Genomes and Genes
Summary: Naphthalene derivatives carrying one or more hydroxyl (-OH) groups at any ring position. They are often used in dyes and pigments, as antioxidants for rubber, fats, and oils, as insecticides, in pharmaceuticals, and in numerous other applications.
- Dzialowski A, Smith V, Huggins D, Denoyelles F, Lim N, Baker D, et al. Development of predictive models for geosmin-related taste and odor in Kansas, USA, drinking water reservoirs. Water Res. 2009;43:2829-40 pubmed publisher..Growth limitation by inorganic phosphorus appeared to be the primary determinant of geosmin production by algal cells in these reservoirs. ..
- Mai A, Massa S, Lavu S, Pezzi R, Simeoni S, Ragno R, et al. Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of sirtinol analogues as class III histone/protein deacetylase (Sirtuin) inhibitors. J Med Chem. 2005;48:7789-95 pubmed..Both (R)- and (S)-sirtinol had similar inhibitory effects on the yeast and human enzymes, demonstrating no enantioselective inhibitory effect. ..
- Jeong S, Jo W, Song S, Suh H, Seol S, Leem S, et al. A novel resveratrol derivative, HS1793, overcomes the resistance conferred by Bcl-2 in human leukemic U937 cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2009;77:1337-47 pubmed publisher..Further understanding exactly how HS-1793 overcomes the resistance conferred by Bcl-2 via 14-3-3 may guide the development of future anticancer agents. ..
- Della Morte D, Dave K, DeFazio R, Bao Y, Raval A, Perez Pinzon M. Resveratrol pretreatment protects rat brain from cerebral ischemic damage via a sirtuin 1-uncoupling protein 2 pathway. Neuroscience. 2009;159:993-1002 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, in vivo resveratrol pretreatment confers neuroprotection similar to IPC via the SIRT1-UCP2 pathway. ..
- Shen Z, Ajmo J, Rogers C, Liang X, Le L, Murr M, et al. Role of SIRT1 in regulation of LPS- or two ethanol metabolites-induced TNF-alpha production in cultured macrophage cell lines. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;296:G1047-53 pubmed publisher..Our study provides new insights into understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying the development of alcoholic steatohepatitis. ..
- Kim H, Kim Y, Lee H, Kawamoto T, Yang M, Katoh T. Assay of 2-naphthol in human urine by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl. 1999;734:211-7 pubmed..03 ng/ml (8.49 micromol/mol creatinine)+/-6.16 ng/ml (10.23 micromol/mol creatinine), was significantly higher than that of non-smokers, 2.49 ng/ml (4.10 micromol/mol creatinine)+/-3.92 ng/ml (7.03 micromol/mol creatinine). ..
- Kim S, Lee K, Park S, Min K, Choe Y, Moon H, et al. Involvement of sirtuin 1 in airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness of allergic airway disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;125:449-460.e14 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that inhibition of SIRT1 might attenuate antigen-induced airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness through the modulation of vascular endothelial growth factor expression mediated by HIF-1alpha in mice. ..
- Sewgobind N, Wanner M, Ingemann S, de Gelder R, van Maarseveen J, Hiemstra H. Enantioselective BINOL-phosphoric acid catalyzed Pictet-Spengler reactions of N-benzyltryptamine. J Org Chem. 2008;73:6405-8 pubmed publisher..For the aliphatic aldehydes, 3,5-bistrifluoromethylphenyl-substituted BINOL-phosphoric acid was identified as the best catalyst...
- Hu H, Horton J, Gryk M, Prasad R, Naron J, Sun D, et al. Identification of small molecule synthetic inhibitors of DNA polymerase beta by NMR chemical shift mapping. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39736-44 pubmed..Our results illustrate that NMR-based mapping techniques can be used in the design of small molecule enzyme inhibitors including those with potential use in a clinical setting. ..
- Serdar B, Egeghy P, Gibson R, Rappaport S. Dose-dependent production of urinary naphthols among workers exposed to jet fuel (JP-8). Am J Ind Med. 2004;46:234-44 pubmed..Urinary naphthols have been suggested as useful biomarkers of exposure to JP-8...
- Sardar P, Samanta S, Maity S, Dasgupta S, Ghosh S. Energy transfer photophysics from serum albumins to sequestered 3-hydroxy-2-naphthoic acid, an excited state intramolecular proton-transfer probe. J Phys Chem B. 2008;112:3451-61 pubmed publisher..Docking studies support the larger rotational correlation time, thetac (approximately 50 ns), observed for Trp residue/residues in the complexes of HSA and BSA compared with that in the free proteins. ..
- Söderpalm Berndes C, Onfelt A. The action of carbaryl and its metabolite alpha-naphthol on mitosis in V79 Chinese hamster fibroblasts. Indications of the involvement of some cholinester in cell division. Mutat Res. 1988;201:349-63 pubmed..We therefore propose the involvement of some cholinester in the process of cell division...
- Deacon S, Beeser A, Fukui J, Rennefahrt U, Myers C, Chernoff J, et al. An isoform-selective, small-molecule inhibitor targets the autoregulatory mechanism of p21-activated kinase. Chem Biol. 2008;15:322-31 pubmed publisher..These studies illustrate an alternative strategy for kinase inhibition and introduce a highly selective, cell-permeable chemical inhibitor of Pak. ..
- Marchais Oberwinkler S, Kruchten P, Frotscher M, Ziegler E, Neugebauer A, Bhoga U, et al. Substituted 6-phenyl-2-naphthols. Potent and selective nonsteroidal inhibitors of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (17beta-HSD1): design, synthesis, biological evaluation, and pharmacokinetics. J Med Chem. 2008;51:4685-98 pubmed publisher..Thirty-seven novel substituted 6-phenyl-2-naphthols were synthesized and evaluated for 17beta-HSD1 inhibition, selectivity toward 17beta-HSD2 and the estrogen ..
- Serdar B, Egeghy P, Waidyanatha S, Gibson R, Rappaport S. Urinary biomarkers of exposure to jet fuel (JP-8). Environ Health Perspect. 2003;111:1760-4 pubmed..We conclude that urinary naphthalene and the naphthols can serve as biomarkers of exposure to jet fuel...
- Kalle A, Mallika A, Badiger J, Alinakhi -, Talukdar P, Sachchidanand -. Inhibition of SIRT1 by a small molecule induces apoptosis in breast cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;401:13-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study indicates the potent apoptotic effects of JGB1741 in MDA-MB 231 cells. ..
- Best J, Amezcua C, Mayr B, Flechner L, Murawsky C, Emerson B, et al. Identification of small-molecule antagonists that inhibit an activator: coactivator interaction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17622-7 pubmed..These results demonstrate the ability of small molecules to interfere with second-messenger signaling cascades by inhibiting specific protein-protein interactions in the nucleus. ..
- Mewshaw R, Edsall R, Yang C, Manas E, Xu Z, Henderson R, et al. ERbeta ligands. 3. Exploiting two binding orientations of the 2-phenylnaphthalene scaffold to achieve ERbeta selectivity. J Med Chem. 2005;48:3953-79 pubmed..One compound (i.e., 47, WAY-202196) was further examined and found to be effective in two models of inflammation, suggesting that targeting ER may be therapeutically useful in treating certain chronic inflammatory diseases. ..
- Ota H, Tokunaga E, Chang K, Hikasa M, Iijima K, Eto M, et al. Sirt1 inhibitor, Sirtinol, induces senescence-like growth arrest with attenuated Ras-MAPK signaling in human cancer cells. Oncogene. 2006;25:176-85 pubmed..These results suggest that inhibitors for Sirt1 may have anticancer potential, and that impaired activation of Ras-MAPK pathway might take part in a senescence-like growth arrest program induced by Sirtinol. ..
- Guo Q, Wu Z, Luo Z, Liu Q, Ye J, Luo S, et al. Highly enantioselective oxidative couplings of 2-naphthols catalyzed by chiral bimetallic oxovanadium complexes with either oxygen or air as oxidant. J Am Chem Soc. 2007;129:13927-38 pubmedThe chiral bimetallic oxovanadium complexes have been designed for the enantioselective oxidative coupling of 2-naphthols bearing various substituents at C6 and/or C7...
- Lara E, Mai A, Calvanese V, Altucci L, Lopez Nieva P, Martinez Chantar M, et al. Salermide, a Sirtuin inhibitor with a strong cancer-specific proapoptotic effect. Oncogene. 2009;28:781-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results underline Salermide's promise as an anticancer drug and provide evidence for the molecular mechanism through which Sirt1 is involved in human tumorigenesis. ..
- Viaud J, Peterson J. An allosteric kinase inhibitor binds the p21-activated kinase autoregulatory domain covalently. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009;8:2559-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, cell experiments using IPA-3 implicate Pak1 in phorbol-ester-stimulated membrane ruffling. This study reveals a novel allosteric mechanism for kinase inhibition through covalent targeting of a regulatory domain. ..
- Chao Y, Kupper L, Serdar B, Egeghy P, Rappaport S, Nylander French L. Dermal exposure to jet fuel JP-8 significantly contributes to the production of urinary naphthols in fuel-cell maintenance workers. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:182-5 pubmed..Levels of urinary 1- and 2-naphthols were determined in urine samples and used as biomarkers of JP-8 exposure...
- Araki T, Sasaki Y, Milbrandt J. Increased nuclear NAD biosynthesis and SIRT1 activation prevent axonal degeneration. Science. 2004;305:1010-3 pubmed..These findings suggest that novel therapeutic strategies directed at increasing the supply of NAD and/or Sir2 activation may be effective for treatment of diseases characterized by axonopathy and neurodegeneration. ..
- Yang X, Zhang Y. Effect of temperature and sorbitol in improving the solubility of carboxylesterases protein CpCE-1 from Cydia pomonella and biochemical characterization. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2013;97:10423-33 pubmed publisher..pomonella in vitro. This is the first report of the characterization of CEs protein from C. pomonella. ..
- Celebi M, Kaya M, Altikatoglu M, Yildirim H. Enzymatic decolorization of anthraquinone and diazo dyes using horseradish peroxidase enzyme immobilized onto various polysulfone supports. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2013;171:716-30 pubmed publisher..In addition, storage activity of free and immobilized enzymes was determined at 4 °C at different incubation days. ..
- Liu P, Xu N, Malyukova A, Scarlett C, Sun Y, Zhang X, et al. The histone deacetylase SIRT2 stabilizes Myc oncoproteins. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:503-14 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a novel pathway critical for Myc oncoprotein stability, and provide important evidences for potential application of SIRT2 inhibitors for the prevention and therapy of Myc-induced malignancies. ..
- Wallingford A, Cha D, Linn C, Wolfin M, Loeb G. Robust Manipulations of Pest Insect Behavior Using Repellents and Practical Application for Integrated Pest Management. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:1041-1050 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for further study of repellents for practical use in the field are discussed...
- Miao F, Zhou J, Tian D, Li H. Enantioselective recognition of mandelic acid with (R)-1,1-bi-2-naphthol-linked calixarene via fluorescence and dynamic light scattering. Org Lett. 2012;14:3572-5 pubmed publisher..Using this dynamic light-scattering technique, the detection sensitivity was improved almost 100-fold, with a detection limit of 2.0 × 10(-7) M, compared with fluorescent methods. ..
- Giorgi G, Maiti S, López Alvarado P, Menéndez J. Synthesis of benzo- and naphtho-fused bicyclo[n.3.1]alkane frameworks with a bridgehead nitrogen function by palladium-catalyzed intramolecular ?'-arylation of ?-nitroketones. Org Biomol Chem. 2011;9:2722-30 pubmed publisher..In some of the reactions starting from ?-nitrocyclooctanone, the major products were fused indane derivatives arising from an intramolecular attack of an intermediate Pd species onto the carbonyl group, followed by elimination. ..
- Veljkovic J, Uzelac L, Molcanov K, Mlinarić Majerski K, Kralj M, Wan P, et al. Sterically congested adamantylnaphthalene quinone methides. J Org Chem. 2012;77:4596-610 pubmed publisher..On irradiation of QMP 5 in CH(3)OH-H(2)O (4:1), the quantum yield of methanolysis is ? = 0.70. Excitation of naphthols QMP 6-8 to S(1) in CH(3)CN leads to photoionization and formation of naphthoxyl radicals...
- Kim H, Hwang J, Ha E, Park H, Ha M, Lee S, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake influences the association between exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and a marker of oxidative stress in pregnant women. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011;65:1118-25 pubmed publisher..5?mg/day), respectively. These results suggest that an adequate maternal intake of fruit, vegetables and vitamin C is beneficial to the defense against the oxidative stress associated with exposure to PAHs in pregnant women. ..
- Ho L, Sawade E, Newcombe G. Biological treatment options for cyanobacteria metabolite removal--a review. Water Res. 2012;46:1536-48 pubmed publisher..This review encapsulates all the relevant information to date in one document and provides insights into how biological treatment options can be implemented in treatment plants for optimum cyanobacterial metabolite removal...
- Paull D, Fang C, Donald J, Pansick A, Martin S. Bifunctional catalyst promotes highly enantioselective bromolactonizations to generate stereogenic C-Br bonds. J Am Chem Soc. 2012;134:11128-31 pubmed publisher..We also disclose the first catalytic desymmetrization of a prochiral dienoic acid by enantioselective bromolactonization. ..
- Petrakis E, Cagliani L, Tarantilis P, Polissiou M, Consonni R. Sudan dyes in adulterated saffron (Crocus sativus L.): Identification and quantification by (1)H NMR. Food Chem. 2017;217:418-424 pubmed publisher..14-7.1g/kg) by considering the NMR signal occurring at 8.064ppm. The high linearity, accuracy and rapidity of investigation enable high resolution (1)H NMR spectroscopy to be used for evaluation of saffron adulteration with Sudan dyes. ..
- Li Q, He M, Zhou F, Ye F, Gao S. Activation of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) by inhibitors of class III histone deacetylases: identification of sirtuin 1 as a regulator of the KSHV life cycle. J Virol. 2014;88:6355-67 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that SIRTs regulate KSHV latency by inhibiting different stages of viral lytic replication and link the cellular metabolic state with the KSHV life cycle. ..
- Hu X, Cai Q, Fan Y, Ye T, Cao Y, Guo C. Molecularly imprinted polymer coated solid-phase microextraction fibers for determination of Sudan I-IV dyes in hot chili powder and poultry feed samples. J Chromatogr A. 2012;1219:39-46 pubmed publisher..The limits of detection of Sudan I-IV dyes were within 2.5-4.6 ng g(-1), and the spiked recoveries were in the range of 86.3-96.3% for hot chili powder sample and 84.6-97.4% for poultry feed sample. ..
- Dohi T, Takenaga N, Nakae T, Toyoda Y, Yamasaki M, Shiro M, et al. Asymmetric dearomatizing spirolactonization of naphthols catalyzed by spirobiindane-based chiral hypervalent iodine species. J Am Chem Soc. 2013;135:4558-66 pubmed publisher..asymmetric induction of the chiral spiro center during the oxidative dearomatizing spirolactonization of naphthols. In this study we synthesized a new series of ortho-functionalized spirobiindane catalysts and demonstrated that ..
- Hou L, Zhu D, Wang X, Wang L, Zhang C, Chen W. Adsorption of phenanthrene, 2-naphthol, and 1-naphthylamine to colloidal oxidized multiwalled carbon nanotubes: effects of humic acid and surfactant modification. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:493-500 pubmed publisher..An important implication is that humic substances and surfactant-like materials not only facilitate the formation of colloidal carbon nanoparticles but also affect how these colloidal carbon nanoparticles adsorb organic contaminants. ..
- Wang J, Wei K, Li H, Li Q, Li J, Xu T. A sensitive and selective enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the analysis of Para red in foods. Analyst. 2012;137:2136-42 pubmed publisher..This assay was compared to a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for 28 samples, displaying a good correlation (R(2) = 0.95). Para red residues in 53 real world samples determined by ELISA were below the limit of detection. ..
- Hoover W, Zhang W, Xue Z, Gao H, Chernoff J, Clapp D, et al. Inhibition of p21 activated kinase (PAK) reduces airway responsiveness in vivo and in vitro in murine and human airways. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42601 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that Pak is a critical component of the contractile activation process in airway smooth muscle, and suggest that Pak inhibition could provide a novel strategy for reducing airway hyperresponsiveness. ..
- Yu S, Ramkumar G, Lee Y. Light quality influences the virulence and physiological responses of Colletotrichum acutatum causing anthracnose in pepper plants. J Appl Microbiol. 2013;115:509-16 pubmed publisher..This is the first report on the effect of light quality on the virulence of C. acutatum. The findings of this study will broaden our knowledge of the influence of light on physiological responses of fungal pathogens. ..
- Shintani M, Matsuo Y, Sakuraba S, Matubayasi N. Interaction of naphthalene derivatives with lipids in membranes studied by the 1H-nuclear Overhauser effect and molecular dynamics simulation. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2012;14:14049-60 pubmed..When 1-naphthol and 1-methylnaphthalene are compared, the NOE is stronger for 1-naphthol due to the restricted motion of the OH group. The slowdown of the 1-naphthol motion is also evidenced by the (1)H spectral line width. ..
- Gong D, Zhang J, Yu M, Zhuang B, Guo Q. Inhibition of SIRT1 combined with gemcitabine therapy for pancreatic carcinoma. Clin Interv Aging. 2013;8:889-97 pubmed publisher..The combination therapy method is a potential treatment method for pancreatic carcinoma. ..
- Rūta I, Juozas K. Effects of rhamnolipid biosurfactant JBR425 and synthetic surfactant surfyno1465 on the peroxidase-catalyzed oxidation of 2-naphthol. J Environ Sci (China). 2013;25:1431-40 pubmed..When biosurfactants' concentrations are larger than CMC, (bio)surfactants have an opposite effect on the oxidation of 2-naphthol by peroxidase. ..
- Fang W, Ji S, Jiang N, Wang W, Zhao G, Zhang S, et al. Naphthol radical couplings determine structural features and enantiomeric excess of dalesconols in Daldinia eschscholzii. Nat Commun. 2012;3:1039 pubmed publisher..The observed (-)-enantiomeric excess is found to depend on the dominance of particular conformers of naphthol dimer intermediates, which are ligands of laccase. ..
- Hart Y, Antebi Y, Mayo A, Friedman N, Alon U. Design principles of cell circuits with paradoxical components. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8346-51 pubmed publisher..These functions include for different circuits maintenance of homeostatic cell concentrations, robust regulation of differentiation processes, and robust pulses of cells or cytokines. ..
- Gonec T, Kos J, Zadrazilova I, Pesko M, Govender R, Keltosova S, et al. Antibacterial and herbicidal activity of ring-substituted 2-hydroxynaphthalene-1-carboxanilides. Molecules. 2013;18:9397-419 pubmed publisher..aureus and MIC = 51.9 µmol/L against M. marinum, or 2-hydroxy-N-phenylnaphthalene-1-carboxamide demonstrated MIC = 15.2 µmol/L against M. kansasii. The structure-activity relationships for all compounds are discussed. ..
- Ramshesh V, Lemasters J. Imaging of mitochondrial pH using SNARF-1. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;810:243-8 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the ability of laser scanning confocal microscopy to image the intracellular distribution of pH in living cells and to determine mitochondrial ?pH. ..
- Jiang M, Li B, Xie F, Delaney F, Xiao X. Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of conformationally constrained analogues of naphthol AS-E as inhibitors of CREB-mediated gene transcription. J Med Chem. 2012;55:4020-4 pubmed publisher..Biological evaluation of these analogues suggests that the global energy minimum of 1 is the likely bioactive conformation. ..