Summary: A type of schizophrenia characterized by frequent incoherence; marked loosening of associations, or grossly disorganized behavior and flat or grossly inappropriate affect that does not meet the criteria for the catatonic type; associated features include extreme social withdrawal, grimacing, mannerisms, mirror gazing, inappropriate giggling, and other odd behavior. (Dorland, 27th ed)
- Theory of mind and the role of IQ in chronic disorganized schizophreniaMartin Brune
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Ruhr University of Bochum, Alexandrinenstr 1 3, D 44791 Bochum, Germany
Schizophr Res 60:57-64. 2003..Several studies have suggested a theory of mind (ToM) deficit in schizophrenic disorders. However, the role of interfering variables such as IQ, attention, memory, and severity of the disorder has remained ambiguous...
- [Hebephrenic schizophrenia]A Frikha
Hopital Sainte Anne, Service des Professeurs LOO et OLIE, 7, rue Cabanis, 75014, Paris
Encephale 31:S27-9. 2005
- Perceptual grouping in disorganized schizophreniaPeter J Uhlhaas
Department of Neurophysiology, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Deutschordenstr 46, Frankfurt am Main, 60528, Germany
Psychiatry Res 145:105-17. 2006..Perceptual grouping was examined with three psychophysically well-controlled tasks in patients with disorganized schizophrenia (n=11), non-disorganized schizophrenia (n=24), psychotic disorders other than schizophrenia (n=31) and ..
- Electrophysiological insights into conceptual disorganization in schizophreniaMichael Kiang
Department of Cognitive Science, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, Mail Code 0515, La Jolla, CA 92093 0515, USA
Schizophr Res 92:225-36. 2007....
- Three cases of schizophrenia for which olanzapine was effective after early acute phaseNobutomo Yamamoto
Department of Psychiatry, Shimofusa Psychiatric Medical Center, Chiba City, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 62:93-7. 2008..It clarifies a difference between early acute phase and late acute phase in medication...
- Catatonic schizophrenia has a shorter pre-hospitalisation interval than other types of schizophreniaN Mimica
University Department of Psychiatry, Psychiatric Hospital Vrapce, Zagreb, Croatia
J Neural Transm 109:203-12. 2002..Possible reasons causing this prolongation are discussed, as well as repercussions of the results to studies using age of first hospitalisation as the leading indicator...
- The cognitive basis of disorganization symptomatology in schizophrenia and its clinical correlates: toward a pathogenetic approach to disorganizationMarie Christine Hardy-Bayle
Laboratoire Universitaire de Recherche, University of Paris V, France
Schizophr Bull 29:459-71. 2003..On the basis of the same two anomalies, we then propose and illustrate a neo-Bleulerian approach to the assessment of communication disorders that is critical to the improvement of schizophrenic disorganization's clinical description...
- Augmentation of clozapine's antiagressive properties with lamotrigine in a patient with chronic disorganized schizophreniaZoran M Pavlovic
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:119-20. 2008
- Clinical risk factors for neuroleptic malignant syndromeDomenico Berardi
Institute of Psychiatry, Bologna University
Hum Psychopharmacol 17:99-102. 2002..We recommend a judicious use of neuroleptics not only in patients with acute catatonia, but also in patients with acute disorganization...
- Dopamine and serotonin function in untreated schizophrenia: clinical correlates of the apomorphine and d-fenfluramine testsFabrice Duval
Centre Hospitalier, Secteur VIII, 68250 Rouffach, France
Psychoneuroendocrinology 28:627-42. 2003....
- Methodological considerations regarding the association of Stroop and verbal fluency performance with the symptoms of schizophreniaTodd S Woodward
Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Schizophr Res 61:207-14. 2003..It is suggested that assessing and reporting a full range of test parameters can reduce between-study inconsistencies. Cognitive interpretations for the present set of results are discussed...
- Behavior patterns of patients with hebephrenic schizophrenia when they attempt academic studyTakatsuna Takeda
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Tone Clinic, Numata, Gunma, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 58:125-32. 2004..Cognitive dysfunction was the root cause of these behavior patterns, with the additional involvement of psychological factors...
- [Recurrent dysregulation of body temperature during antipsychotic pharmacotherapy]Stefan Löffler
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Klinikum Offenbach GmbH, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main
Psychiatr Prax 35:91-3. 2008..This case report presents a rare, potentially life-threatening vegetative disturbance, which can occur during pharmacotherapy of schizophrenia...
- Exploration of dimensions of psychopathology in neuroleptic-naïve patients with recent-onset schizophrenia/schizophreniform disorderJohn P John
Department of Psychiatry, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences NIMHANS, Dharmaram P O, Bangalore 560 029, India
Psychiatry Res 121:11-20. 2003....
- [Learned equivalence in schizophrenia: novel method for the measurement of memory functions of the hippocampus and basal ganglia]Orsolya Nagy
Bács Kiskun Megyei Onkormányzat Kórháza, Pszichiátriai Osztály, Kecskemet
Psychiatr Hung 20:363-9. 2005..High-dose first generation antipsychotics may disrupt BG-dependent learning by blocking dopaminergic neurotransmission in the nigro-striatal system...
- Schizophrenia and processing of facial emotions: sex mattersMarion R M Scholten
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, Netherlands
Schizophr Res 78:61-7. 2005..In conclusion, emotion perception was disproportionally affected in men with schizophrenia relative to women. This may explain, in part, why women with schizophrenia are less impaired in social life than men suffering from this illness...
- [Visuospatial context processing in untreated schizophrenic patients and relation to disorganization syndrome]R Longevialle-Henin
INSERM E 0117, Paris V
Encephale 31:323-9. 2005..Our goal was to explore the processing of spatial context and its relation to disorganized syndrome. This study was approved by the local ethic committee...
- Benefits of combining aripiprazole to clozapine: three case reportsFabio Lopes Rocha
Rua dos Otoni, 106, Santa Efigenia, 30150 270, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:1167-9. 2006..A substantial number of patients treated with clozapine shows insufficient response. The author presents the results of adding aripiprazole in patients resistant to clozapine...
- N100 evoked potential latency variation and startle in schizophreniaK A Young
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine, Scott and White Clinic and Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, Waco 76711, USA
Neuroreport 12:767-73. 2001..5) had a lower level of S1 latency jitter. Temporal variability thus plays a significant and complex role in previously reported sensory gating deficits in schizophrenic subjects...
- Relationships between hallucinations and disorganization in schizophrenic patientsS Kecskemeti
Secteur Hospitalo-Universitaire de Psychiatrie, Hopital Pinel, 80044 Amiens, France
Psychol Rep 89:106. 2001..In two samples of 150 and 310 schizophrenic patients, scores for hallucinations were significantly associated with scores on disorganization...
- Does the Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire reflect the biological-genetic vulnerability to schizophrenia?M G Vollema
Meerkanten GGZ Flevo Veluwe, P O Box 1000, 3850 BA Ermelo, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 54:39-45. 2002..Children scored higher than parents on Negative Schizotypy. The current study offers support to the hypothesis that the positive dimension of SPQ reflects the genetic vulnerability to schizophrenia...
- Acute hebephreniaSebastian Paus
Arch Neurol 62:1312-3. 2005
- "Hitting" voices of schizophrenia patients may lastingly reduce persistent auditory hallucinations and their burden: 18-month outcome of a randomized controlled trialJack A Jenner
Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center and Mental Health Care Foundation, Groningen, The Netherlands
Can J Psychiatry 51:169-77. 2006..This study aimed to investigate the outcome of an 18-month randomized controlled trial (RCT) on subjective burden and psychopathology of patients suffering from schizophrenia...
- Differential impairments of facial affect recognition in schizophrenia subtypes and major depressionGodehard Weniger
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Gottingen, Von Siebold Str 5, D 37075 Gottingen, FRG
Psychiatry Res 128:135-46. 2004..Depressive subjects displayed only minor deficits, and residual subjects were unimpaired. Subjects with disorganized schizophrenia rated emotional facial expressions as more aroused, and depressive subjects rated them as less aroused, ..
- Adult metachromatic leukodystrophy: disorganized schizophrenia-like symptoms and postpartum depression in 2 sistersHojka Gregoric Kumperscak
Department of Paediatrics, Maribor Teaching Hospital, Maribor, Slovenia
J Psychiatry Neurosci 30:33-6. 2005..Whereas one sister presented with disorganized schizophrenia-like symptoms as the initial manifestation of MLD, the other remained symptom free except for a 4-week ..
- Severe hypernatraemia due to nephrogenic diabetes insipidus - a life-threatening side effect of chronic lithium therapyL Sze
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, Kantonsspital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 114:596-8. 2006..Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus should always be considered in lithium-treated patients undergoing elective surgery in order to avoid severe hypernatraemia...
- Adult metachromatic leukodystrophy: a new mutation in the schizophrenia-like phenotype with early neurological signsHojka G Kumperscak
Department of Paediatrics, Maribor Teaching Hospital, Maribor, Slovenia
Psychiatr Genet 17:85-91. 2007..We report on two sisters with adult metachromatic leukodystrophy who display symptoms of both forms...
- Delay of gratification and executive performance in individuals with schizophrenia: putative role for eating behavior and body weight regulationSilja Knolle-Veentjer
Center for Integrative Psychiatry ZIP Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Christian Albrechts University, Niemannsweg 147, D 24105 Kiel, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 42:98-105. 2008..Still, the clinical management of weight gain, including educational programs, is insufficient. Therefore, we hypothesized that distinct executive impairment is associated with the inability to self-control food intake...
- Genome-wide linkage scan of schizophrenia: a cross-isolate studyKazima B Bulayeva
N I Vavilov Institute of General Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Gubkin Street 3, Moscow 117809, Russia
Genomics 89:167-77. 2007..in aggregation of distinct types of schizophrenia: one of the isolates had a predominant aggregation of disorganized schizophrenia, while the other three had predominantly paranoid schizophrenia...
- Disorganization and cognitive impairment in schizophrenia: independent symptom dimensions?Stefan Klingberg
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Tuebingen, Osianderstr 24, 72076, Tuebingen, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 256:532-40. 2006..Our results suggest that disorganization and cognitive impairment represent different symptom dimensions...
- [Clinical psychopathological research on late-onset schizophrenia--mainly patients with schizophrenia from a hospital psychiatric ward]Manabu Yasuda
Department of Psychiatry, Jichi Medical University
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 111:250-71. 2009..type has a tendency to show a better rate of successful recovery; however, there are situations where the condition reverts toward the "disorganized type", moving closer toward Kraepelin's early-onset disorganized schizophrenia.
- Abnormal glucose metabolism in the anterior cingulate cortex in patients with schizophreniaToshiro Fujimoto
Department Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8655, Japan
Psychiatry Res 154:49-58. 2007..FDG-PET demonstrated that schizophrenia may be a disorder with a dysfunction of fronto-striatal-thalamic circuitry including the cingulate cortex...
- Characteristics and use patterns of patients taking first-generation depot antipsychotics or oral antipsychotics for schizophreniaLizheng Shi
Department of Health Systems Management, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University, 1440 Canal St, Suite 1900, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Psychiatr Serv 58:482-8. 2007....
- Maintenance electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) for treatment-resistant disorganized schizophreniaEiji Shimizu
Department of Integrative Neurophysiology, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuou ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:571-3. 2007..We describe a patient with a serious case of disorganized schizophrenia who had not responded well with any typical and atypical antipsychotic drug for seven years, but ..
- Treatment refractory psychosis remitted upon treatment with continuous positive airway pressure: a case reportAlina Karanti
Section of Psychiatry, Institution of Clinical Neuroscience, Goteborg University, Molndal, Sweden
Psychopharmacol Bull 40:113-7. 2007..We report on a patient with schizophrenia whose treatment refractory psychosis remitted upon treatment of her obesity-hypoventilation syndrome (OHS)...
- The complex relationships between executive functions and positive symptoms in schizophreniaF Guillem
Fernand Seguin Research Centre, L H Lafontaine Hospital and Department of Psychiatry, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Psychol Med 38:853-60. 2008..In this study, we have investigated the relationships between different aspects of positive symptomatology and several executive subprocesses...
- An abnormal relation between basal prolactin levels and prolactin response to 12.5 microg TRH i.v. in drug-naïve patients with first-episode schizophreniaJohan Spoov
Diacor Medical Centre, Keskuskatu 7 C, 00100 Helsinki, Finland
Schizophr Res 119:41-6. 2010..v., but not by 12.5 microg TRH i.v. As far as we know, this is the first study to report an abnormality in TRH-induced prolactin release in acute schizophrenia...
- Are there valid subtypes of schizophrenia? A grade of membership analysisEdith Pomarol-Clotet
Benito Menni Complex Assistencial en Salut Mental, Barcelona, Spain edith pomarol gmail com
Psychopathology 43:53-62. 2010..Grade of membership (GoM) analysis is a multivariate statistical technique which has advantages when, as in schizophrenia, individuals conforming to pure types are uncommon and mixed forms are frequent...
- Distinct pattern of brain structural deficits in subsyndromes of schizophrenia delineated by psychopathologyIgor Nenadic
Department of Psychiatry, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Philosophenweg 3, D 07743 Jena, Germany
Neuroimage 49:1153-60. 2010..8% accuracy classifying any given scan to one of the subgroups. Patterns of psychopathology are meaningful parameters in reducing heterogeneity of brain morphological endophenotypes in schizophrenia...
- Quantitative motor activity differentiates schizophrenia subtypesSebastian Walther
University Hospital of Psychiatry, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Neuropsychobiology 60:80-6. 2009..However, the assessment has been limited to observations recorded in scales and experimental designs. The aim of this study was to use wrist actigraphy to obtain motor activity data in 3 schizophrenia subtypes...
- Preattentional processes and disorganization in schizophrenia: Influence of a 6-week risperidone treatmentI Amado
INSERM U796, faculté Paris Descartes, Universite Paris Descartes, Centre Hospitalier Sainte Anne, Paris F 75014, France
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33:1107-12. 2009..Visual orientation and attention are impaired in schizophrenia. Engagement and disengagement of attention and the ability to prompt responses to a stimulus in patients before and after six weeks of risperidone were compared to controls...
- [Psychopathologic and cognitive investigations in schizophrenia]Márta Farkas
Semmelweis Egyetem Mentális Egészségtudományok Doktori Iskola Budapest Balassa u 6 1083
Orv Hetil 150:423-9. 2009....
- [Maintenance electroconvulsive therapy and treatment of refractory schizophrenia]M Levy-Rueff
INSERM, U796, Physiopathologie des Maladies Psychiatriques, Centre Hospitalier Sainte Anne, faculté Paris Descartes, Universite Paris Descartes, 7, rue Cabanis, 75014 Paris, France
Encephale 34:526-33. 2008..It is ineffective on bewilderment, somatic complaints and negative symptoms...
- Distinct conflict resolution deficits related to different facets of SchizophreniaJohn G Kerns
Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Psychol Res 73:786-93. 2009..This evidence suggests that conflict processing is a multidimensional construct and that different aspects of schizophrenia are associated with impairments in processing different types of conflict...
- Association of dorsolateral prefrontal cortex dysfunction with disrupted coordinated brain activity in schizophrenia: relationship with impaired cognition, behavioral disorganization, and global functionJong H Yoon
Department of Psychiatry and Imaging Research Center, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, Calif 95817, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:1006-14. 2008....
- The clinical dilemma--prescribing in pregnancyRoshelle Ramkisson
Bolton, Salford and Trafford Mental Health NHS Trus, England
Psychiatr Danub 20:88-90. 2008..We present two cases where a choice had to be made as to whether to prescribe Olanzapine during pregnancy, with different results...
- The genetics of symptom dimensions of schizophrenia: review and meta-analysisT Rietkerk
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, B01 206, University Medical Centre Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 102:197-205. 2008..However, the genetic background of symptom dimensions is not clear...
- The architecture of cognitive control in schizophreniaValerian Chambon
Centre de Neuroscience Cognitive, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
Brain 131:962-70. 2008....
- [Discharge letters addressed to caregivers of psychiatric patients: support and psychoeducation]Rita Schmid
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Psychiatrie, Psychosomatik und Psychotherapie der Universität am Bezirksklinikum Regensburg, Regensburg
Psychiatr Prax 35:302-5. 2008..In clinical practise, discharge letters addressed to caregivers are rare...
- [The cardiovascular risk of schizophrenic patients]Andreas Birkhofer
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, TU Munchen
Neuropsychiatr 21:261-6. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine whether patients with schizophrenia, receiving antipsychotic medication have a reduced HRV indicating an elevated mortality risk...
- Communication disturbances, working memory, and emotion in people with elevated disorganized schizotypyJohn G Kerns
Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, United States
Schizophr Res 100:172-80. 2008....
- Amoxapine as an antipsychotic: comparative study versus haloperidolImran B Chaudhry
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:575-81. 2007..However, it did not prove to have fewer extrapyramidal side effects than haloperidol, possibly because the baseline scores were very low...
- The processing of emotional prosody and semantics in schizophrenia: relationship to gender and IQM R M Scholten
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 38:887-98. 2008..Because social impairment in schizophrenia has been found to be associated with deficits in emotion recognition, we examined whether the female advantage in processing emotional prosody and semantics is preserved in schizophrenia...
- Physical deformity associated with psychotic symptoms in two patients with schizophreniaMünevver Hacıoğlu
3rd Psychiatry Clinic, Bakirkoy Research and Training Hospital for Pshchiatry, Neurology and Neurosurgery
Turk Psikiyatri Derg 22:126-30. 2011..The patient, diagnosed with disorganized schizophrenia, developed cervical kyphosis, due to her constant neck flexion posture...
- A genetic variant of the serine racemase gene is associated with schizophreniaYukitaka Morita
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Biol Psychiatry 61:1200-3. 2007..Dysfunction of SRR may reduce the function of NMDA receptors and susceptibility to schizophrenia...
- Cell-type specific alterations of cortical interneurons in schizophrenic patientsPeter Kalus
University Hospital of Clinical Psychiatry Bern, Bolligenstrasse 111, CH 3000 Bern 60, Switzerland
Neuroreport 13:713-7. 2002..These results further support the assumption of a considerable significance of the ACC, an important limbic relay centre, for the etiopathogenesis of schizophrenic psychoses...
- Caregiver burden in recent-onset schizophrenia and spectrum disorders: the influence of symptoms and personality traitsJiska E D Wolthaus
Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:241-7. 2002..These findings suggest that psychoeducational programs should address the severity of disorganization symptoms to reduce caregiver burden in the early phase of schizophrenia...
- Nonverbal social perception and symptomatology in schizophreniaRosemary Toomey
Harvard Medical School Department of Psychiatry 116A at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center and Brockton West Roxbury Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 940 Belmont Street, Brockton, MA 02301, USA
Schizophr Res 53:83-91. 2002..The discussion reviews how these results contribute to our understanding of social deficits in schizophrenia...
- Spatio-temporal disintegration of visual perception in schizophrenia as revealed by a novel cognitive task, the Searchlight TestRyosuke Izawa
Department of Neuropsychiatry, School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
Schizophr Res 53:67-74. 2002..This test appears to provide a useful tool for studying the pathophysiology of disorganization syndrome, thought disorder and the related cognitive dysfunction of schizophrenia...
- [Autistic hebephrenia: concepts and findings]G Althaus
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 69:482-7. 2001..In ICD-10 and DSM-IV the usual concept of hebephrenia is a rather vaguely defined nosological category with a polymorphous non-specific symptomatology...
- Neuropsychological correlates of schizophrenic syndromes in patients treated with atypical neurolepticsS Moritz
Universitäts Krankenhaus Hamburg Eppendorf, Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Psychiatry 16:354-61. 2001..Previous findings reporting correlations between negative symptomatology and neurocognition may have been confounded by the adverse consequences of typical neuroleptics...
- Effect of clonazepam treatment on antipsychotic drug-induced Meige syndrome and changes in plasma levels of GABA, HVA, and MHPG during treatmentR Yoshimura
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 55:543-6. 2001..These results suggest that hyperactivities of the central dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurones are involved in the pathophysiology of Meige syndrome...
- Autistic disorder and schizophrenia: diagnostic overlapsM M Konstantareas
University of Guelph and Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Ontario, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 31:19-28. 2001..Although the findings continue to support the differentiation of autism and schizophrenia, they are also consistent with a comorbidity of the two disorders, mainly in those diagnosed with autism...
- Recognition of posed and genuine facial expressions of emotion in paranoid and nonparanoid schizophreniaP J Davis
Griffith University, Queensland, Australia
J Abnorm Psychol 109:445-50. 2000..Future research clearly needs to consider the posed versus genuine nature of the emotional stimuli used and the type of schizophrenia patients examined...
- Perceptual organization, the disorganization syndrome, and context processing in chronic schizophreniaS M Silverstein
University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Schizophr Res 43:11-20. 2000....
- Subtype-associated metabolite differences in the temporal lobe in schizophrenia detected by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopyH Fukuzako
Department of Neuropsychiatty, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
Psychiatry Res 92:45-56. 1999..These findings suggest that patients with the disorganized and undifferentiated subtypes have greater impairments in neuronal integrity or function in the left medial temporal lobe than patients with other subtypes of schizophrenia...
- Synapsin III gene polymorphisms and schizophreniaO Ohmori
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Neurosci Lett 279:125-7. 2000..Furthermore, no significant association was observed between either polymorphism and the diagnostic subtypes. Our results suggested that the synapsin III gene polymorphisms do not confer increased susceptibility to schizophrenia...
- Adult-type metachromatic leukodystrophy with a compound heterozygote mutation showing character change and dementiaY Fukutani
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Fukui Medical University, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 53:425-8. 1999..She gradually showed obvious dementing symptoms such as memory disturbance and disorientation. The characteristics of the psychiatric symptoms in the leukodystrophy are discussed...
- Multiple constraint organization in the brain: a theory for schizophreniaA Peled
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, USA
Brain Res Bull 49:245-50. 1999..In disorganized schizophrenia the disturbances of multiple constraint organization encompass most if not all brain systems...
- A study of cohesive patterns and dynamic choices utilized by two schizophrenic patients in dialog, pre- and post-medicationA Abu-Akel
UCLA Department of TESL Applied Linguistics 90095 1531, USA
Lang Speech 40:331-51. 1997..deficits in the linguistic performance of two Arabic speaking schizophrenics having a first episode of disorganized schizophrenia. Two facets of the conversational performance of each patient prior to and following antipsychotic ..
- CNR1, central cannabinoid receptor gene, associated with susceptibility to hebephrenic schizophreniaH Ujike
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Japan
Mol Psychiatry 7:515-8. 2002..011, OR = 0.208, 95% CI (0.098-0.439)). The present findings indicated that certain alleles or genotypes of the CNR1 gene may confer a susceptibility of schizophrenia, especially of the hebephrenic type...
- SPECT imaging, clinical features, and cognition before and after low doses of amisulpride in schizophrenic patients with the deficit syndromeGuillaume Vaiva
Department of Psychiatry, University of, Lille, France
Psychiatry Res 115:37-48. 2002..The psychometric and cerebral perfusion changes were no different in the two groups...
- [Managing agitation in acute psychotic episodes of schizophrenia]P Thomas
Service de Psychiatrie, Hopital M Fontan CHRU de Lille, 6, rue Veraehghe, 59037 Lille
Encephale 32:S12-3. 2006
- Mixed handedness is associated with the Disorganization dimension of schizotypy in a young male populationNicholas C Stefanis
University Mental Health Research Institute UMHRI 2 Soranou tou Efessiou str P O BOX 66517, 156 01 Papagou, Eginition Hospital, 74 Vas Sofias Ave, 11528 Athens, Greece
Schizophr Res 87:289-96. 2006....
- Anton's syndrome due to a giant anterior fossa meningioma. The problem of routine use of advanced diagnostic imaging in psychiatric careH Wessling
Unit of Neurosurgery, Joan XXIII University Hospital, Tarragona, Spain
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:673-5; discussion 675. 2006..We conclude that MR or CT scan is indicated in psychiatric in-patients who fail to improve with standard psychiatric treatment. This strategy should be submitted to a cost-benefit analysis...
- Theory of mind performance in schizophrenia: diagnostic, symptom, and neuropsychological correlatesTamasine C Greig
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry CMHC, 5th Floor, 34 Park St, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:12-8. 2004..that ToM performance differed significantly by schizophrenia diagnosis, with people diagnosed with disorganized schizophrenia performing the most poorly...
- A prospective study of serum ghrelin levels in patients treated with clozapineF M Theisen
Clinical Research Group, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
J Neural Transm 112:1411-6. 2005..Linear mixed model analysis could not detect effects of age, sex, BMI, SLL and serum clozapine levels on SGL. Our results do not support a causal involvement of ghrelin in clozapine-related weight gain...
- The course and clinical correlates of dysfunctions in visual perceptual organization in schizophrenia during the remission of psychotic symptomsPeter J Uhlhaas
Department of Neurophysiology, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Deutschordenstr 46, Frankfurt am Main 60528, Germany
Schizophr Res 75:183-92. 2005..Deficits in visual perceptual organization were observed for both tasks in disorganized schizophrenia patients at index and these deficits improved during the course of treatment...
- Dimensions of major psychoses: a confirmatory factor analysis of six competing modelsAlessandro Serretti
Department of Psychiatry, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Institute, Via Stamira d Ancona 20, 20127 Milan, Italy
Psychiatry Res 127:101-9. 2004....
- The assessment of "prodromal schizophrenia": unresolved issues and future directionsTodd Lencz
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Schizophr Bull 29:717-28. 2003..The dimensional quantification of prodromal symptom severity may be an important direction for future studies of the assessment of at-risk states...
- Disorganization syndrome is correlated to working memory deficits in unmedicated schizophrenic patients with recent onset schizophreniaC Daban
Schizophr Res 61:323-4. 2003
- Reduced levels of specific autobiographical memories in schizophreniaMarielle Riutort
INSERM Unité 405 Psychopathologie et Pharmacologie de la Cognition, Clinique Psychiatrique, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 1 Place de l Hopital, France
Psychiatry Res 117:35-45. 2003..Those impairments are consistent with the existence of an abnormal personal identity in patients with schizophrenia...
- Correlation between clinical syndromes and neuropsychological tasks in unmedicated patients with recent onset schizophreniaClaire Daban
E0117 INSERM Paris V, Service Hospitalo Universitaire, Hopital Sainte Anne, 7 rue Cabanis, 75014, Paris, France
Psychiatry Res 113:83-92. 2002..Thus, disorganized symptoms, more than any other, appear to be related to the impairment of executive function and WM in recent onset unmedicated patients with schizophrenia...
- Hippocampal pathology in two mentally ill paraphiliacsManuel F Casanova
Medical College of Georgia, 3B 121, Downtown VA Medical Center 24, Augusta, GA 30910, USA
Psychiatry Res 115:79-89. 2002..The accompanying astrocytosis indicates a reactive, ongoing process. The findings suggest new therapeutic interventions in the treatment of paraphilia...
- Use of neuroleptics after an episode of neuroleptic malignant syndromeR Padgett
Department of Psychiatry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 34:323-5. 1989..The Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome did not recur and the patient's psychosis cleared. Reference is made to the relevant world literature...
- Treating a schizophrenic patient with severe tardive dystonia without antipsychoticsTakefumi Suzuki
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:1141-2. 2007
- Cognitive mechanisms underlying disorganization of thought in a genetic syndrome (47,XXY)Sophie van Rijn
Leiden University, Clinical Child and Adolescent Studies, Wassenaarseweg 52, Leiden, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 112:91-8. 2009..Our findings are in line with those reported for schizophrenia patients with thought disorder. We speculate that the underlying mechanisms of thought disorder probably are deficit specific rather than disorder specific...
- No association between the sigma receptor type 1 gene and schizophrenia: results of analysis and meta-analysis of case-control studiesNaohiko Uchida
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Shikata cho 2 5 1, Okayama, 700 8558, Japan
BMC Psychiatry 3:13. 2003..It is necessary to evaluate further the possibility that the SIGMAR1 gene is associated with susceptibility to schizophrenia...
- Cognitive Control Deficits and Formal Thought DisorderJOHN KERNS; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Anterior Cingulate, Prefrontal Cortex, and Conflict-Control Loop TheoryJOHN KERNS; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Dynamics of Large Scale Cortical NetworksSteven Bressler; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Identifying Molecular Subtypes of Schizophrenia: A Novel Genomic ApproachTodd Lencz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Findings will create new opportunities for diagnosis and prediction of schizophrenia, and for understanding its biology. ..
- Identifying Molecular Subtypes of Schizophrenia: A Novel Genomic ApproachTodd Lencz; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings will create new opportunities for diagnosis and prediction of schizophrenia, and for understanding its biology. ..
- Identifying & Characterizing Prodromal SchizophreniaTodd Lencz; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will provide the candidate with the knowledge and research experience necessary to apply for an R01 to expand upon this research from a neurodevelopmental perspective. ..
- Dynamics of Large Scale Cortical NetworksSteven Bressler; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Dynamics of Large Scale Cortical NetworksSteven Bressler; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Dynamics of Large Scale Cortical NetworksSteven Bressler; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Dynamics of Large Scale Cortical NetworksSteven Bressler; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Identifying Molecular Subtypes of Schizophrenia: A Novel Genomic ApproachTodd Lencz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings will create new opportunities for diagnosis and prediction of schizophrenia, and for understanding its biology. ..