Summary: Impotence caused by a diminution of blood flow to the penis. Arteries involved can be the terminal aorta, hypogastric, pudendal, penile, and cavernous arteries. Ectopic drainage of the corpora cavernosa via large superficial dorsal veins or abnormally large cavernous and crural veins can cause venogenic impotence. (From Walsh, et al., Campbell's Urology, 6th ed, p720). The expression "venous leakage" is seen often in international literature. Leakage refers to the failure of the blood to reach the penile erectile tissues.
Publications125 found, 100 shown here
- Vasculogenic impotence. Arterial and venous surgeryD S Rao
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Urol Clin North Am 28:309-19. 2001..Further studies are likely to refine patient selection but are unlikely to expand the therapeutic use of these procedures...
- Testosterone undecanoate restores erectile function in a subset of patients with venous leakage: a series of case reportsAksam A Yassin
Clinic of Urology Andrology, Segeberger Kliniken, Norderstedt Hamburg, Germany
J Sex Med 3:727-35. 2006..However, there are limited research and data supporting this association in humans...
- Corpus cavernosum from men with vasculogenic impotence is partially resistant to adenosine relaxation due to endothelial A(2B) receptor dysfunctionMiguel Faria
, , Universidade do Porto, L. Prof. Abel Salazar 2, 4099-003 Porto, Portugal
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:405-13. 2006..Endothelial dysfunction may be correlated with a loss of adenosine A(2B) receptor activity in penile vessels from men with vasculogenic ED...
- Effect of hypothyroidism on the NO/cGMP pathway of corpus cavernosum in rabbitsHakan Kilicarslan
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
J Sex Med 3:830-7. 2006..Hypothyroidism has been reported to occur in 6% of impotent men. There is some evidence suggesting that hypothyroidism may be a cause of impotence...
- Evaluation of penile revascularization for erectile dysfunction: a 10-year follow-upY Vardi
Department of Neuro-Urology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Int J Impot Res 16:181-6. 2004..We found that the cure rate of this procedure is maintained and long-term follow-up shows good results, especially in the young nonsmokers...
- Incidentally diagnosed Peyronie's disease in men presenting with erectile dysfunctionA Kadioglu
Section of Andrology, Department of Urology, Medical Faculty of Istanbul, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Impot Res 16:540-3. 2004..Our data indicate that one should always consider the possibility of PD in older patients with diabetes, presenting with only ED...
- Penile blunt trauma induced veno-occlusive erectile dysfunctionC-W Tsao
National Defense Medical Center, National Defense University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Arch Androl 50:151-4. 2004..Penile venous ligation, especially on the site-specific veins, is still the choice of treatment for the trauma-induced penile veno-occlusive erectile dysfunction, and the result is satisfactory...
- [Investigation of diabetic men with erectile dysfunction to determine coronary flow reserve (CFR) and cardiac risk under medication with sildenafil (Viagra)]W Merkle
Fachbereiche Urologie, Kardiologie und Diabetologie, Stiftung Deutsche Klinik für Diagnostik GmbH, Wiesbaden
Aktuelle Urol 35:222-7. 2004....
- Phentolamine re-dosing during penile dynamic colour Doppler ultrasound: a practical method to abolish a false diagnosis of venous leakage in patients with erectile dysfunctionP Gontero
Departments of Urology and Radiology, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London SE5 9RS, UK
Br J Radiol 77:922-6. 2004..It is essential to ensure cavernosal relaxation using phentolamine before a Doppler US diagnosis of venous leak is made. This two-stage assessment will allow this to be done efficiently and with a low risk of priapism...
- Plasma transforming growth factor-beta1 levels in patients with erectile dysfunctionJi-Kan Ryu
Department of Urology, Inha University School of Medicine, Incheon, Korea
Asian J Androl 6:349-53. 2004..5+/-2.8 ng/mL), and those without dyslipidemia (4.8+/-2.8 ng/mL) (P<0.05). CONCLUSION: Vascular risk factors are associated with an elevated plasma TGF-beta1 level, which may contribute to cavernous fibrosis and ED...
- Anatomic variations of cavernous arteries and their effect on measurement of hemodynamic parameters: a power Doppler studyHideo Sakamoto
Department of Urology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Urology 63:539-44. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: CA anatomy is variable, and the PSV differs between sites, irrespective of the presence of a vascular component to erectile dysfunction. Thus, anatomic variations should be considered when interpreting Doppler sonography...
- Effect of hypothyroidism on the nitrergic relaxant responses of corpus cavernosal smooth muscle in rabbitsBulent Sarac
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, Silvas, Turkey
Int J Urol 13:58-63. 2006..Also, decreases in contraction responses may depend on diminished adrenoceptor density...
- Enhanced external counterpulsation in patients with coronary artery disease-associated erectile dysfunction. Part II: impact of disease duration and treatment coursesAhmed I El-Sakka
Department of Urology, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
J Sex Med 4:1448-53. 2007..Recent results have demonstrated a positive impact of EECP on patients with ischemic heart disease (IHD)-associated erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Diabetes impairs endothelium-dependent relaxation of human penile vascular tissues mediated by NO and EDHFJavier Angulo
Fundación para la Investigación y el Desarrollo en Andrología 28304, Madrid, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312:1202-8. 2003....
- Physiological regulation of penile arteries and veinsD Prieto
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Int J Impot Res 20:17-29. 2008..In addition, only few studies have investigated the changes in structure and function of penile arteries in cardiovascular risk situations leading to ED...
- [Erectile dysfunction--value of neurophysiologic diagnostic procedures]M J Hilz
Neurologische Klinik der Universität Erlangen Nürnberg
Urologe A 42:1345-50. 2003..In addition, the assessment of heart rate variability at rest, during metronomic breathing, Valsalva maneuver, and active standing might be helpful to identify an autonomic neuropathy as the cause of erectile dysfunction...
- [Surgical therapy of erectile dysfunction. Current status]F J Martinez Portillo
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Urologie, Universität Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel
Urologe A 42:1337-44. 2003..There are convincing long-term results with a high degree of patient and partner satisfaction, high patient acceptance and a good functional durability of the mostly three-part hydraulic implants...
- [Diagnosis of erectile dysfunction--what is still needed today?]W H Weiske
Urologe A 42:1317-21. 2003..Invasive testing for ED has decreased due to the high responder rate for oral PDE-5 inhibitors...
- Functional and morphological improvement in erectile tissue of hypertensive rats by long-term combined therapy with phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor and losartanJorge Eduardo Toblli
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Hospital Aleman, Buenos Aires
J Sex Med 4:1291-303. 2007..Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARB) are both common and efficient therapy in patients with ED and arterial hypertension, respectively...
- The progression of the penile vein: could it be recurrent?Shyh Chyan Chen
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424 Pa Te Road, Sec 2, Taipei 105, Taiwan, ROC
J Androl 26:53-60. 2005..We therefore believe that the clinical recurrence may not be due to venous regeneration, and penile venous surgery, if properly performed, may be durable, although larger studies will be required...
- A three-dimensional model of the penis for analysis of tissue stresses during normal and abnormal erectionEran Linder Ganz
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1101:464-76. 2007..The model's ability to determine internal stresses in the erect penis offers a new point of view on the mechanical factors involved with erection, and enables us to relate these data with different penile pathologies...
- Sildenafil inhibits the up-regulation of phosphodiesterase type 5 elicited with nicotine and tumour necrosis factor-alpha in cavernosal vascular smooth muscle cells: mediation by superoxideMatthew R Hotston
Department of Urology, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, Avon, UK
BJU Int 99:612-8. 2007....
- Presence of LDL modified by myeloperoxidase in the penis in patients with vascular erectile dysfunction: a preliminary studyKarim Zouaoui Boudjeltia
Experimental Medicine Laboratory, ULB 222 Unit, ISPPC, CHU de Charleroi, Hôpital A Vésale, Montigny le Tilleul, Belgium
Eur Urol 51:262-8; discussion 268-9. 2007..We have developed a new monoclonal antibody against LDL modified by MPO (Mox-LDL) and have used it on penile biopsies from patients operated on for penile implant...
- Doppler evaluation of erectile dysfunction - part 2D Golijanin
Department of Urology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Int J Impot Res 19:43-8. 2007..This second part of the review article describes the various causes of ED and the interpretation and evaluation of color flow Doppler examination in ED...
- Management of honeymoon impotenceRany Shamloul
Department of Andrology, Sexology and STDs, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
J Sex Med 3:361-6. 2006..While its exact causes are not yet elucidated, many studies recognize this problem as related to performance anxiety...
- Effect of chronic lithium administration on endothelium-dependent relaxation of rat corpus cavernosum: the role of nitric oxide and cyclooxygenase pathwaysHamed Sadeghipour
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
BJU Int 99:177-82. 2007....
- Penile Doppler ultrasound assessment of the cavernous arteriesGiuseppe Dachille
Clinica Urologica, Ospedale San Giacomo, Monopoli, Bari, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 77:189-90. 2005....
- Dramatic improvement of penile venous leakage upon testosterone administration. A case report and review of literatureA A Yassin
Clinic of Urology Andrology, Segeberger Kliniken, Norderstedt Hamburg, Germany
Andrologia 38:34-7. 2006..He was also testosterone deficient (1.8 ng ml(-1)). Upon testosterone administration his erectile function improved dramatically. Repeated cavernosography no longer showed venous leakage...
- Peak systolic velocities may be falsely low in young patients with erectile dysfunctionRany Shamloul
Department of Andrology, Sexology and STDs, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
J Sex Med 3:138-43. 2006..However, several studies have demonstrated that in some cases Color Doppler Ultrasound (CDU) testing may result in wrong diagnosis because of anxiety and increased sympathetic stimulation...
- Polymorphism of endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene in patients with erectile dysfunctionErkan Erkan
Department of Urology, Haseki Teaching and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Sex Med 3:69-75; discussion 75-6. 2006..The eNOS gene is located on the seventh somatic chromosome and the polymorphism of this gene has been reported to cause changes in the structure of enzyme system, resulting in disturbance of its activity...
- The pleiotropic effects of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) on the physiology and pathology of penile erectionN F Gonzalez-Cadavid
LABioMed at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, and Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Curr Pharm Des 11:4041-6. 2005....
- Does the clinical efficacy of vardenafil correlate with its effect on the endothelial function of cavernosal arteries? A pilot studyEvsey B Mazo
Russian State Medical University, Urology Department, Moscow, Russian Federation
BJU Int 98:1054-8. 2006....
- Tunica albuginea overlapping: a novel technique for the treatment of erectile dysfunctionA Shafik
Department of Surgery and Experimental Research, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, 2 Talaat Harb Street, Cairo 11121, Egypt
Andrologia 37:180-4. 2005..Microscopic examination of TA biopsies showed atrophy of the collagen fibres. Tunical overlapping aims at correction of TA flabbiness, corporal tissue support and improving of veno-occlusive mechanism...
- Peak systolic velocity in patients with arterial erectile dysfunction and peripheral arterial diseaseE Vicari
Section of Endocrinology, Andrology and Internal Medicine, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Int J Impot Res 18:175-9. 2006..Therefore, ED patients with a severe arterial insufficiency should undergo an extensive echo-duplex examination...
- The synergism of penile venous surgery and oral sildenafil in treating patients with erectile dysfunctionHsien-Sheng Wen
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Androl 28:297-303. 2005..It appears that together, oral sildenafil and penile venous surgery may provide an encouraging solution to impotent patients with veno-occlusive dysfunction who are non-responders to sildenafil...
- Initial validation of a novel rat model of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction with generalized atherosclerosisK Park
Urology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Chongno-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Int J Impot Res 17:424-30. 2005..Based on these results, our study demonstrates that combination treatment of cholesterol diet with L-NAME would be used as a rapid, effective protocol of developing atherosclerotic rat model of VED...
- Erectile dysfunction in smokers: a penile dynamic and vascular studyAllen D Seftel
J Urol 173:2076. 2005
- [Conservative treatment of erectile dysfunction]György Papp
Országos Gyógyintézeti Központ, Andrológiai és Urológiai Osztály, Budapest
Orv Hetil 144:1061-6. 2003..According to authors' opinion, the qualitative development of vasoactive drugs (efficacy extension and side-effect reduction) that can be simply and conveniently applied in the future...
- [Dynamic infusion cavernosometry and cavernosography (DICC)]Koichi Nagao
First Department of Urology, Toho University School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 60:192-5. 2002
- Honeymoon impotence: psychogenic or organic in origin?M F Usta
Department of Urology, Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Urology 57:758-62. 2001..We investigated the underlying penile vascular abnormalities in patients presenting with honeymoon impotence and sought to differentiate between psychogenic and organic etiologies...
- Diagnostic steps in the evaluation of patients with erectile dysfunctionDimitrios Hatzichristou
Department of Urology and Center for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Urol 168:615-20. 2002..Specific diagnostic procedures may be limited in patients with primary erectile dysfunction or those without risk factors. Such clinical data support previously published guidelines for erectile dysfunction management...
- Why a combined intracavernosal injection with trimix and oral sildenafil is reliable therapy in the ultrasonographic evaluation of erectile dysfunctionJong Kwan Park
Department of Urology, Medical School, and Institute for Medical Sciences, Chonbuk National University, Chonbuk, Korea
BJU Int 102:993-7. 2008....
- Imaging for erectile dysfunctionIan Eardley
St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Curr Opin Urol 12:143-7. 2002..In addition, the new techniques of functional magnetic resonance imaging and positron emission tomography scanning are beginning to offer new insights into the central mechanisms which control erections...
- The physiological role of androgens in penile erection: regulation of corpus cavernosum structure and functionAbdulmaged Traish
Boston University School of Medicine, Department of Urology, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Sex Med 2:759-70. 2005....
- Corporeal structural and vascular micro architecture with X-ray micro computerized tomography in normal and diabetic rabbits: histopathological correlationD N Simopoulos
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Urol 165:1776-82. 2001..These results suggest that 3-D x-ray micro CT with molecular analysis may be a powerful tool for examining the pathophysiology of diabetic erectile dysfunction...
- Sildenafil citrate for penile hemodynamic determination: an alternative to intracavernosal agents in Doppler ultrasound evaluation of erectile dysfunctionM M Baçar
Department of Urology, University of Kirikkale Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 57:623-6; discussion 626-7. 2001..To suggest a new noninvasive method for penile Doppler ultrasound (PDU) evaluation of erectile dysfunction using oral sildenafil citrate as an erection induction agent...
- Color Doppler appearance of penile cavernosal-spongiosal communications in patients with normal and impaired erectionMichele Bertolotto
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche, Morfologiche e Tecnologiche, Università du Trieste, 34149 Trieste, Italy
Eur Radiol 12:2287-93. 2002..During phase 5 (systolic peak reduction) all CSC disappeared. Color Doppler US allows evaluation of CSC both in patients with normal and impaired erection...
- Penile duplex pharmaco-ultrasonography revisited: revalidation of the parameters of the cavernous arterial responseT G W Speel
Department of Urology, University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Urol 169:216-20. 2003..Sensitivity was 66% and specificity was 71%. CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study show that acceleration time has more power than peak systolic velocity to diagnose atherosclerotic erectile dysfunction...
- Sildenafil in erectile dysfunction: a critical reviewAndrea Salonia
Department of Urology, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Curr Med Res Opin 19:241-62. 2003..The review ends with several considerations regarding the direct and/or indirect impact of sildenafil over quality of life and quality of partnership...
- Androgens improve cavernous vasodilation and response to sildenafil in patients with erectile dysfunctionAntonio Aversa
AFaR CRCCS, Ospedale Fatebenefratelli Isola Tiberina, Rome, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 58:632-8. 2003..This led us to further investigate the effect(s) of androgen administration on cavernous arteries in patients failing sildenafil treatment...
- The effect of vascular endothelial growth factor and adeno-associated virus mediated brain derived neurotrophic factor on neurogenic and vasculogenic erectile dysfunction induced by hyperlipidemiaShahram S Gholami
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Urol 169:1577-81. 2003..VEGF and AAV-BDNF appeared to alleviate partially these changes. CONCLUSIONS: A high fat diet caused erectile dysfunction with accompanying neurological and vascular changes. VEGF and AAV-BDNF seemed to alleviate these problems...
- Biomechanical analysis of penile erections: penile buckling behaviour under axial loading and radial compressionGerald W Timm
Department of Urologic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
BJU Int 102:76-84. 2008....
- Human neural crest stem cells transplanted in rat penile corpus cavernosum to repair erectile dysfunctionYun Seob Song
Department of Urology, Soonchunhyang University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
BJU Int 102:220-4; discussion 224. 2008..K10 (K10) immortalized NCSC line was transplanted into the penile cavernosum of adult rats, as one of the causes of erectile dysfunction is damaged penile cavernous smooth muscle cells and sinus endothelial cells...
- Penile revascularization surgery in erectile dysfunctionD Hauri
Urologische Universitätsklinik, Zurich, Switzerland
Urol Int 70:132-40. 2003..Our technique produces good results in patients with diagnosed erectile dysfunction of vascular origin with a spontaneous erection when the occasion arises...
- Feasibility of dynamic 3-D color Doppler ultrasound for imaging penile vascular change in renal transplant patients with erectile dysfunction responding to sildenafilRatna Chatterjee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College London, London, UK
Ultrasound Med Biol 34:885-91. 2008..Differentiation of penile vasculogenic impotence from other causes is important for treatment...
- Management of peripheral arterial disease of the lower extremities in elderly patientsWilbert S Aronow
Divisions of Cardiology and Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59:172-7. 2004..ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene; and 3) vasculogenic impotence. However, amputation should be performed if tissue loss has progressed beyond the point of salvage, if ..
- Purification of a dimethyladenosine compound from silkworm pupae as a vasorelaxation substanceMi Young Ahn
Department of Agricultural Biology, National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, 61 Seodun Dong, Kwonsun Gu, Suwon 441 100, South Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 117:115-22. 2008..These results imply that dimethyladenosine may be a lead compound for the development and improvement of vasculogenic impotence drugs through phosphodiesterase inhibition and NO production in endothelial cells.
- Penile oxygen saturation in the flaccid and erect penis in men with and without erectile dysfunctionPriya Padmanabhan
New York University School of Medicine, Department of Urology, 150 East 32 Street, New York, NY 10012, USA
J Androl 28:223-8. 2007..Limited invasive blood gas measurements in human models have shown decreased oxygen tension in vasculogenic impotence. Normative data on flaccid and erect oxygen saturation (StO(2)) levels are lacking due to the invasive ..
- Cavernous arterial and arteriolar circulation in patients with erectile dysfunction: a power Doppler studyL M Sarteschi
Department of Andrology, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Italy
J Urol 159:428-32. 1998..Our preliminary data suggest that the intracavernous arteriolar component may have a significant role in the genesis of some forms of vasculogenic impotence.
- Management of peripheral arterial diseaseWilbert S Aronow
Divisions of Cardiology and Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Cardiol Rev 13:61-8. 2005..ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene; and 3) vasculogenic impotence. However, amputation should be performed if tissue loss has progressed beyond the point of salvage, if ..
- Is obesity an underlying factor in erectile dysfunction?W S Chung
Department of Urology, Medical Research Center, Ewha Woman s University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Eur Urol 36:68-70. 1999..We conducted a study to evaluate the impact of obesity on erectile function in men with erectile dysfunction...
- Management of peripheral arterial disease of the lower extremitiesWilbert S Aronow
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Compr Ther 33:247-56. 2007..claudication in persons interfering with work or lifestyle, (2) limb salvage in persons with limb-threatening ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene, and (3) vasculogenic impotence.
- Peripheral arterial disease in the elderlyWilbert S Aronow
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
Clin Interv Aging 2:645-54. 2007..claudication in patients interfering with work or lifestyle; (2) limb salvage in patients with limb-threatening ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene; and (3) vasculogenic impotence.
- Magnetic resonance imaging as a potential tool for objective visualization of venous leakage in patients with veno-occlusive erectile dysfunctionD G Kurbatov
Clinical Hospital 6 of Federal Medico Biological Agency, Moscow, Russia
Int J Impot Res 20:192-8. 2008..MRI visualized venous leakage patients, in which DICC did not confirm venous leakage. MRI may be a useful diagnostic tool for assessing veno-occlusive dysfunction in ED patients and may improve diagnosis of venous leakage visualization...
- Erectile dysfunction as a sentinel marker of endothelial dysfunction diseaseB Lojanapiwat
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, 110 Intravaroros Road, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Singapore Med J 50:698-701. 2009..Brachial flow-mediated vasodilation (FMD) is one of the accurate tests for evaluating endothelial function. We compared the endothelial function by FMD between ED patients without clinical signs of vascular disease and non-ED patients...
- Hypogastric artery preservation during endovascular aortic aneurysm repair: is it important?Peter H Lin
Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Semin Vasc Surg 22:193-200. 2009..Lastly, treatment strategies to preserve the hypogastric artery thereby obviating the need for hypogastric artery embolization are discussed...
- Clinical experience of a refined penile venous stripping surgery procedure for patients with erectile dysfunction: is it a viable option?Geng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Department of Urology, China Medical University and Hospital, Taichung and Taipei, Taiwan
J Androl 31:271-80. 2010..8 vs 7.9 +/- 3.2, P < .001, n = 121) during the same period of follow-up was, however, noted in the control group. This refined penile venous stripping surgery delivered favorable results and is a viable alternative for treating VOD...
- The prevalence and predictors of erectile dysfunction in men with newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitusAdel Al-Hunayan
Department of Surgery Division of Urology, Kuwait University, Kuwait
BJU Int 99:130-4. 2007..To determine the prevalence of and risk factors for erectile dysfunction (ED) in men newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- A mathematical model of penile vascular dysfunction and its application to a new diagnostic techniqueOfer Barnea
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69788, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1101:439-52. 2007..In preliminary measurements on young healthy volunteers, the feasibility of the measurement has been demonstrated. More studies are required to confirm the diagnostic value of the measurements...
- Heart rate reduction with ivabradine improves erectile dysfunction in parallel to decrease in atherosclerotic plaque load in ApoE-knockout miceMagnus Baumhakel
Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
Atherosclerosis 212:55-62. 2010..To determine the effect of heart rate reduction with ivabradine on atherosclerotic lesions and erectile dysfunction...
- Reversal of voltage-dependent erectile responses in the Zucker obese-diabetic rat by rosuvastatin-altered RhoA/Rho-kinase signalingChristopher J Wingard
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Department of Physiology, Greenville, NC 27834, USA
J Sex Med 6:269-78. 2009..Clinical studies suggest that a pleiotropic effect of statin's ability to enhance vascular relaxation might be through an impact on nitric oxide signaling or through a regulation of RhoA activation...
- An analysis of sexual health information on radical prostatectomy websitesJohn P Mulhall
Department of Urology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
BJU Int 105:68-72. 2010..To define the nature of information posted on websites related to radical prostatectomy (RP), specifically its accuracy and comprehensiveness, as RP is associated with erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Use and abuse of Rigiscan in the diagnosis of erectile dysfunctionEmmanuele A Jannini
Course of Endocrinology and Medical Sexology, Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
J Sex Med 6:1820-9. 2009..Shall we continue to consider these tools as a diagnostic gold standard in ED diagnosis?..
- Erectile function after posterior urethroplasty for pelvic fracture-urethral distraction defect injuriesJennifer T Anger
Department of Urology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90404, USA
BJU Int 104:1126-9. 2009....
- Office management of peripheral arterial diseaseWilbert S Aronow
Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, USA
Am J Med 123:790-2. 2010..are incapacitating claudication interfering with work or lifestyle in patients; limb salvage in patients with limb-threatening ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, infection, or gangrene; and vasculogenic impotence.
- Vascular risk factors as predictors of sexual function following coronary artery bypass graftOsama A Mohamed
Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, 7490 Bromton Road, Houston, TX 77025, USA
J Sex Med 6:2017-23. 2009..A strong association between cardiovascular risk factors and erectile dysfunction (ED) was suggested. Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) is the gold standard for surgical myocardial revascularization...
- [Vascular factors in the pathogenesis of diabetic erectile dysfunction]Rong Yang
Department of Urology, Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing University Medical College, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210008, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 13:255-9. 2007..In the development of diabetic vasculopathy, some vasomotion factors and growth factors undergo conspicuous changes, which may be significantly correlated with the development of diabetic erectile dysfunction...
- Cavernous nerve graft reconstruction using an autologous nerve guide to restore potencyMasaki Fujioka
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, National Nagasaki Medical Center, Nagasaki, Japan
BJU Int 100:1107-9. 2007..To present our experience of cavernous nerve graft reconstruction, using an autologous nerve vein-guide technique, to restore potency...
- Derangements in endothelial cell-to-cell junctions involved in the pathogenesis of hypercholesterolemia-induced erectile dysfunctionJi Kan Ryu
Department of Urology and National Research Laboratory of Regenerative Sexual Medicine, Inha University School of Medicine, 7 206 3rd Street, Shinheung Dong, Jung Gu, Incheon, Korea
J Sex Med 6:1893-907. 2009..Endothelial cell-to-cell junctions are crucial for vascular formation, networking, and remodeling of blood vessels as well as for inducing and integrating intracellular signals...
- Correlation between Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS) and sexual function in benign prostatic hyperplasia: impact of treatment of LUTS on sexual functionJae Hun Jung
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, Gyeongsang Institute of Health Sciences, Jinju, South Korea
J Sex Med 6:2299-304. 2009..Although many reports have shown a relationship between lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and sexual function (SF), it is not known which symptom(s) among LUTS should be treated to improve SF...
- Penile revascularization for erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of effectiveness and complicationsAli Reza Babaei
Department of Plastic Surgery, AJA University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Urol J 6:1-7. 2009..We aimed to determine the subjective and objective outcomes of PR surgery in patients with arteriogenic ED...
- Stereological and biochemical analysis of muscular and connective tissue components in the penile corpus cavernosum adjacent to the fibrous plaque of Peyronie's diseaseWaldemar S Costa
Urogenital Research Unit, State Universiy of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BJU Int 103:212-6. 2009..Because this fibrotic reaction is mediated by various inflammatory soluble factors, adjacent connective tissues might also be affected and this secondary effect might explain, for example, the erectile dysfunction that occurs in PD...
- Penile colour duplex ultrasonography as a screening tool for venogenic erectile dysfunctionH S Teh
Department of Radiology, Changi General Hospital, 2, Simei Street 3, Singapore 529889
Ann Acad Med Singapore 31:165-9. 2002b>Vasculogenic impotence is one of the major causes of erectile dysfunction. Cavernosometry and cavernosography is traditionally the gold standard for evaluation of venogenic impotence...
- The associations among eNOS G894T gene polymorphism, erectile dysfunction, and benign prostate hyperplasia-related lower urinary tract symptomsYung Chin Lee
Department of Urology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Sex Med 6:3158-65. 2009..However, there has been no report investigating the eNOS G894T genetic susceptibility factor for both ED and BPH/LUTS...
- Should erectile dysfunction be treated as secondary prevention for coronary disease?Graham Jackson
Int J Clin Pract 60:1335. 2006
- Chronic administration of an oral Rho kinase inhibitor prevents the development of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction in a rat modelKwanjin Park
Department of Urology, Korea Cancer Center Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Sex Med 3:996-1003. 2006..Thus, Rho kinase might be considered a novel target for the prevention of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction...
- Erectile dysfunction: a marker of silent coronary artery diseaseGraham Jackson
Eur Heart J 27:2613-4. 2006
- [Erectile dysfunction arising from polyarteritis nodosa: a case report]Takanori Kitauchi
Department of Urology, Nara Medical University
Hinyokika Kiyo 48:663-6. 2002..Internal-pudendal angiography revealed multiple microaneurysms in the bilateral internal pudendal arteries, suggesting that nodal polyarteritis caused arterial erectile dysfunction...
- A male cardiovascular sexual health clinicGraham Jackson
Int J Clin Pract 56:631. 2002
- [Erectile dysfunction]Peter Lyngdorf
Klinik for seksuelle dysfunktioner, Gentoftegade 49, DK-2830 Gentofte
Ugeskr Laeger 164:4779-83. 2002
- Tonic-clonic seizures in patients taking sildenafilRonit Gilad
Department of Neurology, Wolfson Medical Center, Holon 58100, Israel
BMJ 325:869. 2002
- Doppler US evaluation of erectile dysfunctionS H Kim
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yongon-dong, Chongno-gu, Seoul 110-744, Korea
Abdom Imaging 27:578-87. 2002
- [Erectile dysfunction in men under 39]Haruaki Sasaki
Showa University, Northern Yokohama Hospital
Nippon Rinsho 60:469-72. 2002
- [Penile venous surgery]Haruaki Sasaki
Showa University, Northern Yokohama Hospital
Nippon Rinsho 60:306-9. 2002
- [Color Doppler ultrasonography]Haruaki Sasaki
Showa University, Northern Yokohama Hospital
Nippon Rinsho 60:178-82. 2002
- Accumulated endogenous NOS inhibitors, decreased NOS activity, and impaired cavernosal relaxation with ischemiaHitoshi Masuda
Department of Urology and Reproductive Medicine, Institute of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 101 - 0062, Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R1730-8. 2002..These results suggest that the impaired NO-mediated cavernosal relaxations after ischemia are closely related to the decreased NOS activity and the increased accumulation of L-NMMA and ADMA...
- Usefulness of power Doppler ultrasonography in evaluating erectile dysfunctionA J Golubinski
Department of Urology, Pomeranian Academy of Medicine, ul Powstancow Wlkp 72, 70 111 Szczecin, Poland
BJU Int 89:779-82. 2002..To evaluate deep penile arterial flow after an intracavernosal injection with papaverine in patients with erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Combined Doppler, blood gas, and Bennet quick test for venous leak practical for prepenile prosthesis testing in solo private officesA H Horan
Department of Surgery, VAMC Fresno, Fresno, California 93704, USA
Tech Urol 7:288-9. 2001..The results in 90 patients suggest its selective use in the subset of nonresponding, nonleakers who have open cavernous arteries by Doppler, typically diabetics...
- The efficacy of sildenafil in different etiologies of erectile dysfunctionM Basar
Department of Urology, Kirikkale University, Faculty of Medicine Ankara Numune Hospital, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 32:403-7. 2001..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of sildenafil and success of treatment in particular etiological causes in erectile dysfunction lasting more than 3 months...
- Feasibility of multi-slice computed tomography in the diagnosis of arteriogenic erectile dysfunctionY Kawanishi
Department of Urology, Takamatsu Red Cross Hospital, Kagawa, Japan
BJU Int 88:390-5. 2001....
- Gene expression profiling of an arteriogenic impotence modelC S Lin
Knuppe Molecular Urology Laboratory, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 1695, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285:565-9. 2001..Finally, VEGF, whose induction has been identified in many other ischemic tissues, was not induced in corpus cavernous tissue of ligated rats...
- FEMALE SEXUAL AROUSAL: CLITORAL AND VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYAbdulmaged Traish; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Fall Risk and Bone Strength Among MenANDRE ARAUJO; Fiscal Year: 2009..Findings will continue to inform our understanding of bone fragility, bone loss, and osteoporosis. ..
- Volume-Outcomes in Incontinence SurgeryJennifer Anger; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary outcome will be re-operation rates, repeat sling procedures (for failures), and other postoperative complications, stratified by high and low volume surgeons and hospitals. ..
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Myocardial InfarctionRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN AGINGNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- CELL-SELECTIVE EXPRESSION OF FIBROTIC GENE PATHWAYSNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect that our studies would lead to the detection of novel targets of antifibrotic therapy for penile and vascular diseases of considerable public health impact. ..
- Cardio-vascular Impact of Inhaled Multi-wall Carbon NanotubesChristopher J Wingard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Test the hypothesis that inhalation of MWCNT alters vascular reactivity via impared adenosine signaling. Specific Aim 4. Assess the role of endothiela nitric oxide, oxidative stress and vascular function in MWCNT cardiotoxicity. ..
- Race, Comorbidity & Long Term Prostate Cancer OutcomesDavid Penson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Specifically, it will help newly-diagnosed patients make more informed decisions regarding treatment and will help researchers design novel interventions to improve the quality of life of prostate cancer survivors. ..
- QUALITY-OF-CARE INDICATORS FOR OVERACTIVE BLADDER SYMPTOMSJennifer Anger; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- 2007 AUA/SBUR Summer Research Conference "Clinical Trials and Outcomes Research"David Penson; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Fall Risk and Bone Strength Among MenAndre B Araujo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings will continue to inform our understanding of bone fragility, bone loss, and osteoporosis. ..
- ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN AGINGNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2001..The long-term goal is to validate pre-clinically the use of these agents for medical treatment of erectile dysfunction associated with aging. ..
- Erectile Function and the Influence of Rho-kinaseChristopher Wingard; Fiscal Year: 2003..If our hypothesis is correct, future studies may examine other modulators of this novel regulatory pathway and how potential alterations of this pathway may aid in treatment of erectile dysfunction. ..
- COLLABORATIVE R01-CARDIAC GRAFTS-FUNCTIONAL ANALYSESRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Biologic Ventricular Assist DeviceRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identification and characterization of transplants will be carried out with PCR analysis of the Y chromosome (male cells into female host), detailed histologic analysis and immunostaining for muscle cell markers. ..