Genomes and Genes
Summary: A generic term for the treatment of mental illness or emotional disturbances primarily by verbal or nonverbal communication.
Publications339 found, 100 shown here
- Is guided self-help as effective as face-to-face psychotherapy for depression and anxiety disorders? A systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative outcome studiesP Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 40:1943-57. 2010..A systematic search in bibliographical databases (PubMed, PsycINFO, EMBASE, Cochrane) resulted in 21 studies with 810 participants...
- Computer-aided psychotherapy for anxiety disorders: a meta-analytic reviewPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cogn Behav Ther 38:66-82. 2009Computer-aided psychotherapy (CP) is said to (1) be as effective as face-to-face psychotherapy, while requiring less therapist time, for anxiety disorder sufferers, (2) speed access to care, and (3) save traveling time...
- Collaborative care for depression: a cumulative meta-analysis and review of longer-term outcomesSimon Gilbody
Department of Health Sciences, University of York, York, England
Arch Intern Med 166:2314-21. 2006....
- How psychotherapy changes the brain--the contribution of functional neuroimagingD E J Linden
School of Psychology, University of Wales Bangor, Bangor, UK
Mol Psychiatry 11:528-38. 2006A thorough investigation of the neural effects of psychotherapy is needed in order to provide a neurobiological foundation for widely used treatment protocols...
- The effects of psychotherapy for adult depression are overestimated: a meta-analysis of study quality and effect sizeP Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 40:211-23. 2010No meta-analytical study has examined whether the quality of the studies examining psychotherapy for adult depression is associated with the effect sizes found. This study assesses this association.
- Evidence-based comprehensive treatments for early autismSally J Rogers
M I N D Institute, University of California Davis, CA 95817, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 37:8-38. 2008..Implications of these findings are also discussed in relation to practice guidelines as well as critical areas of research that have yet to be answered...
- Changes in prefrontal-limbic function in major depression after 15 months of long-term psychotherapyAnna Buchheim
Institute of Psychology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
PLoS ONE 7:e33745. 2012..While these studies have examined the effect of short-term, interpersonal or cognitive-behavioural psychotherapy, the effect of long-term, psychodynamic intervention has never been assessed...
- Cognitive therapy vs interpersonal psychotherapy in social anxiety disorder: a randomized controlled trialUlrich Stangier
Department of Psychology, University of Frankfurt, Varrentrappstr 40 42, D 60054 Frankfurt, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:692-700. 2011..Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT) aims to change problematic interpersonal behavior patterns that may have an important role in the ..
- A review of empirically supported psychological therapies for mood disorders in adultsSteven D Hollon
Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA
Depress Anxiety 27:891-932. 2010The mood disorders are prevalent and problematic. We review randomized controlled psychotherapy trials to find those that are empirically supported with respect to acute symptom reduction and the prevention of subsequent relapse and ..
- Mediators and mechanisms of change in psychotherapy researchAlan E Kazdin
Department of Psychology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8205, USA
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 3:1-27. 2007There has been enormous progress in psychotherapy research. This has culminated in recognition of several treatments that have strong evidence in their behalf...
- Psychotherapy versus second-generation antidepressants in the treatment of depression: a meta-analysisGlen I Spielmans
Department of Psychology, Metropolitan State University, St Paul, MN, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 199:142-9. 2011Most meta-analyses have concluded that psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy yield roughly similar efficacy in the short-term treatment of depression, with psychotherapy showing some advantage at long-term follow-up...
- Does pretreatment severity moderate the efficacy of psychological treatment of adult outpatient depression? A meta-analysisEllen Driessen
Faculty of Psychology and Education, Department of Clinical Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Consult Clin Psychol 78:668-80. 2010..This study assessed whether pretreatment severity moderates psychological treatment outcome relative to controls by means of meta-analyses...
- Internet-delivered psychotherapy for depression in adultsNickolai Titov
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 24:18-23. 2011..The rapidly growing number of published research papers attests to the increasing interest in Internet-delivered psychotherapy (iPT)...
- Interpersonal psychotherapy for depression: a meta-analysisPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Psychiatry 168:581-92. 2011Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT), a structured and time-limited therapy, has been studied in many controlled trials. Numerous practice guidelines have recommended IPT as a treatment of choice for unipolar depressive disorders...
- Psychotherapy for chronic major depression and dysthymia: a meta-analysisPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology and EMGO Institute, VU University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Psychol Rev 30:51-62. 2010Although several studies have examined the effects of psychotherapy on chronic depression and dysthymia, no meta-analysis has been conducted to integrate results of these studies...
- Transference-focused psychotherapy v. treatment by community psychotherapists for borderline personality disorder: randomised controlled trialStephan Doering
Department of Prosthodontics and Material Sciences, University of Muenster, Waldeyerstrasse 30 48149 Muenster, Germany
Br J Psychiatry 196:389-95. 2010Transference-focused psychotherapy is a manualised treatment for borderline personality disorder.
- Treatment integrity in psychotherapy research: analysis of the studies and examination of the associated factorsFrancheska Perepletchikova
Department of Psychology, Yale University, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 75:829-41. 2007..evaluating, and reporting integrity; therapist treatment adherence; and therapist competence) implemented in psychotherapy research, as well as predictors of their implementation...
- Impact of concurrent naturalistic pharmacotherapy on psychotherapy of complicated griefNaomi M Simon
Center for Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston MA 02114, USA
Psychiatry Res 159:31-6. 2008..A targeted psychotherapy for complicated grief (CGT) was recently shown to be efficacious [Shear, K., Frank, E., Houck, P.R...
- Patients' preferences in the treatment of depressive disorder in primary careDigna J F van Schaik
Department of General Practice, Institute of Extramural Medicine EMGO, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 26:184-9. 2004..This may be caused by patients preferring psychotherapy, which is often not available in primary care...
- World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) Guidelines for Biological Treatment of Unipolar Depressive Disorders, Part 1: Acute and continuation treatment of major depressive disorderMichael Bauer
Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California at Los Angeles ULCA, 300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 2330, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
World J Biol Psychiatry 3:5-43. 2002....
- Brain blood flow changes in depressed patients treated with interpersonal psychotherapy or venlafaxine hydrochloride: preliminary findingsS D Martin
Affinity Research Unit, Cherry Knowle Hospital, Ryhope, Sunderland, SR2 0NB, England, UK
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:641-8. 2001..We hypothesized that venlafaxine hydrochloride and interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT) might each alter brain blood flow in some or all of these areas on sequential single photon emission ..
- Delivering interventions for depression by using the internet: randomised controlled trialHelen Christensen
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
BMJ 328:265. 2004....
- Therapist variation within randomised trials of psychotherapy: implications for precision, internal and external validityRebecca Walwyn
Biostatistics, Health Methodology Research Group, University of Manchester, UK
Stat Methods Med Res 19:291-315. 2010Nesting of patients within therapists in psychotherapy trials creates an additional level within the design...
- Evidence-based guidelines for treating depressive disorders with antidepressants: a revision of the 2000 British Association for Psychopharmacology guidelinesI M Anderson
Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist, Neuroscience and Psychiatry Unit, University of Manchester, UK
J Psychopharmacol 22:343-96. 2008....
- Combined pharmacotherapy and psychological treatment for depression: a systematic reviewSandro Pampallona
forMed, Evolene, Switzerland
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:714-9. 2004..Adherence to antidepressant medication use is a problem in clinical practice. Some authors have posited that combined psychological treatment facilitates adherence to pharmacotherapy...
- How central is the alliance in psychotherapy? A multilevel longitudinal meta-analysisChristoph Flückiger
Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Couns Psychol 59:10-7. 2012..Apart from this trend, none of the variables previously proposed as potential moderators or mediators of the alliance-outcome relation, alone or in combination, were found to have a mediating impact...
- Nonverbal synchrony in psychotherapy: coordinated body movement reflects relationship quality and outcomeFabian Ramseyer
Department of Psychotherapy, University Hospital of Psychiatry, University of Bern, Laupenstrasse 49, Bern, Switzerland
J Consult Clin Psychol 79:284-95. 2011..nonverbal synchrony--the coordination of patient's and therapist's movement--in a random sample of same-sex psychotherapy dyads...
- Introduction to the special section on stepped care models in psychotherapyD A Haaga
Department of Psychology, American University, Washington, DC 20016 8062, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 68:547-8. 2000..g., generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, eating disorders, and alcohol dependence) for which empirically supported psychosocial treatments are available...
- Efficacy of peer support interventions for depression: a meta-analysisPaul N Pfeiffer
Health Services Research and Development, Department of Veterans Affairs, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 33:29-36. 2011..To assess the efficacy of peer support for reducing symptoms of depression...
- Alliance in individual psychotherapyAdam O Horvath
Department of Psychology, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Psychotherapy (Chic) 48:9-16. 2011This article reports on a research synthesis of the relation between alliance and the outcomes of individual psychotherapy. Included were over 200 research reports based on 190 independent data sources, covering more than 14,000 ..
- Psychological treatment of depression: results of a series of meta-analysesPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, and EMGO institute, The Netherlands
Nord J Psychiatry 65:354-64. 2011..In the past few decades, a considerable number of studies have examined the effects of psychotherapies for adult depression...
- A comparison of narrative exposure therapy, supportive counseling, and psychoeducation for treating posttraumatic stress disorder in an african refugee settlementFrank Neuner
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany
J Consult Clin Psychol 72:579-87. 2004..These results indicate that NET is a promising approach for the treatment of PTSD for refugees living in unsafe conditions...
- National trends in the outpatient diagnosis and treatment of bipolar disorder in youthCarmen Moreno
Unidad de Adolescentes, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Servicio do Psiquiatría, Madrid, Spain
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:1032-9. 2007..Although bipolar disorder may have its onset during childhood, little is known about national trends in the diagnosis and management of bipolar disorder in young people...
- Adjunctive psychotherapy for bipolar disorder: state of the evidenceDavid J Miklowitz
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:1408-19. 2008b>Psychotherapy has long been recommended as adjunctive to pharmacotherapy for bipolar disorder, but it is unclear which interventions are effective for which patients, over what intervals, and for what domains of outcome...
- The efficacy of short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy in specific psychiatric disorders: a meta-analysisFalk Leichsenring
Clinic of Tiefenbrunn, University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:1208-16. 2004..The efficacy of psychodynamic therapy is controversial. Previous meta-analyses have reported discrepant results...
- Reducing suicidal ideation and depression in older primary care patients: 24-month outcomes of the PROSPECT studyGeorge S Alexopoulos
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College, 21 Bloomingdale Rd, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:882-90. 2009..This is the first report of outcomes over a 2-year period...
- Screening for depression in adult patients in primary care settings: a systematic evidence reviewElizabeth A O'Connor
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, 3800 North Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:793-803. 2009..In 2002, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommended screening adults for depression in clinical practices that have systems to ensure accurate diagnosis, effective treatment, and follow-up...
- Characteristics of effective psychological treatments of depression: a metaregression analysisPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychother Res 18:225-36. 2008....
- Change is not always linear: the study of nonlinear and discontinuous patterns of change in psychotherapyAdele M Hayes
University of Delaware, DE, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 27:715-23. 2007..A common assumption in psychotherapy research has been that change is gradual and linear...
- General practitioners' conceptions about treatment of depression and factors that may influence their practice in this area. A postal surveyStig J Andersson
Department of Clinical Sciences Malmo, Family Medicine, Lund University, MAS, S 20502 Malmo, Sweden
BMC Fam Pract 6:21. 2005..Therefore we wanted to examine Swedish GPs' conceptions of depressive disorders and their treatment and GPs' ideas of factors that may influence their manner of work with depressive patients...
- A systematic review of research findings on the efficacy of interpersonal therapy for depressive disordersMarcelo Feijo de Mello
Department of Psychiatry, Federal University of Sao Paulo, São Paulo SP 04026 010, Brazil
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 255:75-82. 2005Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT) is a time-limited psychotherapy for major depression...
- Evidence and implications for early intervention in bipolar disorderMichael Berk
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
J Ment Health 19:113-26. 2010..To review the evidence that supports early intervention in the treatment of bipolar disorder...
- Are psychological and pharmacologic interventions equally effective in the treatment of adult depressive disorders? A meta-analysis of comparative studiesPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 69:1675-85; quiz 1839-41. 2008..Whether both types of intervention are equally effective has not been established definitively...
- Web-based depression treatment for type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients: a randomized, controlled trialKim M P van Bastelaar
Department of Medical Psychology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 34:320-5. 2011..This study evaluated the effectiveness of Web-based CBT for depression treatment in adults with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, with minimal guidance...
- Tinnitus and insomniaTatjana Crönlein
Sleep Disorders and Research Center, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Regensburg, Universitätsstr 84, 93053, Regensburg, Germany
Prog Brain Res 166:227-33. 2007..Similarities between the results from these two groups suggest that sleep specific psychotherapeutic methods, which are established for treating insomnia, should be further developed for the use in patients with insomnia and tinnitus...
- The World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) Guidelines for the Biological Treatment of Bipolar Disorders: Update 2010 on the treatment of acute bipolar depressionHeinz Grunze
Newcastle University, RVI, Division of Psychiatry, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
World J Biol Psychiatry 11:81-109. 2010..Their purpose is to supply a systematic overview of all scientific evidence pertaining to the treatment of acute bipolar depression in adults...
- Designing research studies on psychosocial interventions in autismTristram Smith
Department of Pediatrics, Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood, Box 671, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 37:354-66. 2007....
- Collaborative care management of late-life depression in the primary care setting: a randomized controlled trialJurgen Unutzer
Center for Health Services Research, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, 10920 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
JAMA 288:2836-45. 2002..Few depressed older adults receive effective treatment in primary care settings...
- Pain predicts longer time to remission during treatment of recurrent depressionJordan F Karp
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3811 O Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:591-7. 2005..We hypothesized that greater pain and somatic scores prior to treatment with imipramine and interpersonal psychotherapy would predict a slowed time to remission from depression.
- Pragmatic evaluation of computer-aided self-help for anxiety and depressionIsaac M Marks
Department of Psychological Medicine, Charing Cross Campus, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
Br J Psychiatry 183:57-65. 2003..Most anxiety/depression is not effectively treated. Aims Open evaluation of a free clinic giving immediate computer-aided cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) self-help plus brief advice from a therapist...
- Treatment of bereavement-related major depressive episodes in later life: a controlled study of acute and continuation treatment with nortriptyline and interpersonal psychotherapyC F Reynolds
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, PA 15213, USA
Am J Psychiatry 156:202-8. 1999The authors tested the hypothesis that nortriptyline and interpersonal psychotherapy, alone and in combination, are superior to placebo in achieving remission of bereavement-related major depressive episodes.
- Mind does really matter: evidence from neuroimaging studies of emotional self-regulation, psychotherapy, and placebo effectMario Beauregard
Department of Radiology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal Quebec, Canada
Prog Neurobiol 81:218-36. 2007..Neuroimaging studies of the effect of psychotherapy in patients suffering from diverse forms of psychopathology (obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, ..
- Psychotherapy for depression among children and adolescents: a systematic reviewN Watanabe
Department of Psychiatry and Cognitive Behavioral Medicine, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
Acta Psychiatr Scand 116:84-95. 2007..To examine the clinical benefit, the harm and the cost-effectiveness of psychotherapies in comparison with no treatment, waiting-list controls, attention-placebos, and treatment as usual in depressed youths...
- Improving depression care for older, minority patients in primary carePatricia A Arean
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Med Care 43:381-90. 2005..This study examines whether a collaborative care model for depression in primary care is as effective in older minorities as it is in nonminority elderly patients in improving depression treatment and outcomes...
- Psychotherapy by primary-care providers: results of a national sampleSeth Himelhoch
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Services Research, 737 Lombard St, Room 516, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Psychosomatics 48:325-30. 2007The authors used the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey to examine visit characteristics associated with psychotherapy by primary-care physicians, as compared with psychiatrists...
- Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT) for late-life depression in general practice: uptake and satisfaction by patients, therapists and physiciansDigna J F van Schaik
GGZ Buitenamstel and Department of Psychiatry, Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Fam Pract 8:52. 2007Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) is recommended in most depression treatment guidelines and proved to be a suitable treatment for elderly depressed patients...
- The efficacy of problem solving therapy in reducing mental and physical health problems: a meta-analysisJohn M Malouff
School of Psychology, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, 2351, Australia
Clin Psychol Rev 27:46-57. 2007..22). Significant moderators included whether the PST included problem-orientation training, whether homework was assigned, and whether a developer of PST helped conduct the study...
- The alliance in child and adolescent psychotherapyStephen R Shirk
Department of Psychology, University of Denver Denver, CO 80208, USA
Psychotherapy (Chic) 48:17-24. 2011The therapeutic alliance has a long history in the child and adolescent psychotherapy literature...
- Long-term psychodynamic psychotherapy in complex mental disorders: update of a meta-analysisFalk Leichsenring
Department of Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, University of Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Br J Psychiatry 199:15-22. 2011Dose-effect relationship data suggest that short-term psychotherapy is insufficient for many patients with chronic distress or personality disorders (complex mental disorders).
- Motivational change in an inpatient anorexia nervosa population and implications for treatmentTracey D Wade
School of Psychology, Flinders University, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 43:235-43. 2009..an inpatient anorexia nervosa population: (i) does baseline motivation predict change in eating pathology; (ii) does change in motivation predict change in eating pathology; and (iii) can we increase motivation to recover in this group?..
- A quality-based review of randomized controlled trials of cognitive-behavioral therapy for depression: an assessment and metaregressionNathan C Thoma
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
Am J Psychiatry 169:22-30. 2012..controlled trials of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) for depression using the Randomized Controlled Trial Psychotherapy Quality Rating Scale (RCT-PQRS)...
- Online mental health treatment: concerns and considerationsMelissa Wells
Department of Social Work, 239 Pettee Hall, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Cyberpsychol Behav 10:453-9. 2007..We explore these issues and discuss implications for professionals who provide mental health treatment...
- Comparative effects of short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy in depression: a meta-analytic approachF Leichsenring
, Department of Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, von Sieboldstr. 5, , Germany
Clin Psychol Rev 21:401-19. 2001This article reviews the efficacy of short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy (STPP) in depression compared to cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) or behavioral therapy (BT)...
- Psychological aspects and psychotherapy of inflammatory bowel diseases and irritable bowel syndrome in childrenJan Prasko
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University, University Hospital Olomouc, Czech Republic
Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 154:307-14. 2010..Both are chronic, with remissions and relapses over the years while irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common, often disabling functional gastrointestinal disorder...
- Behavioral and psychosocial interventions for family caregiversSteven Zarit
Department of Human Development and Family Studies at Pennsylvania State University in University Park, PA, USA
Am J Nurs 108:47-53; quiz 53. 2008..Characteristics of effective approaches and flaws in study design...
- A randomised control trial for the effectiveness of group Interpersonal Psychotherapy for postnatal depressionRhiannon Mulcahy
Perinatal Mental Health, Mental Health ACT, GPO Box 825, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Arch Womens Ment Health 13:125-39. 2010This study is a randomised controlled trial comparing outcomes from an 8-week Interpersonal Psychotherapy group (IPT-G) for postnatal depression with 'treatment as usual' (TAU), conducted in a routine community setting in the Australian ..
- Pharmacological treatments that facilitate extinction of fear: relevance to psychotherapyMichael Davis
Emory University School of Medicine, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, and the Yerkes National Primate Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
NeuroRx 3:82-96. 2006..It is concluded that extinction is an excellent model system for the study of fear inhibition and an indispensable tool for the screening of putative pharmacotherapies for clinical use...
- Testimony psychotherapy in Bosnian refugees: a pilot studyS M Weine
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Am J Psychiatry 155:1720-6. 1998The authors sought to describe the use of the testimony method of psychotherapy in a group of traumatized adult refugees from genocide in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- Psychotherapy research needs theory. Outline for an epistemology of the clinical exchangeSergio Salvatore
Department of Educational, Psychological and Teaching Science, Via Stampacchia, 45, 73100, Lecce, Italy
Integr Psychol Behav Sci 45:366-88. 2011..paper provides an analysis of a basic assumption grounding the clinical research: the ontological autonomy of psychotherapy-based on the idea that the clinical exchange is sufficiently distinguished from other social objects (i.e...
- Pilot randomized controlled trial of individual meaning-centered psychotherapy for patients with advanced cancerWilliam Breitbart
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 641 Lexington Ave, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10022, USA
J Clin Oncol 30:1304-9. 2012..We developed Individual Meaning-Centered Psychotherapy (IMCP) to address the need for brief interventions targeting spiritual well-being and meaning for patients ..
- Modeling psychotherapy process by time-series panel analysis (TSPA)Wolfgang Tschacher
Wolfgang Tschacher and Fabian Ramseyer, University Hospital of Psychiatry, University of Bern, Bern 3010, Switzerland
Psychother Res 19:469-81. 2009..time-series panel analysis [TSPA]), by which prototypical process patterns are estimated using longitudinal psychotherapy process data. Empirical trajectories of 202 outpatients (15-107 sessions) were available...
- Preventing the onset of depressive disorders: a meta-analytic review of psychological interventionsPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Psychiatry 165:1272-80. 2008..A growing number of studies have tested the efficacy of preventive interventions in reducing the incidence of depressive disorders. Until now, no meta-analysis has integrated the results of these studies...
- Psychological interventions for major depression in primary care: a meta-analytic review of randomized controlled trialsBiancamaria Bortolotti
Institute of Psychiatry, Bologna University, Viale C Pepoli, 5IT 40123 Bologna, Italy
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:293-302. 2008..The present meta-analysis was aimed at assessing currently available evidence on the topic...
- The dissemination and implementation of evidence-based psychological treatments. A review of current effortsR Kathryn McHugh
Department of Psychology, Boston University, MA 02215, USA
Am Psychol 65:73-84. 2010..Recommendations for future implementation strategies will derive from evaluating outcomes of training procedures and developing a consensus on necessary training elements to be used in these efforts...
- The efficacy of psychodynamic psychotherapyJonathan Shedler
University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, 80045, USA
Am Psychol 65:98-109. 2010..The perception that psychodynamic approaches lack empirical support does not accord with available scientific evidence and may reflect selective dissemination of research findings...
- Effectiveness of long-term psychodynamic psychotherapy: a meta-analysisFalk Leichsenring
Department of Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, University of Giessen, Ludwigstrasse 76, 35392 Giessen, Germany
JAMA 300:1551-65. 2008The place of long-term psychodynamic psychotherapy (LTPP) within psychiatry is controversial. Convincing outcome research for LTPP has been lacking.
- The efficacy of various modalities of psychotherapy for personality disorders: a systematic review of the evidence and clinical recommendationsRoel Verheul
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int Rev Psychiatry 19:25-38. 2007..is to review the level of empirical evidence for four different formats and settings that are available for psychotherapy delivery, i.e...
- School-based mental health intervention for children affected by political violence in Indonesia: a cluster randomized trialWietse A Tol
HealthNet TPO, Department of Public Health and Research, Tolstraat 127, 1074 VJ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JAMA 300:655-62. 2008..Childhood mental health problems are difficult to address in situations of ongoing poverty and political instability...
- Dignity-conserving care--a new model for palliative care: helping the patient feel valuedHarvey Max Chochinov
PX246, 771 Bannatyne Ave, Winnipeg Manitoba R3E 3N4 Canada
JAMA 287:2253-60. 2002..Dignity-conserving care offers an approach that clinicians can use to explicitly target the maintenance of dignity as a therapeutic objective and as a principle of bedside care for patients nearing death...
- Adding psychotherapy to pharmacotherapy in the treatment of depressive disorders in adults: a meta-analysisPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1219-29. 2009A considerable number of studies has examined whether adding psychotherapy to pharmacotherapy results in stronger effects than pharmacotherapy alone...
- A quality-based review of randomized controlled trials of psychodynamic psychotherapyAndrew J Gerber
Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:19-28. 2011The Ad Hoc Subcommittee for Evaluation of the Evidence Base for Psychodynamic Psychotherapy of the APA Committee on Research on Psychiatric Treatments developed the Randomized Controlled Trial Psychotherapy Quality Rating Scale (RCT-PQRS)..
- A stepwise psychotherapy intervention for reducing risk in coronary artery disease (SPIRR-CAD) - rationale and design of a multicenter, randomized trial in depressed patients with CADChristian Albus
Dept of Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, University of Cologne, Germany
J Psychosom Res 71:215-22. 2011..However, previous psychotherapy trials in depressed CAD patients produced small to moderate effects on depression, and null effects on cardiac ..
- Examination of the utility of psychotherapy for patients with treatment resistant depression: a systematic reviewRanak B Trivedi
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, University of Washington School of Public Health, 1100 Olive Way, Suite 1400, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:643-50. 2011To examine the utility of psychotherapy in managing treatment resistant depression.
- Cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy versus interpersonal psychotherapy for early-onset chronic depression: a randomized pilot studyElisabeth Schramm
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Medical Centre Freiburg, Germany
J Affect Disord 129:109-16. 2011The only psychotherapy specifically designed and evaluated for the treatment of chronic depression, the Cognitive Behavioral Analysis System of Psychotherapy (CBASP), has never been directly compared to another depression-specific ..
- The role of psychotherapy in bipolar disorderSue D Lauder
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences Barwon Health, University of Melbourne, Geelong, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 193:S31-5. 2010..Evidence to date supports the use of adjunctive psychosocial interventions in the management of bipolar disorder...
- Treatment of pathological gamblingKit Sang Leung
Epidemiology and Prevention Research Group, Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Curr Opin Psychiatry 22:69-74. 2009..This paper highlights the development of pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments for pathological gambling and is based on a review of the literature published in the past 12 months...
- Enhancing multiyear guideline concordance for bipolar disorder through collaborative careMark S Bauer
Harvard Medical School and the Center for Organization, Leadership, and Management Research, Boston VA Healthcare System, MA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:1244-50. 2009..In a multiregion effectiveness trial in veterans with bipolar disorder, the authors assessed the effects of a collaborative care model for this disorder on guideline concordance in care over a 3-year period...
- 8-year follow-up of patients treated for borderline personality disorder: mentalization-based treatment versus treatment as usualAnthony Bateman
Halliwick Unit, St Ann s Hospital, Barnet, Enfield, and Haringey Mental Health Trust, London, UK N15 3TH
Am J Psychiatry 165:631-8. 2008....
- State of the science on psychosocial interventions for ethnic minoritiesJeanne Miranda
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 1:113-42. 2005
- Virtual reality in psychotherapy: reviewGiuseppe Riva
Applied Technology for Neuro Psychology Laboratory, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Milan, Italy
Cyberpsychol Behav 8:220-30; discussion 231-40. 2005..effective way to provide general and specialty health care services, and appears poised to enter mainstream psychotherapy delivery...
- Out-patient psychotherapy for borderline personality disorder: cost-effectiveness of schema-focused therapy v. transference-focused psychotherapyAntoinette D I van Asselt
University Hospital Maastricht, Department KEMTA, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 192:450-7. 2008Schema-focused therapy (SFT) and transference-focused psychotherapy (TFP) for borderline personality disorder were recently compared in a randomised multicentre trial.
- Placebo psychotherapy: synonym or oxymoron?Irving Kirsch
Faculty of Health and Social Work, University of Plymouth, UK
J Clin Psychol 61:791-803. 2005..Although expectancy also plays an important role in psychotherapy outcome, the logic of placebo-controlled trials does not map well onto psychotherapy research...
- A 5-year follow-up of general practice patients experiencing depressionIan Wilson
Department of General Practice, University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Fam Pract 20:685-9. 2003..Depression is a common disease in primary care and produces significant morbidity in the community. Little is known about the outcomes of depression in general practice...
- Integrating self-help books into psychotherapyLinda F Campbell
University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Clin Psychol 59:177-86. 2003This article describes a systematic and integral method of incorporating self-help books into psychotherapy as a collaborative function...
- World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) Guidelines for Biological Treatment of Unipolar Depressive Disorders, Part 2: Maintenance treatment of major depressive disorder and treatment of chronic depressive disorders and subthreshold Michael Bauer
University of California Los Angeles UCLA, Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Los Angeles, CA, USA
World J Biol Psychiatry 3:69-86. 2002....
- Delineating mechanisms of change in child and adolescent therapy: methodological issues and research recommendationsAlan E Kazdin
Child Study Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 7900, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 44:1116-29. 2003..Indeed, extending treatment trials to clinical settings, without complementary research that studies why and how treatment works, could have great limitations...
- Religious--sociocultural psychotherapy in patients with anxiety and depressionS M Razali
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian Kelantan
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 32:867-72. 1998....
- Do patients drop out prematurely from exposure therapy for PTSD?Elizabeth A Hembree
School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Trauma Stress 16:555-62. 2003..The results indicated no difference in dropout rates among exposure therapy, cognitive therapy, stress inoculation training, and EMDR. These findings are consistent with previous research about the tolerability of exposure therapy...
- Effects of psychotherapy for depression in children and adolescents: a meta-analysisJohn R Weisz
Judge Baker Children s Center, Harvard University, Boston, MA 02120 3225, USA
Psychol Bull 132:132-49. 2006..youth depression, plus recent concerns over medication safety, prompt growing interest in the effects of youth psychotherapy. In previous meta-analyses, effect sizes (ESs) have averaged ...
- Controlled clinical trial of interpersonal psychotherapy versus parenting education program for depressed pregnant womenMargaret G Spinelli
New York State Psychiatric Institute, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:555-62. 2003..APA has identified treatment of depression during pregnancy as a priority for clinical guidelines...
- Atypical features and treatment response in the National Institute of Mental Health Treatment of Depression Collaborative Research ProgramJ W Stewart
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 18:429-34. 1998..outpatients with major depression were randomly assigned to cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT), imipraminecase management (IMI-CM), or pill placebo-case management (Pbo-CM)...
Research Grants106 found, 100 shown here
- Optimizing Care for Older Adults with Back Pain and DepressionJordan F Karp; Fiscal Year: 2010..Treatment with combination pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy is often required for patients with difficult to treat MDD and CLBP, especially when they are comorbid...
- The Treatment of Binge Eating DisorderJames Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2004..research suggests that binge eating can be effectively treated in obese individuals using certain forms of psychotherapy such as cognitive behavioral techniques, and certain antidepressant drugs, strategies that have also been ..
- The Treatment of Binge Eating DisorderScott Crow; Fiscal Year: 2004..research suggests that binge eating can be effectively treated in obese individuals using certain forms of psychotherapy such as cognitive behavioral techniques, and certain antidepressant drugs, strategies that have also been ..
- Individual Meaning-Centered Psychotherapy in Advanced Cancer PatientsWilliam Breitbart; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have developed, manualized, and pilot-tested just such a novel intervention we call Meaning-Centered Psychotherapy (MCP)...
- A comparison of cognitive and dynamic therapy for MDD in community settingsMARY BETH GIBBONS; Fiscal Year: 2009..non-inferiority clinical trial that tests the hypothesis that a widely used form of manualized dynamic psychotherapy (supportive expressive psychodynamic therapy) is not inferior to cognitive therapy when implemented in ..
- A comparison of cognitive and dynamic therapy for MDD in community settingsMARY BETH GIBBONS; Fiscal Year: 2010..non-inferiority clinical trial that tests the hypothesis that a widely used form of manualized dynamic psychotherapy (supportive expressive psychodynamic therapy) is not inferior to cognitive therapy when implemented in ..
- Modeling Adherence to Psychotherapy for DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2009Abundant evidence supports the efficacy of psychotherapy for treatment of depression. Consumers often prefer psychotherapy as a first-line treatment...
- Patient Centered Depression Care for African-AmericansLisa Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2007..whites to be recognized as depressed, offered pharmacotherapy, and to initiate or complete pharmacotherapy or psychotherapy for depression...
- Improving the Effectiveness of Treatment for Depression in HispanicsCarlos Blanco; Fiscal Year: 2010..Dropout rates from pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy in Hispanics are substantially higher than in non-Hispanic whites...
- INTEGRATED TREATMENT FOR COCAINE AND MOOD DISORDERSJoy Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2003..Two levels of psychotherapy will compare integrated CBT and Clinical Management (CM) for depression and substance use...
- Psychotherapy for Major Depression in the CommunityPaul Crits Christoph; Fiscal Year: 2007Although an extensive literature exists on the efficacy of psychotherapy treatments for major depressive disorder (MDD), there is limited data on the effectiveness of such treatments in diverse, community-based real-world practice ..
- Meaning-Centered Psychotherapy in Advanced CancerWilliam Breitbart; Fiscal Year: 2002..We have developed and manualized an 8-week Meaning-Centered Group Psychotherapy, based on the principles of Viktor Frankl's Logotherapy, designed to help patients with advanced cancer ..
- Meaning-Centered Group Psychotherapy in Advanced CancerWilliam Breitbart; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have developed, manualized and piloted an 8-week Meaning-Centered Group Psychotherapy, designed to help patients with advanced cancer sustain or enhance a sense of meaning, peace, purpose, ..
- Pediatric MDD: Sequential Treatment with Fluoxetine and Relapse Prevention CBTBeth D Kennard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Despite several positive RCTs in both psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy with relatively strong response rates (55-65%), remission rates (being "well") remain ..
- Pediatric MDD: Sequential Treatment with Fluoxetine and Relapse Prevention CBTGraham Emslie; Fiscal Year: 2009..Despite several positive RCTs in both psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy with relatively strong response rates (55-65%), remission rates (being "well") remain ..
- Meaning-Centered Group Psychotherapy in Advanced CancerWilliam Breitbart; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have developed, manualized and piloted an 8-week Meaning-Centered Group Psychotherapy, designed to help patients with advanced cancer sustain or enhance a sense of meaning, peace, purpose, ..
- Improving HAART Adherence in Depressed HIV Clinic Patients: A Real-World RCTBRIAN W PENCE; Fiscal Year: 2010..A handful of small randomized controlled trials (RCTs) using psychotherapy-based depression interventions in PLWHA has tended to show improved ART adherence...
- Improving HAART Adherence in Depressed HIV Clinic Patients: A Real-World RCTBRIAN W PENCE; Fiscal Year: 2010..A handful of small randomized controlled trials (RCTs) using psychotherapy-based depression interventions in PLWHA has tended to show improved ART adherence...
- Dynamic Therapy Vs. CBT for Panic DisorderJacques P Barber; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have developed and tested a manualized psychodynamic psychotherapy for panic disorder, Panic Focused Psychodynamic Psychotherapy (PFPP)...
- Dynamic Therapy Vs. CBT for Panic DisorderJacques Barber; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have developed and tested a manualized psychodynamic psychotherapy for panic disorder, Panic Focused Psychodynamic Psychotherapy (PFPP)...
- Dynamic Therapy Vs. CBT for Panic DisorderBarbara L Milrod; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have developed and tested a manualized psychodynamic psychotherapy for panic disorder, Panic Focused Psychodynamic Psychotherapy (PFPP)...
- Dynamic Therapy Vs. CBT for Panic DisorderBarbara Milrod; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Treating Depressed, Cognitively Impaired EldersDimitris Kiosses; Fiscal Year: 2007..aims to support the candidate's research training to become an independent investigator in the area of psychotherapy for depressed, cognitively impaired, disabled elders...
- Antepartum Interpersonal Psychotherapy at 3 NYC SitesMargaret Spinelli; Fiscal Year: 2007..This application is based on findings from a previous bilingual controlled clinical trial of Interpersonal Psychotherapy adapted for APD (IPT-P)...
- Antepartum Interpersonal Psychotherapy at 3 NYC SitesMargaret Spinelli; Fiscal Year: 2009..This application is based on findings from a previous bilingual controlled clinical trial of Interpersonal Psychotherapy adapted for APD (IPT-P)...
- Group IPT-A in School-Based ClinicsLaura Mufson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The overall aim of this grant is to test whether group interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT-AG) improves the clinical effectiveness of the treatment of adolescent depression currently provided ..
- PSYCHOSOCIAL TREATMENT EFFECTS ON CANCER SURVIVALDavid Spiegel; Fiscal Year: 1999The goal of this study is to examine the psychological and physiological effects of a group psychotherapy intervention for metastatic breast cancer patients...