Genomes and Genes
Summary: Standardized objective tests designed to facilitate the evaluation of personality.
Publications157 found, 100 shown here
- Keratoconus, myopia, and personalityC A Cooke
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Victoria Hospital, Queen s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Cornea 22:239-42. 2003..To determine whether there is an association between keratoconus and personality attributes including obsessionality traits...
- Defense styles, personality traits, and psychopathological symptoms in nonclinical adolescentsPeter Muris
Department of Medical, Clinical, and Experimental Psychology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Nerv Ment Dis 191:771-80. 2003..Most importantly, regression analyses indicated that personality traits and defense styles both accounted for unique proportions of the variance in psychopathological symptoms...
- The brain's emotional foundations of human personality and the Affective Neuroscience Personality ScalesKenneth L Davis
Department of Psychology, The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28223 0001, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 35:1946-58. 2011..Links with ontogenetic and epigenetic models of personality development are also presented. Potential novel clinical applications of the CARE maternal-nurturance system and the PLAY system are also discussed...
- The biological basis of anger: associations with the gene coding for DARPP-32 (PPP1R1B) and with amygdala volumeMartin Reuter
Department of Psychology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Behav Brain Res 202:179-83. 2009..The present findings yield genetic evidence for the importance of dopaminergic signal transduction for the personality trait of ANGER. In addition volumetric MRI data support the role of the amygdala for the processing of anger...
- Polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter and monoamine oxidase A genes and their relationship to personality traits measured by the Temperament and Character Inventory and NEO Five-Factor Inventory in healthy volunteersJerzy Samochowiec
Department of Psychiatry, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Neuropsychobiology 50:174-81. 2004..Our results do not confirm the hypothesis that there is a simple correlation between single gene polymorphisms and a personality trait measured by the TCI and NEO-FFI scales...
- Validation of the dutch short form of the state scale of the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory: considerations for usage in screening outcomesAkke K van der Bij
Center for Quality of Care Research, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Community Genet 6:84-7. 2003..To validate the six-item short form of the state scale of the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) for usage in screening outcomes in a Dutch population receiving preconception counseling...
- Who are the people reluctant to participate in research? Personality correlates of four different types of nonresponse as inferred from self- and observer ratingsBernd Marcus
Psychologisches Institut, Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany
J Pers 73:959-84. 2005..We found only weak evidence of personality correlates of careless and selective item nonresponse. Findings show that nonresponse biases may have significant implications for representativeness in surveys and personality test norms...
- Association between personality and adolescent smokingZeena Harakeh
Institute of Family and Child Care Studies, Radboud University Nijmegen, PO Box 9104, 6500 HE Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Addict Behav 31:232-45. 2006..Additional findings showed that gender moderated the effect of Agreeableness on adolescents' smoking onset. Implications for prevention are also addressed...
- Reconsidering the role of personality in placebo effects: dispositional optimism, situational expectations, and the placebo responseAndrew L Geers
Department of Psychology, University of Toledo, 2801 West Bancroft Street, Toledo, OH 43606 3390, USA
J Psychosom Res 58:121-7. 2005..Prior investigations have failed to find reliable personality differences in placebo responding. The present study tests the hypothesis that personality and situational variables interact to determine placebo responding...
- Personality assessment based on the five-factor model of personality structure in patients with primary open-angle glaucomaFumihiko Mabuchi
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Yamanashi, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 49:31-5. 2005..However, none of the previous studies used a common structural theory of personality. In this study, we conducted a multicenter cross-sectional case-control study using the recently established five-factor model of personality structure...
- The reverse of social anxiety is not always the opposite: the reverse-scored items of the social interaction anxiety scale do not belongThomas L Rodebaugh
Washington University in Saint Louis, USA
Behav Ther 38:192-206. 2007..Given the above results, we suggest investigators consider performing data analyses using only the straightforwardly worded items of the SIAS...
- [Psychological features and cognitive styles of students entering medicine and other careers at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile]Marcela Bitran
Centro de Educación Médica, Escuela de Medicina, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago Centro
Rev Med Chil 132:809-15. 2004..However, it is also possible that medical students are similar to the students admitted to any other career with high admission requirements...
- Neurobiological dimensional models of personality: a review of the models of Cloninger, Depue, and SieverJoel Paris
Department of Psychiatry at McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Pers Disord 19:156-70. 2005..Our current understanding of neurobiology is insufficient to develop a model of personality on this basis. At this point, dimensions of personality should be derived from factor analysis rather than from neurobiological theories...
- Personality traits distinguishing dementia with Lewy bodies from Alzheimer diseaseJames E Galvin
Alzheimer Disease Research Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Neurology 68:1895-901. 2007..To identify personality traits that distinguish dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) from Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- Psychological mindedness and cognitive styleMark Beitel
Marymount Manhattan College, USA
J Clin Psychol 60:567-82. 2004..High-PM individuals are likely to bring these cognitive resources to bear in psychotherapy, a tendency that might explain why high PM patients make better use of treatment...
- An update on molecular genetic studies of human personality traitsRichard P Ebstein
S Herzog Memorial Hospital and Psychology Department, Scheinfeld Center, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
Appl Bioinformatics 1:57-68. 2002....
- Four dimensions of self-defining memories (specificity, meaning, content, and affect) and their relationships to self-restraint, distress, and repressive defensivenessPavel S Blagov
Emory University, USA
J Pers 72:481-511. 2004..Based on these findings, the authors discuss the place of self-defining memories in Conway and Pleydell-Pearce's Self-Memory System model of autobiographical memory and personality, more generally...
- Patterns of psychopathological manifestations among ethnic Chinese living in BrazilYuan Pang Wang
Instituto de Psiquiatria Hospital das Clínicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, R Dr Ovídio Pires de Campos s n, Caixa Postal 8091, CEP 05403 010, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 254:36-42. 2004..This paper evaluates CMD among ethnic Chinese living in Brazil, by examining its psychometric properties and factorial structure of CHQ-12...
- Alterations of the sense of self and personality in Parkinson's diseasePatrick McNamara
Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine, VA Boston Healthcare System, MA 02130, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23:79-84. 2008..We hypothesized that alterations of subcomponents ('harm-avoidance') of personality and the sense of Self in patients with PD would be associated with executive cognitive dysfunction...
- Personality influences limbic-cortical interactions during sad mood inductionMichelle L Keightley
Rotman Research Institute, Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neuroimage 20:2031-9. 2003....
- Emotional conflict and neuroticism: personality-dependent activation in the amygdala and subgenual anterior cingulateBrian W Haas
Department of Psychology, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Behav Neurosci 121:249-56. 2007..This effect was driven to a greater extent by the anxious relative to the depressive characteristics of neuroticism and may constitute vulnerability markers for anxiety-related disorders...
- Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: a benign disorder? Personality traits and psychiatric symptomsBelinda Plattner
Universitätsklinik für Neuropsychiatrie des Kindes und Jugendalters, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Wien, Vienna, Austria
Epilepsy Behav 10:560-4. 2007..The aim of the present study was to investigate whether juveniles with a short history of JME exhibit psychopathological symptoms and/or personality irregularities...
- The Val66Met coding variant of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene does not contribute toward variation in the personality trait neuroticismSaffron A G Willis-Owen
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, Oxford University, Oxford, UK
Biol Psychiatry 58:738-42. 2005..The val66met variant located within the brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene (BDNF) has previously been associated with human neuroticism, a dimension of personality strongly predictive of depressive illness...
- Can personality traits help us explain disability in chronic schizophrenia?Andres Herran
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Marques de Valdecilla, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 60:538-45. 2006..Outpatients with chronic schizophrenia showed high levels of neuroticism, harm avoidance, and introversion. Neuroticism significantly contributes to the long-term deficits found in patients with schizophrenia...
- [Affective temperaments: psychometric properties of the Hungarian TEMPS-A]Sándorter Rózsa
Eotvos Lorand Tudomanyegyetem, Pedagogiai és Pszichologiai Intezet, Budapest, Hungary
Psychiatr Hung 21:147-60. 2006..Based on the results obtained with the Hungarian normative sample, the TEMPS-A is a reliable and valid instrument in personality psychology, and further refinement on clinical samples opens new and interesting research avenues...
- Association between a polymorphism in the promoter region of the TPH2 gene and the personality trait of harm avoidanceMartin Reuter
Center of Psychobiology and Behavioral Medicine, Department of Psychology, Justus Liebig University of Giessen, Otto Behaghel Strasse 10F, D 35394 Giessen, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 10:401-4. 2007..A significant association between harm avoidance (HA), a trait related to anxiety, and the -703 G/T polymorphism was detected supporting the findings by Gutknecht and colleagues...
- Associations between delusion proneness and personality structure in non-clinical participants: comparison between young and elderly samplesFrank Larøi
Cognitive Psychopathology Unit, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Psychopathology 39:218-26. 2006..The aims of the present study were, first, to explore the relation between age and the prevalence of delusion proneness and, second, to examine the association between personality and delusion proneness in young and elderly participants...
- No association between the Clara cell secretory protein (CC16) gene polymorphism and personality traitsMamoru Tochigi
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:1122-4. 2006..As a result, no significant association was observed between the genotypes and the scores of the NEO PI-R or the STAI. The present results suggest that CC16 may not have a major role in the development of personality traits...
- Tryptophan hydroxylase-2 gene variation influences personality traits and disorders related to emotional dysregulationLise Gutknecht
Molecular and Clinical Psychobiology, Department for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Wurzburg, Fuchsleinstrasse 15, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 10:309-20. 2007..These findings implicate alterations of 5-HT synthesis in emotion regulation and confirm TPH2 as a susceptibility and/or modifier gene of affective spectrum disorders...
- The NEO-FFI is a reliable measure of premorbid personality in patients with probable Alzheimer's diseaseNicola Archer
Section of Old Age Psychiatry, King s College London, Institute of Psychiatry, Section of Old Age Psychiatry, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:477-84. 2006..To assess the inter-informant reliability, intra-informant reliability and internal consistency of the NEO-FFI as a measure of premorbid personality in patients with Alzheimer's Disease (AD)...
- [Psychophysiological indices in six- to eight-year-old children under information load depending on anxiety as a stable individual characteristic]I A Krivolapchuk
Fiziol Cheloveka 32:13-21. 2006
- Integration of multidimensional self-concept and core personality constructs: construct validation and relations to well-being and achievementHerbert W Marsh
SELF Research Centre, University of Western Sydney, Australia
J Pers 74:403-56. 2006..Self-esteem, Big Five, and well-being factors explained only small amounts of variance in academic outcomes and support for their incremental validity after controlling for specific self-concept factors was weak...
- Personality disorder symptomatology and neuropsychological functioning in closed head injuryAnthony C Ruocco
Drexel University, Department of Psychology, 245 North 15th Street, Mail Stop 626, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 19:27-35. 2007..Results suggest that many personality disorder traits are related to neurocognitive function, particularly those functions subserved by frontal and temporal regions...
- Cloninger's temperament dimensions and epidermal growth factor A61G polymorphism in Finnish adultsL Keltikangas-Jarvinen
Department of Psychology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Genes Brain Behav 5:11-8. 2006..Our results demonstrate the importance of reliable phenotype assessment and lend support to the hypothesis that dopaminergic activity is one factor underlying stable temperament...
- [Prognostic value of studying personality traits of civil aviation pilots]T A Krapivnitskaia
Fiziol Cheloveka 33:97-100. 2007
- Could personality traits modify the response to uncorrected high hyperopia?Onder Uretmen
Department of Ophthalmology, Ege University School of Medicine, 35100 Bornova Izmir, Turkey
J AAPOS 9:480-4. 2005..We aimed to measure temperament and investigate personality in children with high hyperopia considering that these could modify the individual response to uncorrected high hyperopia...
- Co-morbidity of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder with focus on personality traits and related disorders in a tertiary referral centerChristian P Jacob
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Wuerzburg, Fuechsleinstr 15, 97080, Wuerzburg, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 257:309-17. 2007..The prevalence and consequences of co-morbid axis-I and axis-II disorders as well as personality traits were examined in a large cohort of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AADHD) at a tertiary referral center...
- Association study of a functional MAOA-uVNTR gene polymorphism and personality traits in Chinese young femalesYounger W Y Yu
Yu s Psychiatric Clinic, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Neuropsychobiology 52:118-21. 2005..These results suggest that genetic variants of the MAOA gene may play a role in HA, but not in Novelty Seeking or Reward Dependence...
- Personality traits associated with caffeine intake and smokingManuel Gurpegui
Department of Psychiatry and Institute of Neurosciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Granada, Av Madrid 11, Granada, Spain
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:997-1005. 2007....
- Morning and evening personality characteristics in a sample of young ItaliansG M Cavallera
Psychology Department, Catholic University of the Sacred Hearth, Largo Gemelli 1, 20123 Milan, Italy
Percept Mot Skills 104:277-86. 2007....
- Trait anxiety modulates supraliminal and subliminal threat: brain potential evidence for early and late processing influencesWen Li
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA
Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 7:25-36. 2007..These results suggest that unconscious analysis of threat is intensified in those prone to anxiety, as is a later stage of threat processing subject to dynamic interactions between automatic and strategic influences...
- Personality types and coping style in hemodialysis patientsRuriko Kidachi
Department of Development and Aging, Division of Health Sciences, Graduate School of Health Sciences, Hirosaki University, Hirosaki, Aomori, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 61:339-47. 2007..The last type was the balanced type (33.9%), which was defined by scores within mean range. In clinical practice, it is particularly important that the submissive and sensitive types should receive appropriate mental health care...
- High-risk sexual behaviour & sensation seeking among heavy alcohol usersP S Chandra
Department of Psychiatry, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, India
Indian J Med Res 117:88-92. 2003..This study was undertaken with the aim to assess the relationship between sensation seeking and sexual risk taking among heavy alcohol users admitted to a De-addiction centre...
- Construct validity of the Life Orientation TestDiana Roscow Terrill
Counseling Center, Towson University, USA
J Pers Assess 79:550-63. 2002..Faking instructions did not significantly affect scores on the Hope Scale...
- [Personality and personality disorders II. The Specificity of the DAPP-model as a diagnostic system for personality disorders]E M Steinmeyer
Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Universität zu Köln
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 70:641-6. 2002..Overall results support the assumption that PD can be represented by a dimensional system of personality traits with sufficient sensitivity and specificity...
- [Personality and personality disorders I. Universality and sensitivity of dimensional personality models as diagnostic systems for personality disorders]E M Steinmeyer
Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Universität zu Köln
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 70:630-40. 2002....
- Personality profiles in patients with eating disordersMasahito Tomotake
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Tokushima School of Medicine, Japan
J Med Invest 49:87-96. 2002..The assessment of personality in a cross-sectional study, however, might be influenced by the various states of the illness. Therefore, a sophisticated longitudinal study will be required to advance this area of research...
- Personality and gender differences in effects of d-amphetamine on risk takingTara L White
Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 15:599-609. 2007..There was evidence of discriminant validity between the AgPEM, NEM, and CON dimensions and behavioral responses to amphetamine. Implications for treatment and addiction are discussed. (c) 2008 APA, all rights reserved...
- Effects of (+/-) 3,4-methylene-dioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy) on dopamine system function in humansGilberto Gerra
Centro Studi Farmacotossicodipendenze, SERT, AUSL di Parma, Via Spalato 2, 43100 Parma, Italy
Behav Brain Res 134:403-10. 2002....
- Cortical atrophy and personality in multiple sclerosisRalph H B Benedict
Department of Neurology, State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine, New York, USA
Neuropsychology 22:432-41. 2008..There are reliable personality tests available for research in neurological disease, based on the well-known Five Factor Model...
- Personality traits and brain dopaminergic function in Parkinson's diseaseV Kaasinen
Departments of Neurology and Radiology, University of Turku, and Turku PET Centre, P.O. Box 52, FIN-20521, Turku, Finland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:13272-7. 2001..The correlation between the personality trait of harm avoidance and (18)F-dopa may reflect a specific feedback circuitry of neurotransmitters that is associated with negative emotionality in Parkinson's disease...
- Personality traits and sensitivity to pain in male chronic opioid addictsElon Eisenberg
Pain Relief Unit, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
J Opioid Manag 3:225-30. 2007..The aim of the present study was to examine the relations between personality traits and pain perception among in-treatment OAs in comparison with controls...
- Personality, treatment choice and satisfaction in patients with localized prostate cancerCraig A Block
Department of Urology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Int J Urol 14:1013-8. 2007..We studied whether patient personality influences treatment choice and overall treatment satisfaction...
- Growth environment and personality in adult migraineurs and their migraine-free siblingsB Persson
Department of Psychology, University of Lund, Sweden
Headache 37:159-68. 1997....
- Specific personality traits and dopamine, serotonin genes in anxiety-depressive alcoholism among Han Chinese in TaiwanShu Cheng Lin
Institute of Behavioral Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:1526-34. 2007..We attempted to investigate whether the dopamine D2 receptor (DRD2) and the serotonin transporter promoter region (5-HTTLPR) genes were involved in Novelty Seeking (NS) and Harm Avoidance (HA) of ANX/DEP ALC...
- [Influence of the personality traits of the parents and children on the autonomic regulation of the heart rate in children of preschool age and adolescents]D A Dimitriev
Fiziol Cheloveka 29:54-9. 2003
- Evaluating facet-level predictions and construct validity of depressive personality disorderSteven K Huprich
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798 7334, USA
J Pers Disord 17:219-32. 2003..Additional work is needed on improving the measurement of depressive personality disorder...
- The comparative validity of 11 modern personality inventories: predictions of behavioral acts, informant reports, and clinical indicatorsRichard A Grucza
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, USA
J Pers Assess 89:167-87. 2007..On the other hand, there were important differences between inventories in their predictive capabilities for particular criteria. We discuss the factors that lead to differential validity across predictors and criteria...
- Personality trait of behavioral inhibition is associated with oscillatory systems reciprocal relationshipsGennadij G Knyazev
State Research Institute of Physiology, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Timakova str, 4, Novosibirsk 630117, Russia
Int J Psychophysiol 48:247-61. 2003..Although the presented empirical data partly supported the theory, it remains to be speculative and needs further empirical validation...
- Neuroendocrine stress responses to an oral academic examination: No strong influence of sex, repeated participation and personality traitsD Schoofs
Department of Psychology, University of Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
Stress 11:52-61. 2008..The findings indicate the neuroendocrine stress responses to laboratory stressors and to heralded real life stressors as well as the modulatory variables involved differ from each other...
- Personality testing and profiling for anaesthetic job recruitment: attitudes of anaesthetic specialists/consultants in New Zealand and ScotlandM T Kluger
Department of Anaesthesia, North Shore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Anaesthesia 57:116-22. 2002..Personality assessment, although not effective as the sole tool for candidate selection, may have a role in the process of anaesthetic job recruitment and warrants further investigation...
- The relationship of cognitive, personality, and academic measures to anesthesiology resident clinical performanceD L Reich
Department of Anesthesiology, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Anesth Analg 88:1092-100. 1999..A predictive academic variable was poor anesthesia knowledge as measured by using two different tests during the first month of training. There were varying levels of independence among these variables...
- Personality factors and medical training: a review of the literatureEva M Doherty
National Surgical Training Centre, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Med Educ 45:132-40. 2011..Most of the studies cited in the literature were published before the year 2000. The authors therefore undertook a literature search to determine whether any prospective systematic studies have been published since 2000...
- Psychologic management of brace therapy for patients with idiopathic scoliosisShunji Matsunaga
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kagoshima Graduate School of Medicine and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:547-50. 2005..A trial of brace therapy modified by a measured personality pattern of patients with idiopathic scoliosis was performed...
- On not "giving psychology away": the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory and public controversy over testing in the 1960sRoderick D Buchanan
Institute for Psychological Research, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Hist Psychol 5:284-309. 2002..The need to adjust intelligence and aptitude tests reinforced psychologists' control over them. Conversely, personality tests were not made more transparent and nonintrusive, unless psychologists thought these changes were ..
- Situational judgment tests as a new tool for dental student selectionTine Buyse
Department of Personnel Management and Work, Ghent University, Henri Dunantlaan 2, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Dent Educ 75:743-9. 2011..Therefore, interviews and personality tests are often used to measure noncognitive (e.g., interpersonal) characteristics...
- [Analysis of a case series of workers with mobbing syndrome]B Marinoni
Scuola di Specializzazione in Medicina del Lavoro, Universita degli Studi di Pavia
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 29:354-6. 2007..All patients underwent occupational health visit, psychological counselling (including personality tests administration), and psychiatric evaluation...
- Personality changes in Alzheimer's diseaseE Talassi
Department of Medicine, Istituto Clinico S Anna, Hospital, Brescia, Italy
Aging Ment Health 11:526-31. 2007..Assessment of personality changes in patients with dementia has received little systematic investigation, although caregivers report personality modifications in every phase of dementia...
- The influence of depression on the outcome of treatment in occupational dermatoses workersSaid Abd El Azim
Department of Psychiatry, Kasr El Eini Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
J Dermatolog Treat 20:203-7. 2009..Contact dermatitis accounts for approximately 50% of occupational illnesses and is responsible for an estimated 25% of all lost work days...
- A life-long prospective study on the role of psychosocial factors in neck-shoulder and low-back painE Viikari Juntura
Department of Physiology, Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:1056-61. 1991..Measurements taken in adolescence, such as intelligence, alexithymia (low verbal productivity in projective personality tests), social confidence, hobbies, and the socioeconomic status of the family, showed no consistent associations ..
- Attitude towards aggression and creative functioning in patients with breast cancerA Lilja
University Hospital, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Lund, Sweden
Percept Mot Skills 87:291-303. 1998Three projective personality tests were used to assess attitude to aggression (The Identification Test), anxiety and defenses (The Meta-Contrast Technique) and creative functioning (The Creative Functioning Test) in 70 patients with ..
- [Psychosomatic concept of hyperthyroidism-Graves type--behavioral and biochemical characteristics]Saveta Draganic-Gajic
Medicinski fakultet, Beograd, Institut za mentalno zdravlje
Med Pregl 61:383-8. 2008..In this study we test the hypothesis that specific behavioral and biochemical vulnerabilities characterize individuals with hyperthyroidism-Graves type, one of the classically cited "psychosomatic disorders"...
- Using reliability generalization methods to explore measurement error: an illustration using the MMPI-2 PSY-5 scalesSteven V Rouse
Social Sciences Division, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA 90263, USA
J Pers Assess 88:264-75. 2007..Sample size was not significantly correlated with reliability estimates. RG methods have the potential for deepening the level of understanding about the role of reliability in the evaluation and use of personality tests.
- A comparison of the millon behavioral medical diagnostic and millon behavioral health inventory with medical populationsEdward A Wise
Mental Health Resources, PLLC, Memphis, TN 38119, USA
J Clin Psychol 66:1281-91. 2010There is a lack of normative data on broadband omnibus types of personality tests with medical populations...
- A survey of psychological test use patterns among forensic psychologistsRobert P Archer
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Eastern Virginia Medical School, VA 23507 1972, USA
J Pers Assess 87:84-94. 2006..forensic evaluations conducted with adults using multiscale inventories, single-scale tests, unstructured personality tests, cognitive and/or intellectual tests, neuropsychological tests, risk assessment and psychopathy instruments, ..
- Characteristics of empirically supported treatmentsW O'Donohue
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Reno 89557, USA
J Psychother Pract Res 9:69-74. 2000..Traditional assessment methods, such as intelligence testing, projectives, and objective personality tests such as the MMPI-2, are rarely used in these treatments...
- [A study of personality in Parkinson's disease: the influence of motor and non-motor factors]C Leiva-Santana
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, 03010, Alicante, Spain
Rev Neurol 45:7-12. 2007....
- Can you handle failure?Ben Dattner
Dattner Consulting, USA
Harv Bus Rev 89:117-21, 139. 2011..The first step is to cultivate self-awareness; several personality tests can help you assess your interaction style...
- Non-association between Neo-5 personality tests and multiple mini-interviewKulamakan Kulasegaram
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 15:415-23. 2010..Thus, an efficient paper and pencil test of non-cognitive skills is needed. One possibility is personality tests. Tests of the five factor model of personality, and in particular the factor of conscientiousness, has ..
- The relations between personality and language useChang H Lee
Department of Psychology, Sogang University, Korea
J Gen Psychol 134:405-13. 2007The authors of this study provided basic descriptive data on the correlation between personality tests and Korean language use...
- Ruptured cerebral aneurysm patients treated by clipping or coiling: comparison of long-term neuropsychological and personality outcomesM Preiss
Psychiatric Center, Prague, Czech Republic
Zentralbl Neurochir 68:169-75. 2007..A prospective study was conducted to compare the neuropsychological outcome of surgical versus endovascular treatment in patients with cerebral aneurysms...
- Integrative neuroscience: the role of a standardized databaseE Gordon
The Brain Resource Company, Ultimo, Australia
Clin EEG Neurosci 36:64-75. 2005..MRI), arousal (skin conductance responses (SCR)s, heart rate, respiration), neuropsychological and personality tests, genomics and demographics: The Brain Resource International Database...
- Understanding pretest and posttest reactions to cognitive ability and personality testsD Chan
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824 1117, USA
J Appl Psychol 83:471-85. 1998..in tests, pretest reactions, test performance, and posttest reactions were modeled for cognitive ability and personality tests. Results from structural equation models that were fitted to responses from 197 undergraduate examinees ..
- Implicit anxiety measure predicts cardiovascular reactivity to an evaluated speaking taskBoris Egloff
Department of Psychology, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz, Germany
Emotion 2:3-11. 2002Explicit personality tests assess introspectively accessible self-descriptions. By contrast, implicit personality tests assess introspectively inaccessible processes that operate outside of awareness...
- Item placement on a personality measure: effects on faking behavior and test measurement propertiesLynn A McFarland
Department of Psychology, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
J Pers Assess 78:348-69. 2002Although personality tests are widely used to select applicants for a variety of jobs, there is concern that such measures are fakable...
- [Psychopathologic deficits after polytrauma in childhood and adolescence]Thomas Nau
Universitätsklinik für Unfallchirurgie, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Wien, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 153:526-9. 2003..The aim of this report was to evaluate psychological deficits following polytrauma in childhood and adolescence as well as to detect psychological vulnerable phases during the treatment period...
- Psychological profile in patients with Stages I and II breast cancer: associations of psychological profile with tumor biological prognosticatorsAsa Lilja
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Division of Neurosurgery, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Psychol Rep 92:1187-98. 2003..and II breast cancer undergoing adjuvant radiation therapy were interviewed and tested with three projective personality tests assessing attitude to aggression and coping with stress and anxiety. Creative functioning was also tested...
- A woman lost in the cemetery: A case of time-limited amnesiaA Comparelli
Department of Neurosciences, Sapienza University Rome, 2nd Medical School, Unit of Psychiatry, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Neurocase 16:23-30. 2010..Magnetic Resonance Imaging showed only some non-specific abnormalities. On personality tests, a histrionic structure of personality emerged, with obsessive and narcissistic traits accompanied by ..
- "A coherent datum of perception": Gordon Allport, Floyd Allport, and the politics of "personality"I A Nicholson
St Thomas University
J Hist Behav Sci 36:463-70. 2000..Floyd proposed the subject to his brother as a dissertation topic, and the two worked closely on developing personality tests. By 1924, however, "personality" had become the site of a dispute between the two brothers over the ..
- How do mental health professionals evaluate candidates for bariatric surgery? Survey resultsAnthony N Fabricatore
Weight and Eating Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3535 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Obes Surg 16:567-73. 2006..Many surgery programs require that candidates undergo a preoperative psychological evaluation, but no consensus exists for guiding mental health professionals in the conduct of these evaluations...
- Undergraduate nursing students' compatibility with the nursing professionMohsen Adib-Hajbaghery
Faculty of Nursing, Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Kashan, Iran
BMC Med Educ 5:25. 2005..Due to the lack of studies on Iranian nursing students' personality traits, this study was designed to assess freshmen nursing students' personality characteristics and their compatibility with the demands of the nursing profession...
- A field study of frame-of-reference effects on personality test validityJohn M Hunthausen
Department of Psychology, Portland State University, USA
J Appl Psychol 88:545-51. 2003..05). The authors' discussion focuses on implications for personality theory and research and on implications for increasing the validity of personality tests in organizational settings.
- The 5-Dimensional Personality Test (5DPT): relationships with two lexically based instruments and the validation of the absorption scaleDirk van Kampen
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pers Assess 94:92-101. 2012....
- The relationship between intercourse preference positions and personality traits among gay men in ChinaLijun Zheng
Key Laboratory of Cognition and Personality, School of Psychology, Southwest University, Ministry of Education, Chongqing, 400715, China
Arch Sex Behav 41:683-9. 2012..There were no significant differences in Big Five traits among the three groups. Sexual self-labels appear not only to distinguish sexual behavior patterns but may also suggest gender role differences among Chinese gay men...
- Predictive index for the onset of medication overuse headache in migraine patientsT Onaya
Department of Pathophysiology, Showa University School of Pharmacy, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
Neurol Sci 34:85-92. 2013..The PI score in MOH patients (7.32 ± 1.60) was significantly higher than that in migraine patients (4.62 ± 1.83, P < 0.001). The proposed scoring system should in the future be the object of larger studies to confirm its validity...
- Cortical thickness of superior frontal cortex predicts impulsiveness and perceptual reasoning in adolescenceC Schilling
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charité University Medicine Campus Mitte, Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Berlin, Germany
Mol Psychiatry 18:624-30. 2013..The results may facilitate the understanding of the role of impulsiveness in several psychiatric disorders associated with prefrontal dysfunctions and cognitive deficits...
- Self- and other-estimates of multiple abilities in Britain and Turkey: a cross-cultural comparison of subjective ratings of intelligenceAdrian Furnham
Department of Psychology, University College London, London, UK
Int J Psychol 44:434-42. 2009..Results are discussed in terms of the growing literature in the field...
- Intentional response distortion on personality tests: using eye-tracking to understand response processes when fakingEdwin A J van Hooft
Work and Organizational Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Appl Psychol 97:301-16. 2012..Eye-tracking was demonstrated to be potentially useful in detecting faking behavior, improving detecting rates over and beyond response extremity and latency metrics...
- Effect of the cytochrome P450 19 (aromatase) gene polymorphism on personality traits in healthy subjectsYoshihiko Matsumoto
Department of Psychiatry, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 2 2 2 Iidanishi, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Behav Brain Res 205:234-7. 2009..The present study thus suggests that the C/T polymorphism in the 3'UTR of CYP19 gene affects personality trait of harm avoidance in healthy males...
- Psychosocial correlates of psychopathology in a national sample of the morbidly obeseS R Maddi
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine 92697 7085, USA
Obes Surg 7:397-404. 1997..The disagreement has been difficult to resolve because earlier studies have tended to use small, regional samples, and diverse, unstandardized approaches to measuring psychopathology...
- A twin study of state and trait anxiety in childhood and adolescenceL N Legrand
Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 40:953-8. 1999..Heritability was estimated at 45%. Measures of state anxiety conformed more closely to Thapar and McGuffin's findings, with environmental factors accounting for the variance...
- A model of autobiographical memory & its changes in PTSDDavid C Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2010..It includes tests of current PTSD symptom severity, mood and personality tests, as well as health data, to do a truly prospective study of current PTSD symptoms as predicted by measures ..
- COMMUNITY-BUILDING TO PROMOTE BIOMEDICAL HEALTH CAREERSCharles Evans; Fiscal Year: 2004..baseline reading, writing and math skills and post-program assessment, as well as interest inventory and personality tests. All participants as well as program faculty and consultants, will evaluate individual curricular elements ..
- Brain Morbidity in Treatment-Naive AlcoholicsGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- IMPLICIT AND UNCONSCIOUS COGNITIONAnthony Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2002..This award will release the PI from responsibilities that compete with the opportunity to mentor Ph.D. trainees. ..
- Effects of heavy alcohol abuse on adolescent brain structure and functionGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will be uniquely able to isolate the effects of AUDs on brain structure and function in adolescence. ..
- CORE--CLINICALGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2002..The Core will be responsible for a CSF substudy comparing viral load and anti-viral drug levels in CSF versus blood. . The Core will be responsible for data management and design and coordination of statistical analyses across the PPG. ..
- Effects of heavy alcohol abuse on adolescent brain structure and functionGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will be uniquely able to isolate the effects of AUDs on brain structure and function in adolescence. ..
- EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ABUSE ON THE AGING BRAINGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., brain "functional reserve," presence of the APOE-epsilon4 allele) that may modulate the effects of chronic alcohol abuse/dependence and age on brain structure and function. ..
- Brain Morbidity in Treatment-Naive AlcoholicsGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2009..Since most studies of alcoholism in the U.S. use convenience samples of alcoholics in treatment (a minority of all alcoholics), the proposed studies are essential to understand the impact of AD on the US population. ..
- Long-Term Abstinence Clinical Issues and CNS DisinhibitionGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2009..which represent selection variables determining which individuals are able to achieve long-term abstinence. ..
- Long-Term Abstinence Clinical Issues and CNS DisinhibitionGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is only by understanding the successes in dealing with chronic alcoholism among treated samples with significant comorbidity that society will be able to make significant progress in facilitating such successes in the future. ..
- Brain Morbidity in Treatment-Naive AlcoholicsGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since most studies of alcoholism in the U.S. use convenience samples of alcoholics in treatment (a minority of all alcoholics), the proposed studies are essential to understand the impact of AD on the US population. ..
- PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATION: SUBLIMINAL INFLUENCEAnthony Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- UNCONSCIOUS AND IMPLICIT COGNITIONAnthony Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- CHRONIC COCAINE ABUSE EFFECTS ON P50 AND P3A ERPSGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, samples of active cocaine abusers will be studied. ..
- Effects of heavy alcohol abuse on adolescent brain structure and functionGeorge Fein; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will be uniquely able to isolate the effects of AUDs on brain structure and function in adolescence. ..
- Reward and reinforcement in implicit power motivationOLIVER SCHULTHEISS; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, the role of facial aflective expressions as indicators of power motivation reward and the time course of the hypothesized power motivation reward and reinforcement effects will be explored in these studies. ..
- A Virtual Laboratory for the Social and Behavioral SciencesBRIAN NOSEK; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- PREDICTING DEPRESSION OUTCOMES IN MEDICALLY ILL ELDERSHarold Koenig; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also provide important information to both guide future clinical trials and identify barriers to effective treatment of depression in these patients. ..
- Behavioral Technologies for Predicting HIV RiskCarl Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- The Amygdala: Emotional Modulation of AttentionDavid H Zald; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the study will be able to address the effects of amygdala lesions with a degree of precision that has been unattainable in previous research on the human amygdala. ..
- Imaging Individual Differences in Amphetamine EffectsTARA WHITE; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Factors Related to Juvenile Drug Court CompletionMEGAN RUTHERFORD; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Worksite Phone Counseling for Smoking CessationMark Walker; Fiscal Year: 2005..Power will range from .66 to .99 depending on recruitment rates (projected to range from 15% to 25%) and the magnitude of difference in outcomes between the two conditions. ..
- Impulsivity and Stimulant Response in Early- and Late-Onset CD with Comorbid ADHDCharles Mathias; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Novel Intervention for Drug Use and HIV Risk among Anxiety Sensitive Heroin UsersCarl Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- DRUGS OF ABUSE AND HUMAN AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIORDON CHEREK; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- A PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF RISK OF MORTALITY AFTER SCIJames Krause; Fiscal Year: 2002..Risk profiles will be generated to identify individuals at greatest risk for early mortality. Separate analyses and risk profiles will be generated based on injury severity, gender and race/ethnicity. ..
- Pragmatic language skills in patients with Parkinson's Disease (PD)Patrick McNamara; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Distress Tolerance and Early Smoking LapseCarl Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of this study also should have direct implications for the development of novel pharmacological and behavioral treatments for nicotine dependence for this particularly vulnerable group of smokers. ..
- DRUGS OF ABUSE AND HUMAN AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIORDON CHEREK; Fiscal Year: 2004..Understanding the different biological factors involved in human aggression may lead to intervention/prevention strategies that will reduce the risk for substance dependence among high-risk populations. ..
- PSYCHOBIOLOGY OF SUICIDAL BEHAVIOR IN BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDERPaul Soloff; Fiscal Year: 2007..Neuroimaging data will be tested with other clinical variables for significance in predicting suicidal behavior in an effort to identify biologic "markers" in individuals at highest risk ..
- Behavioral Depression Treatment for Smoking CessationCarl Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2007..Based on the outcome of this preliminary trial, the BAT-S protocol will be further refined and readied for larger-scale clinical trials. ..
- Geriatric Depression Outcomes: Prognostic FactorsWarren Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..Discussion: These findings will better describe the role of neural connectivity and striatofrontal dysfunction in geriatric depression. ..
- Phylogeny of SleepPatrick McNamara; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Lead Exposure, HPA Axis Dysfunction, and Blood Pressure: Hypertension RiskNancy Fiedler; Fiscal Year: 2007....