Summary: Strongly insistent, self-assured, and demanding behavior.
Publications183 found, 100 shown here
- Examining communication and assertiveness as predictors of condom use: implications for HIV preventionB D Zamboni
Department of Psychology, Loyola University, Chicago, IL 60626, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 12:492-504. 2000The current study explored the relationship between communication and assertiveness in general and sexual contexts and examined each construct's differential ability to predict reported condom use among college students...
- The lived experience of nursing advocacyRobert G Hanks
The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Nurs Ethics 15:468-77. 2008..The findings increase the body of knowledge surrounding nursing advocacy as practiced by nurses...
- Lack of association between digit ratio (2D:4D) and assertiveness: replication in a large sampleMartin Voracek
Department of Basic Psychological Research, School of Psychology, University of Vienna, Liebiggasse 5, Room 03 46, A 1010 Vienna, Austria
Percept Mot Skills 109:757-69. 2009..and Hampson, et al. showed assertiveness, a presumably male-typed personality trait, was not associated with 2D:4D; however, these studies were clearly ..
- Relationship satisfaction in women: a longitudinal case-control study about the role of breast cancer, personal assertiveness, and partners' relationship-focused copingChris Hinnen
Northern Centre for Healthcare Research, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Health Psychol 13:737-54. 2008The aim of this study was to investigate whether a breast cancer diagnosis, personal assertiveness (i.e. frequency of assertive behaviour and tension associated with this behaviour), and partners' relationship-focused coping (i.e...
- The moderating role of risk-taking tendency and refusal assertiveness on social influences in alcohol use among inner-city adolescentsJennifer A Epstein
Institute for Prevention Research, Cornell University, Weill Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Stud Alcohol 63:456-9. 2002..This study examined the moderating influence of risk-taking tendency and refusal assertiveness on perceived friends' drinking as associated with alcohol use among inner-city adolescents.
- Predicting individual differences in autonomy-connectedness: the role of body awareness, alexithymia, and assertivenessMarrie H J Bekker
Tilburg University, Department of Clinical Psychology, P O Box 90153, 5000 LE Tilburg, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychol 64:747-65. 2008..most powerfully predict individual differences in autonomy-connectedness: body awareness, alexithymia, or assertiveness. The present study examined this question in a clinical sample of women who were diagnosed as having autonomy ..
- Client-centered home care: balancing between competing responsibilitiesTineke Schoot
Zuyd University, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Clin Nurs Res 15:231-54; discussion 255-7. 2006..Recommendations for practice concern a care relationship and a dialogue with the client, critical ethical reflection, professional autonomy, self-assertiveness and organizational support.
- Meanings in adult male victims' experiences of hate crime and its aftermathDanny G Willis
Boston College, William F Connell School of Nursing, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 29:567-84. 2008..This heightened awareness was reported to disrupt intimacy and social connectedness while they attempted to make meaning of their experiences and heal...
- Overcoming burnout: how to revitalize your careerKaren E Espeland
KE Consulting, 744 Aspen Place, Bismarck, ND 58503, USA
J Contin Educ Nurs 37:178-84. 2006..To revitalize a career and move away from a burnout state, individuals need to change their thought processes and viewpoints about the people and things that may be contributing to their burnout...
- The communications doctor offers remedies for 11 things that hurt women's career successSusanne E Gaddis
Prairie Rose 76:15-6. 2007
- Patient participation in the medical specialist encounter: does physicians' patient-centred communication matter?Linda C Zandbelt
Department of Medical Psychology, Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 65:396-406. 2007..We investigated the relationship between physicians' patient-centred communication and patient participation in a medical specialist setting...
- Irish nursing students' changing levels of assertiveness during their pre-registration programmeCecily M Begley
School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies, Trinity College Dublin, 24 D Olier Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
Nurse Educ Today 24:501-10. 2004..Victims of bullying need high levels of assertiveness to enable them to withstand the stress of victimization...
- Collaboration at risk: registered nurses' experiences on orthopaedic wardsKristin Skei
Institute of Nursing Science, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Clin Nurs 17:1907-14. 2008..To extract meaning from registered nurses' lived experiences in their professional collaboration with orthopaedic surgeons...
- Sexual assertiveness in low-income African American women: unwanted sex, survival, and HIV riskJames Whyte Iv
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32310, USA
J Community Health Nurs 23:235-44. 2006..01). Further correlations indicated a pattern of association between poverty, age, and sex out of fear of relationship loss or shelter loss. The study indicates a need for a broader definition of HIV-related risk in high-risk populations...
- Developing hardiness in nurse managersSharon Judkins
The University of Texas, USA
Nurs Manag (Harrow) 14:19-23. 2007
- Cool, calm and collectedSean Kennedy
Nurs Stand 22:64. 2008
- Social processes used by African American women in making decisions about mammography screeningBarbara Ann Fowler
College of Nursing and Health, Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45435 0001, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 38:247-54. 2006..To describe the social processes used by African American (AA) women ages > or = 50 years in making decisions about mammography screening...
- Bullying: it isn't what it used to beJanice Selekman
Department of Nursing, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA
Pediatr Nurs 30:246-9. 2004
- Positive outcomes for survivors of haematological malignancies from a spiritual perspectivePam McGrath
School of Nursing and Health Studies, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton, Queensland 4702, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 10:280-91. 2004..The results indicate increased confidence and assertiveness, less dependence on the approval of others, greater ability to assert personal needs, increased awareness of ..
- Communication and teamwork in patient care: how much can we learn from aviation?Audrey Lyndon
Department of Family Health Care Nursing at University of California San Francisco School of Nursing, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 35:538-46. 2006To identify evidence on the role of assertiveness and teamwork and the application of aviation industry techniques to improve patient safety for inpatient obstetric care.
- An overview of conflictJacinta Kelly
Department of Nursing and Midwifery, Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, University College Cork, Ireland
Dimens Crit Care Nurs 25:22-8. 2006..This article will provide an overview of conflict, conflict management, and conflict resolution...
- Courage as integral to advancing nursing practiceDeb Spence
School of Health Care Practice, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland
Nurs Prax N Z 23:43-55. 2007..The purpose is to make visible a phenomenon that needs to be actively fostered or 'en-courage-d' if nursing is to effectively contribute to an improved health service...
- Are we being forced into isolation?Louis Feuer
Dynamic Seminars and Consulting, Florida, USA
Case Manager 17:60-2. 2006....
- Hospital nurse administrators in Japan: a feminist dimensional analysisC L Brandi
Aichi Medical University, College of Nursing, Nagakute cho, Aichi Ken, Japan
Int Nurs Rev 53:59-65. 2006..Additionally, nursing administration content relies heavily on Western and non-nursing theories, some of which have been criticized for male bias...
- [Self-assertion communication in the family]Gabriella Kádár
Szegedi Tudomanyegyetem, Juhász Gyula Tanŕképzo Foiskolai Kar, Pszichológia Tanszék
Psychiatr Hung 20:84-94. 2005..It is also shown that at interpersonal level, the self-assertion tendencies of the child are negatively correlated to the emphatic skills of family members...
- Teenage mothers at age 30Lee SmithBattle
School of Nursing, Saint Louis University
West J Nurs Res 27:831-50; discussion 851-62. 2005..The lives of a third group of mothers lacked a coherent narrative structure. Each pattern is presented with a paradigm case...
- The experiences of trained nurses caring for critically ill patients within a general ward settingHelen Cox
University of the West of England, Faculty of Health and Social Care, Glenside Campus, Blackberry Hill, Bristol, BS16 1DD, UK
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 22:283-93. 2006..However, there is limited information regarding nurses' perceptions of caring for critically ill patients outside of high dependency areas...
- Effective use of critique and dialogue at scholarly conferencesRosanna F DeMarco
Boston College, William F Connell School of Nursing, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467 3812, USA
Nurs Outlook 53:232-8. 2005..The likely outcomes include improved nursing science and professional development of nurses...
- An evaluation of an aggression management training program to cope with workplace violence in the healthcare sectorJanneke K Oostrom
Erasmus University Rotterdam, Faculty of Social Sciences, T12 39, PO Box 1738, DR Rotterdam 3000, The Netherlands
Res Nurs Health 31:320-8. 2008..We conclude that aggression management training may be an effective instrument in the fight against workplace violence...
- Using an executive coach to increase leadership effectivenessPatricia Reid Ponte
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Mass, USA
J Nurs Adm 36:319-24. 2006..In this article, they present their overall findings about the effectiveness of coaching as a leadership development tool and offer recommendations for leaders who are interested in engaging a coach...
- Nurses and collaborationRita E Miller
Peter H. Thomas PhD and Associates, USA
Pa Nurse 59:6. 2004
- The construction of hepatitis C as a chronic illnessBarbara L Paterson
University of New Brunswick, Canada
Clin Nurs Res 15:209-24. 2006..The article points to the need for a model of Hep C care that incorporates the dimensions of the chronic illness experience...
- Under-reporting of violent incidents against nursing staffTerry Ferns
University of Greenwich, London
Nurs Stand 20:41-5. 2006..Only by reporting such incidents can the extent of violence towards nurses be determined and minimised...
- Meaning of INSIGHT participation among women who have experienced intimate partner violenceBarbara L Zust
Gustavus Adolphus College, St Peter, Minnesota 56082, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 27:775-93. 2006..This study adds support for the utility of interventions, such as INSIGHT, that nurture self-emergence among women who have experienced intimate partner violence...
- Evaluation of relationships between haemodialysis unit professionalsA V Rivares
, , Nephrology Unit, Barcelona, Spain
EDTNA ERCA J 30:27-30. 2004..was used to analyse the following issues: stress, changes, routine, confrontation, comparisons, preferences, support, valuation, assertiveness, self-evaluation, technical competence, affiliation, motivation, work atmosphere and training.
- Social skills training as nursing intervention to improve the social skills and self-esteem of inpatients with chronic schizophreniaJi Min Seo
College of Nursing, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 21:317-26. 2007..The training program consisted of two parts: conversational skills and assertiveness skills. Data were collected at pretreatment and posttreatment...
- Correlation between psychiatric nurses' anger and job motivationEsra Engin
Department of Psychiatric Nursing, Ege University School of Nursing, Izmir, Turkey
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 20:268-75. 2006....
- African-American adolescent females' predictors of having sexBarbara L Dancy
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing, 845 S Damen Avenue, Office 1060, M C 802, Chicago, IL 60612 7350, USA
J Natl Black Nurses Assoc 17:30-8. 2006....
- From their own voices: the lived experience of African American registered nursesDeborah W Wilson
Howard University, USA
J Transcult Nurs 18:142-9. 2007..The findings of the study indicate the immediate need to address and resolve the issues of diversity within the nursing profession. Nursing will also have to reform its system and practices to embrace and support diversity...
- Factors influencing nurses' decisions to raise concerns about care qualityMoira Attree
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work, University of Manchester, UK
J Nurs Manag 15:392-402. 2007..To explore factors that influence nurses' decisions to raise concerns about standards of practice...
- An insider perspective of daily stress and coping in elders with arthritisSunghee H Tak
College of Nursing, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA
Orthop Nurs 25:127-32. 2006....
- There really is a difference: nurses' experiences with transitioning from RNs to BSNsColleen Delaney
Department of Nursing, Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, CT, USA
J Prof Nurs 23:167-73. 2007..Findings indicate that both the quality of patient care and nurses' practice were enhanced as a result of BSN completion programs...
- Self esteem and assertiveness of final year Turkish university studentsSerife Karagozoglu
Department of Fundamentals of Nursing, Cumhuriyet University School of Nursing, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
Nurse Educ Today 28:641-9. 2008This study developed a quantitative methodology to ascertain the level of self esteem and assertiveness of last year students in baccalaureate degree programs at Cumhuriyet University Nursing School, School for Health Sciences' Midwifery ..
- The views and experiences of learning disability nurses concerning their advocacy educationPenny Llewellyn
University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd CF37 1DL, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Today 27:955-63. 2007..Most nurses had definite ideas regarding how and by whom their advocacy education and training should be provided...
- Judgements about mentoring relationships in nurse educationChristine Webb
University of Plymouth, Exeter EX2 6AS, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Today 28:563-71. 2008....
- Nurse/physician conflict management mode choices: implications for improved collaborative practiceTova Hendel
Department of Nursing, School of Health Professions, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Nurs Adm Q 31:244-53. 2007..00). Most of the respondents' characteristics were not found to be correlated with mode choices. The findings indicate a need to enhance partnerships in the clinical environment to ensure quality patient care and staff satisfaction...
- Validation of oppressed group behaviors in nursingLinda Kay Matheson
Marquette University, P O Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Prof Nurs 23:226-34. 2007....
- Professional socialization: the key to survival as a newly qualified nurseMary Mooney
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Int J Nurs Pract 13:75-80. 2007..A category that emerged was linked very strongly with professional socialization. The respondents did not refer to professional socialization per se, but through the coding process this emerged as the linchpin of the discussion...
- Maternal identity change as a consequence of antenatal hospitalizationMilica Markovic
School of Psychology, Psychiatry and Psychiatric Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Health Care Women Int 27:762-76. 2006..Further, hospitalization offered women the opportunity to interact with others in similar difficult situations and, hence, feel less isolated...
- The sound of silence--nurses' non-verbal interaction within the ward roundKaren Hill
General Intensive Care Unit, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, Hampshire
Nurs Crit Care 8:231-9. 2003..Drawing from the data, educational and training strategies are suggested to enhance collaborative practice in the clinical setting of intensive care...
- Doctors' traits perceived by Japanese nurses as communication barriers: a questionnaire surveyKyoko Morinaga
Ph D Program of Social System Studies, Graduate School of the University of Kitakyushu, Japan
Int J Nurs Stud 45:740-9. 2008..Studies addressing nurses' traits to improve the quality of nurse-physician communication exist, whereas only a few studies exploring physicians' traits as communication barriers are conducted...
- Provider-patient dialogue about Internet health information: an exploration of strategies to improve the provider-patient relationshipCarma L Bylund
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, NY, NY 10022, USA
Patient Educ Couns 66:346-52. 2007..This study examined patients' experiences talking to their providers about internet health information...
- Struggling for confirmation--patients' experiences of dissatisfaction with hospital careUlrika Eriksson
Mid Sweden University, Department of Health Sciences, Ostersund, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 16:438-46. 2007..The aim of the study was to illuminate patients' experiences of dissatisfaction with hospital care...
- Effects of nurses' sex-role orientation on positive and negative assertionPatrick J McCartan
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland, UK
Nurs Health Sci 6:45-9. 2004..Following a discussion of the findings, recommendations relating to future research are made and the limitations of the study are identified...
- Positive self-transitions in women child abuse survivorsJoanne M Hall
College of Nursing, University of Tennessee, 1200 Volunteer Boulevard, Knoxville, TN 37996 4180, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 24:647-66. 2003..Tentative clinical implications are discussed. The study was preliminary in that it was a secondary analysis. Suggestions for further research are outlined...
- 'Am I being over-sensitive?' Women's experience of sexual harassment during medical trainingSusan W Hinze
Department of Sociology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 7124, USA
Health (London) 8:101-27. 2004..I conclude with a discussion of how reforms in medical education must tend to the gendered, everyday realities of women and men in training...
- Refinement of the Silencing the Self Scale--work for registered nursesRosanna DeMarco
Connell School of Nursing, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 39:375-8. 2007
- Environmental contexts of menopause in Spain: comparative results from recent researchCristina Bernis
Departamento de Biologia, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Menopause 14:777-87. 2007....
- Improving recreational, residential, and vocational outcomes for patients with schizophreniaV Roder
Department of Psychiatry at the University of Bern, Switzerland
Psychiatr Serv 52:1439-41. 2001..such as eye contact, fluency of speech, gestures, and facial expression, as well as conversational skills, assertiveness, and emotional expressiveness...
- [Neurological and psychiatric aspects of some gastrointestinal diseases]Zsuzsa Aszalós
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, II Belgyógyászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 149:2079-86. 2008..Females are also characterized by gender role conflict and low assertiveness. Antidepressants and psychotherapy have important roles in their treatment...
- "Making the grade:" noncognitive predictors of medical students' clinical clerkship gradesKatherine B Lee
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 99:1138-50. 2007..Because clinical clerkship grades are associated with resident selection and performance and are largely based on residents'/attendings' subjective ratings, it is important to identify variables associated with clinical clerkship grades...
- Addressing the pharmacist shortage through a cooperative internship program for foreign pharmacy graduatesAna C Quiñones
Midwestern University Chicago College of Pharmacy, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 47:191-6. 2007..To describe the Latin American Pharmacist Internship Program, a pilot project to prepare foreign-trained pharmacists for pharmacy licensure in the United States...
- Conversational skills of preschool and school-age children with cleft lip and palateK L Chapman
Department of Communication Sciences, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 35:503-16. 1998..The purpose of this study was to examine the conversational skills of preschool and school-age children with cleft lip and palate...
- [Knowledge on polypharmacy in a group of 65-year-old people or older living in a sector of the metropolitan area of Puerto Rico]Cabeza Nirzka M Labault
Catedrática Asociada, Escuela Graduada de Salud Pública, Recinto de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad de Puerto Rico, San Juan
P R Health Sci J 24:277-86. 2005..Additionally, results suggested a need form the elderly to develop more assertiveness and closeness with their health care providers, both doctor and pharmacist; as well as a lack of sufficient ..
- Relation of assertiveness and anxiety among Iranian University studentsT T Larijani
Department of Psychiatric Nursing, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 17:893-9. 2010..The findings from the present study revealed that less than 30% of nursing and midwifery students have high assertiveness and only half of them have low anxiety...
- Personality and HIV disease progression: role of NEO-PI-R openness, extraversion, and profiles of engagementGail H Ironson
Department of Psychology, University of Miami, P O Box 248185, Coral Gables, FL 33124 2070, USA
Psychosom Med 70:245-53. 2008..The examination of psychosocial predictors of disease progression in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) has focused primarily on depression, coping, and stress, with little attention paid to stable individual differences...
- Adolescent sexuality and disabilityJacob A Neufeld
Departments of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Pediatrics, Rusk Institute, New York University, 400 E 34th Street, New York, NY 10016, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 13:857-73. 2002..Health sex education must include the development of effective communication skills, decision-making skills, assertiveness, and the ability to say "no." It must also include ways to create satisfying relationships...
- Use of female controlled microbicidal products for HIV risk reductionR M Malow
University of Miami, School of Medicine JMH Mental Health Hospital Centers, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Health Promotion Programs, 1695 N W 9 Avenue, Suite 3208, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
AIDS Care 12:581-8. 2000..An HIV transmission risk reduction interactive intervention emphasizing self-esteem, assertiveness and sexual negotiation was offered to 41 drug dependent women...
- Aggression: its relation to desire and self-interestD L Raphling
Washington Psychoanalytic Institute, USA
J Am Psychoanal Assoc 46:797-811. 1998..Aggression has also been dichotomized as either the benign activity of assertiveness, or the darker destructive force of hostility, believed by many to arise from separate motivational systems...
- Condom use self-efficacy: effect on intended and actual condom use in adolescentsJ Baele
Leuven University Center for Cancer Prevention, Leuven, Belgium
J Adolesc Health 28:421-31. 2001..To investigate aspects of adolescents' condom use self-efficacy that affect their intended and actual condom use...
- Cognitive orientation and genital infections in young womenS Kreitler
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Women Health 17:49-85. 1991..g., assertiveness, hypochondriasis)...
- Personality profiles of male and female positive role models in medicineM Magee
Pfizer Medical Humanities Initiative, New York, NY, USA
Psychol Rep 82:547-59. 1998..scored higher on Conscientious factor, and on Achievement Striving, Activity, Competence, Dutifulness, Trust, Assertiveness, and Altruism facets, but they scored lower on the Vulnerability facet than the general population...
- Evaluation of the concept of supervision related to public health nurses in NorwaySidsel Tveiten
Akershus College, Faculty of Nursing Education, Nordbyhagen, Norway
J Nurs Manag 13:13-21. 2005..The aim of the study is to clarify the concept of supervision by means of concept analysis, in order to evaluate the concept's application to the practise of public health nurses...
- [Prevalence of and factors related to depression in high school students]Mehmet Eskin
Adnan Menderes U Tip Fak, Psikiyatri AD
Turk Psikiyatri Derg 19:382-9. 2008..The study aimed at investigating the prevalence of and factors related to depression in high school students...
- Sexual coercion content in 21 sexuality education curriculaC E Beyer
Dept of Health Education, North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC 27707, USA
J Sch Health 68:370-5. 1998..Common themes occurring within the coercion topic areas included guilt, communication/assertiveness skills, blame, drug use, premeditation, fear, sources of help...
- Participants' assessments of the effects of a community health worker intervention on their diabetes self-management and interactions with healthcare providersMichele Heisler
Veterans Affairs Center for Clinical Management Research, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48113, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:S270-9. 2009....
- A randomized trial of short psychotherapy versus sustained-release bupropion for smoking cessationGerald Zernig
Experimental Psychiatry Unit, Department of General Psychiatry and Social Psychiatry, Centre of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical University Innsbruck, Innrain 66 a 1 Stock, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Addiction 103:2024-31. 2008..To compare the efficacy and safety of a novel psychological intervention for smoking cessation called psychodynamic model (PDM) training to an active control condition of sustained-release bupropion...
- Leadership development for dental students: what do students think?Kristin Z Victoroff
School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4905, USA
J Dent Educ 72:982-8. 2008..Students reported interest in improving their confidence, assertiveness, ability to communicate effectively (including public speaking), ability to listen to others, organizational ..
- The sexual attitudes, behavior, and relationships of women with histrionic personality disorderC Apt
Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, Sinton 78387
J Sex Marital Ther 20:125-33. 1994..compared to the control group, women with histrionic personality were found to have significantly lower sexual assertiveness, greater erotophobic attitudes toward sex, lower self-esteem, and greater marital dissatisfaction...
- Resting posterior versus frontal delta/theta EEG activity is associated with extraversion and the COMT VAL(158)MET polymorphismJan Wacker
Faculty of Psychology, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 478:88-92. 2010..e., a motivational disposition comprising enthusiasm, energy, assertiveness, achievement striving and social dominance)...
- Emotional intelligence of mental health nursesLoes R L C van Dusseldorp
Institute for Mental Health Care, Renkum, The Netherlands
J Clin Nurs 20:555-62. 2011..The aim of this study is to gain insight into the level of emotional intelligence of mental health nurses in the Netherlands...
- [Trait anxiety and type behavior pattern (A and B) as modifiers of immediate reaction towards violent behaviors]Marcin Drabek
Zakładu Psychologii Pracy, Instytutu Medycyny Pracy im prof J Nofera w Lodzi
Med Pr 56:223-34. 2005..In this paper, such personal characteristics as trait-anxiety, type A/B behavior pattern (TABP/TBBP) are discussed as potential modifiers of individual reaction towards the violence experienced at work...
- On being a good nurse: reflections on the past and preparing for the futureAnn M Begley
Queen s University, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Belfast, UK
Int J Nurs Pract 16:525-32. 2010..were highly professional, the culture within which they practiced tended to stifle the emergence of autonomy, assertiveness, advocacy and accountability...
- Personality of young adults born prematurely: the Helsinki study of very low birth weight adultsAnu Katriina Pesonen
Department of Psychology, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 49:609-17. 2008..Today, the first generations of very low birth weight (VLBW <or= 1500 g) infants are entering adulthood but very little is known of their personality traits, associated with both psychopathological vulnerability and resilience...
- Oregon physicians' responses to requests for assisted suicide: a qualitative studySteven K Dobscha
Department of Veterans Affairs, Portland, Oregon 97207, USA
J Palliat Med 7:451-61. 2004..discussion of important issues, and many physicians felt that the process increased their confidence and assertiveness in discussing end-of-life issues with other patients...
- Quality of provider-participant relationships and enhancement of adolescent social skillsElizabeth Sale
EMT Associates, Inc, Sacramento, CA, USA
J Prim Prev 29:263-78. 2008..e., cooperation, self-control, assertiveness, and empathy) than program participants who perceived a lower quality relationship with adult providers...
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal relations among peer-reported trustworthiness, social relationships, and psychological adjustment in children and early adolescents from the United Kingdom and CanadaKen J Rotenberg
Department of Psychology, Keele University, Staffordshire ST5 5BG, UK
J Exp Child Psychol 88:46-67. 2004..trustworthiness (ratings of promise and secret keeping by peer group and also by best friend in Study 1), assertiveness (Study 1), prosocial behavior (Study 2), social relationships (friendships and peer preference), and ..
- Animal models of depressive illness: the importance of chronic drug treatmentP J Mitchell
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, Bath, UK
Curr Pharm Des 11:171-203. 2005..in turn results in increased hierarchical status in closed social groups) most likely reflects the increased assertiveness and associated externalization of emotions expressed during recovery from depressive illness...
- An assessment of HIV/STI vulnerability and related sexual risk-taking in a nationally representative sample of young Croatian adultsAleksandar Stulhofer
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Department of Sociology, University of Zagreb, I Lucica 3, Zagreb, 10000, Croatia
Arch Sex Behav 38:209-25. 2009..A number of predictors were gender-specific: sexual assertiveness and condom self-efficacy for women and parental monitoring, traditional morality, HIV knowledge, and talking ..
- [Short-term effects of a cognitive-behavioural group therapy in social phobia: evaluation of sixty patients]N Camart
Laboratoire de Psychologie Clinique des Faits Culturels, université Paris X, Nanterre
Encephale 32:1011-8. 2006..the therapy with instruments measuring the intensity of social phobia (Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale), the assertiveness (Rathus Assertiveness Schedule), the disability associated with the disorder (Sheehan Disability Scale), ..
- Supporting prison nurses: an action research approach to educationClare Bennett
Primary Care Nursing, University of Worcester
Br J Nurs 19:782-6. 2010..with key stakeholders, which suggest that the innovation had a positive impact on the nurses' confidence, assertiveness, clinical expertise and approach to change...
- Dimensions of hostility in Japanese undergraduate studentsShuhei Izawa
Graduate School of Human Sciences, Waseda University, Japan
Int J Behav Med 13:147-52. 2006..subscales of the 4 questionnaires, revealed a 4-factor solution: Expressive Hostility, Inhibitive Hostility, Assertiveness, and Hostile Cognition...
- Predictors of risky sexual behavior with new and regular partners in a sample of women bar drinkersKathleen A Parks
Research Institute on Addictions, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1021 Main Street, Buffalo, New York 14203, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 70:197-205. 2009..We designed the current study to assess the rates of risky sexual behavior among women bar drinkers, as well as differences in predictors of risky sexual behavior, based on partner type-new or regular...
- [Alcohol consumption and positive alcohol expectancies in young adults: a typological approach using TwoStep cluster]S Vautier
Universite de Toulouse le Mirail, 5, allee Antonio Machado, 31058 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Encephale 33:568-71. 2007..We explored the existence of moderate drinkers with a high PAE profile, and abusive drinkers with a low PAE profile...
- Downsizing and reorganization: demands, challenges and ambiguity for registered nursesAnna Hertting
National Institute for Psychosocial Medicine IPM, Stockholm, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 45:145-54. 2004..A large hospital in Sweden was selected for the study, in which downsizing had occurred between 1995 and 1997. The number of staff in the hospital was reduced by an average of 20%, and 10% were relocated to other departments...
- Effects of testosterone on mood, aggression, and sexual behavior in young men: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over studyDaryl B O'Connor
Department of Endocrinology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2837-45. 2004..m.. Mood, self- and partner-reported physical and verbal aggression, anger, hostility, irritability, assertiveness, self-esteem, and sexual function were assessed. A single injection of 1000 mg TU i.m...
- Differences of sexual behavior predictors between sexually active and nonactive female adolescents in congested communities, Bangkok metropolisArpaporn Powwattana
Department of Public Health Nursing, Faculty of Public Health, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:542-50. 2008..To test the differences among the predictors between sexually active and non-active female adolescents...
- Five-year cohort study of Nosema spp. in Germany: does climate shape virulence and assertiveness of Nosema ceranae?Sebastian Gisder
Institute for Bee Research, Friedrich Engels Str 32, Hohen Neuendorf, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:3032-8. 2010..ceranae only. Reduced or inhibited N. ceranae spore germination at low temperatures should hamper the infectivity and spread of this pathogen in climatic regions characterized by a rather cold winter season...
- [Review of identified factors influencing contraceptive use]Artur Bjelica
Medicinski fakultet, Novi Sad Klinicki centar Vojvodine, Novi Sad Klinika za ginekologiju i akuierstvo
Med Pregl 61:151-5. 2008..e. the accepted gender roles, level of self-acceptance. The majority of the factors show that the presence of personal initiative and assertiveness are associated with higher level of contraception use.
- Baccalaureate nursing studies: voyaging towards discoveryMelanie Birks
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Monash University, Churchill, Victoria, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 12:267-72. 2006..These include an increased level of confidence and assertiveness, the development of critical thinking ability, and enhanced communication skills...
- Reducing adolescent use of harmful legal products: intermediate effects of a community prevention interventionPaul J Gruenewald
Prevention Research Center, Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, Berkeley, California 94704, USA
Subst Use Misuse 44:2080-98. 2009..Community mobilization, environmental and school-based strategies were implemented to reduce access, enhance knowledge of risks, and improve assertiveness and refusal skills.
- Women-Focused HIV Prevention in the Western CapeWendee M Wechsberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..sexual and physical) and the mediating effects of HIV risk knowledge, condom use skills, sexual negotiation assertiveness, and relationship power on the effectiveness of the woman-focused groups to decrease risk related to drug use, ..
- Women-Focused HIV Prevention in the Western CapeWendee Wechsberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..sexual and physical) and the mediating effects of HIV risk knowledge, condom use skills, sexual negotiation assertiveness, and relationship power on the effectiveness of the woman-focused groups to decrease risk related to drug use, ..
- HIV, ABUSE AND PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS AMONG YOUTHLarry Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004..affective dysregulation and dysfunctional cognitions that prevents them from having adequate communication and assertiveness skills that are necessary in sexual situations...
- Feasibility of Delivering a Text Messaging Enhanced Adolescent HIV CurriculumJUDITH CORNELIUS; Fiscal Year: 2009..hypothesized that adolescents who receive the BART+TM will show greater knowledge of HIV risk, greater sexual assertiveness skills, greater perception of individual HIV risk, fewer perceived barriers to condom use, and fewer HIV risk ..
- Explaining Disparities in the Care of Older PatientsJulie Irish; Fiscal Year: 2006..design to investigate systematically the effects of three patient factors (gender, race, and level of assertiveness) and three physician factors (gender, race, and years of clinical experience) on the process and content of ..
- ALCOHOL, HIV RISK BEHAVIORS AND VICTIMIZATIONMaria Testa; Fiscal Year: 2003..suggests that childhood abuse and risk- prone personality (high sensation- seeking, high negative affect, low assertiveness) lead women to engage in risky behaviors in adulthood (heavy alcohol and drug use and exposure to risky ..
- Alcohol and Women's Responses to AggressionMaria Testa; Fiscal Year: 2004..The role of several potential covariates: liking for man, assertiveness, alcohol expectancies, and previous aggression, also will be considered.
- Cognitive-Motivational Bahavior Therapy for GamblersEdelgard Wulfert; Fiscal Year: 2004..1997). Behavioral components (problem solving. assertiveness) will also be used to enhance coping skills...
- Competence Skills and Smoking Among Subgroups of YouthKENNETH GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., assertiveness, communication skills) and personal competence (e.g...
- INTERPERSONAL CONTEXT OF HIV RISK IN IMPOVERISHED WOMENJoan Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2004..involving the experience of violence and power imbalances in their relationships that may erode the assertiveness and communication skills necessary for women to protect themselves from HIV...