Summary: The health of women during PREGNANCY; childbirth and the POSTPARTUM PERIOD.
- Santos Ferreira D, Williams D, Kangas A, Soininen P, Ala Korpela M, Smith G, et al. Association of pre-pregnancy body mass index with offspring metabolic profile: Analyses of 3 European prospective birth cohorts. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002376 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that maternal BMI-offspring metabolome associations are likely to be largely due to shared genetic or familial lifestyle confounding rather than to intrauterine mechanisms. ..
- Eriksson L, Bergstrom A, Hoa D, Nga N, Eldh A. Sustainability of knowledge implementation in a low- and middle- income context: Experiences from a facilitation project in Vietnam targeting maternal and neonatal health. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182626 pubmed publisher..Most importantly, trials in this and similar contexts require deliberate management throughout and beyond the project lifetime, and engagement of key stakeholders, in order to promote and sustain knowledge implementation. ..
- Retnakaran R, Wen S, Tan H, Zhou S, Ye C, Shen M, et al. Maternal pre-gravid cardiometabolic health and infant birthweight: A prospective pre-conception cohort study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:723-730 pubmed publisher..93 per kg, 0.89-0.97). Maternal weight before and during pregnancy is the predominant cardiometabolic determinant of infant birthweight, rather than pre-gravid blood pressure, glucose or lipid profile. ..
- Powell A, DeVita J, Ogburu Ogbonnaya A, Peterson A, Lazenby G. The Effect of HIV-Centered Obstetric Care on Perinatal Outcomes Among a Cohort of Women Living With HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75:431-438 pubmed publisher..0001). HCC can potentially reduce the risk of perinatal HIV transmission by improving maternal virologic control during pregnancy and postpartum and increasing postpartum contraceptive use. ..
- Sharma S, Adetoro O, Vidler M, Drebit S, Payne B, Akeju D, et al. A process evaluation plan for assessing a complex community-based maternal health intervention in Ogun State, Nigeria. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:238 pubmed publisherDespite increased investment in community-level maternal health interventions, process evaluations of such interventions are uncommon, and can be instrumental in understanding mediating factors leading to outcomes...
- Shakya H, Stafford D, Hughes D, Keegan T, Negron R, Broome J, et al. Exploiting social influence to magnify population-level behaviour change in maternal and child health: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial of network targeting algorithms in rural Honduras. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e012996 pubmed publisher..We will also develop a 'toolkit' for practitioners to use in network-based intervention efforts, including public release of our network mapping software. NCT02694679; Pre-results. ..
- Mohammed B, Johnston J, Harwell J, Yi H, Tsang K, Haidar J. Intimate partner violence and utilization of maternal health care services in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:178 pubmed publisher..And as many of sub-Saharan African countries, maternal health care services utilization remains poor...
- . Kazakhstan gears up to launch social health insurance. Bull World Health Organ. 2016;94:792-793 pubmed..Twenty years ago Yelzhan Birtanov was a physician working in one of Kazakhstan's hospitals, today he is helping to roll out universal coverage of health services in the Central Asian country. He talks to Vijay Shankar Balakrishnan. ..
- Ayalew F, Eyassu G, Seyoum N, van Roosmalen J, Bazant E, Kim Y, et al. Using a quality improvement model to enhance providers' performance in maternal and newborn health care: a post-only intervention and comparison design. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:115 pubmed publisher..The findings will also guide implementation of the government's five-year (2015-2020) health sector transformation plan and health care quality strategies needed to meet the country's MNH goals. ..
- Odle J, Jacobi S, Boyd R, Bauman D, Anthony R, Bazer F, et al. The Potential Impact of Animal Science Research on Global Maternal and Child Nutrition and Health: A Landscape Review. Adv Nutr. 2017;8:362-381 pubmed publisher..Better appreciation of the close linkage between human health, medicine, and agriculture will identify opportunities that will enable faster and more efficient innovations in global maternal and child health. ..
- Ekirapa Kiracho E, Namazzi G, Tetui M, Mutebi A, Waiswa P, Oo H, et al. Unlocking community capabilities for improving maternal and newborn health: participatory action research to improve birth preparedness, health facility access, and newborn care in rural Uganda. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16:638 pubmed publisher..Collaborative problem solving among diverse stakeholders, continuous support and a participatory approach that allowed flexibility were essential project characteristics that enabled overcoming of challenges faced. ..
- Lazariu V, Nguyen T, McNutt L, Jeffrey J, Kacica M. Severe maternal morbidity: A population-based study of an expanded measure and associated factors. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182343 pubmed publisher..arrest during the delivery hospitalization period can lead to extended length of hospital stays, life-long maternal health problems, and high medical costs...
- Paina L, Vadrevu L, Hanifi S, Akuze J, Rieder R, Chan K, et al. What is the role of community capabilities for maternal health? An exploration of community capabilities as determinants to institutional deliveries in Bangladesh, India, and Uganda. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16:621 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the role of community capabilities on access to maternal health services has been underexplored...
- Popo E, Kenyon S, Dann S, MacArthur C, Blissett J. Effects of lay support for pregnant women with social risk factors on infant development and maternal psychological health at 12 months postpartum. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182544 pubmed publisher..The effects of the intervention may be underestimated given that those women who completed follow up had better mental health than the original study sample. Controlled-Trials.com ISRCTN35027323. ..
- Kurtay A, Ozayar E, Gulec H, Yildiz G, Turkyilmaz E, Yildiz Z, et al. Effect of Uterine Fundal Pressure on Maternal Intraocular Pressure in Cesarean Delivery: Comparison of Regional and General Anesthesia. J Glaucoma. 2017;26:708-711 pubmed publisher..Mean arterial pressure was significantly lower in group S at all timepoints except T1. In conclusion, fundal pressure may significantly increase the IOP, but the choice of anesthetic technique may not have any effect on IOP. ..
- Shewamene Z, Dune T, Smith C. The use of traditional medicine in maternity care among African women in Africa and the diaspora: a systematic review. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:382 pubmed publisher..Further research is required to examine the various types of traditional and cultural health practices (other than herbal medicine), the beliefs towards TM, and the health seeking behaviors of African women in Africa and the diaspora. ..
- Gibson M, Thomson H, Banas K, Lutje V, McKee M, Martin S, et al. Welfare-to-work interventions and their effects on the mental and physical health of lone parents and their children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;8:CD009820 pubmed publisher..Perhaps because of this, depression also remained very high for lone parents whether they were in WtW or not. There is a lack of robust evidence on the health effects of WtW for lone parents outside North America. ..
- Tully K, Stuebe A, Verbiest S. The fourth trimester: a critical transition period with unmet maternal health needs. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:37-41 pubmed publisher..b>Maternal health issues in the fourth trimester intersect and can compound one another...
- Fetene D, Betts K, Alati R. MECHANISMS IN ENDOCRINOLOGY: Maternal thyroid dysfunction during pregnancy and behavioural and psychiatric disorders of children: a systematic review. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:R261-R273 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to review the available evidence concerning the relationship between maternal thyroid status during pregnancy and offspring behavioural and psychiatric disorders...
- Bose C, Bauserman M, Goldenberg R, Goudar S, McClure E, Pasha O, et al. The Global Network Maternal Newborn Health Registry: a multi-national, community-based registry of pregnancy outcomes. Reprod Health. 2015;12 Suppl 2:S1 pubmed publisher..The MNHR, an international, multicenter, population-based registry, assesses pregnancy outcomes over time in support of efforts to develop improved perinatal healthcare in resource-limited areas. ..
- Haider M, Rahman M, Moinuddin M, Rahman A, Ahmed S, Khan M. Impact of maternal and neonatal health initiatives on inequity in maternal health care utilization in Bangladesh. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181408 pubmed publisher..The concentration indices (CI) for various maternal health service utilization in 2013 were found to be lower than the indices in 2008...