquake.
- Neuroscience, molecular biology, and the childhood roots of health disparities: building a new framework for health promotion and disease preventionJack P Shonkoff
Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University, 50 Church St, Fourth Floor, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
JAMA 301:2252-9. 2009..From both basic research and policy perspectives, confronting the origins of disparities in physical and mental health early in life may produce greater effects than attempting to modify health-related behaviors or improve access ..
- Mental health and psychosocial support in humanitarian settings: linking practice and researchWietse A Tol
Global Health Initiative, MacMillan Center, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8206, USA
Lancet 378:1581-91. 2011This review links practice, funding, and evidence for interventions for mental health and psychosocial wellbeing in humanitarian settings...
- Positive psychological well-being and mortality: a quantitative review of prospective observational studiesYoichi Chida
Psychobiology Group, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Psychosom Med 70:741-56. 2008..Recent years have witnessed increased interest in the relationship between positive psychological well-being and physical health...
- Associations of neighbourhood greenness with physical and mental health: do walking, social coherence and local social interaction explain the relationships?T Sugiyama
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:e9. 2008..Studies have shown associations between health indices and access to "green" environments but the underlying mechanisms of this association are not clear...
- Canadian normative data for the SF-36 health survey. Canadian Multicentre Osteoporosis Study Research GroupW M Hopman
MacKenzie Health Services Research Group, Queen s University, Kingston, Ont
CMAJ 163:265-71. 2000..Published norms for the SF-36 exist for other countries but have not been previously published for Canada...
- Childhood cognitive ability and adult mental health in the British 1946 birth cohortStephani L Hatch
Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:2285-96. 2007We examined whether childhood cognitive ability was associated with two mental health outcomes at age 53 years: the 28 item General Health Questionnaire (GHQ-28) as a measure of internalising symptoms of anxiety and depression, and the ..
- Obesity among those with mental disorders: a National Institute of Mental Health meeting reportDavid B Allison
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:341-50. 2009The National Institute of Mental Health convened a meeting in October 2005 to review the literature on obesity, nutrition, and physical activity among those with mental disorders...
- Unemployment and mental health: understanding the interactions among gender, family roles, and social classLucia Artazcoz
Department of Experimental Sciences and Health, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, and the Agència de Salut Pública de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Public Health 94:82-8. 2004We examined gender differences in the effects of unemployment on mental health and assessed whether such effects are associated with interactions among gender, family roles, and social class.
- Social capital, socio-economic status and psychological distress among Australian adultsPhilayrath Phongsavan
University of Sydney, Australia
Soc Sci Med 63:2546-61. 2006High levels of social capital may be associated with positive mental health in adults. However, quantifying the various dimensions of social capital has presented a challenge due in part to the diverse definitions and measures used...
- Trends and risk factors for mental health diagnoses among Iraq and Afghanistan veterans using Department of Veterans Affairs health care, 2002-2008Karen H Seal
San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1651-8. 2009We sought to investigate longitudinal trends and risk factors for mental health diagnoses among Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.
- The prevalence, distribution, and mental health correlates of perceived discrimination in the United StatesR C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Health Soc Behav 40:208-30. 1999..discrimination and day-to-day perceived discrimination; the associations between perceived discrimination and mental health; and the extent to which differential exposure and differential emotional reactivity to perceived ..
- Technology-based interventions for mental health in tertiary students: systematic reviewLouise Farrer
Centre for Mental Health Research, The Australian National University, Canberra ACT, Australia
J Med Internet Res 15:e101. 2013..However, many universities have limited resources available to support student mental health. Technology-based interventions may be highly relevant to university populations...
- Mental health among older adults in Japan: do sources of social support and negative interaction make a difference?Hideki Okabayashi
Department of Psychology, Meisei University, 2 1 1 Hodokubo, Hino City, Tokyo 191 8506, Japan
Soc Sci Med 59:2259-70. 2004..e., spouse, children, and other relatives and friends) have differential impact on mental health. Data for this research came from a national probability sample of 2200 persons aged 60 and over in Japan...
- A multi-institutional study exploring the impact of positive mental health on medical students' professionalism in an era of high burnoutLiselotte N Dyrbye
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55906, USA
Acad Med 87:1024-31. 2012..burnout is associated with erosion of professionalism and serious personal consequences, whether positive mental health can enhance professionalism and how it shapes personal experience remain poorly understood...
- Gender differences in physical and mental health outcomes among an aging cohort of individuals with a history of heroin dependenceChristine E Grella
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles, 11075 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 100, Los Angeles, CA 90025 7535, United States
Addict Behav 37:306-12. 2012..This paper examines the health status and functioning of an aging cohort of individuals with a history of heroin dependence with a focus on gender differences...
- Workplace-based work disability prevention interventions for workers with common mental health conditions: a review of the literatureGeorgia Pomaki
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
J Occup Rehabil 22:182-95. 2012To summarize evidence on workplace-based work disability prevention (WDP) interventions in workers with common mental health conditions (CMHCs)...
- The effects of parent-child relationships on later life mental health status in two national birth cohortsZ Morgan
Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 47:1707-15. 2012..In the face of growing interest in mental health promotion, it is important to establish the impact of this potentially remediable risk factor.
- Employment transitions and mental health: an analysis from the British household panel surveyClaudia Thomas
Department of Geography, Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 59:243-9. 2005..To describe the impact of changes between employment and various forms of non-employment, and vice versa, on the psychological wellbeing of men and of women...
- The Norwegian Institute of Public Health twin study of mental health: examining recruitment and attrition biasKristian Tambs
The Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Division of Mental Health, Oslo, Norway
Twin Res Hum Genet 12:158-68. 2009..Almost all pairs having participated in the 1998 study were invited to an interview study of mental health (MHS), taking place 1999-2004. 1,391 complete pairs (44%) participated...
- Stigma and help seeking for mental health among college studentsDaniel Eisenberg
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Med Care Res Rev 66:522-41. 2009Mental illness stigma has been identified by national policy makers as an important barrier to help seeking for mental health. Using a random sample of 5,555 students from a diverse set of 13 universities, we conducted one of the first ..
- Mental health, substance use and suicidal behaviour among young indigenous people in the Arctic: a systematic reviewVenla Lehti
Department of Child Psychiatry, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Soc Sci Med 69:1194-203. 2009..We conducted a systematic literature review with regard to epidemiological mental health research on Arctic indigenous children and adolescents...
- Substance use and mental health trends among U.S. military active duty personnel: key findings from the 2008 DoD Health Behavior SurveyRobert M Bray
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Mil Med 175:390-9. 2010Examine substance use and mental health issues among U.S. military personnel.
- Serotonergic transcriptional networks and potential importance to mental healthEvan S Deneris
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Nat Neurosci 15:519-27. 2012....
- Mental health and psychosocial support in crisis and conflict: report of the Mental Health Working GroupK Allden
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Prehosp Disaster Med 24:s217-27. 2009The Working Group on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support was convened as part of the 2009 Harvard Humanitarian Action Summit...
- Violence, suffering, and mental health in Afghanistan: a school-based surveyCatherine Panter-Brick
Department of Anthropology, Durham University, Durham, UK
Lancet 374:807-16. 2009Studies in Afghanistan have shown substantial mental health problems in adults. We did a survey of young people (11-16 years old) in the country to assess mental health, traumatic experiences, and social functioning.
- A population survey of mental health problems in children with epilepsySharon Davies
Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK
Dev Med Child Neurol 45:292-5. 2003The 1999 British Child and Adolescent Mental Health Survey, a nationwide epidemiological study of rates of psychiatric disorder in children aged 5 to 15 years, provided the opportunity to investigate the mental health of children with ..
- Reducing premature infants' length of stay and improving parents' mental health outcomes with the Creating Opportunities for Parent Empowerment (COPE) neonatal intensive care unit program: a randomized, controlled trialBernadette Mazurek Melnyk
Arizona State University College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation, 500 N 3rd St, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
Pediatrics 118:e1414-27. 2006..program (ie, Creating Opportunities for Parent Empowerment) that was designed to enhance parent-infant interactions and parent mental health outcomes for the ultimate purpose of improving child developmental and behavior outcomes.
- Mental Health First Aid: an international programme for early interventionBetty A Kitchener
ORYGEN Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Early Interv Psychiatry 2:55-61. 2008To describe the development of the Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) programme in Australia, its roll-out in other countries and evaluation studies which have been carried out.
- Gender differences in long-term health consequences of physical abuse of children: data from a nationally representative surveyMartie P Thompson
Department of Public Health Sciences, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634 0745, USA
Am J Public Health 94:599-604. 2004..This study investigated the effects of physical abuse in childhood on health problems in adulthood and assessed gender differences in these associations...
- The health and productivity cost burden of the "top 10" physical and mental health conditions affecting six large U.S. employers in 1999Ron Z Goetzel
Institute for Health and Productivity Studies, Cornell University, USA
J Occup Environ Med 45:5-14. 2003..and short term disability data at the patient level was analyzed to uncover the most costly physical and mental health conditions affecting American businesses...
- Do psychosocial variables predict weight loss or mental health after obesity surgery? A systematic reviewS Herpertz
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, Westfälische Klinik Dortmund, Ruhr University Bochum, Marsbruchstrasse 179, 44287 Dortmund, Germany
Obes Res 12:1554-69. 2004..this study was to present a systematic review of psychological and psychosocial predictors of weight loss and mental health after bariatric surgery...
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Healthy Days Measures - population tracking of perceived physical and mental health over timeDavid G Moriarty
US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control, Division of Adult and Community Health, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:37. 2003..HRQOL was defined as "perceived physical and mental health over time...
- Working shifts and mental health--findings from the British Household Panel Survey (1995-2005)Ana Claudia Bara
Centre for Research on Ageing and Gender, Department of Sociology, University of Surrey, Guildford, United Kingdom
Scand J Work Environ Health 35:361-7. 2009Our objective was to examine the impact of shift work on mental health at the population level. We expected that this impact would depend on duration of exposure, type of shift work, and gender.
- Domestic violence and mental healthLouise M Howard
Health Service and Population Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, De Crespigny Park, London, UK
Int Rev Psychiatry 22:525-34. 2010There are clear gender differences in the experience of domestic violence and associated mental health outcomes. There is also increasing evidence of chronic, severe and often long-term adverse mental health effects for victims...
- Abusive experiences and psychiatric morbidity in women primary care attendersJeremy Coid
Department of Psychiatry, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, UK
Br J Psychiatry 183:332-9; discussion 340-1. 2003..Abusive experiences in childhood and adulthood increase risks of psychiatric morbidity in women and independently increase risks of further abuse over the lifetime. It is unclear which experiences are most damaging...
- Mental health, places and people: a multilevel analysis of economic inactivity and social deprivationDavid L Fone
Centre for Health Sciences Research, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Health Place 12:332-44. 2006..respondents to the Welsh Health Survey 1998 aged 17-74 years, we investigated associations between individual mental health status measured using the SF-36 instrument, social class, economic inactivity and the electoral division ..
- Chronic widespread pain, mental health, and physical role function in OEF/OIF veteransDrew A Helmer
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pain Med 10:1174-82. 2009Describe the associations among pain, mental health concerns, and function in veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF).
- Mental health problems among adults in tsunami-affected areas in southern ThailandFrits van Griensven
Thailand Ministry of Public Health US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Collaboration, Nonthaburi, Thailand
JAMA 296:537-48. 2006..The tsunami that followed severely affected all 6 southwestern provinces of Thailand, where 5395 individuals died, 2991 were unaccounted for, and 8457 were injured...
- Mental health in low- and middle-income countriesVikram Patel
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Br Med Bull 81:81-96. 2007..b>Mental health resources are very scarce and investment in mental health is < 1% of the health budget in many countries...
- The effects of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy on recurrence of depressive episodes, mental health and quality of life: A randomized controlled studyK A Godfrin
Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, University of Ghent, Belgium
Behav Res Ther 48:738-46. 2010..For patients with a history of at least three depressive episodes who are not acutely depressed, MBCT, added to TAU, may play an important role in the domain of relapse prevention in depression...
- Hepatitis C infection, antiviral treatment and mental health: a European expert consensus statementMartin Schaefer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
J Hepatol 57:1379-90. 2012b>Mental health problems frequently occur in chronic infection with the hepatitis C virus (HCV) and during antiviral treatment with pegylated interferon-alpha (PegIFNα) and ribavirin...
- Healthy travel and the socio-economic structure of car commuting in Cambridge, UK: a mixed-methods analysisAnna Goodman
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Soc Sci Med 74:1929-38. 2012..This suggests the importance of combining individual-level 'healthy travel' interventions with measures aimed at creating travel environments in which all social groups can pursue healthy and satisfying lives...
- Dementia care: mental health effects, intervention strategies, and clinical implicationsSILVIA SORENSEN
Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentisry, Rochester, NY, USA
Lancet Neurol 5:961-73. 2006..people with dementia is associated with well-documented increases in burden, distress, and decrements in mental health and wellbeing...
- The mental health continuum: from languishing to flourishing in lifeCorey L M Keyes
Department of Sociology, Emory University, Room 225, Tarbutton Hall, 1555 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Health Soc Behav 43:207-22. 2002This paper introduces and applies an operationalization of mental health as a syndrome of symptoms of positive feelings and positive functioning in life...
- Religiousness affects mental health, pain and quality of life in older people in an outpatient rehabilitation settingGiancarlo Lucchetti
São Paulo Medical Spiritist Association, Brazil and Service of Geriatrics, Santa Casa of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Rehabil Med 43:316-22. 2011To evaluate the relationship between religiousness and mental health, hospitalization, pain, disability and quality of life in older adults from an outpatient rehabilitation setting in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Behavioral Activation Therapy for Rural Veterans with Diabetes and DepressionAanand Dinkar Naik; Fiscal Year: 2013..distress and self-efficacy and sociodemographics) and facility- level factors (availability of medical and mental health services by clinical site). Exploratory Aim 2b...
- Genetics and Haloperidol ResponseRobert J Hitzemann; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed research described in "Genetics and Haloperidol Response" addresses one of our most difficult mental health problems both within and outside of the VA, namely the treatment of psychosis...
- 5-HT transporter function: Interaction of hormones and antidepressantsAlan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: With the recent combat deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, treating the mental health care needs of veterans will be a continuing challenge for years to come...
- Epigenetics of Sex Differences in Brain and BehaviorBRIDGET NUGENT; Fiscal Year: 2012..provided by applicant): The presence of robust gender differences in the frequency and intensity of mental health and neurological disorders underscores a need to identify the fundamental mechanisms mediating the ..
- Mechanism of action of omega-3 fatty acids in brain injuryCHARLES NICHOLAS SERHAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..diabetes, arthritis, obesity, macular degeneration, dry eye, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's disease and mental health disorders, and there is evidence from clinical and experimental studies that omega-3 fatty acids are endowed ..
- Regulation of AKAP79 Postsynaptic Membrane TargetingMARK L DELL'ACQUA; Fiscal Year: 2012..altered synaptic plasticity and cognition in neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's and epilepsy and mental health disorders such as Down syndrome and schizophrenia...
- Biology of IGFs in BoneThomas L Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will be performed in collaboration with Bryan Roth and the National Institute of Mental Health's Psychoactive Drug Screening Program (NIMH-PDSP), to determine if OC can activate distinct peptidergic ..
- Epigenomic Events in Development of the Locus Coeruleus Noradrenergic NeuronsJan Krzysztof Blusztajn; Fiscal Year: 2012..This study, supported by an R21 mechanism that focuses on a single population of neurons highly relevant to mental health (the LCNN), will serve as a proof of concept for our long- term goal: to establish a comprehensive atlas of ..
- Cellular and Animal Models of FUS Mutations in ALSEric J Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..impacts on many disciplines in biomedical research, including cancer biology, neurodegeneration, aging, and mental health. Although most mutations are found in the highly conserved C-terminal region of the FUS protein, the precise ..
- Efficacy of GABAA a5 receptor inverse agonists in learning impaired ratsEARL MICHAEL GIBBS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Commercialization opportunities will be realized via drug development efforts for treating mental health disorders...
- Dietary Supplement Creatine for Adolescent Females with SSRI-Resistant DepressionPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..mechanistic target, supports specific strategies outlined in the strategic plans of the National Institute of Mental Health and the Office of Dietary Supplements...
- PS11-003 Minority AIDS Research InitiativeBRIDGETTE MERCEDEZ BRAWNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..preliminary research findings to benefit sexual health education needs identified within the local adolescent mental health community...
- Cell stress, development, and stimulant-induced behavior: Regulation by GSK3Marjelo A Mines; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Mental health disorders are the leading cause of disability in the United States, accounting for 25 percent of all years of ..
- Dopamine's Role in the Rapid Estradiol Enhancement of Excitatory SynapsesCAROLINE COFER SMITH HAMILTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Amelia Eisch. Additionally the department houses the Women's Mental Health Center tasked with providing rapid detection and treatment and to direct research centered on mechanisms of ..
- Design and Synthesis of Anxioselective AnxiolyticsJames M Cook; Fiscal Year: 2010..The understanding and treatment of pathological anxiety have long been a prime concern in regard to mental health. Alterations in GABAA function from controls are known to occur in many anxiety disorders including panic ..
- Neuropeptide modulation of biogenic amine function and aggression in a crustaceanMaria A Sosa; Fiscal Year: 2013..This knowledge will ultimately be of use in the future design of new forms of treatment for mental health and other CNS ailments related with these transmitter and modulatory systems.
- Inflammatory hyperalgesia due to TRPV1, the pepper spray receptor in the corneaSharona E Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2013..to painful stimuli during inflammation (inflammatory hyperalgesia) profoundly influences our physical and mental health, as well as our economic and social well-being...
- Early social stress, novelty seeking, and impulsive behaviorDavid M Lyons; Fiscal Year: 2013..According to the World Health Organization, stress- related mental health disorders will be the second leading cause of all medical disabilities by the year 2020...
- The New England Family Study: Fifty Year Post-Perinatal Follow-Up for Life CourseERIC contact LOUCKS; Fiscal Year: 2010..function, childhood blood pressure, childhood body growth and obesity, childhood neglect and maternal mental health)...
- Postpartum Depression: Role of Sleep &Genetic Risk in Postpartum Mood DisordersKatherine M Sharkey; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sharkey intensive training in genetics, advanced statistics, psychiatric research methods, and women's mental health. Training includes formal didactics, supervised hands-on tutorials, and mentored research...
- Genetic Vulnerability to Alcohol Withdrawal and Genetically Correlated BehaviorsKari J Buck; Fiscal Year: 2012..NARRATIVE Abuse and dependence on alcohol and other sedative-hypnotic drugs continue to be substantial mental health problems that face United States veterans...
- Inflammation and Sub-Clinical Renal Damage in Cocaine-Dependent African AmericansELIZABETH GROOMS NESMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..covariate analysis include addiction severity, demographic, income, and education variables, and physical and mental health functioning...
- DEVELOPMENT OF SPLIT DAMID AS AN ALTERNATIVE METHODOLOGY TO CHROMATIN IMMUNOPRECIRaphael Kopan; Fiscal Year: 2010..methodology to chromatin immunoprecipitation Project Abstract A wide variety of genetic or drug-induced mental health disorders have been linked to altered functions of transcription factors, be it drug-induced or caused by ..
- Developmental Regulation of Brain and BehaviorJULI S WADE; Fiscal Year: 2011..of factors critical to normal development of brain morphology and behavior, and can lead to the discovery of solutions to problems, including those associated with mental health disorders such as autism, schizophrenia and depression.
- Web-based Patient-Reported Outcomes (PRO) System for Breast Cancer SurvivorsJOHN CHRISTOPHER WEISS; Fiscal Year: 2010..data to previous clinical documentation of ancillary factors such as QOL, substance abuse, tobacco use, mental health status;3...
- CHOLINERGIC MECHANISMS OF REM SLEEP GENERATIONHelen A Baghdoyan; Fiscal Year: 2013Cholinergic neurotransmission has unique relevance for mental health. Acetylcholine (ACh) plays a key role in generating the rapid eye movement (REM) phase of sleep, and REM sleep abnormalities typify some forms of depression...
- PTSD Hyperarousal Symptoms Treated with Physiological Stress ManagementWALTON THOMPSON ROTH; Fiscal Year: 2011..Relevance to health and the VA mission: Many of our clients at the VA Palo Alto Mental Health Outpatient Services for PTSD are veterans of Iraq who need help with hyperarousal symptoms...
- Conservative Versus Dialytic Management in Stage V Chronic Kidney DiseaseGLENN MATTHEW CHERTOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..of life, symptoms and burden of advanced CKD, physical function, physical activity, cognitive function, mental health, nutritional and inflammatory status, body composition, blood pressure and pulse wave velocity, ..
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in Pregnant Women with Depressive DisorderDeborah Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..and mentorship to support her development as an independent clinician scientist in the field of perinatal mental health. The long-term career goals of the Candidate are 1) To establish a program of research focusing on the ..
- NeuroMolecular consequences of adolescent binge drinkingToni R Pak; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent data from the Department of Health and Human Services: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2005) showed that over 90% of alcohol consumption by youth follows a "binge pattern", ..
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTIONS (provided by applicant): Center Core. There are pervasive ethnic and racial disparities in mental health service utilization and in mental health status yet the underlying causes of these disparities are poorly understood...
- A Cohort Study of Preterm Delivery in Relation to Partner Abuse, Mood and AnxietyMichelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..study is to provide much-needed fundamental information concerning risk of PTD in relation to women's mental health status and exposure to violence before and during pregnancy...
- Integrated Treatment for Smoking Cessation &Anxiety in People with HIVMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is an interdisciplinary research proposal that involves collaboration between clinical psychologists, physicians, and mental health/HIV counselors.
- A twin study of ovarian hormones and disordered eatingKelly L Klump; Fiscal Year: 2012PROJECT SUMMARY This application is in response to PA-07-126 "Women's Mental Health and Sex/Gender Differences Research...
- Adolescent Alcohol,Dysregulated Stress System, and PTSD VulnerabilityGERHARD H SCHULTEIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..are less than 25 years old, and this same age group is reported to be at increased risk for PTSD and other mental health complications from combat deployment relative to veterans 40 years or older...
- Prevalence of DSM-IV Disorders in an Multi-Center HIV+ Women's CohortJudith A Cook; Fiscal Year: 2013..To date, assessment of mental health and substance use in the WIHS has been limited to self- reported symptoms of depression and anxiety, and self-..
- Biobehavioral Role of Brain Kynurenine Metabolism in Mental IllnessJASON C O'CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..cytokines act in the brain to regulate important biobehavioral processes that are critical for physical and mental health. Patients receiving cytokine immunotherapy for treatment of viral infections or malignancies and those ..
- Exercise Intervention for SmokingMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2012..across disciplines: between clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, physicians, smoking cessation and mental health counselors...
- Using a Biomarker Panel for Detecting Adolescent DepressionJohn A Bilello; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Depression (major depressive disorder, MDD) is the most common mental health disorder in the United States among teens and adults...
- Web-Based Program to Improve Antidepressant Medication AdherenceRebekah K Hersch; Fiscal Year: 2011..5% of the U.S. population age 18 years of age and older. Among mental health problems, major depressive disorder is the leading cause of disability in the U.S...
- DETERMINATION OF NEURONAL FATES IN VISUAL CORTEXSusan K McConnell; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the formation and elaboration of cortical circuits have fundamental implications for vision, cognition, and mental health, since defects in the migration and connectivity of cortical neurons are associated with a variety of ..
- Treatment Implications of Trauma Memory Modulation for PTSD & Alcohol DependenceMichael E Saladin; Fiscal Year: 2010..stress disorder (PTSD) and alcohol dependence (AD) is one of the most frequently occurring and debilitating mental health comorbidities...
- Project LOVE: Preventing Adolescent Dating Violence among Rural African AmericansDionne Smith Coker-Appiah; Fiscal Year: 2013..I have received excellent preparation in the areas of mental health, ADV, community-based participatory research (CBPR), and qualitative research design and data analysis...
- Nuclear Receptor Networks in Human DiseaseFrances M Sladek; Fiscal Year: 2010..This is particularly true for metabolic diseases and diseases affecting mental health. As is often the case with such illnesses, regulators of gene expression, as well as their specific target ..
- Molecular mechanisms of neural plasticity in drug addictionLAURA NICOLE SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..are considered abusers of one or more substances despite serious negative consequences (Substance Abuse &Mental Health Services Administration, 2008)...
- Aptamer probes for Epigenetic Peptide TargetsMARK PATRICK MCPIKE; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, mental health diseases such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are associated with epigenetic changes in the promoters of ..
- The Effects of Estradiol on Genetic Risk for Disordered Eating During PubertyKelly L Klump; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Eating disorders are significant mental health problems that affect over 5 million women in the United States...
- AIDS, Immune Activation and Mental HealthRobert Dantzer; Fiscal Year: 2010..patients than in the general population, the biological mechanisms that are responsible for this decline in mental health remain unknown...
- The Effect of Maternal Stress on Perinatal DevelopmentLISA J ECKLUND-FLORES; Fiscal Year: 2011..Ultimately this creates the potential for the formation of early interventions for mental health disparities in high-risk groups...
- Mission Reconnect: Promoting Resilience and Reintegration of Post-Deployment VeteJanet Kahn; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): There is an urgent and growing need for mental health interventions supporting both short- and long-term reintegration of veterans of OIF and OEF into their communities and significant relationships...
- A Program of Research and Mentorship on Alcohol Use and Intimate Partner ViolenceGregory L Stuart; Fiscal Year: 2013..IPV results in devastating consequences, including physical and mental health problems, divorce, suicide, and spousal homicide...
- Placebo Effects in the Treatment of Depression: Cognitive and Neural MechanismsBret R Rutherford; Fiscal Year: 2013..training activities is the Columbia University Department of Psychiatry, which is a world-renowned center of mental health research and education...
- Circadian Programs in BacteriaCarl Hirschie Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Biological clocks have been found to be crucial for physical and mental health;cancer, metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disease, and depression are associated with the disruption of ..
- A Mouse Model for Emotional Disorder Caused by Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryANTON J REINER; Fiscal Year: 2013..and emotional disability that commonly results from mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a major public mental health problem...
- OEF/OIF Veterans with PTSD in Mental Health Residential Treatment ProgramsEric Slade; Fiscal Year: 2013..Information about the costs, savings, and services utilization impacts of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) mental health residential rehabilitation treatment services for Veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation ..
- EFFECT OF ETHANOL ON CELL PROLIFERATIONMichael W Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..cause of mental retardation in the USA), and it provides insights into the etiology of other (often co-morbid) mental health disorders (e.g., attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism)...
- Addressing Oral Health Disparities in Individuals with Mental Health ProblemsLisa J Heaton; Fiscal Year: 2013..of risk factors that contribute to the complex relationship between poor oral health outcomes and mental health problems...
- Qualitative Study of Mental Health Recovery in Dual Diagnosed HomelessDEBORAH KAY PADGETT; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The vision of mental health recovery promoted by the President's New Freedom Commission portends a transformation of services for psychiatrically disabled persons, yet empirical research on ..
- Function of Microtubule Plus-End-Tracking Proteins in the Neuronal Growth ConeLaura Anne Lowery; Fiscal Year: 2013..of research that will illuminate how the growth cone cytoskeleton is coordinated during axon guidance, the knowledge of which may eventually be applied to understanding the basis of neurodevelopmental and mental health disorders.
- GENE EXPRESSION EXON ARRAY BIOMARKERS TO DIAGNOSE SCHIZOPHRENIATerry W Osborn; Fiscal Year: 2010..The National Institute of Mental Health is specifically seeking the development of biomarkers for psychiatric disorders...
- Health and Retirement Survey for IndiaDavid Bloom; Fiscal Year: 2009..the following core areas: demographics;family structure and transfers;health (diseases, functional health, mental health, and anchoring vignettes);diet and health behavior;health insurance and health care utilization;employment, ..
- Anxiety Sensitivity, Menstrual Cycle Phase, and Panic-Relevant RespondingYael Nillni; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The prevalence of panic disorder, a debilitating mental health problem characterized by recurrent, unexpected panic attacks, is 2 times higher among females relative to males...
- CBPR on Active Living and Recovery for Racial/Ethnic Groups with Mental IllnessYoshitaka Iwasaki; Fiscal Year: 2010..community-based work has led to a formal partnership agreement with various community partners representing mental health advocacy, mental health care and research, and mental health policy-making at local, regional, or national ..
- Best Practices in Mental Health Research Ethics Conference SeriesJames M DuBois; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Participants in mental health research frequently differ from participants in other types of medical research in significant ways including: stigma, institutionalization, cognitive deficits, and ..
- Hurricane Katrina Community Advisory GroupRonald C Kessler; Fiscal Year: 2010We seek support to continue mental health needs assessment tracking surveys in the Hurricane Katrina Community Advisory Group (CAG) beyond the two waves (baseline and one-year follow-up) for which we were originally funded...
- Remediation of Working Memory in SchizophreniaTasha Nienow; Fiscal Year: 2009..associated with schizophrenia, the Veteran's Health Administration has prioritized provision of mental health care services to adults with severe and persistent mental illnesses...
- Treatment Retention Strategies in Transition Age YouthMaryann Davis; Fiscal Year: 2010..As they move into adulthood transition age youth (TAY;ages 17-25) with serious mental health conditions have alarmingly poor functioning;high rates of homelessness (30%), arrests (60%), school dropout (..
- Mental Health Outcomes in Abused WomenLINDA L TOCHE MANLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..as well as the multiple social institutions and agencies that must grapple with its effects: Child Welfare, Mental Health, Law Enforcement, and Domestic Violence...
- Dissemination of Effective MH Services in Foster CareSonya J Leathers; Fiscal Year: 2010..This application will study an innovative approach to implementing mental health services in child welfare settings to reduce foster children's behavior problems and improve school ..
- Engaging Homeless Youth in Vocational Training to Meet Their Mental Health NeedsKristin M Ferguson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Despite the myriad mental health issues homeless youth confront, their rates of engagement in existing services are limited...
- California MHS Act: Impact on Practice & Organizational Culture in Public ClinicsJoel T Braslow; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This project will analyze the changes in mental health care brought about by the California Mental Health Services Act (MHSA), focusing on the mechanisms by which change is achieved and the impact on ..
- Mental Health Literacy Among Korean American EldersYuri Jang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study is written in response to the heightened need for research designed to help reduce mental health disparities...
- MENTAL HEALTH AND BEHAVIOR IN ADOLESCENT STD PREVENTIONLydia Shrier; Fiscal Year: 2003..Adolescents are the population at highest risk for STD/HIV. Studies have suggested that mental health problems, including depression, low self-esteem, and low self-efficacy, may play an important role in the ..
- Reducing Ethnic and Racial Bias in Screening for Psychiatric Disorders in AdolescMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2010..in Adolescents" is designed to improve the effectiveness of identification, referral and screening for mental health disorders potentially associated with ethnic/racial disparities in adolescents'receipt of mental health ..
- Accelerating Utilization of CE Findings in Medicaid Mental HealthStephen Crystal; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): State Medicaid programs play a central role in the provision of mental health services in the U.S...
- Mental Health Services in NY after WTC DisasterJoseph Boscarino; Fiscal Year: 2004The purpose of this research is to evaluate the impact of emergency and post-disaster mental health services for New York City (NYC) residents following the World Trade Center disaster (WTCD)...
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities In Mental Health Service and Medical Care ExpendituresAUDREY LYNN JONES; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is particularl true in the area of mental health. Black and Latino populations are often less likely than Non-Latino Whites to receive timely and accurate ..
- PREVENTIVE INTERVENTION FOR FATHERS AFTER DIVORCESanford Braver; Fiscal Year: 1999Children whose parents divorce are often at significantly increased risk for a number of mental health problems, including childhood depression, conduct disorder, and school problems...
- Gender, Ethnicity, and Mental Health in a Rural StateCathleen Willging; Fiscal Year: 2004In the extensive literature on the mental health treatment needs of minority populations, scant attention has been given to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons, particularly those living in ethnically-diverse, rural ..
- Mental Health Effects of the Khmer Rouge Trials in CambodiaJEFFREY H SONIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cambodian survivors and reduce the desire for revenge, they may be able to reduce the burden of trauma-related mental health problems, such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- ECONOMICS OF MANAGED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH CARERichard Scheffler; Fiscal Year: 2004This is an application for a Senior Scientist Awar5d to study the new economic relationships in mental health services created through the advent and growth of managed care, capitation, decentralization, and market competition within the ..
- Mental Health Outcomes in Abused Women (Polaris DV-MH)LINDA TOCHE MANLEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..1 of the most destructive social problems for women and families: domestic violence and the co-morbidity of mental health problems...
- New Mexico Mental Health Mentorship/Education ProgramHoward Waitzkin; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The New Mexico Mentorship and Education Program (MEP) focuses on minority mental health issues in primary care settings, especially disparities in mental health outcomes...