Genomes and Genes
Summary: The state wherein the person is well adjusted.
Publications293 found, 100 shown here
- Association of torture and other potentially traumatic events with mental health outcomes among populations exposed to mass conflict and displacement: a systematic review and meta-analysisZachary Steel
Psychiatry Research and Teaching Unit, School of Psychiatry, University New South Wales, Liverpool New South Wales, Australia
JAMA 302:537-49. 2009....
- Validation of a mental health assessment in an African conflict populationVerena Ertl
Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Department of Psychology, Bielefeld University, 33501 Bielefeld, Germany
Psychol Assess 22:318-24. 2010..the assessment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression within the context of an epidemiological mental health survey among war-affected adolescents and young adults in northern Uganda...
- The British Child and Adolescent Mental Health Survey 1999: the prevalence of DSM-IV disordersTamsin Ford
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, Denmark Hill, London SE58AF, England
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 42:1203-11. 2003..To describe the prevalence of DSM-IV disorders and comorbidity in a large population-based sample of British children and adolescents...
- MicroRNAs in mental health: from biological underpinnings to potential therapiesJoshua G Hunsberger
Laboratory of Molecular Pathophysiology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Building 35, 1C912, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuromolecular Med 11:173-82. 2009..Clearly, considerable research is required to better determine any therapeutic potential of targeting miRNAs; however, these agents may provide the next generation of effective therapies for psychiatric illnesses...
- Longitudinal assessment of mental health problems among active and reserve component soldiers returning from the Iraq warCharles S Milliken
Division of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
JAMA 298:2141-8. 2007To promote early identification of mental health problems among combat veterans, the Department of Defense initiated population-wide screening at 2 time points, immediately on return from deployment and 3 to 6 months later...
- Social ties and mental healthI Kawachi
The Department of Health and Social Behavior, Harvard Center for Society and Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Urban Health 78:458-67. 2001..In this targeted review, we highlight four sets of insights that emerge from the literature on social ties and mental health outcomes (defined as stress reactions, psychological well-being, and psychological distress, including ..
- Violence, suffering, and mental health in Afghanistan: a school-based surveyCatherine Panter-Brick
Department of Anthropology, Durham University, Durham, UK
Lancet 374:807-16. 2009Studies in Afghanistan have shown substantial mental health problems in adults. We did a survey of young people (11-16 years old) in the country to assess mental health, traumatic experiences, and social functioning.
- Mental health and psychosocial support in crisis and conflict: report of the Mental Health Working GroupK Allden
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Prehosp Disaster Med 24:s217-27. 2009The Working Group on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support was convened as part of the 2009 Harvard Humanitarian Action Summit...
- The association between tinnitus and mental health in a general population sample: results from the HUNT StudyNorun Hjertager Krog
Division of Mental Health, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
J Psychosom Res 69:289-98. 2010Clinical studies indicate a strong association between tinnitus and mental health, but results from general population data are missing...
- The health and productivity cost burden of the "top 10" physical and mental health conditions affecting six large U.S. employers in 1999Ron Z Goetzel
Institute for Health and Productivity Studies, Cornell University, USA
J Occup Environ Med 45:5-14. 2003..and short term disability data at the patient level was analyzed to uncover the most costly physical and mental health conditions affecting American businesses...
- Do psychosocial variables predict weight loss or mental health after obesity surgery? A systematic reviewS Herpertz
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, Westfälische Klinik Dortmund, Ruhr University Bochum, Marsbruchstrasse 179, 44287 Dortmund, Germany
Obes Res 12:1554-69. 2004..this study was to present a systematic review of psychological and psychosocial predictors of weight loss and mental health after bariatric surgery...
- War exposure, daily stressors, and mental health in conflict and post-conflict settings: bridging the divide between trauma-focused and psychosocial frameworksKenneth E Miller
Harvard School of Public Health, Research Program on Children and Global Adversity, Francois Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights, 651 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Soc Sci Med 70:7-16. 2010..divisive split between advocates of trauma-focused and psychosocial approaches to understanding and addressing mental health needs in conflict and post-conflict settings by emphasizing the role that daily stressors play in mediating ..
- Political violence and mental health: a multi-disciplinary review of the literature on NepalWietse A Tol
HealthNet TPO, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 70:35-44. 2010Implementation of current international consensus guidelines regarding mental health and psychosocial support in emergencies requires the consideration of findings from both the medical and social sciences...
- Trends and risk factors for mental health diagnoses among Iraq and Afghanistan veterans using Department of Veterans Affairs health care, 2002-2008Karen H Seal
San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1651-8. 2009We sought to investigate longitudinal trends and risk factors for mental health diagnoses among Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.
- Development of lifetime comorbidity in the World Health Organization world mental health surveysRonald C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:90-100. 2011..Although numerous studies have examined the role of latent variables in the structure of comorbidity among mental disorders, none has examined their role in the development of comorbidity...
- Ethnic differences in mental health among incarcerated youths: do Moroccan immigrant boys show less psychopathology than native Dutch boys?Violaine Veen
Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 19:431-40. 2010..minority youths are overrepresented in the juvenile justice system, limited research is available on their mental health. In this study, differences in mental health problems between incarcerated adolescents of native Dutch and ..
- Self-rated mental health and racial/ethnic disparities in mental health service useSamuel H Zuvekas
Center for Financing, Access, and Cost Trends, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
Med Care 46:915-23. 2008..In addition, mental health service use is lower among members of minority communities, compared with non-Hispanic whites.
- Alcohol drinking pattern and subjective health in a population-based studySaverio Stranges
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Health Professions, State University of New York at Buffalo, 3435 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Addiction 101:1265-76. 2006..e. drinking intensity and frequency, frequency of intoxication, drinking outside of meals, and beverage type) and subjective health was examined in a random sample of 3586 women and men...
- Measuring well-being rather than the absence of distress symptoms: a comparison of the SF-36 Mental Health subscale and the WHO-Five Well-Being ScalePer Bech
Psychiatric Research Unit, Frederiksborg General Hospital, Hillerod, Denmark
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 12:85-91. 2003The health status questionnaire Short-Form 36 (SF-36) includes subscales measuring both physical health and mental health. Psychometrically, the mental health subscale contains a mixture of mental symptoms and psychological well-being ..
- Mental health symptoms following war and repression in eastern AfghanistanWillem F Scholte
Academic Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JAMA 292:585-93. 2004Decades of armed conflict, suppression, and displacement resulted in a high prevalence of mental health symptoms throughout Afghanistan. Its Eastern province of Nangarhar is part of the region that originated the Taliban movement...
- Alcohol, wine and mental health: focus on dementia and strokeR M Pinder
Medical Affairs, Organon International Inc, Roseland, NJ, USA
J Psychopharmacol 18:449-56. 2004....
- Mental health and social capital in Cali, ColombiaTrudy Harpham
Urban Policy and Development, South Bank University, London SW8 2JZ, UK
Soc Sci Med 58:2267-77. 2004..The growing interest in social risk factors for mental health coincides with the development of social capital research which may further inform the social model of mental ..
- Social capital and mental health: an interdisciplinary review of primary evidenceAstier M Almedom
Department of Biology, Tufts University, 165 Packard Avenue, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Soc Sci Med 61:943-64. 2005An interdisciplinary interrogation of primary evidence linking social capital and mental health sought to establish: (1) 'quality of evidence' (assessed in terms of study design, methods used to address stated questions, rigor of data ..
- Inverse association between physical inactivity and mental health in men and womenDaniel I Galper
Mood Disorders Research Program and Clinic, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:173-8. 2006..Study (ACLS) provides the opportunity to evaluate associations between measures of physical activity and mental health in a large and well-characterized population of men and women...
- Suicidal behaviour in adolescence and subsequent mental health outcomes in young adulthoodDavid M Fergusson
Christchurch Health and Development Study, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
Psychol Med 35:983-93. 2005The aim of this study was to examine the linkages between suicidal ideation and attempt in adolescence and subsequent suicidal behaviours and mental health in young adulthood.
- The state of mental health in old-age across the 'old' European Union-- a systematic reviewS G Riedel-Heller
Department of Psychiatry, University of Leipzig, Germany
Acta Psychiatr Scand 113:388-401. 2006..The paper provides the first syllabus on the prevalence of mental disorders in old-age focusing on surveys conducted in the 15 countries, which comprised the 'old' European Union...
- Neuroscience, molecular biology, and the childhood roots of health disparities: building a new framework for health promotion and disease preventionJack P Shonkoff
Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University, 50 Church St, Fourth Floor, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
JAMA 301:2252-9. 2009..From both basic research and policy perspectives, confronting the origins of disparities in physical and mental health early in life may produce greater effects than attempting to modify health-related behaviors or improve access ..
- Social capital, socio-economic status and psychological distress among Australian adultsPhilayrath Phongsavan
University of Sydney, Australia
Soc Sci Med 63:2546-61. 2006High levels of social capital may be associated with positive mental health in adults. However, quantifying the various dimensions of social capital has presented a challenge due in part to the diverse definitions and measures used...
- Internet paradox. A social technology that reduces social involvement and psychological well-being?R Kraut
Human Computer Interaction Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15217, USA
Am Psychol 53:1017-31. 1998..These findings have implications for research, for public policy and for the design of technology...
- Physical activity and mental health: the association between exercise and moodMarco Aurélio Monteiro Peluso
Institute of Psychiatry, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 60:61-70. 2005..have shown that in addition to its beneficial effects, physical activity can also be associated with impaired mental health, being related to disturbances like "excessive exercise" and "overtraining syndrome"...
- Improving mental health literacy as a strategy to facilitate early intervention for mental disordersClaire M Kelly
ORYGEN Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 187:S26-30. 2007Good mental health literacy in young people and their key helpers may lead to better outcomes for those with mental disorders, either by facilitating early help-seeking by young people themselves, or by helping adults to identify early ..
- Internet information-seeking in mental health: population surveyJohn Powell
Health Sciences Research Institute, Medical School Building, Gibbet Hill Campus, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Br J Psychiatry 189:273-7. 2006A major use of the of the internet is for health information-seeking. There has been little research into its use in relation to mental health.
- Social capital and mental healthKwame McKenzie
Br J Psychiatry 181:280-3. 2002
- Dementia care: mental health effects, intervention strategies, and clinical implicationsSILVIA SORENSEN
Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentisry, Rochester, NY, USA
Lancet Neurol 5:961-73. 2006..people with dementia is associated with well-documented increases in burden, distress, and decrements in mental health and wellbeing...
- Family violence, war, and natural disasters: a study of the effect of extreme stress on children's mental health in Sri LankaClaudia Catani
Department of Psychology, University of Konstanz and Center for Psychiatry Reichenau, D 78457 Konstanz, Germany
BMC Psychiatry 8:33. 2008The consequences of war violence and natural disasters on the mental health of children as well as on family dynamics remain poorly understood...
- Risky families: family social environments and the mental and physical health of offspringRena L Repetti
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1563, USA
Psychol Bull 128:330-66. 2002..This integrated biobehavioral profile leads to consequent accumulating risk for mental health disorders, major chronic diseases, and early mortality...
- The NIMH blueprint for change report: research priorities in child and adolescent mental healthKimberly Hoagwood
The National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892-9630, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:760-7. 2002The National Institute of Mental Health established a special subgroup of its National Advisory Mental Health Council to review major research findings on child and adolescent psychiatric disorders over the past decade and to recommend ..
- Effect of a housing and case management program on emergency department visits and hospitalizations among chronically ill homeless adults: a randomized trialLaura S Sadowski
Collaborative Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Stroger Hospital of Cook County, 1900 W Polk St, Room 1606, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
JAMA 301:1771-8. 2009..Homeless adults, especially those with chronic medical illnesses, are frequent users of costly medical services, especially emergency department and hospital services...
- Mental health treatment to reduce HIV transmission risk behavior: a positive prevention modelKathleen J Sikkema
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, Box 90086, Durham, NC 27708 0086, USA
AIDS Behav 14:252-62. 2010..The association between mental health and HIV transmission risk (i.e...
- Internal construct validity of the Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Well-being Scale (WEMWBS): a Rasch analysis using data from the Scottish Health Education Population SurveySarah Stewart-Brown
Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, UK
Health Qual Life Outcomes 7:15. 2009..It comprises 14 positively phrased Likert-style items and fulfils classic criteria for scale development. We report here the internal construct validity of WEMWBS from the perspective of the Rasch measurement model...
- Enduring mental health morbidity and social function impairment in world trade center rescue, recovery, and cleanup workers: the psychological dimension of an environmental health disasterJeanne Mager Stellman
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1248-53. 2008..This program has established a large cohort of WTC rescue, recovery, and cleanup workers. We previously documented extensive pulmonary dysfunction in this cohort related to toxic environmental exposures...
- The flip-side of social capital: the distinctive influences of trust and mistrust on health in rural ChinaHongmei Wang
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Health Services Research and Administration, 984375 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
Soc Sci Med 68:133-42. 2009..are measured at the individual and aggregate levels, and the distinct ways in which they affect general and mental health are explored. We adopt an ordered logistic regression using survey procedures in SAS version 9...
- Sociodemographic predictors of elderly's psychological well-being in MalaysiaYadollah A Momtaz
Institute of Gerontology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Malaysia
Aging Ment Health 15:437-45. 2011..The aim of this study was to identify significant sociodemographic predictors of psychological well-being among Malay elders...
- The impact of psychological abuse by an intimate partner on the mental health of pregnant womenA Tiwari
Department of Nursing Studies, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
BJOG 115:377-84. 2008The objective of this first population-based study in Hong Kong was to assess the impact of psychological abuse by an intimate partner on the mental health of pregnant women.
- The impact of mental health and traumatic life experiences on antiretroviral treatment outcomes for people living with HIV/AIDSBrian Wells Pence
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke Global Health Institute, and Center for Health Policy, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:636-40. 2009..The efficacy of standard mental health interventions, such as antidepressant treatment and psychotherapy, has been well-defined, and a small but ..
- Mental health problems among adults in tsunami-affected areas in southern ThailandFrits van Griensven
Thailand Ministry of Public Health-US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Collaboration, Nonthaburi, Thailand
JAMA 296:537-48. 2006..DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: A multistage, cluster, population-based mental health survey was conducted from February 15 to 22, 2005, of random samples of displaced (n = 371) and nondisplaced ..
- The influences of diet and exercise on mental health through hormesisFernando Gomez-Pinilla
Division of Neurosurgery, Brain Injury Research Center, UCLA Medical School, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Ageing Res Rev 7:49-62. 2008..diet are discussed in relationship to their aptitude to impact systems that sustain synaptic plasticity and mental health, and are therefore important for combating the effects of aging...
- Toward a global view of alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, and cocaine use: findings from the WHO World Mental Health SurveysLouisa Degenhardt
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS Med 5:e141. 2008..This paper describes such data from the first 17 countries participating in the World Health Organization's (WHO's) World Mental Health (WMH) Survey Initiative.
- Toward explaining mental health disparitiesCarol S Aneshensel
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1772, USA
J Health Soc Behav 50:377-94. 2009b>Mental health disparities refer to the disproportionate amount of psychopathology found among persons of disadvantageous social standing, such as persons of low socioeconomic status (SES)...
- Discrimination, perceived social inequity, and mental health among rural-to-urban migrants in ChinaDanhua Lin
Institute of Developmental Psychology, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China
Community Ment Health J 47:171-80. 2011..However, their association with mental health among economy-driven internal migrants in developing countries is rarely assessed...
- Social capital and health in Australia: An overview from the household, income and labour dynamics in Australia surveyHelen Louise Berry
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment, The Australian National University, ACTON ACT 0200, Canberra
Soc Sci Med 70:588-96. 2010..between structural and cognitive components of social capital with three forms of health - general health, mental health and physical functioning...
- Mental health service use among adult cancer survivors: analyses of the National Health Interview SurveyMaria Hewitt
National Cancer Policy Board, Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC 20001, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:4581-90. 2002Analyses were conducted to obtain national estimates of mental health service use, unmet need for such services, and the prevalence of mental health problems among individuals reporting a cancer history.
- Maternal mental health and integrated programs for mothers with substance abuse issuesAlison Niccols
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Canada
Psychol Addict Behav 24:466-74. 2010..those with substance use treatment and pregnancy-, parenting-, or child-related services) on maternal mental health, we compiled a database of studies of integrated programs published between 1990 and 2007 with outcome data on ..
- Evaluating the psychometric properties of the Mental Health Continuum-Short Form (MHC-SF)Sanne M A Lamers
Psychology and Communication of Health and Risk, Faculty of Behavioural Sciences Citadel, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychol 67:99-110. 2011There is a growing consensus that mental health is not merely the absence of mental illness, but it also includes the presence of positive feelings (emotional well-being) and positive functioning in individual life (psychological well-..
- The effects of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy on recurrence of depressive episodes, mental health and quality of life: A randomized controlled studyK A Godfrin
Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, University of Ghent, Belgium
Behav Res Ther 48:738-46. 2010..For patients with a history of at least three depressive episodes who are not acutely depressed, MBCT, added to TAU, may play an important role in the domain of relapse prevention in depression...
- Bullying, depression, and suicidal ideation in Finnish adolescents: school surveyR Kaltiala-Heino
University of Tampere, Tampere School of Public Health, Box 607, 33101 Tampere, Finland
BMJ 319:348-51. 1999..To assess the relation between being bullied or being a bully at school, depression, and severe suicidal ideation...
- Social inequality in physical and mental health comorbidity dynamicsAmanda Sacker
Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Colchester, UK
Psychosom Med 71:763-70. 2009To examine how socioeconomic position influences physical and mental health dynamics.
- Why do Chinese Canadians not consult mental health services: health status, language or culture?Alice W Chen
Children s Health Policy Centre, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University, 2431 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC V6B5K3, Canada
Transcult Psychiatry 46:623-41. 2009..individuals born in Canada were less likely than other Canadians to have contacted a health professional for mental health reasons in the previous year in the province of British Columbia...
- Two views of self-rated general health statusDaniel S Bailis
Health, Leisure and Human Performance Research Institute, University of Manitoba, 307 Max Bell Centre, Winnioeg, Man, Canada R3T 2N2
Soc Sci Med 56:203-17. 2003..our analysis tests a model of change in self-rated health as predicted by respondents' baseline physical and mental health symptoms, social support, leisure physical activity, smoking, body mass index, and 2-yr changes in these ..
- Associations of morbidity in the underweightS J Kelly
Social Epidemiology Unit, Division of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 64:475-82. 2010..This project compares the demographic characteristics and morbidity patterns of the underweight with those of acceptable weight and the overweight...
- Multimodal e-mental health treatment for depression: a feasibility trialDavid C Mohr
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, United States
J Med Internet Res 12:e48. 2010..This study describes the feasibility trial of a multimodal e-mental health intervention designed to enhance adherence and outcomes for depression...
- The relationship of trauma to mental disorders among trafficked and sexually exploited girls and womenMazeda Hossain
Gender, Violence and Health Centre, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Am J Public Health 100:2442-9. 2010We explored the association between traumatic events and mental health among girls and women trafficked for sexual exploitation.
- Mental health and access to services among US women of reproductive ageSherry L Farr
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 203:542.e1-9. 2010The objective of the study was to estimate prevalence of depression and serious psychological distress (SPD) and mental health service receipt among reproductive-age women.
- Risk of diabetes in U.S. military service members in relation to combat deployment and mental healthEdward J Boyko
Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1771-7. 2010..S. military. The objectives of this study were to determine whether military deployment, combat exposures, and mental health conditions were related to the risk of newly reported diabetes over 3 years.
- Social capital, anticipated ethnic discrimination and self-reported psychological health: a population-based studyMartin Lindstrom
Department of Clinical Sciences, University Hospital MAS, Malmo, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 66:1-13. 2008..Anticipated discrimination may have effects on the mental health of not only the affected minorities, but also on the mental health of the general population.
- Social deprivation and the outcomes of crisis resolution and home treatment for people with mental health problems: a historical cohort studyRichard Kingsford
Thanet Community Mental Health Team, The Beacon, Ramsgate, Kent, UK
Health Soc Care Community 18:456-64. 2010..deprived areas had a poorer outcome, as did older people and those referred from the enhanced community mental health team (CMHT)...
- Mental health literacy, folic acid and vitamin B12, and physical activity for the prevention of depression in older adults: randomised controlled trialJanine G Walker
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Building 63 Eggleston Road, Acton, Australian Capital Territory, 0200 Australia
Br J Psychiatry 197:45-54. 2010..Few randomised controlled trials (RCTs) have examined potential preventive agents in high-risk community populations...
- Sexual orientation and mental healthGregory M Herek
Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616 8686, USA
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 3:353-75. 2007This article provides an overview of current psychological research on mental health and sexual orientation, as well as clinical practice with sexual minorities...
- Domestic violence and its mental health correlates in Indian womenShuba Kumar
Social Scientist and Manager, India Clinical Epidemiology Network, No 58 Venkatratnam Nagar, Adayar, Chennai 600020, India
Br J Psychiatry 187:62-7. 2005Domestic spousal violence against women has far-reaching mental health implications.
- Social capital and health in rural and urban communities in South AustraliaAnna M Ziersch
Department of Public Health, Flinders University, South Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:7-16. 2009..This paper seeks to compare the relationships between social capital and health for rural and urban residents of South Australia...
- Childhood adversities of populations living in low-income countries: prevalence, characteristics, and mental health consequencesCorina Benjet
Department of Epidemiological and Psychosocial Research, National Institute of Psychiatry Ramón de la Fuente Muñiz, Mexico D F, Mexico
Curr Opin Psychiatry 23:356-62. 2010..The aim of this review is to synthesize recently published research and policy documents regarding the prevalence, characteristics, and mental health consequences of childhood adversity in low-income countries.
- Work-life conflict and associations with work- and nonwork-related factors and with physical and mental health outcomes: a nationally representative cross-sectional study in SwitzerlandOliver Hämmig
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Zurich, Hirschengraben 84, 8001 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Public Health 9:435. 2009The aim of the present cross-sectional study was to examine work- and nonwork- related factors and physical and mental health outcomes associated with combined time- and strain-based work-life conflict (WLC) among adult employees living ..
- The association of cognitive performance with mental health and physical functioning strengthens with age: the Whitehall II cohort studyM Jokela
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, UK
Psychol Med 40:837-45. 2010..We examined whether cognitive performance predicted mental and physical health from midlife to early old age...
- Long-term mental health of Vietnamese refugees in the aftermath of traumaAina Basilier Vaage
Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, University of Bergen, and Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Stavanger University Hospital, Stavanger, Norway
Br J Psychiatry 196:122-5. 2010There is no long-term prospective study (>20 years) of the mental health of any refugee group.
- Deployment and the use of mental health services among U.S. Army wivesAlyssa J Mansfield
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
N Engl J Med 362:101-9. 2010Military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have involved the frequent and extended deployment of military personnel, many of whom are married. The effect of deployment on mental health in military spouses is largely unstudied.
- Social disconnectedness, perceived isolation, and health among older adultsErin York Cornwell
Department of Sociology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Health Soc Behav 50:31-48. 2009..extent to which social disconnectedness and perceived isolation have distinct associations with physical and mental health among older adults...
- Exercise and mental health: many reasons to moveAndrea Deslandes
National School of Public Health, Institute of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Neuropsychobiology 59:191-8. 2009The relationship between physical activity and mental health has been widely investigated, and several hypotheses have been formulated about it...
- Caffeine, mental health, and psychiatric disordersDiogo R Lara
Faculdade de Biociencias, PUCRS, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Alzheimers Dis 20:S239-48. 2010....
- Associations between chronic disease, age and physical and mental health statusW M Hopman
Clinical Research Centre, Kingston General Hospital, ON, Canada
Chronic Dis Can 29:108-16. 2009This paper examines the associations between chronic disease, age, and physical and mental health-related quality of life (HRQOL), using data collected in 10 studies representing five chronic conditions...
- Self-reported discrimination and mental health status among African descendants, Mexican Americans, and other Latinos in the New Hampshire REACH 2010 Initiative: the added dimension of immigrationGilbert C Gee
School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1821-8. 2006We examined whether self-reported racial discrimination was associated with mental health status and whether this association varied with race/ethnicity or immigration status.
- Investigation of the relationships among workplace stressors, ways of coping, and the mental health of Chinese head nursesYunyan Xianyu
Pulmonary Department, Remnin Hospital, Wuhan, China
Nurs Health Sci 8:147-55. 2006..the purposes of this descriptive study were to examine workplace stressors, ways of coping, and the levels of mental health of Chinese head nurses, as well as to identify the relationships among the workplace stressors, ways of coping,..
- Exercise: a neglected intervention in mental health care?P Callaghan
Department of Mental Health and Learning Disability, City University, London E1 2EA, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 11:476-83. 2004This paper reports the results of a literature review examining the effects of exercise on mental health and well-being...
- U.S. military deployment during 2001-2006: comparison of subjective and objective data sources in a large prospective health studyBesa Smith
Department of Defense Center for Deployment Health Research, Naval Health Research Center, San Diego, CA 92186 5122, USA
Ann Epidemiol 17:976-82. 2007..This study compared self-reported and electronic deployment data and explored differences in functional health...
- Mental health research in HIV/AIDS and aging: problems and prospectsDavid M Stoff
AIDS 18:S3-10. 2004
- Dissemination of effective mental health treatment procedures: Maximizing the return on a significant investmentBruce F Chorpita
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Behav Res Ther 47:990-3. 2009..of evidence-based practices, it is currently less clear how to implement these practices into the broader mental health system. Dissemination and implementation research will play a critical role in addressing this uncertainty...
- Health-promoting behaviors and psychosocial well-being of university students in Hong KongRegina L T Lee
School of Nursing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Public Health Nurs 22:209-20. 2005....
- Mental health symptoms in relation to socio-economic conditions and lifestyle factors--a population-based study in SwedenAnu Molarius
Västmanland County Council, Department of Community Medicine, Vasteras, Sweden
BMC Public Health 9:302. 2009Poor mental health has large social and economic consequences both for the individual and society. In Sweden, the prevalence of mental health symptoms has increased since the beginning of the 1990 s...
- Socio-demographic differences in acculturation and mental health for a sample of 2nd generation/early immigrant Arab AmericansMona M Amer
Program for the Study of Immigration and Mental Health, Department of Psychology, The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 9:335-47. 2007..Striking differences were found based on religious affiliation. Christian patterns of acculturation and mental health were consistent with acculturation theory...
- Examining the impact of socioeconomic status and socioecologic stress on physical and mental health quality of life among breast cancer survivorsKimlin T Ashing-Giwa
CCARE, Division of Population Sciences, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 36:79-88. 2009To examine how physical and mental health quality of life (QOL) varies in relation to the socioeconomic status and ethnicity among breast cancer survivors; to determine key socioecologic factors influencing outcomes.
- Risk factors associated with PTSD and major depression among Cambodian refugees in UtahR G Blair
Department of Sociology, Social Work and Criminology, Morehead State University, KY 40351 1689, USA
Health Soc Work 25:23-30. 2000..Participants were interviewed about their mental health status and factors associated with a diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or major depression...
- Barriers to and facilitators of everyday physical activity in persons with a spinal cord injury after discharge from the rehabilitation centreMaaike Vissers
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Rehabil Med 40:461-7. 2008..To determine the most important barriers to and facilitators of the level of everyday physical activity in persons with a spinal cord injury after discharge from the rehabilitation centre...
- Association of combatant status and sexual violence with health and mental health outcomes in postconflict LiberiaKirsten Johnson
Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
JAMA 300:676-90. 2008..Liberia's wars since 1989 have cost tens of thousands of lives and left many people mentally and physically traumatized...
- Prevalence of mental health problems, treatment need, and barriers to care among primary care-seeking spouses of military service members involved in Iraq and Afghanistan deploymentsKaren M Eaton
Division of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring MD 20910, USA
Mil Med 173:1051-6. 2008..These issues may have an adverse effect on the health of military spouses. This study examined the mental health status, rates of care utilization, source of care, as well as barriers and stigma of mental health care ..
- Long-term effect of psychological trauma on the mental health of Vietnamese refugees resettled in Australia: a population-based studyZachary Steel
Psychiatry Research and Teaching Unit, School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Lancet 360:1056-62. 2002..We aimed to assess the long-term effects of trauma on mental health and disability in Vietnamese refugees resettled in Australia.
- Employee absenteeism measures reflecting current work practices may be instrumental in a re-evaluation of the relationship between psychological distress/mental health and absenteeismMichael F Hilton
The University of Queensland, School of Population Health, Herston, QLD, 4006, Australia
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 18:37-47. 2009..Employees with psychological distress may take time off work but it appears that they make up for lost time possibly to stay up to speed with task driven occupations and avoid performance review...
- Mental health and readiness to change smoking behavior in daily smoking primary care patientsGudrun Schorr
Institute for Epidemiology and Social Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Int J Behav Med 16:347-54. 2009We examined the association between daily smokers' mental health according to the five-item Mental Health Inventory and the core constructs of the transtheoretical model (TTM): stage of change, processes of change, smoking cessation self-..
- Associations of neighbourhood greenness with physical and mental health: do walking, social coherence and local social interaction explain the relationships?T Sugiyama
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:e9. 2008..Studies have shown associations between health indices and access to "green" environments but the underlying mechanisms of this association are not clear...
- Mental health implications of detaining asylum seekers: systematic reviewKaty Robjant
Traumatic Stress Service, Clinical Treatment Centre, Maudsley Hospital, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AZ, UK
Br J Psychiatry 194:306-12. 2009..The number of asylum seekers, refugees and internally displaced people worldwide is rising. Western countries are using increasingly restrictive policies, including the detention of asylum seekers, and there is concern that this is harmful...
- A model of sexual risk behaviors among young gay and bisexual men: longitudinal associations of mental health, substance abuse, sexual abuse, and the coming-out processMargaret Rosario
Department of Psychology, City University of New York City College and Graduate Center, New York, NY 10031, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 18:444-60. 2006..These findings suggest that interventions targeting sexual risk behaviors of young gay and bisexual men may be more effective if they also address mental health concerns and aspects of the coming-out process.
- Influence of social support on health-related quality of life outcomes in head and neck cancerLucy Hynds Karnell
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Head Neck 29:143-6. 2007..Evidence that social support influences health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in oncologic patients could be particularly important for head and neck cancer because this disease can affect speech, eating, and facial aesthetics...
- Individuals' descriptions of living with fibromyalgiaMargaret Mui Cunningham
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Clin Nurs Res 15:258-73. 2006..More research could clarify ways in which health care providers may provide more effective interventions, appropriate care, and ongoing support for those affected with FM...
- The role of mental health, support and coping on the HIV risk protective and promDavid Malebranche; Fiscal Year: 2009HIV is disproportionately impacting Black men in the South, and the role of mental health determinants (e.g., perceived stress, depression, gender role conflict) and culturally-specific coping strategies (e.g...
- Qualitative Study of Mental Health Recovery in Dual Diagnosed HomelessDEBORAH KAY PADGETT; Fiscal Year: 2010The vision of mental health recovery promoted by the President's New Freedom Commission portends a transformation of services for psychiatrically disabled persons, yet empirical research on recovery has not kept pace with its ..
- Best Practices in Mental Health Research Ethics Conference SeriesJames DuBois; Fiscal Year: 2007Participants in mental health research frequently differ from participants in other types of medical research in significant ways including: stigma, institutionalization, cognitive deficits, and poverty...
- Mental Health and Service Utilization Among Reserve and National Guard ForcesSandro Galea; Fiscal Year: 2010The purpose of this work is to assess mental health and mental health service utilization over time among a representative sample of Reserves and National Guard within a multivariate causal framework that takes into account life course ..
- Evidence-Based Ethics and Mental Health Research with PrisonersMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..and application of ethical principles and regulatory safeguards by researchers and IRBs involved in mental health research with prisoners...
- Evidence-Based Ethics and Mental Health Research with PrisonersMARK E contact JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..and application of ethical principles and regulatory safeguards by researchers and IRBs involved in mental health research with prisoners...
- Hurricane Katrina Community Advisory GroupRonald C Kessler; Fiscal Year: 2010We seek support to continue mental health needs assessment tracking surveys in the Hurricane Katrina Community Advisory Group (CAG) beyond the two waves (baseline and one-year follow-up) for which we were originally funded...
- Mental Health and Mexico-U.S. MigrationJOSHUA A BRESLAU; Fiscal Year: 2010..for Psychopathology Using Existing Data Sets) to examine the relationship between migration to the US and mental health in the transnational Mexican- origin population...
- California MHS Act: Impact on Practice & Organizational Culture in Public ClinicsJoel T Braslow; Fiscal Year: 2010This project will analyze the changes in mental health care brought about by the California Mental Health Services Act (MHSA), focusing on the mechanisms by which change is achieved and the impact on client outcomes...
- California MHS Act: Impact on Practice & Organizational Culture in Public ClinicsJoel Braslow; Fiscal Year: 2007This project will analyze the changes in mental health care brought about by the California Mental Health Services Act (MHSA), focusing on the mechanisms by which change is achieved and the impact on client outcomes...
- California MHS Act: Impact on Practice & Organizational Culture in Public ClinicsJoel Braslow; Fiscal Year: 2009This project will analyze the changes in mental health care brought about by the California Mental Health Services Act (MHSA), focusing on the mechanisms by which change is achieved and the impact on client outcomes...
- MENTAL HEALTH AND BEHAVIOR IN ADOLESCENT STD PREVENTIONLydia Shrier; Fiscal Year: 2003..Adolescents are the population at highest risk for STD/HIV. Studies have suggested that mental health problems, including depression, low self-esteem, and low self-efficacy, may play an important role in the ..
- Mental Health Services in NY after WTC DisasterJoseph Boscarino; Fiscal Year: 2004The purpose of this research is to evaluate the impact of emergency and post-disaster mental health services for New York City (NYC) residents following the World Trade Center disaster (WTCD)...
- Promoting Engagement of Low Income ClientsCarol Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007Access to mental health care and treatment engagement are major problems for vulnerable populations living in low-income communities...
- Mental health in Iraqi refugees: Importance of post-displacement social stressorsBengt Birger Arnetz; Fiscal Year: 2010..with severe implications for social and occupational functioning while increasing the burden and costs of mental health and social services...
- Mental Health Effects of the Khmer Rouge Trials in CambodiaJeffrey Sonis; Fiscal Year: 2009..Cambodian survivors and reduce the desire for revenge, they may be able to reduce the burden of trauma-related mental health problems, such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Mental Health Effects of the Khmer Rouge Trials in CambodiaJEFFREY H SONIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cambodian survivors and reduce the desire for revenge, they may be able to reduce the burden of trauma-related mental health problems, such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Gender, Ethnicity, and Mental Health in a Rural StateCathleen Willging; Fiscal Year: 2004In the extensive literature on the mental health treatment needs of minority populations, scant attention has been given to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons, particularly those living in ethnically-diverse, rural ..
- Weight Development and Mental Health Symptoms in Adolescent GirlsKathleen McTigue; Fiscal Year: 2009The inter-relationship between the development of overweight and mental health problems is not well understood...
- ECONOMICS OF MANAGED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH CARERichard Scheffler; Fiscal Year: 2004This is an application for a Senior Scientist Awar5d to study the new economic relationships in mental health services created through the advent and growth of managed care, capitation, decentralization, and market competition within the ..
- The role of mental health, support and coping on the HIV risk protective and promDavid J Malebranche; Fiscal Year: 2010HIV is disproportionately impacting Black men in the South, and the role of mental health determinants (e.g., perceived stress, depression, gender role conflict) and culturally-specific coping strategies (e.g...
- Mental Health Outcomes in Abused Women (Polaris DV-MH)LINDA TOCHE MANLEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..1 of the most destructive social problems for women and families: domestic violence and the co-morbidity of mental health problems...
- Multi-Method Ethnographic Assessment of Behavioral Health Reform in New MexicoCathleen Willging; Fiscal Year: 2007The State of New Mexico will implement a major reform in managed mental health service delivery for low-income populations in July 2005...